Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1331Likes

post #1231 of 5324 Old 10-06-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Man I really wish I was having the same experience with my Shockwafe Pro 7.1 that you all are. To be honest it was the worst purchase I have made, my $120 Vizio 2.1 put out more volume and bass than my Nak ever has, it is unfortunately to late for me to get any money back for what I paid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 5324 Old 10-06-2018, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Picked up my 9.2 Ultra this morning and am very impressed with the sound of this bar out of the box. I'd like to tweak the levels a bit but I'm having an issue with the dadgum remote. When I press any button, the keypad lights up and stays on forever until I pull a battery out. Other than that it does nothing. Can't even do a firmware upgrade since the remote doesn't work. Anyone else have this issue and get it sorted out? I'm thinking it's broken. I sent an email to support.
post #1233 of 5324 Old 10-06-2018, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
Well, I decided to trouble shoot ans hooked up my dad's subs to my system... Still nothing.. Then I thought what the heck lemme try the soundbar... I unplugged my hdmi arc and the power cord, plugged them directly into his soundbar and BAM!! The system came back, bass out of control ect.. So I pretty sure I have a bad soundbar as the settings on both are identical! Put in an email to nakamichi support hoping to just exchange out the soundbar for a new one!
You might wanna check if both systems are on same firmware.The volume curve is different for both firmware.
https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...lume-increment
Nouniard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 5324 Old 10-07-2018, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Been from Nakamichi replied within 3 hours on a Saturday and said they would ship me a new remote. Now that's some impressive support!

Still blown away by this system.

My only other complaint so far is that when watching cable TV I will lose sound during some commercials and have to change channels and then back to regain the audio. But I presume that is a source issue.
dreaux and Micarina like this.
post #1235 of 5324 Old 10-07-2018, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Man I really wish I was having the same experience with my Shockwafe Pro 7.1 that you all are. To be honest it was the worst purchase I have made, my $120 Vizio 2.1 put out more volume and bass than my Nak ever has, it is unfortunately to late for me to get any money back for what I paid.

Are you having the pro 7.1 or the newer dtsx version? I suspect that you are not getting the right Dolby or dts surround sound for best effect. There are ppl here upgraded from vizio soundbars and they are so impressed. You might want to check out the audio settings on your tv and devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
atfree likes this.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #1236 of 5324 Old 10-07-2018, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Really wish these would pass through DV if it did it would be my first choice

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
post #1237 of 5324 Old 10-08-2018, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by leojj25 View Post
Really wish these would pass through DV if it did it would be my first choice

Agree on the DV pass through as that feature would instantly make the Nak not only the best sound bar but also the best HDR switcher on the market! The lack of DV pass through is not really much of a factor in my setup as my only DV source is the Oppo 203 and I use a 2 cable solution as a workaround. I remain hopeful (perhaps foolishly so) that we will get DV pass through as an add on when the Dolby Atmos upgrades arrive.
hingerson and leojj25 like this.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
post #1238 of 5324 Old 10-08-2018, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. Often when I select HDMI 2 or 3 or HDMI 4 it will go to that source and 1 second later I will lose picture it will go to black and the Naka display says ARC.
No matter what source I select I have no picture and the Naka display says ARC and I can't get out of it.

The only workaround I have found that works sometimes is to disconnect the Naka power for about 5 minutes and then plug back in and it seems to reset. This is definitely not supposed to be happening.
Is this happening to others?
post #1239 of 5324 Old 10-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
Agree on the DV pass through as that feature would instantly make the Nak not only the best sound bar but also the best HDR switcher on the market! The lack of DV pass through is not really much of a factor in my setup as my only DV source is the Oppo 203 and I use a 2 cable solution as a workaround. I remain hopeful (perhaps foolishly so) that we will get DV pass through as an add on when the Dolby Atmos upgrades arrive.

That’s what I was hoping for too. I watch a lot of DV content and not having that basically leaves this system out for me even though you get a lot for your $. If they do not do DV passthrough I will probably end up going with the Vizio 5.1.4

Micarina likes this.

PS4 PRO
post #1240 of 5324 Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. Often when I select HDMI 2 or 3 or HDMI 4 it will go to that source and 1 second later I will lose picture it will go to black and the Naka display says ARC.
No matter what source I select I have no picture and the Naka display says ARC and I can't get out of it.

The only workaround I have found that works sometimes is to disconnect the Naka power for about 5 minutes and then plug back in and it seems to reset. This is definitely not supposed to be happening.
Is this happening to others?

