Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1383Likes

post #121 of 5766 Old 11-20-2017, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsLover View Post
As promised, here are my thoughts about my new Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 system. I won’t talk about some of the things that have already been covered by others in this thread. First of all, one should not look at this as a soundbar, but more of a complete surround sound system for your home theater. The value is crazy with 2 subwoofers, 4 surround speakers and a soundbar.

I have used it for slightly over a week now and played quite a few movies including Dolby Atmos ones. In a nutshell, it is probably the best hardware purchase I have made this year. The surround sound quality is unbelievable, I have never imagined a soundbar system to be able to deliver a soundstage that’s so clear, detailed and spacious. Incredible. The additional subwoofer has made a huge difference and I’m super impressed at how much bass this system can crank. Overall, it feels like my living room has become alive after installing this system. Watching movies is more thrilling and delightful for everyone in the family now because of the extra excitement and intensity this system has added. I honestly think that this is something every large 4K HDTV owner needs to consider getting.

My setup:
- LG 65” 4K OLED TV
- Samsung UBD-M9500 bluray player
- PS4 Pro
- Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTS:X sound bar

Out of the box, the first thing I noticed was the build quality of all the components of the system. They all felt and looked really premium. Setting it up was easy and seamless versus using an AVR (which I was originally considering to buy), with very similar home theater results achieved. My 24x24 living room is now rid of a lot of cables and equipment that would have been necessary had I chosen an AVR. I really like the unique, sleek design of the soundbar and it looks great sitting below my TV.

I have only been using the dipole configuration for the 4 surround speakers. I know that if they are placed individually, according to the company’s recommendation, you will get an even more complete surround sound coverage. And I’ll try that soon. Nevertheless, this system is hands down one of the best surround sound systems out there. The construction of the surround speakers looks strong and heavy, similar to my old Fluance Signature Series bipolar surrounds. So each of the 4 surround speakers has a tweeter and a full-range driver, meaning that just from a hardware point of view, I have EIGHT speaker drivers placed by my sides that are reproducing surround sound effects, not forgetting the soundbar in front as well as the 2x10” subs. Forget about all those ‘simulated’ surround sound capabilities that many other systems promise you. Nothing beats true surround and we all know that.

I started testing out the system by playing my Mad Max: Fury Road bluray. The movie combines the sounds of many engines, vehicles, gunfire, explosions and flying debris into a rich hemisphere of sound. Since it has Dolby Atmos, I was also curious to see how well the system could handle Atmos movies. And I was more than impressed. Despite not having support for Atmos, it actually performed better than my old Yamaha YSP-5600 Atmos soundbar. The Neural:X upmixing the sound to 9.2ch and the 4 surround speakers more than make up for the lack of Atmos support. During the opening scene, I was instantly awed by the system’s sound directionality when there were voices coming from many directions, followed by the roar of the vehicle that flew above shortly after. Everything sounded precise and natural. From the gentle breeze of the deserts during quieter scenes to the thunderous dust storms and battles, I always felt like I was right in the center of the action. The dialogue was full and crystal clear. With the 2x10” subs, the bass is indeed second to none. Low-frequency effects come thick and fast and are tight and controlled. During many of the battle scenes, I thought to myself that I have never experienced a home theater system that could produce such deep, resonant rumbles. For certain bassy audio tracks that might be challenging for some subwoofers to handle, this system can reproduce effortlessly.

Overall, I’m extremely pleased with the system. For $1,199, the value is crazy with 2x10" subs, 4 surround speakers, and a soundbar. It is like a $3-4k+ system without the hassles. I also have to praise the company’s customer support team, who was very responsive when I asked them a couple of questions while setting up the system. Highly recommend!
Thanks for the Review. Can't wait for mine to be delivered this afternoon. Already told my wife to get ready for a movie or 2 tonight. :-)

Use the Search Feature?
I don't even know the question until someone else posts it for me!
Keep those new threads coming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 5766 Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 219
@DaveMatthewsLover

Thanks for the awesome review! Did you have issues with the remote as others have reported here? You would think that manufacturers that put in the excellent engineering efforts in products like this could at least get the basics like a functional remote correct!

This Nakamichi 9.2 Shockwafe sounds like the perfect companion to my LG 55C6P OLED. However it’s annoying to me that Amazon is currently the only retailer offering this product. I really don’t want to mail order something this bulky and expensive; would much rather pick it up locally at Best Buy and utilize the easy return process if necessary. Regardless I plan on waiting on the professional reviews and waiting to see what if any more Atmos sound bars are announced at CES 2018 before pulling the trigger.

LG 55C6P OLED Display/Apple TV 4K/2019 Roku Ultra
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console
post #123 of 5766 Old 11-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Still anxious to hear how this system fares with DTS X.

