Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1337Likes

post #4141 of 5343 Old 06-12-2019, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimaster5577 View Post
I asked that question today and they said any day this month, they are not sure the exact timing. So June [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
After waiting for a week, I finally got a response. They basically asked me a set of questions - firmware, connection, TV model, etc. - all of which I had clearly stated in my support ticket.

Anyway, now I wait again.

I think, when they release a firmware update for 7.1 pro system, which is slated for sometime this month, perhaps 7.2 and 9.2 systems will get one too!
The update for the 7.2 was released at the same time the re-updated firmware was released for the 9.2

Ao I'm assuming the first upgrade for the 7.1 version will be released at the same time the new 7.2 update with all (hopefully) issues solved will b released

Again - I was told "June" that the updated 7.2 will be released and they made it sound like they are collecting all issues and will re-release the firmware with these issues corrected
In The Bay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 5343 Old 06-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
There was that Atmos soundbar competition on the 10th. Don’t know if they competed but appearances at those events are important for small companies, and a big strain on their personnel. They have to pack up displays, usually drive it themselves, set up, man any booths and reverse the whole process. A days event can tie up a small company for over a week. They’ll be back in touch soon, I’m sure.
did you happen to hear the result of that competition?

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
post #4143 of 5343 Old 06-12-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellBoundSinner View Post
Hi all,
I just got my Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.2 Elite. First thing I did was update the firmware to FW32. It updated successfully and then I proceeded to hook everything up. I am using HDMI ARC and my Blu-Ray, Nvidia Shield, and my PC are hooked up to HDMI 2,3,4.

A couple of things to note. For some reason when I switch to my Samsung Blu-Ray, the video and audio will cut out periodically. I am using the bluerigger hdmi high speed cables. Not sure what would be causing the cut out just on that...i guess it could be ARC. Just wondering too about what settings everyone is using? I have a small room. I'm still confused about the Direct and Neural X...when I press direct on the remote all I get is dolby surround, dolby upmix and native. I know Neural is just for DTS but wondering how do I access that. Just wondering if I can tweak anything settings wise and just seeing what others are using to get peak performance from this beast. I love this system!!!
Neural X will only work on DTS sound format post 2.1 update. On the 2.1 you could upmix everything to neural x.

As I understand it the reason neural x was so highly praised is that it is basically a pseudo DTS:X which is the atmos competitor with object based surround. Since most tv shows, movies are encoded with some form of dolby sound- atmos, dolby digital, etc you could basically upmix everything to a pseudo DTS:X and it sounded very very good. On firmware 3.2 Naka was forced by dolby to stop upmixing dolby content to neural X. So if the movie or tv show doesn't have atmos encoding, but some other form of dolby you can no longer get object based surround upmixing.
In The Bay likes this.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)

Last edited by joshua goard; 06-12-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4144 of 5343 Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Minimum 7.2, 9.2 if budget allows. I love my 7.2 but regret not getting the 9.2, just... because. The 2018s sound great.
Agree, I should have probably gotten 9.2 too. I thought my room was too small for 9.2 - but with a Dipole configuration, I think I could have pulled it off
post #4145 of 5343 Old 06-12-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
There was that Atmos soundbar competition on the 10th. Don’t know if they competed but appearances at those events are important for small companies, and a big strain on their personnel. They have to pack up displays, usually drive it themselves, set up, man any booths and reverse the whole process. A days event can tie up a small company for over a week. They’ll be back in touch soon, I’m sure.
Ah ok, the Brian Tong thingie? It was near me in San Bruno. A colleague mentioned they were going gaga about Samsung Q90. Hope things were a blast for the Naka crew!
post #4146 of 5343 Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Ah ok, the Brian Tong thingie? It was near me in San Bruno. A colleague mentioned they were going gaga about Samsung Q90. Hope things were a blast for the Naka crew!
"They were going gaga about samsung q90"

What does gaga means? English is not my native language so it is kind a hard to understand.

Is it positive thing or negative?

post #4147 of 5343 Old 06-12-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhyena69 View Post
"They were going gaga about samsung q90"

What does gaga means? English is not my native language so it is kind a hard to understand.

Is it positive thing or negative?

Well, it means enthusiastic, thrilled. Of course, this is the vibe he got from what he told me a few minutes he stayed. And such things are always subjective.
post #4148 of 5343 Old 06-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Well, it means enthusiastic, thrilled. Of course, this is the vibe he got from what he told me a few minutes he stayed. And such things are always subjective.
Thanx

post #4149 of 5343 Old 06-12-2019, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for the help. That seemed to help me a bit. Just wondering too what people are using as far their settings go...bass, treble, surrounds, etc. Right now I just have everything defaulted. Wondering if there are any tweaks I can do to get the best out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Neural X will only work on DTS sound format post 2.1 update. On the 2.1 you could upmix everything to neural x.

