Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1255Likes

post #4861 of 4931 Old 08-11-2019, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
i cant do dolby surround and stereo off.... it will stay at that setting for until i switch inputs and then it resorts back to dolby surround but stereo now says "stereo" instead of "off stereo". anyone having this issue or know what to do to solve?
In dolby surround, if you press stereo off, it will change to Native.
In Native, if you press stereo on, it will change to Dolby Upmix. You cannot go from Native to Dolby Surround by pressing the stereo on off button.
OK so if I'm reading this correctly it is not possible to have Dolby surround with stereo off? Or did I not understand you correctly? If everyone is saying to have Dolby surround on with stereo off, how does one go about getting this AND keeping the setting because I can get my soundbar to do this but once shutting off/changing inputs it goes back to stereo on.

So is it better to have Dolby surround, stereo on
Or
Dolby upmix and stereo off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 4931 Old 08-11-2019, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
OK so if I'm reading this correctly it is not possible to have Dolby surround with stereo off? Or did I not understand you correctly? If everyone is saying to have Dolby surround on with stereo off, how does one go about getting this AND keeping the setting because I can get my soundbar to do this but once shutting off/changing inputs it goes back to stereo on.

Or
You would want Dolby Surround and Stereo Off for ATMOS and Neural-X and Stereo Off for DTS-X.

Stereo Off doesn't always 'stick' for either especially when switching Inputs/Sources from the Soundbar and sometimes when powering it on/off. It's a weird anomaly.

I attached a page from the User Manual that describes what does what.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2.png
Views:	33
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	2601962  
post #4863 of 4931 Old 08-11-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Has anyone had this issue before?

Sometimes when I watch an older blu ray movie I have no sound. I have to change the audio tracks on the blu ray itself for audio to come back.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4864 of 4931 Old 08-11-2019, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Has anyone had this issue before?

Sometimes when I watch an older blu ray movie I have no sound. I have to change the audio tracks on the blu ray itself for audio to come back.
It happened once on my Plex library. On NVidia shield, the movie had two tracks: Dolby TrueHD and DTS something. TrueHD got me no sound, until I selected Dolby, played a few seconds and switched back to TrueHD.
post #4865 of 4931 Old 08-11-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok. Both movies I had the issue with had both Dolby and DTS tracks too. Maybe it just gets confused when there is both...

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #4866 of 4931 Old 08-11-2019, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzotic54 View Post
I will email them sometime this weekend.

I agree The whole thing is very confusing. In my case I only updated the software 1 time which was for the 3.3. Bc Prior to that the bar came with the up to date software so if atmos was working when we 1st installed the 3.3 update and there was no other updates up to this point then how could atmos just stop working when no changes were done to the bar at all?!

In addition to that in my situation I’ve never been able to get Dolby digital plus to work on my q8fn at all for any apps! So I don’t know if that problem is related to this or separate!

I will definitely keep you updated if I find anything out. Please do the same for me

Thanks,
Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In order for Samsung to output DD+
You must always play a video with 5.1 surround audio first, e.g Stranger Things, Our Planet (content) on Netflix before audio set up. Otherwise there will be no audio selection available.
While the DD+ content is playing: go to Settings-Sound-Expert Settings-Digital Output Audio Format-select Dolby Digital +
post #4867 of 4931 Old 08-11-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Or
When you finish using the soundbar for the day, you will power off. When you power up the next day, pressing info will show stereo. The changes to stereo on the LED display does not affect any audio performance for any dolby or dts surround codes when playing any content in hdmi or other inputs, except bluetooth. I know it is kinda confusing.
post #4868 of 4931 Old 08-12-2019, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Or
I have a similar question. I saw where they recommended turning off Pure Direct in the Quickstart documentation. The options are Dolby Surround, Upmix, and Native. I assumed Native would be equivalent to off. The manual recommends Dolby Surround be on though? Which is the correct setting for best sound quality.

Edit:Looking above it looks like Dolby surround or Neural X should be on, so Pure Direct isn't turned off after all?

Last edited by silverbullet763; 08-12-2019 at 07:08 AM.
post #4869 of 4931 Old 08-12-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet763 View Post
I have a similar question. I saw where they recommended turning off Pure Direct in the Quickstart documentation. The options are Dolby Surround, Upmix, and Native. I assumed Native would be equivalent to off. The manual recommends Dolby Surround be on though? Which is the correct setting for best sound quality.

