Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 174 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1325Likes

post #5191 of 5289 Old 10-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffinmylye View Post
Direct to Naka. ARC port goes from Naka to TV.
Then no - I haven't seen any distortion/switching problems like you have in that case. It *does* take a second or two for the bar to kick in when the stream format switches, but that's true on my Oppo UHD just as much as on the Shield. But generally speaking, Plex on the Shield (direct to the Naka) works fine for me. There may be some issues (possibly Plex/Shield specific) with DTS-HD audio specifically, but all other formats (including TrueHD/Atmos) work fine. This may be a case where better cabling and/or a thorough and careful HDMI reset could help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Dolby Surround for anything dolby, Neural X for anything DTS. I had mine set to "Native" thinking that would give me the native audio track of whatever was playing, but it's actually meant for music or blutooth...feel like someone kinda dropped the ball on the naming convention there...
No... "Native" just plays the audio track without any upmixing by the bar, much as you expected it to. So 5.1 DTS audio is just 5.1 channel audio with no fancy stuff happening. Sometimes that's fine depending on the title and on individual taste. Personally, I watch plenty of old movies and strongly prefer Native mode for mono or stereo audio, leaving the rears silent. For post-2000 films I go with Dolby Surround or NeuralX. 80's/90's films with 5.1 audio (sometimes revisionist upmixes) are iffy. I usually go with DSurround/NeuralX for starters, but about 25% of the time it just doesn't sound right - typically because the dialogue sounds odd and fuzzy. In such cases, Native often sounds better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5289 Old 10-22-2019, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
So if I'm looking on ebay I should be trying to get one of the 2018 refurbs correct? Was it confirmed that the 2018 bars are exactly the same as 2019 bars after the Atmos update?

Ah...my current Vizio Soundbar only has one HDMI port and that doesn't passthrough 4K so I connect all of my devices to my TV.
The 2019s have an improved remote (better IR signal), and I think they use different (better?) capacitors. Other than that, there’s no difference after you update the firmware.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
post #5193 of 5289 Old 10-22-2019, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
So if I'm looking on ebay I should be trying to get one of the 2018 refurbs correct? Was it confirmed that the 2018 bars are exactly the same as 2019 bars after the Atmos update?

Ah...my current Vizio Soundbar only has one HDMI port and that doesn't passthrough 4K so I connect all of my devices to my TV.
That's the reason I got the Naka....no other soundbar has 4 HDMI inputs, and they all pass through 4K including HDR and DV. I'm sure you've read through this thread and some of the post-firmware updates issues people have had, but I can honestly say my 7.1 Pro hasn't had any issues post-firmware update at all. I followed the instructions (soundbar reset, HDMI resets) to the letter and everything works like a charm. The sound, especially with modern films with 5.1 or better soundtracks, is superb.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5194 of 5289 Old 10-22-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Hey Joshua. I'm interested in possibly upgrading to the 7.1 Pro. Do you happen to use ARC with the Naka? One of the issues I was experiencing with the Vizio was audio lag over ARC when connecting it to my LG B7 and TCL P-Series. Totally messed up lip sync on HDMI devices.

Any other general comparisons you might be able to make. I know you mentioned the dialogue clarity which is also sometimes an issue I have with the Vizio but I figured that might be an issue with the content's audio mixing and not necessarily something that would get fixed. Thank you.
I had the same issue with the vizio sound bar and like yours, it only had 1 HDMI port. With the Naka I do not have any audio delay with the devices that are connected to the Naka. Since the Naka processes both the picture and audio they are in sync.

Now the devices connected to my tv and then sent to the Naka over ARC is another story. Since the tv is processing the picture and sound and then sending the sound out to the naka there is a slight delay, UNLESS I put the audio format to PCM. With audio set to PCM it's a straight passthrough and the tv isn't doing any extra sound processing (or directv box) and there's no delay.

