Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1212Likes

post #4501 of 4685 Old 07-10-2019, 11:54 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
You can upmix everything to 7.1 by cycling the pure direct button.
That is great to hear!

Quote:
The tv doesn't have an ARC HDMI correct?
No, it doesn't support ARC. That was another thing that was confusing when I first got it -- the earliest Nakamichi documentation said to use only ARC, then later they updated to say don't use ARC (which is a better approach since I think the audio quality is better outside of ARC).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4685 Old 07-10-2019, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=epicoled;58272794]Apple 4K TV is super picky about cables or it won't work at all. See article from Digital trends. I bought this cable and all issues gone!!!

I read the article(s) but I don't see where they mention a specific HDMI cable.

I currently have tried these, as Apple suggested, but they don't pass Dolby Vision through the Nakamichi 7.1: Belkin Ultra HD High Speed HDMI Cable, Optimal Viewing for Apple TV and Apple TV 4K, 4K/Dolby Vision HDR, 2 m/6.6 ft – Black

Also, I ordered these to do some more testing, but I haven't received them yet: Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI Cable - 6 Feet - Black, [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, Dual Video Stream

I'm also getting an LG 4k player with Dolby Vision to see if that will pass through the Naka. I'll be receiving it sometime next week and will try with the two different cables I have.

I just want to figure out if it's cables, the Nakamichi soundbar or the devices themselves. Frustrating...
post #4503 of 4685 Old 07-10-2019, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Problems with downloading firmware 3.3. So I tried downloading 3.3 for my 9.2 SSE and nothing would happen. I get past the prompt to enter your email and click the download button and nothing would happen other than the download button disappearing after a warning that the form was not secure.

I am using a Mac.

After much experimenting with various browsers I finally found what the issue was. The web guys at Naka are doing all sorts of "bad" things with the download script including (illegally) loading the scripts from a different domain. Needless to say you can't get around that with the highly security conscious Safari browser. However using Chrome when you get to the download page you will see a little red bug in the url bar which if you click you will see the offending message which will the prompt you if you would like to allow the script to run.If you say yes the download will proceed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4504 of 4685 Old 07-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post
Did anyone upgrade to 3.3 for the 9.2.4 and can confirm if the washing machine noise has been resolved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I upgraded to 3.3 on my 9.2.4 a couple of days ago and I haven't had the washing machine noise since the upgrade. I was only getting it when using the Naki with my cable box. Using it with any other device it was okay.

However, yesterday I did have the Naki freeze up once when I changed channels on the cable box. No sound and could not get it to respond to anything from the remote. Finally had to restart the Naki and it was fine the rest of the evening. I'll be curious to see if this is a recurring problem.
cyberized39 and ari821 like this.
post #4505 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Got my hands on one of these babies...

I don't know why this website can't figure out how to upload pictures properly...I upload it in the correct orientation and it flips it 90 degrees. I rotate it 90 degrees and then upload it and it keeps that orientation..if you have a blu ray burner drive this can be downloaded online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_085654.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	627.8 KB
ID:	2589724   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_085709.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2589726  

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #4506 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I don't have the weird PCM issue when going from PCM to dolby or dts, I honestly don't have any issues at all.
What streaming device do you use with PCM content and which app? Maybe that will work for me as well.
post #4507 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post
What streaming device do you use with PCM content and which app? Maybe that will work for me as well.
I have a Sony Android tv. All the streaming apps I use are built in to the TV. Netflix, Vudu, YouTube, etc. No issues. I thought I had some issues with DirecTv but I think it's NBC. When i watch America's Got Talent, the commericals are way louder than the show and the audio doesn't seem "right" on the show. But it's only NBC that has the issue.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #4508 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I have a Sony Android tv. All the streaming apps I use are built in to the TV. Netflix, Vudu, YouTube, etc. No issues. I thought I had some issues with DirecTv but I think it's NBC. When i watch America's Got Talent, the commericals are way louder than the show and the audio doesn't seem "right" on the show. But it's only NBC that has the issue.
Ah ok! I don't use my native Samsung TV apps. I have the PCM issue with Apple TV, Nvidia Shield as well as Roku. The issue is more pronounced with Apple TV as their preferred way is to do Multi-channel PCM and not Dolby. Only Xbox does not have the problem as it upmixes everything to Dolby Atmos.