I’m also interested in how this compares with a true Atmos system with Atmos source material. With no upward firing drivers on the Nak soundbar how good can the overhead effects be?

I’m also wondering if it’s permissible with a 9 channel surround system to place the side speakers somewhat in front of the listening area, firing back to me. Placing them directly to the side of the listening area is not doable in my room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 5766 Old 11-20-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbr View Post

I’m also interested in how this compares with a true Atmos system with Atmos source material. With no upward firing drivers on the Nak soundbar how good can the overhead effects be?

I’m also wondering if it’s permissible with a 9 channel surround system to place the side speakers somewhat in front of the listening area, firing back to me. Placing them directly to the side of the listening area is not doable in my room.
I’m also wondering how Neural:X would handle a DTS-HD 5.1 track like on the Eagles Farewell Tour Blu-ray....would Neural:X up mix the 5.1 track to a 9.2 config?

ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
post #125 of 5766 Old 11-20-2017, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

I finally got a chance to try out a DTS:X movie, although it was only Despicable Me 2, which probably doesn't have the most cutting edge sound mix. I should also mention that Nakamichi recommends surrounds be at least 2 feet above head height, and my speaker stands aren't tall enough. I'm about a foot short. Having said that, I can't really say I noticed a ton of overhead effects. The quality of the surround itself was great, but not really anything to differentiate it from regular lossless DTS-MA.

I've watched a ton of Atmos movies and they all sound absolutely fantastic in terms of surround, but overheard effects don't really jump out at you constantly. Every now and then you hear something really cool buzz you. Star Trek Beyond had some cool effects that really sounded like stuff flying over your head at times. There is a fullness to the sound that really envelopes you to the point where I don't ever feel like I'm missing out on sounds that should be above me. The overall feeling of immersion from this system has been fantastic imo.

Frankly, I feel that this soundbar, playing Atmos tracks, even without upfiring speakers, but with its 4 real surround speakers and 2 10 inch subwoofers, still sounds better than any Atmos certified soundbar on the market right now. I've listened to both the Samsung 950 and Sony st-5000 several times over the last year, and damn near pulled the trigger on each of them at some point, but held off because I felt the bass and surrounds just weren't going to satisfy me. I'm so glad I waited. This system is far superior to both imo. The bass and surround effects simply can't be touched.

As to your question about the side speaker placement, I think as long as they aren't too far forward, and you still have your rear speakers behind you, you should be fine. I have mine placed about a foot forward of the seating position and aimed slightly back towards the couch. Sounds great there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
I’m also wondering how Neural:X would handle a DTS-HD 5.1 track like on the Eagles Farewell Tour Blu-ray....would Neural:X up mix the 5.1 track to a 9.2 config?
Neural X will upconvert the DTS-HD track to 9.2 if you have it enabled. The effect is hit or miss. Some discs sound great with it, others sound better without. My favorite concert disk is Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads which is also a 5.1 DTS-HD track. I definitely prefer it with Neural X turned off. It sounds cleaner and more full. Neural X adds minor compression and reduces the volume to my ears. In my opinion, It's best used on movies to add livelier surround effects, and probably should not be used on your audiophile stuff where sound quality is of most importance. The good news is that this thing sounds freaking amazing for music.
post #126 of 5766 Old 11-20-2017, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Finally I got some time to spend on setting up my new Ultra 9.2 before the upcoming festival season. Let me share my setup experience with the new soundbar first before a full audition. I will give my take on the audio experience after spending some time with it. The upcoming holiday break will be a good time for me to spend quality time to fully test the system.

My Setup:
Samsung 65” OLED TV
XBOX One S
Samsung Bluray Player (not the best)
Roku Streaming box
Nakamichi Shockwafe ultra 9.2

As mentioned on the box, there are hdmi cable, optical cable, aux in cable, satellite cables (RCA jack) and bunch of power cables included, which is kind of expected as standard package. I think the key point to take note is there are mounting brackets for soundbar and satellite speakers included in the box as well. So this is handy if you want to mount your sound bar on the wall and mount your satellite speakers. For my case, the soundbar is sitting on my tv console.

The soundbar setup is pretty straightforward. Setting up the satellite speaker with subwoofer is also easy by simply plugging the rca cable (L-angled jack connect to the satellite speaker) to the back of subwoofer. The rca cable is about 14ft and it is extendable with RCA extension cable. The satellite is in what they called the dipole mode by default, which is 2 satellite speakers connected in a pair. There is also a physical switch at the back of the speaker for different configuration (dipole vs 9ch)

I am using the dipole mode for my setup because I don’t have space for rear speaker at the moment. I will probably change it later once my wife decide to change my furniture layout to make some space for it. (It is a tough one to convince my wife for that.) It comes with stand-mounting brackets that can easily hook up 2 satellite speakers on single stand. Any speaker stand will do the job. You just need to make sure that the screw is tighten up to be secured. (refer to attached image)

Next, I connected my xbox, bluray player and roku to the soundbar via hdmi followed by connecting the soundbar hdmi output (arc) to the TV. Thats all. The reason why im connecting all the playback sources to the soundbar is to let the soundbar do the dtsX and dolby decoding instead of the TV. For my personal preference, I chose to leave the CEC off to avoid any unnecessary adjustment between devices. If you prefer to use single remote to control the TV and soundbar together, you can utilise the HDMI CEC features that the soundbar support with your TV. You just have to get your TV to turn on the feature.

