Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1280Likes

post #31 of 5085 Old 10-19-2017, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
I think this will be fine for me. After a certain point all the gimmicks don't matter.

The only thing that concerns me is that since I don't have a wall on one side of my room I'll have to keep the speakers together. The person I interacted with from
Nakamichi said that in that configuration it will still provide better imaging than the 7.2 setup.
Well I guess for your case, having discrete surround speakers will produce better and more consistent result than a single soundbar with audio bouncing off here and there.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5085 Old 10-20-2017, 04:39 AM

Btw, for those who are interested, you can get the elite 7.2 on amazon and bestbuy now.

Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2Ch DTS:X 800W 45-Inch Sound Bar System with Dual 8" Wireless Subwoofers & 2-Way Rear Satellite Speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7WSVON..._s.D6zbG9RFHFH

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nakamic...?skuId=6096114

It would be great if any of you have ordered it and share with us your experience. I’m still holding on my wallet for the ultra 9.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #33 of 5085 Old 10-21-2017, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Found this review on the 7.2 channel version on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B01N7WSVON
Cannot wait to get mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 5085 Old 10-21-2017, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
Found this review on the 7.2 channel version on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B01N7WSVON
Cannot wait to get mine.
That reviewer says there are no wires running across the living room- that is my biggest concern. I'm wondering if I should cancel my order for the 9.2 and go with the 7.2?

If I keep the 9.2 speakers together hopefully that should solve the problem.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #35 of 5085 Old 10-21-2017, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 318
That review must be wrong. The difference between the 7.2 and 9.2 is the addition of side speaker for the 9.2 (or a dipole double, rear speaker if you choose). The satellites are not wireless from all I've read. I would keep the 9.2 for superior sound.
post #36 of 5085 Old 10-21-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
That review must be wrong. The difference between the 7.2 and 9.2 is the addition of side speaker for the 9.2 (or a dipole double, rear speaker if you choose). The satellites are not wireless from all I've read. I would keep the 9.2 for superior sound.

Well technically the reviewer is not wrong about. You don’t have to run the wires across the room. The satellites are attached to the subwoofer while the subwoofers are wirelessly connected to the sound bar. It is not perfect but the good news is you don’t have to allocate individual power supply for each satellite. The signal and power will be tapped from the subs. Pretty neat.

post #37 of 5085 Old 10-22-2017, 04:54 AM

I think he just means you don't have to run wires from the front of the room to the surrounds. Yes you have to run wires from the subs to the satellites, but you can strategically place them (ie: both sides of the couch, with the wires under the couch, etc).

I'm just wondering how the 9.2 in the dipole double configuration will be wired? Is it two wires to each, or one? Can you still mount them on speaker stands in their double configuration?

Are the 7.2 and 9.2 setups the same with only an additional 2 speakers? Can I buy the 7.2 setup and add 2 more speakers if I decide to later on?

I'm going to have to talk to Nakamichi more before I make my decision. I really won't know my ideal setup until I'm in my new apartment and all my furniture is in place.
Micarina likes this.

post #38 of 5085 Old 10-22-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Regarding the Amazon reviewer ( I only read the quote posted here) saying there are no wires running across the living room, across can refer to either the room's long or short (or equal) dimension of the living room. Of course there are wires running across some part of the room. The likelihood is that each satellite has two wires, and each sub four inputs. Putting the side and rear together has acoustical ramifications, but the wiring would remain the same, unless Nakamichi has some consolidated master cable running from the dipole configuration, which is possible but not likely. Nevertheless, the best thing is to ask Nakamichi. But the 9.2 will provide a much fuller sound than the 7.2.
Micarina likes this.
post #39 of 5085 Old 10-22-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
That reviewer says there are no wires running across the living room- that is my biggest concern. I'm wondering if I should cancel my order for the 9.2 and go with the 7.2?

