Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1327Likes

post #1261 of 5300 Old 10-10-2018, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadavar View Post
Weird,
I still need to get to 50-70

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Did you update your firmware as well ?

What source are you both playing from?

It is so strange that so many people are having such drastic difference in experience with same products.

I hope naka’ s QC is good enough to have minimal acceptable difference for same products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 5300 Old 10-10-2018, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Yeah, updated as well, tried Dolby and DTS.
seems to be about the same as before maybe a bit louder

post #1263 of 5300 Old 10-10-2018, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 67
And make sure you follow the FW upgrade instructions fully...disconnect all HDMI cables, etc.

AND do a RESET after the FW update is done and the soundbar has restarted. The first firmware update I did, I neglected to do the reset and didn't see changes. After I did the reset, there was a big different. Also, I don't reconnect the HDMI cables until after all is complete.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 5300 Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Did the reset, I actually think it helps.
Though I think the main difference (actually like they've said if I think about it - they changed the gradient) is that the volume starts to be loud on smaller values than before and the DB levels at the highs are about the same as before.

post #1265 of 5300 Old 10-11-2018, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
it is the older Pro 7.1, I know this is the wrong forum but that other thread has been dead for a LONG time. ?no all my settings are correct I have been back and forth with Nak support several times, on 2 different issues. One being the overall volume level is terrible, I regularly listen at about %80 max volume with center and surrounds maxed at +10 and I barely hit the high 80's to mid 90's db wise, from 4 or 5 feet away. And some movies I have had to peg the soundbar out at max volume. The other problem is with the sub suddenly having a horrible crackling sound and then going to a low frequency static sound, which I can fix by turning it off and on. Truthfully I have not had that good a luck with Nak customer support on the issue. And frankly I have been looking for something else for sometime. I was just VERY disappointed when I spent almost $550 for it new that it has been out performed by a $150 vizio bar
what kind of devices you are using? are you getting dolby or dts audio on your soundbar?
post #1266 of 5300 Old 10-11-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgr215 View Post
So I just took delivery of my 9.2 system and I'm underwhelmed. Is anyone else finding that the Nak seems to be VERY picky about audio, depending on the device? I don't mean the format (e.g. PCM/dolby/dts/etc.). I mean certain devices produce radically different results despite being correctly configured (e.g. configured to output Dolby Digital). My Tivo, for example, requires at least 70% volume. I can even push it to MAX and the audio isn't earth shattering loud to any extent. Meanwhile, the volume is more acceptable using other sources. My Zappiti local streamer only requires around 50% volume to produce decent sound (and 65% to be fairly loud for movies). However, the volume range still seems to be a bit strange overall. On virtually every source there's pretty much no volume until around the 25% mark (40% for the Tivo).

I'm certain my connections and settings are correct. All devices are configured to output Dolby at a minimum and the soundbar confirms Dolby is indeed working. I've also tried different cables and I'm using the latest firmware. I even bypassed ARC to make sure it wasn't an issue with my TV (LG B7A OLED).

Just to give a comparison: I'm coming from a Sonos 5.1 setup. The Sonos literally seemed like I could break windows if I wasn't careful. I generally had it at a max of 30% at most. Anything past 50% was far too loud to be enjoyable.
My nak 9.2 works well and loud in my living room. my volume won't go beyond 80 as I can even heard it outside of my house. I am not using TiVo so I cant comment much about it. But it does behave noticeably difference between PCM vs dolby/dts audio, which dolby and dts audio perform significantly better. It is common that different devices have different audio output qualities. Apple TV 4K outputs a slightly lower loudness compared to amazon fire tv cube.
post #1267 of 5300 Old 10-11-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadavar View Post
Did the reset, I actually think it helps.
Though I think the main difference (actually like they've said if I think about it - they changed the gradient) is that the volume starts to be loud on smaller values than before and the DB levels at the highs are about the same as before.

yes indeed. they did explain it on their website about the volume adjustment change. it is ok as long it is the same loudness as before. just that people might be skeptical about the volume figure need to be quite high for decent loudness. it is still a powerful system with the same max loudness
post #1268 of 5300 Old 10-11-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post
Did you update your firmware as well ?

What source are you both playing from?

It is so strange that so many people are having such drastic difference in experience with same products.

