Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1305Likes

post #1171 of 5172 Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I recently purchased the 9.2.

I am facing the following issues (any help is much appreciated)

1) No DTS : My fire tv 2nd (gen 2015 ) is set to output dolby digital and connected to Naka hdmi 2.
The naka hdmi arc is connected to samsung (unh557150af ) arc.However this doesnt give me DTS, the Naka displays PCM.

2)No DTS-X (Invalid) : when i connect PS4 pro(DTS bitstream output) to Naka hdmi 3 and the naka hdmi arc is connected to samsung (unh557150af ) arc, i get DTS but pressing DTS-X key on remote says invalid.

3)Music issue : When I play music with neural-X on then the rear speakers have distorted sound(screeching/shrieking sound) if the input is PCM as with my fire tv mentioned above.With native the rear dont get any sound only the subs are in effect.

4)Music issue : When I play music with neural-X on then the rear speakers are muffled with DTS input as with the PS4 pro above. With Native the rears are muffled.

5)What is DSP off (what does it do) and how to switch it On if required.

PS: my samsung tv has no 5.1 passthrough i guess, hence i m connecting devices directly to soundbar.

Thanks in advance for any help here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 5172 Old 09-21-2018, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post
I recently purchased the 9.2.

I am facing the following issues (any help is much appreciated)

1) No DTS : My fire tv 2nd (gen 2015 ) is set to output dolby digital and connected to Naka hdmi 2.
The naka hdmi arc is connected to samsung (unh557150af ) arc.However this doesnt give me DTS, the Naka displays PCM.

2)No DTS-X (Invalid) : when i connect PS4 pro(DTS bitstream output) to Naka hdmi 3 and the naka hdmi arc is connected to samsung (unh557150af ) arc, i get DTS but pressing DTS-X key on remote says invalid.

3)Music issue : When I play music with neural-X on then the rear speakers have distorted sound(screeching/shrieking sound) if the input is PCM as with my fire tv mentioned above.With native the rear dont get any sound only the subs are in effect.

4)Music issue : When I play music with neural-X on then the rear speakers are muffled with DTS input as with the PS4 pro above. With Native the rears are muffled.

5)What is DSP off (what does it do) and how to switch it On if required.

PS: my samsung tv has no 5.1 passthrough i guess, hence i m connecting devices directly to soundbar.

Thanks in advance for any help here
1) which content and from what app are you trying to play? Most apps on fire TV use Dolby digital plus which currently the naka doesn't support so it pays as PCM. However if you set the fire TV as the nakamichi website says Netflix should output regular Dolby. You shouldn't expect dts unless you play local files that have DTS.

2) dtsx depends on the content you play and will show only if you play dtsx content and only then the button should work.

3,4 very weird, I would send a mail to support

5) dsp off is basically an equalizer seeing that turns the equalizer off. Clicking the button turns the equalizer to dsp off which should play as intended. And pressing movie or music etc will switch to another equalizer setting giving more emphasis on the base or center channel and whatnot.

I have the same problem with the Samsung TV. Really annoying, I'm really waiting forward for DD+ support.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #1173 of 5172 Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadavar View Post
1) which content and from what app are you trying to play? Most apps on fire TV use Dolby digital plus which currently the naka doesn't support so it pays as PCM. However if you set the fire TV as the nakamichi website says Netflix should output regular Dolby. You shouldn't expect dts unless you play local files that have DTS
Thanks Nadavar ,

I was playing Netflix, hbo go with the fire tv. I did set the fire Tv sound output to Dolby digital and over hdmi as suggested. However the only difference is I connected it to soundbar instead of directly connecting to tv as suggested in their website.

The naka soundbar shows pcm throughout with the fire tv connected to soundbar.

I will drop an email to Naka support.

Last edited by ari821; 09-21-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 5172 Old 09-21-2018, 08:30 AM

Ok ,

So I retested.
When there is direct connection from fire tv to soundbar, the naka do show PCM by default but if I play Netflix 5.1 content it shows Dolby Digital, so that solved.

So I apparently can’t stream YouTube from fire Tv with dts/Dolby but only pcm 😞. If I play music in PCM and neural x with YouTube video the rear has distorted noise for voice in the music.As if the voice is shuddering

Now when the PS4 pro is connected to the bar then I do get DTS default as mentioned but the music from YouTube videos is not having any sound from the rear speakers in native mode(only sub is working)
In neural x mode the rears have sound but not enhanced and kind of soft

Is this behavior expected ?

