Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1305Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 5166 Old 11-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Albuquerque where YOU can crew balloons at Fiesta!
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
We are waiting for that. Hope to see it soon.

Meanwhile, the one and only review for Elite 7.2 on amazon looks really promising. Cant wait to see more reviews coming.
Hey, there. I can give you a broadcast engineers experience with the Elite 7.2.
My system after a long complicated install due to bad cables after pulling in walls adding to confusion of finding settings for my devices and a complication of turning CEC on during system setup, consists of a Samsung 82MU8000 tv connected via ARC. Comcast Xfinity X1 HD DVR, Samsung UBD-8500 UHD player and an Apple TV 4K (ATV4K) connected to the HDMI inputs of the sound bar. I won’t comment on the tv as it’s just a standard for video comparison. Starting with the best, nothing compares to a UHD disk. I won’t have a DTS:X disk until the 22nd but Guardians 2 has a choice of Dolby Plus and Atmos. Plus sounded very good, but the Atmos, as I understand it, it backwards converts to Dolby True Audio which was amazing. Our newest local cinema is a Flix Brewhouse, so my mind may be cloudy but this system made me feel as though I was in the theater. It duplicates the sound that well. Frequency response had highs and all the bass you could want. Vocals stand out somehow without seeming like yelling or just sounding too loud. And of course, the video is super. So for audio and video, UHD disk is win-win. Also easiest to set up with the sound bar. Next in line, since we are talking audio, is Comcast. Being only 5.1 of course, the surround and frequency response is as good as the source, and of course varies channel to channel. But you can get some really good audio from Comcast on this sound bar. Video, well, it’s HD cable. So it’s a win Audio, lose video. There are some tricky settings in the X1 box that can add to other tricky settings in other devices and get multiplied by bad cables. Trust me. Finally the ATV4K. Picture better than Comcast, to be expected. You’ve probably read other comments on video output settings and upcoming TVOS upgrade. Not part of this opinion piece. Audio.... well, don’t buy one for the audio. More tricky setup settings. The most obnoxious is the output selection: stereo, 5.1 or “let Apple decide best sound for you”. So I let Apple decide, and started to watch Wonder Woman. Wondering man realized Apple thinks stereo is best for me and wondered “why?”. Let half the movie play to see if it would change to surround and it didn’t. Increasingly frustrated (and very very pissed) I changed output to 5.1 and heard all the surround. Great! It’s 1999 again! There was good bass and midrange in both modes, not many highs. Reminded me of listening to XM overly compressed radio. My internet tests 98 meg, BTW, so it’s not limited bandwidth. But that’s Apple, not the sound bar. I would say ATV4K just passes in video, loses in audio. You may want to get a streaming device that will pass 7.1 audio to this sound bar. That’s my systems listening experience. Your mileage may vary. Overall, I strongly recommend the Nakamichi. It really does feel like a theater and I haven’t heard DTS:X yet.
As far as setup, I strongly suggest you don’t enable CEC links until everything has been working a couple days. Things go to sleep or get turned off and turn off other things. When you have settings problems you are trying to solve, that doesn’t help. If you have cable problems too, it gets very tiresome. My DVR was blinking about every ten minutes, for example. Ruined HDMI cable pulling it thru wall, no visible sign of damage. Luckily they are cheap. In general, remember you want bitstream video and 16 bit audio settings on your devices. Stay away from PCM. it’s not compatible. If you get a device into a mode where it won’t display or play, plug it directly into the tv which is more forgiving and eliminates many possible causes of failure. Straighten it out then move it back to the sound bar.
By the way, the remote control does have weird lag and tight aiming requirements. I think they should be replaced with ones having stronger LEDs. I did buy 50’ speaker cables from Amazon (Radio Shack RCA M-M $5.99) due to room shape. Finally, when your unit comes you may have to do a software upgrade. I was apprehensive because instructions on line are complicated and mixed the new bars with the old and wrong reference file names. Downloading was easy, expanding the .rar file easy and the actual updating from the usb drive stick was simple. BTW, the file is only a couple of megabytes so just dig that old one out of the drawer. It has to be a FAT 32 format so if you have a 2gig or larger it’s probably already formatted that way.
Enjoy your labor now, until they change the systems again.
PyramidHead likes this.
DavAbq is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 5166 Old 11-13-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NorthJersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 3,505
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
thanks for the great review @mattlock75 !!
NorthJersey is offline  
post #93 of 5166 Old 11-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
baseball0618's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chadds Ford PA
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Does the HDMI out support Dolby Vision on the 7.2?
videohot likes this.

JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB820/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos (3) B&W CWM 7.3 fronts (4) B&W CCM 7.4 surrounds
(2) B&W CCM 682 Atmos (2) JL Audio E112 subs
baseball0618 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 5166 Old 11-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlock75 View Post
Well, since nobody else has given any impressions of the 9.2 system, I guess I'll jump in and give my thoughts, having been able to play around with it last night for a few hours. Just for a bit of reference, I've been using my built in TV speakers for the last 5 years since I got rid of my old system before my daughter was born. My previous system was a Paradigm Studio 60 v.5/cc-570/Hsu VTF 2.3 system with an Anthem receiver in an acoustically treated room. It was a very nice sounding system, but unfortunately had to go to pay for the new house and all that fun stuff. I've been suffering without decent sound ever since. When I saw this thread about the 9.2 DTS:X system and started reading reviews of the previous 7.1 system and seeing how active Nakamichi was as far as answering questions and actually giving real specs for their speakers, I decided to gamble and pre-order the 9.2. I have to say that so far it is actually even better than I was hoping it would be. I'm seriously impressed.

