Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 178 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1343Likes

post #5311 of 5472 Old 11-17-2019, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If I buy a shield, is it okay to stay with my older (no arc, 1080p) 65 inch plasma tv from 2014 and still get Atmos on the Naka?
I believe the tv shouldn’t matter right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5472 Old 11-18-2019, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought the samsung 80r soundbar with my 80r TV, but I'm thinking about switching over.

Can anyone tell me if I would be able to control the sound using the tv remote? I guess there is no phone app or alexa compatible?
post #5313 of 5472 Old 11-18-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit9 View Post
If I buy a shield, is it okay to stay with my older (no arc, 1080p) 65 inch plasma tv from 2014 and still get Atmos on the Naka?
I believe the tv shouldn’t matter right?

Yes.
The Shield has several different settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5314 of 5472 Old 11-18-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
Yes.
The Shield has several different settings.

Great. That also goes for Xbox one and ATV running through the Naka soundbar to a non arc old tv right? Tv doesn’t matter right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5315 of 5472 Old 11-18-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit9 View Post
Great. That also goes for Xbox one and ATV running through the Naka soundbar to a non arc old tv right? Tv doesn’t matter right?

I would think so.

I use Nakamichi connected to the non-ARC input of my Samsung 8K TV (as I never use apps on my TV) - and I don't have any issues with Shield, ATV or Xbox One.

Apple TV 4K though is finicky in terms of HDMI cables, but Shield I have not seen any issues.
post #5316 of 5472 Old 11-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Trying to decide between ATV4K or the new Shield for my Sony 77" OLED and 9.2
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
post #5317 of 5472 Old 11-18-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
Trying to decide between ATV4K or the new Shield for my Sony 77" OLED and 9.2
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Question:

- Do you use Plex and have a large on-disk library of ripped shows/movies?
post #5318 of 5472 Old 11-18-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post
Question:

- Do you use Plex and have a large on-disk library of ripped shows/movies?
Actually I do not, just mostly stream Netflix, Vudu and Disney Plus.
However, I heard the AI improves picture quality.
post #5319 of 5472 Old 11-18-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Actually I do not, just mostly stream Netflix, Vudu and Disney Plus.
However, I heard the AI improves picture quality.
My choice is still evolving, so take it with a pinch of salt.

1. 4K upscaling - Shield offers three kinds of upscaling.

a. Basic - sucks
b. AI Enhanced - I like this at times and hate it other times. After using this for a while, I found that it oversharpened the image. A friend who dropped by told me my TV looks bad. So, this is a hit or a miss IMO. My Samsung does a great job at AI upscaling, so several folks on this forum and on Reddit recommend to leave the upscaling to the TV.
c. Enhanced - this is the setting that works best for me. Seems to be pretty much same as the 4K upscaling that Apple TV already does

2. Disney+ App so far does not support Atmos on Shield (I assume it will at some point)

3. Last week, I wrote about how sound is so much better on Shield - it packs a better punch, explosions are more explosive and so on. After using Shield for the last week, I find that dialog/central channel is kinda muffled and other channels are louder. When watching Hulu or some videos on Youtube, ATV sounds clearer.

So, eventually, I've come back to using ATV more than Shield.

4. Plex vs Infuse

Plex on Shield does passthrough for Atmos, whereas ATV does not allow it, so Infuse will decode it to 7.1 - which still sounds great. IMO, Infuse works better and looks better than Plex on Shield.

Both are great and have their strengths, but for my streaming use, I've come back to ATV 4K again.
post #5320 of 5472 Old 11-18-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
My choice is still evolving, so take it with a pinch of salt.

1. 4K upscaling - Shield offers three kinds of upscaling.

a. Basic - sucks
b. AI Enhanced - I like this at times and hate it other times. After using this for a while, I found that it oversharpened the image. A friend who dropped by told me my TV looks bad. So, this is a hit or a miss IMO. My Samsung does a great job at AI upscaling, so several folks on this forum and on Reddit recommend to leave the upscaling to the TV.
c. Enhanced - this is the setting that works best for me. Seems to be pretty much same as the 4K upscaling that Apple TV already does

2. Disney+ App so far does not support Atmos on Shield (I assume it will at some point)

3. Last week, I wrote about how sound is so much better on Shield - it packs a better punch, explosions are more explosive and so on. After using Shield for the last week, I find that dialog/central channel is kinda muffled and other channels are louder. When watching Hulu or some videos on Youtube, ATV sounds clearer.

So, eventually, I've come back to using ATV more than Shield.

4. Plex vs Infuse

Plex on Shield does passthrough for Atmos, whereas ATV does not allow it, so Infuse will decode it to 7.1 - which still sounds great. IMO, Infuse works better and looks better than Plex on Shield.