As I understand it the reason neural x was so highly praised is that it is basically a pseudo DTS:X which is the atmos competitor with object based surround. Since most tv shows, movies are encoded with some form of dolby sound- atmos, dolby digital, etc you could basically upmix everything to a pseudo DTS:X and it sounded very very good. On firmware 3.2 Naka was forced by dolby to stop upmixing dolby content to neural X. So if the movie or tv show doesn't have atmos encoding, but some other form of dolby you can no longer get object based surround upmixing.
post #4150 of 5343 Old 06-12-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellBoundSinner View Post
Thank you for the help. That seemed to help me a bit. Just wondering too what people are using as far their settings go...bass, treble, surrounds, etc. Right now I just have everything defaulted. Wondering if there are any tweaks I can do to get the best out of it.
I would say those things are pretty subjective. I've left everything at default except I turned the right rear surround speaker up 2 notches because I sit closer to the left one.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #4151 of 5343 Old 06-13-2019, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey all. Anybody have the 2.1 firmware for the 7.2 elite? Want to downgrade until some of the issues for the 3.2 get sorted out.
Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4152 of 5343 Old 06-13-2019, 08:06 PM

What are people's results with the upgraded 7.2?? I'm tempted to go back to 2.1 version as I'm not sure how much better the update makes things, especially since I don't have any atmos content?

For someone who only uses 5.1 sources (cable, Netflix, prime) is there a bigger benefit to use the older nueral x upmix?? Thanks in advance!
post #4153 of 5343 Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
What are people's results with the upgraded 7.2?? I'm tempted to go back to 2.1 version as I'm not sure how much better the update makes things, especially since I don't have any atmos content?

For someone who only uses 5.1 sources (cable, Netflix, prime) is there a bigger benefit to use the older nueral x upmix?? Thanks in advance!
I suspect it’s the opposite. Most, if not all, of the streaming services use a stripped down Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) for 5.1, without the core DD you also get when you use a blu-ray disk. I believe the Atmos firmware update is what allows the Nakamichi soundbar to decode DD+. I don’t think it decoded the stripped down DD+ with the old firmware.

Note this may not matter depending on the source. If the source you’re using converts DD+ to DD, then you’ll get 5.1. If not, you won’t. Many of the streaming boxes just pass through DD+ and don’t do the conversion.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?

Last edited by dfkimbro; 06-13-2019 at 08:48 PM.
post #4154 of 5343 Old 06-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
After waiting for a week, I finally got a response. They basically asked me a set of questions - firmware, connection, TV model, etc. - all of which I had clearly stated in my support ticket.

Anyway, now I wait again.

I think, when they release a firmware update for 7.1 pro system, which is slated for sometime this month, perhaps 7.2 and 9.2 systems will get one too!
Nakamichi support has been frustrating. They respond in one liner - every 3-days and then nothing. And everytime I get a response, its another silly question: (a) What is the firmware version (I clearly stated in my very first ticket I am running F32). (b) Three days later, "what are your connections" - again, clearly explained in my ticket (c) Are you using recommended settings on ATV - already confirmed in my first ticket

It almost seems like they are buying time and dragging this conversation on with deliberately. Pretty frustrating!

Another thing I gathered from their latest response. "After firmware upgrade to 32, all streaming boxes need to be connected to the soundbar, but TV cable boxes should be connected directly to the TV".

I wonder why? My Xfinity box is connected to Nakamichi and works fine!
post #4155 of 5343 Old 06-14-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:

I have never used 2.1, so don't know. But F32 has been frustrating.

(a) Washing machine noise keeps coming back. Its so lound sometimes, enough to give you a heart attack.
(b) Bigger issue is sound distortion everytime I switch from PCM to non-PCM source - this is literally killing the Nakamichi experience for me

Support so far has been unhelpful and not even responsive.
post #4156 of 5343 Old 06-14-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nakamichi support has been frustrating. They respond in one liner - every 3-days and then nothing. And everytime I get a response, its another silly question: (a) What is the firmware version (I clearly stated in my very first ticket I am running F32). (b) Three days later, "what are your connections" - again, clearly explained in my ticket (c) Are you using recommended settings on ATV - already confirmed in my first ticket

It almost seems like they are buying time and dragging this conversation on with deliberately. Pretty frustrating!

