Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 140 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1250Likes

post #4171 of 4909 Old 06-16-2019, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
Pm me ur email I have it saved
Thanks for the firmware!

I played around with 2.1 for a while and decided to go back to 3.2. IMO, Atmos sounded better. Yes, the nasty PCM source issue was not there, but I started seeing issues with HDR - repeated HDCP 2.2 errors on ATV 4K. Every time I ran into it, I had to reboot ATV to resolve it, and it showed up again in a bit.

So, for now, I decided to go back to 3.2.
Thanks for the update I'm gonna go ahead and mess around with it tonight and see what happens!

I'd imagine the PCM issue is going to be resolved shortly via another firmware update, so if the sound is that much better with atmos upstate I am willing to deal w the PCM issue for a short while longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4909 Old 06-18-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Opening my home for a test listen.

I have noticed a lot of people have mentioned in their posts "if I only could listen to the 9.2 system to make up my mind", well now's your chance. If anyone on the forum who is considering a purchase of the Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 or would like to compare it to one of Nakamichis other models or competitive brand sound bars and are close to Peoria Illinois, I will open my home for you to listen to my 9.2 system.
Maybe other users could do the same.

PM me if interested.
post #4173 of 4909 Old 06-18-2019, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey everyone just wondering how many 9.2 system owners are having issues with static sound across all inputs/sources? Mine started off last week with a few streaming services i use on my Nvidia Shield but now every single input or source is static. Ive tried getting ahold of support was suppose to have a call back from them and nothing as of today. Hopefully they are working on a fix i hate the sound from my tv speakers alone lol. Ill attach a link to youtube with a video soon. Goodluck everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4174 of 4909 Old 06-18-2019, 03:38 PM

Heres the link to the video of the static show lol.

https://youtu.be/s5oF34I-CiE
post #4175 of 4909 Old 06-18-2019, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrodriguez559 View Post
Hey everyone just wondering how many 9.2 system owners are having issues with static sound across all inputs/sources? Mine started off last week with a few streaming services i use on my Nvidia Shield but now every single input or source is static. Ive tried getting ahold of support was suppose to have a call back from them and nothing as of today. Hopefully they are working on a fix i hate the sound from my tv speakers alone lol. Ill attach a link to youtube with a video soon. Goodluck everyone
Nope. I don’t hear that on mine. I’m on the 3.1 firmware.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
post #4176 of 4909 Old 06-18-2019, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I haven't noticed that on my 9.2. I am on 3.2 firmware.There was a slight bit of static on Amazon Prime Video in dialog once, but pausing and restarting solved it.

What high speed HDMI cables is everyone using? I have an XBOX One X that is having handshake issues with the 9.2. I've tried using the cable that came with the XBOX and the off brand one I had laying around, but no joy.
post #4177 of 4909 Old 06-18-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet763 View Post
I haven't noticed that on my 9.2. I am on 3.2 firmware.There was a slight bit of static on Amazon Prime Video in dialog once, but pausing and restarting solved it.

What high speed HDMI cables is everyone using? I have an XBOX One X that is having handshake issues with the 9.2. I've tried using the cable that came with the XBOX and the off brand one I had laying around, but no joy.
I’ll occasionally get muffled voices if I pause or rewind (dialogue sounds like Charlie Browns teacher) on Netflix or other streaming services. Another pause/restart or rewind/restart remedies it.

I’m using the Monoprice Ultra Slim 18Gbps HDMI cables for all connections. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13586. Available on Amazon too and maybe a lower price depending on how many you buy and shipping and sales tax. Just make sure to get the 18 GBPs version.

post #4178 of 4909 Old 06-19-2019, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

That’s definitely not the washing machine noise others have commented on. Yours sounds more like rainfall. Do I still hear the tv audio in the background? I thought I could hear the tv voices. If so, that’s a totally different problem which I would guess is in the analog audio amplifier output section, downstream from the digital processing. I’ve heard similar with bad ICs Over the years. That could require a warranty repair. That’s one guess, but it could still be the firmware. You could downgrade to a previous version and see if it eliminates the rainfall noise. If it does you can relax some knowing it’s not a hardware problem, and wait for the next FW release.

