Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1277Likes

post #1201 of 5077 Old 09-29-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Got my Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 yesterday. Love it. It sounds better than my Onkyo 7.1 speaker system.
atfree likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 5077 Old 09-29-2018, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
I changed the CEC setting on my Vizio to ARC ONLY and turned off HDMI Control on the Genie.....hasn't happened again.
CEC = can’t ever coordinate. Abysmal system. I tried to get all my components working when I set up the sound bar. Watching dtv but decided to remove disk from 4K blue ray. Everything changes. Turn off atv everything went off. It was a nightmare. Decided CEC should only control the main components DTV, Nakamichi and TV. Still a nightmare if you try to turn on the Nakamichi to listen to Bluetooth music. The TV and DTV get out of sync. Just turning on the DTV to watch, sometimes the Nakamichi doesn’t come on with the DTV and TV. Since the Nakamichi remote is so weird I have to press HDMI 2 to turn it on since the on/off button doesn’t work. It doesn’t seem it would be difficult to make a system that would work. Getting every manufacturer to buy in though is a problem.
atfree and Micarina like this.
post #1203 of 5077 Old 09-29-2018, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Got my Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 yesterday. Love it. It sounds better than my Onkyo 7.1 speaker system.
What happened to your Samsung 950?

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 5077 Old 09-29-2018, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
What happened to your Samsung 950?

After reading great reviews on the Nakamichi I returned the Samsung N950 and got the Shockwafe 9.2.
Glad I did, sound is richer and fuller with the extra speaks and subs.
leojj25 and Micarina like this.
post #1205 of 5077 Old 09-29-2018, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadavar View Post
Is anyone here using the fire TV cube? I'm considering buying it.
How do you like it, and how well does it work with the naka

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I got my fire tv cube and I’m loving it. It works well with my 9.2 in terms of audio and video quality. The soundbar also works with the fire tv cube IR feature to provide basic volume and power control via Alexa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #1206 of 5077 Old 09-29-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post
Hi Micarina,

Did you get any further info on the release date of the firmware, since your last update ?

I remember someone mentioning in the forum that a press release was due soon.

Eagerly waiting for this update more so because of DD+ support as I primarily use streaming media

Not at the moment. Someone mentioned that they should be announcing it soon so we shall see.

I’m not surprised if they take a page from vizio but as far I can see, the newly launched 5.1.2 is pretty disappointing

Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #1207 of 5077 Old 09-29-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
After reading great reviews on the Nakamichi I returned the Samsung N950 and got the Shockwafe 9.2.
Glad I did, sound is richer and fuller with the extra speaks and subs.

Nice. Sounds like the n950 is pretty much the same as k950 I listened last year. I’m glad that I decided to go for nak 9.2 instead. Best choice ever

post #1208 of 5077 Old 09-29-2018, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
I got my fire tv cube and I’m loving it. It works well with my 9.2 in terms of audio and video quality. The soundbar also works with the fire tv cube IR feature to provide basic volume and power control via Alexa.

Thanks,
Can it also change sources on the nakamichi?

post #1209 of 5077 Old 09-29-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks,
Can it also change sources on the nakamichi?

It only able to switch to fire tv cube connected input. It can’t switch the inputs on the soundbar

post #1210 of 5077 Old 09-29-2018, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
It only able to switch to fire tv cube connected input. It can’t switch the inputs on the soundbar

Oh, that sucks.
I wanted to get something that would replace all remotes.
So I ordered both the cube and Harmony hub, I'll get both in a few days. I guess I'll be returning the cube if it doesn't replace any as I have the mi box already.

post #1211 of 5077 Old 09-30-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Oh, that sucks.
I wanted to get something that would replace all remotes.
So I ordered both the cube and Harmony hub, I'll get both in a few days. I guess I'll be returning the cube if it doesn't replace any as I have the mi box already.

Harmony remote will be your best bet then

post #1212 of 5077 Old 09-30-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice. Sounds like the n950 is pretty much the same as k950 I listened last year. I’m glad that I decided to go for nak 9.2 instead. Best choice ever

Yeah but I do miss the Dolby Atmos the N950 has.
post #1213 of 5077 Old 10-01-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Yeah but I do miss the Dolby Atmos the N950 has.

is it that noticeable with Atmos content on your 9.2 Ultra ? are Atmos->DTS:x resulting in lesser fidelity in your experience ?
post #1214 of 5077 Old 10-01-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
is it that noticeable with Atmos content on your 9.2 Ultra ? are Atmos->DTS:x resulting in lesser fidelity in your experience ?

Not sure yet. I just got an ATV 4K with Dolby Atmos and I am not seeing that offered in the sound settings.
ATV must look at the Natamichi 9.2 sound system and see it does not support Dolby Atmos. Perhaps that's why I am not seeing dolby atmos offered on shows like Jack Ryan like I did when I had the Samsung NM950 dolby atmos sound system.
I am still experimenting.