Edit:Looking above it looks like Dolby surround or Neural X should be on, so Pure Direct isn't turned off after all?
My settings
Dolby Surround all the time with Dolby material
DTS Neural X or DTSX with DTS material, automatic
Native for bluetooth music (no surround)
silverbullet763 likes this.
post #4870 of 4931 Old 08-12-2019, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimaster5577 View Post
This is strange since the NU8000 doesn't currently support eARC. What cables are you using btw? I do have monopriced cables for both my XB1X and Naka, but wondering if you have some higher bandwidth cables -- or FW3.2. Technically it should pass through DD+, but not seeing it with the XB1X.
Sorry that it took so long to respond. I haven't been on here that much lately. To answer your question about the type of HDMI cables that I'm using. I bought some random 2.0 cables off of ebay from a seller name yellowprice-hellhawk and the name of the cables are called Yellow-Price Cables. There are other sellers on there that sell the same exact HDMI cables. I got (2) 10 foot cables at $22.71 and (2) 3 foot cables at $14.85. I later ordered (2) extra 10 foot cables just to have around and I plan on ordering (2) 6 foot cables as well. I don't have a Xbox. I have a PS4 and I'm using one of the 3 foot cables running it directly into the Naka. I posted a video on Youtube last week showing my set-up. It's under the name incrediblehawk. Check it out.

Here are the specs listed on the sellers ebay page

*Supports HDMI 2.0 Ports (4K @ 60Hz, 18 Gbps, 28 AWG) - Connect 4K/HD TV to Blu-Ray/DVD Player, Xbox, Play Station, PC, and other HDMI
devices
*Supports: 3D | HD 2K @ 1080p | QHD @ 1440p | UHD 4k @ 2160p (up to 60 Hz over HDMI2.0 - HDMI 2.0)
*Ethernet & Audio Return Channel - Eliminate all network & audio cables between devices
*Braided Cord - 100% Pure Copper Wiring - Backwards compatible with HDMI v2.0, v1.4 & v1.3
*Built-in Two Ferrite Cores - We have 25ft / 30ft / 50ft Length cables built-in ferrite cores to advoid the external magnetic field.
*Multi-functional support - supports Ethernet, 3D, 4K video and Audio Return Channel (ARC) and hot plugging.
*High Speed & Transmission stability - Category 2 Certified,18 Gbps / 4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 1080p, 48 Bit Deep Color.
*High quality materials and Ultra Durability- Heavy duty gold plated connectors (3mic on the copper shell and 15mic on the pins), Chrome plated *Zinc house, 28AWG high purity copper conductor, triple shielding layer shielded, CL3 rated jacket, and covered with cotton yarn sleeve Braided, it
makes the cable can transfer the signals in high speed and low loss, as well as with a durable quality.
*Stronger than other HDMI cables - Designed and built with only premium materials which means it can withstand at least 3,000 cycles of 90
degrees bend tests and hold up to 5kg.
*Universal Compatibility – Syncwire HDMI Cable allows you to share an Internet connection among multiple devices without the need for a
separate Ethernet cable. Easily connects your TV to your Blu-ray players, Fire TV, Apple TV, PS4, PS3, Xbox one, Xbox 360, computers and other *HDMI-enabled devices to TVs, displays, A/V receivers and many more.
*Lifetime Warranty, 100% Free Replacement on your investment for any quality issue, 24 hours response for any questions by mail.
post #4871 of 4931 Old 08-12-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes that is exactly how I try to enable it. When ever 5.1 content is playing I go to enable dd+ Under sound settings but once I choose it I loose all sound & the message pops up “dd+ is only available via arc for external devices that support the format”

Quote:
In order for Samsung to output DD+

You must always play a video with 5.1 surround audio first, e.g Stranger Things, Our Planet (content) on Netflix before audio set up. Otherwise there will be no audio selection available.

While the DD+ content is playing: go to Settings-Sound-Expert Settings-Digital Output Audio Format-select Dolby Digital +

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4872 of 4931 Old 08-12-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For the soundbar? I don't have different settings for day and night.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #4873 of 4931 Old 08-12-2019, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post
Whoa! So, Alberto personally came to my place today and swapped the soundbar. Lucky me, their office is a few miles away from my place. The new soundbar has 3.3 already installed, and everything is looking good!

I asked him about when 9.2.4 bars will be back in stock? He mentioned that the stock has to go through customs clearance, so they are looking at 1-1.5 weeks before the soundbars will show up on Amazon/Walmart.
So Alberto called me back a few minutes ago. I assume this was because of me constantly calling, emailing, and Facebook messaging . I explained my issues to him, how I would get total audio dropouts 5-10 minutes into listening to any content on any input, how "DEMO" would produce no sounds from the soundbar and distortion from the surrounds and subwoofer, and how I've troubleshooted the thing to death. He feels it is a hardware problem with the system. He told me to initiate a return through eBay, then when I request a replacement, he personally will test the unit out, on firmware 3.3, to ensure there are no hardware issues, before shipping it to me. He seems like a genuinely good dude; we spoke about your case specifically and he immediately recalled going to your house to swap the bar out. He told me from here out he would be personally handling my case and he left me his cell number to text him and company email in case there were any issues going forward. Here's hoping I get things resolved like you did! Any issues since Alberto replaced your soundbar?
In The Bay and Ofchristopher like this.
post #4874 of 4931 Old 08-13-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Or