Sounds like could be the cec communication with you tv. You can try to disable the cec feature on your tv to see whether it resolves your issue.

If your tv comes with arc connection, it is 99% that your tv also features cec function, which can be rather painful sometime

dreaux likes this.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #1241 of 5324 Old 10-08-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Are you having the pro 7.1 or the newer dtsx version? I suspect that you are not getting the right Dolby or dts surround sound for best effect. There are ppl here upgraded from vizio soundbars and they are so impressed. You might want to check out the audio settings on your tv and devices

it is the older Pro 7.1, I know this is the wrong forum but that other thread has been dead for a LONG time. ?no all my settings are correct I have been back and forth with Nak support several times, on 2 different issues. One being the overall volume level is terrible, I regularly listen at about %80 max volume with center and surrounds maxed at +10 and I barely hit the high 80's to mid 90's db wise, from 4 or 5 feet away. And some movies I have had to peg the soundbar out at max volume. The other problem is with the sub suddenly having a horrible crackling sound and then going to a low frequency static sound, which I can fix by turning it off and on. Truthfully I have not had that good a luck with Nak customer support on the issue. And frankly I have been looking for something else for sometime. I was just VERY disappointed when I spent almost $550 for it new that it has been out performed by a $150 vizio bar
post #1242 of 5324 Old 10-08-2018, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Sounds like could be the cec communication with you tv. You can try to disable the cec feature on your tv to see whether it resolves your issue.

If your tv comes with arc connection, it is 99% that your tv also features cec function, which can be rather painful sometime

Yeah I have tried any number of fixes. Was on the phone with Naka for 2 hours. We tried everything that is on the help site.
Right now I find that if I hold down HDMI button while changing and don't let it up till I get a picture that seems to work.
Also have to make sure my shoe laces are tied correctly ....lol.
Micarina likes this.
post #1243 of 5324 Old 10-08-2018, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just picked up the 9.2 Ultra and I figured I'd shoot an email to Nak regarding DV and Atmos.

Here's what I asked: "I'm about to buy the 9.2 Ultra and I have a couple questions. First, will Atmos be coming in the form of a firmware update or hardware update? Second, any plans to support Dolby Vision pass-thru?"

Their response: "I cannot disclose much but we will be doing a press release in the next 30 days. You will not be disappointed in terms of these two performance capabilities."

That seems to suggest DV/Atmos is both coming.

On a side note, I see people keep mentioning the lack of up-firing and/or ceiling speakers. Wouldn't it be possible for Nak to sell upgraded ceiling and/or up-firing speakers that replace one of the surround pairs on the 9.2 Ultra? This could even be sold as a kit which includes Atmos firmware and a pair of upgraded speakers in order to recoup the licensing fees associated with Dolby support.
post #1244 of 5324 Old 10-08-2018, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgr215 View Post
I just picked up the 9.2 Ultra and I figured I'd shoot an email to Nak regarding DV and Atmos.

Here's what I asked: "I'm about to buy the 9.2 Ultra and I have a couple questions. First, will Atmos be coming in the form of a firmware update or hardware update? Second, any plans to support Dolby Vision pass-thru?"

Their response: "I cannot disclose much but we will be doing a press release in the next 30 days. You will not be disappointed in terms of these two performance capabilities."

That seems to suggest DV/Atmos is both coming.

On a side note, I see people keep mentioning the lack of up-firing and/or ceiling speakers. Wouldn't it be possible for Nak to sell upgraded ceiling and/or up-firing speakers that replace one of the surround pairs on the 9.2 Ultra? This could even be sold as a kit which includes Atmos firmware and a pair of upgraded speakers in order to recoup the licensing fees associated with Dolby support.

I also asked the same question and they told in the next 30 days atmos is coming to the 9.2 ultra first but ignored my dolby vision pass through. I would rather buy the 9.2 because it is a lot more value than the Vizio 5.1.4 but no Dolby Vision pass through is a huge loss for me

PS4 PRO
post #1245 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I keep missing firmware updates. There was a new one for the 7.1 Pro DTS:X and Elite 7.2 DTS:X models that dropped on September 17th. Not for the 9.2 models apparently.