If i use internal apps on my tv and have the tv set to auto for audio i get a slight delay. If I set the tv output to PCM it's perfect. Same with the directv box.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #5195 of 5289 Old 10-22-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 690
[QUOTE=
No... "Native" just plays the audio track without any upmixing by the bar, much as you expected it to. So 5.1 DTS audio is just 5.1 channel audio with no fancy stuff happening. Sometimes that's fine depending on the title and on individual taste. Personally, I watch plenty of old movies and strongly prefer Native mode for mono or stereo audio, leaving the rears silent. For post-2000 films I go with Dolby Surround or NeuralX. 80's/90's films with 5.1 audio (sometimes revisionist upmixes) are iffy. I usually go with DSurround/NeuralX for starters, but about 25% of the time it just doesn't sound right - typically because the dialogue sounds odd and fuzzy. In such cases, Native often sounds better.[/QUOTE]

That is what I assumed too...However, according to Nakamichi's website or manual (I can't remember where I read it at the moment) "Native" is supposed to be used for music or bluetooth...If I leave the Pure Direct setting on Native and try to watch directv the volume is inconsistent, voices are hollow and soft, music is loud and overpowering. Using Dolby Surround sounds the way you would expect.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #5196 of 5289 Old 10-22-2019, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey, Naka community.

Now that many of us have had the bar for a while, what are some of your favorite settings?

- SSE
- DSP
- Pure Direct etc.?

- Technically, my bedroom would be "small" - so I tried setting room size to Small and SSE to 1 - but the height effects were diminished. Setting these to Medium/2 seems to work better
- I started with DSP turned off, but lately, like both Movie and Clear Voice. I know audio purists probably would sneer at this
- I have pretty much stuck with Pure Direct = "Dolby Surround" from day 1 and have not explored Native or Dolby Upmix much
post #5197 of 5289 Old 10-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So..... Where and when to buy for the best deal?
post #5198 of 5289 Old 10-22-2019, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
However, according to Nakamichi's website or manual (I can't remember where I read it at the moment) "Native" is supposed to be used for music or bluetooth...
I think you're confusing Native with Stereo. From p.29 of the manual, Native = "Direct decode 2.1/5.1/7.1 channel audio (No audio upmixing)". It's just a straight decode with no processing going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post
Now that many of us have had the bar for a while, what are some of your favorite settings?

- SSE
- DSP
- Pure Direct etc.?
Some not-very-rigorous experimentation led me to Size=Medium/SSE=1 for my 65" screen at a 10' viewing distance in a 12'x15' room (open on one side). SSE=2 makes the height effects a touch too dramatic IMO, but I'd probably go that way in the same space if I had a 75"+ screen. I generally leave DSP Off, but Movie seems like it can be useful for older 5.1 audio that's never been properly remastered with modern tech. As I noted a few posts up, I use Dolby Surround for post-2000 films and Native for pre-Surround films. For 80's/90's surround films, I usually use Dolby Surround too, but occasionally Native sounds better depending on the mix. I haven't found any particular value to Dolby Upmix mode.
dfkimbro and In The Bay like this.
post #5199 of 5289 Old 10-22-2019, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzroe1 View Post
So..... Where and when to buy for the best deal?
Looks like most posting in this thread are buying refurbs off ebay of the 2018 bar from the Nakamichi store on Ebay? If you want to buy new probably want for BlackFriday. Last year they discounted new stock.
post #5200 of 5289 Old 10-22-2019, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Subwoofer popping/crackling

Hi all,
Have the Shockwafe 7.2 and lately I am hearing popping/crackling noises from the subwoofers. I checked Nakamichi's site and looked at the FAQ. It cannot be router interference due to I have the 5ghz turned off completely. All my HDMI cables are brand new and the ones that Nakamichi recommended. I have the latest firmware 33 on it. Any ideas on how to get the subs from doing this?

It's weird because I can play the movie 30 Days of Nights on my PC and I get no popping. But playing it through Plex on my Nvidia Shield I hear the popping. Any thoughts?

Last edited by HellBoundSinner; 10-22-2019 at 08:43 PM. Reason: correction
post #5201 of 5289 Old 10-22-2019, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellBoundSinner View Post
Have the Shockwafe 7.2 and lately I am hearing popping/crackling noises from the subwoofers. I checked Nakamichi's site and looked at the FAQ. It cannot be router interference due to I have the 5ghz turned off completely. All my HDMI cables are brand new and the ones that Nakamichi recommended. I have the latest firmware 33 on it. Any ideas on how to get the subs from doing this?
Any other wifi devices nearby? I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I suspect my Pixel 3a phone creates sporadic interference with my Naka's subs. I was getting occasional dropouts and crackles over the summer shortly after I got the phone, not just with the current model but also with the older 7.1 model Naka I owned before. Started turning off wifi and bluetooth when I sat down to watch a movie and the problem hasn't reoccurred in months. Like I said, I haven't tested thoroughly (it was a rare issue to begin with), but I wouldn't be surprised if the phone was scanning for wifi networks and messing with the bluetooth connection.
post #5202 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi, I'm picking up the 9.2 tomorrow. Would like to thank the users and this thread helping me in making an informed decision !!