Hope 3.3 comes out soon as the main content of this firmware version for 9.2/7.2 is the handling of PCM and LPCM, which according to Nakamichi support, they did not handle well so far.
post #4509 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
https://www.rd.com/health/wellness/w...cials-so-loud/
post #4510 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
Yes, every time you turn on the system you have to hit the stereo button and then the pure direct button. He did not give an answer or solve any problem
My understanding is that Stereo mode will take you to Native without the surround channels playing. To get our of stereo, you can press Stereo button again or Pure Direct and the system should save the last settings you are on.
post #4511 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjack View Post
So w/ my 7.1 upgraded to 3.3, I'm getting strange behavior w/ my X1. I've got the X1 running to HDMI3. Everything turns on immediately and then 3-5 seconds later, the soundbar switches back to ARC (first sign is it shifts off of Dolby Atmos to PCM, then shows ARC on the OSD). I can get the picture back but I have to manually hit HDMI3 again.

Any clue?
Most cable boxes are designed to be hooked up to the TV directly or HDMI CEC will go bonkers.
post #4512 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Thanks. I know the Nakamichi can sound better than the Vizio, but right now it doesn't because of lack of true 5.1/7.1. I'm not interested in 4k at all for this room, so that's not a concern for me. The Nak sub is more powerful, but for a bedroom system, the Vizio sub was sufficient.

The thing that caused me to get the Nak (in addition to the great early reviews on AVS) was the fact that it had speakers/tweeters coming out of both sides of the soundbar. The Vizio was weak on imaging in the front and I thought the Nak side speakers were a brilliant idea and would expand the front soundstage a lot. Unfortunately, those side speakers aren't active at all currently because I don't have a true 5.1/7.1 signal while being fed by the Sony optical out.

I think what I will do is add an HDMI switch, with built-in optical out, in front of the Sony HDMI and use it to select HDMI sources while I feed the Nak with optical 5.1 extracted off of HDMI. This won't give me 7.1 (not possible through optical), but it will give me true 5.1 which should be much better than what I have now.

I wonder if those side speakers in the soundbar will be active when I have true 5.1. I think those side speakers are intended to be extension from 5.1 to 7.1, but hoping they will still be used when feeding it 5.1 to get the wider front imaging I was looking for.

This is the HDMI switch with optical out I will be using (I have something similar to this in my basement system and it rocks! (despite the low price)): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7VYVH7GK&psc=1
Wouldn't a $50 streaming device like Roku or Amazon Fire solve your issue?
post #4513 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 01:21 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
Wouldn't a $50 streaming device like Roku or Amazon Fire solve your issue?
Thanks, but unfortunately not -- I will have 4 HDMI devices -- I have cable box, blu-ray, chromecast now, and will be adding a Roku, but that won't replace cable and blu-ray. I think Roku could replace chromecast, but my wife is used to casting, so I probably won't ditch the chromecast.
post #4514 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
That is great to hear!

No, it doesn't support ARC. That was another thing that was confusing when I first got it -- the earliest Nakamichi documentation said to use only ARC, then later they updated to say don't use ARC (which is a better approach since I think the audio quality is better outside of ARC).
I read that too, and I'm still confused, because they then tell still tell you to connect ARC to ARC HDMI.....but they explain that Dolby Atmos requires 18 MBs and HDMI ARC only supplies 1 MBs and they leave one "hanging". IF then you are going in with a feed that only supplies 1 MBs ----what gets the other HDMI Ports to 18 MBs? THAT is da BIG Question?

I have not purchased one yet, am on da bubble, and need to find out answers to ? like this first.

I was figuring going to TV ARC OUT to NAK ARC IN...then #1 HDMI would feed my Nvidia Shield, #2 : My UHD 4 K BluRay, #3 : WiiU

Someone, PLEASE Advise......TKS!
post #4515 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized39 View Post
I read that too, and I'm still confused, because they then tell still tell you to connect ARC to ARC HDMI.....but they explain that Dolby Atmos requires 18 MBs and HDMI ARC only supplies 1 MBs and they leave one "hanging". IF then you are going in with a feed that only supplies 1 MBs ----what gets the other HDMI Ports to 18 MBs? THAT is da BIG Question?