Can anybody also point me as to how people tested those Atmos /immersive videos etc as mentioned in the forum if not from YouTube because the YouTube video experience for atmos amaze video is not much immersive to me even with PS4 pro you tube app( note I do know there is no Atmos in the naka) but thought atleast some level of immersive experience is expected

Am I missing any setting here?

Last edited by ari821; 09-21-2018 at 08:36 AM.
post #1175 of 5172 Old 09-21-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Ok ,

So I retested.
When there is direct connection from fire tv to soundbar, the naka do show PCM by default but if I play Netflix 5.1 content it shows Dolby Digital, so that solved.

So I apparently can’t stream YouTube from fire Tv with dts/Dolby but only pcm . If I play music in PCM and neural x with YouTube video the rear has distorted noise for voice in the music.As if the voice is shuddering

Now when the PS4 pro is connected to the bar then I do get DTS default as mentioned but the music from YouTube videos is not having any sound from the rear speakers in native mode(only sub is working)
In neural x mode the rears have sound but not enhanced and kind of soft

Is this behavior expected ?

Can anybody also point me as to how people tested those Atmos /immersive videos etc as mentioned in the forum if not from YouTube because the YouTube video experience for atmos amaze video is not much immersive to me even with PS4 pro you tube app( note I do know there is no Atmos in the naka) but thought atleast some level of immersive experience is expected

Am I missing any setting here?
YouTube only supports stereo, so what happens I think is that when you get YouTube on PCM, the bar upmixes the stereo output to 5.1+ and redirects some of the sounds (that should not have been played through the rears) to the rears and creates a muffled sound coming from there.
When it outputs DTS, the bar receives 5.1 output (with nothing in the rear speaker) so it doesn't play anything.

The Atmos immersive should not be checked through YouTube but from a downloaded file.

Neural x upmixes any input to all the system's speakers.

post #1176 of 5172 Old 09-23-2018, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have an issue and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I prefer using Native over Neural X because voice tracks seem very low to me in Neural X, however the sound bar always defaults back to Neural X whenever I power it on even though I changed it to Native before powering it down. Is there a setting I'm missing or is the sound bar designed to default back to Neural X every time?
post #1177 of 5172 Old 09-23-2018, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys. Great thread and info. Been researching this bar for quite a while now.

Question for 9.2 owners - can you wall mount the surround speakers in dipole mode? My couch is right up against the back wall and was wondering if this set up would still work well for me. Was planning to mount the speakers in dipole mode on the back wall at each end of the the couch.
post #1178 of 5172 Old 09-23-2018, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorge View Post
I have an issue and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I prefer using Native over Neural X because voice tracks seem very low to me in Neural X, however the sound bar always defaults back to Neural X whenever I power it on even though I changed it to Native before powering it down. Is there a setting I'm missing or is the sound bar designed to default back to Neural X every time?
I am not sure what the sound bar default is but I spoke with Nakamichi directly and was was told Neural X is the preferred mode. They explained the difference in the modes to me. They can explain it better than I can. Give them a call or email them, they are very responsive.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #1179 of 5172 Old 09-23-2018, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunzilla View Post
Hey guys. Great thread and info. Been researching this bar for quite a while now.

Question for 9.2 owners - can you wall mount the surround speakers in dipole mode? My couch is right up against the back wall and was wondering if this set up would still work well for me. Was planning to mount the speakers in dipole mode on the back wall at each end of the the couch.
This is my exact setup with the room I have, speakers come with all mounting hardware to do just this.
They still sound incredible in this configuration and you will be pleased.
malinois1 likes this.
post #1180 of 5172 Old 09-23-2018, 07:15 PM

Good to know. Is it mounted where one half of the dipole set up is flush against the wall (one speaker firing flush along the back wall), and the other half is aimed towards the center of the room?
post #1181 of 5172 Old 09-23-2018, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorge View Post
Just wondering what kind of content and content device you are using? it is always better if your device is outputting dolby or dts content and it works the best with neural x and the whole soundbar system.
post #1182 of 5172 Old 09-23-2018, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Just wondering what kind of content and content device you are using? it is always better if your device is outputting dolby or dts content and it works the best with neural x and the whole soundbar system.
I mostly use my Apple TV 4K and it is outputting in Dolby Digital. I can live with Neural X, but sometimes Native just sounds better to me.
Micarina likes this.
post #1183 of 5172 Old 09-23-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Good to know. Is it mounted where one half of the dipole set up is flush against the wall (one speaker firing flush along the back wall), and the other half is aimed towards the center of the room?
No both speakers are facing forward. The speaker backs are flush against the wall and each speaker is slightly angled and facing forward.
post #1184 of 5172 Old 09-24-2018, 01:37 PM

