Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1327Likes

post #3961 of 5300 Old 05-07-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quick question before pulling the trigger to getting a 7.1 / 7.2

For ATMOS do you lay the rear speakers horizontally and point them up?

Also I don't really turn up bass much on the TV but is there any benefit other than more bass on the 7.2 vs 7.1? I'm mostly interested in the ATMOS/DTSX aspects but can't fit a 9.2 system (no back wall and stands are a no go.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 5300 Old 05-07-2019, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
-snip-

Didn't know if you increase the right side to +1 the LEFT would actually get louder

No

Quote:
I thought you would set the left side to +1 to make the left side louder
You were correct in saying this - I was just reconfirming but in more detail.
stu5797 likes this.
post #3963 of 5300 Old 05-07-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimcorner View Post

Also I don't really turn up bass much on the TV but is there any benefit other than more bass on the 7.2 vs 7.1? I'm mostly interested in the ATMOS/DTSX aspects but can't fit a 9.2 system (no back wall and stands are a no go.)
I have a 7.1 and there is plenty of bass. Only difference besides more bass is that the ATMOS update doesn't arrive until next month for the 7.1 and the 7.2 has it now. Although, the recent consensus around here is that the sound bar sounded better prior to the update. So I am not even sure if I'll update mine it sounds so good.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3964 of 5300 Old 05-07-2019, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Did you set the left side to +1 to make the RIGHT side louder? I thought you would set the left side to +1 to make the left side louder. Thanks
Hi. I'm sorry about that. It was a typo. I meant to say that I set the Right to +1 higher than the left. My settings for those are actually R+3 and L+2. My kitchen to my right.
post #3965 of 5300 Old 05-07-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I also increase the right side rear speakers to plus 3 but I really can't tell if there is actually increase on the right side. Is it noticeable for you
post #3966 of 5300 Old 05-07-2019, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
stu i think it was you that says you’re latest update resolved your issues with your 4k firestick i was wondering what issues you were having. i almost exclusively use a firestick 4k for my media.
post #3967 of 5300 Old 05-07-2019, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes, I was having issues with my firestick on the previous firmware. anytime I would fast forward or rewind a movie the sound would cut out completely and I would have to restart the movie. An Example was I was watching Jack Ryan and I could not pause, fast forward or rewind unless I wanted the volume to completely cut out. The new firmware fixes this so it's perfect
post #3968 of 5300 Old 05-07-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I also increase the right side rear speakers to plus 3 but I really can't tell if there is actually increase on the right side. Is it noticeable for you
I can tell the difference. When I was setting those what i did was turn down the center channel all the way down so that i could more easily hear the difference in volume and made sure the room was quiet and also closed my eyes... which helps... then bring the center back up. Then i saved that to memory 2. and the previous settings to memory 1... and switch back and forth to compare and then tweak.

Last edited by CheetahAce; 05-07-2019 at 08:30 PM.
post #3969 of 5300 Old 05-08-2019, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
1 question I have for other owners. I am on the 2.1 firmware I believe and when I turn my tv on and change to directv box, the soundbar switches back over to ARC but i get no sound. I have to change inputs on the soundbar. Example- switch to HDMI 2 and then back to ARC and sound works again. Am I missing a setting to get that handshake working without having to do that every time? Or is this a known issue with this firmware on the 7.1 setup?

The directv box is connected via hdmi to the tv per Nakamichi suggestions. Soundbar is connected via HDMI to ARC on tv.
I have a 7.1 with Directv too and have issues with these sound cut outs. I don’t have a solution but noticed that I could get the sound to return to normal by just pausing and unpausing playback on the tv. It’s a quicker “fix” than skipping through the inputs. I haven’t really looked into it but believe it could be due to having it on the neural x setting because the sound doesn’t cut out completely, it just seems like the receiver is getting confused and outputting what should be coming out of the front channels to a different channel. Not sure if that makes sense but it’s very noticeable during sporting events.
post #3970 of 5300 Old 05-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovehd View Post
I have a 7.1 with Directv too and have issues with these sound cut outs. I don’t have a solution but noticed that I could get the sound to return to normal by just pausing and unpausing playback on the tv. It’s a quicker “fix” than skipping through the inputs. I haven’t really looked into it but believe it could be due to having it on the neural x setting because the sound doesn’t cut out completely, it just seems like the receiver is getting confused and outputting what should be coming out of the front channels to a different channel. Not sure if that makes sense but it’s very noticeable during sporting events.
I have my Directv Genie box connected to my Naka 7.1 via HDMI 2, which is against what Naka recommends. I get great 5.1 DD sound with NO cutouts using the HDMI connection to the Naka. I really don't know why Naka recommends connecting Directv to the TV then to the Naka via ARC. I really see no advantage. The only thing I use ARC for in terms of sound is streaming from my Vizio TV's apps.