Firmware 2.1 (September 17, 2018)

1. Improves overall volume curve loudness
2. Increases center channel volume
3. Improves stereo PCM audio listening experience
4. Improves music audio performance in Bluetooth mode
5. Resolves rear surround channel audio issue when playing 5.1 content in Native mode
6. Improves bass performance when listening to music at low volume (Applicable for Bluetooth mode)
8. Includes all improvements in previous firmware (Firmware 1.0C released on July 6, 2018)

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #1246 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
I keep missing firmware updates. There was a new one for the 7.1 Pro DTS:X and Elite 7.2 DTS:X models that dropped on September 17th. Not for the 9.2 models apparently.

Firmware 2.1 (September 17, 2018)

1. Improves overall volume curve loudness
2. Increases center channel volume
3. Improves stereo PCM audio listening experience
4. Improves music audio performance in Bluetooth mode
5. Resolves rear surround channel audio issue when playing 5.1 content in Native mode
6. Improves bass performance when listening to music at low volume (Applicable for Bluetooth mode)
8. Includes all improvements in previous firmware (Firmware 1.0C released on July 6, 2018)
Hi ,

Did you or anyone in the forum apply this update.
Did the overall volume increase after the update
post #1247 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post
Hi ,

I just saw it this morning (I'm at work). I hope to do the update tonight, will post results once I do the update.
Micarina and ari821 like this.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
Directv Genie
post #1248 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Not sure if you have already updated the firmware but I saw one comment in the amazon website( though for 7.2) which says it’s great after the update

“If your underwhelmed DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE!!
ByR. Czekalinskion October 6, 2018
Verified Purchase
Size: Elite 7.2 DTS-X
So I was just "ok" with the sound from this, I emailed customer support who responded within 6hrs and they recommended performing the firmware update... Omg I can't even explain what a difference that made! The subs CAME TO LIFE! I wanna say it's at least 2x as good but it's hard to describe in words what a difference it made! These don't come with the updated firmware so if you are unhappy or underwhelmed with the sound, especially coming from the subs, then do the update and see what a difference it makes!! Fantastic surround system for the price!!”

Hope this helps
Micarina likes this.
post #1249 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure if you have already updated the firmware but I saw one comment in the amazon website( though for 7.2) which says it’s great after the update

“If your underwhelmed DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE!!
ByR. Czekalinskion October 6, 2018
Verified Purchase
Size: Elite 7.2 DTS-X
So I was just "ok" with the sound from this, I emailed customer support who responded within 6hrs and they recommended performing the firmware update... Omg I can't even explain what a difference that made! The subs CAME TO LIFE! I wanna say it's at least 2x as good but it's hard to describe in words what a difference it made! These don't come with the updated firmware so if you are unhappy or underwhelmed with the sound, especially coming from the subs, then do the update and see what a difference it makes!! Fantastic surround system for the price!!”

Hope this helps
Unfortunately they don't have new firmware for the 2016 Pro 7.1. Its ok though thank you. Im looking at other options at the moment, I might just break down and go full AVR 5.1 instead of a soundbar.
leojj25 likes this.
post #1250 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

So spoke to another Naka rep today and he said no Dolby Vision pass through anytime soon on current systems or future systems for now

PS4 PRO
post #1251 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
So spoke to another Naka rep today and he said no Dolby Vision pass through anytime soon on current systems or future systems for now

Hope the firmware is released soon so that we know what’s part of it.
leojj25 likes this.
post #1252 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Hi ,

Ok, I updated to the newest FW (2.1) on my Pro 7.1 DTS:X.

Loudness definitely increased. I think they reverted back to the original curve. When I first got my unit, I generally kept volume for normal listening between 35 and 40. When the did the first FW update, I had to raise it to 50-55 to get same level of sound. With this latest update, I'm bach down in the 35 range for normal listening.

Still testing the other things they mentioned in the FW update.

Remember, after you update FW you'll need to go back and re-do any custom settings (center volume, surround volumes, etc), as the FW update will revert many settings back to their original, out-of-the-box states.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
ari821 likes this.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
Directv Genie
post #1253 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:

I am surprised as last time someone in the forum asked them and they replied positively for DV.
Probably the licensing dint go through 🤔
I wish this press release is done soon so that we come to know what is there.
Moreover with the recent price drop I think there is some new product being launched.
leojj25 likes this.
post #1254 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I kinda feel like something new is coming too. Especially with the price drop. If I can get Atmos I’m good. DV passthrough I can live without since my x700 Blu-ray player has a separate hdmi out for audio only.

