Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 195 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1403Likes

post #5821 of 5919 Old 04-25-2020, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeson76 View Post
Is this the delay that I should be hearing: whenever I am playing Hulu with commercials...when I start a new show it plays for like 2 seconds, and then cuts out for 2 seconds. After the is plays good until I hit a commercial. It then plays the commercial for 2 seconds and cuts out for 2 seconds. It happens like this everytime I get to a commercial, or it returns to the show I am watching. It is consistent. And then on Netflix when I scroll through the shows, (you know how it plays a short preview). This cut out happens on each one of those previews too. Consistent everytime. This is on a Roku Ultra connected to HDMI 3 on the Soundbar. FireCube TV plays perfectly on everything I throw at it cept for voice sync issues.

But then at times, it works perfectly. I think if I would just let the Roku sit still for 30 or so seconds, when I hear the "click" whenever I hit the remote buttons...that is a sign that the audio will work perfectly.

Hope this all makes sense
I'm having exactly the same issue with Nintendo Switch.
Even just in the menu, if you go through your list of game quickly, it takes some time for the sound to even play, and then it cuts against for 2 seconds.
I don't think that's acceptable nor does it make sense to me. What I know though is that it's a deal breaker as it makes games like Jackbox completely unplayable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5919 Old 04-26-2020, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by john morris View Post
I chaged my settings to yours and my bar sounds much better. The separation sounds amazing! Thanks
Glad you like it! I've had this Soundbar for around nine months now - and have experimented with it quite a bit and finally got to these settings.

Another thing I realized recently was this - when you connect new devices, switch connections, connect a new HDMI cable etc., do a factory reset on the Soundbar. Not sure if it is just my piece or a general Nakamichi issue, the oft recommended "HDMI handshake reset" does not always work as intended.

I always thought that my Nvidia Shield 2019 sounded way better than Apple TV 4K and I blamed this on Apple TV (which I have been using since the day I bought Naka). Recently, on a whim, I reset the soundbar - and configured the exact same settings on Nakamichi and whoa, my ATV started sounding as good as Nvidia/Fire Cube, if not better.

After some more experimenting, I realized that when you switch/change connections or connect a new device, resetting the soundbar seems to make a world of difference!
john morris likes this.
post #5823 of 5919 Old 04-26-2020, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Anyone tried any speaker placement for 9.2.4 other than the six recommended. Like anyone tried ceiling mount the surround and rear speakers. Will that dampen the atmos ? Does anyone have any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5824 of 5919 Old 04-26-2020, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Initial setup and accessories checklist?

Hello everyone,
Soon to be owner of a 9.2.4 system here, waiting for my order to be fulfilled (early May). Is there a checklist of items to prepare before the arrival of this baby?

I just purchased the Atlantic stands and I read a few posts about Belkin HDMI cables - holy smokes $40 for a simple cable? Has anyone used one of the $20 ones? Like Pacroban 8K cable (can't post links yet)

I don't mind buying Belkin, but what makes that one so special? I mean is not like Belkin is a super brand or anything, so I'd be surprised that somehow they stroke gold in a cable? Anyway, if there's no other cable that does the trick I'll buy it, but just curious.

Most importantly, what else do I need to have for the best start?
Thanks!!!!
post #5825 of 5919 Old 04-27-2020, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdkaplan View Post
Hello everyone,
Soon to be owner of a 9.2.4 system here, waiting for my order to be fulfilled (early May). Is there a checklist of items to prepare before the arrival of this baby?

I just purchased the Atlantic stands and I read a few posts about Belkin HDMI cables - holy smokes $40 for a simple cable? Has anyone used one of the $20 ones? Like Pacroban 8K cable (can't post links yet)

I don't mind buying Belkin, but what makes that one so special? I mean is not like Belkin is a super brand or anything, so I'd be surprised that somehow they stroke gold in a cable? Anyway, if there's no other cable that does the trick I'll buy it, but just curious.

Most importantly, what else do I need to have for the best start?
Thanks!!!!
Well the belkin cable is hdmi 2.1 do 48gbps speed compared to hdmi 2.0 of 18. So it has mote room if say the hdmi 2.0 was not up to 100% spec. One thing i noticed is the belkin was a tight fit into the port while another premium 2.0 cable was not. A few times of cat knocking it out and i was glad to spend on the belkin.
fdkaplan likes this.
post #5826 of 5919 Old 04-27-2020, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nervous about new firmware update

Hi All. Hard with 900 pages on this thread to find answers to my particular situation. I appreciate any advice in advance.

