Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1258Likes

post #61 of 4962 Old 10-26-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
so when can we expect a pro review of either the Ultra or Elite models ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4962 Old 10-26-2017, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
so when can we expect a pro review of either the Ultra or Elite models ?
That's something I would love to see too.
post #63 of 4962 Old 10-27-2017, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsLover View Post
The rep I'm interacting with said he'd mention DV support to the techs.

I just asked if they gave out any review samples.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 4962 Old 10-28-2017, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nakamichi USA tells me on on Facebook that Ultra 9.2 will be up on Amazon before Black Friday...
post #65 of 4962 Old 10-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I am actually considering the 7.2 for my bedroom, to replace my current budget system. It honestly is a little bit of GAS, though, because the bedroom system sounds just fine. It is actually a Logitech Z5500 (bought in 2005 for my office, oddly enough) and for a little extra beef, I cannibalized my four JBL N24's and my N-Center from the living room when I upgraded to a genuine home theater.

Right now, the only thing I am using from the Logitech system is the sub, remote, and the little mini-receiver or interface, whatever you want to call it. The Z5500 sounds really nice with the 5 JBL's replacing the four surrounds and the center.

I actually like the idea of a wireless Sub that powers the rear speakers, because right now I am running speaker wires to the rear of my long bedroom to do the two rears. Rear subs are ideal because I would place them close to the rear speakers. Not only that, but I don't have to worry as much about the volume of the sub with this system as I do now, since the subs for the Nakamichi would be against the wall that faces my driveway, as opposed to now, where the sub for the Z5500 is jutted against the wall in a semi-detached house where my attached-neightbor's bedroom is literally right behind it.

Everything I heard about both the 7.2 and 9.2 is overwhelmingly positive.
DaveMatthewsLover likes this.
post #66 of 4962 Old 10-30-2017, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
I am actually considering the 7.2 for my bedroom, to replace my current budget system. It honestly is a little bit of GAS, though, because the bedroom system sounds just fine. It is actually a Logitech Z5500 (bought in 2005 for my office, oddly enough) and for a little extra beef, I cannibalized my four JBL N24's and my N-Center from the living room when I upgraded to a genuine home theater.

Right now, the only thing I am using from the Logitech system is the sub, remote, and the little mini-receiver or interface, whatever you want to call it. The Z5500 sounds really nice with the 5 JBL's replacing the four surrounds and the center.

I actually like the idea of a wireless Sub that powers the rear speakers, because right now I am running speaker wires to the rear of my long bedroom to do the two rears. Rear subs are ideal because I would place them close to the rear speakers. Not only that, but I don't have to worry as much about the volume of the sub with this system as I do now, since the subs for the Nakamichi would be against the wall that faces my driveway, as opposed to now, where the sub for the Z5500 is jutted against the wall in a semi-detached house where my attached-neightbor's bedroom is literally right behind it.

Everything I heard about both the 7.2 and 9.2 is overwhelmingly positive.
It sounds like you are in quite a bit of dilemma. haha...

nonetheless, if you are keen on upgrading your system with dtsX and dolby audio (z5500 doesn't come with dolby and dts), you can consider for this upgrade.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #67 of 4962 Old 10-30-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsLover View Post
We are waiting for that. Hope to see it soon.

Meanwhile, the one and only review for Elite 7.2 on amazon looks really promising. Cant wait to see more reviews coming.

Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #68 of 4962 Old 10-30-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
I thought the Sony Atmos soundbar supported Dolby Vision? I know the Samsung one doesn't, but that makes sense because their TV's don't support it.

This all gets very confusing. As I said- I planned on purchasing a Vizio P65, which has DV, so it would be very frustrating to me if after spending >$1k I have to invest hundreds of dollars more just to pass DV. I also have a Sony wireless headphone setup, so I'd need to buy an AVRKey just to pass the HDMI audio to that.