Edit: After looking around a little more in Netflix and Vudu and iTunes video I do see dolby atmos offered for some films however when I select that movie I hear no difference. I knew I wouldn't hear atmos but was wondering if that audio bed would go to another speaker.

Last edited by dreaux; 10-01-2018 at 03:51 PM.
post #1215 of 5077 Old 10-02-2018, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Not sure yet. I just got an ATV 4K with Dolby Atmos and I am not seeing that offered in the sound settings.
ATV must look at the Natamichi 9.2 sound system and see it does not support Dolby Atmos. Perhaps that's why I am not seeing dolby atmos offered on shows like Jack Ryan like I did when I had the Samsung NM950 dolby atmos sound system.
I am still experimenting.

Edit: After looking around a little more in Netflix and Vudu and iTunes video I do see dolby atmos offered for some films however when I select that movie I hear no difference. I knew I wouldn't hear atmos but was wondering if that audio bed would go to another speaker.

I hear a different on Atmos tracks. It is called silence. I have many Atmos Blu-ray .mkv's, and if the main track is Atmos, I get NO SOUND at all from my Shockwafe 9.2. None. I have to select a different audio track to get any sound at all.

Not sure if something is wrong with my setup but that is what is happening to me regarding Atmos on the Nak. Considering the Vizio 5.1.4 when it ships. Happy overall with with the Nak, except for the lack of Atmos support.

Mark
leojj25 likes this.
post #1216 of 5077 Old 10-02-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMT View Post
I hear a different on Atmos tracks. It is called silence. I have many Atmos Blu-ray .mkv's, and if the main track is Atmos, I get NO SOUND at all from my Shockwafe 9.2. None. I have to select a different audio track to get any sound at all.

Not sure if something is wrong with my setup but that is what is happening to me regarding Atmos on the Nak. Considering the Vizio 5.1.4 when it ships. Happy overall with with the Nak, except for the lack of Atmos support.

Mark

I've heard rumors that Nakamichi could offer Dolby Atmos through a FW update but I would be surprised if that could be done. Plus you would need an upward firing speaker.
I will be talking the their techs today since my 9.2 will not lock onto my main HDMI, it just quickly goes to ARC and I loose picture. There is a handshake problem I am guessing. Hate to have to send it back.
Zoland2020 likes this.
post #1217 of 5077 Old 10-02-2018, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I've heard rumors that Nakamichi could offer Dolby Atmos through a FW update but I would be surprised if that could be done. Plus you would need an upward firing speaker.
I will be talking the their techs today since my 9.2 will not lock onto my main HDMI, it just quickly goes to ARC and I loose picture. There is a handshake problem I am guessing. Hate to have to send it back.
Obviously it wouldn't be true Atmos, but it should at least downgrade it to Dolby Digital so it plays SOMETHING. I have quite a few movies encoded in ATMOS only and I have to use listen to these in PCM only if I want to hear the soundtrack.
atfree likes this.
post #1218 of 5077 Old 10-02-2018, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Not at the moment. Someone mentioned that they should be announcing it soon so we shall see.

I’m not surprised if they take a page from vizio but as far I can see, the newly launched 5.1.2 is pretty disappointing

Seems most people are saying it’s good enough for the price but that the 5.1.4 is overpriced

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
post #1219 of 5077 Old 10-02-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leojj25 View Post
Seems most people are saying it’s good enough for the price but that the 5.1.4 is overpriced

Ya a total surprise by the price of 5.1.4. I wonder what are the differences between 5.1.2 model vs 5.1.4 model to justify the additional 500 bux.

post #1220 of 5077 Old 10-02-2018, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Atmos

I was on the phone with a Nakamichi tech for 2 1/2 hours this afternoon. Lots of issues with my Samsung CEC playing nice with my Naka 9.2 Ultra. So far I think it is a Samsung issue.

While talking I asked him if Nakamichi is planning a Dolby Atmos update. He said yes it will be coming out for the 9.2 in 2 to 3 weeks. 7.2 upgrade will follow. He said it will be a FW update. I asked since we don't have up-firing speakers how is this going to work. He said it will be 'Artificial Intelligence' creating it. I take that to mean virtual effects much like sound bars that can create 5.1 without rear speakers.
At least those audio objects won't be silent?

Last edited by dreaux; 10-02-2018 at 05:44 PM.
post #1221 of 5077 Old 10-02-2018, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I was on the phone with a Nakamichi tech for 2 1/2 hours this afternoon. Lots of issues with my Samsung CEC playing nice with my Naka 9.2 Ultra. So far I think it is a Samsung issue.

