AVS Forum banner

Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread

975K views 7K replies 549 participants last post by  Daverey06 
#1 ·
The 9.2 sound bar caught my eye when it was announced during CES 2017, together with the Sony htst5000.

Currently for pre-order, with another 7.2 model available.
Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX: www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-ultra-preorder
Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2 DTSX: www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-elite-preorder

I have pre-ordered the 9.2 and it is expected to be delivered in October. Will be using it with my new 65” LG 4K OLED in my 24x24 living room.

I will post opinions on it when I receive it

#3,015 ·
Everyone is out there enjoying their soundbars and atmos. Lol.

I did have an observation after the release update. Content played in my xbox one x and ps4 sound much louder when they are set to lpcm when compared to dolby digital or atmos. I'm starting to prefer this setting pure direct set dolby surround. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Also, I've noticed that it didn't always detect lpcm 7.1 and I needed to shut down and restart the bar to get it to detect the correct signal. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#3,029 ·
Hi Im new here and own 7.1 dts-x model. I just cant wait to be upgraded dolby atmos.

Anyway I do have one question with anyone who had shield tv and 7.1 dts-x system or not yet upgraded atmos yet.

When I connect shield tv to soundbar direct(hdmi2), netflix, amazon prime and google movie..all the streaming service work as pcm only.

Connect with arc it works fine.

Anybody know why?

My firmware version is 2.1
Tv is Lg 86uk6570
I did change hdmi cable 3 times so far.

I did contact nakamichi, they told me that shield tv suppose to used that way. (Use arc not direct)

But before nakamichi soundbar, I had vizio sb3651. Vizio worked great, when I connect shield tv directly to soundbar.

Anyone pleae help me understand why?

Sorry about my lousy english.
English is not my native language.

Thanx in advance.

#3,031 ·
Hi Im new here and own 7.1 dts-x model. I just cant wait to be upgraded dolby atmos.

Anyway I do have one question with anyone who had shield tv and 7.1 dts-x system or not yet upgraded atmos yet.

When I connect shield tv to soundbar direct(hdmi2), netflix, amazon prime and google movie..all the streaming service work as pcm only.

Connect with arc it works fine.

Anybody know why?

My firmware version is 2.1

Tv is Lg 86uk6570

I did change hdmi cable 3 times so far.

I did contact nakamichi, they told me that shield tv suppose to used that way. (Use arc not direct)

But before nakamichi soundbar, I had vizio sb3651. Vizio worked great, when I connect shield tv directly to soundbar.

Anyone pleae help me understand why?

Sorry about my lousy english.

English is not my native language.

Thanx in advance.
Those services use dolby digital plus and your soundbar currently doesn't support that format. The update will add support for DD plus si that you can directly connect your shield tv or other devices to the sound bar.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#3,033 ·
Has anyone wall mount the rear speakers.

Could you please let me know how to do it with the wires poking out from the speakers back.

Is there any link with pictures that I can refer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3,040 ·
I figured I'd chime in with my thoughts on the Soundwafe Ultra 9.2. Been using this system for roughly 2 weeks now. I was using a 54" Vizio 5.1 Soundbar w/ single 8" Sub before this Nakamichi.

While I thought that Vizio Soundbar was awesome, the Nakamichi is in a whole other league of sound quality. Absolutely incredible sounding with Atmos, and DD+. I'm still amazed this is a soundbar system with this small of a foot print compared to full blown home theater setups. I used to get muddy sounding vocals and just general hard to hear center channel clarity with the 54" Vizio. With the 9.2 Ultra, it's night and day difference now. I can literally catch anything and everything vocally.

I'm running both surrounds in Dipole mode on stands. The one quirk I hope Nakamichi can fix with a firmware update is the loss of audio for 3-4sec anytime you pause a movie/show. That can get annoying. Other than that though, everything has been pretty seamless. Even the 2 firmware updates I've done.

My current setup:

Vizio P75-F1
Nvidia Shield
Nakamichi 9.2 on v3.1 firmware

#3,106 ·
The one quirk I hope Nakamichi can fix with a firmware update is the loss of audio for 3-4sec anytime you pause a movie/show. That can get annoying.
Thats my only real complaint about the bar too. Well other then no Atmos over DD+ for Netflix.

Its super annoying. If you pause you need to first rewind a few seconds and then sometimes you're still late and have to rewind again. I know i know, its a minor complaint but ive owned other soundbars and this was never an issue so hopefully they can fix it in an update down the road.

#3,045 ·
For what its worth, I purchased a 9.2 refurbished unit from Nakamichi off Ebay and it is like new. All components and accessories are in the original packaging (at least as far as I can tell.) You get the same warranty so if there are issues with it you'll likely know right away, and they can take care of it for you under warranty.

#3,052 ·
No, the 2019 Shockwafe SSE bars have the same hardware as their 2018 DTS:X predecessors. The added cost is to cover the firmware R&D as well as Dolby's ATMOS/Vision licensing fees.

That's why now is a great time to buy as you're getting all of the new firmware developments & features free (today if you have the 9.2).

#3,054 ·
I have the 9.2.4 setup. Before I move I currently have to keep the speakers in dipole and keep them on each side of the soundbar. What a waste, I know. Since I have to have this config for a while what sound setting should I be choosing for movies? My current thinking is 5.1 and keep the soundbar at native. Would that work? Or could I listen in 7.1 without the audio sounding off?

#3,062 ·
I plan on getting a LG OLED B8 and was wondering if I can get Dolby Vision and Atmos from the built in Netflix app on the TV. I remember reading Atmos isn't supported via TV ARC to soundbar so wanted to double check. I'd love to be able to use the LG Netflix app instead of having to get a Nvidia Shield or Apple TV 4K.

