Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 188 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1368Likes

post #5611 of 5683 Old 01-04-2020, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAiLs00 View Post
Hey All!

I picked up the 7.2.4 system during the deep black Friday sale, and had to wait a month before I could hook it up. Ended up wanting to spend a little extra cash, since I didn't have a dedicated theatre room in my new home... yet. So I have this hooked up to my Vizio P75-F1 and I'm not having any luck. The audio is overall pretty bad, often times sound effects / music are drastically overpowering compared to dialogue, sound quality is poor period, I occasionally hear a very brief audio drop-out, bass is just not there, I think I hear the little subwoofer flapping noise that others have described... and most importantly, I cannot get Dolby Vision to work when my Apple TV 4K is connected to the soundbar. I have both 4K and 8K Monoprice cables, and neither let it work. I had DV working for about 3 minutes the first 3 minutes the soundbar was connected, but afterwards, it just constantly flickered black and got worse and worse and worse.

In my troubleshooting, I've connected my ATV directly to my TV, and Dolby Vision works perfect... but I lose Atmos (which is why I bought this). It cooperates with the ATV test immediately and has never once blacked out. Remember that I said I got it to work directly connected to the soundbar, but I can no longer get the soundbar to allow DV to pass through in the ATV tests. I even tried a setting that worked great on my AVR and ATV, and that was to turn the ATV to 4K SDR and then Match Content. When I did that with the AVR, the ATV would pass whatever proper HDR format through directly to the TV - I would see HDR 10 or Dolby Vision on my TV's info screen. Tried that very thing with the Nakamichi and it does not pass any HDR whatsoever. I have tried HDMI 2 and 3. I have noticed that the HDMI switch on the soundbar gets quite warm when the ATV is connected, but I haven't noticed this when I'm just using ARC (haven't checked yet).

For sound, I've got the SSE set to 3 and often times have to set the soundbar to "Natural" or whatever the non-processed sound is. With these, things become better, but not exactly what I expected from a very expensive soundbar.

I am on firmware 3.3, which is what was on the soundbar from the get-go. I've tried doing all the power cycling

Any tips are appreciated! Anything that I missed, let me know and I can help there, too!

Thanks!
Couple ideas.
1. Do the hard reset and HDMI refresh exactly how the Nakamichi website describes it. Don't skip any steps, do it vebatim and try again.
2. If that doesn't work you may have a defective HDMI ARC port on the soundbar. The first one I bought had a defective ARC input and Nakamichi replaced it. I had video for the first few minutes and then I couldn't get it back. Ended up talking with their tech support and after trying everything we determined the ARC port was defective. They sent a replacement with a return label for the old one. Been great ever since.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5683 Old 01-05-2020, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Couple ideas.
1. Do the hard reset and HDMI refresh exactly how the Nakamichi website describes it. Don't skip any steps, do it vebatim and try again.
2. If that doesn't work you may have a defective HDMI ARC port on the soundbar. The first one I bought had a defective ARC input and Nakamichi replaced it. I had video for the first few minutes and then I couldn't get it back. Ended up talking with their tech support and after trying everything we determined the ARC port was defective. They sent a replacement with a return label for the old one. Been great ever since.
Thanks for the feedback! I will give that a whirl in the morning and report back. Fingers crossed nothing is defective, but if their customer service is good about it, I'm not going to be too concerned.
post #5613 of 5683 Old 01-05-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Couple ideas.
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! I will give that a whirl in the morning and report back. Fingers crossed nothing is defective, but if their customer service is good about it, I'm not going to be too concerned.

Argh... sorry, adulting caught me today. Didn't get a chance to play with the soundbar. I am pretty sure I should be able to play around a bit after work tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5614 of 5683 Old 01-06-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Couple ideas.
Alright.... played around for a while tonight and unfortunately I have to report that I still have the same problem. It began quite promising, as I instantly could connect up with Dolby Vision on my Apple TV, but 5 minutes into watching Batman Begins, the video started flickering black... no audio cut out. I found one setting that got me massive sound from the subs, but everything still sounded very center heavy and really poor. Once I got back to the main ATV screen, video was fine again. I connected back to the TV directly and everything is totally fine, but I couldn't find the big subwoofer sounds. I'm guessing the better audio was produced with the ATV connected directly to the soundbar vs. the TV. So, in the end, I only have issues when connected to the soundbar.