Here comes the exciting part which is powering on the system. I noticed the setup guide recommended to turn on source device at last but my bluray player will produce some noise (it is like a “pop” sound, could be due to the power surge when it is booting up) so I recommend to turn on the source devices first before turning on the soundbar. This will help to protect the speaker drivers in my case. So, turn on the playback devices first. Maybe its time for me to upgrade my bluray player.

After turning on the soundbar and subwoofer, the blue LED on the subwoofer will stay lit once it is connected. The process is kind of automated. Pretty straightforward stuff.

I have to say this, the team who designed this product is very thoughtful. They even included a demo button to do channel check. It is very helpful and I encourage to use that to do quick sound check.

I noticed for my setup the rear speakers are slightly louder because I cant place the satellite speakers about 6ft away from sitting position as recommended by Nakamichi. The good news is I can use remote control adjust the volume of rear surround channels as needed. This is an advanced feature that typically only available on AV receiver. We can also adjust the center channel and surround treble on the soundbar. Well done for the Nakamichi team to include all of these adjustment. We can further customise our soundbar to suit our environment. Very impressive indeed.

Overall, the setup is clean, compact and convenience. It is kind of hassle-free compared with my previous Onkyo 5.1 system with AV receiver. While the Ultra 9.2 system is clean and simple, they have those advance audio capability to make the system adapt into your listening environment. Not to mention, oh man I love the dual subwoofer. I can now literally feel the bass in my chest. The build quality is great, the subwoofer is wooden, which is good for cleaner bass. I guess for the price it is definitely worth it.

I will update you guys with the listening experience soon once I receive my new dtsX movie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1115.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	2318824  
DWBoston likes this.
post #127 of 5766 Old 11-20-2017, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrobe73928 View Post
Thanks for the Review. Can't wait for mine to be delivered this afternoon. Already told my wife to get ready for a movie or 2 tonight. :-)
I'm sure both of you will love it!

Quote:
@DaveMatthewsLover

Thanks for the awesome review! Did you have issues with the remote as others have reported here? You would think that manufacturers that put in the excellent engineering efforts in products like this could at least get the basics like a functional remote correct!
My experience has been perfect so far, so no I did not have any issues with the remote at all. I sit directly in front of the sound bar and my living room is quite big (24x24).

Quote:

Even though there are no upward firing drivers, I think the all the surround speakers do a really good job of reproducing the overhead surround effects. When I watched Mad Max: Fury Road, the part in the opening scene where the vehicle flew over the main character sounded super realistic.

With regards to placing side speakers in front of the listening area, I think it might affect the accuracy of your surround sound because you will hear side surround effects coming from the front. I would not advise that imo.

Quote:
Yes, it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlock75 View Post
Frankly, I feel that this soundbar, playing Atmos tracks, even without upfiring speakers, but with its 4 real surround speakers and 2 10 inch subwoofers, still sounds better than any Atmos certified soundbar on the market right now. I've listened to both the Samsung 950 and Sony st-5000 several times over the last year, and damn near pulled the trigger on each of them at some point, but held off because I felt the bass and surrounds just weren't going to satisfy me. I'm so glad I waited. This system is far superior to both imo. The bass and surround effects simply can't be touched.
I couldn't agree more with matt. This system is fantastic!!!!
post #128 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 01:49 AM

So I'm a little confused on how to or if DTS:X OR Virtual:X is engaged. Is this done by pushing a particular button or is this applied automatically? How do I tell? I dont have a DTS:X source so I know that hasn't been reproduced yet. DSP off? Movie mode? Direct or Pure mode? What do these get me?

I dropped Mad Max into my Xbox One & streamed Avenger via Plex and both of these sounded awesome with the movie button applied. I need to refine surround speaker and Sub placement but for dropping them at the end of the couch and on top of the end tables I was impressed. This setup will be top notch when it's dialed in.

I sent a few question to the help desk but is anyone having issues with the selected HDMI port not locking in on the signal and changing to a port with a signal?
Example: Switching to either my XBOX or Tivo via HDMI 2 or 3 from the Roku port 4, more often than not results in the Soundbar displaing either HDMI 2 or 3 for a second or 2 and then on its own falling back to HDMI 4 with the Roku. This is only a case while the Roku has been used in the viewing chain. From a could start both the Tivo And the Xbox One will start and hold the respective requested ports and display properly on my TV Screen.