#3,064 ·
I dont think the app from the tv to the soundbar via ARC can do atmos... but for the same price as a shield (which i have) or apple tv 4k, you could go for an xbox one s which has a UHD Blu-ray disc player in it, a hard drive, atmos support, all the apps except the ones that are apple specific, dolby vision, and the bonus of games upscaled to 4k or if you are a gamer, the xbox one x for more $$ but native 4k res on games and other x enhancements. Either way, you would plug it into the soundbar and that would process PCM up to 7.1, all DTS, and all Dolby including atmos, and arc would pass the HDR or Dolby Vision picture to the tv. You are not going to get atmos FROM the tv built in apps over ARC.

I would also highly suggest the LG C8 instead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#3,067 ·
Oh and rtings... it really is... it seems like they are phoning it in all year. Right here the lg c8 is on page like 12.5k posts. Its popular for a reason even if most posts are help me with a problem posts... the thing doesnt really have problems unless you lose the panel lottery, and you just get a replacement. That goes for all tvs, especially oled. They are kind of like plasma. BEAUTIFUL but delicate.

#3,068 ·
On my vizio sound bar I have to mess with the speaker settings on almost every movie and Directv channel to get the right audio settings. Every channel has such different levels of volume so it is annoying that the levels are all over the place. Do you guys find you are always messing with the speaker settings on the 9.2? Is the volume different on every channel you watch?
Thanks!

#3,069 ·
For those of you using Directv as a source and have audio dropout I found a way to stop that from happening.
In Directv under audio settings you can turn on or off Dolby Digital. If you leave it off the sound doesn't dropout any more on the Nakamichi 9.2.
So having Dolby on was the culprit. The bad news is now I just have PCM stereo coming from the directv.
The soundbar simulates surround sound and that seems to be ok for now until Nakamichi can figure out where the conflict is. Its less annoying than loosing sound every 15 minutes.

#3,070 ·
Need help :(

Hey,

I was running the first release of the Naka ATMOS firmware for my 9.2 device (beta v1) and I've decided to update to latest. Did all recommended steps, disconnect all cables, put thumbdrive (same as used before), etc. However it got stuck on the UPG -- message, and I'm not seeing any progress. It's being like that for the past 20+ minutes :( I don't know what to do. I know I shouldn't turn it off or anything, but it seems to be frozen.

Suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#3,074 ·
Hey,

I was running the first release of the Naka ATMOS firmware for my 9.2 device (beta v1) and I've decided to update to latest. Did all recommended steps, disconnect all cables, put thumbdrive (same as used before), etc. However it got stuck on the UPG -- message, and I'm not seeing any progress. It's being like that for the past 20+ minutes :( I don't know what to do. I know I shouldn't turn it off or anything, but it seems to be frozen.

Suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Try different usb thumbdrive. I had to try a few and it worked on my 3rd usb drive.

#3,072 ·
Anyone have this hooked up to an LG OLED? I plan on connecting all my devices directly to the soundbar and then using the TV ARC. Just wondering how you pick which device you want to use on the actual TV. If I simply stay on the ARC HDMI input on the TV would I have to change the soundbar HDMI input to the correct device?

#3,076 ·
It seems it really has to be usb 2.0. 3.0 is back compatible but it doesnt seem that is the case here. I grabbed a cheap PNY usb 2.0 and that worked fine. I either got it at best buy, walmart or delivered via Prime Now... wherever it was cheap.. the cheapest, worked fine for upgrading 7.2 to FW2.1

#3,171 ·
Haha thats a good idea but I don't think that is recommended. It is technically possible to get a pair of wireless receiver and transmitter and connect the RCA port on surround speaker and sub. but this will introduce time delay that could screw up the whole surround soundstage. You can try to place the sub closer to the surround speakers so that you don't have to run the cable from one end to another.

#3,098 · (Edited)
Turn the speakers on the side and... they upfire. Or are you referring to the soundbar- which does have some upfiring drivers.

On the rears/sides
I was under the impression (this is telephone naka support... yes i got an answer once) that they may even reccomend changing speaker orientation to upfire (on a stand or a mount), OR it should be fine at ear level too. I wouldnt know because its Feb 15 still Q1 for a month and a half and I have 7.2. Gladly I would test that, as the person on the phone at the time seemed like they may not have really had an answer but just mumbled a... something that sounded like an answer. (Lesson: Always send email to nakamichi). I havent got into it because there are two extra speakers on the 9.2 to create "the dome of sound", on the 7.2 depending on processing maybe fire them up, maybe better at ear level, and for those who fired up some or all of the 9.2 surround, whether its great or not, do a search or maybe someone will respond, but on 7.2 take away two speakers and we might get different recommendations from nakamichi and from here than 9.2. That said, I have seen people upfire all 4 speakers, 2 and none. You really have to search on this
In the end its what sounds best to you.
I would be more helpful if I even had an alpha relese of 7.2 but i think something isnt working out with 9.2 and they are enjoying pure frustration as the clock ticks. They cant sell their new wares until they make the bomb firmware. Clearly they wanted to have the 9.2 2019 out like on 1/2, 7.2 2019, 1/31-today, then deal with problems, and 7.1 being the cheapest, deal with that in late march for early April.

I am a coder and have been there, and more pressure truly leads to less productivity, breaking things by accident or on purpose with a prayer it will fix issues, but when whatever "breakthrough" happens... that all goes away and i hope and i think nakamichi hopes they are close. Because it really blows to be so close with intrrnal deadlines so they can jack up their 2019 price and you just arent there. So close. Man its miserable.