Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 184 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1365Likes

post #5491 of 5653 Old 12-11-2019, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Neat View Post
I think going forward when I can grab a 77" 2020 LG OLED to replace the 65" LG E7 OLED, I'll hook up my game systems directly to the tv for VRR. I play with headsets anyway.

What's ALM, Application lifecycle management?
I meant ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) - i think the only game that supports this atm is The Division 2
I have a 77 LG C9 in my lounge and at 65 C9 which i'll be hooking the Naka up to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5653 Old 12-11-2019, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Does the samsung pass through Dolby Vision?
I had the q70r and it did. They don't advertise it anywhere, which is weird.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #5493 of 5653 Old 12-11-2019, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Complicated

Quote:
Does the samsung pass through Dolby Vision?
While Samsung is mum on this and only advertise HDR10, owners are reporting Dolby Vision pass through from certain devices like Xbox and Apple Tvs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5494 of 5653 Old 12-11-2019, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Maelstrom View Post
I meant ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) - i think the only game that supports this atm is The Division 2
I have a 77 LG C9 in my lounge and at 65 C9 which i'll be hooking the Naka up to.
If I'm not mistaken, auto low latency mode is when the Xbox tells the tv it's playing a game so it can automatically change to Game Mode settings. So it shouldn't be game specific.

I still have my X1X connected directly to my Samsung to also take advantage of 120hz. It reduces latency pretty well, but does also remove HDR. And since not many games take advantage of Dolby Atmos, not really worth it to lose the fidelity and low latency for the sound.
post #5495 of 5653 Old 12-11-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimaster5577 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, auto low latency mode is when the Xbox tells the tv it's playing a game so it can automatically change to Game Mode settings. So it shouldn't be game specific.

I still have my X1X connected directly to my Samsung to also take advantage of 120hz. It reduces latency pretty well, but does also remove HDR. And since not many games take advantage of Dolby Atmos, not really worth it to lose the fidelity and low latency for the sound.
Yeah, I think all games get that.

Also, I'm leaning towards gaming devices going through the tv since 95% of my gaming audio is through headset. It is unfortunate though.
post #5496 of 5653 Old 12-11-2019, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
And what speaker stands are you all using?
Perlesmith adjustable height stands. $40 per pair on Amazon. Make sure you receive the 2019 version which has much bigger cutouts to feed the wires through. It's a solid stand, no complaints. I believe the base comes in 2 different styles.
post #5497 of 5653 Old 12-11-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Perlesmith adjustable height stands. $40 per pair on Amazon. Make sure you receive the 2019 version which has much bigger cutouts to feed the wires through. It's a solid stand, no complaints. I believe the base comes in 2 different styles.
I'm using the exact same stands from Amazon. These work perfectly in hybrid mode. If you mount them vertically they are not perfectly balanced and will have a tendency to lean to one side. If there's a different way to mount them vertically and get them to balance properly please let me know. It may be user error on my part.

I got the new version with the larger holes of the speaker cable. It works great!
post #5498 of 5653 Old 12-11-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Yeah, I think all games get that.

Also, I'm leaning towards gaming devices going through the tv since 95% of my gaming audio is through headset. It is unfortunate though.
Why spend the money on either setup if 95% of your audio is going through a headset?

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #5499 of 5653 Old 12-12-2019, 06:48 AM

Wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Are the 2019s the ones with the Tempered Glass Base? Also because I have the 7.2.4 model, I would be side mounting the rear speakers so is this possible on these?
post #5500 of 5653 Old 12-12-2019, 06:51 AM

Hold on...

Quote:
Why spend the money on either setup if 95% of your audio is going through a headset?
The 95% usage is concerning my Xb1X/PS4 Pro usage, since I'm playing competitive modes (communication etc) or I don't want to annoy or be annoyed by family.
post #5501 of 5653 Old 12-12-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Are the 2019s the ones with the Tempered Glass Base? Also because I have the 7.2.4 model, I would be side mounting the rear speakers so is this possible on these?
The base is cast iron. Side mounting works perfectly.
post #5502 of 5653 Old 12-13-2019, 09:20 AM

Don't forget!