Last edited by wrobe73928; 11-21-2017 at 07:30 AM.
post #129 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Finally I got some time to spend on setting up my new Ultra 9.2 before the upcoming festival season. Let me share my setup experience with the new soundbar first before a full audition. I will give my take on the audio experience after spending some time with it. The upcoming holiday break will be a good time for me to spend quality time to fully test the system.

My Setup:
Samsung 65” OLED TV
XBOX One S
Samsung Bluray Player (not the best)
Roku Streaming box
Nakamichi Shockwafe ultra 9.2

As mentioned on the box, there are hdmi cable, optical cable, aux in cable, satellite cables (RCA jack) and bunch of power cables included, which is kind of expected as standard package. I think the key point to take note is there are mounting brackets for soundbar and satellite speakers included in the box as well. So this is handy if you want to mount your sound bar on the wall and mount your satellite speakers. For my case, the soundbar is sitting on my tv console.

The soundbar setup is pretty straightforward. Setting up the satellite speaker with subwoofer is also easy by simply plugging the rca cable (L-angled jack connect to the satellite speaker) to the back of subwoofer. The rca cable is about 14ft and it is extendable with RCA extension cable. The satellite is in what they called the dipole mode by default, which is 2 satellite speakers connected in a pair. There is also a physical switch at the back of the speaker for different configuration (dipole vs 9ch)

I am using the dipole mode for my setup because I don’t have space for rear speaker at the moment. I will probably change it later once my wife decide to change my furniture layout to make some space for it. (It is a tough one to convince my wife for that.) It comes with stand-mounting brackets that can easily hook up 2 satellite speakers on single stand. Any speaker stand will do the job. You just need to make sure that the screw is tighten up to be secured. (refer to attached image)

Next, I connected my xbox, bluray player and roku to the soundbar via hdmi followed by connecting the soundbar hdmi output (arc) to the TV. Thats all. The reason why im connecting all the playback sources to the soundbar is to let the soundbar do the dtsX and dolby decoding instead of the TV. For my personal preference, I chose to leave the CEC off to avoid any unnecessary adjustment between devices. If you prefer to use single remote to control the TV and soundbar together, you can utilise the HDMI CEC features that the soundbar support with your TV. You just have to get your TV to turn on the feature.

Here comes the exciting part which is powering on the system. I noticed the setup guide recommended to turn on source device at last but my bluray player will produce some noise (it is like a “pop” sound, could be due to the power surge when it is booting up) so I recommend to turn on the source devices first before turning on the soundbar. This will help to protect the speaker drivers in my case. So, turn on the playback devices first. Maybe its time for me to upgrade my bluray player.

After turning on the soundbar and subwoofer, the blue LED on the subwoofer will stay lit once it is connected. The process is kind of automated. Pretty straightforward stuff.

I have to say this, the team who designed this product is very thoughtful. They even included a demo button to do channel check. It is very helpful and I encourage to use that to do quick sound check.

I noticed for my setup the rear speakers are slightly louder because I cant place the satellite speakers about 6ft away from sitting position as recommended by Nakamichi. The good news is I can use remote control adjust the volume of rear surround channels as needed. This is an advanced feature that typically only available on AV receiver. We can also adjust the center channel and surround treble on the soundbar. Well done for the Nakamichi team to include all of these adjustment. We can further customise our soundbar to suit our environment. Very impressive indeed.

Overall, the setup is clean, compact and convenience. It is kind of hassle-free compared with my previous Onkyo 5.1 system with AV receiver. While the Ultra 9.2 system is clean and simple, they have those advance audio capability to make the system adapt into your listening environment. Not to mention, oh man I love the dual subwoofer. I can now literally feel the bass in my chest. The build quality is great, the subwoofer is wooden, which is good for cleaner bass. I guess for the price it is definitely worth it.

I will update you guys with the listening experience soon once I receive my new dtsX movie.
What speaker stand is that? Does it have a large base? My floor real estate is non existent to a need a very small footprint. Ideas on a Stand?

Use the Search Feature?
post #130 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
What speaker stand is that? Does it have a large base? My floor real estate is non existent to a need a very small footprint. Ideas on a Stand?
I am using Sanus speaker stands with tear-drop base. I leveraged on the tear-drop base for the stability. The base is pretty compact for me. Hopefully it will work well for your case.

https://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Theater...A22P8LRN3RUTM8

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #131 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
So I'm a little confused on how to or if DTS:X OR Virtual:X is engaged. Is this done by pushing a particular button or is this applied automatically? How do I tell? I dont have a DTS:X source so I know that hasn't been reproduced yet. DSP off? Movie mode? Direct or Pure mode? What do these get me?