I'd recommend changing your connection and see how it works.
DavAbq likes this.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #3971 of 5300 Old 05-08-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimcorner View Post

I have a 7.1 and there is plenty of bass. Only difference besides more bass is that the ATMOS update doesn't arrive until next month for the 7.1 and the 7.2 has it now. Although, the recent consensus around here is that the sound bar sounded better prior to the update. So I am not even sure if I'll update mine it sounds so good.
Sounds better with some content. I believe the consensus is that Dolby Atmos doesn't sound as good as Neural X, but that Dolby surround (any dolby 5.1 source) is greatly improved, as is sound from a blutooth source.
post #3972 of 5300 Old 05-08-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheetahAce View Post
Hi. I'm sorry about that. It was a typo. I meant to say that I set the Right to +1 higher than the left. My settings for those are actually R+3 and L+2. My kitchen to my right.
How do you set the sound like that i can only turn surround right down or surround back no left or anything.
post #3973 of 5300 Old 05-08-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post
How do you set the sound like that i can only turn surround right down or surround back no left or anything.
Switch the input to ARC. Then hit the setup button repeatedly to cycle through those options. There are 5 or 6 options in there available for configuration. You'll see RSURR and LSURR. The 'surround right' you are setting is probably SR which is just 'surround'. I think maybe that's the overall surround effect? .. or the fronts maybe? .. but you want RSURR and LSURR. Hit enter or ok to select the setting you want to change. then adjust the values with the up/down buttons or the left right button.. one of those. then hit enter again to save that value. You can confirm your settings when using the info button.

Also available in those settings is the crossover settings 110, 140 and 180. The default is 180 but I prefer the sound at 140. I have those anti-vibration / isolation pads on my subwoofers which definitely improve subwoofer sound (they bring out more tone and reduce floor vibration etc if you don't know what those are). The subwoofers are great as is but pads improve any bass speaker. Anyway, maybe it's because I have those pads that I prefer the 140 setting. Definitely try to change the crossover settings and see what you like.

I use these isolation pads in case anyone wants to check them out. There are cheaper alternatives but these are popular and look cool so i got these. Makes a difference guaranteed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
limitz likes this.

Last edited by CheetahAce; 05-08-2019 at 10:28 PM.
post #3974 of 5300 Old 05-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:
-snip-
I use these isolation pads in case anyone wants to check them out. There are cheaper alternatives but these are popular and look cool so i got these. Makes a difference guaranteed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System are great love mines!

CheetahAce likes this.
post #3975 of 5300 Old 05-09-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can someone please tell me when you would want to change from Pure Direct to Neural X? I was under the impression that Nueral X was only for DTS encoded audio but it looks like you can select it for everything. I'm a bit confused.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #3976 of 5300 Old 05-09-2019, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by limitz View Post

SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System are great love mines!