What are the dimensions of the 9.2 subwoofer? Can’t seem to find it on any descriptions online.
post #1185 of 5172 Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
What are the dimensions of the 9.2 subwoofer? Can’t seem to find it on any descriptions online.

Subwoofer
13.0 x 11.0 x 20.5 inches / 23.4 lbs.
post #1186 of 5172 Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Here are all of the specs.
https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockw...specifications
post #1187 of 5172 Old 09-24-2018, 06:54 PM

In addition to all the rave reviews for the nakamichi 9.2, hardly there is anything to add. Exceptional service response , very good build quality (starting from the packaging ) and exceptional sound quality( based on compatible input format).

Probably few minor things that might be improved are:
1)Dolby Digital plus support.This is important for people who streams videos ( Netflix, Amazon , etc). Most of the streaming platforms use DD+ output. To me this is more important than Atmos as the number of content with DD+ is huge. Having said that it can easily be fixed by a a firmware update. Given the rumor of Atmos update I would expect that DD+ update should be in horizon.

Correct me if I m wrong but I expect if the DD+ update is provided then I assume that the soundbar don’t have to downgrade it to DD and the overall sound quality should improve.

2) The response for the remote could be improved , however it is an extremely minor issue with sound control being primarily managed by TV remote.

I just wish DD+ update is available soon. Did anybody get any info on that. I saw some posts here talking about a possible update soon.

However, I must say that being a soundbar , the sound quality is exceptional provided it receives correct input. It’s definitely a 5 star ⭐️ system.It’s just not good because it is cheaper than competitive soundbars under $2000, but it genuinely deserves accolade for the sound quality it produces and sets up a very high bar for rest of the competition for both quality of sound and the exceptional customer support and response 😃

Kudos to Nakamichi👏
atfree, malinois1 and Micarina like this.

Last edited by ari821; 09-24-2018 at 07:08 PM.
post #1188 of 5172 Old 09-25-2018, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ive noticed people keep saying it sounds good "for a soundbar" but this is more than a soundbar right? Not too many soundbar a include 4 surround speakers! I get my 9.2 system today and can't wait to hook it up. I just found it strange folks keep referencing they sound bar as if that's the only component where the sound comes from. Guess I'll find out today how significant the surround speakers are!
post #1189 of 5172 Old 09-25-2018, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfvigor View Post
Ive noticed people keep saying it sounds good "for a soundbar" but this is more than a soundbar right? Not too many soundbar a include 4 surround speakers! I get my 9.2 system today and can't wait to hook it up. I just found it strange folks keep referencing they sound bar as if that's the only component where the sound comes from. Guess I'll find out today how significant the surround speakers are!
The 9.2 system sounds great *period*! Trust me you are going to love it when you throw in your first DTS:X disc. And if the rumors of the upcoming Atmos upgrade are true your investment will only get better!
atfree and ari821 like this.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
post #1190 of 5172 Old 09-25-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Agree this is more than a mere soundbar and has very good sound quality👌
post #1191 of 5172 Old 09-26-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
It sounds great for a home theater system. Simply great sound with awesome bass and surround! loving my 9.2 every bit of it and hope the major upgrade can be released as soon as possible. cant wait for it
post #1192 of 5172 Old 09-26-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
In addition to all the rave reviews for the nakamichi 9.2, hardly there is anything to add. Exceptional service response , very good build quality (starting from the packaging ) and exceptional sound quality( based on compatible input format).

Probably few minor things that might be improved are:
1)Dolby Digital plus support.This is important for people who streams videos ( Netflix, Amazon , etc). Most of the streaming platforms use DD+ output. To me this is more important than Atmos as the number of content with DD+ is huge. Having said that it can easily be fixed by a a firmware update. Given the rumor of Atmos update I would expect that DD+ update should be in horizon.

