Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 168 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1306Likes

post #5011 of 5201 Old 09-02-2019, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I for one would love to turn off hdmi cec on the bar to stop it from switching inouts at at startup, but when i do this bar does not turn on with roku/tv. it will turn off though with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5012 of 5201 Old 09-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post
Now that my central soundbar has been replaced, all my issues are gone! It seems to me, most of my issues were probably due to the earlier faulty hardware!

Glad to hear!! My main issue, the sound not resuming when resuming video from being paused and the volume not working with TV remote, doesn't happen when I stream from my Sony UBP-X700 4k player. The volume working fine, the pause/resume are fine. When I switch back to the TV, either live TV or one of the apps, those issues come back. TV is a Samsung 65" MU7000.

My problem is a lot easier to deal with now.
In The Bay likes this.
post #5013 of 5201 Old 09-02-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqzitara View Post
Anyone with a 9.2 SSE or 7.2 SSE want to chip in there opinion?

The manual shows two different room designs - SSE[small/mid/large] room sizes and normal [small/mid/large] room sizes.

Do you prefer SSE on/off and did you use that design or regular? I assume SSE doesn't work unless its atmos or dts-x.

I was messing around with mine last night and I liked the SSE 1 setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5014 of 5201 Old 09-02-2019, 11:52 AM

Has anybody tried the Dipole setup? Any difference in sound or anything? I don't really have any room behind couch for back speakers, right now they sit on the subwoofers about even with the back wall. My side speakers are on stands to the left and right.
post #5015 of 5201 Old 09-02-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Watched the new 4k disc of Apocalypse Now today.....sound worked flawlessly, Dolby Atmos was spectacular.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #5016 of 5201 Old 09-03-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Compared to legit atmos system this weekend

So I went over to a buddy's house this weekend and he has a full on Atmos system in his living room. Receiver, 2 subs, center, front left and right channels, and 6 in ceiling speakers - rears, rear height, left right height...

Obviously his setup sounded better than my 7.1 Naka system, but it wasn't like we were playing 2 different sports...The Nakamichi 7.1 sounds very, very good in my opinion. I had never heard a full Atmos setup before so I had nothing to compare it to. Worth noting, my friend has been doing audio/video setup for 10 years so his install was good, measured the distances from where he would be sitting when he placed the speakers and all that jazz...

Again, his system obviously sounded better, but I was surprised at how amazing the Nakamichi system sounds in comparison.
RickD_99, atfree, dfkimbro and 5 others like this.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #5017 of 5201 Old 09-03-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
So I went over to a buddy's house this weekend and he has a full on Atmos system in his living room. Receiver, 2 subs, center, front left and right channels, and 6 in ceiling speakers - rears, rear height, left right height...

Obviously his setup sounded better than my 7.1 Naka system, but it wasn't like we were playing 2 different sports...The Nakamichi 7.1 sounds very, very good in my opinion. I had never heard a full Atmos setup before so I had nothing to compare it to. Worth noting, my friend has been doing audio/video setup for 10 years so his install was good, measured the distances from where he would be sitting when he placed the speakers and all that jazz...

Again, his system obviously sounded better, but I was surprised at how amazing the Nakamichi system sounds in comparison.

If I had the room to do that kind of setup, then I would too. But with the limited space that I have, the Nakamichi is the next best thing.
post #5018 of 5201 Old 09-03-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadroDoofus View Post
If I had the room to do that kind of setup, then I would too. But with the limited space that I have, the Nakamichi is the next best thing.
Right, I have small children and that is the limiting factor for me. Would hate to put 2-3k into speakers and what not and have a kid destroy it...

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5019 of 5201 Old 09-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Right, I have small children and that is the limiting factor for me. Would hate to put 2-3k into speakers and what not and have a kid destroy it...

I'm considering doing a major 5.1.4 upgrade but I also have a 3-year old and I have the same concerns. I keep having issues with my HT-ST5000 so I'm thinking about trying out the Shockwafe as an alternative.
post #5020 of 5201 Old 09-03-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotesBreakfast View Post
I'm considering doing a major 5.1.4 upgrade but I also have a 3-year old and I have the same concerns. I keep having issues with my HT-ST5000 so I'm thinking about trying out the Shockwafe as an alternative.
I can say this. If you go with the Nakamichi, the setup process can be a bit more "involved" than other soundbars. I've never had to reset HDMI connections before and it took me a couple tries to get it right, and I have had some other intermitent issues but most of them could be chalked up to "user" error. I am pretty tech saavy so I don't usually have problems with electronics, but it took me a bit to get things figured out with this sound bar.