If I keep the 9.2 speakers together hopefully that should solve the problem.
To my understanding, there are two normal RCA type wires that run from each subwoofer to the rear speakers (Dipole or 9.2).
post #40 of 5085 Old 10-22-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
I think the difference is more power, two more rear speakers and 10" Vs 8" Subwoofers from what I have read, not sure if there are other technical differences.
Micarina likes this.
post #41 of 5085 Old 10-22-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I think he just means you don't have to run wires from the front of the room to the surrounds. Yes you have to run wires from the subs to the satellites, but you can strategically place them (ie: both sides of the couch, with the wires under the couch, etc).

I'm just wondering how the 9.2 in the dipole double configuration will be wired? Is it two wires to each, or one? Can you still mount them on speaker stands in their double configuration?

Are the 7.2 and 9.2 setups the same with only an additional 2 speakers? Can I buy the 7.2 setup and add 2 more speakers if I decide to later on?

I'm going to have to talk to Nakamichi more before I make my decision. I really won't know my ideal setup until I'm in my new apartment and all my furniture is in place.
The 9.2 must be shipping soon. Found it on Bestbuy.com but it is $100 higher than preorder.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nakamic...?skuId=6096116
post #42 of 5085 Old 10-22-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
To my understanding, there are two normal RCA type wires that run from each subwoofer to the rear speakers (Dipole or 9.2).
A bit confused. If the 9.2 speakers are in the "single" speaker config (meaning instead of split, using them together) then you should need 2 wires to each, correct?

Edit- Uh, guys...No Dolby Vision passthrough. Major oversight on a new/expensive product like this. I asked if it will supported on a forthcoming firmware update. Let's see what they say.

Last edited by DaveFi; 10-22-2017 at 10:08 PM.
post #43 of 5085 Old 10-22-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:

So now the placement of subwoofer is critical for the rear surround speakers if you want to minimize the cabling.

post #44 of 5085 Old 10-22-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I think the difference is more power, two more rear speakers and 10" Vs 8" Subwoofers from what I have read, not sure if there are other technical differences.

Oh yes how can we miss out the 10” subwoofer upgrade. Can’t imagine to have 2 10” subs to be in my living room. I guess I’m pretty sold by the overall audio hardware.

I hope we can get to see more reviews coming out soon.

post #45 of 5085 Old 10-23-2017, 07:58 AM

I'm kind of bummed that for >$1k we have a product that doesn't support Dolby Vision. I planned on purchasing a Vizio 4k TV and Apple TV 4k that both support it.

A Nakamichi rep gave me all sorts of reasons why they don't support it, say the device is firmware upgradable, but not that they plan on supporting DV in the future. He said I could plug my DV devices directly into my TV then use ARC for DV sources.

post #46 of 5085 Old 10-24-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I'm kind of bummed that for >$1k we have a product that doesn't support Dolby Vision. I planned on purchasing a Vizio 4k TV and Apple TV 4k that both support it.

A Nakamichi rep gave me all sorts of reasons why they don't support it, say the device is firmware upgradable, but not that they plan on supporting DV in the future. He said I could plug my DV devices directly into my TV then use ARC for DV sources.
Didn't think about Dolby Vision much. Just found out that my Samsung TV doesn't support it either, it has HDR10+
post #47 of 5085 Old 10-24-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Didn't think about Dolby Vision much. Just found out that my Samsung TV doesn't support it either, it has HDR10+
Here's my interaction with a Nakamichi rep over Facebook:

Quote:
...there are only a few source devices (Blu-ray, 4K streaming boxes) that support Dolby Vision video format. Furthermore, for users to be able to experience Dolby Vision, their 4K TV needs to have Dolby Vision as well. With Dolby Vision not considered mainstream for at least the next 12-18 months, we decided not to include it in our Ultra 9.2 yet (of course it is firmware upgradeable in the future).

Alternatively, you can connect your Dolby Vision source device directly via HDMI to your Dolby Vision-compatible TV, and then connect your TV to the soundbar via HDMI ARC. This way, you will still be able to enjoy Dolby Vision video on the TV and audio via our sound bar.
No DV support is a major complaint of people with the Samsung HW-K950. Now it's understandable if it was only made to use with Samsung TV's that don't support DV, but it's not. There's no excuse for a $1k+ product coming from a company like Nakamichi which doesn't have its own TVs to promote.