Another thing I gathered from their latest response. "After firmware upgrade to 32, all streaming boxes need to be connected to the soundbar, but TV cable boxes should be connected directly to the TV".

I wonder why? My Xfinity box is connected to Nakamichi and works fine!
Address your email to Alberto. He is very helpful. I got the same lame runaround when I had an issue with the original one I got and I sent another email voicing my frustration and how I had heard from various sources that Nakamichi customer service was the best and I was not having a great experience so far. As soon as I sent that email, I got an email from Alberto within 30 minutes telling me a new one would be sent out. He for the most part has been very responsive to my emails.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #4157 of 5343 Old 06-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Address your email to Alberto. He is very helpful. I got the same lame runaround when I had an issue with the original one I got and I sent another email voicing my frustration and how I had heard from various sources that Nakamichi customer service was the best and I was not having a great experience so far. As soon as I sent that email, I got an email from Alberto within 30 minutes telling me a new one would be sent out. He for the most part has been very responsive to my emails.
Let me try that! I will respond to the same support alias, addressed to Alberto.

I am rather disappointed with Nakamichi's customer support so far.
post #4158 of 5343 Old 06-14-2019, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Suggestions to Nakamichi:

Bring back Neural:X upmixing option for PCM audio.

Have two different selections just like the "Dolby Surround" and "Dolby Upmix" options.

"DTS Surround" could be for 9.2+SSE for 9.2.4 audio.

"DTS Upmix" or simply "Neural X" could be for basic 9.2 upmixing.

This is something many of us are interested in, we would love for you to consider this idea!
post #4159 of 5343 Old 06-14-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris25999 View Post
Suggestions to Nakamichi:

Bring back Neural:X upmixing option for PCM audio.

Have two different selections just like the "Dolby Surround" and "Dolby Upmix" options.

"DTS Surround" could be for 9.2+SSE for 9.2.4 audio.

"DTS Upmix" or simply "Neural X" could be for basic 9.2 upmixing.

This is something many of us are interested in, we would love for you to consider this idea!

I think Neural X not being an option has more to do with Dolby than Nakamichi. If I am not mistaken, Dolby issued a statement that only Dolby processing can be used with Dolby, so you cannot use Neural X on a dolby signal anymore...thanks dolby.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #4160 of 5343 Old 06-14-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I think Neural X not being an option has more to do with Dolby than Nakamichi. If I am not mistaken, Dolby issued a statement that only Dolby processing can be used with Dolby, so you cannot use Neural X on a dolby signal anymore...thanks dolby.
https://www.audioholics.com/audio-te...upmixing-atmos
post #4161 of 5343 Old 06-14-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I have never used 2.1, so don't know. But F32 has been frustrating.

(a) Washing machine noise keeps coming back. Its so lound sometimes, enough to give you a heart attack.
(b) Bigger issue is sound distortion everytime I switch from PCM to non-PCM source - this is literally killing the Nakamichi experience for me

Support so far has been unhelpful and not even responsive.
The distortion for PCM is a huge deal w me I hope that u let nake support know this issue as well so hopefully it is taken care of!!
post #4162 of 5343 Old 06-14-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
The distortion for PCM is a huge deal w me I hope that u let nake support know this issue as well so hopefully it is taken care of!!
That's the one I've been talking to with Nakamichi for a week now - unsuccessfully. They keep asking redundant questions, as though to evade actually responding. I even pointed them to this thread and said, look, there are other people with same issues - no response yet. I am frankly super disappointed with the famous Nakamichi customer support, there seems to be none.
post #4163 of 5343 Old 06-15-2019, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
Bump...can anyone comment on audio lag with 3.2 firmware updathe on the 9.2 system, particularly with a Shield TV? Better? Worse? Same? Never noticed it in the first place?
I was wondering this myself and couldn't find an answer. Installed the update. There's still lag, though it feels like it's been cut in half. My LG TV apps via ARC (Netflix and Vudu) trigger in about 1.5 to 2 seconds now. Down from 3 to 5 with 3.1, though on 1.0c it was instant. Roku Ultra, Netflix and Vudu took about 2 seconds, though previews on Netflix were oddly instant. Nvidia Shield was triggering audio for Netflix previews instantly, but actual playback for Netflix and Vudu was taking as 4 seconds to trigger. 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos disc (13 Hours) on my Panasonic UB820 was taking 2.5 seconds. I had resorted to downgrading to 1.0c after the 5 to 7 second lag in 3.0 and 3.1 that included audio quality issues, but I'll keep 3.2 which is clearly an improvement for the 9.2 system

edit note: corrected Netflix for Roku and Shield. Previews are instant, actual playback isn't

