Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 177 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1347Likes

post #5281 of 5508 Old 11-13-2019, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkgabe View Post
I noticed the same thing, but I have a LG SK10Y soundbar. Atmos volume is low and has no punch. I turn it up a lot and it still doesn't sound as loud and clear and punchy as it does when I disable atmos. I have atmos disabled on my ATV4K now for that reason.
Between ATV 4K and Shield, I prefer Shield because everything sounds so much better. I assumed that was because ATV does it all in PCM while Shield outputs Dolby for most supported apps. The difference is crazy!

But I have not compared, on ATV, LPCM vs Atmos. I will try and do that tonight, and also try LPCM on ATV4K with Atmos on Shield and see if they sound different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 5508 Old 11-13-2019, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Is anyone else not getting Dolby Atmos via the Disney Plus app on their Xbox one or Xbox one x? I have an X and I get Dolby Atmos through the Dolby app and through Netflix fine. However, I can only get 5.1 through the Xbox via disney plus at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5283 of 5508 Old 11-13-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post
Between ATV 4K and Shield, I prefer Shield because everything sounds so much better. I assumed that was because ATV does it all in PCM while Shield outputs Dolby for most supported apps. The difference is crazy!

But I have not compared, on ATV, LPCM vs Atmos. I will try and do that tonight, and also try LPCM on ATV4K with Atmos on Shield and see if they sound different.
Ok, I tried the below

App: Vudu
Movie: Man of Steel
Scene: The one where little Clark Kent gets scared at the school and hides in a closet and his teacher bangs the door
Nakamichi Volume: 20

1. Apple TV 4K with Atmos turned on

Sounded ok

2. Apple TV 4K with Atmos turned off

Naka display showed PCM-MC and it sounded better than Atmos. The punch and bass were better. However, the spatial/height effects were better with Atmos turned on. That said, overall, sounded much better with Atmos turned off

3. Nvidia Shield 2019 with Atmos

Sounded amazing. Sounded way louder than ATV (at the same volume) and the difference was noticeable. Especially when the teacher bangs the door, every bang shook me.

Clearly, ATV is not doing something right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5284 of 5508 Old 11-13-2019, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok, I tried the below

App: Vudu
Movie: Man of Steel
Scene: The one where little Clark Kent gets scared at the school and hides in a closet and his teacher bangs the door
Nakamichi Volume: 20

1. Apple TV 4K with Atmos turned on

Sounded ok

2. Apple TV 4K with Atmos turned off

Naka display showed PCM-MC and it sounded better than Atmos. The punch and bass were better. However, the spatial/height effects were better with Atmos turned on. That said, overall, sounded much better with Atmos turned off

3. Nvidia Shield 2019 with Atmos

Sounded amazing. Sounded way louder than ATV (at the same volume) and the difference was noticeable. Especially when the teacher bangs the door, every bang shook me.

Clearly, ATV is not doing something right.
Thanks for running those tests! Not sure what is up with the ATV but I sure hope Apple improves the audio experience real soon. I understand some may say why care about atmos sound through a soundbar setup, but honestly the audio difference is very noticeable even with a soundbar setup.
In The Bay likes this.
post #5285 of 5508 Old 11-13-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
Anyone else not getting Dolby Atmos on the new Disney + app using Nvidia Shield?
Getting Atmos using the app on Amazon Fire Stick with no problems.

You’re getting it on your fire stick? I have the 4k fire stick and can’t get it on mine or my Xbox.

post #5286 of 5508 Old 11-13-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
Last year, they did $250 off the 9.2, $150 off the 7.2, and $100 off the 7.1

https://slickdeals.net/f/12284188-na...hipping-849-99

No idea on this year

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Last year they cleared out their inventory of the systems that didn’t have the firmware for Dolby Atmos installed. I got the 9.2 for $850. Well worth it! Not sure they will do anything remotely close to this though.

post #5287 of 5508 Old 11-13-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkassouf View Post
You’re getting it on your fire stick? I have the 4k fire stick and can’t get it on mine or my Xbox.