I'm conflicted now. This is a major hitch in my plans.

post #48 of 5085 Old 10-24-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
only the LG 2017 models support DD+ over ARC. ARC is pretty flaky

with this soundbar, the best option would be a UHD player with 2x HDMI out (1x connected to TV, other to the soundbar)
for media players such as Roku or Amazon, i don't believe many have dual outputs

and there is no Atmos (DD+) over optical/dig coax

i'm still onboard with the 9.2 Ultra unit, just want to know how it will handle DD+/Atmos soundtracks coming in, will DTS Neural X convert it to DTS or strip it down to 5.1
it's roughly the same price as the Sony soundbar, but adds in the 2nd subwoofer and side/rear surrounds, which is very intriguing to me

I hope to read some professional reviews very soon
anyone know when BestBuy will have the Ultra in-store and/or on-line to actually purchase (not pre-order) ?
post #49 of 5085 Old 10-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
only the LG 2017 models support DD+ over ARC. ARC is pretty flaky

with this soundbar, the best option would be a UHD player with 2x HDMI out (1x connected to TV, other to the soundbar)
for media players such as Roku or Amazon, i don't believe many have dual outputs

and there is no Atmos (DD+) over optical/dig coax

i'm still onboard with the 9.2 Ultra unit, just want to know how it will handle DD+/Atmos soundtracks coming in, will DTS Neural X convert it to DTS or strip it down to 5.1
it's roughly the same price as the Sony soundbar, but adds in the 2nd subwoofer and side/rear surrounds, which is very intriguing to me

I hope to read some professional reviews very soon
anyone know when BestBuy will have the Ultra in-store and/or on-line to actually purchase (not pre-order) ?
There are no media players with dual HDMI outputs and this will be a major problem with any lossless/Atmos soundtrack.

I highly recommend people contact Nakamichi and voice their displeasure with lack of Dolby Vision support. It would be nice to find out if it is even firmware upgradable to support it. I'm a bit wary about purchasing an expensive piece of hardware that's already obsolete.

Edit- I asked the guy I've been interacting with if it is even possible to upgrade it to support DV.

Last edited by DaveFi; 10-24-2017 at 04:01 PM.
post #50 of 5085 Old 10-24-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
There are no media players with dual HDMI outputs and this will be a major problem with any lossless/Atmos soundtrack.

I highly recommend people contact Nakamichi and voice their displeasure with lack of Dolby Vision support. It would be nice to find out if it is even firmware upgradable to support it. I'm a bit wary about purchasing an expensive piece of hardware that's already obsolete.

Edit- I asked the guy I've been interacting with if it is even possible to upgrade it to support DV.

I think there are ways to get around Dolby vision such as reroute the input to tv and others. I just did a quick check and Dolby vision is firmware-upgradable so there could be a potential that nakamichi will put that in although we are not sure what’s going happen next.

I am pretty much sold by the strong audio hardware capability of this product. Of coz it will be perfect if the soundbar can be upgraded with DV.

I am wondering what are the content available in the market with Dolby Vision. It is going quite sometime to get it mainstream since it is competing with HDR.

post #51 of 5085 Old 10-24-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
I am wondering what are the content available in the market with Dolby Vision. It is going quite sometime to get it mainstream since it is competing with HDR.
Almost all new 4k releases on Apple TV 4k are DV. Also a lot of Vudu 4k content, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.

Yes, there are ways to route it to the TV, like ARC, but the problem comes when trying to pass advanced audio formats, which ARC doesn't support.

You then have to do things like buying a HDCP 2.2 compatible HDMI switcher and then routing that through something like the HDFury AVRKey- and then hope it works. Things start getting very complicated and expensive...

post #52 of 5085 Old 10-25-2017, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Don't you think it's a little harsh to say that it's "obsolete" just because the bar doesn't support a non-mainstream video format? It supports everything else plus DV support is firmware upgradable, so Nakamichi can always add it in when DV becomes more widely used.

In fact I pre-ordered my Ultra 9.2 bar because of how it makes most soundbars look obsolete from a hardware point of view (2 subs, 4 rears, 18 speaker drivers, etc.).