Correct me if I m wrong but I expect if the DD+ update is provided then I assume that the soundbar don’t have to downgrade it to DD and the overall sound quality should improve.
Technically speaking once the system supports Dolby atmos, dolby trueHD and dolby digital plus decoding will be supported as well. Dolby atmos is riding on top of trueHD and DD+ format with additional height element. Dolby trueHD with atmos is commonly found on bluray discs these days while dolby digital plus with atmos is found in streaming service such as Netflix, iTunes movie etc. For netflix particularly, not all streaming devices support atmos output. As far as I know, netflix on LG TV and xbox console support atmos output. the recently announced Apple TV 4k with tvOS 12 and amazon fire cube come with atmos output (DD+) capability as well.
post #1193 of 5172 Old 09-26-2018, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
Quick question: since updating the firmware a week ago on my 7.1 Pro DTS:X, I've had 2 instances where the Naka has turned on during the middle of the night. Seems very random, both nights wife and I were watching TV until about 10:30, turned off the system and went to bed. Then, one night about 3 am, another about 5 am, the sound of the TV downstairs woke me up. Went downstairs, the Naka was on.

My set up is Directv Genie and LG UHD player running into Naka via HDMI 2 and 3, with HDMI 1 (ARC) connected to Vizio M series. Run everything with a Harmony One remote.

I Googled and CEC seems to come up as an issue that can cause this although it never happened in the 7 months I've had the Naka prior to doing the latest (July 6, 2018) firmware update, and it doesn't happen all the time.

Any ideas are appreciated!
I’ve had that happen a couple times on my 7.2. I too have a DTV Genie (only one more year. Yay!). Coincidence? Maybe a DTV update/system maintenance activating the CEC??
atfree likes this.
post #1194 of 5172 Old 09-27-2018, 05:01 AM

Is anyone here using the fire TV cube? I'm considering buying it.
How do you like it, and how well does it work with the naka

post #1195 of 5172 Old 09-27-2018, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
I’ve had that happen a couple times on my 7.2. I too have a DTV Genie (only one more year. Yay!). Coincidence? Maybe a DTV update/system maintenance activating the CEC??
I changed the CEC setting on my Vizio to ARC ONLY and turned off HDMI Control on the Genie.....hasn't happened again.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #1196 of 5172 Old 09-27-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Technically speaking once the system supports Dolby atmos, dolby trueHD and dolby digital plus decoding will be supported as well. Dolby atmos is riding on top of trueHD and DD+ format with additional height element. Dolby trueHD with atmos is commonly found on bluray discs these days while dolby digital plus with atmos is found in streaming service such as Netflix, iTunes movie etc. For netflix particularly, not all streaming devices support atmos output. As far as I know, netflix on LG TV and xbox console support atmos output. the recently announced Apple TV 4k with tvOS 12 and amazon fire cube come with atmos output (DD+) capability as well.
So do you think that once the dolby Atmos upgrade happens then the sound from the streaming apps will improve further because of DD+ support?
post #1197 of 5172 Old 09-28-2018, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Has Nakamichi said anything in the past about supporting Dolby Vision pass through? It would certainly be nice if that were included in the rumored Atmos upgrade. In my case DV pass through would obviate the need for running separate video and audio cables from my Oppo 203 UHD player.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
post #1198 of 5172 Old 09-28-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Hi Micarina,

Did you get any further info on the release date of the firmware, since your last update ?

I remember someone mentioning in the forum that a press release was due soon.

Eagerly waiting for this update more so because of DD+ support as I primarily use streaming media
post #1199 of 5172 Old 09-28-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
Has Nakamichi said anything in the past about supporting Dolby Vision pass through? It would certainly be nice if that were included in the rumored Atmos upgrade. In my case DV pass through would obviate the need for running separate video and audio cables from my Oppo 203 UHD player.
Given their customer support I won’t be surprised if they make everyone happy with all mainstream audio/video codecs available 😁
post #1200 of 5172 Old 09-28-2018, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Hi Micarina,

Did you get any further info on the release date of the firmware, since your last update ?

I remember someone mentioning in the forum that a press release was due soon.

Eagerly waiting for this update more so because of DD+ support as I primarily use streaming media
About a week ago a Naka rep told me there would be a press release within 2 weeks... so maybe sometime within the next 7 days? Unless they take a page from vizio...
leojj25 and ari821 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page