I have not purchased one yet, am on da bubble, and need to find out answers to ? like this first.

I was figuring going to TV ARC OUT to NAK ARC IN...then #1 HDMI would feed my Nvidia Shield, #2 : My UHD 4 K BluRay, #3 : WiiU

This is correct. The issue is if you connect your devices to the TV input and not to the soundbar Even then, you would still get Dolby Atmos, it's just DD+ and not lossless True HD as the "base"...For streaming it probably doens't matter that much. For your 4k blu ray player you will want to connect it to the Naka soundbar and connect the Naka soundbar to the TV ARC.

No reason to be on the fense. This is hands down the best soundbar available and if you are not going to go with a full AVR setup this is what is going to get you the closest.
atfree and cyberized39 like this.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #4516 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized39 View Post

This is a limitation of HDMI ARC, it doesn't pass thru data more than 1Mbps. A direct connection that is not ARC can go up to 18.
post #4517 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
This is correct. The issue is if you connect your devices to the TV input and not to the soundbar Even then, you would still get Dolby Atmos, it's just DD+ and not lossless True HD as the "base"...For streaming it probably doens't matter that much. For your 4k blu ray player you will want to connect it to the Naka soundbar and connect the Naka soundbar to the TV ARC.

No reason to be on the fense. This is hands down the best soundbar available and if you are not going to go with a full AVR setup this is what is going to get you the closest.
Talk about being "on da Fence".....seeking advice concerning "jumping off" and in this NAK 9.2.4......BUT.....can' believe I am here asking but I watched a couple of You Tube Demo Reviews and thought, WOW, I think
this just might BLOW AWAY my present 5.1.2 Setup with the heart being a Denon X3400H 7.2 AVR. So I have been spending time googling etc. to see what all of this equipment might fetch me.....should definitely get me the $1300 but, of course, I'd have to pay for this FIRST and then probably CList everything and pay off my CCard. WHAT do YOU think....is it that good? From these reviews it appears to me right now that it is. Wish it had BlueTooth Speakers though....probably next year's model.
SAD Story....but to hopefully will lose more customers for Samsung, but due to them I am here......My last 3-4 HDTVs were ALL Samsung, my previous one, should have kept, was their last "top of the line" 64" Plasma,
it was compatible with ALL Audio Formats [bitstream] as was my previous Samsung....so when I decided to finally make da leap to 4K Ultra, I research the heck out of their Flagship 2018 QLED Q65FN, BUT I take for granted that it would have FULL Audio Format Support.....I and many others were/have been and still are dumbfounded that this HIGH END 4K HDTV does NOT Support Bitstream DD+ True DD etc......I invested in the Nvidia Shield in order to By PASS the TV for Sound.......so that has in it's own way has led me here...........and hopefully this NAK's Processor et al would put me in BITSTREAM Heaven and Audio BLISS!
WHAT do YOU think I should do? I know one thing, I'll NEVER buy another Samsung TV!

TKS michael
post #4518 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
This is fantastic news, thank you!
3.3 is out for 7.2 systems!

https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...re-upgrade-all
john morris likes this.

Last edited by In The Bay; 07-11-2019 at 08:14 PM.
post #4519 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
AWESOME!!!!! did you update yet??? please tell me it fixes the PCM issue!?!? its too late for me to do tonight, but i will be upgrading tomorrow and hopefully enjoying it the way it was intended!! please post your results when you get your update done!!
post #4520 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
AWESOME!!!!! did you update yet??? please tell me it fixes the PCM issue!?!? its too late for me to do tonight, but i will be upgrading tomorrow and hopefully enjoying it the way it was intended!! please post your results when you get your update done!!
The irony of it all! I am out on the east coast for work and Naka released it today I will get back home only Saturday morning. The release statement says it fixes PCM and LPCM issues, so hopefully, this is it!!
post #4521 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
7.2 update is out? Great. I'm one of the people who prefer the sound of the 2.1 firmware w/ neural x over 3.1. Looking forward to hearing what others think of 3.3. My main issue of 3.1 was the decreased immersive feel compared to 2.1.
DavAbq likes this.
post #4522 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheetahAce View Post
7.2 update is out? Great. I'm one of the people who prefer the sound of the 2.1 firmware w/ neural x over 3.1. Looking forward to hearing what others think of 3.3. My main issue of 3.1 was the decreased immersive feel compared to 2.1.
My 7.2 system came with v3.2 installed. Due to some bugs, I tried 2.1 for a bit, but I preferred Dolby Atmos/DD+ better, so I went back to 3.2.