I have a Samsung Q6F TV and Samsung native netflix app dont support Atmos yet hence two requirements i have :

1) Play Dolby Dolby ATMOS from Netflix

2) Play the downloaded movies with ATOMS from my External hard drive

For the Netflix I was thinking of purchasing Apple 4KTV but for my own content on hard disk how do I play this (Nvidia), does this mean i will have to buy two medial playes :-( ?

Please advise
christonian likes this.
post #5203 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Shield works for atmos rips. I do it all the time

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
gaurav013a likes this.
post #5204 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post
Shield works for atmos rips. I do it all the time

Thanks So i will pick up shield but for Netflix Atmos will i need apple 4K ? Coz as per nakamichi website only apple tv 4k does atmos from netflix , attached pic from Nakamichi website https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...631100&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nakamichi.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2631100  
post #5205 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav013a View Post
Thanks So i will pick up shield but for Netflix Atmos will i need apple 4K ? Coz as per nakamichi website only apple tv 4k does atmos from netflix , attached pic from Nakamichi website https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...631100&thumb=1
New shield is out soon with netflix atmos.

post #5206 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
New shield is out soon with netflix atmos.

Thanks for your reply

You mean a new shield box ? or an software update to the existing

I can hold on for purchasing if the new box is round the corner
post #5207 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply

You mean a new shield box ? or an software update to the existing

I can hold on for purchasing if the new box is round the corner
New box

post #5208 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
I think you're confusing Native with Stereo. From p.29 of the manual, Native = "Direct decode 2.1/5.1/7.1 channel audio (No audio upmixing)". It's just a straight decode with no processing going on.

Some not-very-rigorous experimentation led me to Size=Medium/SSE=1 for my 65" screen at a 10' viewing distance in a 12'x15' room (open on one side). SSE=2 makes the height effects a touch too dramatic IMO, but I'd probably go that way in the same space if I had a 75"+ screen. I generally leave DSP Off, but Movie seems like it can be useful for older 5.1 audio that's never been properly remastered with modern tech. As I noted a few posts up, I use Dolby Surround for post-2000 films and Native for pre-Surround films. For 80's/90's surround films, I usually use Dolby Surround too, but occasionally Native sounds better depending on the mix. I haven't found any particular value to Dolby Upmix mode.
Which is the wife friendly audio setting?

post #5209 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Which is the wife friendly audio setting?
The one where I sell off other gear/collectibles I have lying around my man-cave so that I can fund the purchase through Paypal.
atfree and In The Bay like this.
post #5210 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
The one where I sell off other gear/collectibles I have lying around my man-cave so that I can fund the purchase through Paypal.

post #5211 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffinmylye View Post
Does anyone use their Nakamichi soundbar with an Nvidia Shield and use the Plex app alot? Most of the time anytime I start playing any media (regardless of the audio codec as I've tried DTS, DD5.1, Atmos, EAC3, AAC, etc.), I get terrible noise/audio stuttering/distorted audio. I have to exit back to the menu, often put the audio on mute, then start the media again and unmute it to get the audio to be correct. I think it's the switching between the Menu audio (PCM) and the file audio that is causing the issue.

I can't seem to fix it and Nakamichi support doesn't seem to be of any help. Their suggestion is change out my HDMI cables and confirm all my setting are correct on the Shield. I've done both those things to no avail.
I wrote about this too. I keep hearing like a popping/crackling noise using the same set up such as yourself. My settings are correct too and I have all brand new HDMI cords that were even recommended from Nakamichi.
post #5212 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I am going to give SSE=1 a try again! My bedroom size and TV all match yours!