Not anymore on the Fire Stick.
Yesterday morning I did get Atmos on the stick using the Disney + app but now not.
Seems there is a problem on several devices with Disney + and Atmos.
post #5288 of 5508 Old 11-13-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkgabe View Post
Thanks for running those tests! Not sure what is up with the ATV but I sure hope Apple improves the audio experience real soon. I understand some may say why care about atmos sound through a soundbar setup, but honestly the audio difference is very noticeable even with a soundbar setup.
Agreed! I hated Nvidia 2017 and rarely used it with its nasty 4K upscaling. I was happy with ATV4K till I got a Shield 2019 last week, mainly for its AI-upscaling, and whoa, I realized I was missing the full capabilities of Nakamichi till then.

Except for Disney+ not supporting Atmos on Shield, so far I have zero issues with Shield. I do miss the ATV interface at times, consistency of it across apps - but I guess I'll survive.
post #5289 of 5508 Old 11-15-2019, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post
Did anyone try to mount the rear speakers to ceiling for the 9.2.4

Is there any possible placement with the rear and side speakers mounted to ceiling

Anyone ?

post #5290 of 5508 Old 11-16-2019, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Nvidia Sheild pro 2019 vs Amazon 4k stick...
I watch youtube and ESPN on both of these devices and it seems to sound much better on the 4k firestick showing Dolby Digital+ on the Nakamichi.
On the nvidia Sheild pro 2019 it shows PCM on the Nakamichi and does not seem to sound as good. Any suggestions for the absolute best quakity sound thru the Nakamichi?
Thanks
post #5291 of 5508 Old 11-16-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
Nvidia Sheild pro 2019 vs Amazon 4k stick...
I watch youtube and ESPN on both of these devices and it seems to sound much better on the 4k firestick showing Dolby Digital+ on the Nakamichi.
On the nvidia Sheild pro 2019 it shows PCM on the Nakamichi and does not seem to sound as good. Any suggestions for the absolute best quakity sound thru the Nakamichi?
Thanks
I see similar behavior with ATV - which does PCM/LPCM - and Nakamichi sounds much better with Shield which instead outputs Dolby D/D+.

I have not tried ESPN on either, so not sure, but take Netflix, Hulu, Vudu etc., and Shield sounds way better!

I assume this is because LPCM/PCM are handled differently by Nakamichi? I would expect LPCM 5.1 to sound way better than DD+ - but Nakamichi seems to like DD+.
post #5292 of 5508 Old 11-16-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Xbox One Streaming Apps with Dolby Atmos:
* Dolby Access App (works perfect)
* Amazing Prime (No Atmos)
* Netflix (No Atmos)
* Disney+ (No Atmos)

- On Atmos content
- all content titles show 5.1 HD
- tried D Direct button for Dolby surround but rear backs don’t have sound
- But on Dolby Access Xbox App it all works and its Dolby Atmos and incredible when playing those clips
- When I hit info button it says Dolby Atmos MAT but rears don’t come on even with D button

Would love help prior to giving up. Thanks

post #5293 of 5508 Old 11-16-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit9 View Post
Xbox One Streaming Apps with Dolby Atmos:
* Dolby Access App (works perfect)
* Amazing Prime (No Atmos)
* Netflix (No Atmos)
* Disney+ (No Atmos)

- On Atmos content
- all content titles show 5.1 HD
- tried D Direct button for Dolby surround but rear backs don’t have sound
- But on Dolby Access Xbox App it all works and its Dolby Atmos and incredible when playing those clips
- When I hit info button it says Dolby Atmos MAT but rears don’t come on even with D button

Would love help prior to giving up. Thanks

The Xbox is straight garbage for 4k HDR streaming or otherwise anyways. You're better off using anything other than the Xbox. HDR doesn't even look like HDR and Netflix either forces everything into HDR or doesn't do HDR at all. It's 100% pure trash for anything other than gaming. Do yourself a favor and get a different streaming/4k disc player. If the Xbox is the only device you have then you haven't even seen HDR yet.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #5294 of 5508 Old 11-16-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
The Xbox is straight garbage for 4k HDR streaming or otherwise anyways. You're better off using anything other than the Xbox. HDR doesn't even look like HDR and Netflix either forces everything into HDR or doesn't do HDR at all. It's 100% pure trash for anything other than gaming. Do yourself a favor and get a different streaming/4k disc player. If the Xbox is the only device you have then you haven't even seen HDR yet.