When playing different audiocontent, the soundbar will display the type of audio format, e.g. PCM, DTS, DTSX or DTS-HD or Dolby D for 5 seconds on our LED display. If you missed it, togo back the audio decoder (signal) that is detected by the sound bar, use theremote control to toggle the Info button, the second info will tell you theaudio format. (See attached user manual page. 29).

DSPoff is to turn off any of our Pre-set EQ sound settings such as Music, Movieand Entertainment. When using DSP is off, the audio setting will be flatturning off the pre-set EQ sound setting. It will not turn off Neural:X.

Whenany content is played, either in Dolby 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 or DTS 2.1, 5.1 & 7.1material, Neural:X is always on to upmix these audio to 9.2Ch audio. You do nothave to do anything to activate Neural:X.

Moviebutton is of one of our best Pre-set EQ sound setting for Movie. It does notchange the Neural:X functionality also.

Quote:
I sent a few question to the help desk but is anyone having issues with the selected HDMI port not locking in on the signal and changing to a port with a signal?
Example: Switching to either my XBOX or Tivo via HDMI 2 or 3 from the Roku port 4, more often than not results in the Soundbar displaing either HDMI 2 or 3 for a second or 2 and then on its own falling back to HDMI 4 with the Roku. This is only a case while the Roku has been used in the viewing chain. From a could start both the Tivo And the Xbox One will start and hold the respective requested ports and display properly on my TV Screen.

This is happening because theHDMI-CEC device priority is taking place. Roku player's HDMI-CEC settingis ON and thus it is telling the soundbar to switch to HDMI 4.When any button on Roku’s remote control is being press or touch, it will wakeup the Roku player, and the Roku player will send a HDMI-CEC signal to thesoundbar and tell it to automatically switch to HDMI 4.

YourHDMI-CEC setting configuration:

HDMI2 to Xbox One S (maybe HDMI-CEC setting is OFF)
HDMI 3 to Tivo (maybe HDMI-CEC setting is OFF)
HDMI 4 to Roku Ultra (HDMI-CEC setting is definitely ON)

Soin the case of Xbox and Tivo the HDMI-CEC setting is set to OFF andthus it did not send any HDMI-CEC signal to the sound bar to tell it to switchto its respective HDMI input.

Ifyou require auto switching of all device, please turn onHDMI-CEC setting as ON for Tivo and Xbox one S.

Ifyou donot require auto switching ofall device, please turn on HDMI-CEC setting as OFF forRuko player.

Confirmed that my Roku was indeed setup this way and disabled the CEC and now all components are being switched on and off with their respective assigned HDMI inputs holding.

Sent this to Nakamichi this morning and they responded very quickly. Kudos to them!

Posting this info for future owners!
Still waiting for a response about the correct FW version.

Use the Search Feature?
post #132 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Got my 9.2 the other day and it is now in my living room. I have moved my 1-year-old 7.1 into my bedroom. It was really easy to set up the 9.2. It took longer than the 7.1 because of the additional subwoofer and 4 rear speakers, but overall it was still very easy.

The 9.2 is a big step-up from my 7.1 which I really liked. I could instantly hear the difference in surround sound. It’s even more complete than the 7.1. Surround sound is still very wide but you can hear more details all around you. Regarding bass, it’s really powerful. The 2 subs fill my room with no problems. I can feel the impact of the bass. Maybe it is too powerful at times? But I like it. My bass volume is at 3 by the way.

Speaking of volume, the system is unique. Like the 7.1, you can control the individual volume levels of the channels to customize your surround sound to your preference. Using the remote, you can control the volumes of the surround left/right, surround back left/back right, center speakers, bass and trebles. Also, there are preconfigured volume levels for the channels for different room sizes to make it easy for people to find the right surround balance. I really like this. I am using the Large room size setting.

My only concern will be the remote. It is better than the one in the 7.1, but it can be better. There were times where I had to take a step closer to the bar for it to register.

If nobody told me this system doesnt handle Atmos, I wouldn’t have realized it. Atmos soundtracks sound really good or even better on this system thanks to the 4 surround speakers.

I’m also happy with the other upgrades in this system: HDCP2.2, 4K HDR, aptx, 1 more HDMI input.
post #133 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question for the 9.2 owners:

Is there a built in means of generating pink noise for each channel so that we can set individual speaker audio levels using a sound meter?

ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
post #134 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Question for the 9.2 owners:

Is there a built in means of generating pink noise for each channel so that we can set individual speaker audio levels using a sound meter?

Not there I am aware of. It does have test tone which is a voice for each channel.
post #135 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
Not there I am aware of. It does have test tone which is a voice for each channel.
Thanks for the reply....I was planning on using an Android app called Decibel Meter (appropriately enough ) to set the levels so having a voice tone for each channel should be close enough.

ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
post #136 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 2
What do you guys think about the 9.2 for a small apartment living room? Too much? I just got a K950 and love it, but this is at the same price point and seems way better. I'm a little worried about everyone saying the bass is too much and can't be lowered, as I don't want to piss off my neighbors.
post #137 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsten View Post
What do you guys think about the 9.2 for a small apartment living room? Too much? I just got a K950 and love it, but this is at the same price point and seems way better. I'm a little worried about everyone saying the bass is too much and can't be lowered, as I don't want to piss off my neighbors.

Maybe you can share with us about your room size? My space here isn’t very big either and so far it works pretty well. The bass level is adjustable and there is another trick to further reduce bass by engaging night mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #138 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Maybe you can share with us about your room size? My space here isn’t very big either and so far it works pretty well. The bass level is adjustable and there is another trick to further reduce bass by engaging night mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just moved in, and don't have a tape measure or living room measurements. I just took some pictures in case this can help give a sense of scale.

post #139 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
For a small apartment, the 9.2 may be a little too much but this think absolutely rocks. I have heard the K950, even the 7.2 should crush it with the dual 8" subs and true surround. On the remote, there's also a one button preset Small, Medium, Large size room configurations.
post #140 of 5766 Old 11-21-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I just moved in, and don't have a tape measure or living room measurements. I just took some pictures in case this can help give a sense of scale.

According to the 9.2 manual, small room config is 14x14ft, medium 18x18 and large is 22x22+

Hope it helps.
post #141 of 5766 Old 11-22-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Based on your 2nd image, the length of your space seems to be able to fit at least 2 3-seater sofas without a problem (typical length of 3 seater sofa is 7ft). While the width of your space seems like 1+ 2/3 of sofa which estimated around 10ft. With this estimation, your room should be classified as small room config. @epicoled thanks for your info.

My room size is just slight bigger than yours (16x14ft) which ultra 9.2 has no issue with it. I can adjust the bass and surround level to my liking with the remote control. If you are concerned about ultra 9.2 is too powerful for you, I recommend you can consider getting elite 7.2 instead.

I heard about K950 in a demo point somewhere. The surround does not convince me to spend my money on it. So far im very impressed with overall performance of my ultra 9.2 The bass and surround performance is way beyond my expectation.

post #142 of 5766 Old 11-23-2017, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
For you guys that had the 7.1, how does the 9.2 compare?
I have the 7.1 and even though I am happy with it, at times I feel it could be better at the mid level. The bass is very good, but mid seems to be lacking a bit.

thanks

PL
post #143 of 5766 Old 11-23-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Looks like Amazon dropped the price today on the 9.2 and 7.2. I wonder if this is the best deal we will see, or if they will go any lower by Cyber Monday?
post #144 of 5766 Old 11-23-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosgatt View Post
For you guys that had the 7.1, how does the 9.2 compare?
I have the 7.1 and even though I am happy with it, at times I feel it could be better at the mid level. The bass is very good, but mid seems to be lacking a bit.

thanks

PL
Until the turkey eaters are done, I'll put in my two cents.

I don't own one yet, but I've been interested and in contact with Nakamichi from early on in this forum, and can tell you that the 7.1
and the newer soundbars are quite different. The drivers are thoroughly redesigned, as are the core electronics, and of course the
two subs.

By the way, if you look at the Amazon reviews, read carefully. Amazon has the tendency to lump all reviews for different models from
the same manufacturer, which isconfusing at best,
Micarina likes this.
post #145 of 5766 Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Do the new models truly decode DTS-HD and TrueHD? I own the older Pro 7.1 model and it does not. It's smart enough to pull the lossy DTS or DD cores out of those streams but it doesn't actually play the lossless audio. Nakamichi was pretty cagey about this fact in their literature on the 7.1 but I did eventually confirm it with one of their techs.

Nonetheless, I'm quite happy with the Pro 7.1 for my situation. It's a fine piece of gear.
post #146 of 5766 Old 11-23-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
Do the new models truly decode DTS-HD and TrueHD? I own the older Pro 7.1 model and it does not. It's smart enough to pull the lossy DTS or DD cores out of those streams but it doesn't actually play the lossless audio. Nakamichi was pretty cagey about this fact in their literature on the 7.1 but I did eventually confirm it with one of their techs.