I have my Nintendo Switch connected to HDMI 3 presently, and my wife was playing Just Dance with our daughter... subwoofers were popping like mad and driving her mad. I couldn't find any setting to get that to stop completely. It was tamed by going to Music mode, but still very present.

Nakamichi is appearing to be on my radar for my next steps.
post #5615 of 5683 Old 01-06-2020, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Alright.... played around for a while tonight and unfortunately I have to report that I still have the same problem. It began quite promising, as I instantly could connect up with Dolby Vision on my Apple TV, but 5 minutes into watching Batman Begins, the video started flickering black... no audio cut out. I found one setting that got me massive sound from the subs, but everything still sounded very center heavy and really poor. Once I got back to the main ATV screen, video was fine again. I connected back to the TV directly and everything is totally fine, but I couldn't find the big subwoofer sounds. I'm guessing the better audio was produced with the ATV connected directly to the soundbar vs. the TV. So, in the end, I only have issues when connected to the soundbar.

I have my Nintendo Switch connected to HDMI 3 presently, and my wife was playing Just Dance with our daughter... subwoofers were popping like mad and driving her mad. I couldn't find any setting to get that to stop completely. It was tamed by going to Music mode, but still very present.

Nakamichi is appearing to be on my radar for my next steps.
Sucks man. They'll get you taken care of. Just be persistent in emails.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #5616 of 5683 Old 01-07-2020, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Settings

Hey everyone,

So I'm still tweaking and untweaking sound settings to find the sweetest setup and was wondering again what your recommended settings are.

I'm in a medium sized room and will start using SS3 1 as Naka recommends to see how that goes. Did anyone change anything else like crossover frequency or clear voice etc?

Last edited by Johnny Neat; 01-09-2020 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Grammar
post #5617 of 5683 Old 01-08-2020, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can I ask what type of HDMI cable you guys are using? I bought an HDMI 2.0 per Nak's suggestion, but can't seem to get Netflix UHD content to work. Other apps work fine but Netflix has no answers for it. I'm wondering if 18 gbps is fast enough or if need to go higher. My media device is an Xbox One X flowing Dolby Atmos.

Thanks.
post #5618 of 5683 Old 01-08-2020, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay50 View Post
Can I ask what type of HDMI cable you guys are using? I bought an HDMI 2.0 per Nak's suggestion, but can't seem to get Netflix UHD content to work. Other apps work fine but Netflix has no answers for it. I'm wondering if 18 gbps is fast enough or if need to go higher. My media device is an Xbox One X flowing Dolby Atmos.

Thanks.
Does your netflix app crash when you try to watch dolby Atmos content?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #5619 of 5683 Old 01-08-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Never used a harmony remote so don't know for sure. Out of curiosity, why use optical over HDMI? The bandwidth is limited and you would not get as much out of the soundbar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
Does your netflix app crash when you try to watch dolby Atmos content?

Yes it does!
post #5620 of 5683 Old 01-08-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Neat View Post
Hey everyone,

So I'm still tweaking and untweaking sound settings to find the sweetest setup and was wondering again what your recommended settings are.

I'm in a medium sized room and will start using SS3 1 as Naka recommends to to see how that goes. Did anyone change anything else like crossover frequency or clear voice etc?
Yes, I don't like voices coming out of subs so I switched to 110. Got rid of voices but still has a little midrange coming in. It would be great if Nak could drop even more so you only have lows coming out of subs.
post #5621 of 5683 Old 01-08-2020, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Yes it does!
Try Uninstalling the dolby app and reinstalling it after doing a hard reset on the console. I was able to correct the issue by doing this and using the dolby app to setup the home theater output again. Check the official xbox one threadon this forum for more info. Good luck.

Last edited by Viscious82; 01-09-2020 at 06:22 AM.
post #5622 of 5683 Old 01-09-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, I don't like voices coming out of subs so I switched to 110. Got rid of voices but still has a little midrange coming in. It would be great if Nak could drop even more so you only have lows coming out of subs.
That drives me nuts, too. I've never heard a system throw general sound out of the subs, rather the subs are strictly for lows... just like the surrounds are for surround effects. I guess I'm spoiled with my [former] dedicated theatre system with a sweet PSA sub, but since I built a new house, I dropped a little extra coin on the Nakamichi 7.2.4 to supplement my needs for a couple years. I honestly just wanted to find a nice soundbar that I could connect my PSA sub to, but I couldn't find squat... guessing they don't exist or are unicorns.
post #5623 of 5683 Old 01-09-2020, 06:48 AM