Now it's getting expensive....
I was checking the Sony website twice but I can't find any part of it mentioning about Dolby Vision is available. Let me know you if you manage to find it. Would be good for us to know.

post #69 of 4962 Old 10-30-2017, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
It was added on the Sony in a firmware update.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-d...os_group_id=18
post #70 of 4962 Old 10-30-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

any concerns with using the Ultra (or Elite) in a room with high ceiling (14ft) ? or is that not as big of a concern with DTS:X and having rear speakers?
post #71 of 4962 Old 10-30-2017, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
any concerns with using the Ultra (or Elite) in a room with high ceiling (14ft) ? or is that not as big of a concern with DTS:X and having rear speakers?
I'm pretty sure there won't be any concerns. To produce DTS:X content, systems are not required to have upfiring speakers. According to the DTS:X website, the technology is very flexible in how it can make the audio cater to your speaker setup to produce the desired DTS:X experience. Together with the rear speakers of Ultra (or Elite), I think these systems will be even more robust in accurately reproducing height effects, especially those from the back of the movie scene.

From my understanding, a high ceiling will be more of a concern for a Dolby Atmos system because its upfiring speakers rely on the ceiling to create the simulated height sound effects.
post #72 of 4962 Old 10-31-2017, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I have a question, I just received and installed my 7.2 Nakamichi Sound bar (Don't expect an opinion from me, first sound bar I've ever owned!).

Anyways, I'm a little confused on a few things, my setup is mostly for gaming, so of course I'm looking to get the best sound and Video quality out of my PS4 Pro games.

So I followed instructions on connecting the Sound bar via HDMI to my B7 LG TV.

What is the difference of leaving the PS4 connected directly to my TV instead of connecting it through the Sound Bar?

Also, when I go to PS4 Pro Audio Settings, I pick HDMI OUT, and Linear PCM, this is the only way I can get the rear speakers to work. If I pick DTS or Dolby, I only get sound from the Bar.

Anyone knows what the correct way or best way to hook this up to get the best out of your games?

Thank you!
post #73 of 4962 Old 11-01-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioSH View Post
Hello,

I have a question, I just received and installed my 7.2 Nakamichi Sound bar (Don't expect an opinion from me, first sound bar I've ever owned!).

Anyways, I'm a little confused on a few things, my setup is mostly for gaming, so of course I'm looking to get the best sound and Video quality out of my PS4 Pro games.

What is the difference of leaving the PS4 connected directly to my TV instead of connecting it through the Sound Bar?

Also, when I go to PS4 Pro Audio Settings, I pick HDMI OUT, and Linear PCM, this is the only way I can get the rear speakers to work. If I pick DTS or Dolby, I only get sound from the Bar.

Anyone knows what the correct way or best way to hook this up to get the best out of your games?

Thank you!
If you are plugged in through ARC of your TV it has to be able to bitstream the signal to work properly. Look in your TV's audio settings to see if you have bitstream/passthrough settings turned on.

post #74 of 4962 Old 11-01-2017, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioSH View Post
Hello,

Thank you!
Try this, I have a 7.1 and waiting for my 9.2
https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.com/playstation
post #75 of 4962 Old 11-01-2017, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

9.2 is reaching me soon!

So I just received this email from Nakamichi telling me that my Ultra 9.2 soundbar has already reached the US port. Anyone else who preordered it received it?

"Dear Nakamichi Fans,

Thanks for your support of our most ambitious launch of the company in recent years, the Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 DTS:X, the industry’s new reference in BASS and SURROUND IMMERSIVENESS for soundbars. The container arrived at the Long Beach Port today. It will take a few days to clear customs. Our plan is to ship them out next week or as soon as we can get our hands on them. The soundbar will be coming to you via UPS and will require a signature. It weights 73 pounds, do not try to carry this by yourself!!!!

Here are a few exciting things that will be coming up:
-Product will be available on Amazon, Best Buy and Walmart later in the month at $1199, $100 higher than the preorder price with only a one year warranty. Early bird catches the worm 😉
-We are expecting professional reviews from Audioholics and AVS Forums, two online authorities on high performance audio gear. Here’s a preview when Audioholics saw it at our private demo back in Jan 2017.
http://www.audioholics.com/soundbar-...e-9.2-soundbar
-In Jan 2018, we will be conducting Listening Battles for the Best Soundbar in the world at CES Las Vegas and San Francisco (hosted by San Francisco Audiophile Society) between the Shockwafe Ultra, the Creative Sonic Carrier, Sony HTS5000 Atmos soundbar and perhaps some others. Will share link with more information later and would love to see you there!!
https://us.creative.com/soniccarrier/
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sound-bars/ht-st5000

PS: 9.2 brochure attached"

I guess I should be receiving it really soon now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9.2 data sheet.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2308648  
PyramidHead and epicoled like this.
post #76 of 4962 Old 11-01-2017, 02:15 PM

They're sending one to iMagic.