System specs:
LG 65B6 OLED
Nvidia Shield w/ External Hard drive using Kodi to stream all my ripped blu rays
Xbox One S for UHD Blu Rays
PS4 Pro for games
Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTS:X

I currently have it setup in the 9.2 configuration. I originally had the speaker placement how Nakamichi recommends in their diagram, with one Subwoofer on each side of the couch. I had mine behind the couch with one on each corner. Surrounds and Rears are all mounted on some cheap Amazon speaker stands that I think I'll be replacing soon. I was not initially pleased with the sound of the bass with this sub placement. It was overly boomy and I could only turn it up to 2 before it just sounded like generic deep bass with no tightness or definition. It sounded like my Hsu sub before I added bass traps to the room. I decided to move one sub to the other side of the room next to the TV to see if that helped. Thankfully, it made all the difference in the world. Bass was no longer muddy and felt much more evenly dispersed around the room. My biggest concern with this system as far as sound quality goes, was whether I would be satisfied with the amount of deep bass the subs produce compared to Hsu which could get down to 18hz. Well it certainly doesn't go as low as the Hsu, but it's better than I was expecting honestly. Explosions and gunshots sound fantastic. Audible bass is excellent, It just lacks a bit of that chest thump you would get with the Hsu. I'm happy with it.

As good as the bass is, I'm even more impressed by the surround speakers and the way Neural X seems to upconvert things to 9.2. Unfortunately I don't own a single DTS:X disc so all my testing is with DTS-MA, Dolby True HD and Atmos, and various other lesser audio formats (DD,AAC,AC3 etc.). I'm pleased to report that the Nakamichi performed absolutely flawlessly no matter what type of audio signal I sent it. The Atmos track on Guardians of the Galaxy 2 sounds great. Very rich, full sound with extremely active surround. I only sampled each disk for a few minutes just to see how the different mixes sound. Star Trek Beyond had a few parts where I really felt as if there was noise emanating from above me and not just around. The part where the bad guy is loading the captured Enterprise crew onto his ship has some very cool overhead sounds as enemy ships fly around. Based upon my very brief listening, I'm very pleased with how this thing is handling Atmos soundtracks. DTS-MA sounds absolutely incredible. The opening scene of The Revenant when the camera is slowly moving over the stream and you are just surrounded by the sound of running water and birds chirping from different speakers. It really made me realize how much I had been missing having a nice surround setup. The Force Awakens DTS-MA also sounded fantastic. I really can't say enough about how pleased I am with the way this thing has handled all the audio formats I've tried. Netflix, Youtube, Google Play Music. They all sound great. No Lip Sync issues. nothing.

Now that I've gushed about everything I love about this thing, I have to mention the one thing that I am disappointed by. This has got to be the worst remote control I have ever used. Period. Unresponsive. Atrocious range. Must be pointed directly at the soundbar in order to be recognized, but most maddening of all is that it has some weird button lag issue. Lets say I'm adjusting the center channel volume with the Center + button and I set it to 6 and then don't touch anything else on the remote. A couple minutes later I want to turn up the main volume button so I press main Volume up and instead it still keeps adjusting the center channel volume at least one or two more times up to 8 before it realizes I'm pressing a completely different button and starts to turn the main volume up. Then I have to go back and turn the center volume back down. It's absolutely bizarre. This is way too nice of a soundbar to have such an awful remote. I'll be looking for remote alternatives asap. My only other big complaint is that I wish you could adjust the balance on the L/R. I'd like to turn my left surrounds up just a little bit but I haven't found a way to do it.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with this thing. Hopefully something can be done in firmware to get the remote working properly because as of now that is my only real complaint. Great job Nakamichi.
Just received my 9.2 and cant wait to set it up as soon as possible. Unfortunately I am currently out of town for business.

I noticed there is some advanced adjustment for the surround effect at the bottom part of the remote. Not sure whether it does what you are looking for but im pretty sure that it can adjust level of surround channels and rear surround channels. This is probably the most flexible soundbar system in terms of audio adjustment in the market right now.