For those of you who would like to know if this would for you, go to your local dollar store and buy a swimming noodle, cut 4 one inch pieces and place them under the four existing feet of the sub woofer and see if it makes a difference to the overall bass response. If it works for you and you want a OEM look setup, then the SVS SoundPath should be your choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noodle.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	928.7 KB
ID:	2564722  
atfree and Tranzotic54 like this.
post #3977 of 5300 Old 05-09-2019, 06:01 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Can someone please tell me when you would want to change from Pure Direct to Neural X? I was under the impression that Nueral X was only for DTS encoded audio but it looks like you can select it for everything. I'm a bit confused.
For the 7.1 DTSX, you should always be on Neural X so everything is properly upmixed. Once you get the Atmos upgrade, Dolby content will be processed by Dolby and DTS content by Neural X, best of both worlds.
post #3978 of 5300 Old 05-09-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
For the 7.1 DTSX, you should always be on Neural X so everything is properly upmixed. Once you get the Atmos upgrade, Dolby content will be processed by Dolby and DTS content by Neural X, best of both worlds.
Ok, so will I have to manually change from Pure Direct to Neural X anytime I see the DTX words popup when content starts? Or is there a way to defaut? And if I am not using Neural X, should I be using Pure Direct?

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E

Last edited by joshua goard; 05-09-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #3979 of 5300 Old 05-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Equipment: Nakamichi 7.2, Samsung UBD-M8500/ZA 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player, Apple TV 4K, Directv , Samsung 82MU8000

Upgrade to 3.2 went simply & flawlessly. Operation with all equipment was normal. The old original remote was (always) a pain and seriously lacks with FW3.2 so I got the new SSE remote (from Amazon) which is actually a pleasure to use. Drop the cash, you’ll be glad you did.

As good as I thought the Neural was on Atmos material, the new FW does make it even better. I did go through the first few days trying to compensate for an uneasiness in the audio. I finally realized it had to do with bass, a weird muffling. I further isolated it to mainly male voices. Memory finally kicked in to the previous experience with this. The bass crossover. Now, male voices range upwards from 85 or 100 Hz (depending on the source of information), with Barry White among the lowest at a reported 71 Hz. I’ve always been annoyed by splitting a voice between two speakers with lower half to woofer and upper half to midrange. I also don’t consider 110 - 180 Hz woofer or subwoofer material. Just my preference, yours may be different. So I reset the crossover to 110 Hz from the default 180 Hz as I had done on the previous FW upgrade and all is right in my world again.

As far as the Atmos performance from 4K UHD Blue Rays, Spider-man->Spiderverse [Sony] is terrific the entire disk. House With a Clock in Wall [Universal] also very good, a quick sampling of great immersive and localization audio for demo is chapter 16. GoG 2 is typical lame Disney audio, OK to listen to but wouldn’t use it as a demo. (I felt Disney audio improved at Ragnarok and Infinity Wars listening in Neural FW but don’t have time right now to drag them out now to test with the Atmos FW. )

Music much much better.

I don’t know if they used this upgrade to do other bug fixes but the problem with CEC not turning on the sound bar half the time seems to have gone away.

So, very happy with Nakamichi and FW 3.2 on the 7.2.

Last edited by DavAbq; 05-10-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Correct word, add music comment
post #3980 of 5300 Old 05-10-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Ok, so will I have to manually change from Pure Direct to Neural X anytime I see the DTX words popup when content starts? Or is there a way to defaut? And if I am not using Neural X, should I be using Pure Direct?
Once you set it to Neural X, it should remember it.
post #3981 of 5300 Old 05-10-2019, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
Equipment: Nakamichi 7.2, Samsung UBD-M8500/ZA 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player, Apple TV 4K, Directv , Samsung 82MU8000

The old original remote was (always) a pain and seriously lacks with FW3.2 so I got the new SSE remote (from Amazon) which is actually a pleasure to use. Drop the cash, you’ll be glad you did. .
I got the 7.1 DTS:X a couple months ago. The SSE remote looks pretty much identical to the one I got with mine (admittedly I'm at work so I can't 100% compare).

What's the difference?
post #3982 of 5300 Old 05-10-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I can tell the difference. When I was setting those what i did was turn down the center channel all the way down so that i could more easily hear the difference in volume and made sure the room was quiet and also closed my eyes... which helps... then bring the center back up. Then i saved that to memory 2. and the previous settings to memory 1... and switch back and forth to compare and then tweak.

Do you own the 7.1? I swear I can't hear a difference when my center is from to 0 to +10. Is it reall that noticeable? Been that way since I bought it. I also get occasional muted center channel when switching inputs. And have to pause the video and play it again to fix it. I have no other 7.1 to compare it to so can't determine if it's my hearing or the channel is not adjusting. I do notice that when selecting Movie the center channel is a lot louder, but once again I can't seem to adjust it in that mode. It might go up or down a little, or that might be me expecting it to. So please someone tell me if this is my hearing or the bar.