Quote:
My Naka arrives Friday and I'll probably get it setup over the weekend, as for the Q90R. Absolutely love it, I was going to go with the same in the gamesroom but fancied something different.
I did reach out to Naka - no eARC and no plans to implement in the future - that's a bummer but not a show stopper atm
Don't forget, I'm at the edge of my seat waiting for your review/comparison.
I'll be visiting BestBuy for a test run on the Sammy Q90R in their Magnolia room. I have to make up my mind asap.
post #5503 of 5653 Old 12-13-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Don't forget, I'm at the edge of my seat waiting for your review/comparison.
I'll be visiting BestBuy for a test run on the Sammy Q90R in their Magnolia room. I have to make up my mind asap.
It arrived a few hours ago - I'll do the install tonight or tomorrow morning and will definitely post the results.
Initially I am going to plug my Shield, PS4 Pro and Xb1X into the bar - once the PCM issue is fixed on my C9 then i'll switch the consoles over.
post #5504 of 5653 Old 12-13-2019, 02:19 PM

Oh yeah!

Quote:
It arrived a few hours ago - I'll do the install tonight or tomorrow morning and will definitely post the results.
Initially I am going to plug my Shield, PS4 Pro and Xb1X into the bar - once the PCM issue is fixed on my C9 then i'll switch the consoles over.
I'm super hyped.
post #5505 of 5653 Old 12-14-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I believe RTING soundbar review is not fair - especially on Nakamichi 9.2.4

I am sorry, I cannot post the RTING link since "To be able to post links or images your post count must be 5 or greater."

Let me admit that I am not an audiophile technical expert – but I tested both (NAKA & flagship Vizio “SB46514-F6”) systems over two weeks. Vizio is a great system, and I appreciate their efforts in changing the soundbar landscape. BUT comparing a TANK system with Toys. I am grateful for RTINGS efforts in comparing – BUT they need to go back to the drawing board on your unfair rating system. What Nakamichi did and stand behind (especially customer focus in today’s commoditized world) should be appreciated. I don’t think any of those systems you compared against (except Q90R) is a Dolby TrueHD system (7.1 surround). Mostly 3.0 system. Vs. NAKAMICHI has 3 Dolby TrueHD inputs. If I am right, None of your other systems are Dolby Vision capable.
Please Compare:
• The Owner review Rating. Amazon (NAKA 4.8 vs ~ Vizio 3.5), Best Buy (NAKA 4.9 vs ~ Vizio 4.1)
• This is a 1000Watt system – I am not sure any of your comparisons are even half wattage
• It comes with two MASSIVE 10” Subwoofer – I don’t think any of the other systems you compared single subwoofer systems are anywhere this size.
• It comes with 4 decent sized satellite rear speakers. None of your other comparisons are anyway comparable
NAKAMICHI happened to have a soundbar in the front - I am not sure it is fair to put them under the typical soundbar systems. It is a state of the art audio System (including receiver capabilities), which I can afford (vs. I need to spend ~10K for a custom one) and the company which stands behind it with an amazing customer focus.

My complaint is if you want to test/Compare a Cadillac Escalade, don’t compare on the mileage against the Prius. Compare it again another V8 luxury SUV of its caliber (test it as off-road Sport Utility Vehicle (not as a car))
post #5506 of 5653 Old 12-14-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmadapatu View Post
I believe RTING soundbar review is not fair - especially on Nakamichi 9.2.4

Here is my rebuttal:
https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/disc...zio-sb36512-f6
Here is the RTING review: https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/revi...fe-ultra-9-2ch