I hope naka’ s QC is good enough to have minimal acceptable difference for same products
I think it is not just about naka qc. different types of content device behave differently, which is perfectly common in the industry. you can hear the difference between tv build in netflix app vs ATV 4K netflix app vs amazon fire tv cube netflix app. this is just how messy the overall industry is having right now. there isn't a standard to follow. not to mention different audio formats also playback differently.

if the atmos and vision support are true to be coming soon, I will be switching my primary content device to ATV 4k as that is the only one in the market right now with dolby atmos and dolby vision output.
post #1269 of 5300 Old 10-11-2018, 02:31 PM

Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
I think it is not just about naka qc. different types of content device behave differently, which is perfectly common in the industry. you can hear the difference between tv build in netflix app vs ATV 4K netflix app vs amazon fire tv cube netflix app. this is just how messy the overall industry is having right now. there isn't a standard to follow. not to mention different audio formats also playback differently.

if the atmos and vision support are true to be coming soon, I will be switching my primary content device to ATV 4k as that is the only one in the market right now with dolby atmos and dolby vision output.

You are correct, probably wat I intended to say was that for the same nakamichi product like 7.2 with same input device, the difference should be minimal , I mean one 7.2 owner should not face lot of difference from another 7.2 owner.I understand it is difficult with acoustic systems because individual experience is very subjective.

Btw, incase the Atmos update happens , I am planning to buy the Xbox one S with a remote,as it should b similar to ATV price during black Friday with a 4K uhd player and Atmos/DV support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Micarina likes this.

Last edited by ari821; 10-11-2018 at 03:05 PM.
post #1270 of 5300 Old 10-11-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
what kind of devices you are using? are you getting dolby or dts audio on your soundbar?
PS4, Sony UHD player and Smart TV apps from my tv, via optical out form the TV and its outputting PCM. I even tried using the Audio out hdmi on my UHD player as well, no matter the source, overall volume level never gets that high. For example I watched Sicario Day of the Soldado Tuesday, I was sitting at about 90% max volume, with center and surrounds both pegged at +10 and on a loud scene, with close up gunshots, sitting 5 feet from my tv and soundbar my MAX db was about 85 to 89, and that is with ALL the levels maxed out. It's really strange though, I know there is more headroom volume wise, I was watching the old Star Wars movies, and I had to turn the volume down to about 50% because it was way to loud. So I know it can produce more volume overall because I have heard it, but there is no consistency to it whatsoever. And I know movies vary in loudness, but in general usage, I have the volume at about 75% or 80% of max to get decent volume out of it. I have the most recent firmware, which is quite old at this point but it seems they are not updating the old 2016 Pro 7.1 anymore. I don't know I thought for what I paid for it, that I would get a lot more compared to the $125 Vizio bar I had before, which I NEVER maxed the volume out on. At this point I am thinking of either getting a JBL Bar 3.1 or maybe just breaking down and going with a full AVR and speakers, which I have kind of avoided due to space issues.
post #1271 of 5300 Old 10-11-2018, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just updated FW2.1 last night and tested with usual YouTube music videos. It is the best so far. It has the best of previous firmwares plus mids are richer.

I have not tested the Bluetooth audio or movies yet.
atfree likes this.
post #1272 of 5300 Old 10-11-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Btw, incase the Atmos update happens , I am planning to buy the Xbox one S with a remote,as it should b similar to ATV price during black Friday with a 4K uhd player and Atmos/DV support
Consider power consumption. I was using the launch PS4 to play Blu-ray movies. Then I bought a dedicated UHD 4k Blu-ray player (Magnavox). Power consumption went from ~150 watts to ~15 watts.

Dedicated player also loads the disc much faster. It was done after I sat back on the couch. There is no need to deal with constant firmware updates when you just want to watch a movie.
Micarina and ari821 like this.
post #1273 of 5300 Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So I'm still not completely satisfied with this soundbar. My father's system sounds SOOOO much better and he has the "older" firmware. I did upgrade my firmware and told him not to do it after I did mine. It's just not getting near the same bass that his is and you can't turn the volume on his past 45 without the whole house shaking.... Mine is well into 50 and 60s and not the same depth from the subs.. And I know the volume curve is different but I don't like it.

Anyway to go back to the old firmware?!

Those that did upgrade what are your sound settings? I have to have the bass @ 8 to get near what I'm looking for
post #1274 of 5300 Old 10-11-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar Seawolf View Post
Consider power consumption. I was using the launch PS4 to play Blu-ray movies. Then I bought a dedicated UHD 4k Blu-ray player (Magnavox). Power consumption went from ~150 watts to ~15 watts.

Dedicated player also loads the disc much faster. It was done after I sat back on the couch. There is no need to deal with constant firmware updates when you just want to watch a movie.