Unfortunately the closing date on my new apt was pushed back into next year so don't need this right now. I'm going to cancel my preorder and see how things play out over the upcoming months.

post #77 of 4962 Old 11-02-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

good news DML

any word from Nakamichi on how the Ultra/Elite units will handle Atmos soundtracks? will it be converted to DTS:X ?
or would we not be able to play the Atmos soundtracks from UHD/BD discs because this player can't decode it ?
post #78 of 4962 Old 11-06-2017, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

So while I wait for my preordered 9.2 soundbar to arrive, I was curious to see how its smaller brother (the 7.2) was doing since it was launched a few weeks ago. Can see that there are a couple of reviews of it now on amazon.

The latest one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B01N7WSVON

People seem to be loving it so far.
post #79 of 4962 Old 11-06-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Sent the following to Nakamichi earlier today:

Message: Had a question regarding your upcoming Shockwafe 9.2 System...how will this system handle Dolby Atmos audio streams? Will the Elite 9.2 be able to convert the Atmos stream to 3D immersive DTS:X audio or will it simply not play Atmos audio at all? This is of concern to me because 24 out of the 30 4K UHD Blu-ray’s I own have Atmos only immersive audio tracks. Not sure I want to spend over a thousand on a new immersive sound bar system if I can’t get immersive audio on 80% of my 4K discs! Thanks in advance for your time....

Just got the following reply from Ray at Nakamichi:

Hi Rick,

Good question. The Elite will be able to playback Atmos content. The DTS Neural:X technology will upmix the content into a 9.2 environment. Audioholics is in the process of reviewing the unit which is expected to be out sometime this month. Pretty sure they will be doing a Atmos test run on the 9.2 system.

Thanks
Ray

Got my reply back from them in less than an hour...definitely liking this company so far!

What do you guys think of the DTS Neural:X approach to handling Atmos streams?

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
post #80 of 4962 Old 11-07-2017, 04:06 PM

You can send them messages on their facebook page, they're pretty quick to respond. I had some very informative chats with a Nakamichi rep.

When I get my apartment all set up Nakamichi is high on my list just for their support alone.

post #81 of 4962 Old 11-09-2017, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
9.2 Being shipped by UPS

Hello All,

I am new here,Just an update on my 9.2 ultra order. Nakamichi is currently shipping them.
I received an email yesterday that said they are shipped and will be delivered on Monday.

Thanks,
Ram
DaveMatthewsLover likes this.
post #82 of 4962 Old 11-09-2017, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammohan4u View Post
Hello All,

I am new here,Just an update on my 9.2 ultra order. Nakamichi is currently shipping them.
I received an email yesterday that said they are shipped and will be delivered on Monday.

Thanks,
Ram
Me too. According to UPS mine is going to delivered on friday!
post #83 of 4962 Old 11-09-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Ok so I just have a question or 2 is anyone has already received theirs specifically the 7.1 pro. On the satellites it appears they connect via an rca cable to the sub, is it just a standard RCA cable? The way my bedroom is set up I would have to run around the room on one side to mount the sattelite speakers. Running up from my where my equipment is and along the 2 walls to get behind me very well may be more that 26 feet, so if I needed to extend the able could I just use a male to male rca connector and add an additional length of cable? Second on connections, does this do full hdmi pass through? i have my tv, a 60" 4K vizio set and my cable box, I am fine running optical from the tv to the soundbar for tv, I can get 5.1 from netflix there, but from my blu ray player can I connect it to the soundbar and then the soundbar to the tv to take advantage of 7.1?

EDIT

I got in touch with Nakamichi the satellites, at least on the 7.1 pro but I would also assume on the 7.2 and 9.2 use a standard RCA cable.

