Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1337Likes

post #1321 of 5349 Old 10-25-2018, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have been looking at a full surround setup to get back into home theater, but while I wait for black Friday and cyber Monday deals, if this does get Atmos support I may just have to pull the trigger on the 9.2. I have a very open downstairs floorplan and running wires is going to be tough so if All I have to run is from the surrounds to the subs and this performs I may pull the trigger.

Question though would Atmos only be on the 9.2 and turn it into a 7.2.2 or would the bar itself do the Atmos part and be 7.2.2 and 9.2.4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 5349 Old 10-25-2018, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa071 View Post
I have been looking at a full surround setup to get back into home theater, but while I wait for black Friday and cyber Monday deals, if this does get Atmos support I may just have to pull the trigger on the 9.2. I have a very open downstairs floorplan and running wires is going to be tough so if All I have to run is from the surrounds to the subs and this performs I may pull the trigger.

Question though would Atmos only be on the 9.2 and turn it into a 7.2.2 or would the bar itself do the Atmos part and be 7.2.2 and 9.2.4?

As a 9.2 owner, I am very interested to find out the answer too. I wonder what’s the speaker config goin to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pumbaa071 likes this.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #1323 of 5349 Old 10-25-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Finally pulled the trigger today, bought the 9.2 refurbished one, with ebay 10% code. Post the coupon code here if anyone is interested, only valid today: PICKUPTEN.

I guess the next question is which one should I get to fully experience DTS:X (and Dolby Atmos in the future if they update the firmware) from Netflix for example. Should I get Roku ultra, Chrome cast, NVIDIA Shield, or Apple TV?

Thanks!

DtsX content only comes with Blu-ray Disc. A few of the good ones you can consider getting it including lone survivor 4K, Jurassic world 2 and Harry porter series can be good too.

For online content, currently it is only support Dolby digital plus 5.1, some with atmos. Personally with my experience, amazon fire tv cube is pretty powerful and stable with the soundbar. Apple TV will be a better option if eventually the soundbar support atmos and vision because Apple TV is the only machine provide atmos and Vision output.

Nvidia shield can be a good choice too if you are more advanced user.

Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 5349 Old 10-25-2018, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the recommendations! I have a Samsung 8500 series, which comes with all the apps I need. In that case, do I still need to have streaming device? It seems like the native apps on Samsung TV can output 5.1 already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
DtsX content only comes with Blu-ray Disc. A few of the good ones you can consider getting it including lone survivor 4K, Jurassic world 2 and Harry porter series can be good too.

For online content, currently it is only support Dolby digital plus 5.1, some with atmos. Personally with my experience, amazon fire tv cube is pretty powerful and stable with the soundbar. Apple TV will be a better option if eventually the soundbar support atmos and vision because Apple TV is the only machine provide atmos and Vision output.

Nvidia shield can be a good choice too if you are more advanced user.

post #1325 of 5349 Old 10-25-2018, 11:42 AM

Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations! I have a Samsung 8500 series, which comes with all the apps I need. In that case, do I still need to have streaming device? It seems like the native apps on Samsung TV can output 5.1 already.

As long you can stream content in 5.1 surround on your tv , which I believe Samsung tv should be good for that since I’m using it as well, you don’t need any streaming devices for now.

Just to make sure you get the tv audio settings right by outputting bitstream format or Dolby for Netflix

post #1326 of 5349 Old 10-25-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
As a 9.2 owner, I am very interested to find out the answer too. I wonder what’s the speaker config goin to be

I am assuming it is going to be a 7.2.2 setup and you will mount 1 set of speakers above the others. I can only imagine that would be it, but as an owner how does the 9.2 do? With the system already using the end of the bar to bounce sound off the walls and floor and everything does it sound almost like atmos now?
post #1327 of 5349 Old 10-25-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I am assuming it is going to be a 7.2.2 setup and you will mount 1 set of speakers above the others. I can only imagine that would be it, but as an owner how does the 9.2 do? With the system already using the end of the bar to bounce sound off the walls and floor and everything does it sound almost like atmos now?

The 9.2 itself is great in terms of surround and bass. The bar plays good vocal too. It does has a bit of height sometimes depending on the content. The interesting part is if you place the surround speaker slightly higher than your ear level, the height effect is even better. That’s a bit cheating but overall it is an all rounder

pumbaa071 likes this.

post #1328 of 5349 Old 10-25-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
The 9.2 itself is great in terms of surround and bass. The bar plays good vocal too. It does has a bit of height sometimes depending on the content. The interesting part is if you place the surround speaker slightly higher than your ear level, the height effect is even better. That’s a bit cheating but overall it is an all rounder

Thanks for the reply, and this makes it tough to decide now because the value and ease makes this something I really am considering instead of a full blown setup since this will be in the living room and the wife is iffy on bigger speakers.
post #1329 of 5349 Old 10-25-2018, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Post 1220 on this thread, it appears (if you believe the post) that additional speakers are NOT going to be required:

Atmos

I was on the phone with a Nakamichi tech for 2 1/2 hours this afternoon. Lots of issues with my Samsung CEC playing nice with my Naka 9.2 Ultra. So far I think it is a Samsung issue.