Let me admit that I am not an audiophile technical expert – but I tested both (NAKA & flagship Vizio “SB46514-F6”) systems over two weeks. Vizio is a great system, and I appreciate their efforts in changing the soundbar landscape. BUT comparing a TANK system with Toys. I am grateful for RTINGS efforts in comparing – BUT they need to go back to the drawing board on your unfair rating system. What Nakamichi did and stand behind (especially customer focus in today’s commoditized world) should be appreciated. I don’t think any of those systems you compared against (except Q90R) is a Dolby TrueHD system (7.1 surround). Mostly 3.0 system. Vs. NAKAMICHI has 3 Dolby TrueHD inputs. If I am right, None of your other systems are Dolby Vision capable.
Please Compare:
• The Owner review Rating. Amazon (NAKA 4.8 vs ~ Vizio 3.5), Best Buy (NAKA 4.9 vs ~ Vizio 4.1)
• This is a 1000Watt system – I am not sure any of your comparisons are even half wattage
• It comes with two MASSIVE 10” Subwoofer – I don’t think any of the other systems you compared single subwoofer systems are anywhere this size.
• It comes with 4 decent sized satellite rear speakers. None of your other comparisons are anyway comparable
NAKAMICHI happened to have a soundbar in the front - I am not sure it is fair to put them under the typical soundbar systems. It is a state of the art audio System (including receiver capabilities), which I can afford (vs. I need to spend ~10K for a custom one) and the company which stands behind it with an amazing customer focus.

My complaint is if you want to test/Compare a Cadillac Escalade, don’t compare on the mileage against the Prius. Compare it again another V8 luxury SUV of its caliber (test it as off-road Sport Utility Vehicle (not as a car))
Here is my rebuttal:
https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/disc...zio-sb36512-f6
Here is the RTING review: https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/revi...fe-ultra-9-2ch

Last edited by skmadapatu; 12-14-2019 at 02:04 PM.
post #5507 of 5653 Old 12-14-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmadapatu View Post
LOL...rtings gave the Nakamichi a 7.2 and the vizio a 7.8..GTF out of here...Look man, I'm not a brand fan boy...but I have compared my 7.1 setup to a friends receiver with atmos speakers setup and the 7.1 sounded pretty freaking awesome. his setup was better but he spent $5k...I upgraded from the top of the line Vizio 5.1.2 surround sound system from 2017 to the Nakamichi 7.1 and the difference was night and day. The tiny little satelite speakers you get with the vizio are a freaking joke.

I am convinced that rtings has been compromised and are now taking money from manufacturers...What a joke...I do agree that the Naka doesn't do amazing with music, but they gave it a 7.4 for movies and the vizio a 7.8...Yeah F$#@%&G right...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #5508 of 5653 Old 12-14-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
LOL...rtings gave the Nakamichi a 7.2 and the vizio a 7.8..GTF out of here...Look man, I'm not a brand fan boy...but I have compared my 7.1 setup to a friends receiver with atmos speakers setup and the 7.1 sounded pretty freaking awesome. his setup was better but he spent $5k...I upgraded from the top of the line Vizio 5.1.2 surround sound system from 2017 to the Nakamichi 7.1 and the difference was night and day. The tiny little satelite speakers you get with the vizio are a freaking joke.

I am convinced that rtings has been compromised and are now taking money from manufacturers...What a joke...I do agree that the Naka doesn't do amazing with music, but they gave it a 7.4 for movies and the vizio a 7.8...Yeah F$#@%&G right...
Appreciate your kind reply at RTING too. Vizio is an excellent 5.1.4 single subwoofer system.

But comparing on stereo capabilities of 9.2.4 system is ridiculous - they need to go back to the drawing board on their rating methodology for Dolby TrueHD systems with 7.1.2 capabilities.

YES, they need to make their living too from advertising and other avenues too - but they shouldn't make fool out of themselves when they do the comparison between and Escalade & Prius
post #5509 of 5653 Old 12-15-2019, 03:36 PM

So - I've had this installed a little over 24 hours and haven't really sat down to listen as much as I would like but have played some of my go to titles as well as the Demo Atmos disc that comes with it.
Here are some of my initial feedback:
  • Pro's:
    Surround effects are amazing
    Subs are impressive
    Center channel is also very impressive, dialogue does not get lost
    It's a good looking bar
    Remote works well (based on the previous model having issues)

Cons:
    HDMI switching seems to take forever, that is changing from one input to the next
    No OSD
    No wired or wireless networking
    Weird handshake issue with my Shield from time to time
    Sub volume is just to reduce the volume of them - not the overall effect