Will post my review soon as I get back home to set this baby up.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
Micarina is offline  
post #95 of 5166 Old 11-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
Hey, there. I can give you a broadcast engineers experience with the Elite 7.2.
My system after a long complicated install due to bad cables after pulling in walls adding to confusion of finding settings for my devices and a complication of turning CEC on during system setup, consists of a Samsung 82MU8000 tv connected via ARC. Comcast Xfinity X1 HD DVR, Samsung UBD-8500 UHD player and an Apple TV 4K (ATV4K) connected to the HDMI inputs of the sound bar. I won’t comment on the tv as it’s just a standard for video comparison. Starting with the best, nothing compares to a UHD disk. I won’t have a DTS:X disk until the 22nd but Guardians 2 has a choice of Dolby Plus and Atmos. Plus sounded very good, but the Atmos, as I understand it, it backwards converts to Dolby True Audio which was amazing. Our newest local cinema is a Flix Brewhouse, so my mind may be cloudy but this system made me feel as though I was in the theater. It duplicates the sound that well. Frequency response had highs and all the bass you could want. Vocals stand out somehow without seeming like yelling or just sounding too loud. And of course, the video is super. So for audio and video, UHD disk is win-win. Also easiest to set up with the sound bar. Next in line, since we are talking audio, is Comcast. Being only 5.1 of course, the surround and frequency response is as good as the source, and of course varies channel to channel. But you can get some really good audio from Comcast on this sound bar. Video, well, it’s HD cable. So it’s a win Audio, lose video. There are some tricky settings in the X1 box that can add to other tricky settings in other devices and get multiplied by bad cables. Trust me. Finally the ATV4K. Picture better than Comcast, to be expected. You’ve probably read other comments on video output settings and upcoming TVOS upgrade. Not part of this opinion piece. Audio.... well, don’t buy one for the audio. More tricky setup settings. The most obnoxious is the output selection: stereo, 5.1 or “let Apple decide best sound for you”. So I let Apple decide, and started to watch Wonder Woman. Wondering man realized Apple thinks stereo is best for me and wondered “why?”. Let half the movie play to see if it would change to surround and it didn’t. Increasingly frustrated (and very very pissed) I changed output to 5.1 and heard all the surround. Great! It’s 1999 again! There was good bass and midrange in both modes, not many highs. Reminded me of listening to XM overly compressed radio. My internet tests 98 meg, BTW, so it’s not limited bandwidth. But that’s Apple, not the sound bar. I would say ATV4K just passes in video, loses in audio. You may want to get a streaming device that will pass 7.1 audio to this sound bar. That’s my systems listening experience. Your mileage may vary. Overall, I strongly recommend the Nakamichi. It really does feel like a theater and I haven’t heard DTS:X yet.
As far as setup, I strongly suggest you don’t enable CEC links until everything has been working a couple days. Things go to sleep or get turned off and turn off other things. When you have settings problems you are trying to solve, that doesn’t help. If you have cable problems too, it gets very tiresome. My DVR was blinking about every ten minutes, for example. Ruined HDMI cable pulling it thru wall, no visible sign of damage. Luckily they are cheap. In general, remember you want bitstream video and 16 bit audio settings on your devices. Stay away from PCM. it’s not compatible. If you get a device into a mode where it won’t display or play, plug it directly into the tv which is more forgiving and eliminates many possible causes of failure. Straighten it out then move it back to the sound bar.
By the way, the remote control does have weird lag and tight aiming requirements. I think they should be replaced with ones having stronger LEDs. I did buy 50’ speaker cables from Amazon (Radio Shack RCA M-M $5.99) due to room shape. Finally, when your unit comes you may have to do a software upgrade. I was apprehensive because instructions on line are complicated and mixed the new bars with the old and wrong reference file names. Downloading was easy, expanding the .rar file easy and the actual updating from the usb drive stick was simple. BTW, the file is only a couple of megabytes so just dig that old one out of the drawer. It has to be a FAT 32 format so if you have a 2gig or larger it’s probably already formatted that way.
Enjoy your labor now, until they change the systems again.
Nice Review @DavAbq

That sounds promising for my 9.2 sitting at home right now. Hope I can get it set up quickly.

Will probably give a firmware update first before setting up. I am just wondering is there a way to check the firmware version installed on the soundbar?

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
Micarina is offline  
post #96 of 5166 Old 11-14-2017, 05:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Forgot to mention, thanks for your wonderful review @mattlock75

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
Micarina is offline  
post #97 of 5166 Old 11-14-2017, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Nice Review @DavAbq

That sounds promising for my 9.2 sitting at home right now. Hope I can get it set up quickly.

Will probably give a firmware update first before setting up. I am just wondering is there a way to check the firmware version installed on the soundbar?
I don't think there's any firmware upgrade for the 9.2. According to the firmware upgrade link on their customer support website, the current firmware upgrades are only for their older Pro 7.1 model.

Here's the link: https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.com/

I received my 9.2 unit a few days ago and am absolutely loving it. I will also post a review soon.
DaveMatthewsLover is offline  
post #98 of 5166 Old 11-15-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NorthJersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 3,505
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I guess the Ultra is only available through Amazon currently ? bestbuy.com shows as "SOLD OUT"
NorthJersey is offline  
post #99 of 5166 Old 11-15-2017, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsLover View Post
I don't think there's any firmware upgrade for the 9.2. According to the firmware upgrade link on their customer support website, the current firmware upgrades are only for their older Pro 7.1 model.

Here's the link: https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.com/

I received my 9.2 unit a few days ago and am absolutely loving it. I will also post a review soon.
I see. I must be mistaken by some other information. My bad.

Anyway, it is great to see a company constantly pushing out new firmware to improve the devices. For an excited customer like me would love to see my product is getting better over time.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
Micarina is offline  
post #100 of 5166 Old 11-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got my 9.2, still haven't got to enjoy it yet. Setup was pretty simple, connected power to everything first. Second I connected the soundbar to my LG C7 via hdmi arc while the bar was off. After hdmi was connected I powered on the soundbar and had sound instantly. I really like the fact that the subs, satellites and center can be adjusted independently.

Still haven't found speaker stands for the satellites, picked up a pair from best buy that need to be returned because the speaker wire could fit through the stand. So for right now I have the surrounds as dipoles sitting on top the subs.