I will give 3.3 a try as soon as I get home on Saturday!
post #4523 of 4685 Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
My 7.2 system came with v3.2 installed. Due to some bugs, I tried 2.1 for a bit, but I preferred Dolby Atmos/DD+ better, so I went back to 3.2.

I will give 3.3 a try as soon as I get home on Saturday!
Sounds good. pun intended.
I will load up the update tomorrow and post my findings.
In The Bay likes this.
post #4524 of 4685 Old 07-12-2019, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I downloaded firmware 3.3 for my 7.2. Its been working perfectly with my LG C7 and Xbox One X. I went from firmware 2.1 and it's fixed all issues I had with that firmware. The only pain is having to disconnect my wireless headset every time I want to use Atmos as an audio option. Also having to unselect Atmos to listen to non-atmos content is a pain. Only thing I had to adjust was the video settings on my tv for Dolby Vision. I was getting the soap opera effect, but I tuned the settings so everything is working great. The Atmos sounds good in all the demo videos I've watched. The sound is much more full than the 2.1 firmware. Sorry I can't go to in depth. I haven't had any of the flickering issues when switching off of HDR content. The only thing I haven't tested is the audio stopping when pausing a blu ray
In The Bay and cyberized39 like this.
post #4525 of 4685 Old 07-12-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Foster View Post
I downloaded firmware 3.3 for my 7.2. Its been working perfectly with my LG C7 and Xbox One X. I went from firmware 2.1 and it's fixed all issues I had with that firmware. The only pain is having to disconnect my wireless headset every time I want to use Atmos as an audio option. Also having to unselect Atmos to listen to non-atmos content is a pain. Only thing I had to adjust was the video settings on my tv for Dolby Vision. I was getting the soap opera effect, but I tuned the settings so everything is working great. The Atmos sounds good in all the demo videos I've watched. The sound is much more full than the 2.1 firmware. Sorry I can't go to in depth. I haven't had any of the flickering issues when switching off of HDR content. The only thing I haven't tested is the audio stopping when pausing a blu ray

Thanks! That is fantastic to know!!
post #4526 of 4685 Old 07-12-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'm a bit confused on the speaker setup for the 9.2. Is the soundbar itself center, left, right, surround left, surround right (ie: 5.0), or 3.0.2 (center, left, right, height left and height right)?
post #4527 of 4685 Old 07-12-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Manderin View Post
I'm a bit confused on the speaker setup for the 9.2. Is the soundbar itself center, left, right, surround left, surround right (ie: 5.0), or 3.0.2 (center, left, right, height left and height right)?
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=2500w

https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/soundbar-channels
post #4528 of 4685 Old 07-12-2019, 11:34 AM

So, I got my GF to upgrade my Nakamichi 7.2 to firmware v3.3, which she reluctantly did. And below are her observations. She said, the upgrade went smoothly and was very fast.

(a) She thinks the PCM <-> non-PCM issue is partially resolved and not fully resolved. Here is what she tried on Apple TV:
Step 1: Play Jimmy Kimmel on Hulu (PCM) with Pure Direct = Dolby Surround
Step 2: Play Stranger Things S03E01 on Netflix (PCM MC 5.1)
Here, she said it sounded better and less distorted than v3.2, but the full "Dolby Surround" effect did not kick in. Once she cycled through the Pure Direct button, the side speakers came on and the surround effect came back.

This is quite disappointing to me.

