Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 169 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1304Likes

post #5041 of 5161 Old 09-06-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffinmylye View Post
I get it anytime I go from a menu in any of the apps (Plex, Channels (my live TV), Youtube, etc.) and start playing a file. So the audio is going from PCM (menu audio output) to the audio output of the file (DD, DTS, etc.). I didn't get it until I upgraded to the new 3.3 FW. Don't know what could be causing it.
I had this weird issue before 3.3 where Naka was not handling switching from PCM to non-PCM format well. At that time, I had to toggle Pure Direct settings to get the sound back to normal.

But after 3.3, this issue seems to have resolved for me. Now, my Naka 7.2 is doing good (touch wood).

I did have one issue that I saw only once. When going from Dolby to DTS - my soundbar went crazy and I had to power cycle it. I have not seen this problem again. I think someone else also saw the issue when switching between DTS and Dolby (I think Joshua).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5161 Old 09-06-2019, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post
I had this weird issue before 3.3 where Naka was not handling switching from PCM to non-PCM format well. At that time, I had to toggle Pure Direct settings to get the sound back to normal.

But after 3.3, this issue seems to have resolved for me. Now, my Naka 7.2 is doing good (touch wood).

I did have one issue that I saw only once. When going from Dolby to DTS - my soundbar went crazy and I had to power cycle it. I have not seen this problem again. I think someone else also saw the issue when switching between DTS and Dolby (I think Joshua).
Hmmm, maybe I need to fiddle with the remote and Pure Direct settings. I rarely touch the Nakamichi remote as I use a Harmony remote for everything (though I'm considering ditching that for my LG remote and just using CEC for everything).
post #5043 of 5161 Old 09-06-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, maybe I need to fiddle with the remote and Pure Direct settings. I rarely touch the Nakamichi remote as I use a Harmony remote for everything (though I'm considering ditching that for my LG remote and just using CEC for everything).
I assume you did the Nakamichi Holy Grail steps after 3.3 upgrade? Reset the soundbar, and HDMI refresh exactly how they explain on their website...

Know what, with 3.2, I had to keep using Naka remote as well, in addition to Harmony. Now, not any more.

I still have some Harmony buttons programmed for Pure Direct, DSP settings etc. But other than switching between Movie or Clear Voice, I now rarely use any other soundbar setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5044 of 5161 Old 09-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I assume you did the Nakamichi Holy Grail steps after 3.3 upgrade? Reset the soundbar, and HDMI refresh exactly how they explain on their website...

Know what, with 3.2, I had to keep using Naka remote as well, in addition to Harmony. Now, not any more.

I still have some Harmony buttons programmed for Pure Direct, DSP settings etc. But other than switching between Movie or Clear Voice, I now rarely use any other soundbar setting.
I followed this video. Is there something else I needed to do?

post #5045 of 5161 Old 09-06-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I followed this video. Is there something else I needed to do?
Check this out...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-s...l#post58351468

After you follow the above procedure to the dot, start by connecting your streaming devices one by one so that HDMI handshake is re-established.
post #5046 of 5161 Old 09-06-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Check this out...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-s...l#post58351468

After you follow the above procedure to the dot, start by connecting your streaming devices one by one so that HDMI handshake is re-established.
Thank you. I will try this when I get home.
In The Bay likes this.
post #5047 of 5161 Old 09-06-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, PCM-MC

Hi everyone. I have a few Dolby Atmos demo discs and I have the option to playback in either Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus. If I select Dolby TrueHD sometimes the soundbar displays Dolby Atmos and sometimes it starts off saying Dolby but before it can scroll to display "Atmos" the read out says PCM-MC which I assume is PCM Multichannel. Is PCM Multichannel supposed to display? Sounds fine, just as finicky as this bar has been and my lack of audio format knowledge has me curious...Thanks.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #5048 of 5161 Old 09-07-2019, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrodriguez559 View Post
So i tried your methods just now and all audio cleared up. Subs are working beautiful no clipping in subs or surround speakers. Alberto actually called while i was testing and he has taken notes to hand down to engineering so they can try to recreate what is happening with our setups so they can fix it. He said it was me and one other that had these issues im guessing its you lol. Good luck ill post updates
Any updates or word back from Nakamichi support?
post #5049 of 5161 Old 09-07-2019, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I visited this thread, and dont really have time to go back through hundreds of replies, so sorry if this has been addressed already.

I noticed that a new firmware was released for the Elite 7.2 just a few months ago. I'm currently on Firmware 21, and have had an issue with a "popping" sounds that comes and goes every now and then. It sounds like distant fireworks going off, but I know it's from my speakers as it gets louder with increased volume, and goes away as soon as I turn off my speakers.