Ok.. good.. totally fine with that and would love a recommendation on what streaming box/device in which I could best experience Dolby Atmos on apps such as Prime, Disney+, etc?

Thanks for responding

post #5295 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Nakamichi is offering a black friday deal again. Just got an email from them confirming up to $300 off for the 9.2.4 sb down to $72 for the 7.1 pro. May be a good time to buy the 9.2.4.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #5296 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 05:17 AM

I love my 7 month old 2018 Nakamichi 9.2.4. In fact, I love it so much I am tempted to get the 2019 9.2.4 version if it's 300 off on Black Friday.
Does any one here have experience with both. Wish there was a comparison video
post #5297 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the 9.2.4....... I have 3 quick questions:

1. Can you use my amazon 4k stick fire remote to control the volume and power on/off the shockwafe? (simplicity for wife)

2. I've heard some horror stories about the subs/rear speakers cutting out, is this actually a thing? (I am battling this issue with my SK9Y and I can't stand it anymore)

3. Is the delay in audio when chaning channel/source only when doing app/audio changes? Or is it everytime you pause a show on netflix or fastforward?

Thank you so much!
post #5298 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Ok.. good.. totally fine with that and would love a recommendation on what streaming box/device in which I could best experience Dolby Atmos on apps such as Prime, Disney+, etc?

Thanks for responding

Anyone recommend a streaming device that is best to produce Atmos sound? My Xbox one only does 5.1 on apps.

post #5299 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just ordered the 9.2 2019 for 999 - 140 (best buy reward certs) -50 future reward certs for using bestbuy credit card - $809 shipped free to alaska. I cant like the slickdeals thread because i don't have enough posts yet.
I am upgrading from vizio 5.1.2 (300 2018 black friday) - I really liked it but always wondered what a bit more money will get me. Hopefully i made a good decision in ordering this today. Not sure how i will like having a wire run to the side speakers, but i figure i can pull them back to the couch (on back wall) when not using them. Room dimensions 24 foot wide - 14 deep and couch is on back wall- assume that is not ideal for rear channel to have them about 6 inches behind you on the wall? I will be using this with an LG 2018 C8 OLED (65') and eventually upgrade to a newer LG so i can get the Gsync/variable refresh rate for pc gaming. Not sure that the HDMI options on this bar will work with that but ill figure something out.

Also for anyone else looking for a good price amazon has same price.
epicoled likes this.
post #5300 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any remote recommendations, can't stand this remote anymore.
post #5301 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Harmony....will work perfectly. I have the Elite.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #5302 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 02:42 PM

Harmony elite is the only way to go!
post #5303 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Same here, I am pretty sure it is a Disney+ bug.

I am sure it is too. It is very buggy. On Roku Ultra, it cannot remember which Episode of Mandalorian I was watching, so annoying. There's only two episodes...Disney..............how difficult can it be?
In The Bay likes this.