While talking I asked him if Nakamichi is planning a Dolby Atmos update. He said yes it will be coming out for the 9.2 in 2 to 3 weeks. 7.2 upgrade will follow. He said it will be a FW update. I asked since we don't have up-firing speakers how is this going to work. He said it will be 'Artificial Intelligence' creating it. I take that to mean virtual effects much like sound bars that can create 5.1 without rear speakers.
At least those audio objects won't be silent?

It will be interesting to see how this works. A Naka rep told me that the Atmos wouldn't be limited to the 7.2 and 9.2 systems, that the 7.1 will get it as well.
pumbaa071 likes this.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #1330 of 5349 Old 10-25-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
Post 1220 on this thread, it appears (if you believe the post) that additional speakers are NOT going to be required:

Atmos

I was on the phone with a Nakamichi tech for 2 1/2 hours this afternoon. Lots of issues with my Samsung CEC playing nice with my Naka 9.2 Ultra. So far I think it is a Samsung issue.

While talking I asked him if Nakamichi is planning a Dolby Atmos update. He said yes it will be coming out for the 9.2 in 2 to 3 weeks. 7.2 upgrade will follow. He said it will be a FW update. I asked since we don't have up-firing speakers how is this going to work. He said it will be 'Artificial Intelligence' creating it. I take that to mean virtual effects much like sound bars that can create 5.1 without rear speakers.

It will be interesting to see how this works. A Naka rep told me that the Atmos wouldn't be limited to the 7.2 and 9.2 systems, that the 7.1 will get it as well.

Thank you, I was trying to read through the thread and see if there was more info. I'd guess if you moved the 9.2 into like a 7.2.4 setup with the 2 end units of the soundbar throwing sound up and 2 of the rear speakers up higher you would get an Atmos like feel and the "artificial" effect would be even better. I think I am going to pull the trigger on this unit and go from there as this might be easier in my living room and with DTS:X being their version of Atmos and has support now.

Thanks for the update.
post #1331 of 5349 Old 10-25-2018, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Man, this promised update coming in 2 weeks is nearly 3 months old.
pumbaa071 and leojj25 like this.
post #1332 of 5349 Old 10-25-2018, 03:02 PM

This is what Nakamachi gets back to me. They also recommend Amazon Fire, which support Dolby Atmos too:
"You can use the TV to stream your favorite apps. However, here's our recommendation. Today’s smart TVs deliver amazing quality picture combined with sleek elegance. Each year, we will perform a compatibility test with all the major name brand TVs and streaming devices. Our conclusion is that the smart apps built into the TV platform are inferior in terms of audio output as compared to even a $79 smart BluRay player. I will strongly recommend not using the built in apps within the TV for streaming purposes. You can use your BluRay player, or if you want something dedicated, Amazon Fire 4K is the best in terms of audio output."
Quote:
As long you can stream content in 5.1 surround on your tv , which I believe Samsung tv should be good for that since I’m using it as well, you don’t need any streaming devices for now.

Just to make sure you get the tv audio settings right by outputting bitstream format or Dolby for Netflix

post #1333 of 5349 Old 10-26-2018, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Since the update (I think it wasn't before but not sure). Volume levels for movie and dsp off are completely different.
Volume 70 at dsp off is about the same as 45 in movie eq.
Anyone else experiencing it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #1334 of 5349 Old 10-27-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
This is what Nakamachi gets back to me. They also recommend Amazon Fire, which support Dolby Atmos too:

"You can use the TV to stream your favorite apps. However, here's our recommendation. Today’s smart TVs deliver amazing quality picture combined with sleek elegance. Each year, we will perform a compatibility test with all the major name brand TVs and streaming devices. Our conclusion is that the smart apps built into the TV platform are inferior in terms of audio output as compared to even a $79 smart BluRay player. I will strongly recommend not using the built in apps within the TV for streaming purposes. You can use your BluRay player, or if you want something dedicated, Amazon Fire 4K is the best in terms of audio output."