I have ‘19 model 9.2 with original firmware. All 4 speakers separately wall mounted vertically. The system sounds awesome in my 13x13 room which has 7.5ft ceilings and two Reg sized doorways.

I have it connected to Directv genie 4K with LG B6 tv

I have zero problems with audio playback For the year plus I’ve had it set up

I mainly watch tv using dtv

I also watch Amazon Prime, Netflix 4K, Hulu, and sometimes rent movies on Vudu through internal tv apps

Question - should I upgrade to newest firmware to Improve listening experience? Will I have playback issues as I have read some have had?

Question - would exterior streaming devices improve video/audio given current situation or with firmware upgrade?

Question - if I upgrade firmware, would it be worth repositioning surround speakers to horizontal position to maximize atmos experience?

Bottom line is I love picture of my B6 and great sound all working perfectly and wondering if it’s possible to upgrade it to atmos without screwing it up
post #5827 of 5919 Old 04-27-2020, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by six7kevin View Post
Hi All. Hard with 900 pages on this thread to find answers to my particular situation. I appreciate any advice in advance.

I have ‘19 model 9.2 with original firmware. All 4 speakers separately wall mounted vertically. The system sounds awesome in my 13x13 room which has 7.5ft ceilings and two Reg sized doorways.

I have it connected to Directv genie 4K with LG B6 tv

I have zero problems with audio playback For the year plus I’ve had it set up

I mainly watch tv using dtv

I also watch Amazon Prime, Netflix 4K, Hulu, and sometimes rent movies on Vudu through internal tv apps

Question - should I upgrade to newest firmware to Improve listening experience? Will I have playback issues as I have read some have had?

Question - would exterior streaming devices improve video/audio given current situation or with firmware upgrade?

Question - if I upgrade firmware, would it be worth repositioning surround speakers to horizontal position to maximize atmos experience?

Bottom line is I love picture of my B6 and great sound all working perfectly and wondering if it’s possible to upgrade it to atmos without screwing it up
I have a Vizio 2018 M50, with LG UHD player and DirecTV Genie connected to my 7.1 DTS:X soundbar. I use primarily for DirecTV and stream apps (Netflix, AppleTV, Vudu, and Prime mostly) through TV.

Upgraded to Atmos firmware. NO issues at all. Atmos works fine, just do the full reset after upgrade as detailed on Nakas website. I really don't know what other people's issues are, most seem related to Nvidia Shield and Xbox.

I really couldn't be more satisfied.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #5828 of 5919 Old 04-29-2020, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone else have issues with Dolby surround and apple tv 4k. I notice the rear speakers don't work at all if i leave it at Dolby surround have to cycle through and get back to Dolby surround then the back speakers come alive. I like the sound to naka but naka needs to fix these bugs badly about to give up on this sound bar and grab LG offering at least the trade off will be upgraded to 2.1 with no bugs.
post #5829 of 5919 Old 04-29-2020, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post
Does anyone else have issues with Dolby surround and apple tv 4k. I notice the rear speakers don't work at all if i leave it at Dolby surround have to cycle through and get back to Dolby surround then the back speakers come alive. I like the sound to naka but naka needs to fix these bugs badly about to give up on this sound bar and grab LG offering at least the trade off will be upgraded to 2.1 with no bugs.
I used to have a same problem just like yours.

I fixed it with hard reset. I unplug everything and leave it for more than 30 min.

Magically worked

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
post #5830 of 5919 Old 04-29-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhyena69 View Post
I used to have a same problem just like yours.

I fixed it with hard reset. I unplug everything and leave it for more than 30 min.

Magically worked

나의 LM-Q815L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
Gave it a shot left it unplug for a hour still same issue but i can have it on dolby upmix or native it work correctly but as soon as i use dolby surround thats it surrounds break.but its only doing it with the apple tv which is odd.
post #5831 of 5919 Old 04-29-2020, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post
Gave it a shot left it unplug for a hour still same issue but i can have it on dolby upmix or native it work correctly but as soon as i use dolby surround thats it surrounds break.but its only doing it with the apple tv which is odd.