I'm assuming this is some sort of interference with other wireless signals as the sound comes from the subwoofers and rear speakers, but not the sound bar. Usually power cycling the sound bar fixes the issue, until it happens again, which could be several days.

I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and if upgrading yo the newest firmware fixes this? I've already disabled the 2.4ghz band on my router incase that was interfering with the speakers since they used 2.4ghz as well, but i cant do anything about disabling my neighbors 2.4ghz bands.
post #5050 of 5161 Old 09-08-2019, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffer311 View Post
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I visited this thread, and dont really have time to go back through hundreds of replies, so sorry if this has been addressed already.

I noticed that a new firmware was released for the Elite 7.2 just a few months ago. I'm currently on Firmware 21, and have had an issue with a "popping" sounds that comes and goes every now and then. It sounds like distant fireworks going off, but I know it's from my speakers as it gets louder with increased volume, and goes away as soon as I turn off my speakers.

I'm assuming this is some sort of interference with other wireless signals as the sound comes from the subwoofers and rear speakers, but not the sound bar. Usually power cycling the sound bar fixes the issue, until it happens again, which could be several days.

I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and if upgrading yo the newest firmware fixes this? I've already disabled the 2.4ghz band on my router incase that was interfering with the speakers since they used 2.4ghz as well, but i cant do anything about disabling my neighbors 2.4ghz bands.
It is actually the 5ghz that may interfere with speakers.
post #5051 of 5161 Old 09-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Hi everyone. I have a few Dolby Atmos demo discs and I have the option to playback in either Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus. If I select Dolby TrueHD sometimes the soundbar displays Dolby Atmos and sometimes it starts off saying Dolby but before it can scroll to display "Atmos" the read out says PCM-MC which I assume is PCM Multichannel. Is PCM Multichannel supposed to display? Sounds fine, just as finicky as this bar has been and my lack of audio format knowledge has me curious...Thanks.
I'd bet it has something to do with your Blu-Ray player and its audio settings, specifically how it is configured to handle Atmos tracks. For example, my Xbox One X audio setting is set to Dolby Atmos output by default. On my AVR, the display reads "Dolby Atmos/PCM" no matter what I am doing (gaming, streaming, etc). Basically, the Xbox decodes the lossless Atmos and converts it to Multichannel PCM, then bitstreams Atmos-encoded PCM to the receiver. What you are getting is true lossless Atmos, but it is in PCM format rather than TrueHD. Another name for this format is Dolby MAT (Metadata Audio Transmission). The Atmos object-related metadata is passed along in the PCM signal to the Soundbar/AVR. So, what you are seeing is likely correct and accurate.
post #5052 of 5161 Old 09-08-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rigali View Post
I'd bet it has something to do with your Blu-Ray player and its audio settings, specifically how it is configured to handle Atmos tracks. For example, my Xbox One X audio setting is set to Dolby Atmos output by default. On my AVR, the display reads "Dolby Atmos/PCM" no matter what I am doing (gaming, streaming, etc). Basically, the Xbox decodes the lossless Atmos and converts it to Multichannel PCM, then bitstreams Atmos-encoded PCM to the receiver. What you are getting is true lossless Atmos, but it is in PCM format rather than TrueHD. Another name for this format is Dolby MAT (Metadata Audio Transmission). The Atmos object-related metadata is passed along in the PCM signal to the Soundbar/AVR. So, what you are seeing is likely correct and accurate.
Ok, so everything is how it should be. No cause for concern or trying to figure out what setting to adjust?

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5053 of 5161 Old 09-08-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I could really use your help...

I currently have separates with a Denon atmos amp and 5 Elite up firing speakers and a good Marin Logan sub. I’m looking to downsize and simplify. I’m hoping the Nakamichi 7.2 is my solution. However I need the Nakamichi to be reliable and I’m reading here and elsewhere that I should expect occasional connection drops. Not good!

So - Here are my questions

1 - Will I be satisfied with the Nakamichi coming from separates?
2 - Has the latest firmware update solved the drop out issues?
3 - How does Atmos work on a setup with no up firing speakers?
4 - Anyone with experience comparing the Nakamichi to Samsung’s Q80? Thoughts?

Unfortunately there’s nowhere local I can go to see and hear the Nakamichi. Surprising since I’m in Los Angeles. So trying to gather as much info as I can.

Thanks for any feedback anyone can offer.
post #5054 of 5161 Old 09-08-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Guy View Post

I currently have separates with a Denon atmos amp and 5 Elite up firing speakers and a good Marin Logan sub. I’m looking to downsize and simplify. I’m hoping the Nakamichi 7.2 is my solution. However I need the Nakamichi to be reliable and I’m reading here and elsewhere that I should expect occasional connection drops. Not good!