Quote:
There's no excuse for a $1k+ product coming from a company like Nakamichi which doesn't have its own TVs to promote.
For a product that comes with so much hardware and only costs $1k+, I actually think there is incredible value. There will always be people who are not satisfied. I will be receiving mine soon and look forward to testing it. Hope to see some professional reviews of the bar soon.
Micarina likes this.
post #53 of 5085 Old 10-25-2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsLover View Post
Don't you think it's a little harsh to say that it's "obsolete" just because the bar doesn't support a non-mainstream video format? It supports everything else plus DV support is firmware upgradable, so Nakamichi can always add it in when DV becomes more widely used.

In fact I pre-ordered my Ultra 9.2 bar because of how it makes most soundbars look obsolete from a hardware point of view (2 subs, 4 rears, 18 speaker drivers, etc.).

For a product that comes with so much hardware and only costs $1k+, I actually think there is incredible value. There will always be people who are not satisfied. I will be receiving mine soon and look forward to testing it. Hope to see some professional reviews of the bar soon.
No, it's not harsh. Being that the standards are so quick to change, they could at least support the newest ones (DV is standard- Apple supports it, and that says a lot), or at least say if it will with a firmware update.

post #54 of 5085 Old 10-25-2017, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quick question: If DD+ does not pass through the ARC of the TV to soundbar, does it just "downgrade" to regular DD or not play audio at all?

Kev
post #55 of 5085 Old 10-25-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
No, it's not harsh. Being that the standards are so quick to change, they could at least support the newest ones (DV is standard- Apple supports it, and that says a lot), or at least say if it will with a firmware update.

I was checking out the new ~$1k Sony Dolby Atmos soundbar and it doesn’t come with Dolby Vision. It seems like the manufacturers are still deciding on either HDR10 or Dolby Vision.

Well you are right that the standard are changing so quickly. the lifespan could be very short and in fact we might even skip pass some of them.

I guess although it is upgradable via firmware but they don’t want to make any empty promise to upset the users which isn’t a bad thing.

I’m also looking forward to the reviews of this soundbar before i make my purchase.

DaveMatthewsLover likes this.

post #56 of 5085 Old 10-25-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK KO View Post
Quick question: If DD+ does not pass through the ARC of the TV to soundbar, does it just "downgrade" to regular DD or not play audio at all?

Kev
DD+ is built onto the DD signal to maintain backward compatibility, so if your device is not capable of DD+ then it should play regular DD.
post #57 of 5085 Old 10-25-2017, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
DD+ is built onto the DD signal to maintain backward compatibility, so if your device is not capable of DD+ then it should play regular DD.
Thank you for your prompt answer and just to clarify it will downgrade to DD 5.1, not DD 2.0, correct?

Kev
post #58 of 5085 Old 10-25-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
I was checking out the new ~$1k Sony Dolby Atmos soundbar and it doesn’t come with Dolby Vision. It seems like the manufacturers are still deciding on either HDR10 or Dolby Vision.

Well you are right that the standard are changing so quickly. the lifespan could be very short and in fact we might even skip pass some of them.

I guess although it is upgradable via firmware but they don’t want to make any empty promise to upset the users which isn’t a bad thing.

I’m also looking forward to the reviews of this soundbar before i make my purchase.

I thought the Sony Atmos soundbar supported Dolby Vision? I know the Samsung one doesn't, but that makes sense because their TV's don't support it.

This all gets very confusing. As I said- I planned on purchasing a Vizio P65, which has DV, so it would be very frustrating to me if after spending >$1k I have to invest hundreds of dollars more just to pass DV. I also have a Sony wireless headphone setup, so I'd need to buy an AVRKey just to pass the HDMI audio to that.

Now it's getting expensive....

post #59 of 5085 Old 10-25-2017, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK KO View Post
Thank you for your prompt answer and just to clarify it will downgrade to DD 5.1, not DD 2.0, correct?

Kev
It doesn't downgrade it.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...ital-plus.html
post #60 of 5085 Old 10-25-2017, 10:19 PM

Now I'm considering just keeping my current receiver setup, buying a wireless rear speaker transmitter and subwoofer.

Might be better in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page