Didn’t think about it, thanks will consider

post #1275 of 5300 Old 10-11-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
So I'm still not completely satisfied with this soundbar. My father's system sounds SOOOO much better and he has the "older" firmware. I did upgrade my firmware and told him not to do it after I did mine. It's just not getting near the same bass that his is and you can't turn the volume on his past 45 without the whole house shaking.... Mine is well into 50 and 60s and not the same depth from the subs.. And I know the volume curve is different but I don't like it.

Those that did upgrade what are your sound settings? I have to have the bass @ 8 to get near what I'm looking for

As per few people here, once they updated the latest firmware 2.1 (sept 17th) and followed the reset procedure mentioned after firmware upgrade , the loudness did increase for them. Having said that the original firmware was loud near 35-50 volume setting.Naka changed the volume curve with the new firmware keeping the overall master volume same though.

https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...lume-increment

post #1276 of 5300 Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
PS4, Sony UHD player and Smart TV apps from my tv, via optical out form the TV and its outputting PCM. I even tried using the Audio out hdmi on my UHD player as well, no matter the source, overall volume level never gets that high. For example I watched Sicario Day of the Soldado Tuesday, I was sitting at about 90% max volume, with center and surrounds both pegged at +10 and on a loud scene, with close up gunshots, sitting 5 feet from my tv and soundbar my MAX db was about 85 to 89, and that is with ALL the levels maxed out. It's really strange though, I know there is more headroom volume wise, I was watching the old Star Wars movies, and I had to turn the volume down to about 50% because it was way to loud. So I know it can produce more volume overall because I have heard it, but there is no consistency to it whatsoever. And I know movies vary in loudness, but in general usage, I have the volume at about 75% or 80% of max to get decent volume out of it. I have the most recent firmware, which is quite old at this point but it seems they are not updating the old 2016 Pro 7.1 anymore. I don't know I thought for what I paid for it, that I would get a lot more compared to the $125 Vizio bar I had before, which I NEVER maxed the volume out on. At this point I am thinking of either getting a JBL Bar 3.1 or maybe just breaking down and going with a full AVR and speakers, which I have kind of avoided due to space issues.

Try to connect the PS4, uhd player directly to the naka and set the PS4 audio to bitstream.
If you are connecting them to tv make sure that your tv is set to pass through in bitstream.
If your soundbar gets pcm input the sound will be muffled and you won’t get best out of it.

For eg: I connect my PS4 pro to the naka and then set audio to bitstream DTS and the naka arc to my tv’s hdmi in or arc.
I get naka displaying DTS this way for the apps ( like Netflix) or games in PS4.
You can also chose bitstream Dolby in PS4, then the naka will display Dolby digital.

If naka shows pcm then the sound is not good for me either.

Reach out to naka giving your exact setup , they will tell you how to maximize output with your devices. Initially I too had issues with sound but when I reached out to them through email , they gave me step by step instruction for the connections and voila everything was great after that.
Naka also has help guides for setup of each devices.
Moreover, if you are playing a dtsx blue ray through PS4 , ensure that while playing press the option key in the controller and select audio output to bitstream else the naka will detect multichannel pcm.

Micarina likes this.
post #1277 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 05:53 AM

Subwoofer placement makes a huge difference for me. I wasn't completely happy with the bass until I tried different locations.

Non-high speed HDMI cable can affect the sound volume low. I tried out Bose SoundTouch 300 and when I reconnected my Shockwave 7.2, I used the wrong HDMI cable between TV for ARC. Not only the volume was low, everytime I changed volume, the sound got cut off and reinitialize.
Micarina and theike like this.
post #1278 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Try to connect the PS4, uhd player directly to the naka and set the PS4 audio to bitstream.
If you are connecting them to tv make sure that your tv is set to pass through in bitstream.
If your soundbar gets pcm input the sound will be muffled and you won’t get best out of it.

For eg: I connect my PS4 pro to the naka and then set audio to bitstream DTS and the naka arc to my tv’s hdmi in or arc.
I get naka displaying DTS this way for the apps ( like Netflix) or games in PS4.
You can also chose bitstream Dolby in PS4, then the naka will display Dolby digital.

If naka shows pcm then the sound is not good for me either.

Reach out to naka giving your exact setup , they will tell you how to maximize output with your devices. Initially I too had issues with sound but when I reached out to them through email , they gave me step by step instruction for the connections and voila everything was great after that.
Naka also has help guides for setup of each devices.
Moreover, if you are playing a dtsx blue ray through PS4 , ensure that while playing press the option key in the controller and select audio output to bitstream else the naka will detect multichannel pcm.