What is your audio set to in the Apple TV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR 900F
LG C9 OLED
LG C7 OLED
post #5832 of 5919 Old 04-29-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
What is your audio set to in the Apple TV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Change format is off and Dolby atoms on. But if i change the chang format to Dolby digital surround speaker work like they should not sure if it's a apple tv issue with firmware but the firmware of my apple tv is.tv os 13.4.5
post #5833 of 5919 Old 04-30-2020, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoeman View Post
Guys, I need recommendations for a suitable HDMI cable.

I bought a 5 meters HDMI 2.0 cable (18Gbps) that I'm using to connect my PS4 Pro, but something odd is going on.

Legend:
--> HDMI directional connection
<--> HDMI ARC connection

Chain A:
PS4 Pro --5m HDMI 2.0 cable--> LG OLED55C7 <--Nakamichi included HDMI cable--> Naka Elite 7.2

Chain B:
PS4 Pro --5m HDMI 2.0 cable--> Naka Elite 7.2 <--Nakamichi included HDMI cable--> LG OLED55C7

Now, Chain A works perfectly; however, given that the audio passthrough is being handled by the LG OLED55C7 ARC, that means only 1Mbps audio can be passed to the Naka Elite 7.2, so it's pretty much just compressed lossy DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. I don't get to revel in the glory of lossless audio formats like DTS-HD Master Audio or 8 channel LPCM.

On the other hand, Chain B is able to handle the lossless good stuff, and theoretically pass the video through to the OLED55C7. Moreover Chain B is what the Nakamichi Shockwafe manual recommends when it comes to connecting the PS4 Pro to make full use of the Nakamichi Shockwafe. Unfortunately, the video passthrough is unstable to the point of unusable. It is very odd in that should I immediately fire up Monster Hunter World (which supports 4K HDR), it might flicker for a moment while negotiating the 4K HDR handshake, but once that sweet sweet HDR logo shows up on my OLED55C7, the signal seems to stay connected and I can play MHW no problemo. Yet if I were to switch back to the HOME screen of the PS4 Pro, and fire up Hulu or Plex or anything else in 1080p that shouldn't even stress the HDMI cable to its 18Gbps limit, it would start to flicker and lose the video signal. I'll still hear the sound coming out of the Elite 7.2 but the video is gone. If I switch the input away (be it the OLED55C7 input or the Shockwafe input) and switch back, it'd renegotiate the signal and I'll get video again for a brief moment (just a few seconds), and it'll flicker again and lose the video passthrough.

In an attempt to identify what exactly is causing this issue, I have substituted the 5m cable for a shorter cable, so Chain B goes:

PS4 Pro --1.5m HDMI 2.0 cable--> Naka Elite 7.2 <--Nakamichi included HDMI cable--> LG OLED55C7

This was able to sustain the connection, although occasionally that flicker and then loss of video happens at the beginning but doing that input switching back and forth would force the devices to renegotiate the signals and then it's all good. So I know what you're thinking, seems like it's the 5m HDMI cable at fault, right? Well, no, not exactly, because when I ran Chain B with Nvidia Shield TV:

Nvidia Shield TV --5m HDMI 2.0 cable--> Naka Elite 7.2 <--Nakamichi included HDMI cable--> LG OLED55C7

It worked beautifully without any issues. I was watching 4K HDR remuxes through Plex from a remote server Direct Playing with DTS-HD Master Audio and it was glorious. HDR was on, audio was lossless and full 8-channel instead of 6-channel Neural:X upmixed to 8-channel. Like I said, Direct Play. And at no point did the signal cut out.

So this leads me to think whatever handles the 4K HDR passthrough in the Shockwafe isn't that robust and is particularly sensitive to everything downstream. My guess is that the PS4 Pro and the cable are both serviceable, but neither one is outstanding, so when it hits the Shockwafe, it bugs out, whereas with the Shield, since the Shield is outstanding, when coupled with a serviceable cable, the Shockwafe was still able to work with that. Nevertheless, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has connected his / her PS4 Pro to the Shockwafe with a long cable, so can any other Shockwafe owner be kind enough to recommend me a cable to work with? I do need it to be at least 4 meters.