Nonetheless, I'm quite happy with the Pro 7.1 for my situation. It's a fine piece of gear.
I have a 7.1 too.
My new 9.2 does decode DTS-HD, but not true HD. My understanding is that it takes it down to Dolby Digital and DTS Neural X upmixes it to 9.2.
Micarina likes this.
post #147 of 5766 Old 11-23-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnholt01 View Post
Looks like Amazon dropped the price today on the 9.2 and 7.2. I wonder if this is the best deal we will see, or if they will go any lower by Cyber Monday?
I received the newsletter from nakamichi team saying the deals are for 5 days until cyber Monday. I guess the price you are seeing now should be the discounted price.

post #148 of 5766 Old 11-24-2017, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
My new 9.2 does decode DTS-HD, but not true HD.
Thanks. Because I've been skeptical of Nakamichi's statements on the topic in the past, I sent them an email earlier today to clarify. I'm not sure whether I'm impressed or disturbed that they replied at 9:20pm on Thanksgiving evening, but they confirmed that the newer DTS-X capable bars do indeed decode full lossless DTS-HD MA audio. That makes for a compelling midrange audio solution IMO. Five discrete speakers plus 2 subs with lossless audio support? Plus varying levels of DTS-X/Atmos support depending on the model? Seems pretty sweet. Surely not the same as a dedicated AV receiver setup, but you can't touch a DTS-HD/TrueHD/Atmos receiver and speaker set for $700-$1000. And I have to think that having five physical speakers is an advantage over simulated surround soundbars, especially for those with irregular/open rooms that make acoustic speaker tricks hard to pull off. I really like the niche that Nakamichi is carving out here.
post #149 of 5766 Old 11-24-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
Thanks. Because I've been skeptical of Nakamichi's statements on the topic in the past, I sent them an email earlier today to clarify. I'm not sure whether I'm impressed or disturbed that they replied at 9:20pm on Thanksgiving evening, but they confirmed that the newer DTS-X capable bars do indeed decode full lossless DTS-HD MA audio. That makes for a compelling midrange audio solution IMO. Five discrete speakers plus 2 subs with lossless audio support? Plus varying levels of DTS-X/Atmos support depending on the model? Seems pretty sweet. Surely not the same as a dedicated AV receiver setup, but you can't touch a DTS-HD/TrueHD/Atmos receiver and speaker set for $700-$1000. And I have to think that having five physical speakers is an advantage over simulated surround soundbars, especially for those with irregular/open rooms that make acoustic speaker tricks hard to pull off. I really like the niche that Nakamichi is carving out here.

I don't think it will do Dolby TrueHD, only DTS-HD and DTS:X. DTS Neural:X will upmix the rest of the other Dolby formats.
post #150 of 5766 Old 11-24-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I got the ultra 9.2 just a couple of days ago and am still testing but I figure people will be interested in another data point for this new product, so here goes my first post. I am also including some suggestions for Nakamichi, as it looks like their reps do frequent this forum. I have already had one phenomenal experience with their customer service.

About Me - Technically savvy and very discerning about the tech stuff I buy. Drives my wife nuts even while she appreciates the results. Specifically for audio, I do notice subtle quality differences and will pay up for quality but I hesitate to classify myself as a “total and complete audiophile” because I will let other pragmatic considerations direct my decision.

My comparison criteria - Looking for a wireless true surround solution for our family room, preferably one not reliant on reflections. Listened to a number of soundbar and discrete AVR solutions at local stores to get a sense of what is possible, ideally under 2K.

Comparing audio systems in stores is a crapshoot, but my conclusion was that none of them met all of the criteria. Sonos - decent sound but nothing special and the playbar is plain outdated for 2017. The Bose soundtouch 300 package (soundbar + sub + rears) sounded better to my ears than the Sonos, but there are well known ARC compatibility issues between it and Samsung TVs. The Sony is impressive but no rears. The thing is heavy, so installing it on a wall is another challenge. Went to two different Best Buys to try the Samsung HW950 Atmos, but it wasn’t working. If I was looking for an audio only solution, my money would be on the BlueSound. Their NHD heritage shows in the warmth and depth of sound. None of the others have a rear solution or the base is too wimpy. On the discrete side, I would have paid up for the Klipsch Reference HD wireless system if the center channel was in a slimmer sound bar form factor. The current solution does not work for a TV mounted over a fireplace.

My setup for now is very simple - 2016 Samsung KS8000 series 65" 4K/HDR TV connected via HDMI ARC to the Nakamichi 9.2 and direct Ethernet to the router. Comcast x1 still connected to the TV which is supposed to do 5.1 pass-thru. Will add a Blueray player soon.

My current testing is mostly with the native Amazon, Netflix and Spotify apps on the TV which will do DD 5.1 but none of the higher quality standards. The TV is set to output DD. It also has an option called DTS Neo 2:5, which I tried but noticed a loss of quality. The LED display on the Nakamichi confirms source format is DD or DTS. I also tried a number of Dolby and DTS test files off the net. These were loaded on a network drive accessible to the TV and played using the native media browser app. It’s not able to play the Atmos content, but was able to play DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA files. I am not sure if its downsampling them down to DD 5.1 or doing a pass-thru (very likely the former). Hope to test higher quality media soon.