Sony XBR55X900F
Sony UBP-X700
Onkyo TX-NR787
Def Tech CS9040 & BP9020 x2
Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR Andrew Jones x2
post #1255 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Got your message, thanks.

Do you plan to get a 4K Blu-Ray player? If so, make sure to get one that has a separate hdmi out for audio only. That way you don't need DV passthrough. If you only plan to stream everything then I see why you want that option.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #1256 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Got your message, thanks.

Do you plan to get a 4K Blu-Ray player? If so, make sure to get one that has a separate hdmi out for audio only. That way you don't need DV passthrough. If you only plan to stream everything then I see why you want that option.

For now I stream everything & plan on keeping it that way for now. I have considered a 4K blu-ray player but do not have any blu-rays at the moment to convince me to pull the trigger on one even though I know pq and audio is better on blu-ray vs streaming.

PS4 PRO
post #1257 of 5324 Old 10-09-2018, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So I just took delivery of my 9.2 system and I'm underwhelmed. Is anyone else finding that the Nak seems to be VERY picky about audio, depending on the device? I don't mean the format (e.g. PCM/dolby/dts/etc.). I mean certain devices produce radically different results despite being correctly configured (e.g. configured to output Dolby Digital). My Tivo, for example, requires at least 70% volume. I can even push it to MAX and the audio isn't earth shattering loud to any extent. Meanwhile, the volume is more acceptable using other sources. My Zappiti local streamer only requires around 50% volume to produce decent sound (and 65% to be fairly loud for movies). However, the volume range still seems to be a bit strange overall. On virtually every source there's pretty much no volume until around the 25% mark (40% for the Tivo).

I'm certain my connections and settings are correct. All devices are configured to output Dolby at a minimum and the soundbar confirms Dolby is indeed working. I've also tried different cables and I'm using the latest firmware. I even bypassed ARC to make sure it wasn't an issue with my TV (LG B7A OLED).

Just to give a comparison: I'm coming from a Sonos 5.1 setup. The Sonos literally seemed like I could break windows if I wasn't careful. I generally had it at a max of 30% at most. Anything past 50% was far too loud to be enjoyable.
post #1258 of 5324 Old 10-10-2018, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
So I just took delivery of my 9.2 system and I'm underwhelmed. Is anyone else finding that the Nak seems to be VERY picky about audio, depending on the device? I don't mean the format (e.g. PCM/dolby/dts/etc.). I mean certain devices produce radically different results despite being correctly configured (e.g. configured to output Dolby Digital). My Tivo, for example, requires at least 70% volume. I can even push it to MAX and the audio isn't earth shattering loud to any extent. Meanwhile, the volume is more acceptable using other sources. My Zappiti local streamer only requires around 50% volume to produce decent sound (and 65% to be fairly loud for movies). However, the volume range still seems to be a bit strange overall. On virtually every source there's pretty much no volume until around the 25% mark (40% for the Tivo).

I'm certain my connections and settings are correct. All devices are configured to output Dolby at a minimum and the soundbar confirms Dolby is indeed working. I've also tried different cables and I'm using the latest firmware. I even bypassed ARC to make sure it wasn't an issue with my TV (LG B7A OLED).

Just to give a comparison: I'm coming from a Sonos 5.1 setup. The Sonos literally seemed like I could break windows if I wasn't careful. I generally had it at a max of 30% at most. Anything past 50% was far too loud to be enjoyable.
Is your firmware up to date?

Try this firmware to see if it helps with your issue.
https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...pgrade-ultra92

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #1259 of 5324 Old 10-10-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to hear that, seems strange. My Naka 9.2 is very loud. Sounds like you have the latest FW and everything set up right.

I would call Natamichi and tell them what is going on. I called them the other day and they stayed on the phone for an hour. My issue was a CEC problem.

Their support system is very good.
post #1260 of 5324 Old 10-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
Ok, I updated to the newest FW (2.1) on my Pro 7.1 DTS:X.

Loudness definitely increased. I think they reverted back to the original curve. When I first got my unit, I generally kept volume for normal listening between 35 and 40. When the did the first FW update, I had to raise it to 50-55 to get same level of sound. With this latest update, I'm bach down in the 35 range for normal listening.

Still testing the other things they mentioned in the FW update.

Remember, after you update FW you'll need to go back and re-do any custom settings (center volume, surround volumes, etc), as the FW update will revert many settings back to their original, out-of-the-box states.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Weird,
I still need to get to 50-70

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page