If anyone has any suggestions for speaker stands that would be great.
Hateonme is offline  
post #101 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Member
 
wrobe73928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tulsa OK
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I'm ready to pull the trigger and I have a couple of questions to help me decide on which way to go.


My room will not accommodate a 9.2 setup so whetheror not I get the 9.2 or the 7.2 I will set it up as a 7.2.


My question is onthe Dual subs. Is the $300 upcharge from the 7.2 Elite to the 9.2Ultra worth it to get dual "10 instead of dual "8?


Next question, on thewebsite it talks about connecting the Xbox One S back to the shockwafe Via optical.


*************************
Xbox One S Connection:

Set up the connection as follows:
Audio route: Sound bar to the Xbox via Optical Audio Cable
Video route: Xbox to the TV via HDMI Cable

The Xbox One S is a HDR unit, meaning that the HDMI connections are HDCP 2.2.

The Nakamichi, although it has HDMI output, they are not compatible with HDCP 2.2. That is the reason why while connected via HDMI, the TV is able to detect a connection but it is unstable.
*************************
With this setup, using the optical, wouldn't I be losing a higher quality audio?
AND does his mean ALL HDR playback units will not work? (I've never used the ARC function and am not sure how it works)


My TV is a Vizio M70-D3 and does have the ARC port.


Also I have probably 415MKV Rip's that I think all of them I've just done in Dolby 5.1 will I besatisfied this way or do I need to rip my movies for DTS - HD?

Use the Search Feature?
I don't even know the question until someone else posts it for me!
Keep those new threads coming!

Last edited by wrobe73928; 11-16-2017 at 08:03 AM.
wrobe73928 is offline  
post #102 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 318
If it doesn't blow a hole in your budget, I'd say go for the 9.2. !0 " subs are better, because at similar sound levels the 10" subs are likely to be tighter and better controlled. And even if you don't use the 9.2 configuration, remember that the side/rear satellite can be joined together to create dipole rears, which will greatly improve the immersion effect of the soundfield.
DaveMatthewsLover likes this.
taichi4 is offline  
post #103 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrobe73928 View Post
So I'm ready to pull the trigger and I have a couple of questions to help me decide on which way to go.


My room will not accommodate a 9.2 setup so whetheror not I get the 9.2 or the 7.2 I will set it up as a 7.2.


My question is onthe Dual subs. Is the $300 upcharge from the 7.2 Elite to the 9.2Ultra worth it to get dual "10 instead of dual "8?


Next question, on thewebsite it talks about connecting the Xbox One S back to the shockwafe Via optical.


*************************
Xbox One S Connection:

Set up the connection as follows:
Audio route: Sound bar to the Xbox via Optical Audio Cable
Video route: Xbox to the TV via HDMI Cable

The Xbox One S is a HDR unit, meaning that the HDMI connections are HDCP 2.2.

The Nakamichi, although it has HDMI output, they are not compatible with HDCP 2.2. That is the reason why while connected via HDMI, the TV is able to detect a connection but it is unstable.
*************************
With this setup, using the optical, wouldn't I be losing a higher quality audio?
AND does his mean ALL HDR playback units will not work? (I've never used the ARC function and am not sure how it works)


My TV is a Vizio M70-D3 and does have the ARC port.


Also I have probably 415MKV Rip's that I think all of them I've just done in Dolby 5.1 will I besatisfied this way or do I need to rip my movies for DTS - HD?


Firstly, I am supporting the idea of getting 9.2 if topping up the cost difference isn’t really a big concern. 10” subs are able to deliver deeper bass.

And here is the interesting part. I own Xbox one S too and I was having the same question as you. However, I noticed the 7.2 and 9.2 website mentioned that both models come with HDCP 2.2. I had further confirmed with nakamichi guy that it indeed supports HDCP 2.2 and they have advised me to go for HDMI connection.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
Micarina is offline  
post #104 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Member
 
wrobe73928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tulsa OK
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, after looking at the help page again I think it is referring to the 7.1 which, the best I can tell does not do HDCP 2.2, so that now makes since. Not many help pages out for the 7.2 & 9.2 yet.

Use the Search Feature?
I don't even know the question until someone else posts it for me!
Keep those new threads coming!
wrobe73928 is offline  
post #105 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Member
 
wrobe73928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tulsa OK
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
If it doesn't blow a hole in your budget, I'd say go for the 9.2. !0 " subs are better, because at similar sound levels the 10" subs are likely to be tighter and better controlled. And even if you don't use the 9.2 configuration, remember that the side/rear satellite can be joined together to create dipole rears, which will greatly improve the immersion effect of the soundfield.
So will it still take a standard speaker stand with the 2 joined together?

Use the Search Feature?
I don't even know the question until someone else posts it for me!
Keep those new threads coming!
wrobe73928 is offline  
post #106 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 09:36 AM
Member
 
wrobe73928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tulsa OK
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Firstly, I am supporting the idea of getting 9.2 if topping up the cost difference isn’t really a big concern. 10” subs are able to deliver deeper bass.

And here is the interesting part. I own Xbox one S too and I was having the same question as you. However, I noticed the 7.2 and 9.2 website mentioned that both models come with HDCP 2.2. I had further confirmed with nakamichi guy that it indeed supports HDCP 2.2 and they have advised me to go for HDMI connection.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


So how do you have it setup? Sources to the soundbar with 1 HDMI cable up to the TV OR Sources to the TV using the ARC back to the soundbar?