Overall I'm pretty impressed, separation is great and it truly does sound like a 9.2.4 system, even my 14 year old was impressed and just sat there saying 'WOW' (quite a reaction from a teenager). The subs are impressive and pack a lot of punch, but weirdly they sometimes seem absent, it would be great to be able to set a cross-over setting below 110Hz
Now for the comparison to my Samsung Q90R - The Nakamichi definitely wins on the overall surround soundstage, no question. But for me, the Samsung just seems to have a 'warmer' sound - the Nakamichi sounds a bit less warm and sounds like there's too much treble, especially on the center channel. When the subs are in play with the Nakamichi it sounds great, but the Samsung one seems to be more of a constant, which i think adds to that 'warmer' sound.
My ideal setup would be to have the Samsung bar and then the Nakamichi rears so that i would be a 9.1.4 system.
I'm not saying it's bad, it absolutely isn't - it's an incredibly impressive system, but for me, the Samsung just sounds better and more in-line with what i like.
I'm also aware that I've had my Samsung for over 6 months and it's broken in - I'm hoping that the Nakamichi becomes a little less 'harsh' when broken in, hopefully on the center channel.
*EDIT* - just played the opening to Blade Runner 2049 - Amazing, jaw dropping sound, not regretting this purchase at all
John V. and In The Bay like this.

Last edited by Mad-Maelstrom; 12-15-2019 at 07:25 PM.
post #5510 of 5653 Old 12-15-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I'm super hyped.
Hopefully what I've said helps
post #5511 of 5653 Old 12-15-2019, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
So - I've had this installed a little over 24 hours and haven't really sat down to listen as much as I would like but have played some of my go to titles as well as the Demo Atmos disc that comes with it.
Here are some of my initial feedback:
  • Pro's:
    Surround effects are amazing
    Subs are impressive
    Center channel is also very impressive, dialogue does not get lost
    It's a good looking bar
    Remote works well (based on the previous model having issues)

Cons:
    HDMI switching seems to take forever, that is changing from one input to the next
    No OSD
    No wired or wireless networking
    Weird handshake issue with my Shield from time to time
    Sub volume is just to reduce the volume of them - not the overall effect

Overall I'm pretty impressed, separation is great and it truly does sound like a 9.2.4 system, even my 14 year old was impressed and just sat there saying 'WOW' (quite a reaction from a teenager). The subs are impressive and pack a lot of punch, but weirdly they sometimes seem absent, it would be great to be able to set a cross-over setting below 110Hz
Now for the comparison to my Samsung Q90R - The Nakamichi definitely wins on the overall surround soundstage, no question. But for me, the Samsung just seems to have a 'warmer' sound - the Nakamichi sounds a bit less warm and sounds like there's too much treble, especially on the center channel. When the subs are in play with the Nakamichi it sounds great, but the Samsung one seems to be more of a constant, which i think adds to that 'warmer' sound.
My ideal setup would be to have the Samsung bar and then the Nakamichi rears so that i would be a 9.1.4 system.
I'm not saying it's bad, it absolutely isn't - it's an incredibly impressive system, but for me, the Samsung just sounds better and more in-line with what i like.
I'm also aware that I've had my Samsung for over 6 months and it's broken in - I'm hoping that the Nakamichi becomes a little less 'harsh' when broken in, hopefully on the center channel.
*EDIT* - just played the opening to Blade Runner 2049 - Amazing, jaw dropping sound, not regretting this purchase at all
I have both the bars, and agree with your review! How do you find the Atmos between the two? I sometimes* feel Samsung simulates the height effects better - for example, the scene in the Haunting of Hill House in Netflix - where the demons are tapping to doors - Samsung sounds more enveloping than Nakamichi. Mad Max, on the other hand, sounds better on Nakamichi. Probably because Nakamichi "simulates" height effects while Samsung has upfiring drivers. Nakamichi seems to acknowledge that "simulation" is close to the real thing, but not the whole deal - and their 2020 summer models are expected to have actual upfiring drivers (more in number than Samsung says the rumour).
post #5512 of 5653 Old 12-15-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post