Last edited by Zapix; 06-15-2019 at 06:16 AM.
post #4164 of 5343 Old 06-15-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapix View Post
I was wondering this myself and couldn't find an answer. Installed the update. There's still lag, though it feels like it's been cut in half. My LG TV apps via ARC (Netflix and Vudu) trigger in about 1.5 to 2 seconds now. Down from 3 to 5 with 3.1, though on 1.0c it was instant. Roku Ultra, Netflix and Vudu took about 2 seconds, though previews on Netflix were oddly instant. Nvidia Shield was triggering audio for Netflix previews instantly, but actual playback for Netflix and Vudu was taking as 4 seconds to trigger. 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos disc (13 Hours) on my Panasonic UB820 was taking 2.5 seconds. I had resorted to downgrading to 1.0c after the 5 to 7 second lag in 3.0 and 3.1 that included audio quality issues, but I'll keep 3.2 which is clearly an improvement for the 9.2 system

edit note: corrected Netflix for Roku and Shield. Previews are instant, actual playback isn't
Thanks for the info. I see about a 3 second lag with 3.1 firmware. It’s consistent across HBO Now and Netflix. I’m pretty sure it’s there with Prime and Vudu, too. I get the lag any time video starts or if I pause and restart. This is all DD+ 5.1 content with the Dolby Surround enabled and the EQ mode set to Movie.

I’ll have to check Netflix previews. I don’t think there’s a new signal triggered for those once you’re in the Netflix home screen, so it would make sense that there’s no lag.

It seems a little shorter on YouTube TV, especially if I switch over from Dolby Surround to Native with Clear Voice for LPCM content. I’d leave it on Dolby Surround, but that sounds muffled and distorted for broadcast TV programs.

All this is on Nvidia Shield. I haven’t checked blu-ray disks or old WMC recordings on my HTPC.

I’m staying with 3.1 for now. I don’t want to hear the “washing machine” noise others have reported.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
post #4165 of 5343 Old 06-15-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
That's the one I've been talking to with Nakamichi for a week now - unsuccessfully. They keep asking redundant questions, as though to evade actually responding. I even pointed them to this thread and said, look, there are other people with same issues - no response yet. I am frankly super disappointed with the famous Nakamichi customer support, there seems to be none.
Agreed.... I am going to try and downgrade to the 2.1 version today and see how it sounds compared to the 3.1 because I'm very sick of carrying around the Naka remote and having to toggle pure direct every time I turn the TV on and watch cable..... If there's not a huge sound difference I'm sticking with the older version until this (hopefully) gets sorted out
post #4166 of 5343 Old 06-15-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Agreed.... I am going to try and downgrade to the 2.1 version today and see how it sounds compared to the 3.1 because I'm very sick of carrying around the Naka remote and having to toggle pure direct every time I turn the TV on and watch cable..... If there's not a huge sound difference I'm sticking with the older version until this (hopefully) gets sorted out
Is there a way to get 2.1 firmware file for Elite (7.2) system? I was hoping to ask the customer support, if only they respond.
post #4167 of 5343 Old 06-15-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
quick 7.1 firmware update, not really news but not delayed....yet

"Thanks for reaching out to us. The Atmos firmware for 7.1 DTS:X will be released anytime by the end of the month."
limitz likes this.
post #4168 of 5343 Old 06-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawisTheGameHhH View Post
quick 7.1 firmware update, not really news but not delayed....yet

"Thanks for reaching out to us. The Atmos firmware for 7.1 DTS:X will be released anytime by the end of the month."
Assuming they will "fix" all the issues with the 7.2 and re-release that update as well on the same day... This is what they did with the 9.2 on the release day of the 7.2
In The Bay likes this.
post #4169 of 5343 Old 06-15-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Is there a way to get 2.1 firmware file for Elite (7.2) system? I was hoping to ask the customer support, if only they respond.
Pm me ur email I have it saved
In The Bay likes this.
post #4170 of 5343 Old 06-16-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Pm me ur email I have it saved
Thanks for the firmware!

I played around with 2.1 for a while and decided to go back to 3.2. IMO, Atmos sounded better. Yes, the nasty PCM source issue was not there, but I started seeing issues with HDR - repeated HDCP 2.2 errors on ATV 4K. Every time I ran into it, I had to reboot ATV to resolve it, and it showed up again in a bit.

So, for now, I decided to go back to 3.2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page