Last edited by epicoled; 11-17-2019 at 03:13 PM.
post #5304 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 03:12 PM

Just found this on slickdeals front page, Nakamichi black friday deals.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13568986-na...?src=frontpage

Also found this hater in the comments section, doesn't sound like his settings are correct, perhaps still on the pre-atmos firmware, honestly, a bit offended saying us owners are impressed with the "surround" noises and doesn't know anything about audio quality
eqzitara ( 34 eqzitara is finding his bearings ) Nov. 17, 2019 at 1:54pm
Quote from SplendidStep9957 :
A $1000 Soundbar can never be a full discreet system. This is a good middle point between a high end soundbar and a middle ground full-discreet system with a receiver. I don't see how having just a soundbar can compete with two full size subwoofers and surround drivers.
Because people are impressed with the "surround" noises. But they are sacrificing the Center/front speakers. The "soundbar" part of it is like ridiciulously skinny and it in fact has 5 speakers in it. This might be good to someone upgrading from like a $200 soundbar but vocals/front speakers are god awful.

eqzitara ( 34 eqzitara is finding his bearings ) Nov. 17, 2019 at 11:10am
Quote from rajnirdiv :
I just got 9.2.4 for my home which has 17" high ceiling...I know atmos doesn't work mostly with that height but i am just looking to set up an audio system first time at my home with in a budget to improve movie watching experience and hope this serves the purpose !!! Else i can return it anyway !!
Atmos doesn't work at all. Your situation is bad for bounce speakers but.. Its got no BOUNCE speakers. There is just 1 speaker in each of those. Its "simulated" like its something to do with pitches and timings... or whatever.
Like if you listen to a demo reel. If its playing just overhead noise. You can kind of tell but if your speakers need to output anyother sound it loses the effect. Its pretty bad. Meaning you can kind of here it in a demo reel - in any real world test it will fail.

If you want atmos speakers - you can use ELEVATED speakers[or normal speakers on a tilt mount] on the side or front/rear walls. You mount them like X feet on walls so they face the couch.

Of course, that means you need to use a receiver, and distinct speakers but... bounce speakers are never ideal and with 17" high ceiling you wont get results.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1...5902240338
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/0TdpCsgUFO...efault.jpg

eqzitara ( 34 eqzitara is finding his bearings ) Nov. 17, 2019 at 11:35am
Quote from jefflam79 :
If you have to have a self powered sound bar this is about as good as they get. Still no match for a full AVR and larger speaker set up though. But a full system is much larger and more expensive so pick what is best for your room, budget, sound goals.
No man. Its really not. Even ignoring that it doesnt actually output atmos.
Its not a good sound bar. Its a good rear/ surround/ subwoofers. The soundbar part is awful. Its like a $200-$300 soundbar but 80% of the audio's "importance" comes out of front/center. Audio is actually more distinct coming from rears/surrounds.

I would recommend a $1000 soundbar [especially if you can upgrade it] any day of the week over this $1000 + 7 piece set. "More sounds" is not better then "quality sound."
In The Bay likes this.
post #5305 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 70
There are a lot of "A/V Snobs" out there. I've gotten snide comments on my Vizio M-50 and my Naka...a lot of "well, if you'd just spend an extra $1000, you could have a real TV/sound system" stuff. Well, that extra $1000 is going to my kids education and my retirement, so I've made the choice that fit my budget and life best.

bjorge and In The Bay like this.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #5306 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any recommendations on remotes that don't cost 250 dollars.
post #5307 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickshade View Post
Any recommendations on remotes that don't cost 250 dollars.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915-...tronics&sr=1-7
post #5308 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Anyone recommend a streaming device that is best to produce Atmos sound? My Xbox one only does 5.1 on apps.

Get a good stand alone 4k player. Sony x800 is good. I had issues with the x700 with audio drop outs, they just released the x800m not long ago. I have the Panasonic ub820 which isn't great for streaming, no Vudu, but it does have Netflix with Atmos...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #5309 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:

2019 Nvidia Shield. To me it’s hands down best streaming player. DV/DA with Netflix, Prime and Vudu.
Disney + will be updated to Atmos soon.
post #5310 of 5508 Old 11-17-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
2019 Nvidia Shield. To me it’s hands down best streaming player. DV/DA with Netflix, Prime and Vudu.
Disney + will be updated to Atmos soon.
Yup, agreed. So far, I LOVED Apple TV - but read my posts in the last 2 or 3 pages on why I am using more of Shield 2019 than ATV 4K. I would not recommend 2017 Shield however if great picture quality is also important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar