Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 194 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1403Likes

post #5791 of 5919 Old 03-28-2020, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have emailed Nakamichi support on my Dolby Vision issue and the first reply was to do what I had done twice already. I tried it again, still did not work and I am waiting on their email response to that at some point. Until then, I wanted to stop by here and see if there are any other ideas I have missed.

Hardware:
Nakamichi Shockwafe Pro 7.1 DTS:X, FW 3.3
Vizio P65-F1, v 5.0.7.3
Shield TV 2019, v 8.1.1
Sony UBP-X700, v M43.R.0277
Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI Cable x 2 (#1 for example below)
Monoprice DynamicView Ultra 8K HDMI Cable x 2 (#2 for example below)

I have completed a Soft Reset twice and the Hard Reset + HDMI Connection Refresh three times. The six scenarios below were tried with the Sony UBP-X700 as well, I just did not want to crowd the screen with six more items that had the same results. I had an Amazon FireTV Stick 4K at one point but replaced it with the Shield as the FireTV Stick could not keep up with my server streaming and a few other things the Shield has been able to do. Dolby Vision worked months ago as I tested it with FireTV and Sony player. But I have not done anything with Dolby Vision recently as I have not watched anything with it. Dolby Vision has never worked with the Shield but I have only had it for three weeks. I reconnected the FireTV to the Nakamichi and no Dolby Vision as well anymore similar to the Sony. The results below are from Netflix on the Shield and Disc on the Sony.

Shield TV to Vizio HDMI2, #1 HDMI cable

Result
Video = Dolby Vision
Audio = TV Speakers

Shield TV to Vizio HDMI2, #2 HDMI cable

Result
Video = Dolby Vision
Audio = TV Speakers

Vizio HDMI1 ARC to Nakamichi HDMI1 ARC, #1 HDMI Cable

Result
Video = Dolby Vision
Audio = 5.1

Vizio HDMI1 ARC to Nakamichi HDMI1 ARC, #2 HDMI Cable

Result
Video = Dolby Vision
Audio = 5.1

Shield TV to Nakamichi HDMI2, #1 HDMI cable (Sony to Nakamichi HDMI3)

Result
Video = HDR10
Audio = Dolby Atmos (DTS:X for Sony)

Shield TV to Nakamichi HDMI2, #2 HDMI cable (Sony to Nakamichi HDMI3)

Result
Video = HDR10

Thanks for any other insight into something I may have missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 5919 Old 03-28-2020, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobisConfused View Post
I’m beyond frustrated with this thing. As posted above I’ve got the pro version. The first soundbar just would not work with HDMI and my tv. To their credit they sent me another soundbar and it does work with HDMI.

Now though I have a few other issues. One the sub knocks and farts pretty often. Simply using YouTube and moving the video selected will make it knock and fart. Maybe something is just loose and I can fix that myself. I can deal with that.

What I cannot deal with is now the soundbar just cuts in and out at random. It will stay on but all audio will just go away. I’ve noticed the thing gets hot as all get out so maybe that’s the issue I don’t know.

Regardless this is a post in frustration and I’ll just say this. When the thing works it really does sound absolutely amazing for a soundbar. With that said if your in the market now I wouldn’t purchase one as I’ve had nothing but problems. I wish I would have waited for the new JBL soundbar that is coming out with rear speakers and atmos capability.
There is a known bug in the atmos app for xbox - something MS has been working on for couple years now. The bug causes the audio to "drop out". I myself have just started experiencing "distortion" while watching Netflix...back to troubleshooting...
post #5793 of 5919 Old 03-29-2020, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi. I just wanted to post an update of this situation I was having.

I contaced Nakamichi support via Facebook and they got back to me in a couple of hours. Over the next 2 days they had me run a few tests to help them diagnose the issue. Turns out the hdmi board had gone out for some reason.

i was out of warranty by a couple of weeks but Nakamichi said they would still honor it and asked me to send it in for repair. A few days later they told me that the unit was fixed and they would be sending it back.

It took a couple of weeks to get back me due to the current situation but it arrived yesterday and everything is sounding great.

They were in constant contact with me the whole time and everything was smooth and friendly.

Thanks Nakamichi support! I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheetahAce View Post
Hello,

I have owned the soundbar for a year now. It has been working perfectly until this morning where no video was being shown on my TV from the soundbar.  Also there is no sound from any input.

I tried hard and soft resetting several times, checked the hdmi cables, tried new cables, switched inputs etc but the soundbar doesn't seem to accept input from my blu ray player or my fire stick.

Both of those devices work when plugged directly into the tv w/o going thru the sound bar so this confirms the streaming devices and tv and cables work.

If i press the demo button on the soundbar i can hear the test sounds on all speakers from the soundbar.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post
I had the exact same issue 3-months into using Nakamichi. Only Demo mode would work. Nakamichi replaced the central soundbar and then things started working again. You should speak with Alberto from support.
ebanu2003 and In The Bay like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5794 of 5919 Old 03-29-2020, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanPatterson View Post
I have emailed Nakamichi support on my Dolby Vision issue and the first reply was to do what I had done twice already. I tried it again, still did not work and I am waiting on their email response to that at some point. Until then, I wanted to stop by here and see if there are any other ideas I have missed.

Hardware:
Nakamichi Shockwafe Pro 7.1 DTS:X, FW 3.3
Vizio P65-F1, v 5.0.7.3
Shield TV 2019, v 8.1.1
Sony UBP-X700, v M43.R.0277
Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI Cable x 2 (#1 for example below)
Monoprice DynamicView Ultra 8K HDMI Cable x 2 (#2 for example below)

I have completed a Soft Reset twice and the Hard Reset + HDMI Connection Refresh three times. The six scenarios below were tried with the Sony UBP-X700 as well, I just did not want to crowd the screen with six more items that had the same results. I had an Amazon FireTV Stick 4K at one point but replaced it with the Shield as the FireTV Stick could not keep up with my server streaming and a few other things the Shield has been able to do. Dolby Vision worked months ago as I tested it with FireTV and Sony player. But I have not done anything with Dolby Vision recently as I have not watched anything with it. Dolby Vision has never worked with the Shield but I have only had it for three weeks. I reconnected the FireTV to the Nakamichi and no Dolby Vision as well anymore similar to the Sony. The results below are from Netflix on the Shield and Disc on the Sony.

Result
Video = Dolby Vision
Audio = TV Speakers

Result
Video = Dolby Vision
Audio = TV Speakers

Result
Video = Dolby Vision
Audio = 5.1

Result
Video = Dolby Vision
Audio = 5.1

Shield TV to Nakamichi HDMI2, #1 HDMI cable (Sony to Nakamichi HDMI3)

Result
Video = HDR10

Shield TV to Nakamichi HDMI2, #2 HDMI cable (Sony to Nakamichi HDMI3)

Result
Video = HDR10

Thanks for any other insight into something I may have missed.

Do you have the DTSX bar upgraded to Atmos/Vision? or Do you have the 2019 soundbar?
post #5795 of 5919 Old 03-30-2020, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
Do you have the DTSX bar upgraded to Atmos/Vision? or Do you have the 2019 soundbar?
2018 DTS:X upgraded to FW33. It was one of the more recent made I assume as it came with the same SSE remote as the 2019 models.
post #5796 of 5919 Old 03-30-2020, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been researching this soundbar for a new home, and there are two things holding me back:

1) The rtings review lists the Low-Frequency at only ~48Hz which seems crazy for 2 10" subs. I read that is "bass heavy," but with such poor Low-Frequency response, I do not understand how unless it is manufactured software/firmware bass. I've searched this thread and read lots of reports disagreeing with the review and calling it biased. Mixed "rting" score aside, has anyone done measurements to dispute the Low-Frequency response?

2) I'm a bit put off that a system in this price range does not include room correction. After searching the thread, I do not see any graphs posted by anyone. Without a dedicated EQ, has anyone ran REW or something to try to dial it in by sub placement, the preset DSP modes, etc? Would really be interested if anyone has actual measurements they could share.
post #5797 of 5919 Old 04-02-2020, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hello, I recently got an LG c9 and have the 2018 7.2 system updated with the 3.3 firmware. I'm trying to get Netflix and prime video internal apps to output Dolby atmos or at the very least dd+ and I can't figure out how to do it... When I connect firetv 4k directly to the soundbar I can get dd+ and even atmos from prime (Netflix doesn't support atmos on firetv 4k)

Can someone help me with this? I thought the soundbar was updated to support earc and that the c9 can output earc so what am I doing wrong? Thanks!
post #5798 of 5919 Old 04-03-2020, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
Hello, I recently got an LG c9 and have the 2018 7.2 system updated with the 3.3 firmware. I'm trying to get Netflix and prime video internal apps to output Dolby atmos or at the very least dd+ and I can't figure out how to do it... When I connect firetv 4k directly to the soundbar I can get dd+ and even atmos from prime (Netflix doesn't support atmos on firetv 4k)

Can someone help me with this? I thought the soundbar was updated to support earc and that the c9 can output earc so what am I doing wrong? Thanks!
The update DID NOT add in eARC to the soundbar, they mentioned this would not be a feature of this soundbar.
Maybe an updated soundbar they release will feature eARC
post #5799 of 5919 Old 04-03-2020, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Ok, so does Dolby digital plus also require earc?

Basically there is no way to get the soundbar to output dd+ or atmos without connecting and external source to the bar, is that correct??
post #5800 of 5919 Old 04-05-2020, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have nakamichi utral 9.2 dts:x.I cannot connect subwoofer after upgrading to FW33, and still cannot connect after downgrading to FW10. Can someone help me?Thanks.
post #5801 of 5919 Old 04-05-2020, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

The soundbar doesn't support EARC and there's no plans for it to
post #5802 of 5919 Old 04-05-2020, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 54
A weird thing happened with my Nakamichi, which has been running firmware 33 and working fine for a while now.

I have now zeroed in on settings that I like and stick with them! I decided to do a factory reset for some reason and configured my favorite settings again. Whoa, with the EXACT same settings, after a reset, my soundbar sounds WAAAY better.

In the past, I felt that the soundbar sounded amazing on Shield/Fire TV but not so much on Apple TV - which I blamed on the Apple TV. But now, all my devices sound equally good. Factory reset seems to have done "something"!

- Pure Direct: Dolby Surround
- DSP: Off
- SSE: 3
- Room Size: Medium
- Bass: 06
- TR: 04
- CR: 09
- SS: 04
- SB: 09
- DRC- Off
- 110 Hz
- DIM 0
atfree and nota bene like this.
post #5803 of 5919 Old 04-06-2020, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Ok, so does Dolby digital plus also require earc?

Basically there is no way to get the soundbar to output dd+ or atmos without connecting and external source to the bar, is that correct??
Correct
post #5804 of 5919 Old 04-06-2020, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Mkv files with dts audio. Has anyone had issue with trying to play mkv files encoded with dts audio? Doesn't matter what file I play, audio b is super choppy and the video stutters a bit too

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820
Sony 65xZ9D (Living room)
Sony 65xA9F (Bedroom)
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #5805 of 5919 Old 04-07-2020, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Can the Nakamichi sound bars be calibrated? Can the levels/frequencies to each speaker be adjusted to compensate for room irregularities?

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #5806 of 5919 Old 04-07-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryunibrow View Post
Correct
This is not 100% correct. The 2019 models can do dd+/Atmos over ARC. eARC is not required. The 2018 models cannot.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820
Sony 65xZ9D (Living room)
Sony 65xA9F (Bedroom)
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #5807 of 5919 Old 04-07-2020, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
This is not 100% correct. The 2019 models can do dd+/Atmos over ARC. eARC is not required. The 2018 models cannot.
My 2018 gets atmos over dd plus on arc. I'm on the 3.3 FW. I have a Samsung q8fn TV and I've confirmed it with jack Ryan on amazon prime. It's compressed dd plus but it recognizes the atmos identification.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
atfree likes this.
post #5808 of 5919 Old 04-09-2020, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
My 2018 gets atmos over dd plus on arc. I'm on the 3.3 FW. I have a Samsung q8fn TV and I've confirmed it with jack Ryan on amazon prime. It's compressed dd plus but it recognizes the atmos identification.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Same here.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #5809 of 5919 Old 04-12-2020, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why does Nakamichi recommended on their site to use Dolby digital always thought PCM is the one people use?
post #5810 of 5919 Old 04-18-2020, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I’m considering getting the Shockwafe 7.2 to replace the Samsung HW-K950 I have.

Primary reason is poor imaging when the audio provided is stereo like that provided by most streaming video apps.

Does the Shockwafe allow for faking Atmos and/or DTS:X from stereo audio?

Lloyd
post #5811 of 5919 Old 04-18-2020, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
I’m considering getting the Shockwafe 7.2 to replace the Samsung HW-K950 I have.

Primary reason is poor imaging when the audio provided is stereo like that provided by most streaming video apps.

Does the Shockwafe allow for faking Atmos and/or DTS:X from stereo audio?
Yes

You could fake it with Dolby upmix or dolby surround modes

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
lparsons21 likes this.
post #5812 of 5919 Old 04-18-2020, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi guys, I just realized I posted this before in probably the wrong section. I’m brand new here lol. I’m pretty much convinced of buying one of these Nakamichi soundbar, save a few of the bad reviews I’ve read. I’ve read they don’t last, have connection issues. Also problems with firmware updates, and such. I’m basically trying to figure out if these people complaining may just not know what they’re doing or maybe a defective product that they received. Also feel free to tell me how it works for you, and how you like it
post #5813 of 5919 Old 04-18-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightstik View Post
Hi guys, I just realized I posted this before in probably the wrong section. I’m brand new here lol. I’m pretty much convinced of buying one of these Nakamichi soundbar, save a few of the bad reviews I’ve read. I’ve read they don’t last, have connection issues. Also problems with firmware updates, and such. I’m basically trying to figure out if these people complaining may just not know what they’re doing or maybe a defective product that they received. Also feel free to tell me how it works for you, and how you like it
Love my 7.1 DTS:X Nakamichi. I've had no issues at all.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
Directv Genie
post #5814 of 5919 Old 04-18-2020, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightstik View Post
Hi guys, I just realized I posted this before in probably the wrong section. I’️m brand new here lol. I’️m pretty much convinced of buying one of these Nakamichi soundbar, save a few of the bad reviews I’️ve read. I’️ve read they don’️t last, have connection issues. Also problems with firmware updates, and such. I’️m basically trying to figure out if these people complaining may just not know what they’️re doing or maybe a defective product that they received. Also feel free to tell me how it works for you, and how you like it
Love my 7.1 DTS:X Nakamichi. I've had no issues at all.