That’s what Nak told me previously but since I have couple of streaming devices at home. I have personally tested it and concluded that amazon fire tv cube is so far the best with my 9.2. We just have to wait until Netflix on amazon fire tv start supporting atmos content. That will make it the perfect device for online content.

post #1335 of 5349 Old 10-27-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadavar View Post
Since the update (I think it wasn't before but not sure). Volume levels for movie and dsp off are completely different.
Volume 70 at dsp off is about the same as 45 in movie eq.
Anyone else experiencing it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That’s interesting. I always notice the dsp off mode is softer than the rest of the eq. I guess it is the eq that improve the dynamic of the audio which make it sounds louder than the off mode.

post #1336 of 5349 Old 10-27-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujacc View Post
Man, this promised update coming in 2 weeks is nearly 3 months old.

Haha even for the big brands like Sony promised Dolby vision upgraded for x9000F. I waited for a few months, just right after I bought my Samsung TV, they finally released it. I hope they get everything right first rather rushing it out to the market with bugs.

post #1337 of 5349 Old 10-28-2018, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post

Atmos

What does Atmos provide and what should we expect? Well, I have to ask the question “What does Atmos really mean?” Since it includes everything from arrays of overhead speakers to two 1/8” speaker holes on the bottom of a cell phone, and since my 7.2 processes Atmos tracks excellently, I would have to guess that Atmos means nothing more than brand name licensing royalties, and Whatever is, will be.
post #1338 of 5349 Old 10-28-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Anyone here using their Shockwafe system with DirecTV? I am trying to program my DirecTV RC65 remote to adjust the volume on my 9.2 system and none of the Nakamichi codes supplied by DirecTV are working. Anyone here found a code that will work?

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
post #1339 of 5349 Old 10-28-2018, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
What does Atmos provide and what should we expect? Well, I have to ask the question “What does Atmos really mean?” Since it includes everything from arrays of overhead speakers to two 1/8” speaker holes on the bottom of a cell phone, and since my 7.2 processes Atmos tracks excellently, I would have to guess that Atmos means nothing more than brand name licensing royalties, and Whatever is, will be.

Atmos is something distinct, even if implementations on things like phones fall far from its potential, design goals and real requirements. Properly implemented in a home theater environment it not only brings the capacity for discrete overhead effects, but also can create and enrich the whole hemispherical sound field, creating real depth.

A well prepared meal is much more than a poorly prepared meal, even if both are called meals.
Micarina likes this.

Last edited by taichi4; 10-28-2018 at 01:33 PM.
post #1340 of 5349 Old 10-28-2018, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You really sound like the Dolby Labs Marketing Dept.
post #1341 of 5349 Old 10-28-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 318
To disabuse you of your erroneous assumption, I'm a bigger fan of DTS:X because it is more flexible and tolerant of different speaker arrangements.
post #1342 of 5349 Old 10-28-2018, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With Atmos updates, might just push me to pick this up. Glad they’re still doing updates.
post #1343 of 5349 Old 10-28-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
To disabuse you of your erroneous assumption, I'm a bigger fan of DTS:X because it is more flexible and tolerant of different speaker arrangements.

Yup agree. I feel the DtsX effects are more natural and not as exaggerated as Dolby Atmos effects, which sometime can be quite distracting.

post #1344 of 5349 Old 10-29-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I've always thought DTS was marginally better while Dolby had the more recognizable name. I'm sure various levels of their top technologies have been superior. The main thing to me is just having the ability to properly receive these signals and convert them to the best quality the soundbar allows. Hopefully any Atmos would improve DD+ as well since the majority of my UHD disks are Dolby.
leojj25, Micarina and ari821 like this.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #1345 of 5349 Old 10-29-2018, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
I've always thought DTS was marginally better while Dolby had the more recognizable name. I'm sure various levels of their top technologies have been superior. The main thing to me is just having the ability to properly receive these signals and convert them to the best quality the soundbar allows. Hopefully any Atmos would improve DD+ as well since the majority of my UHD disks are Dolby.

Me too just waiting for this update as this will ensure DD+.
I don’t care much about true Atmos but the fact that DD+ will ensure better sound for most of the streaming apps like Netflix and enhance the output from the soundbar

atfree, Micarina and nadavar like this.
post #1346 of 5349 Old 10-31-2018, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 882
I was looking at the good reviews on this soundbar and was considering it seriously as a simply setup in my master bedroom. I don't NEED a 7.1.2 setup in this room but I already have in-ceiling speakers that will otherwise go to waste otherwise. I currently use them for music but in an Apple TV setup they would be redundant to have two playback methods in the same room.

I have a sony tv and I really do need the HDMI-CEC to work in order to not have another mess of automation junk to get it going. I want to just use the apple tv remote in my system.

A real plus would be the ability to have atmos work as well. dts-x has so little content as to be irrelevant so i wonder how it handles atmos tracks or how it will do so in the future.

I actually have two in-ceiling speakers already well positioned for atmos height speakers already which would be nice to actually use.

Is it at all possible to use an external atmos receiver and then drive these speakers that way?