That all being said, I am more than happy with the performance. The sub absolutely hammers (in a good way) and the drivers in the sound bar sound great. The surround sound speakers also sound very good and the software processing for Atmos is incredible.
atfree likes this.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5021 of 5201 Old 09-04-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Just one last shout out to Alberto from Nakamichi. He personally tested my replacement for my ebay Refurbished 7.1 Pro DTS:X, upgraded to FW 3.3, and confirmed it was working before shipping it out to me. I received it a few days ago and so far, no issues. This took a few weeks to resolve, but I couldn't be happier with the results. Again, if you are having issues, talk to Alberto, he will take care of you.
epicoled and In The Bay like this.
post #5022 of 5201 Old 09-04-2019, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

I would agree with your assessment. I have a "real" 7.1.2 setup in my basement mancave with downfiring ceiling speakers. There is a difference, but the Nakamichi holds its own in comparison.
epicoled likes this.
post #5023 of 5201 Old 09-05-2019, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG tv’s have a hidden setting. I just got a Nakamichi soundbar and my HDR stopped working on my Xbox when it worked before. Go to all settings then general. Scroll all the way down to HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color and click on it. Make sure HDMI2 is on. That will fix everything. You should have HDR and Atmos after that. Spread the word for LG users.
post #5024 of 5201 Old 09-05-2019, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just to provide a bit of contrast. I spoke to Alberto. He referred me to the troubleshooting links that are publicly available on their website. They didn't help (I had been through all that already).

My response was to say that I love their product, but it just wasn't working out for me and I'd like to initiate a return. Their response? Nothing. I called again. Their recommendation? Send another email. Their response? Nothing. I'm starting to get a little concerned that I'm stuck with this thing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vizio P75-F1 | Denon AVR-S740H | Chane A1.5/A2.4 L/C/R | Boston VRS Micro Surrounds | Dayton Sub-1200 | HTPC (Win10, Red Dragon RX 5700 XT, Kodi, MPC-HC/MadVR) | PS4 | XBone
post #5025 of 5201 Old 09-05-2019, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_smoker View Post
Just to provide a bit of contrast. I spoke to Alberto. He referred me to the troubleshooting links that are publicly available on their website. They didn't help (I had been through all that already).

My response was to say that I love their product, but it just wasn't working out for me and I'd like to initiate a return. Their response? Nothing. I called again. Their recommendation? Send another email. Their response? Nothing. I'm starting to get a little concerned that I'm stuck with this thing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
What issues are you having?
post #5026 of 5201 Old 09-05-2019, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.2 in the last few days has been starting up on Mute for some reason. Not sure why all of a sudden it's doing that. Maybe it's time for a reset. It also has randomly shut off at times and it wasn't because it was sitting idle for too long. The Nakamichi support center is non-existent. I've written a few times with only one response with some links in it and that was it.
post #5027 of 5201 Old 09-05-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadroDoofus View Post
Glad to hear!! My main issue, the sound not resuming when resuming video from being paused and the volume not working with TV remote, doesn't happen when I stream from my Sony UBP-X700 4k player. The volume working fine, the pause/resume are fine. When I switch back to the TV, either live TV or one of the apps, those issues come back. TV is a Samsung 65" MU7000.

My problem is a lot easier to deal with now.
The sound not resuming after pause/rewind is my only complaint with this sound bar but it is a big problem, at least for me. Its gotten worse after the last firmware update and now sometimes it doesnt resume at all and i need to switch inputs for it to recognize the sound which really is a pain.

I wish there was a fix for this. i replaced an LG SJ9 for this bar and im starting to regret it.
post #5028 of 5201 Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAgave View Post
The sound not resuming after pause/rewind is my only complaint with this sound bar but it is a big problem, at least for me. Its gotten worse after the last firmware update and now sometimes it doesnt resume at all and i need to switch inputs for it to recognize the sound which really is a pain.

I wish there was a fix for this. i replaced an LG SJ9 for this bar and im starting to regret it.

I was starting to get those same regrets too. Does sound thing happen with all devices? Mine only happens, so far, when I'm streaming Netflix from the TV.
post #5029 of 5201 Old 09-05-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAgave View Post

I had issues with the Sony x700 player, 2 of them in fact. Replaced it with a Panasonic UB820 4k player and haven't had any issues. I had random sound drop outs on the Sony x700. I didn't really pause, or ff or rew often so I am not sure of any issues like that. But the panny has been pretty bulletproof...just no Vudu app...but the tv has that. However, Netflix does stream in Atmos on the Panny blu ray player, i don't think Netflix did on the Sony x700.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5030 of 5201 Old 09-05-2019, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Guy View Post
What issues are you having?
Where to begin? The main issue is that it just doesn't seem to work well with an HTPC. At first I was able to passthrough video, but it was VERY finicky. Any steps I tried to take to fix it only seemed to make things worse to the point that I was no longer able to get video to passthrough at all. I resigned myself to just using optical, and that worked for a while (though it defeats the purpose of the bar for me), but eventually it would just lock up and be totally unresponsive when optical was selected as the source.