I bought a protection plan with it so if it is the bar.
post #3983 of 5300 Old 05-10-2019, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merijeek View Post
I got the 7.1 DTS:X a couple months ago. The SSE remote looks pretty much identical to the one I got with mine (admittedly I'm at work so I can't 100% compare).

What's the difference?
My preordered 7.2 was on the first boat load to the states. The remote has a couple PITA problems. The on/off function rarely works regardless of how hard you mash the button. The aiming is highly critical and difficult. There was a discussion early in this thread about it and early adopters speculated it was just weak on top of the other problems. The new SSE remote is very robust. Aim is necessary only in the general direction, like a normal remote. All the button functions work easily. That’s the big difference. If they improved the old remote in later shipments then you wouldn’t notice the difference. The other changes are relabeling the buttons for their new functions, cosmetic improvement.
post #3984 of 5300 Old 05-11-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpigdave View Post
Do you own the 7.1? I swear I can't hear a difference when my center is from to 0 to +10. Is it reall that noticeable? Been that way since I bought it. I also get occasional muted center channel when switching inputs. And have to pause the video and play it again to fix it. I have no other 7.1 to compare it to so can't determine if it's my hearing or the channel is not adjusting. I do notice that when selecting Movie the center channel is a lot louder, but once again I can't seem to adjust it in that mode. It might go up or down a little, or that might be me expecting it to. So please someone tell me if this is my hearing or the bar.

I bought a protection plan with it so if it is the bar.
I have the 7.2. The center and balances are working fine for me and are noticeable. I'm not sure I can help you with those issues. I don't know the soundbar as well as others here. I've seen the same issue your having reported numerous times on this forum so there is a solution i believe.

Maybe someone can chime in here and help this guy out please?

Also, I'd suggest contacting nakamichi support Their support is great and they will respond within 24 hours and they will work with you until the issue is solved. Just do a search on this forum and you'll see many testimonies to that.

You might want to verify that you have decent hdmi cables. I use the monoprice slim ones that are often mentioned here. But contact support first because they will help you eliminate other issues first before determining if it's a cable problem.

Last edited by CheetahAce; 05-11-2019 at 12:51 AM.
post #3985 of 5300 Old 05-11-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
I have the 7.2. The center and balances are working fine for me and are noticeable. I'm not sure I can help you with those issues. I don't know the soundbar as well as others here. I've seen the same issue your having reported numerous times on this forum so there is a solution i believe.

Maybe someone can chime in here and help this guy out please?

Also, I'd suggest contacting nakamichi support Their support is great and they will respond within 24 hours and they will work with you until the issue is solved. Just do a search on this forum and you'll see many testimonies to that.

You might want to verify that you have decent hdmi cables. I use the monoprice slim ones that are often mentioned here. But contact support first because they will help you eliminate other issues first before determining if it's a cable problem.

It was probably me posting the issue in previous posts. I have contacted naka and we've tried some resets and firmware installs. I just gave up on it until I saw the post about turning it down. In movie mode the center channel is too loud for my liking but I can't seem to adjust it. The display shows it being adjusted but my ears don't hear anything. Previously I owned a Vizio bar and I noticed a huge volume difference in adjusting the center channel. I love this bar but am annoyed by a couple of these issues. I am so close to returning it because it just seems like there's no noticeable adjustment in the center channel. I keep waiting for the new firmware but that usually does nothing. In Demo mode can the volume be adjusted? I ask because when I first thought I had this issue Naka mentioned trying to see if demo mode worked. My cables are Monoprice but not the slim ones. Would that make a difference if they weren't the slim model? I wouldn't think a cable would affect center channel adjustment.

I put my ear up to the center channel and adjusted it up and down and did hear a volume increase/decrease, but I was expecting a greater level. At 1 the center channel is still very noticeable, is it supposed to be like that? My Vizio the center channel at 1 was pretty much off.