Thank you!
Have you ever fix the problem ? I got exactly same issue with my sony x950g , xbx, and nakamichi 7.1.4. What's weird is that it worked perfectly fine before my new x950g broke down on me and when I got replacement that problem started on day one. I've been trying everything I was able to find on line to no avail. My replacement Tv is slightly newer and perhaps has newer firmware that's why I used to blame newer firmware for the issue but now when I find people which the same problem and different TV I believe it's the soundbar problem. Thank you.
post #5834 of 5919 Old 05-01-2020, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Fuzzy/static in Audio

Hi Guys,

I have the DTX 9.2 config. 2 mos ago I started getting fuzzy static out of nowhere. It goes away when I restart the unit, but eventually comes back pretty quick. Used to do it 1-2x/mon, now it happens daily. Anyone else experience this?
post #5835 of 5919 Old 05-01-2020, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread

What devices are connected to the nakamichi and do you get the static with all the connected devices ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay50 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have the DTX 9.2 config. 2 mos ago I started getting fuzzy static out of nowhere. It goes away when I restart the unit, but eventually comes back pretty quick. Used to do it 1-2x/mon, now it happens daily. Anyone else experience this?

post #5836 of 5919 Old 05-02-2020, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Bay View Post
- Pure Direct: Dolby Surround
- DSP: Off
- SSE: 3
- Room Size: Medium
- Bass: 06
- TR: 04
- CR: 09
- SS: 04
- SB: 09
- DRC- Off
- 110 Hz
- DIM 0
Thank you very much for sharing your settings! Btw, what's your speaker placement and the room size?
I set mine in Dipole 2. Will you advice on how to tweak your settings in this case, please?
Spoiler!

Last edited by nota bene; 05-02-2020 at 01:15 PM.
post #5837 of 5919 Old 05-02-2020, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
New Shockwafe 7.2 elite owner here and have a couple of issues I've been trying to figure out.

Setup wise I have my Roku Streaming Sick+ connected directly to the shockwafe (HDMI 2). And the HDMI 1/ARC connected to my older LG TV (TV is not a 4K TV - just regular HD). I have the sound bar on the "Direct Setting -> Dobly Surround". When streaming from any of the services I seem to get a "Dolby D Plus" stream, but regardless of the content saying it's Atmos encoded - The sound bars status will only show Dolby Surround. I'd expect it to show "Dolby Atmos"..

1. Is this a correct assumption?
2. Am I doing something wrong to not be getting Atmos sound from any of these services?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
post #5838 of 5919 Old 05-02-2020, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
Thank you very much for sharing your settings! Btw, what's your speaker placement and the room size?
I set mine in Dipole 2. Will you advice on how to tweak your settings in this case, please?
Spoiler!
My room size is medium.

Not sure about Dipole as my system is a 7.2.
post #5839 of 5919 Old 05-03-2020, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post
What devices are connected to the nakamichi and do you get the static with all the connected devices ?

Xbox 1X + Vizio. I also noticed a burning electrical smell coming from the unit and then the sound went off. Touched the soundbar - it was hot as hell to the left of the middle logo. Had to unplug unit for 5 mins to let it cool down, then plugged back in. Seems defective.
post #5840 of 5919 Old 05-04-2020, 12:50 PM

Hi.I am brand new owner of a Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2.4 kit and I am experiencing a strange issue. Without any hdmi cable connected,I am hearing a lot of static noise/hissing sound/white noise. Even when I press the demo button, I can hear the voice saying "left channel, right channel, center channel, etc... like if the the voice is coming from a really old radio with a lot of interference noise. I made sure the soundbar is on the latest available firmware (3.3) and it as been reset many times. Any idea what my cause this issue? It looks like the soundbar is defective...
post #5841 of 5919 Old 05-04-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickside View Post
Hi.I am brand new owner of a Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2.4 kit and I am experiencing a strange issue. Without any hdmi cable connected,I am hearing a lot of static noise/hissing sound/white noise. Even when I press the demo button, I can hear the voice saying "left channel, right channel, center channel, etc... like if the the voice is coming from a really old radio with a lot of interference noise. I made sure the soundbar is on the latest available firmware (3.3) and it as been reset many times. Any idea what my cause this issue? It looks like the soundbar is defective...
Have you tried without the subwoofers on? I wonder if you're experiencing wi-fi interference. I'm also a new owner and while I still have not been able to set it up the way I want, I can attest that there's really no hissing of any kind on my system, so that does sound odd.
post #5842 of 5919 Old 05-04-2020, 06:21 PM

Is HDCP 2.2 the elephant in the room?