Vizio P75-F1 | Denon AVR-S740H | Chane A1.5/A2.4 L/C/R | Boston VRS Micro Surrounds | Dayton Sub-1200 | HTPC (Win10, Red Dragon RX 5700 XT, Kodi, MPC-HC/MadVR) | PS4 | XBone
post #5031 of 5201 Old 09-05-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_smoker View Post
Where to begin? The main issue is that it just doesn't seem to work well with an HTPC. At first I was able to passthrough video, but it was VERY finicky. Any steps I tried to take to fix it only seemed to make things worse to the point that I was no longer able to get video to passthrough at all. I resigned myself to just using optical, and that worked for a while (though it defeats the purpose of the bar for me), but eventually it would just lock up and be totally unresponsive when optical was selected as the source.
I'd say you have a defective sound bar...My first one was defective, the ARC port on the sound bar didn't work at all. Had to send a few emails back and forth but after about a day of back and forth Alberto sent a new one out and a return label for the defective one.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5032 of 5201 Old 09-06-2019, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When did Nakamichi change the way they recommend you connect the Shield TV to the TV/soundbar? I swear when I first got my Nakamich Soundwafe Pro 7.1 DTS:X they said to connect the Shield to the soundbar via HDMI port and the TV to the soundbar via HDMI ARC. Now I'm seeing this:

https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.com/audio-settings

When did this change and can other's confirm this is how they have their devices connected?
DavAbq likes this.
post #5033 of 5201 Old 09-06-2019, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffinmylye View Post
When did Nakamichi change the way they recommend you connect the Shield TV to the TV/soundbar? I swear when I first got my Nakamich Soundwafe Pro 7.1 DTS:X they said to connect the Shield to the soundbar via HDMI port and the TV to the soundbar via HDMI ARC. Now I'm seeing this:

https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.com/audio-settings

When did this change and can other's confirm this is how they have their devices connected?
They seem to have now updated the same for Apple TV as well. Weird! Almost every other soundbar out there suggests user connect the streaming device directly to the soundbar, and not the TV.

I have all my streaming devices - Xbox, Apple TV, Shield - connected directly to the soundbar and seems to work ok. Alberto from Nakamichi support also recommended this to me a few months ago, and not connecting these devices to the TV.

Edit: I checked the user guide to double confirm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aa.png
Views:	34
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	2611906  
DavAbq likes this.

Last edited by In The Bay; 09-06-2019 at 11:56 AM.
post #5034 of 5201 Old 09-06-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
They seem to have now updated the same for Apple TV as well. Weird! Almost every other soundbar out there suggests user connect the streaming device directly to the soundbar, and not the TV.

I have all my streaming devices - Xbox, Apple TV, Shield - connected directly to the soundbar and seems to work ok. Alberto from Nakamichi support also recommended this to me a few months ago, and not connecting these devices to the TV.

Edit: I checked the user guide to double confirm.
Yup, same. And now I see some of the models say to go into the soundbar and some say to go into the TV depending on which one you choose from the drop down menu. I'm so confused.
DavAbq likes this.
post #5035 of 5201 Old 09-06-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 218
You should go to tv when using optical. Using hdmi only device you should go directly to sound bar.
post #5036 of 5201 Old 09-06-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
You should go to tv when using optical. Using hdmi only device you should go directly to sound bar.
Except if it is a TV cable box. For some reason, Nakamichi support recommends a direct connection to TV in this case. I went cord-cutting and got rid of Xfinity for YTV - so not really sure of the pros and cons.
post #5037 of 5201 Old 09-06-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Except if it is a TV cable box. For some reason, Nakamichi support recommends a direct connection to TV in this case. I went cord-cutting and got rid of Xfinity for YTV - so not really sure of the pros and cons.

True.
What has changed with the 3.3 is connecting everything that can show Dolby Atmos/Vision to the sound bar. While cable/sat boxes connect to the tv.
post #5038 of 5201 Old 09-06-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
That's what I thought and what I've been using, just that Nakamichi's own website is saying otherwise now.

Also, ever since upgrading my soundbar to the new 3.3 FW I'm not getting really bad audio stuttering and just garbage when half the time I go from a PCM output (nvidia shield menu) to a surround sound output (any app such as Plex, Netflix, Youtube, etc.). It's a real problem. I have to keep going out and back into apps until that garbage output disappears. The wife can't stand it and I'm not too fond of it myself. I was hoping maybe switching the connections around the way Nakamichi is showing now on their site would solve this but it appears that's not the recommended way by everyone.
post #5039 of 5201 Old 09-06-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffinmylye View Post
That's what I thought and what I've been using, just that Nakamichi's own website is saying otherwise now. Also, ever since upgrading my soundbar to the new 3.3 FW I'm not getting really bad audio stuttering and just garbage when half the time I go from a PCM output (nvidia shield menu) to a surround sound output (any app such as Plex, Netflix, Youtube, etc.). It's a real problem. I have to keep going out and back into apps until that garbage output disappears. The wife can't stand it and I'm not too fond of it myself.
Just wondering, if they have changed recommendations due to some of the issues they are getting from the customers?

Btw, I don't see the stuttering issue with my Shield and Naka 7.2. Do you see this with any specific App/show that has PCM format?
post #5040 of 5201 Old 09-06-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Just wondering, if they have changed recommendations due to some of the issues they are getting from the customers?

Btw, I don't see the stuttering issue with my Shield and Naka 7.2. Do you see this with any specific App/show that has PCM format?
I get it anytime I go from a menu in any of the apps (Plex, Channels (my live TV), Youtube, etc.) and start playing a file. So the audio is going from PCM (menu audio output) to the audio output of the file (DD, DTS, etc.). I didn't get it until I upgraded to the new 3.3 FW. Don't know what could be causing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page