Use the Search Feature?
I don't even know the question until someone else posts it for me!
Keep those new threads coming!
wrobe73928 is offline  
post #107 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Of course the 10" subs will go deeper...that's a given (assuming similar excursion characteristics). More important is that it's likely that at similar volume levels the 10" will be better controlled.

Last edited by taichi4; 11-16-2017 at 03:24 PM.
taichi4 is offline  
post #108 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Albuquerque where YOU can crew balloons at Fiesta!
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Nice Review @DavAbq

That sounds promising for my 9.2 sitting at home right now. Hope I can get it set up quickly.

Will probably give a firmware update first before setting up. I am just wondering is there a way to check the firmware version installed on the soundbar?
Yes, and there was a minor bit of confusion doing so. The manual says to toggle the remotes INFO button until you see “FWXX” which is the firmware version. Mine was “FW01” upon receipt. Somewhere, and I can’t find it but I suspect it was in some upgrade instructions they referred to the V1.0 FW as “FW10”. Note it seems to be limited to 4 characters. That set me back and I realized it was not correct, my FW01 is the v1.0. I did the upgrade, so much easier than the instructions lead you to believe, and it now reads FW20. I strongly suggest doing the update before your complete system assembly. Again, I suggest keeping all CECs and Auto Sleeps turned off until everything is working. Then turn one device into those modes at a time for a couple days so you can pin down the results of the law of unintended consequences.

Now, I have two problems I can’t find answers to on these forums. My Comcast bill is $169 (quad play), and my actual payment due to added on fees is $240. I am looking for a comparison of Directv and Infinity X1 picture quality. DTV is much cheaper for the SELECT package I want, but I left DTV for FIOS five years ago in Florida because of their over compressed picture. I need to know if it has gotten better. Comcast here has too many SD channels, which I just cannot watch on an 82” screen, no matter the source.

Second problem is: Xfinity remote doesn’t turn on/off soundbar. It did at an early point in the setup but I had the problem of CEC controlling things with auto sleep. So the CEC not the remote may have been doing it. The Xfinity X1 DVR was a big culprit; watching Netflix the X1 goes to sleep and turns off tv, soundbar, etc. so I disabled CEC on X1. It still goes to sleep but at least doesn’t turn things off when watching other sources. But I am in love with this Elite 7.2.
DavAbq is offline  
post #109 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Albuquerque where YOU can crew balloons at Fiesta!
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsLover View Post
I don't think there's any firmware upgrade for the 9.2. According to the firmware upgrade link on their customer support website, the current firmware upgrades are only for their older Pro 7.1 model.

I received my 9.2 unit a few days ago and am absolutely loving it. I will also post a review soon.

Hi, Lover-
There was an update for my Elite 7.2 upon receipt. It took me from “FW01” to “FW20” . Limited to 4 characters they seem to have changed the format of description, I’m thinking “20” means 2.0 so they can do 2.1 (FW21) if they so desire, where the original naming was 01, they initially expected to go to 02, 03, etc. but reconsidered. I had an early preorder however, and would expect currently shipping units to already have the update. Best regards-
DavAbq is offline  
post #110 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Albuquerque where YOU can crew balloons at Fiesta!
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateonme View Post
Just got my 9.2, still haven't got to enjoy it yet. Setup was pretty simple, connected power to everything first. Second I connected the soundbar to my LG C7 via hdmi arc while the bar was off. After hdmi was connected I powered on the soundbar and had sound instantly. I really like the fact that the subs, satellites and center can be adjusted independently.

Still haven't found speaker stands for the satellites, picked up a pair from best buy that need to be returned because the speaker wire could fit through the stand. So for right now I have the surrounds as dipoles sitting on top the subs.

If anyone has any suggestions for speaker stands that would be great.
Hi Hate...
I have an idea for your speaker stand situation that I think would be really great, but it could cost you up to $10. What if you bought some heavy clear monofilament fishing line and triangulated hanging it from the ceiling? It would look very cool looking like the speakers were floating. Now, the black audio wire would be too noticeable so I would suggest a roll of Radio Shack RCA M-M cable from Amazon. A 50’ roll cost me $5.99, is thin and white, and could run down the rear support wire and be very inconspicuous. Just an idea for you. Good luck. I’m stuck trying to find unobtrusive shelf’s for the electronic devices and disks.
DaveMatthewsLover likes this.
DavAbq is offline  
post #111 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 05:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Albuquerque where YOU can crew balloons at Fiesta!
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrobe73928 View Post
So I'm ready to pull the trigger and I have a couple of questions to help me decide on which way to go.


My room will not accommodate a 9.2 setup so whetheror not I get the 9.2 or the 7.2 I will set it up as a 7.2.


My question is onthe Dual subs. Is the $300 upcharge from the 7.2 Elite to the 9.2Ultra worth it to get dual "10 instead of dual "8?


Next question, on thewebsite it talks about connecting the Xbox One S back to the shockwafe Via optical.


*************************
Xbox One S Connection:

Set up the connection as follows:
Audio route: Sound bar to the Xbox via Optical Audio Cable
Video route: Xbox to the TV via HDMI Cable

The Xbox One S is a HDR unit, meaning that the HDMI connections are HDCP 2.2.