Last edited by liffie420; 11-09-2017 at 11:23 AM.
post #84 of 4962 Old 11-09-2017, 09:24 AM

The 9.2 is available on Amazon now. Even though I don't need it at the moment I'm looking forward to the AVS review.

post #85 of 4962 Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Talking 9.2 impressions

Well, since nobody else has given any impressions of the 9.2 system, I guess I'll jump in and give my thoughts, having been able to play around with it last night for a few hours. Just for a bit of reference, I've been using my built in TV speakers for the last 5 years since I got rid of my old system before my daughter was born. My previous system was a Paradigm Studio 60 v.5/cc-570/Hsu VTF 2.3 system with an Anthem receiver in an acoustically treated room. It was a very nice sounding system, but unfortunately had to go to pay for the new house and all that fun stuff. I've been suffering without decent sound ever since. When I saw this thread about the 9.2 DTS:X system and started reading reviews of the previous 7.1 system and seeing how active Nakamichi was as far as answering questions and actually giving real specs for their speakers, I decided to gamble and pre-order the 9.2. I have to say that so far it is actually even better than I was hoping it would be. I'm seriously impressed.

System specs:
LG 65B6 OLED
Nvidia Shield w/ External Hard drive using Kodi to stream all my ripped blu rays
Xbox One S for UHD Blu Rays
PS4 Pro for games
Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTS:X

I currently have it setup in the 9.2 configuration. I originally had the speaker placement how Nakamichi recommends in their diagram, with one Subwoofer on each side of the couch. I had mine behind the couch with one on each corner. Surrounds and Rears are all mounted on some cheap Amazon speaker stands that I think I'll be replacing soon. I was not initially pleased with the sound of the bass with this sub placement. It was overly boomy and I could only turn it up to 2 before it just sounded like generic deep bass with no tightness or definition. It sounded like my Hsu sub before I added bass traps to the room. I decided to move one sub to the other side of the room next to the TV to see if that helped. Thankfully, it made all the difference in the world. Bass was no longer muddy and felt much more evenly dispersed around the room. My biggest concern with this system as far as sound quality goes, was whether I would be satisfied with the amount of deep bass the subs produce compared to Hsu which could get down to 18hz. Well it certainly doesn't go as low as the Hsu, but it's better than I was expecting honestly. Explosions and gunshots sound fantastic. Audible bass is excellent, It just lacks a bit of that chest thump you would get with the Hsu. I'm happy with it.

As good as the bass is, I'm even more impressed by the surround speakers and the way Neural X seems to upconvert things to 9.2. Unfortunately I don't own a single DTS:X disc so all my testing is with DTS-MA, Dolby True HD and Atmos, and various other lesser audio formats (DD,AAC,AC3 etc.). I'm pleased to report that the Nakamichi performed absolutely flawlessly no matter what type of audio signal I sent it. The Atmos track on Guardians of the Galaxy 2 sounds great. Very rich, full sound with extremely active surround. I only sampled each disk for a few minutes just to see how the different mixes sound. Star Trek Beyond had a few parts where I really felt as if there was noise emanating from above me and not just around. The part where the bad guy is loading the captured Enterprise crew onto his ship has some very cool overhead sounds as enemy ships fly around. Based upon my very brief listening, I'm very pleased with how this thing is handling Atmos soundtracks. DTS-MA sounds absolutely incredible. The opening scene of The Revenant when the camera is slowly moving over the stream and you are just surrounded by the sound of running water and birds chirping from different speakers. It really made me realize how much I had been missing having a nice surround setup. The Force Awakens DTS-MA also sounded fantastic. I really can't say enough about how pleased I am with the way this thing has handled all the audio formats I've tried. Netflix, Youtube, Google Play Music. They all sound great. No Lip Sync issues. nothing.

Now that I've gushed about everything I love about this thing, I have to mention the one thing that I am disappointed by. This has got to be the worst remote control I have ever used. Period. Unresponsive. Atrocious range. Must be pointed directly at the soundbar in order to be recognized, but most maddening of all is that it has some weird button lag issue. Lets say I'm adjusting the center channel volume with the Center + button and I set it to 6 and then don't touch anything else on the remote. A couple minutes later I want to turn up the main volume button so I press main Volume up and instead it still keeps adjusting the center channel volume at least one or two more times up to 8 before it realizes I'm pressing a completely different button and starts to turn the main volume up. Then I have to go back and turn the center volume back down. It's absolutely bizarre. This is way too nice of a soundbar to have such an awful remote. I'll be looking for remote alternatives asap. My only other big complaint is that I wish you could adjust the balance on the L/R. I'd like to turn my left surrounds up just a little bit but I haven't found a way to do it.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with this thing. Hopefully something can be done in firmware to get the remote working properly because as of now that is my only real complaint. Great job Nakamichi.
NorthJersey and PyramidHead like this.