Room Configuration - This system is set up in my family room, with the 9.2 currently sitting raised up on a box in front of the TV. The room is not a proper rectangle, but there are walls on the left and right for reflections and the ceiling is a flat 10’. The size is around 16’ x 22’, so somewhere between the medium and large settings on the 9.2. The family room is slightly sunken and the far end opposite the TV connects to the kitchen which is at a higher level, so a large portion of the back wall is open. Flooring is wood with a concrete subfloor. I have the rears in a dipole config for now about six feet behind a sofa which is about 12’ from the TV.

Packaging - I was pleasantly surprised by the packaging. Clear instructions on how to open the box and everything nicely laid out. Includes cables and installation hardware.

Build Quality - Very nice, looks and feels premium. The LED display on the front of the bar is very helpful in comparison to other sound bars which often have minimal feedback. The display can be dimmed, which is a nice touch. However, reading the display through the metal grille can be hard at times. My suggestion to Nakamichi would be to move it outside the grille and go to a higher res dot matrix display in a future device.

Remote - Feature rich remote and its nicely backlit. I had no issues with distance or lag, works from over 14’. The remote is somewhat directional, have to figure out the correct vertical angle (pitch in aeronautical terms) for it to work. One suggestion to Nakamichi, the buttons could be larger with a larger font.

HDMI ARC worked seamlessly between the Samsung TV and 9.2 for power on/off and volume. I didn’t have to do anything special to get it working. After all the gripes I had heard about the Bose, using ARC was a non event.

For Movies & TV -

The short conclusion is that the system sounds Exceptional. Even my wife commented - it feels like we are in a real theater! The MOVIE EQ preset is a very good starting point. My preference was to disable Pure Direct (which keeps neural:X enabled but disables other processing). Center channel dialogue is very clear. Wide front sound stage with very good separation. The surrounds add an immersion that should handily beat all of the simulated products out there. The final battle scenes in Star Trek: Beyond, the fight scenes in Avengers or Civil War are alive. Even non-action films with a mellow background track like Amazon’s The only living boy in NY city feel immersive even at low volumes. (Yeah, Kate is cute, but that movie is far from 5 stars) The dual subs make their presence felt in many ways - from ambient tracks to loud crash bang sounds. The base setting stayed at 3 or lower.

My room layout is not amenable for a true 9.2 configuration but can’t wait to try it out, especially with higher quality tracks.

For Music Playback -

The system is good but less capable for music and this is partly due to its speaker configuration. I listen to a lot of acoustic tracks and the sound stage feels off if you are in the middle of the room. All of the full range speakers on the soundbar are 2.5” while the surrounds are 3” and closer to the 10” subs. So the the higher frequencies tend to be apparent in the front of the room with the lows in the rear. This 7.2 or 9.2 configuration works fine for movies, but not what you expect for music. The MUSIC EQ setting helps, but not completely. The bar by itself is not designed to handle a wider range as would be the case for a bar that relies on simulated surround and has a wider range of drivers up front (for instance the Bose, Sony, DefTec or BlueSound), so turning down the surrounds or going to stereo is inadequate. On the other hand, the sound feels much more balanced if I am in the kitchen listening in from the outside as it takes away some of this directionality. So capable system, but layout is better suited for movies.

If anyone from Nakamichi is reading this, I have a suggestion that could possibly be implemented with a firmware upgrade. There will be many people who can’t take advantage of a 9.2 layout and will either go for the 7.2 system or use the 9.2 in a dipole config. An alternative 7.2 layout for the 9.2 system would be to put one sub and its surrounds up front and keep one at the back of the room. The front surrounds can be repurposed as front left and right channels and the rear as surround left+rear and right+rear. The surround performance for movies should be similar to that of the 7.2 system (or better because of the 10” subs), but with a much more capable front sound stage. The firmware will need to remap audio channels in a different way to the individual speakers, and this is something that could be supported as a different EQ mode. If you can do this, it will give music fans a crazy good reason to consider the 9.2.

It’s the holiday season, so one can hope right?

So in summary, I am super happy with this system even with the average sound sources (DD 5.1) I have been able to test with. Can’t wait to try out higher quality tracks.

If anyone is looking for an easy to install and very capable home theater solution, the Nakamichi 9.2 deserves serious serious consideration. It’s a kick ass surround system at a very good price point. To find anything better as of today (Nov 2017), you will likely have to upgrade to a discrete AVR system in a much higher price range. And deal with the cabling and setup.

Oh, and about the customer service.. I noticed on Thanksgiving morning that the price had dropped. Sent a request through Amazon if a price adjustment was possible. I got a response in under 15 minutes and the adjustment showed up via Amazon in an hour..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page