I am thinking that my best option might be a sound bar with 3 channel capability only (with no decoding) along with a receiver but products like this one install so conveniently that they are tempting. Any speakers that require wiring via receiver is going to require some serious in-wall wiring work to make it all look good.

Blazar!
post #1347 of 5349 Old 10-31-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I was looking at the good reviews on this soundbar and was considering it seriously as a simply setup in my master bedroom. I don't NEED a 7.1.2 setup in this room but I already have in-ceiling speakers that will otherwise go to waste otherwise. I currently use them for music but in an Apple TV setup they would be redundant to have two playback methods in the same room.

I have a sony tv and I really do need the HDMI-CEC to work in order to not have another mess of automation junk to get it going. I want to just use the apple tv remote in my system.

A real plus would be the ability to have atmos work as well. dts-x has so little content as to be irrelevant so i wonder how it handles atmos tracks or how it will do so in the future.

I actually have two in-ceiling speakers already well positioned for atmos height speakers already which would be nice to actually use.

Is it at all possible to use an external atmos receiver and then drive these speakers that way?

I am thinking that my best option might be a sound bar with 3 channel capability only (with no decoding) along with a receiver but products like this one install so conveniently that they are tempting. Any speakers that require wiring via receiver is going to require some serious in-wall wiring work to make it all look good.

the soundbars will only pair with the speakers made by the same manufacturer, usually using proprietary protocols

if you really want to use your own speakers then you need to buy a receiver that will connect to them
post #1348 of 5349 Old 10-31-2018, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I’m new to the forum but have been lurking for years. I have a Naka 9.2 .. I was told by one of the lead engineers at Nakamichi that the new firmware won’t be available to December.
post #1349 of 5349 Old 10-31-2018, 03:44 PM

So I received the 9.2 system today and to be honest, it is quite below my expectation, nothing blows my mind.
I detached the rear and surround speakers, switched to CH9. Connect the subs to the speakers correctly. Subs are connected to the soundbar, blue lights are solid on both subs. Connect the TV to Nak through ARC Hdmi. Choose the right audio source in the TV setting. Everything seems to be correct. The soundbar display ARC when I connect it to the TV and BT if I connect it to my phone.
The problems:
1. I have Samsung 8500 series, connect to the Nak through ARC. I tried Mad Max from native Amazon Prime app on the TV, and the surround is muted. Absolutely no surround. I did set the audio to bitstream and Dolby digital. Still, no surround! I bought Amazon Fire TV Cube, and it's on its way. I will wait and test to see if the problem is because of the TV native app.
2. This is the real problem: Through bluetooth, I test the audio, and the high frequency is disappointing. Bass is pretty impressive, but there is no such crispy sound. The frequency range is around 20Hz to 16KHz. Good system should be up to 20KHz. Might be because of the bluetooth?
3. What is the best way to test the system with surround sound? Given my situation, and that I dont want to wait for the Fire Cube to arrive.
Overall, it is not even near to ST5000 or Sonos. I will shoot Nak support an email. But any idea if I did something wrong?
post #1350 of 5349 Old 10-31-2018, 03:59 PM
mnb

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
So I received the 9.2 system today and to be honest, it is quite below my expectation, nothing blows my mind.
I detached the rear and surround speakers, switched to CH9. Connect the subs to the speakers correctly. Subs are connected to the soundbar, blue lights are solid on both subs. Connect the TV to Nak through ARC Hdmi. Choose the right audio source in the TV setting. Everything seems to be correct. The soundbar display ARC when I connect it to the TV and BT if I connect it to my phone.
The problems:
1. I have Samsung 8500 series, connect to the Nak through ARC. I tried Mad Max from native Amazon Prime app on the TV, and the surround is muted. Absolutely no surround. I did set the audio to bitstream and Dolby digital. Still, no surround! I bought Amazon Fire TV Cube, and it's on its way. I will wait and test to see if the problem is because of the TV native app.
2. This is the real problem: Through bluetooth, I test the audio, and the high frequency is disappointing. Bass is pretty impressive, but there is no such crispy sound. The frequency range is around 20Hz to 16KHz. Good system should be up to 20KHz. Might be because of the bluetooth?
3. What is the best way to test the system with surround sound? Given my situation, and that I dont want to wait for the Fire Cube to arrive.
Overall, it is not even near to ST5000 or Sonos. I will shoot Nak support an email. But any idea if I did something wrong?
I think when you connect in via bluetooth it turns 'stereo on'. Then when you go back to hdmi in for the source, you may have to turn the stereo off. Cycle through the settings and see what you are set to. Should be something like 'dolby d' (assuming you are feeding it), movie, .... neural x, off stereo, etc.

I found a couple of times I thought my system wasn't sounding so good and toggled that stereo off and it was a huge difference.
dreaux, atfree and Micarina like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page