So, as expressed above, new 9.2.4 owner and while I managed to get nice sound out of it, I can't seem to make the "best" configuration work

This is what Plug & Play Matching Tool recommends:

XBOX One >> TV HDMI #1 (Xbox cable)
SW 9.2.4 >> TV HDMI #2 (ARC) (Naka cable)
FireTV Stick >> SW HDMI #2 (direct connect - no cable)
TIVO >> SW HDMI #3 (old but in perfect working condition generic cable)
Oppo >> SW HDMI #4 (old but in perfect working condition premium cable)

Problem is I get no video signal this way.

I was able to get nice sound if I connect the BDP to the TV, so ARC is working.
I was able to get video via ARC connection and not great sound (somewhat surround) by plugging Fire TV on SW HDMI #3 (not on SW HDMI #2 however)
I tried swapping some cables around to see if it made a difference (it did not, although I haven't tried all combos)

Equipment Details:
TV: Panasonic 55' Plasma P55VT60 circa 2013 (3 HDMI 1.4 Inputs, 1 ARC)
Streaming Device: Amazon Fire TV Stick 2nd Generation - 2016 release (1st with Alexa integration, Dolby Audio 5.1)
Blu-ray Player: Oppo BDP-93 (HDMI 1.4, Stereo, up to 7.1ch high-resolution PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD, bitstream or LPCM conversion of Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio)
DVR: Tivo Roamio TCD846510 500GB circa 2013 (HDMI 1.4 at best - never seen 3D over the air, so maybe 1.2?)
Gaming: Xbox One Forza Motorsport 6 Limited Edition (2015 - HDMI 1.4)

Now, I fully understand that NONE of my devices support Dolby Atmos, but I was hoping for a partial solution via upmixing until I replace each piece. Using Oppo on the TV provided some really nice sound - way better than previous AVR (Denon AV-300, entry level 2016 or so). So this is not about not having Atmos, but just not having a usable configuration at the moment.

Any ideas on best course of action I should take? Am I limited by the content protection protocol? HMDI itself should be backwards compatible right?
post #5843 of 5919 Old 05-04-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Have you tried without the subwoofers on? I wonder if you're experiencing wi-fi interference. I'm also a new owner and while I still have not been able to set it up the way I want, I can attest that there's really no hissing of any kind on my system, so that does sound odd.
Yes I did, on 2 different TVs with same result.

I finally contacted Nakamichi and they told me there is a problem with the Soundbar. However, since I bought the item though THEIR ebay store (a brand new unit, not an open box or refurbished) and that I live in Canada, they refuse to replace or repair it because I don't have an address in the USA. They say I can ship it back to them in California (I would need to pay for the shipping) but, even then, they will not ship it back to me because I live in Canada.

In other words, they sell to international buyers but don't honor their warranty if you receive a defective unit like the one I received.

I will definitely open a dispute with Ebay/Paypal to resolve this because it seriously looks like a scam.
post #5844 of 5919 Old 05-04-2020, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by deihnyx View Post
I'm having exactly the same issue with Nintendo Switch.
Even just in the menu, if you go through your list of game quickly, it takes some time for the sound to even play, and then it cuts against for 2 seconds.
I don't think that's acceptable nor does it make sense to me. What I know though is that it's a deal breaker as it makes games like Jackbox completely unplayable.

Commercials and game menus are in PCM. Even my Yamaha Aventage receiver has a pause before sound plays.
post #5845 of 5919 Old 05-04-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
So, as expressed above, new 9.2.4 owner and while I managed to get nice sound out of it, I can't seem to make the "best" configuration work

This is what Plug & Play Matching Tool recommends:

XBOX One >> TV HDMI #1 (Xbox cable)
SW 9.2.4 >> TV HDMI #2 (ARC) (Naka cable)
FireTV Stick >> SW HDMI #2 (direct connect - no cable)
TIVO >> SW HDMI #3 (old but in perfect working condition generic cable)
Oppo >> SW HDMI #4 (old but in perfect working condition premium cable)

Problem is I get no video signal this way.