The Nakamichi, although it has HDMI output, they are not compatible with HDCP 2.2. That is the reason why while connected via HDMI, the TV is able to detect a connection but it is unstable.
*************************
With this setup, using the optical, wouldn't I be losing a higher quality audio?
AND does his mean ALL HDR playback units will not work? (I've never used the ARC function and am not sure how it works)


My TV is a Vizio M70-D3 and does have the ARC port.


Also I have probably 415MKV Rip's that I think all of them I've just done in Dolby 5.1 will I besatisfied this way or do I need to rip my movies for DTS - HD?
Wrobe: I can tell you my 7.2 bass is house rumbling. Consider as much as I like theater sound, above a “3” I get complaints from the dogs and the wife. And I must admit 2 can be a better setting for realism. That shows how much bass the dual 8s are capable of. And I swear this system sounds as good in every respect as my newest, highest tech theater. I went with the 7.2 because I was new to the immersive audio talk and didn’t know what to make of it. Also, it was my introduction to ARC. That was a simple matter not requiring a moments afterthought. Plug it in, turn it on in tv and you’re done. All that being said, I wish I had a 9.2 because, after all, I’m a guy.
DaveMatthewsLover likes this.
DavAbq is offline  
post #112 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrobe73928 View Post
So how do you have it setup? Sources to the soundbar with 1 HDMI cable up to the TV OR Sources to the TV using the ARC back to the soundbar?
Well I would recommend to connect all the sources or playback devices to the soundbar first then output the video to TV. In this setup the soundbar will decode all the dtsX and dolby digital contents. It will produce better audio quality and surround performance.

Most of the TV cannot handle dtsX at the moment so it will downgrade them to dtsx in order to send thru the audio signal to soundbar via ARC. Not ideal.

Last edited by Micarina; 11-16-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Micarina is offline  
post #113 of 5166 Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 PM
Newbie
 
mattlock75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Forgot to mention, thanks for your wonderful review @mattlock75
You're welcome! Thanks for the kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrobe73928 View Post
So how do you have it setup? Sources to the soundbar with 1 HDMI cable up to the TV OR Sources to the TV using the ARC back to the soundbar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Well I would recommend to connect all the sources or playback devices to the soundbar first then output the video to TV. In this setup the soundbar will decode all the dtsX and dolby digital contents. It will produce better audio quality and surround performance.

Most of the TV cannot handle dtsX at the moment so it will downgrade them to dtsx in order to send thru the audio signal to soundbar via ARC. Not ideal.
Micarina is correct. Connect all your devices via hdmi to the soundbar and then one hdmi from the soundbar to the TVs ARC hdmi input. I have an Xbox One S also and it works just fine connected directly to the soundbar. HDR works perfectly on UHD blu Rays. I haven't actually tried anything else like games etc. As to your question about DD 5.1 vs DTS HD, the difference is pretty substantial. I would honestly recommend you start re-ripping the DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD tracks for your favorite movies at least. You will definitely be glad you did.

Well after 5 solid days messing around with this thing, I figured I would post some follow up thoughts and observations. I'm still absolutely blown away by the sound quality of this thing. I am beyond satisfied in that regard. I've been playing around with subwoofer placement and bass traps for the last couple days and I've got it dialed in very nicely. It's amazing how much of a difference some acoustic treatments make. The 10s produce a serious amount of bass. They don't go quite as deep as the good standalone subs obviously but they get extremely loud and quite low. For people with smaller rooms I honestly think these are going to be too much without some bass traps. I really feel like Nakamichi needs to add some more range to their subwoofer level adjustments. Even at level 1 some stuff is just bass heavy.

Surround speakers continue to impress the hell out of me. Neural X does a very impressive job of creating a much wider soundfield and really livening up the surround effects but it seems to come at a slight cost in sound quality compared to straight native passthrough of 7.1 TrueHD and DTS-MA tracks. Neural X seems to lower the volume a bit and seems just a bit less clean than the unmodified soundtracks. Turning Neural X off means that sometimes on 5.1 tracks, the surround back speakers go unused. I honestly didn't even notice at first because the surround sides do such a good job. I've flipped back and forth between the two modes hundreds of times now on dozens of movies and I've come to the conclusion that there is no best setting. Some movies Neural X sounds better on. Others movies sound better without it. Both modes sound absolutely great, but some experimenting is definitely required to find the best settings. I'm so happy with the sound quality of this soundbar. Real Atmos support in a future firmware would be icing on the cake I suppose, but honestly I don't even care if it gets it. TrueHD Atmos tracks already sound incredible on it.

I also finally got around to turning on CEC on my LG tv and I was happy to find that the soundbar actually works quite well with the LG remote. I don't know what the problem is with the nakamichi remote, but using the LG remote to control the volume has absolutely none of the problems that the nakamichi remote has. No missed button presses. No weirdness. The LG remote also does a fantastic job controlling my nvidia shield which I am absolutely thrilled about. I've had maybe 2-3 weird hdmi handshaking issues since I enabled CEC a few days ago. Mainly the TV not going into HDR mode like it should. Reboots fixed all problems easily. Not bad considering the amount of stuff I've been watching. I'm extremely pleased with how well it's behaved in my system as far as connectivity.