Last edited by DavAbq; 06-19-2019 at 10:32 PM.
post #4179 of 4909 Old 06-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

I had that happen a few times. I was watching something and the static noise came on. I turned the SB off and on and it went away. I am on FW 3.2 with my 7.2 system.
post #4180 of 4909 Old 06-19-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
That’s definitely not the washing machine noise others have commented on. Yours sounds more like rainfall. Do I still hear the tv audio in the background? I thought I could hear the tv voices. If so, that’s a totally different problem which I would guess is in the analog audio amplifier output section, downstream from the digital processing. I’ve heard similar with bad ICs Over the years. That could require a warranty repair. That’s my guess.
Yup, certainly not the "washing machine" noise as it has now famously come to be known When my washing machine thingie goes on - it is so loud and bad, no actual audio from the TV is audible.
post #4181 of 4909 Old 06-19-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Ive tried getting ahold of support was suppose to have a call back from them and nothing as of today.
I am terribly disappointed with their customer support. I've been working with their customer support guy Alberto for 2-weeks for an issue, and I have barely gotten 3 emails from him - ALL of them asking simple, basic questions that I already answered. I was asked my phone number, after I complained via their Facebook messaging system, and after that - nothing for 4-days now.

I thought Samsung customer support was bad, but this is a whole another level of bad.
post #4182 of 4909 Old 06-19-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update I'm gonna go ahead and mess around with it tonight and see what happens!

I'd imagine the PCM issue is going to be resolved shortly via another firmware update, so if the sound is that much better with atmos upstate I am willing to deal w the PCM issue for a short while longer.
I finally got the below response:

Quote:
We are currently working on a 3.3 firmware for the 7.2 Elite which we are confident will resolve some of these problems people are running in to. Please let me gather some resources and I will get back to you. I appreciate all of your patience and cooperation.
post #4183 of 4909 Old 06-19-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for passing that along. I know it’s frustrating, but there is no comparison to Samsung, one of the worlds largest companies that just doesn’t act like it gives a damn, and a small shop probably getting swamped with customers wanting to discuss their problems. A decision has to be made between working on THE problems or spending what I’m sure could be much more than an 8 hour day just talking about them on the phone. I downgraded to the 2.1 and eliminated my problems. That IS nice. But as I stated at the beginning of this noise problems discussion, I really like the sound of 2.1 and may only test a higher FW version if they don’t copy Apple by order of Dolby licensing and prevent reverting to previous versions. Patience and luck to us!
post #4184 of 4909 Old 06-20-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
A decision has to be made between working on THE problems or spending what I’m sure could be much more than an 8 hour day just talking about them on the phone.
Companies have engineering that works on solutions, and customer support which addresses customer issues. The ones "talking 8-hours on the phone" are not typically the ones "working on solutions". That's simply not how tech companies function.

And, if, as you say, "they are not talking 8 hours" to customers to understand the problem, then what problems are they going to work on fixing? I don't think this is a sound line of argument for a company that sold a product and claims to have a customer support wing.
post #4185 of 4909 Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for passing that along. I know it’s frustrating, but there is no comparison to Samsung, one of the worlds largest companies that just doesn’t act like it gives a damn, and a small shop probably getting swamped with customers wanting to discuss their problems. A decision has to be made between working on THE problems or spending what I’m sure could be much more than an 8 hour day just talking about them on the phone. I downgraded to the 2.1 and eliminated my problems. That IS nice. But as I stated at the beginning of this noise problems discussion, I really like the sound of 2.1 and may only test a higher FW version if they don’t copy Apple by order of Dolby licensing and prevent reverting to previous versions. Patience and luck to us!
I also downgraded to the 2.1 and find similar results to you... The upgrade will be fantastic when they re-release it I have no doubt that they will fix everything (or the majority of them) with that update....

You have to realize there are literally 1000s of combinations that people are using so they need to gather that info first and then rewrite the software to fix issues with every one of those combinations.... I'd imagine not a simple task but they have come through on everything they have stated they would thus far.

The 2.1 actually to me sounds a bit better than the Atmos update... The nueral x seems like the bass is much more "tight and punchy" then on the 3.1...

I recommend anyone having issues to downgrade for now, let Naka figure out what they need to do and then release the next update and go from there. If anyone needs the 2.1 I do have it saved, send me a pm and I'll b happy to forward to you! This is for the 7.2 system.
DavAbq and In The Bay like this.
post #4186 of 4909 Old 06-20-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I also downgraded to the 2.1 and find similar results to you... The upgrade will be fantastic when they re-release it I have no doubt that they will fix everything (or the majority of them) with that update....