Unfortunately there’s nowhere local I can go to see and hear the Nakamichi. Surprising since I’m in Los Angeles. So trying to gather as much info as I can.

I went to a friends house last weekend who had separates and 6 in ceiling speakers. His setup sounded better...but I was surprised how good the 7.1 sounds in comparison. I have no complaints about height effects. I do have my rears mounted about a foot above ear level when I'm sitting. Swear there are objects flying overhead. Sounds spectacular.

I have a 7.1 and do not have any drop outs. I also have a theory about the dropouts. 2 theories actually. I had regular drop outs when I was using a Sony x700 blu ray player and after I replaced that player with a Panasonic I haven't had any dropouts. But also...I had previously been using the Native setting which surprisingly is meant for music or bluetooth which is typically only 2 channel...I had assumed "Native" was referencing the native audio track with no software processing...I had occasional issues in that mode where things just didn't sound "right" especially tv like America's Got Talent- it just sounded weird and also there were just weird abnormalities. I recently became aware that Dolby Surround was the correct "mode" for movies/tv and not only does it sound 10 times better, I have had no issues to speak of since...

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5055 of 5161 Old 09-08-2019, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
How can anyone answer that? You know you're trading audio quality for simplicity. The Naka won't sound as good as what you have. But lots of people (myself included) are quite happy with the sound the Naka produces given its cost and form factor. Whether that tradeoff is acceptable to you is entirely subjective.

Quote:
No. There are issues ranging from niggling to serious depending on your particular setup. Most people seem to get to an acceptable solution with some tinkering. But if you want 100% glitch-free operation, you're not going to get it from Naka right now.

Quote:
Better than you'd think but not as good as what you've got.

Quote:
Can't help you there.
shinken1 likes this.
post #5056 of 5161 Old 09-08-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:

I had the elites, plus an SVS sub with a Denon x2300. I moved into a condo and just didn't have the room for that setup, so I bought the Nakamichi. The Nakamichi is good, but I miss the more full and rich sound that I had with the separates, and I really miss the impact of the SVS sub. My advice is that unless you HAVE to do this, don't.

Looky here!
post #5057 of 5161 Old 09-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
I had the elites, plus an SVS sub with a Denon x2300. I moved into a condo and just didn't have the room for that setup, so I bought the Nakamichi. The Nakamichi is good, but I miss the more full and rich sound that I had with the separates, and I really miss the impact of the SVS sub. My advice is that unless you HAVE to do this, don't.
Thanks robnix. Great feedback. I’m curious though, does your Nakamichi have 1 sub or two?
post #5058 of 5161 Old 09-08-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Thanks robnix. Great feedback. I’m curious though, does your Nakamichi have 1 sub or two?
1 sub, have to be kind to my neighbors . It's a very nice soundbar, but it's still a soundbar.

Looky here!
post #5059 of 5161 Old 09-08-2019, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I bought this back in June and updated to the latest firmware when it came out, BUT I couldn't use my sub or speakers as I was living with a friend until my new place was finished. Now that i'm moved in I got my setup ready to go but am noticing that my sub will drop out pretty often during anything i am playing, some times for just a second, sometimes for 5-10 seconds but always comes back. I have noticed that if I reboot the sub I get a good connection for 10-20 minutes but then it starts dropping again. I've adjusted my router based on Nakamichi suggestions but still have the problem.

Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
post #5060 of 5161 Old 09-09-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickshade View Post
Hi all,

I bought this back in June and updated to the latest firmware when it came out, BUT I couldn't use my sub or speakers as I was living with a friend until my new place was finished. Now that i'm moved in I got my setup ready to go but am noticing that my sub will drop out pretty often during anything i am playing, some times for just a second, sometimes for 5-10 seconds but always comes back. I have noticed that if I reboot the sub I get a good connection for 10-20 minutes but then it starts dropping again. I've adjusted my router based on Nakamichi suggestions but still have the problem.

Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
Have you tried rebooting the sound bar? Also, it is super easy to to take the back cover off the sub. You may have a wire that is not properly seated. I had to reseat the wire once and I haven't had any dropouts since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 8.54.14 AM.png
Views:	52
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	2612926  

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5061 of 5161 Old 09-12-2019, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
11 x 16 room - best config?

Hey everyone! I am finishing my basement and trying to decide what type of Nakamichi config would best for a relatively small room. The room is around 11 x16 and the TV will go on the short wall and we will sit around 10 ft back. Will the 2 10inch subs with the 9.2.4 be too overpowering. I will probably put them on the sidewall to make it easy to wire up the surrounds. I do like the idea of the 4 surrounds.

Thanks!!