So after all that good stuff, there are some things that I really hope Nakamichi can address. I'll be sending them my list after I get it fully thought out. haha.

1. No ability that I can find to independently adjust the volume between left and right surrounds. I want to make my left surround slightly louder to accommodate for speaker placement but I can't find a way. The weird thing is that last years 7.1 system seems to have that functionality according to the user manual. There are clear directions to adjust left and right volume for the 7.1 pro system. Not so for the 9.2 Ultra. That's just silly. Maybe I'm a dumbass and just can't figure it out. If someone knows how please let me know :-P

2. Everything I just wrote above also applies to the subwoofers. There is no way to independently set the volume on them. I would love to turn my left side sub down just a tad but I can't. That just seems like a no brainer to me.

3.The remote. UGH.

Those are really the only glaring issues I have with the system after the first week. I've been able to compensate for them with speaker placement and bass traps but there really should be some adjustability in terms of speaker l/r balance. Apart from those things I am extremely happy with this purchase. I feel like this is one of the best bang for your buck tech purchases I've ever made honestly. The performance vs cost is pretty damn amazing. I give it a very solid 9/10 right now. If they can fix some of my complaints in a future firmware update then this will be the perfect soundbar imo.

Last edited by mattlock75; 11-16-2017 at 08:42 PM.
mattlock75 is offline  
post #114 of 5166 Old 11-18-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Natick MA
Posts: 18,170
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Need pics!

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is offline  
post #115 of 5166 Old 11-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Albuquerque where YOU can crew balloons at Fiesta!
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Red face DavAbq very sad, Elite 7.2 died at one week of age (Nakamichi replaced within a week)

Edit update: Sound bar failed on a Friday night. Saturday emails from Nakamichi president indicated one would be shipped Monday, arrive Wednesday. Monday phone call from Nakamichi engineering reiterating shipment, asked for symptoms that may help them. Wednesday the new replacement unit arrived. Friday I will ship original back.

[original post:]
Very sad today. At the same time UPS was delivering my first DTS:X movie bundle (Harry Potter set) to my front doorstep, my Elite 7.2 died. The decedent was one week of age, and taught me all about new immersive home audio. Things like this always happen to me on a Friday and with a holiday week coming up unless the company wants to overnight me a new bar I will probably be without for almost two weeks total. The symptoms involve an uncontrollable constant maximum volume shriek of hash noise with an occasional high frequency tone. Tried eliminating remote speakers, tried resetting the bar but get to the reset menu and instead of allowing a reset it just goes back to the ARC position. Left disconnected from power and sources overnight and patient remained dead. I know infant mortality happens, but it always happens to me! I will call factory Monday, but so down....

Last edited by DavAbq; 11-22-2017 at 07:34 PM. Reason: To report efforts company made to make good on problem
DavAbq is offline  
post #116 of 5166 Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How are the bars without using the rear speakers? I really cant have rear speakers but for the price it still seems to be best value a great bar with sub. I am looking at the 7.1 but I would imagine the experience without the speakers would be similar.
monstermorgan is offline  
post #117 of 5166 Old 11-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Newbie
 
mattlock75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
Very sad today. At the same time UPS was delivering my first DTS:X movie bundle (Harry Potter set) to my front doorstep, my Elite 7.2 died. The decedent was one week of age, and taught me all about new immersive home audio. Things like this always happen to me on a Friday and with a holiday week coming up unless the company wants to overnight me a new bar I will probably be without for almost two weeks total. The symptoms involve an uncontrollable constant maximum volume shriek of hash noise with an occasional high frequency tone. Tried eliminating remote speakers, tried resetting the bar but get to the reset menu and instead of allowing a reset it just goes back to the ARC position. Left disconnected from power and sources overnight and patient remained dead. I know infant mortality happens, but it always happens to me! I will call factory Monday, but so down....
Wow that really sucks. I'm gonna be paranoid now. Do you remember what you were doing with it when it went bad? Did you just turn it on to find it messed up or did it happen while you were actually watching something. I'm so happy with this thing so far. It would really suck if reliability turns out to be the only flaw. heh. Good luck man.
mattlock75 is offline  
post #118 of 5166 Old 11-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Albuquerque where YOU can crew balloons at Fiesta!
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlock75 View Post
Wow that really sucks. I'm gonna be paranoid now. Do you remember what you were doing with it when it went bad? Did you just turn it on to find it messed up or did it happen while you were actually watching something. I'm so happy with this thing so far. It would really suck if reliability turns out to be the only flaw. heh. Good luck man.
Yes, I was putting a new faucet on the kitchen sink, open to the living room where wife was watching Entertainment Tonight. In all fairness, that program could destroy a theater. The Nakamichi President replied Saturday night by email. A replacement system will be delivered Wednesday. Anyone want to try having that experience with any other company? Seriously, don’t be paranoid. My life isn’t normal. My first plasma The 42” 480i ED for $2400 way back when delivered by Amazon with cracked screen. Then the 50” Panny plasma HD delivered with a fork lift puncturing the screen. Last year 65” HiSense died via a third of the screen going black with lines after a week. In all cases Amazon made good in less than a week. I was paranoid about this 82” Samsung, but so far it’s ok. I was just depressed because I planned on spending the weekend watching my first DTS:X movies which fortunately my wife loves (Harry Potter)! And this sound bar sounds great. I would still highly recommend it. I just wouldn’t recommend my luck. If I wanted to be a millionaire I’d have to go to a casino as a billionaire, to paraphrase the saying.
DavAbq is offline  
post #119 of 5166 Old 11-19-2017, 09:12 AM
Newbie
 