You have to realize there are literally 1000s of combinations that people are using so they need to gather that info first and then rewrite the software to fix issues with every one of those combinations.... I'd imagine not a simple task but they have come through on everything they have stated they would thus far.

The 2.1 actually to me sounds a bit better than the Atmos update... The nueral x seems like the bass is much more "tight and punchy" then on the 3.1...

I recommend anyone having issues to downgrade for now, let Naka figure out what they need to do and then release the next update and go from there. If anyone needs the 2.1 I do have it saved, send me a pm and I'll b happy to forward to you! This is for the 7.2 system.
The one issue I constantly ran into, with 2.1 firmware was HDCP 2.2 errors. ATV and Nvidia Shield constantly stopped playing HDR/DV videos. And I had to power cycle them all and the bar repeatedly to get things working. I know its not my HDMI cables because I didn't have issues with my old soundbar or when I run 3.1 firmware. So, I ended up going back to 3.1.

Also, if anyone has "urgent" issues - like the soundbar just totally does not work, etc., and you're simply not able to get support, Facebook messaging is a faster way to escalate things. Once I contacted them on Facebook and explained a total lack of support or even a patient hearing of what my problem was - things moved a tad.
post #4187 of 4909 Old 06-20-2019, 07:07 PM

Update: Got a call from their customer support today who apologized for the delay in responding. They explained that their priority is to get Dolby support out for Pro 7.1 system. Along with, firmware 3.3 is also expected to resolve a majority of issues experienced by 7.2/9.2 systems.

As of now, they are still on track for firmware 3.3 to drop the latest by June-30. Of course, that ultimately depends on how their testing goes...
dfkimbro and DavAbq like this.
post #4188 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 01:44 AM

Thanks for the update with the call you had. Ive had no luck with support but i know there doing what they can to push a FW out as soon as possible. Ill be patient but i do miss my 9.2 system a lot. Lol
post #4189 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 02:26 AM

Quote:
The one issue I constantly ran into, with 2.1 firmware was HDCP 2.2 errors. ATV and Nvidia Shield constantly stopped playing HDR/DV videos. And I had to power cycle them all and the bar repeatedly to get things working. I know its not my HDMI cables because I didn't have issues with my old soundbar or when I run 3.1 firmware. So, I ended up going back to 3.1.

I hate to say it but I had to look up the Nvidia Shield. Somehow it got under my radar, locked into DTV & ATV. Tell me, it looks like the menu system is much nicer than ATV. Is that what you find? Also, have they worked the passwords out better than Apple? I find it stupid and frustrating that my wife and I have to log out of/into ATV account, then the ITunes account then each destination. We should both be able to just leave ourselves logged in. Is the Shield any better in that regard?
post #4190 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I hate to say it but I had to look up the Nvidia Shield. Somehow it got under my radar, locked into DTV & ATV. Tell me, it looks like the menu system is much nicer than ATV. Is that what you find? Also, have they worked the passwords out better than Apple? I find it stupid and frustrating that my wife and I have to log out of/into ATV account, then the ITunes account then each destination. We should both be able to just leave ourselves logged in. Is the Shield any better in that regard?
Not to get too far off topic, but I like the Shield menu a lot better than the ATV gen 3 (haven’t tried the newer versions). It’s very customizable and is based on Android TV Oreo. It isn’t perfect and there’s some room for improvement with the watch next feature and how some apps interact, but it’s pretty good for the most part.

When do you have to log out of the ATV? Never used multiple accounts on it, but on the Shield, we never log out for different user profiles for Netflix or YouTubeTV. You just choose the user profile within the app. I don't know about multiple user accounts for other apps. There’s no native iTunes app for Android TV that I’m aware of. You can link your iTunes account to Movies Anywhere, and then watch the movies you bought on iTunes through that or a VuDu account that’s also LinkedIn to Movies Anywhere, but I think that’s limited to one iTunes account. I don’t believe shared iTunes family accounts work with linking to Movies Anywhere.

Other Shield questions should be posted here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...t-top-box.html or here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...iscussion.html.

Back to your regularly scheduled Nakamichi discussions...
DavAbq likes this.

post #4191 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Update: Got a call from their customer support today who apologized for the delay in responding. They explained that their priority is to get Dolby support out for Pro 7.1 system. Along with, firmware 3.3 is also expected to resolve a majority of issues experienced by 7.2/9.2 systems.