Appreciate the share

Quote:
I thought I heard that a few times. But yes, I don't either! Glad to know 110 can do that. Thanks.
post #5624 of 5683 Old 01-09-2020, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just curious if anyone has first hand experience with these Nakamichi vs the Sony htz9f system? I’m mostly torn between these two systems. If I went nakamichi I could only do the one with the single bass speaker as I don’t have room for two. I have a Sony tv and I thought it might be nice to keep everything Sony, but it’s not an absolute must if the performance is a lot better on the Nakamichi. The plus for the Sony is the bass speaker can be kept up front where the Nakamichi you have to plug the rear surrounds into the bass speaker so id have to keep the bass speaker in the rear of my room, which is not ideal based on space and layout. Appreciate any input
post #5625 of 5683 Old 01-09-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Try Uninstalling the dolby app and reinstalling it after doing a hard reset on the console. I was able to correct the issue by doing this and using the dolby app to setup the home theater output again. Check the official xbox one threadon this forum for more info. Good luck.

Nope...didn't work. Uninstalled>cleared cache>reinstalled. Only 5.1 and others work - just not Ultra/Atmos. Getting aggravated. Wondering if I upgraded to HDMI 2.1 for higher gigabit throughput would help.
post #5626 of 5683 Old 01-09-2020, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Quote:

Nope...didn't work. Uninstalled>cleared cache>reinstalled. Only 5.1 and others work - just not Ultra/Atmos. Getting aggravated. Wondering if I upgraded to HDMI 2.1 for higher gigabit throughput would help.
I’ve been going round and round with this since late November. First few days of owning the 7.2, Atmos worked fine on Xbox apps. Since the late Nov Xbox update, Atmos only works on disks. Seems like it’s a recurring issue that every time Dolby Access or Xbox updates Atmos breaks. Annoying.
post #5627 of 5683 Old 01-10-2020, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I cant get Atmos when hooking up my xbox 1x into my LGC9 than out to Arc on my 9.2 shockwafe.It just passes dolby audio. I think i remember reading somewhere that the shockwafe cant pass through atmos via arc?. It works fine when connecting the xbox to the soundbar acorse. I just like having the tv automatically switch to the 'Game' Picture Mode when ran through the TV and i assumed it could pass Atmos since the LG supports Atmos.

Last edited by smith10210; 01-10-2020 at 09:06 AM.
post #5628 of 5683 Old 01-10-2020, 02:22 PM

DRC function & Subwoofer cross frequency

What does the DRC function actually sound and could someone share in depth details on the subwoofer cross frequency setting?

Last edited by Johnny Neat; 01-10-2020 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added Question
post #5629 of 5683 Old 01-10-2020, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I know I’ve asked this before but haven’t really got any response. I had vizio bar before and adjusting the volume on the channels (center, rear, etc) from 1-10 was like night and day. I could tell a big volume difference. 1 being nearly shut off. On this bar I can’t seem to tell a difference between 1 and 10 on the individual channels. Is there a big difference between 1 and 10? I feel like my bar is defective and I have a protection plan, but I need an answer. I’ve lived with it but it’s bothersome. When I press movie eq, there’s definitely a noticeable difference in channel volumes. Especially with center being too loud but I can’t adjust it lower. in me adjusting it I don’t notice anything, I put my ear to the speaker and can’t hear and difference in level. I might be hearing some very small volume level change or it’s me expecting a change. I really cannot tell it’s that small. Please help. Just a quick answer.
clay50 likes this.

Last edited by warpigdave; 01-10-2020 at 10:32 PM.
post #5630 of 5683 Old 01-11-2020, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread

I've noticed the same with my 9.2 system and the level adjustments. Lowering or raising the levels are (for the most part) small adjustments. Not a big issue for me other than my right rear speaker is way closer to my normal seating position than my left rear, and I can't lower the sound level from it as much as I would like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jose R. Perez
post #5631 of 5683 Old 01-11-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
What does the DRC function actually sound and could someone share in depth details on the subwoofer cross frequency setting?
I've been experimenting with my 9.2 since getting 3 wks ago. Nak says they allow a little mid-range and "voices" to come through the subs to help fill the room with audio. I switched crossover to 110 setting and got rid of voices coming out of subs and it lowered the mid-range greatly improving the balance of high/lows in the room. That said, you will want the DRC set to "off" unless you're ok with a reduction in bass.