Nueral x was the setting on the frevious firmware. Dolby surround is on the newest firmware.. If you have nueral x you want it "off", if you have the updated version you want to use Dolby surround. Hope that makes sense
post #4875 of 4931 Old 08-13-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Or
When you finish using the soundbar for the day, you will power off. When you power up the next day, pressing info will show stereo. The changes to stereo on the LED display does not affect any audio performance for any dolby or dts surround codes when playing any content in hdmi or other inputs, except bluetooth. I know it is kinda confusing.
Thank you this was a perfect response!!
post #4876 of 4931 Old 08-13-2019, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rigali View Post
So Alberto called me back a few minutes ago. I assume this was because of me constantly calling, emailing, and Facebook messaging . I explained my issues to him, how I would get total audio dropouts 5-10 minutes into listening to any content on any input, how "DEMO" would produce no sounds from the soundbar and distortion from the surrounds and subwoofer, and how I've troubleshooted the thing to death. He feels it is a hardware problem with the system. He told me to initiate a return through eBay, then when I request a replacement, he personally will test the unit out, on firmware 3.3, to ensure there are no hardware issues, before shipping it to me. He seems like a genuinely good dude; we spoke about your case specifically and he immediately recalled going to your house to swap the bar out. He told me from here out he would be personally handling my case and he left me his cell number to text him and company email in case there were any issues going forward. Here's hoping I get things resolved like you did! Any issues since Alberto replaced your soundbar?
If this turns out to be another hardware issue, I think they need to work on their QC.
post #4877 of 4931 Old 08-13-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rigali View Post
Yup! Alberto's the man! I don't wanna jinx it, but since I got the new soundbar, I have zero issues. Alberto personally tested my new soundbar before bringing it to me -and that certainly helped!

Call me superstitious, but I was wondering whether upgrading, downgrading between various firmware versions somehow "broke" my earlier soundbar? You never know if they handle upgrades and downgrades in a "clean" way internally? The new one came installed with 3.3 - and so far, no issues!
post #4878 of 4931 Old 08-13-2019, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Nueral x was the setting on the frevious firmware. Dolby surround is on the newest firmware.. If you have nueral x you want it "off", if you have the updated version you want to use Dolby surround. Hope that makes sense
Isn't Neural X still the choice for DTS content?
post #4879 of 4931 Old 08-13-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
In firmware 2.1, Nakamichi did not handle Dolby formats - so the only options were Native or Neural-X.

Now, for Dolby/PCM content: Native, Dolby Upmix, Dolby Surround
For DTS: Native, Neural X
post #4880 of 4931 Old 08-13-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, mine switches to neural x as soon as I play DTS content.
post #4881 of 4931 Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 24
There was few post saying neural x was better sounding. So if you like the way it sounds, you might think twice about upgrading the firmware.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #4882 of 4931 Old 08-14-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have 2 things to figure out.

Setup: 7.2 Nakamichi (2019), Firmware FW32, Apple TV 4k main source of content.

one, my soundbar is switching back to 5.1 on Atmos content on Netflix. I saw the Atmos logo next to the show before but now I see 5.1. I don't know what I made which switched back to 5.1

two, I have some video content on an external drive. If I connect to my TV USB I am not able to watch it since the main channel is from the soundbar. I dont know if I can use the soundbar USB to view content. Apple tv also doesnt have USB.

Please help.
post #4883 of 4931 Old 08-14-2019, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is anyone using a pair of speaker stands, with each stand holding the Surround and Rear speakers in dipole configuration. In other words, 4 speakers on 2 stands.
post #4884 of 4931 Old 08-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by limitz View Post
Stereo Off doesn't always 'stick' for either especially when switching Inputs/Sources from the Soundbar and sometimes when powering it on/off. It's a weird anomaly.
I saw something odd like this just recently. I noticed my rears weren't playing in surround content. Info button said Stereo was Off. Tested a bunch of things, did the power off reset routine... still no rears. On a whim, switched to Stereo On and then back to Stereo Off and then the rears were back! Weird.

I love the sound from the new model bars but they are a lot touchier than my old pre-DTS:X one was.
post #4885 of 4931 Old 08-14-2019, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
For sale! Naka 2018 9.2.4
post #4886 of 4931 Old 08-14-2019, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop2020 View Post
Why are you selling it, if you don't mind me asking?

75X900F / SHOCKWAFE 9.2 / Apple TV 4K / One X / PS4 Pro
post #4887 of 4931 Old 08-14-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarques View Post
Quote:
It doesn’t work with Xbox One X or Apple TV 4K
post #4888 of 4931 Old 08-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No video! Sorry, but it is a piece of poo with my LG OLED 4K. No video!
post #4889 of 4931 Old 08-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Ah so it doesn’t work with your TV? That sucks.
I was surprised with your first reply as I use my Naka successfully with these 2 devices but my TV is a Sony.

75X900F / SHOCKWAFE 9.2 / Apple TV 4K / One X / PS4 Pro
post #4890 of 4931 Old 08-14-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Works fine with lg oled.... U either have it set up wrong or there is a defect with the hardware. List you you have things connected and I can try to help as I have an oled and it's working flawlessly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page