mattlock75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
Yes, I was putting a new faucet on the kitchen sink, open to the living room where wife was watching Entertainment Tonight. In all fairness, that program could destroy a theater. The Nakamichi President replied Saturday night by email. A replacement system will be delivered Wednesday. Anyone want to try having that experience with any other company? Seriously, don’t be paranoid. My life isn’t normal. My first plasma The 42” 480i ED for $2400 way back when delivered by Amazon with cracked screen. Then the 50” Panny plasma HD delivered with a fork lift puncturing the screen. Last year 65” HiSense died via a third of the screen going black with lines after a week. In all cases Amazon made good in less than a week. I was paranoid about this 82” Samsung, but so far it’s ok. I was just depressed because I planned on spending the weekend watching my first DTS:X movies which fortunately my wife loves (Harry Potter)! And this sound bar sounds great. I would still highly recommend it. I just wouldn’t recommend my luck. If I wanted to be a millionaire I’d have to go to a casino as a billionaire, to paraphrase the saying.
Ok whew. That explains it. Just another case of Entertainment Tonight induced component suicide. Completely understandable. In all seriousness though, that is great that it's being taken care of like that. Their customer service seems to really be on the ball. I guess I can relax a little and blame this one on the DavAbq bad luck factor. That's some rotten luck man.
mattlock75 is offline  
post #120 of 5166 Old 11-19-2017, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My best hardware purchase

As promised, here are my thoughts about my new Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 system. I won’t talk about some of the things that have already been covered by others in this thread. First of all, one should not look at this as a soundbar, but more of a complete surround sound system for your home theater. The value is crazy with 2 subwoofers, 4 surround speakers and a soundbar.

I have used it for slightly over a week now and played quite a few movies including Dolby Atmos ones. In a nutshell, it is probably the best hardware purchase I have made this year. The surround sound quality is unbelievable, I have never imagined a soundbar system to be able to deliver a soundstage that’s so clear, detailed and spacious. Incredible. The additional subwoofer has made a huge difference and I’m super impressed at how much bass this system can crank. Overall, it feels like my living room has become alive after installing this system. Watching movies is more thrilling and delightful for everyone in the family now because of the extra excitement and intensity this system has added. I honestly think that this is something every large 4K HDTV owner needs to consider getting.

My setup:
- LG 65” 4K OLED TV
- Samsung UBD-M9500 bluray player
- PS4 Pro
- Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTS:X sound bar

Out of the box, the first thing I noticed was the build quality of all the components of the system. They all felt and looked really premium. Setting it up was easy and seamless versus using an AVR (which I was originally considering to buy), with very similar home theater results achieved. My 24x24 living room is now rid of a lot of cables and equipment that would have been necessary had I chosen an AVR. I really like the unique, sleek design of the soundbar and it looks great sitting below my TV.

I have only been using the dipole configuration for the 4 surround speakers. I know that if they are placed individually, according to the company’s recommendation, you will get an even more complete surround sound coverage. And I’ll try that soon. Nevertheless, this system is hands down one of the best surround sound systems out there. The construction of the surround speakers looks strong and heavy, similar to my old Fluance Signature Series bipolar surrounds. So each of the 4 surround speakers has a tweeter and a full-range driver, meaning that just from a hardware point of view, I have EIGHT speaker drivers placed by my sides that are reproducing surround sound effects, not forgetting the soundbar in front as well as the 2x10” subs. Forget about all those ‘simulated’ surround sound capabilities that many other systems promise you. Nothing beats true surround and we all know that.

I started testing out the system by playing my Mad Max: Fury Road bluray. The movie combines the sounds of many engines, vehicles, gunfire, explosions and flying debris into a rich hemisphere of sound. Since it has Dolby Atmos, I was also curious to see how well the system could handle Atmos movies. And I was more than impressed. Despite not having support for Atmos, it actually performed better than my old Yamaha YSP-5600 Atmos soundbar. The Neural:X upmixing the sound to 9.2ch and the 4 surround speakers more than make up for the lack of Atmos support. During the opening scene, I was instantly awed by the system’s sound directionality when there were voices coming from many directions, followed by the roar of the vehicle that flew above shortly after. Everything sounded precise and natural. From the gentle breeze of the deserts during quieter scenes to the thunderous dust storms and battles, I always felt like I was right in the center of the action. The dialogue was full and crystal clear. With the 2x10” subs, the bass is indeed second to none. Low-frequency effects come thick and fast and are tight and controlled. During many of the battle scenes, I thought to myself that I have never experienced a home theater system that could produce such deep, resonant rumbles. For certain bassy audio tracks that might be challenging for some subwoofers to handle, this system can reproduce effortlessly.

Overall, I’m extremely pleased with the system. For $1,199, the value is crazy with 2x10" subs, 4 surround speakers, and a soundbar. It is like a $3-4k+ system without the hassles. I also have to praise the company’s customer support team, who was very responsive when I asked them a couple of questions while setting up the system. Highly recommend!
DaveMatthewsLover is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off