Both are great and have their strengths, but for my streaming use, I've come back to ATV 4K again.
If you have a good tv, and I would qualify the samsung q900r as good, I would not use the upscailing on the sheild, the tv will upscail everything to match the screen resolution. I doubt the upscaling on the sheild is the same quality as your 8k tv. I never use any kind of upscaling with my Sony z9d. I let the tv take care of it because it does a better job
DavAbq and In The Bay like this.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #5321 of 5472 Old 11-18-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
If you have a good tv, and I would qualify the samsung q900r as good, I would not use the upscailing on the sheild, the tv will upscail everything to match the screen resolution. I doubt the upscaling on the sheild is the same quality as your 8k tv. I never use any kind of upscaling with my Sony z9d. I let the tv take care of it because it does a better job
Agreed. After the initial excitement of AI upscaling is done with, I think ATV looks more natural and better.
DavAbq likes this.
post #5322 of 5472 Old 11-18-2019, 10:01 PM

Did some additional research and found this. Thought I share with everyone
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/compare/
post #5323 of 5472 Old 11-18-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Did some additional research and found this. Thought I share with everyone
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/compare/
That chart shows Atmos support for Disney+ on Shield. At least currently, it does not work on Shield.
post #5324 of 5472 Old 11-19-2019, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do I have clearance?

I am interested in purchasing this sound bar for Dolby Atmos. The only space I have is a small shelf above the TV that has 4.5 inches of clearance. The soundbar will fit, but do the speakers that fire off the ceiling/walls for the atmos effect have enough clearance if I place the soundbar at the edge of the shelf?

I have a dedicate 5.1 set up with in ceiling surrounds, so the soundbar would mainly be used for regular TV watching, and when streaming shows/films with atmos.
post #5325 of 5472 Old 11-19-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLaLakers View Post
I am interested in purchasing this sound bar for Dolby Atmos. The only space I have is a small shelf above the TV that has 4.5 inches of clearance. The soundbar will fit, but do the speakers that fire off the ceiling/walls for the atmos effect have enough clearance if I place the soundbar at the edge of the shelf?

I have a dedicate 5.1 set up with in ceiling surrounds, so the soundbar would mainly be used for regular TV watching, and when streaming shows/films with atmos.
I wouldn't put it above the tv. The sound isn't going to sound right because it will be firing over your head. Also the Nakamichi doesn't have upward firing speakers to bounce off the ceiling. Nakamichi uses software to simulate height effects and it is done really well and quite convincing. But over the tv would be a no go for me. I'd stick with your current setup if that's the only option.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5326 of 5472 Old 11-19-2019, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Disappointed in Nakamichi

I had very high hopes for Nakamichi. A few months ago I bought the Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.2 and at first I was very happy and even blown away with it. However, a few weeks ago I started to have issues with the subwoofers with noise. I contacted Nakamichi support and it took days for even a response. The response was the typical do a reset, and handshake the HDMI devices. Of course, that didn't work. I did my own troubleshooting and noticed that when all my devices are hooked up to the TV instead of the soundbar, the sound from the subs goes away. So it's definitely something with the soundbar. I contacted Alberto again at Nakamichi and now I haven't heard anything for a lot of days now. I'm just very disappointed in Nakamichi for their support of this matter. Now I know most people would say, then just keep it plugged into the TV, but the problem is, then I can't do Dolby Atmos which is one of the reasons I loved this soundbar.

I still love the soundbar, just very disappointed in their support system. No answers just told to do resets, and then go days without hearing anything even though I was told I would hear back. This system really does sound incredible and has a ton of nice features, but I don't know what else to do to get this resolved.

post #5327 of 5472 Old 11-19-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellBoundSinner View Post
I had very high hopes for Nakamichi. A few months ago I bought the Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.2 and at first I was very happy and even blown away with it. However, a few weeks ago I started to have issues with the subwoofers with noise. I contacted Nakamichi support and it took days for even a response. The response was the typical do a reset, and handshake the HDMI devices. Of course, that didn't work. I did my own troubleshooting and noticed that when all my devices are hooked up to the TV instead of the soundbar, the sound from the subs goes away. So it's definitely something with the soundbar. I contacted Alberto again at Nakamichi and now I haven't heard anything for a lot of days now. I'm just very disappointed in Nakamichi for their support of this matter. Now I know most people would say, then just keep it plugged into the TV, but the problem is, then I can't do Dolby Atmos which is one of the reasons I loved this soundbar.

I still love the soundbar, just very disappointed in their support system. No answers just told to do resets, and then go days without hearing anything even though I was told I would hear back. This system really does sound incredible and has a ton of nice features, but I don't know what else to do to get this resolved.

https://youtu.be/EkCmST58zTc
Have you tried downgrading the firmware and then reinstalling the current firmware?