While talking I asked him if Nakamichi is planning a Dolby Atmos update. He said yes it will be coming out for the 9.2 in 2 to 3 weeks. 7.2 upgrade will follow. He said it will be a FW update. I asked since we don't have up-firing speakers how is this going to work. He said it will be 'Artificial Intelligence' creating it. I take that to mean virtual effects much like sound bars that can create 5.1 without rear speakers.
At least those audio effects won't be silent.
Hope this is true, multiple people are confirming it so it seems it
Can't wait to try it out on my 9.2
post #1222 of 5077 Old 10-02-2018, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Well, obviously my source was right on point, and my surmise about it possibly being firmware only (at least for now) seem to be correct also.

Just FWIW if someone is sitting there and not already an owner, NAKAMICHI-USA on eBay has a single new Ultra 9.2 unit available for $899 + the same shipping they want for their $799 refurbished units. It doesn't say specifically, but I assume it's an open box unit they got back, maybe? Hard to resist if you are in the market, and obviously from what's been put together here, in a couple of weeks you will have a firmware update available.

PS: The amazon.com price went down $100 today, so it's $999 there now - full fare assuming that you are "Prime", with 2-day shipping included.

Given the R&D that went into this, I would be surprised if they don't come out with true (as opposed to virtual) Atmos in the not too distant future? Your mileage WILL vary, of course.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 10-02-2018 at 06:43 PM.
post #1223 of 5077 Old 10-02-2018, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

At least those audio objects won't be silent?
Great news for 7.2 and 9.2 owners. Disappointed that other model owners like me apparently won't get the upgrade as the upgrade will most likely only affect the soundbar which is essentially the same between 7.1 Pro DTS:X which I own and the 7.2 and 9.2 models.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie

Last edited by atfree; 10-02-2018 at 06:39 PM.
post #1224 of 5077 Old 10-02-2018, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
Great news for 7.2 and 9.2 owners. Disappointed that other model owners like me apparently won't get the upgrade as the upgrade will most likely only affect the soundbar which is essentially the same between 7.1 Pro DTS:X which I own and the 7.2 and 9.2 models.

I got the impression the FW update would filter down to all sound bars but I could be wrong. He was difficult to understand at times.
post #1225 of 5077 Old 10-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I got the impression the FW update would filter down to all sound bars but I could be wrong. He was difficult to understand at times.

I do have the same feeling as yours. I believe with the way the company is working, they should be working to get the Dolby Atmos support to all soundbars. Not certain but that’s definitely what we, as customer would like to see.

Speaking about virtual Atmos, personally I think the Dolby Atmos decoding is important to be able to decode the audio properly. I believe with the soundbar capability like my 9.2, they should be able to perform well for the surround and bass.

ari821 likes this.

post #1226 of 5077 Old 10-03-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
I contacted Nakamichi last night. They responded this morning. While not exactly confirming that the FW update would be for all soundbars (he asked where I heard it wouldn't be available for the 7.1 Pro DTS:X), reading between the lines it appears that more soundbars than just the 7.2 and 9.2 WILL get the update. Hope it turns out that way.
dreaux, Nouniard, Micarina and 2 others like this.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
Directv Genie
post #1227 of 5077 Old 10-04-2018, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
hi ,

is there any news on any new product from nakamichi? Given the recent price drop , is there a new sound system on the way.
Anybody having any info from their interactions with nakamichi?
post #1228 of 5077 Old 10-04-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post
hi ,

is there any news on any new product from nakamichi? Given the recent price drop , is there a new sound system on the way.
Anybody having any info from their interactions with nakamichi?
I emailed with them 2 nights ago re: Dolby Atmos. They said to watch for a big press release about several things in the next 2 weeks.

Nouniard, Micarina, theike and 1 others like this.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
Directv Genie
post #1229 of 5077 Old 10-06-2018, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ok, I have the 7.2 system my father just bought the same system and I thought mine was good until I heard his.. Holy crap, if this is how its supposed to sound I am missing something on mine... His volume is at 50 and shakes the entire room, mine has to go to 65 and I still don't get the same room filling noise he does.. Any suggestions? It seems as though all of our settings are identical, it almost seems like mine is on a quiet mode or something crazy I'm just not getting the same levels as his.... Help?
post #1230 of 5077 Old 10-06-2018, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
Ok, I have the 7.2 system my father just bought the same system and I thought mine was good until I heard his.. Holy crap, if this is how its supposed to sound I am missing something on mine... His volume is at 50 and shakes the entire room, mine has to go to 65 and I still don't get the same room filling noise he does.. Any suggestions? It seems as though all of our settings are identical, it almost seems like mine is on a quiet mode or something crazy I'm just not getting the same levels as his.... Help?
Well, I decided to trouble shoot ans hooked up my dad's subs to my system... Still nothing.. Then I thought what the heck lemme try the soundbar... I unplugged my hdmi arc and the power cord, plugged them directly into his soundbar and BAM!! The system came back, bass out of control ect.. So I pretty sure I have a bad soundbar as the settings on both are identical! Put in an email to nakamichi support hoping to just exchange out the soundbar for a new one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page