Nak promotes a 470W sub system, but I do not agree with that. My single 8" 180W sub can overpower both Nak's 10"s! I'm stunned they promote that much power because it's FAR from the truth. 470W should knock you off the couch!! I have to turn my master volume up to 35 and bass at 10 to get any kind of serious "punch." For what's available on the market, I can live with it for now.
post #5632 of 5683 Old 01-11-2020, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nak 7.2.4. Sharp TV LC60LE632U.
TV and Nak connected ARC
Amazon cube and DirecTV connected to TV

When I turn the system on, the subs and soundbar work but no sound coming through two surrounds. I can select “D” on the remote and it fixes it (sounds best with the first of the three selections, i think “Dolby Surr...”. When I turn system off and back on, I have to press D again to make the surrounds work. All of my other settings are saved and do not change when powering off and on. Thoughts?

P.S. I’m also not completely convinced I’m getting true surround sound, but it sounds outstanding (after putting it in surround mode by pressing D).
post #5633 of 5683 Old 01-14-2020, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any news from CES are we expecting any new models?
post #5634 of 5683 Old 01-14-2020, 08:41 AM

Thank you

Quote:
I've been experimenting with my 9.2 since getting 3 wks ago. Nak says they allow a little mid-range and "voices" to come through the subs to help fill the room with audio. I switched crossover to 110 setting and got rid of voices coming out of subs and it lowered the mid-range greatly improving the balance of high/lows in the room. That said, you will want the DRC set to "off" unless you're ok with a reduction in bass.

Nak promotes a 470W sub system, but I do not agree with that. My single 8" 180W sub can overpower both Nak's 10"s! I'm stunned they promote that much power because it's FAR from the truth. 470W should knock you off the couch!! I have to turn my master volume up to 35 and bass at 10 to get any kind of serious "punch." For what's available on the market, I can live with it for now.
Thanks, I will make sure I'm on that setting. I have gotten the Naka 7.2.4s to sound pretty good, but it's all a bit iffy. If I sit near the subs I hear people's voices still, but as a vibrating muffle.

I just want these things to sound great since I passed on the Sammy Q90Rs and Naka never returned my return inquiry.

Off to try more settings.
post #5635 of 5683 Old 01-14-2020, 09:33 AM

On and...

I also want to add that I wish Naka would do a movie mode for the menu led. Dimming it is not good enough, I wish it would just turn off.

And can anyone assist on how to get the soundbar to stick to an HDMI port without having to press it on the remote a million times to make sure it sticks, because although I think it's the Apple TV 4k not playing nice, it's annoying. Can it be CEC? Because I have that off.
post #5636 of 5683 Old 01-14-2020, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I also want to add that I wish Naka would do a movie mode for the menu led. Dimming it is not good enough, I wish it would just turn off.

And can anyone assist on how to get the soundbar to stick to an HDMI port without having to press it on the remote a million times to make sure it sticks, because although I think it's the Apple TV 4k not playing nice, it's annoying. Can it be CEC? Because I have that off.
Dim1 -dark
Dim2 -little dark
Dim3 -bright
Dim0 -bright and will be turned off in 5sec.

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
post #5637 of 5683 Old 01-14-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I will make sure I'm on that setting. I have gotten the Naka 7.2.4s to sound pretty good, but it's all a bit iffy. If I sit near the subs I hear people's voices still, but as a vibrating muffle.

I just want these things to sound great since I passed on the Sammy Q90Rs and Naka never returned my return inquiry.

Off to try more settings.
There are some tweeks you can do to make it great. Alberto is the customer service manager in Silicon Valley. He's pretty good at getting back to you from their support email.
post #5638 of 5683 Old 01-14-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhyena69 View Post
Dim1 -dark
Dim2 -little dark
Dim3 -bright
Dim0 -bright and will be turned off in 5sec.

Thanks! I must have missed that or something because I just got it too dim to what I thought was the last level. Guess i'll have to do this tonight.
post #5639 of 5683 Old 01-14-2020, 02:10 PM

Thanks!

Quote:
There are some tweeks you can do to make it great. Alberto is the customer service manager in Silicon Valley. He's pretty good at getting back to you from their support email.
I have to reach out then. Unless anyone has more settings to share.
post #5640 of 5683 Old 01-15-2020, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I finally managed all the cables connected to my 86 inch tv.

I have apple tv, shield tv and my cable settop box and soundbar.

Cables were all over the places, it didnt look good.

So I bought a tv stand and soundbar bracket to solve all cable management.

As you can see in the picture, I hid all the cables behind tv and pillar of tv stand.

I am totally happy and my wife is even happier.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page