The other night my son and I were watching a bluray and after fast forwarding to a scene the sound on the center channel was barely audible and sounded muffled. I rewound the scene and it still happened. After a couple rewinds it finally went to normal. Its odd. I really would like to upgrade my bar to 7.2 but I can’t sell this bar with the annoying issues I’ve been having because I’m afraid the person receiving it would experience these issues then want their money back.

I have a protection plan but don’t know if the bar with the annoying issues I’ve been having warrants or able to be returned. Plus I’d have to wait. The bar works but has these annoying issues. I’ve been talking with naka about this ever since I received the bar. Over a year ago.

Last edited by warpigdave; 05-11-2019 at 09:39 AM.
post #3986 of 5300 Old 05-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpigdave View Post
It was probably me posting the issue in previous posts. I have contacted naka and we've tried some resets and firmware installs. I just gave up on it until I saw the post about turning it down. In movie mode the center channel is too loud for my liking but I can't seem to adjust it. The display shows it being adjusted but my ears don't hear anything. Previously I owned a Vizio bar and I noticed a huge volume difference in adjusting the center channel. I love this bar but am annoyed by a couple of these issues. I am so close to returning it because it just seems like there's no noticeable adjustment in the center channel. I keep waiting for the new firmware but that usually does nothing. In Demo mode can the volume be adjusted? I ask because when I first thought I had this issue Naka mentioned trying to see if demo mode worked. My cables are Monoprice but not the slim ones. Would that make a difference if they weren't the slim model? I wouldn't think a cable would affect center channel adjustment.

I put my ear up to the center channel and adjusted it up and down and did hear a volume increase/decrease, but I was expecting a greater level. At 1 the center channel is still very noticeable, is it supposed to be like that? My Vizio the center channel at 1 was pretty much off.

The other night my son and I were watching a bluray and after fast forwarding to a scene the sound on the center channel was barely audible and sounded muffled. I rewound the scene and it still happened. After a couple rewinds it finally went to normal. Its odd. I really would like to upgrade my bar to 7.2 but I can’t sell this bar with the annoying issues I’ve been having because I’m afraid the person receiving it would experience these issues then want their money back.

I have a protection plan but don’t know if the bar with the annoying issues I’ve been having warrants or able to be returned. Plus I’d have to wait. The bar works but has these annoying issues. I’ve been talking with naka about this ever since I received the bar. Over a year ago.
If you have the 7.1 DTSX, wait for the Atmos upgrade cuz the soundbar cannot decode DD+ or TrueHD. Also make sure that your material is not PCM, if it does not have a discrete center channel track, adjusting it will not make a audible difference.
post #3987 of 5300 Old 05-11-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is anyone else playing anything that displays as "PCM"? Whenever I play my xfinity box with stereo sound it comes through as PCM and I only get sound coming from the soundbar and the subs, not the surround speakers... Dialogue is also coming through the subs which is very strange, but no sound at all from the surrounds... This is causing an extremely heavy bass sound. Thanks
post #3988 of 5300 Old 05-11-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
Is anyone else playing anything that displays as "PCM"? Whenever I play my xfinity box with stereo sound it comes through as PCM and I only get sound coming from the soundbar and the subs, not the surround speakers... Dialogue is also coming through the subs which is very strange, but no sound at all from the surrounds... This is causing an extremely heavy bass sound. Thanks
I noticed PCM was displaying on my Naka when watching DirecTV recently....seems either someone turned off the Dolby Audio option on the DirecTV box or a recent software update turned it off. I turned it back on and all is good now.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #3989 of 5300 Old 05-11-2019, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post

If you have the atmos upgrade, try selecting Dolby surround for the pcm source and keep surround on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3990 of 5300 Old 05-12-2019, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nak recommendations for Apple TV

So the manual for my new 9.2 SSE recommends the ATV audio setting of Change Format Off for Atmos source (the only way to get ATV to send Atmos) and Change Format On to Dolby Digital 5.1 for everything else.

I am curious as to why this should be the case. ATV with Change Format Off passes DD 5.1 content as LPCM 5.1. This should be a simple lossless channel to channel translation. Why should the passing of DD bitstream be any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page