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5328 of 5472 Old 11-19-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Have you tried downgrading the firmware and then reinstalling the current firmware?
How do I get the 3.2 firmware? I'll try downgrading and checking the subs. If they work, then I will just stick with the 3.2 update.
post #5329 of 5472 Old 11-19-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellBoundSinner View Post
How do I get the 3.2 firmware? I'll try downgrading and checking the subs. If they work, then I will just stick with the 3.2 update.
I think the firmware packages are on the Nakamichi website. I never had 3.2, only 2.1.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5330 of 5472 Old 11-19-2019, 08:16 PM

What’s with the firmware changes. I’ve seen this on old posts where people downgrade their firmware here. Should the most update be best? Strange...

post #5331 of 5472 Old 11-20-2019, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Ok, I tried the below

App: Vudu
Movie: Man of Steel
Scene: The one where little Clark Kent gets scared at the school and hides in a closet and his teacher bangs the door
Nakamichi Volume: 20

1. Apple TV 4K with Atmos turned on

Sounded ok

2. Apple TV 4K with Atmos turned off

Naka display showed PCM-MC and it sounded better than Atmos. The punch and bass were better. However, the spatial/height effects were better with Atmos turned on. That said, overall, sounded much better with Atmos turned off

3. Nvidia Shield 2019 with Atmos

Sounded amazing. Sounded way louder than ATV (at the same volume) and the difference was noticeable. Especially when the teacher bangs the door, every bang shook me.

Clearly, ATV is not doing something right.
The thing is I'm also getting the same experience when watching a UHD blu ray. I just tried it now with Avengers Endgame and switched between Atmos and LPCM with volume at 20 and LPCM was much louder, had better bass, and sounded overall better. I don't know, maybe that's the way Atmos is supposed to sound?
In The Bay likes this.
post #5332 of 5472 Old 11-20-2019, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
A couple of months ago I bought the Sennheiser Atmos soundbar. Sounds awesome however I do miss the distinct rear surrounds.
Has anyone here had experience with both the Sennheiser and the Nakamichi?
Thoughts?
post #5333 of 5472 Old 11-20-2019, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wanted to ask for some advice since I ordered the Nakamichi 7.1 soundbar system yesterday for my bedroom and realized there might be a potential issue with how it fits in my space.
Basically there is a small closet in the room and the left side of the TV is almost up against the wall of it (shown in red in crappy MS paint diagram below). Now this does not cause any issues with the viewing angle, but after realizing the Nakamichi soundbar is 45" long, it means one end of it is at most 6 inches from the wall.
How much would it affect the sound from the side/elevation tweeter, and would getting a physically smaller soundbar be better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soundbar layout.png
Views:	26
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	2643500  
post #5334 of 5472 Old 11-20-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5370H55V View Post
I wanted to ask for some advice since I ordered the Nakamichi 7.1 soundbar system yesterday for my bedroom and realized there might be a potential issue with how it fits in my space.
Basically there is a small closet in the room and the left side of the TV is almost up against the wall of it (shown in red in crappy MS paint diagram below). Now this does not cause any issues with the viewing angle, but after realizing the Nakamichi soundbar is 45" long, it means one end of it is at most 6 inches from the wall.
How much would it affect the sound from the side/elevation tweeter, and would getting a physically smaller soundbar be better?

I don't think it will be a issue. It is just a small speaker on the side that reflects sound off the side wall.
post #5335 of 5472 Old 11-20-2019, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there anyone here living in the Atlanta area that would be willing to allow me to come over to listen to the system? I'm on the fence and would love to listen to it first before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!
post #5336 of 5472 Old 11-20-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Spoke with Alberto today and confirmed the Nakamichi is not capable of Atmos over ARC. So the only way to get Atmos is through external devices plugged directly into the sound bar. This means that the tv's streaming apps will not do atmos over ARC.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #5337 of 5472 Old 11-20-2019, 08:24 PM

Hello, wanted to verify, didn't see this answer in my search.

If I got the 9.2.4 system, is it possible to just use 1 sub and 1 set of speakers for now?
And have everything else work as normal.

Have to rearrange some things to use them all and Will eventually use them all.
post #5338 of 5472 Old 11-21-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkcc1 View Post
Hello, wanted to verify, didn't see this answer in my search.

If I got the 9.2.4 system, is it possible to just use 1 sub and 1 set of speakers for now?

And have everything else work as normal.

Have to rearrange some things to use them all and Will eventually use them all.

It is possible, but you will be missing one side of the surround experience. Each subwoofer is specific to both the Surround and Back plugged into it. Therefore, if you use the Left subwoofer, you will only be able to plug in your Left Surround and Left Back/Rear.
post #5339 of 5472 Old 11-21-2019, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Guy View Post
A couple of months ago I bought the Sennheiser Atmos soundbar. Sounds awesome however I do miss the distinct rear surrounds.
Has anyone here had experience with both the Sennheiser and the Nakamichi?
Thoughts?
No one with experience with both setups?
post #5340 of 5472 Old 11-21-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoitikos View Post
It is possible, but you will be missing one side of the surround experience. Each subwoofer is specific to both the Surround and Back plugged into it. Therefore, if you use the Left subwoofer, you will only be able to plug in your Left Surround and Left Back/Rear.
Ah, gotcha, that makes total sense. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page