As of now, they are still on track for firmware 3.3 to drop the latest by June-30. Of course, that ultimately depends on how their testing goes...
That reminds me that I need to download a copies of the 3.1 and 3.2 firmware before 3.3 drops for the 9.2 systems.

post #4192 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I’m wondering since the 7.1 update is last in line. Is this good or bad? Are we going to have to go through growing pains as 7.2 and 9.2? Will the bugs be worked out on the first release for 7.1 since the other systems have had time to see what works and what does not?
post #4193 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I hate to say it but I had to look up the Nvidia Shield. Somehow it got under my radar, locked into DTV & ATV. Tell me, it looks like the menu system is much nicer than ATV. Is that what you find? Also, have they worked the passwords out better than Apple? I find it stupid and frustrating that my wife and I have to log out of/into ATV account, then the iTunes account then each destination. We should both be able to just leave ourselves logged in. Is the Shield any better in that regard?
I do prefer ATV for the most part for some reasons.

(a) I do find the whole navigation experience better with ATV. Shield has gotten better with each update, but I find it lacking for my preference.
(b) We use the same iTunes account in my house, so I have not had to log out and log in. My GF and I have different Netflix profiles, and Netflix on ATV does allow me to switch profiles easily, so the quirk seems to be with iTunes as its natively tied to the ATV main login account.

Also, not all movies bought on iTunes movies are on Movies Anywhere; sometimes they are available in a lower quality (no DV/Atmos) when on Movies Anywhere; TV shows from iTunes do not sync via Movies Anywhere. So, there is no perfect solution to watch apple movies/shows on NVidia Shield.

(c) Some apps are horrendously designed on Shield. The one that bothers me the most is Hulu
(d) Netflix does not support Atmos on Shield.
(e) I hate the whole "I upscale everything to 4K" thing about Shield. Overall, the picture, in my subjective opinion, looks washed out when compared to ATV, even when content is in DV/HDR. Someone here suggested using Kodi with Netflix addon, have not tried that yet
(f) Last I heard, Shield does not support Dolby Vision
(g) For playing local media, I find Infuse app on AT4 to be much better than Shield's Plex

I do like Shield in some cases:

(a) Youtube - ATV does only stereo and up to 1080p on ATV
(b) Plex on Shield when I have a local file with Atmos audio. Infuse app on ATV does not pass through audio due to various apple limitations
(c) Again, could be my subjective opinion - while ATV does LPCM Multi 5.1 audio for most cases, Shield does Dolby 5.1 and the latter seems to sound better
DavAbq likes this.

Last edited by In The Bay; 06-21-2019 at 10:08 AM.
post #4194 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
That reminds me that I need to download a copies of the 3.1 and 3.2 firmware before 3.3 drops for the 9.2 systems.
I hope they do allow us to downgrade from 3.3 to earlier versions, once we go to 3.3. As a company/product matures, they typically lock down downgrades and that sure would be a bummer!!
post #4195 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
I’m wondering since the 7.1 update is last in line. Is this good or bad? Are we going to have to go through growing pains as 7.2 and 9.2? Will the bugs be worked out on the first release for 7.1 since the other systems have had time to see what works and what does not?
I think its a good thing. What Alberto told me was that they were applying their learnings from issues seen on 9.2 and 7.2 to the 7.1 upgrade, while also fixing several major issues reported so far. So, while I still anticipate growing pains, it should be much better than the initial 9.2 or 7.2.
john morris likes this.
post #4196 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
I think its a good thing. What Alberto told me was that they were applying their learnings from issues seen on 9.2 and 7.2 to the 7.1 upgrade, while also fixing several major issues reported so far. So, while I still anticipate growing pains, it should be much better than the initial 9.2 or 7.2.
The only thing good about owning a 7.1 system is that you all get to be our beta testers
post #4197 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
check your emails 7.1 users it's out for us now finally updating now.it's fw33 by the way if anyone is wondering.
post #4198 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post
check your emails 7.1 users it's out for us now finally updating now.
beta or public release?
post #4199 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawisTheGameHhH View Post
beta or public release?
Early access
post #4200 of 4909 Old 06-21-2019, 10:33 AM

Hope 3.3 for 7.2/9.2 is available soon too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page