Oh I have talked with Nak support already, I have everything outputting in the proper format to the soundbar, and there was a small boost in volume after playing with it when I talked to them. I guess its just he whole uneveness of the volume level that gets me. I mean I know the volume is there but there seems to be no reliable way to access it or use it.
post #1279 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:

It is better to get your device and tv to output Dolby or DTS audio for better audio. I think you can start by configuring your Sony uhd player to output Dolby or DTS audio and connect to soundbar with hdmi cable. And connect your soundbar output to tv arc using hdmi cable.

If you have not try to this yet, you can take this as starting point. Don’t forget to check out their support page for audio settings for devices.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #1280 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 08:16 AM

Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread

Quote:

That’s a good thought. The constant firmware updates could be a pain sometime.

Does the magnavox player work well with the system? I’m considering to upgrade my disc player to uhd version. Would be great if you can share your experience with it.

Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #1281 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Does the magnavox player work well with the system? I’m considering to upgrade my disc player to uhd version. Would be great if you can share your experience with it.

It works very well. I have the UHD player connected to Shockwafe on HDMI3. Magnavox player showed up on TV as one of the input.

If I choose it, Shockwafe will change from ARC to HDMI3 and turn on the Magnavox UHD player. If I turn off the TV, both Shockwafe and Magnavox will go off too. Very nice as CEC works as designed.

There is no need to use the controller to shutdown the game console.
Micarina likes this.
post #1282 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Oh I have talked with Nak support already, I have everything outputting in the proper format to the soundbar, and there was a small boost in volume after playing with it when I talked to them. I guess its just he whole uneveness of the volume level that gets me. I mean I know the volume is there but there seems to be no reliable way to access it or use it.

Yeah it is always better to use hdmi 2.0 high speed cable for better video and audio signal pass thru. Highly recommended

post #1283 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
It works very well. I have the UHD player connected to Shockwafe on HDMI3. Magnavox player showed up on TV as one of the input.

If I choose it, Shockwafe will change from ARC to HDMI3 and turn on the Magnavox UHD player. If I turn off the TV, both Shockwafe and Magnavox will go off too. Very nice as CEC works as designed.

There is no need to use the controller to shutdown the game console.

Oh that’s nice. Never experience such seamless control with my setup before. Would you mind to share which tv model you are using? Still, sounds like I should give magnavox a try

post #1284 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Maybe we misunderstood what you said previously but if you have get it setup correctly, you shouldn’t be receiving pcm on your soundbar. Pcm doesn’t sound good and under utilize the soundbar capability

ari821 likes this.

post #1285 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
As per few people here, once they updated the latest firmware 2.1 (sept 17th) and followed the reset procedure mentioned after firmware upgrade , the loudness did increase for them. Having said that the original firmware was loud near 35-50 volume setting.Naka changed the volume curve with the new firmware keeping the overall master volume same though.

https://www.helpdesk.nakamichi-usa.c...lume-increment

Ya regardless of which firmware, the max loudness is always the same. I think they are just keep refining the volume curve for better user experience.

Based on recent feedback here, it sounds like the latest firmware gives a better volume adjustment result. Too bad they have yet release it for 9.2.

post #1286 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post

I suggest you should drop an email to nak customer support [email protected] they should be able to help you to identify the issue. They are pretty responsive

post #1287 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe we misunderstood what you said previously but if you have get it setup correctly, you shouldn’t be receiving pcm on your soundbar. Pcm doesn’t sound good and under utilize the soundbar capability

Well it may be bitstream to the soundbar, which ever the one Nak support recommends is what I am using output from my tv.
ari821 likes this.
post #1288 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:

I thought you mentioned that you r getting PCM.If the setting is correct then you shouldn’t get PCM.
PCM will not give you the best sound experience.
If not already tried , try connecting the PS4 to naka directly and select bitstream output in the PS4

post #1289 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Oh that’s nice. Never experience such seamless control with my setup before. Would you mind to share which tv model you are using? Still, sounds like I should give magnavox a try

LeEco super4 x55. It runs on Android TV.
Micarina likes this.
post #1290 of 5300 Old 10-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:

The only other reason I was considering Xbox one s was that it’s Netflix app supports Atmos . If I am not wrong it’s the only device other than lg oled which has Netflix app with Atmos support

Micarina likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page