I have both the bars, and agree with your review! How do you find the Atmos between the two? I sometimes* feel Samsung simulates the height effects better - for example, the scene in the Haunting of Hill House in Netflix - where the demons are tapping to doors - Samsung sounds more enveloping than Nakamichi. Mad Max, on the other hand, sounds better on Nakamichi. Probably because Nakamichi "simulates" height effects while Samsung has upfiring drivers. Nakamichi seems to acknowledge that "simulation" is close to the real thing, but not the whole deal - and their 2020 summer models are expected to have actual upfiring drivers (more in number than Samsung says the rumour).
Which one would you keep for movies?
post #5513 of 5653 Old 12-16-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick777 View Post
Tough question - but if it was just for movies I think the Nakamichi would be my choice
post #5514 of 5653 Old 12-16-2019, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick777 View Post
Nakamichi, for the distributed bass.
post #5515 of 5653 Old 12-16-2019, 07:33 AM

Wow! So conflicted...

Quote:
Tough question - but if it was just for movies I think the Nakamichi would be my choice
I read your review Mad. Thank you for that.

Now I don't even know. I previewed the Samsung Q90R at BestBuy and that didn't exactly move mountains.
They didn't have it set up right (sub was on the left behind some klipsch speakers for starters, rears were further than I would be using them in my "small" living room dimensions, and no atmos demo disk so it was hard to gauge the height effect. The Magnolia Room agent used Ready Player One for the first race/King Kong scene. It wasn't a horrible choice, but I had difficulty hearing the height effect which is what I'm missing IMO with the Nakamichi Elite 7.2.4s. Bass wasn't as punchy, but being on a rug probably isn't going to help.

Anyhow, I started a request for a return/refund with Nakamichi which will probably be knocked down anyhow since Amazon claimed it wouldn't take a return due to it being considered hazmat material. Regardless, I'm still feeling the height itch, but now I'm on the fence if you, and other more experienced owners, feel the Naka's sound better overall.

So conflicted. Do the Sammy's do Atmos' height effect well or it's whatever? Also, what are your settings on the Naka's?

Everyone else, please chime in.
post #5516 of 5653 Old 12-16-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I read your review Mad. Thank you for that.

Now I don't even know. I previewed the Samsung Q90R at BestBuy and that didn't exactly move mountains.
They didn't have it set up right (sub was on the left behind some klipsch speakers for starters, rears were further than I would be using them in my "small" living room dimensions, and no atmos demo disk so it was hard to gauge the height effect. The Magnolia Room agent used Ready Player One for the first race/King Kong scene. It wasn't a horrible choice, but I had difficulty hearing the height effect which is what I'm missing IMO with the Nakamichi Elite 7.2.4s. Bass wasn't as punchy, but being on a rug probably isn't going to help.

Anyhow, I started a request for a return/refund with Nakamichi which will probably be knocked down anyhow since Amazon claimed it wouldn't take a return due to it being considered hazmat material. Regardless, I'm still feeling the height itch, but now I'm on the fence if you, and other more experienced owners, feel the Naka's sound better overall.

So conflicted. Do the Sammy's do Atmos' height effect well or it's whatever? Also, what are your settings on the Naka's?

Everyone else, please chime in.
If you want the height effect you can mount the back surrounds to do that (page 10 of the manual if i recall) - as for the the Samsung, those do add the height pretty well, but i guess that depends on the height of the room (my lounge has a 12 foot ceiling)
post #5517 of 5653 Old 12-16-2019, 08:55 AM

Well...

Quote:
If you want the height effect you can mount the back surrounds to do that (page 10 of the manual if i recall) - as for the the Samsung, those do add the height pretty well, but i guess that depends on the height of the room (my lounge has a 12 foot ceiling)
Once I get speaker stands the rears will be on their side at the left and right sides of my couch, not behind They are currently sitting on the subs until I grab stands

As for the Q90R, that's what I had hoped for from Naka. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Naka's only processes Atmos/DTS-X & then try to simulate that feel but can't truly do height effects, right? The Sammy's on the other hand could or should because they actually have upward-firing drivers.