Last edited by mattlock75; 11-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.
post #86 of 4962 Old 11-10-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 200
@mattlock75 Thanks very much for your excellent and detailed review! Were vocals clear in your opinion? I'm a little hard of hearing in the voice range and would need to beef up the midrange settings...
videohot likes this.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
post #87 of 4962 Old 11-11-2017, 09:21 AM

Happy to help Rick! Dialogue sounds really good. The Soundbar itself seems to have pretty prominent mids. Voices have much more timbre and depth than my LG B6 speakers did. You can also control the volume of the center channel which helps get the dialogue up. There is also a clear voice dsp mode on the remote but I haven't tried it yet. I think you'll be happy with it.

So, after more critical listening last night I thought the bass still sounded too boomy and undetailed in some movies even set to level 1, so I grabbed a bunch of pillows and cushions from around the house and put them behind my couch and around the subs to try to absorb some extra. It made a massive difference. Bass is tight and punchy now. I'm definitely going to be buying some bass traps to put behind my couch. If any Nakamichi reps are reading this, It would be awesome if you guys could adjust the sub volume range to allow it to be turned down even more than the current level 1 in a future firmware update please!

I also did finally run into an issue playing some audio tracks. For some reason the Nakamichi is not playing audio when I try to passthrough Dolby True HD tracks from my Nvidia Shield unless I have KODI convert them to PCM 7.1 first. It will pass all other formats. The Nakamichi has no problem playing the same True HD tracks directly off the blu ray discs via the Xbox one S. I'm still trying to figure it out. Since Kodi can decode True HD anyway it still sounds amazing but the Nakamichi shows it as PCM instead of Dolby True HD.

I still hate the remote, but everything else about this thing has been thoroughly impressive. Great job Nakamichi!
post #88 of 4962 Old 11-11-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlock75 View Post
Well, since nobody else has given any impressions of the 9.2 system, I guess I'll jump in and give my thoughts, having been able to play around with it last night for a few hours. Just for a bit of reference, I've been using my built in TV speakers for the last 5 years since I got rid of my old system before my daughter was born. My previous system was a Paradigm Studio 60 v.5/cc-570/Hsu VTF 2.3 system with an Anthem receiver in an acoustically treated room. It was a very nice sounding system, but unfortunately had to go to pay for the new house and all that fun stuff. I've been suffering without decent sound ever since. When I saw this thread about the 9.2 DTS:X system and started reading reviews of the previous 7.1 system and seeing how active Nakamichi was as far as answering questions and actually giving real specs for their speakers, I decided to gamble and pre-order the 9.2. I have to say that so far it is actually even better than I was hoping it would be. I'm seriously impressed.

System specs:
LG 65B6 OLED
Nvidia Shield w/ External Hard drive using Kodi to stream all my ripped blu rays
Xbox One S for UHD Blu Rays
PS4 Pro for games
Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTS:X

I currently have it setup in the 9.2 configuration. I originally had the speaker placement how Nakamichi recommends in their diagram, with one Subwoofer on each side of the couch. I had mine behind the couch with one on each corner. Surrounds and Rears are all mounted on some cheap Amazon speaker stands that I think I'll be replacing soon. I was not initially pleased with the sound of the bass with this sub placement. It was overly boomy and I could only turn it up to 2 before it just sounded like generic deep bass with no tightness or definition. It sounded like my Hsu sub before I added bass traps to the room. I decided to move one sub to the other side of the room next to the TV to see if that helped. Thankfully, it made all the difference in the world. Bass was no longer muddy and felt much more evenly dispersed around the room. My biggest concern with this system as far as sound quality goes, was whether I would be satisfied with the amount of deep bass the subs produce compared to Hsu which could get down to 18hz. Well it certainly doesn't go as low as the Hsu, but it's better than I was expecting honestly. Explosions and gunshots sound fantastic. Audible bass is excellent, It just lacks a bit of that chest thump you would get with the Hsu. I'm happy with it.