I was able to get nice sound if I connect the BDP to the TV, so ARC is working.
I was able to get video via ARC connection and not great sound (somewhat surround) by plugging Fire TV on SW HDMI #3 (not on SW HDMI #2 however)
I tried swapping some cables around to see if it made a difference (it did not, although I haven't tried all combos)

Equipment Details:
TV: Panasonic 55' Plasma P55VT60 circa 2013 (3 HDMI 1.4 Inputs, 1 ARC)
Streaming Device: Amazon Fire TV Stick 2nd Generation - 2016 release (1st with Alexa integration, Dolby Audio 5.1)
Blu-ray Player: Oppo BDP-93 (HDMI 1.4, Stereo, up to 7.1ch high-resolution PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD, bitstream or LPCM conversion of Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio)
DVR: Tivo Roamio TCD846510 500GB circa 2013 (HDMI 1.4 at best - never seen 3D over the air, so maybe 1.2?)
Gaming: Xbox One Forza Motorsport 6 Limited Edition (2015 - HDMI 1.4)

Now, I fully understand that NONE of my devices support Dolby Atmos, but I was hoping for a partial solution via upmixing until I replace each piece. Using Oppo on the TV provided some really nice sound - way better than previous AVR (Denon AV-300, entry level 2016 or so). So this is not about not having Atmos, but just not having a usable configuration at the moment.

Any ideas on best course of action I should take? Am I limited by the content protection protocol? HMDI itself should be backwards compatible right?
It is definitely HDCP. It is not backwards compatible which means there is no way to predict the results.
If Oppo works well connected to your Viera, I'd suggest swapping the Oppo and the Xbox. You will probably get better sound from the Xbox connecting it directly to the soundbar.
post #5846 of 5919 Old 05-04-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickside View Post
Yes I did, on 2 different TVs with same result.

I finally contacted Nakamichi and they told me there is a problem with the Soundbar. However, since I bought the item though THEIR ebay store (a brand new unit, not an open box or refurbished) and that I live in Canada, they refuse to replace or repair it because I don't have an address in the USA. They say I can ship it back to them in California (I would need to pay for the shipping) but, even then, they will not ship it back to me because I live in Canada.

In other words, they sell to international buyers but don't honor their warranty if you receive a defective unit like the one I received.

I will definitely open a dispute with Ebay/Paypal to resolve this because it seriously looks like a scam.
Are they refusing to fix it or refusing to ship it back to you in Canada? Two different things.

Check out the important notes section. I think they will still fix it, you just need to get a friend from the US to mail it to you
https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockw...ipping-program
post #5847 of 5919 Old 05-07-2020, 08:33 AM

I thought naka said that going through arc will not allow you to get Dolby atoms. I know i try this setting on my old LG b8 and now that i upgraded to LG cx i decided to try it again and Dolby atoms plays no problem through Netflix built in app on LG TVs but on my b8 this doesn't work so anyone with c9 or cx might wanna give this a shot.
post #5848 of 5919 Old 05-08-2020, 09:34 AM

Has anyone used the Naka 9.2.4 with the TCL 8 series? It looks like a great TV and it's on a one day only price break (they've done it before though). 75in flagship for 1,800 is sweet. Main issue I can see is that it is NOT HDMI 2.1 so it may just not play nice with this soundbar?

Obviously with such big price breaks there must be something else going on market-wise, but as far as I can tell it's only on Best Buy so maybe the overbought inventory?

Help me decide whether to pull the trigger on this or not.
post #5849 of 5919 Old 05-08-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Has anyone used the Naka 9.2.4 with the TCL 8 series? It looks like a great TV and it's on a one day only price break (they've done it before though). 75in flagship for 1,800 is sweet. Main issue I can see is that it is NOT HDMI 2.1 so it may just not play nice with this soundbar?

Obviously with such big price breaks there must be something else going on market-wise, but as far as I can tell it's only on Best Buy so maybe the overbought inventory?

Help me decide whether to pull the trigger on this or not.
Was gonna get this same tv but blacks being crushed still exists. Think black screen in dark scenes in stranger things
fdkaplan likes this.
post #5850 of 5919 Old 05-08-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterhuey View Post
i saw that option and wasn't sure what it did. that's awesome if it works. unfortunately i'm unable to test it because now i can't get the CEC power sync option to work. my Naka isn't turning on with my TV. although when i turn my TV off it does turn the Naka off. and then it immediately turns on again. man CEC is a pain in the ass.

i hope the User Manual gets updated soon. lots of new features (including new remote) to document. the better the documentation is, the less you have to deal with morons like me spamming support and forums!
This is what my nak does with my Le Eco tv too when I turn the nak cec-opt off. It stops nak from changing inputs, but bar does not turn on with tv only off. I have a sideclick for my roku to power the bar on (annoying but better than alternative).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page