Anyhow, I'll probably stick with the Naka's since people swear by them sound wise to the Q90R. Maybe the followup to the Q90R will have all of pieces like e-ARC, 4 hdmi ports, two down-firing subs and specific controls for the rears. One can wish.

So finally, you truly believe the Naka's overall beat the Q90R and I should probably just stick with the Naka's for now? I know that's a lot to ask on, but I'm curious.

Last edited by Johnny Neat; 12-16-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Wording
post #5518 of 5653 Old 12-16-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Once I get speaker stands the rears will be on their side at the left and right sides of my couch, not behind They are currently sitting on the subs until I grab stands

As for the Q90R, that's what I had hoped for from Naka. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Naka's only processes Atmos/DTS-X & then try to simulate that feel but can't truly do height effects, right? The Sammy's on the other hand could or should because they actually have upward-firing drivers.

Anyhow, I'll probably stick with the Naka's since people swear by them sound wise to the Q90R. Maybe the followup to the Q90R will have all of pieces like e-ARC, 4 hdmi ports, two down-firing subs and specific controls for the rears. One can wish.

So finally, you truly believe the Naka's overall beat the Q90R and I should probably just stick with the Naka's for now? I know that's a lot to ask on, but I'm curious.
For me and where my Naka is it's perfect, it wouldn't work in my main lounge due to the layout of it - but if that wasn't a concern then i would still stick with the Naka over the Q90R - improved bass and much more involved surround is why.
post #5519 of 5653 Old 12-16-2019, 12:09 PM

I've had the 9.2.4 for a few weeks now and here are my thoughts now that I have it working 100% and some comments on the rtings review.

Pros:
  • Incredible bass response for a soundbar system. The dual subs are awesome.
  • Louder and clearer than the Vizio 5.1 system I have
  • Immersive and effective surround sound
  • 4 HDMI inputs

Cons:
  • Treble can be a little too much. I turn it down to 3 or 4 to balance things out.
  • Center sometimes gets overmatched by the surrounds even with CR+ turned up to 10 and Surrounds turned down to 1.
  • No On Screen Display to make setup easier
  • No automatic sound adjustment like some competitors
  • No EQ adjustment
  • Surround level not adjustable enough. I'd like to turn them down even more than level 1. I have CR+ turned up to 10.
  • No wifi connection

Overall I really like this system and consider it worth the Black Friday price. I appreciate having 4 surrounds instead of just 2. I do see room for improvement though. An adjustable EQ would probably make the biggest difference to address some of the criticism with its sound signature. I personally would like to be able to reduce the volume of the surrounds even further to have better balance with the soundbar.

In regards to the RTings review, I mostly agree with their assessment. I do not think their review was influenced by advertising dollars. Their methodology is meant to create reproducible and objective testing. Where I think I disagree with their rating system is how the various performance categories get weighted for the final score. The reason why the Nakamichi took a big hit had to do with its warmer sound signature, max volume performance, and stereo performance. I think that for movie watching max sound performance should not be a heavily weighted category. I rarely have the volume higher than 50 when watching movies. I also think surround sound performance should be weighted more heavily.

I think it's interesting that RTings says the Vizio is better for most people because of price, but didn't say the same when comparing it to the Q90R.

Looking at music performance and mixed usage performance I think the review is fair. The Nakamichi really needs an adjustable EQ.

So overall my thought on the RTing review is that their method for reviewing soundbars for movies is not as helpful because the surround sound performance seems to take a back seat to other criteria whereas it's a the forefront of what I look at when comparing systems. I also consider the dual subs a bigger deal than what their review suggests.

Overall settings:
  • CR+ - 10
  • Treble - 3 or 4
  • Surrounds - 1-3
  • Bass - 7
  • SSE - 3
  • Room - Small (based on the distance of my speakers to the seating area)
  • DSP - 0
  • Dolby Surround or Neural X
  • All surrounds speakers setup in hybrid mode laying on their sides

Layout:
rochoa21 and In The Bay like this.

Last edited by maverick777; 12-16-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #5520 of 5653 Old 12-16-2019, 01:09 PM

The other major con for me - no eARC and no plans to implement (although the LG implementation doesn't seem to be that great atm)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page