I gotta try Native too! One area where I've been using DSP = Clear Voice a lot is for morning TV news. When my GF is still sleeping, I am up and about doing chores and getting ready while the TV is on. At DSP=off, I need my volume to be around 22 to get a clear voice. But that means, when the ads are on, everything gets louder. With Clear Voice, even at a volume of 18, I can hear the news very clearly!!
post #5213 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellBoundSinner View Post
I wrote about this too. I keep hearing like a popping/crackling noise using the same set up such as yourself. My settings are correct too and I have all brand new HDMI cords that were even recommended from Nakamichi.
I have a Shield but I admit I do not use it much as I prefer Infuse on Apple TV 4k. I do use Shield when I need DTS or Atmos passthrough for Plex, which ATV does not support.

I have not had issues with my Nakamichi and Plex (on Shield) for PCM or Dolby or when switching between the two. The issue comes when switching from anything to DTS or vice versa. Some of my DTS content does not even play on Nakamichi, in which case I just switch back to ATV and Infuse.
post #5214 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
New box

Two things I would love if Shield did:

- Netflix Atmos - I hope this will be available to existing customers via firmware upgrade too?

- Match frame and content - Shield upscales everything to 4K and does not do a good job all the time. Pic, HDR, 4K or 1080p - all seem to look waaay better with ATV on both my 4K and 8K TVs
post #5215 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Hi, I'm picking up the 9.2 tomorrow. Would like to thank the users and this thread helping me in making an informed decision !!

I have a Samsung Q6F TV and Samsung native netflix app dont support Atmos yet hence two requirements i have :

1) Play Dolby Dolby ATMOS from Netflix

2) Play the downloaded movies with ATOMS from my External hard drive

For the Netflix I was thinking of purchasing Apple 4KTV but for my own content on hard disk how do I play this (Nvidia), does this mean i will have to buy two medial playes :-( ?

Please advise
As I wrote earlier:

- For streamed content, I prefer ATV for two reasons. One, the picture and color look waaaay better on my ATV 4K - for 1080p, 4K and HDR. Shield looks washed out. I don't know if this is because it is not matching content like ATV but always upscaling video to 4K. Their upscaling seems sucky at times, and they probably should just let the TV do the upscaling.
Netflix and Atmos was another reason - but now based on what I am reading, that probably is not an issue.

- Infuse on ATV is way more polished than Plex on Shield. Essentially, it plugs into a plex server but I have NEVER come across anything that Infuse failed to render properly or went into buffering. However, it does not do a passthrough for DTS:X, Atmos etc., because ATV does not let Infuse do that. For such content, I use Shield and Plex.
gaurav013a likes this.
post #5216 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Two things I would love if Shield did:

- Netflix Atmos - I hope this will be available to existing customers via firmware upgrade too?

- Match frame and content - Shield upscales everything to 4K and does not do a good job all the time. Pic, HDR, 4K or 1080p - all seem to look waaay better with ATV on both my 4K and 8K TVs
New shield does upscaling too

post #5217 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
New shield does upscaling too

Do they allow us to disable or match content?

Edit: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ter-new-remote

Based on this, it seems that their upscaling is "different" in the new box? The big new feature seems to be support for Dolby Vision.
post #5218 of 5289 Old 10-23-2019, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
New shield does upscaling too.
The old Shield did upscaling too. The claim is that new Shield does upscaling better. I can't say I had big problems with the old one myself.
post #5219 of 5289 Old 10-24-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
As I wrote earlier:

- For streamed content, I prefer ATV for two reasons. One, the picture and color look waaaay better on my ATV 4K - for 1080p, 4K and HDR. Shield looks washed out. I don't know if this is because it is not matching content like ATV but always upscaling video to 4K. Their upscaling seems sucky at times, and they probably should just let the TV do the upscaling.
Netflix and Atmos was another reason - but now based on what I am reading, that probably is not an issue.

- Infuse on ATV is way more polished than Plex on Shield. Essentially, it plugs into a plex server but I have NEVER come across anything that Infuse failed to render properly or went into buffering. However, it does not do a passthrough for DTS:X, Atmos etc., because ATV does not let Infuse do that. For such content, I use Shield and Plex.
Thank you Morphx2 & In The Bay for your quick responses ... it helps me make an informed decision yet again..

This thread and its members rock
In The Bay likes this.
post #5220 of 5289 Old 10-26-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Besides the loosing the 2nd sub (which I do not need in my small bonus room), is the Nakamichi 7.1.4 system still a viable option, and equivalent to the 7.2.4?

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page