(b) When she powered down the sound bar and powered it on, it seems the soundbar is more or less in stereo mode and not in full "Dolby Surround" effects mode. She said she had to cycle through Pure Direct at least once after every time the soundbar was powered on

(c) Lastly, she felt the side/back speakers were much louder now on v3.3 when compared with v3.2. She felt it did not necessarily sound bad, but the difference was noticeable. I don't know if Naka changed something here, or perhaps changed the default settings for side/back speakers

Overall, the update seems good, assuming the PCM switching issue is at least partially resolved. I will do further testing once I return home tomorrow.

Anyone else tried 3.3 on their 9.2/7.2 systems?
post #4529 of 4685 Old 07-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
So, I got my GF to upgrade my Nakamichi 7.2 to firmware v3.3, which she reluctantly did. And below are her observations. She said, the upgrade went smoothly and was very fast.

(a) She thinks the PCM <-> non-PCM issue is partially resolved and not fully resolved. Here is what she tried on Apple TV:
Step 1: Play Jimmy Kimmel on Hulu (PCM) with Pure Direct = Dolby Surround
Step 2: Play Stranger Things S03E01 on Netflix (PCM MC 5.1)
Here, she said it sounded better and less distorted than v3.2, but the full "Dolby Surround" effect did not kick in. Once she cycled through the Pure Direct button, the side speakers came on and the surround effect came back.

This is quite disappointing to me.

(b) When she powered down the sound bar and powered it on, it seems the soundbar is more or less in stereo mode and not in full "Dolby Surround" effects mode. She said she had to cycle through Pure Direct at least once after every time the soundbar was powered on

(c) Lastly, she felt the side/back speakers were much louder now on v3.3 when compared with v3.2. She felt it did not necessarily sound bad, but the difference was noticeable. I don't know if Naka changed something here, or perhaps changed the default settings for side/back speakers

Overall, the update seems good, assuming the PCM switching issue is at least partially resolved. I will do further testing once I return home tomorrow.

Anyone else tried 3.3 on their 9.2/7.2 systems?
Well this is no good if the PCM issue is still there.... I don't want to have to toggle pure direct everytime I turn on a PCM source that defeats the purpose of having just 1 remote which is a massive pain to have the Naka remote sitting there constantly... And it Def sounds like its still there if the rear speakers are playing no sound until you toggle the pure direct....

I am going to try later this afternoon, will report back but I am currently using the 2.1 firmware with very little issue and will Def save a copy of that just in case this new one is still not doing what it's supposed to
In The Bay likes this.
post #4530 of 4685 Old 07-12-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Well this is no good if the PCM issue is still there.... I don't want to have to toggle pure direct everytime I turn on a PCM source that defeats the purpose of having just 1 remote which is a massive pain to have the Naka remote sitting there constantly... And it Def sounds like its still there if the rear speakers are playing no sound until you toggle the pure direct....

I am going to try later this afternoon, will report back but I am currently using the 2.1 firmware with very little issue and will Def save a copy of that just in case this new one is still not doing what it's supposed to
sooooo.... IT WORKS!!!! originally it was the exact same issue after updating and then resetting the soundbar. but then i decided to unplug everything and do a hard reset... and after plugging back in and powering everything back up the PCM issue is solved! i tried going to/from pcm and dolby and i even shut off the tv and then turned it back on and the dolby surround was working fine both times without having to toggle!

if you ask your gf to do the following i bet you will have similar results!!! let me know if this solves the PCM issue for you as well!!

Re-establish HDMI connection with TV

1. Disconnect all HDMI cables connected to TV and soundbar

2. Power OFF the TV, soundbar and other devices

3. Unplug the power cord of TV, soundbar and other devices from power outlets

4. Wait for 10 minutes to clear the internal memory

5. Plug the power cord of TV and soundbar back to power outlet

6. Power ON the soundbar and TV

7. Connect a HDMI cable to soundbar HDMI 1 ARC and TV HDMI ARC

8. Ensure the soundbar is switched to ARC mode

9. Verify the TV audio is playing on the soundbar
10. Configure the TV audio settings HERE

11. Press INFO button on your soundbar remote to verify audio format received on your soundbar

12. Proceed to connect content devices one by one

Last edited by Robertczek; 07-12-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page