Mark
post #5062 of 5161 Old 09-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Okay, I held off on saying anything because I wanted to give Nakamichi the benefit of the doubt, but I've had it. After a ton of troubleshooting, I determined that my 7.1 Pro just wasn't going to work in my particular setup (whether due to faulty hardware or my specific use case). I requested a return and was told someone would contact me. The customer service was great until that point. That was three weeks ago and now, after multiple calls and emails, I've still got the box sitting in my living room. I've sent follow up emails, left voicemails, and still nothing. Initially, someone would answer the phone almost every time I called. For the last few days, no one has answered. If I didn't know better, I might think they were avoiding my calls. I don't feel good about selling it since it may be faulty, so now I'm out the $$$ and there's apparently nothing I can do about it.

If anyone has any advice on how to proceed, it would be much appreciated...

Vizio P75-F1 | Denon AVR-S740H | Chane A1.5/A2.4 L/C/R | Boston VRS Micro Surrounds | Dayton Sub-1200 | HTPC (Win10, Red Dragon RX 5700 XT, Kodi, MPC-HC/MadVR) | PS4 | XBone

Last edited by sd_smoker; 09-12-2019 at 10:55 AM.
post #5063 of 5161 Old 09-12-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_smoker View Post
Okay, I held off on saying anything because I wanted to give Nakamichi the benefit of the doubt, but I've had it. After a ton of troubleshooting, I determined that my 7.1 Pro just wasn't going to work in my particular setup (whether due to faulty hardware or my specific use case). I requested a return and was told someone would contact me. The customer service was great until that point. That was three weeks ago and now, after multiple calls and emails, I've still got the box sitting in my living room. I've sent follow up emails, left voicemails, and still nothing. Initially, someone would answer the phone almost every time I called. For the last few days, no one has answered. If I didn't know better, I might think they were avoiding my calls. I don't feel good about selling it since it may be faulty, so now I'm out the $$$ and there's apparently nothing I can do about it.

File a dispute with your credit card company.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5064 of 5161 Old 09-12-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
File a dispute with your credit card company.
I just left another voicemail and mentioned that if I'm not contacted in the next day or so, I will dispute the charge. Here's hoping that's enough motivation for them...

Vizio P75-F1 | Denon AVR-S740H | Chane A1.5/A2.4 L/C/R | Boston VRS Micro Surrounds | Dayton Sub-1200 | HTPC (Win10, Red Dragon RX 5700 XT, Kodi, MPC-HC/MadVR) | PS4 | XBone
post #5065 of 5161 Old 09-12-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_smoker View Post

Private message them on Facebook. That's what worked for me after everything else failed.
post #5066 of 5161 Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Private message them on Facebook. That's what worked for me after everything else failed.
I messaged them yesterday and no response. I've called, emailed, and FB messaged enough over the last 3 weeks that I can initiate a chargeback with a clean conscience. I'm on the phone with the CC company as I type, actually. I like rooting for the underdog, especially when their product has so much potential, but this whole situation is just completely unacceptable.

post #5067 of 5161 Old 09-13-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi fellow Naka users. I'm still loving my 7.1 Pro. The Atmos firmware didn't blow me away but I don't have any issues for the most part. My question is about speaker placement. The room my HT is set up in is not conducive to a great speaker setup. Currently the surrounds (rears?) are a couple ft to the left/right of my sofa. I think they are too close to be honest but the only other option is to set them up at the very back of the room. At that point they would be 11-12 ft directly behind the sofa. Too far?? I can provide pics if that helps.
post #5068 of 5161 Old 09-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McNamara View Post
Currently the surrounds (rears?) are a couple ft to the left/right of my sofa.
It's not ideal but it shouldn't be a big problem provided you adjust your balance appropriately. One of our rears is just a couple feet from the sofa because it can't go anywhere else, and it still sounds OK.
post #5069 of 5161 Old 09-14-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McNamara View Post
Hi fellow Naka users. I'm still loving my 7.1 Pro. The Atmos firmware didn't blow me away but I don't have any issues for the most part. My question is about speaker placement. The room my HT is set up in is not conducive to a great speaker setup. Currently the surrounds (rears?) are a couple ft to the left/right of my sofa. I think they are too close to be honest but the only other option is to set them up at the very back of the room. At that point they would be 11-12 ft directly behind the sofa. Too far?? I can provide pics if that helps.
Mine are on the wall to the left and right of our 2 couches. They are about a foot behind the couch and about a foot above ear level on swivel mounts for speakers so they are angled slightly toward the couches and they sound great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190914_093424.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2615030   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190914_093408.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2615032  

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5070 of 5161 Old 09-15-2019, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys quick question. I just bought a fire stick to add to the soundbar but I’m already using hdmi 2 for Apple tv and then hdmi 3 for my Blu ray player is there a correct way or preference as to which Hdmi port I should hook this fire stick into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page