As good as the bass is, I'm even more impressed by the surround speakers and the way Neural X seems to upconvert things to 9.2. Unfortunately I don't own a single DTS:X disc so all my testing is with DTS-MA, Dolby True HD and Atmos, and various other lesser audio formats (DD,AAC,AC3 etc.). I'm pleased to report that the Nakamichi performed absolutely flawlessly no matter what type of audio signal I sent it. The Atmos track on Guardians of the Galaxy 2 sounds great. Very rich, full sound with extremely active surround. I only sampled each disk for a few minutes just to see how the different mixes sound. Star Trek Beyond had a few parts where I really felt as if there was noise emanating from above me and not just around. The part where the bad guy is loading the captured Enterprise crew onto his ship has some very cool overhead sounds as enemy ships fly around. Based upon my very brief listening, I'm very pleased with how this thing is handling Atmos soundtracks. DTS-MA sounds absolutely incredible. The opening scene of The Revenant when the camera is slowly moving over the stream and you are just surrounded by the sound of running water and birds chirping from different speakers. It really made me realize how much I had been missing having a nice surround setup. The Force Awakens DTS-MA also sounded fantastic. I really can't say enough about how pleased I am with the way this thing has handled all the audio formats I've tried. Netflix, Youtube, Google Play Music. They all sound great. No Lip Sync issues. nothing.

Now that I've gushed about everything I love about this thing, I have to mention the one thing that I am disappointed by. This has got to be the worst remote control I have ever used. Period. Unresponsive. Atrocious range. Must be pointed directly at the soundbar in order to be recognized, but most maddening of all is that it has some weird button lag issue. Lets say I'm adjusting the center channel volume with the Center + button and I set it to 6 and then don't touch anything else on the remote. A couple minutes later I want to turn up the main volume button so I press main Volume up and instead it still keeps adjusting the center channel volume at least one or two more times up to 8 before it realizes I'm pressing a completely different button and starts to turn the main volume up. Then I have to go back and turn the center volume back down. It's absolutely bizarre. This is way too nice of a soundbar to have such an awful remote. I'll be looking for remote alternatives asap. My only other big complaint is that I wish you could adjust the balance on the L/R. I'd like to turn my left surrounds up just a little bit but I haven't found a way to do it.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with this thing. Hopefully something can be done in firmware to get the remote working properly because as of now that is my only real complaint. Great job Nakamichi.
How about some pictures of your setup? It's hard to visualize the speaker placement from your description. I'm interested to see how the wiring configuration of it is.

post #89 of 4962 Old 11-11-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
How about some pictures of your setup? It's hard to visualize the speaker placement from your description. I'm interested to see how the wiring configuration of it is.
I'll be happy to take some when I get home from work. I just wrote up a long post with some follow up thoughts after my second night playing around with this thing, and when I hit submit it said it would be posted after moderator approval. That was about 15 minutes ago. I'm not sure if it's gone for good or what, but to answer RickD's question in case it doesn't show up, Voices sound great. Midrange seems very prominent from the soundbar itself. Center speaker has volume control and there is also a clear voice dsp mode. Dialogue seems very clear to me.
post #90 of 4962 Old 11-12-2017, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
Sent the following to Nakamichi earlier today:

Message: Had a question regarding your upcoming Shockwafe 9.2 System...how will this system handle Dolby Atmos audio streams? Will the Elite 9.2 be able to convert the Atmos stream to 3D immersive DTS:X audio or will it simply not play Atmos audio at all? This is of concern to me because 24 out of the 30 4K UHD Blu-ray’s I own have Atmos only immersive audio tracks. Not sure I want to spend over a thousand on a new immersive sound bar system if I can’t get immersive audio on 80% of my 4K discs! Thanks in advance for your time....

Just got the following reply from Ray at Nakamichi:

Hi Rick,

Good question. The Elite will be able to playback Atmos content. The DTS Neural:X technology will upmix the content into a 9.2 environment. Audioholics is in the process of reviewing the unit which is expected to be out sometime this month. Pretty sure they will be doing a Atmos test run on the 9.2 system.

Thanks
Ray

Got my reply back from them in less than an hour...definitely liking this company so far!

What do you guys think of the DTS Neural:X approach to handling Atmos streams?
Hi Rick-

Have an Elite 7.1 system and it truly feels like our newest local cinema. It’s my understanding that Atmos soundtracks are played back in Dolby True Audio now. I had a choice on a disk of Dolby Plus or Atmos and while Plus sounded good, the Atmos track sounded great. Regarding your other post, years have taken a toll on my ears and this vocal channel is clear and crisp. Unlike my old Yamaha/Bose Acoustimass 5.1 from years ago, vocals stand out above music and explosions without sounding unnaturally louder and I have found no need to rebalance anything.
RickD_99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar