Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1331Likes

post #961 of 5323 Old 05-09-2018, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
Is there any way to turn off CEC control on the Nakamichi Shockwafe systems? It looks like my 9.2 system is causing problems when I try to play back CDs via the analog outputs on my Oppo 203 player...I get random audio dropouts and track skipping even when the 9.2 is in standby mode when playing CDs but when I disconnect power to the Nakamichi these playback issues disappear. I suspect that the Nakamichi is sending out HDMI shake requests which in turn is causing issues with CD playback...
I think you have to be in ARC mode, then Setup to go through the options including CEC

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 5323 Old 05-10-2018, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Very interested in the 9.2 soundbar. I had a set of Nakamichi computer speakers in the 90s that were among the best computer speakers available at the time.

A few questions:
  • Any rumors of Dolby Vision passthrough support, perhaps through a firmware update?
  • For the dipole surrounds, if I wanted to decouple them to use a pair as dedicated rear surrounds how would they connect to the wireless subwoofers? As I understand it, each subwoofer has a single RCA input from the wireless speaker. If i'm using the surrounds as separate side surround and rear surround how would the connection work?
  • If I decided not to use surrounds at all, does Nakamichi have a 5.1 or 5.2 model? From the specs, it seems like they do but perhaps it is a discontinued model?
Not sure if this is widely known but Nakamichi is releasing a 5.2 version later this month, targeted to users who can't accomodate surround speakers. Also they are at the early stage of exploring Dolby Vision pass through support, possibly via firmware update. No guarantees on this but more info could be available in the next 60 days.

The 5.2 would work better for my room but it only has the 8 inch subwoofers (same as the 7.1./7.2 models). Might go with the 9.2 to get the larger subs and try to find a way to make the surrounds work.
post #963 of 5323 Old 05-10-2018, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilbert1967 View Post
Thanks for the info here is what I did do.....earlier I read that Lone Survivor was a good audition movie, so bought it in Ultra HD with Atmos with all the settings we have been talking about set.....BUT here is the thing I went against the advice of Naka...BUT with the manual and instead of connecting the FireTV 4k to the TV which is same for it's Roku 4k built in through ARC....I connected it, the fire TV and hooked it through the HDMI 2 on the sound bar and passed video on through ARC.... bought stands separating the rear dipole putting them into 9.2 mode and fire up my side loaded Vudu app and loaded Lone Survivor 4k Atmos set to NeuralX.....

Holy Crap sounded awesome...I'd subjectively say I gained a listening volumn of 82 to 84 with it nice and loud bass 6....cross over 180mhz...movie DSP...from the normal 92 to 94.....seems like I have slight lip sync issues now though I played with it a bit but perhaps you have a clip I can use for that ?
It could possibly be placebo but hooking the FireTv to the bar....vs TV and only passing through 4k in the way the manual says but not the way my Naka email says DID improve sound quality and volume...
thats nice to dive in to figure out more and discover solutions that suit your use case. I guess the reason naka is advising customer to plug the devices to TV is to use TV to transcode the audio format to dolby digital for better compatibility.

there is a lip sync adjustment button on the remote to resolve your lip-sync problem. it is common to have audio and video out of sync issue on streaming contents.

Quote:
I wish I could go to the more simple solution or the Roku out the TV because it supports more 4k and is simpler ( I did by the sidewinder remote add on for fire tv to try to get it wife friendly ) and has Ethernet connection .....if a quality cable might help I'd try it but I don't want to throw away a ton more money ......

Man very pleased with my experience last night ......I think I'll get a memory mode setup for wife....actually she watched some Voyager today without me I need to ask her opinion on if it helped her basic shows....she didn't mine spending over 1100 on a sound bar as long as her shows have dialog but hates the added remote......
Sounds like you got the dialog issue resolved. thats great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 5323 Old 05-10-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Not sure if this is widely known but Nakamichi is releasing a 5.2 version later this month, targeted to users who can't accomodate surround speakers. Also they are at the early stage of exploring Dolby Vision pass through support, possibly via firmware update. No guarantees on this but more info could be available in the next 60 days.

The 5.2 would work better for my room but it only has the 8 inch subwoofers (same as the 7.1./7.2 models). Might go with the 9.2 to get the larger subs and try to find a way to make the surrounds work.
I guess the Naka team is formed by group of bass lovers. single soundbar with 2 subs is pretty unique in the market. I guess it makes sense for it to feature 8inch for more space saving approach.
post #965 of 5323 Old 05-10-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
I think you have to be in ARC mode, then Setup to go through the options including CEC

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
I don't think there is a way to disable cec on the soundbar itself. you can only disable the cec either on the TV or the player only.
post #966 of 5323 Old 05-10-2018, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

if they manage to give us dolby vision and atmos
this would be king of the soundbar
it's almost getting there
Micarina likes this.

LG 65 C9 OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (49-XXXX MODIFIED )
Home Theater 7.1.4 with yamaha RX3070
post #967 of 5323 Old 05-10-2018, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
And Dolby digital plus! Vl in my opinion way more important as without it most streamers are hardly usable (you have to count on your TV bitstream)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by nadavar; 05-10-2018 at 09:09 AM.
post #968 of 5323 Old 05-10-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadavar View Post
And Dolby digital plus! Very important

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Wifi would also be nice, although plugging a Chromecast in would be a workaround. Would prefer to not have to use up a HDMI input for it though.
post #969 of 5323 Old 05-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I found my problem was the NAK HDMI too...

Quote:
Thanks for the info here is what I did do.....earlier I read that Lone Survivor was a good audition movie, so bought it in Ultra HD with Atmos with all the settings we have been talking about set.....BUT here is the thing I went against the advice of Naka...BUT with the manual and instead of connecting the FireTV 4k to the TV which is same for it's Roku 4k built in through ARC....I connected it, the fire TV and hooked it through the HDMI 2 on the sound bar and passed video on through ARC.... bought stands separating the rear dipole putting them into 9.2 mode and fire up my side loaded Vudu app and loaded Lone Survivor 4k Atmos set to NeuralX.....

Holy Crap sounded awesome...I'd subjectively say I gained a listening volumn of 82 to 84 with it nice and loud bass 6....cross over 180mhz...movie DSP...from the normal 92 to 94.....seems like I have slight lip sync issues now though I played with it a bit but perhaps you have a clip I can use for that ?
It could possibly be placebo but hooking the FireTv to the bar....vs TV and only passing through 4k in the way the manual says but not the way my Naka email says DID improve sound quality and volume...

Ah and yes I had retried the firmware and reset again starting over before this FYI.....

Now the Vudu app is side loaded and has issues like I have to buy the movie on my phone then its in my library can't do it from the Fire TV..and
short connector on the Fire TV is WAY to shot to plug into the bar in a clean manner......

Can anyone recommend a good economical HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI cable maybe that would help?

Also i find it interesting that on the Naka manual or site it has Dobly Digital plus as preferred output on the FireTv this worked when it was connected to the TV HDMI input as those same instruction for my TCL have me selecting output of DD, and DTS on I guess the internal Roku which I assume controls ARC...but Digital Plus would not pass sound when set via the Fire TV connected directly to sound bar...........
To answer your previous question yes CEC is set and seems to be working and yes both times I did make sure eco off and DRC off.......

I'll say this while I guess I would need an extender Lone Survivor in true 9.2 mode NeuralX and movie DSP medium room sounded incredible ....... I wonder where im losing gain is it possible the bundled seemingly good HDMI cable from Naka is a limit doing audio vs Video via ARC?

Any tips on getting lips in sync I mean it close....my god I'm so close now.....I'm very impressed with this system just a few naggers left....it's certainly the best of which I've heard....I know it doesn't support newer audio codecs but wow until there is a Atmos solution to dethrone it at it's price point when I finally get this optimized it will be hard to beat....I almost mounted the surrounds down firing on the roof beam......

Also their cables seem cheap maybe an update for them, oh there is one new problem when I pause it now the left sub is humming.....it wasn't doing that before I went away from Dipole now the sub and surround are fairly close together......but it's only during a pause......

I wish I could go to the more simple solution or the Roku out the TV because it supports more 4k and is simpler ( I did by the sidewinder remote add on for fire tv to try to get it wife friendly ) and has Ethernet connection .....if a quality cable might help I'd try it but I don't want to throw away a ton more money ......

Man very pleased with my experience last night ......I think I'll get a memory mode setup for wife....actually she watched some Voyager today without me I need to ask her opinion on if it helped her basic shows....she didn't mine spending over 1100 on a sound bar as long as her shows have dialog but hates the added remote......

Also and I know this is all over the place the longer I have it on the more it seems to fade and I don't mean the normalizing of my ears to it I've always had....I mean it overall seems to fade....it certainly loses about 4 minimum on overall loudness when I swap from native to NueralX like it's loading the system.........

I dont know what Dolby vision is or DD plus to know if it would even pass more info for the bar to upscale but Atmos or DD plus is on almost every movie I get vs DTSX so I guess it's a little sad it support neither.....I suppose I could try the internal Roku via the TVs optical out and that would take ARC out the equation????

Thanks for any help so far and like I said I'm relearning , hooking it up directly to sound bar while inconvenient and watching lone survivor blew away the Sonos , LG and Polk systems I tried .....Sonos bass was tight but highly localized vs a .2 ...Polk was weak bass and slightly weaker sound bar for sure.....nice wireless though....Sonos had the best dialog and bar but the effects channel of the Naka really works in some scenes to mimic Atmos is my guess.......

I think most older previous quasi audiofiles would be surprised at this system when they can pump enough dialog to not muddy up the rest of the drivers and I've had fairly nice Paradigm and Klipsch reference systems when reference meant something .....lol.....
In fact if this doesn't work out I'll probably piece the Klipsch wireless or try that Paradigm bar....which was the plan till last night's viewing of Lone Survivor in 9.2 NueralX.......hehe....I'll keep that $800 extra and spend it on something else....Sonos has a great bar and sub but by the time you buy it, the sub, and 2 rears which I had your heavily invested for an old bar with optical in only still had it's app let me tune with my Android phone I might have kept it and never got to hear this.....Sonos was a bit richer but doesn't compare to Naka for immersion not even close ........
I think my issue was the NAK HDMI. When I switched from (what looks like) the included shielded HDMI to an Amazon Basics HDMI, the system came to life. I need to do some more fiddling, probably using the soundbar as the receiver instead of the TV to maximize the sound quality, I just haven't had time yet. Glad you got the results you were expecting.
post #970 of 5323 Old 05-11-2018, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4klover View Post
if they manage to give us dolby vision and atmos
this would be king of the soundbar
it's almost getting there
I don't see how giving us ATMOS would benefit our systems. The main benefit of ATMOS is getting sound from "above." Naka bars can't take advantage because they don't have up firing speakers.

IMO, DD+ would be more realistic and beneficial.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 05-11-2018 at 08:03 AM.
post #971 of 5323 Old 05-12-2018, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have the 7.2 system. Should I leave Neutral X on all the time? I've recently gotten a few movies with Atmos (Saving Private Ryan and Ragnorok) and haven't been very impressed with the audio. I understand these sound bars don't have atmos, but I would think they would sound a little better than they do.
post #972 of 5323 Old 05-12-2018, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush0024 View Post
I have the 7.2 system. Should I leave Neutral X on all the time? I've recently gotten a few movies with Atmos (Saving Private Ryan and Ragnorok) and haven't been very impressed with the audio. I understand these sound bars don't have atmos, but I would think they would sound a little better than they do.
I have always leave Nerual X ON for mine.
Try to experiment the placement of the subs, my subs for the 9.2 are much closer to the TV and it makes a huge difference.
post #973 of 5323 Old 05-12-2018, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
I reached out to Nakamichi a while back and they said Neutral X is best.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #974 of 5323 Old 05-13-2018, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
I have always leave Nerual X ON for mine.
Try to experiment the placement of the subs, my subs for the 9.2 are much closer to the TV and it makes a huge difference.
My couch is about 8 feet from the tv with both subs next to it. Is that too far back?

So with neutral x on and watching a atmos movie, what exactly does it decode it too? On mine it will flash Dolby D. Is that normal?
post #975 of 5323 Old 05-13-2018, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
My couch is about 8 feet from the tv with both subs next to it. Is that too far back?

So with neutral x on and watching a atmos movie, what exactly does it decode it too? On mine it will flash Dolby D. Is that normal?
On the Dolby side of the soundbar, it just have the older Dolby Digital 5.1 standard (converts Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos content to that core track) so yes.

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 5.1.2 Atmos/DTS:X) | Xbox One X | Amazon Fire Stick 4K
post #976 of 5323 Old 05-14-2018, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Dolby D is good.
Every room is different and you really have to experiment pushing the subs to the front.
post #977 of 5323 Old 05-14-2018, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Black Panther 4K Audio review

The first review of the Black Panther 4K UHD is out from HomeTheaterForum.com and it doesn’t sound all that encouraging for the audio tracks. Why, I wonder, are studios pushing Atmos so heavily when the vast majority of living rooms are never going to have the proper speaker array? When you follow the money, does anyone know to where it leads?? They should at least put DTS on these disks too. The comparison with the ‘Last Jedi disk dissuades me from purchasing. May as well just rent with the awful 5.1. Anyhow, here’s an excerpt from hometheaterforum.com review:
“As with the last few 4k UHD Blu-ray releases from Disney, Black Panther contains both a Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 track (which is Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible) and a redundant Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 track. And once again, as with Thor: Ragnarok and Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Atmos track sounds as if it is the same mix used theatrically and has not been optimized for home theater use. This means it excels at very high volumes, but can sound a bit flat or underwhelming at lower volumes, resulting in anemic LFE and adequate use of surrounds and heights. The track simply rocks at levels closer to reference. The redundant Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 track, though, suffers from sounding somewhat flat, possibly from its lossy bitrate of 1.0 Mbps.”
post #978 of 5323 Old 05-15-2018, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
The first review of the Black Panther 4K UHD is out from HomeTheaterForum.com and it doesn’t sound all that encouraging for the audio tracks. Why, I wonder, are studios pushing Atmos so heavily when the vast majority of living rooms are never going to have the proper speaker array? When you follow the money, does anyone know to where it leads?? They should at least put DTS on these disks too. The comparison with the ‘Last Jedi disk dissuades me from purchasing. May as well just rent with the awful 5.1. Anyhow, here’s an excerpt from hometheaterforum.com review:
“As with the last few 4k UHD Blu-ray releases from Disney, Black Panther contains both a Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 track (which is Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible) and a redundant Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 track. And once again, as with Thor: Ragnarok and Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Atmos track sounds as if it is the same mix used theatrically and has not been optimized for home theater use. This means it excels at very high volumes, but can sound a bit flat or underwhelming at lower volumes, resulting in anemic LFE and adequate use of surrounds and heights. The track simply rocks at levels closer to reference. The redundant Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 track, though, suffers from sounding somewhat flat, possibly from its lossy bitrate of 1.0 Mbps.”

did you post this in the wrong thread?
post #979 of 5323 Old 05-15-2018, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hi, North Jersey-

No, the post falls in line with the question of whether we should spend money on movies that do no justice to our Nakamichi sound bars. This being such an important movie, many would purchase it expecting it to show off our systems. Blue-ray.com also just came out with a similar dismal review of its audio track.

Last edited by DavAbq; 05-15-2018 at 05:31 PM.
post #980 of 5323 Old 05-15-2018, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I think that this will be the new normal. Atmos first and DTS-X second have won the war. If you are producing a 4k Blu-ray you will focus on these formats and neglect the lesser formats. Nakamichi will have to support atmos my natively ultimately.

I concur with you on the volume issue. I remember telling to myself that the sound volume in the theaters is seriously higher than it used to be. If i listened at this levels at home I would lose my hearings.

It is also likely that the speakers, amp and the acoustic of the room also plays a role. I listened to a kef based atmos system at normal volume and to this day I never had a better experience ( the setup was over the top to day the least).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #981 of 5323 Old 05-15-2018, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhenta View Post
I remember telling myself that the sound volume in the theaters is seriously higher than it used to be.
It has been for a good 10+ years now. In my experience, regulated settings like IMAX and Dolby Cinema set levels more or less correctly, but go to Random Local Cinema and you'll get your eardrums blown out. That seems to be what many people equate with "the movie theater experience".

Given the wide variation between theaters, not to mention the wide variation between home theater audio setups, I don't think there's any meaning to the idea of "reference audio". You could mix a disc's audio just about any way you like and make an argument for it being correct. I have some standard settings on my (old) 7.1 Pro that are generally OK, but I never watch an action movie without doing a sound check first. Find some relatively loud scenes, find the volume level needed to hit around 75db on the sound meter at listening position, then listen to some more scenes to hear if the surrounds, sub, and center levels seem right. I often bump the rears up or down a notch or two (on the old 7.1's 1-10 scale) and sometimes bump the center or sub up a notch. Then give the overall volume one more tick up (0-30 scale on the old 7.1) for a tiny bit more oomph. Takes about 10 minutes to do right, but I've always been extremely happy with the results I get from my $500 bar.
post #982 of 5323 Old 05-17-2018, 12:26 PM

Nakamichi APP??

Does anyone know of a plan for Nakamichi to roll out an app for the Shockwafe series? The UI between the (let's face it, kind of buggy) remote and the (not exceptionally easy to read) Soundbar display is nopt awesome. Given how tech forward this soundbar is, it'd be great to have an app like I'm used to from my old Onkyo AVR that I could actually see all of the settings without having to scroll through the display. I still feel like I should be getting a better experience from this setup (much better after the cord swap a week or so ago) but an app would be terrific. I suppose that not being WiFi enabled probably kills that option, but Bluetooth may be a possibility??? I do see that they have an app on the AppStore, but it's in Chinese and looks like it may map to their car audio??
post #983 of 5323 Old 05-17-2018, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctowner35 View Post
Does anyone know of a plan for Nakamichi to roll out an app for the Shockwafe series?
I've never heard of anything like that. Seems impossible without a new hardware version that includes wifi. It also strikes me as the kind of thing that needlessly drives up costs. Once you've got your settings dialed in, how much do you really need to tweak them? I love the value of the low end of Nakamichi's line - apps are the kind of thing that I don't think they need.
atfree likes this.
post #984 of 5323 Old 05-21-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
I've never heard of anything like that. Seems impossible without a new hardware version that includes wifi. It also strikes me as the kind of thing that needlessly drives up costs. Once you've got your settings dialed in, how much do you really need to tweak them? I love the value of the low end of Nakamichi's line - apps are the kind of thing that I don't think they need.
I agree; once it's dialed in, I probably don't need the app; what I'm looking for is a heads-up display of the settings I do have on, so that I can confirm that I have everything the way I want it, and that my lack of complete satisfaction isn't because I've fat fingered a button. I'm going from a 5 year old Onkyo THX HTIB that sounded awesome and was extremely easy to set up with an app and heads up menus that made it easy to make sure I had things where I wanted them. So far, the soundbar is just "a'iight for me, dog" to resurrect the old Randy Jackson, American Idol cliche'... I'm not giving up on it, as I will admit, with three young, active boys, I haven't had time to geek out with it as I would like, but I did learn how easy it is to turn the surround sound OFF, which lead to an hour of frustration a while back. I would think that with ARC, they could at least have a heads up display for menus like they have with volume control that would help me be able to have a dashboard view of my settings instead of waiting for the LED display to show me what I don't always believe due to the semi-glitchiness of the remote... Is there a menu option that would push that kind of info to an on-screen display?
post #985 of 5323 Old 05-21-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question for 9.2 owners. I realize this wouldn't be optimal for surround but has anyone tried placing one or both of the surround dipoles on the front soundstage? The reason I ask is that I am very interested in the 9.2 but my room is not very accomodating for side surrounds. I could opt for the upcoming 5.2 but I am more interested in the larger 10 inch subwoofers that come with the 9.2 version. Or I could get the 9.2 and not setup the surrounds but that would be a waste of money IMO.

I guess the question within the question is how much of a bass upgrade is it to go from dual 8" to dual 10"?
post #986 of 5323 Old 05-21-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Question for 9.2 owners. I realize this wouldn't be optimal for surround but has anyone tried placing one or both of the surround dipoles on the front soundstage? The reason I ask is that I am very interested in the 9.2 but my room is not very accomodating for side surrounds. I could opt for the upcoming 5.2 but I am more interested in the larger 10 inch subwoofers that come with the 9.2 version. Or I could get the 9.2 and not setup the surrounds but that would be a waste of money IMO.

I guess the question within the question is how much of a bass upgrade is it to go from dual 8" to dual 10"?
I have never try to place the surround speaker in front but I believe at least you probably have to mount it at the side, even the mounting position is closer to the front. And I don't think it is a good idea of not connecting the surround speakers because you will be missing out the surround signals.

10" sub upgrade -> +6db loudness, 5Hz deeper (35 to 30hz) and more headrooms
post #987 of 5323 Old 05-21-2018, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Wifi Interference

Has anyone had WiFi interference on the rear speakers?
I noticed a lot this weekend while we were watching a movie the rear speakers had quite a bit of static and interference.
I narrowed it down to our son who was sitting in the seat next to us and he was streaming YouTube and watching some shows.

I took all the electronics and removed them from our theater room and viola the sound was back to being crisp and clear and perfect. I then brought in the tablet and started streaming YouTube and again the static and breakup of audio started again. I changed the WiFi on the tablet to 2.4Ghz (From 5Ghz) and started playing a video again and this seemed to have solved that problem.

So if anyone runs into an issue of bad sounding rears (audio cuts, breakup audio and static) check surrounding 5Ghz WiFi devices.

This solved a big problem for us as I thought I had a faulty system in some ways.
post #988 of 5323 Old 05-21-2018, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctowner35 View Post
Is there a menu option that would push that kind of info to an on-screen display?
There's no OSD, but that seems like a more plausible improvement to me than an app. Even so, making the unit generate it's own video for an OSD (not just passing through anymore) is certainly something that would require appropriate hardware inside the bar. I can't see how that would happen in this hardware generation.

If you think checking settings is a pain on the new bars, try my old 7.1 Pro. It doesn't even have an alphanumeric LED, just a row of LED's that blink in various combinations to signal different things.
Micarina likes this.
post #989 of 5323 Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryunibrow View Post
Has anyone had WiFi interference on the rear speakers?
I noticed a lot this weekend while we were watching a movie the rear speakers had quite a bit of static and interference.
I narrowed it down to our son who was sitting in the seat next to us and he was streaming YouTube and watching some shows.

I took all the electronics and removed them from our theater room and viola the sound was back to being crisp and clear and perfect. I then brought in the tablet and started streaming YouTube and again the static and breakup of audio started again. I changed the WiFi on the tablet to 2.4Ghz (From 5Ghz) and started playing a video again and this seemed to have solved that problem.

So if anyone runs into an issue of bad sounding rears (audio cuts, breakup audio and static) check surrounding 5Ghz WiFi devices.

This solved a big problem for us as I thought I had a faulty system in some ways.
Thats a great info @Angryunibrow

As far as I know, there is many soundbar makers that use wireless subwoofer in their system will likely encounter such issue. I had similar problem last time with my friend's Sony soundbar. The reason we discovered, thanks to naka customer support team, is that the wifi router. if you are using 5ghz wifi at home, you may want to change the channel to different one to avoid clashing with the wireless transmission for the subs and rears.

quote from naka tech support site:
"The soundbar utilizes industry standard 5.8Ghz wireless chipset/s to communicate with the subwoofer/s. These chipset/s operate at the end of the 5.8 Ghz spectrum since 99% of the 5-Ghz Wi-Fi routers operate on 5Ghz frequencies that is right in the middle. A simple fix is to change the frequency of which your router operates."

you can read up more here on nakamichi tech support site
https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...s-interference

I noticed they are putting up more and more helpful information to help us understand things a little better. good job for the team.
post #990 of 5323 Old 05-25-2018, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
you guys heard anything about their upcoming update ?

LG 65 C9 OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (49-XXXX MODIFIED )
Home Theater 7.1.4 with yamaha RX3070
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page