Thanks so much for your input! Much appreciated. I’m thinking of the 7.1 also, or maybe the 7.2. I’m still researching. This will be my first soundbar system.
post #5815 of 5919 Old 04-22-2020, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Apple TV 4k + Nakamichi 9.2

Hi guys I just bought an apple tv 4k, but having a lot of audio stuttering and cutouts, I've tried atmos and 5.1 and doesnt seem to make much difference. I did read that the hdmi cables required could be an issue, so I ordered the belkin ultra hdmi off of amazon, but I'm wondering if it might be something else.

Anyone else have similar issues?

I have the latest Apple TV 4k connected to my shockwafe 9.2 SSE connected through arc on my LG C8.

Edit: Well I switched the HDMI on the nakamichi from port 4 to 3 and I seem to get much more consistent performance. Is it possible that heat created between the ARC port and HDMI 4 port on the soundbar is creating the issue? Only thing I can think of...

Last edited by chapsui; 04-22-2020 at 05:32 PM.
post #5816 of 5919 Old 04-22-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapsui View Post
Hi guys I just bought an apple tv 4k, but having a lot of audio stuttering and cutouts, I've tried atmos and 5.1 and doesnt seem to make much difference. I did read that the hdmi cables required could be an issue, so I ordered the belkin ultra hdmi off of amazon, but I'm wondering if it might be something else.

I have the latest Apple TV 4k connected to my shockwafe 9.2 SSE connected through arc on my LG C8.
I had some issues as well...bought the Belkin 8k 48gbps cables for all connections and all is well. I think the extra headroom makes a difference

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
Directv Genie
post #5817 of 5919 Old 04-22-2020, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapsui View Post

Edit: Well I switched the HDMI on the nakamichi from port 4 to 3 and I seem to get much more consistent performance. Is it possible that heat created between the ARC port and HDMI 4 port on the soundbar is creating the issue? Only thing I can think of...
Set sse3

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
post #5818 of 5919 Old 04-23-2020, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hi does anyone have any good settings to use for the Nakamichi 9.2.4? Thanks!
post #5819 of 5919 Old 04-24-2020, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shockwafe Pro 7.1 2016 Digital Optical In to HDMI Out

Unique question for anyone with the older 7.1.

I'd like to use the Shockwafe in the following manner (for reasons I won't get in to):
My TV is a Samsung smartTV and I only stream from the onboard apps of the TV.
I'd like to take the digital optical audio OUT of my TV, in to the digital optical audio IN on the soundbar (so soundbar and sub get audio then).
BUT I'd then like to take the HDMI OUT (ARC) of the soundbar and run that to an HDMI IN on my receiver so that I can send the audio out to my regular speaker-wire speakers attached to my receiver.

So the question is, does the soundbar distribute the Audio it gets IN on the digital optical to the OUT of the HDMI?

My stuff is in storage while the living room gets remodeled and I'm having low voltage guys pull wires next week otherwise I'd test myself. Just need to know for wiring purposes.

Last edited by eros200; 04-24-2020 at 06:21 AM. Reason: more context
post #5820 of 5919 Old 04-24-2020, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post
A weird thing happened with my Nakamichi, which has been running firmware 33 and working fine for a while now.

I have now zeroed in on settings that I like and stick with them! I decided to do a factory reset for some reason and configured my favorite settings again. Whoa, with the EXACT same settings, after a reset, my soundbar sounds WAAAY better.

In the past, I felt that the soundbar sounded amazing on Shield/Fire TV but not so much on Apple TV - which I blamed on the Apple TV. But now, all my devices sound equally good. Factory reset seems to have done "something"!

- Pure Direct: Dolby Surround
- DSP: Off
- SSE: 3
- Room Size: Medium
- Bass: 06
- TR: 04
- CR: 09
- SS: 04
- SB: 09
- DRC- Off
- 110 Hz
- DIM 0
I chaged my settings to yours and my bar sounds much better. The separation sounds amazing! Thanks
In The Bay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page