Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1327Likes

post #181 of 5300 Old 11-27-2017, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsten View Post
What do you guys think about the 9.2 for a small apartment living room? Too much? I just got a K950 and love it, but this is at the same price point and seems way better. I'm a little worried about everyone saying the bass is too much and can't be lowered, as I don't want to piss off my neighbors.
How popular do you want to be with your neighbors, and by that I mean everyone on the block?

You probably don't want to hear this, but the 9.2 may be too much system for that space. There are tricks to reducing the bass (don't keep the subs on the floor), but then it begs the question, is this a pragmatic decision or an emotional one?

Good luck! I didn't get a chance to hear the Samsung so can't give you a comparison.

/NV
Micarina likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5300 Old 11-27-2017, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Why can't the bass be lowered on the 9.2? My old 7.1 Pro seems to have options for that.

But still, I'd also suspect the 9.2 is too much for a small room. Do you really have enough space to set up all those speakers optimally?
post #183 of 5300 Old 11-27-2017, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
Why can't the bass be lowered on the 9.2? My old 7.1 Pro seems to have options for that.

But still, I'd also suspect the 9.2 is too much for a small room. Do you really have enough space to set up all those speakers optimally?
You have the option to adjust the bass level via remote control. it is the same as your old 7.1 pro I suppose.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 5300 Old 11-28-2017, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

The bass can be adjusted via the remote. It is super powerful imo and my bass settings are 2. Good thing is that the system can be firmware upgraded and perhaps if there's more feedback, the company might lower the bass settings to cater more to smaller rooms.

Lovin' my system!
post #185 of 5300 Old 11-28-2017, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsten View Post
What do you guys think about the 9.2 for a small apartment living room? Too much? I just got a K950 and love it, but this is at the same price point and seems way better. I'm a little worried about everyone saying the bass is too much and can't be lowered, as I don't want to piss off my neighbors.
I have listened to the K950 in two local stores. The 9.2 will absolutely destroy it. After all virtual sex cannot beat real sex, right lol. The K950 is simulated and this is true discrete 9 channel surround sound. Peace!
post #186 of 5300 Old 11-28-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:

My friend who owns two SVS Ultra 16s recommend that I purchase these, will let you know how they perform. Supposed to keep the bass in the room instead of going thru walls and windows, making the bass much more intense and tight.
post #187 of 5300 Old 11-29-2017, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsLover View Post
The 9.2 sound bar caught my eye when it was announced during CES 2017, together with the Sony htst5000.

Currently for pre-order, with another 7.2 model available.
Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX: www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-ultra-preorder
Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2 DTSX: www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-elite-preorder

I have pre-ordered the 9.2 and it is expected to be delivered in October. Will be using it with my new 65” LG 4K OLED in my 24x24 living room.

I will post opinions on it when I receive it
Well, finally had time to watch/listen to DTS:X on my replaced Elite 7.2. It was Disk 1 of the new Harry Potter 8 film UHD collection. I thought the sound was amazing! Disk 1 is HP & the Sorcerers Stone, theatrical version. Sound effects came from every direction. Speech was very clear despite the loudness of the effects. I loved the way the orchestrations made you feel like you were sitting in the center of a symphony orchestra. It is definitely a step beyond the very nice but older systems such as Master Audio and Dolby True Audio. It’s all I will need, as I’ll never put up the speaker array for a system like Atmos, as advanced as it may sound. I continue to believe this was a great technical system to buy for a great price. It’s really nice to be beyond 5.1, even if these new systems make 5.1 sound better than ever. On the other hand, if Hedwig dropped a 9.2 on my doorstep....
epicoled and Micarina like this.
post #188 of 5300 Old 11-29-2017, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My 9.2 arrived. I took several pictures comparing the speaker/bar/sub against my old 7.1 and will post here later.

The soundbar is virtually identical. I'd like to see the detailed specifications to understand if they really replaced the interior components.
The sub is WAY bigger, it's to the point of being funny...and the fact that there are two! Same with the speakers, the size difference and weight is very noticeable.

Now to my impressions:

The low range is really powerful on this setup, the bass had to be set at 02 in order to be manageable. I did my best setting up each channel and unfortunately there is a lack in details in the front channels similar to the old 7.1.
I have a conventional 5.1 setup in my family room, and my frustration with the old 7.1 was the fact that watching the same movie, in my family room setup I could notice some details that were not possible to notice with the soundbar in my bedroom. The 9.2 definitely improved in this area, but depending on what you are watching, the 5.1 setup with receiver and speakers is still ahead.

Make sure you setup your source device accordingly. I had my Nvidia Shield with 5.1 PCM and it was causing issues with surround and back channels. In the Nakachimi website they advise to turn it off, it fixed the problem.

I will continue to do more tests and see if there's anything I can do to improve even more.
post #189 of 5300 Old 11-30-2017, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Does anyone have any insight into the differences in suggested speaker placement between the old 7.1 Pro and the newer DTS:X bars? I'm not well-versed in speaker design. But if you look at Nakamichi's FAQ page, the newer surrounds are recommended to be placed significantly behind the viewing position, whereas the old 7.1 Pro surrounds are placed laterally. (Though I confess that I don't exactly understand what the "90-110 degree" angle specification is using as a reference line - is it the main line between the central viewing position and the screen?) While I love all that I'm hearing about the new bars, there's no way to place speakers behind the viewing position in our setup. I'm wondering how much that matters.

Also, I sent an email to Nakamichi inquiring about potential TrueHD and Atmos support. I received an impressively thoughtful and detailed reply from CEO Rayman Cheng within a day or two. Roughly, the answer is No and No in the short term, though for understandable reasons. Proper Atmos support, as others have noted here, requires upfiring speakers and thus a fundamental redesign of the soundbar. Nakamichi is considering that for the future, though it couldn't happen with this batch of bars. TrueHD support would be further off, and would be focused on decoding only the base DD layer of the TrueHD. The company is focused on existing content, and existing content (=blurays) is overwhelmingly DTS-HD. While the enthusiast in me would love to see the Nakamichi bars decode lossless TrueHD from UHD's, I can't argue with his business case and I appreciate his honesty. Mr. Cheng was well aware of the possibility of working around this limitation via decoding to LPCM in the streamer or spinner and recommended this route to enthusiasts who understood its implications (e.g. that they should change their UHD settings back to bitstreaming when playing native DTS:X discs so as not to lose object metadata).

Gotta say... I'm really impressed with Nakamichi. I get that "CEO of Nakamichi" is a whole different world than, say, "CEO of Samsung". But still... this is leadership that gives a damn. We need more business leadership like this.
post #190 of 5300 Old 11-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosgatt View Post
My 9.2 arrived. I took several pictures comparing the speaker/bar/sub against my old 7.1 and will post here later.

The soundbar is virtually identical. I'd like to see the detailed specifications to understand if they really replaced the interior components.
The sub is WAY bigger, it's to the point of being funny...and the fact that there are two! Same with the speakers, the size difference and weight is very noticeable.

Now to my impressions:

The low range is really powerful on this setup, the bass had to be set at 02 in order to be manageable. I did my best setting up each channel and unfortunately there is a lack in details in the front channels similar to the old 7.1.
I have a conventional 5.1 setup in my family room, and my frustration with the old 7.1 was the fact that watching the same movie, in my family room setup I could notice some details that were not possible to notice with the soundbar in my bedroom. The 9.2 definitely improved in this area, but depending on what you are watching, the 5.1 setup with receiver and speakers is still ahead.

Make sure you setup your source device accordingly. I had my Nvidia Shield with 5.1 PCM and it was causing issues with surround and back channels. In the Nakachimi website they advise to turn it off, it fixed the problem.

I will continue to do more tests and see if there's anything I can do to improve even more.

Couldn't agree with you more on the size of the subwoofers. You should see the expressions on my wife's face when she saw those, lmao, but they seriously crank!!! I cannot wait to get my subwoofer isolation pads so I can keep the bass in the room. I pushed the subs forward to the middle of the room slightly in front of the L/R rear surrounds closer to the TV (not the back ones) and it made a meaningful difference in the sound quality for the front channels.
post #191 of 5300 Old 11-30-2017, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I know these soundbars don't support Dolby TrueHD at the moment, but does anyone know if they support Dolby Digital Plus (EAC-3)? I don't get any sound when attempting to play a Dolby Digital Plus track and must change to PCM. This is through Kodi on an Nvidia Shield TV.
post #192 of 5300 Old 12-03-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got my 9.2 last week. Amazing! Has anyone found satellite stands that will actually work for the dipole speakers? I purchased a set of Vivo stands that customer support recommended. But they were for Sonos and have a mounting bracket with tabs that have nowhere to go in the speakers. Also, a generic Atlantic set of stands that once you read the directions required you to drill into to your speakers and use wood screws to attach to mounting base. Any suggestions?
post #193 of 5300 Old 12-03-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemarvelmovies View Post
I got my 9.2 last week. Amazing! Has anyone found satellite stands that will actually work for the dipole speakers? I purchased a set of Vivo stands that customer support recommended. But they were for Sonos and have a mounting bracket with tabs that have nowhere to go in the speakers. Also, a generic Atlantic set of stands that once you read the directions required you to drill into to your speakers and use wood screws to attach to mounting base. Any suggestions?
I am using the Sanus satellite speaker stands at the moment and they work just fine for me. The only downside is the stand doesn't come with any cable management. Hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/SANUS-Adjusta...speaker+stands

Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #194 of 5300 Old 12-04-2017, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnholt01 View Post
I know these soundbars don't support Dolby TrueHD at the moment, but does anyone know if they support Dolby Digital Plus (EAC-3)? I don't get any sound when attempting to play a Dolby Digital Plus track and must change to PCM. This is through Kodi on an Nvidia Shield TV.
I do have some dolby digital plus tracks and the bar only plays dolby digital 5.1 tracks. I guess the bar did a good job to at least have full suite of DTSX and dolby digital 5.1 supported. Hardly come by with this extend of codec support because for sound bar typically the company will adopt either dts or dolby and the rest is just stereo 2.0 for basic playback capability.

The alternatives like what you had done is to decode the dolby digital plus or trueHD on the device and stream m-ch pcm to the sound bar. take note when you do that, you need to make sure the sound bar is receiving m-ch PCM (show on bar display).
post #195 of 5300 Old 12-05-2017, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Have a question and hoping somebody may be able to answer it. My co-worker just placed an order through Amazon for the 7.2 Elite model, unfortunately they will not ship it directly to him, but his wife is back stateside at the moment and having it sent to his sister's house. Not that that information is pertinent, the question(s), how large is the packaging, dimensions of the box(es) would be greatly appreciated as well as the total weight of the box(es) if by chance comes in multiple boxes?

Thanks.

HT: (7.4.4) - Yamaha CX-A5200 - Yamaha MX-A5200 - (6) Klipsch RP-250F (front, side, rear) - Klipsch RP-504C (center) - (4) SVS Prime Elevation (front/rear Atmos) - (4) Klipsch R110SW (front/rear left/right subs) - LG OLED 77C8P - Oppo UDP-203
Living: LG OLED 55C7P - Oppo UDP-203 - Yamaha YSP-5600 - Yamaha SW300B - Sony PS4Pro
Gameroom: LG OLED 55B6P - Sony PS4Pro - Sony HT-ST7
post #196 of 5300 Old 12-06-2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555SD View Post
Have a question and hoping somebody may be able to answer it. My co-worker just placed an order through Amazon for the 7.2 Elite model, unfortunately they will not ship it directly to him, but his wife is back stateside at the moment and having it sent to his sister's house. Not that that information is pertinent, the question(s), how large is the packaging, dimensions of the box(es) would be greatly appreciated as well as the total weight of the box(es) if by chance comes in multiple boxes?

Thanks.
Thats a very good question. I believe it will be the best to email nakamichi team to confirm for that piece of info. Well, it comes in one huge box that is better to carry by 2 persons for not hurting your back. the box is about 4ft long and I have no idea whats the overall weight of the product. According to user manual it is like 60lbs with everything added up together.
555SD likes this.

Last edited by Micarina; 12-06-2017 at 03:14 AM.
post #197 of 5300 Old 12-06-2017, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Thats a very good question. I believe it will be the best to email nakamichi team to confirm for that piece of info. Well, it comes in one huge box that is better to carry by 2 persons for not hurting your back. the box is about 4ft long and I have no idea whats the overall weight of the product. According to user manual it is like 60lbs with everything added up together.
Thank you for your reply. I actually did in fact email Nakamichi after posting on here for him and they replied back to him last night stating the dimensions of the box are 48"x17"x14" with a weight of 58lbs. Weight wise it is fine to ship by USPS Priority, but the overall dimensions with how USPS measures comes up to 110" and 108" is the max for priority. So he can have his wife ship it Parcel Post, which can take up to 2 months to arrive, slow boat. He just wants the thing and may just have his wife ship FedEx.

HT: (7.4.4) - Yamaha CX-A5200 - Yamaha MX-A5200 - (6) Klipsch RP-250F (front, side, rear) - Klipsch RP-504C (center) - (4) SVS Prime Elevation (front/rear Atmos) - (4) Klipsch R110SW (front/rear left/right subs) - LG OLED 77C8P - Oppo UDP-203
Living: LG OLED 55C7P - Oppo UDP-203 - Yamaha YSP-5600 - Yamaha SW300B - Sony PS4Pro
Gameroom: LG OLED 55B6P - Sony PS4Pro - Sony HT-ST7
post #198 of 5300 Old 12-07-2017, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555SD View Post

Thanks.
My 9.2 came in one big box with all the different components separated by the inner styrofoam. No multiple boxes. So I highly doubt that the 7.2 Elite model will come in multiple boxes. Hope you're able to sort this out.
post #199 of 5300 Old 12-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I’ve just setup the 7.2 Elite on a new LG OLED per the default recommendations. The LG came with a pretty sophisticated smart remote that is rendered somewhat less useful with all sources going through the soundbar. Since both devices are capable of ARC can I run all of my sources through the LG? This is my 1st experience with arc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JVC RS640; RUIPRO 10m HDMI cable; Marantz AV7704; Lumagen Pro 4240; Oppo BDP-203;Triad Silver LCR, Onwall Bronze Surround, Inwall Bronze Omni, KEF Inceiling Ci 160QR x 4; Dual RSS460HO-4 18" SWs
post #200 of 5300 Old 12-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskreis View Post
I’ve just setup the 7.2 Elite on a new LG OLED per the default recommendations. The LG came with a pretty sophisticated smart remote that is rendered somewhat less useful with all sources going through the soundbar. Since both devices are capable of ARC can I run all of my sources through the LG? This is my 1st experience with arc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes you can do that to utilize the ARC feature. Just plug all sources HDMI to your tv and the hdmi arc port connect to soundbar. Don’t forget to check out the hdmi audio settings to set it as bitstream to pass thru all the Dolby Audio and dts codec to be decoded on soundbar for better performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mskreis likes this.

post #201 of 5300 Old 12-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm having trouble updating the firmware on the 7.2 Elite. My unit has FW 1 per the info tab and 2.0 is available. I've followed the directions but continue to get a "NO FW" message when trying to read the USB drive. The USB drive is formatted FAT32 as directed. The firmware file is present on the drive and appears intact, roughly 4 MB in size. Any suggestions?

Mark

JVC RS640; RUIPRO 10m HDMI cable; Marantz AV7704; Lumagen Pro 4240; Oppo BDP-203;Triad Silver LCR, Onwall Bronze Surround, Inwall Bronze Omni, KEF Inceiling Ci 160QR x 4; Dual RSS460HO-4 18" SWs

Last edited by mskreis; 12-08-2017 at 06:21 PM.
post #202 of 5300 Old 12-09-2017, 06:29 PM

Hi,

If you don’t mind, I need some advice with my tv room configuration and how I should properly set up the system. I’m facing a dilemma as I want to get the 9.2 but not sure if my room layout permits it or if I should just stick with 7.2 DTS:X. Please view the pic below. I’m not sure where to place the side speakers because the sofa is against the wall on the left side.

I appreciate the time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	2328336  
post #203 of 5300 Old 12-09-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owais Khan View Post
Hi,

If you don’t mind, I need some advice with my tv room configuration and how I should properly set up the system. I’m facing a dilemma as I want to get the 9.2 but not sure if my room layout permits it or if I should just stick with 7.2 DTS:X. Please view the pic below. I’m not sure where to place the side speakers because the sofa is against the wall on the left side.

I appreciate the time!
The subs on the 9.2 system are quite large (larger than the 7.2) so if you want bigger subs that's one reason to go besides using the dipole as a "worst case" situation.

Just so you're aware of the size on the 9.2 subs, they are 20" high, ~13.5" deep and 12" wide.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #204 of 5300 Old 12-10-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owais Khan View Post
Hi,

I appreciate the time!

I don't think a 9.2 will work, you have no place for the surround speakers and the subs are HUGE!
post #205 of 5300 Old 12-10-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
The subs on the 9.2 system are quite large (larger than the 7.2) so if you want bigger subs that's one reason to go besides using the dipole as a "worst case" situation.

Just so you're aware of the size on the 9.2 subs, they are 20" high, ~13.5" deep and 12" wide.

Grr, going to stick with the 7.2! Thank you
post #206 of 5300 Old 12-10-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
I don't think a 9.2 will work, you have no place for the surround speakers and the subs are HUGE!
Yeah, I emailed nakamichi as well and they said the room layout will create imbalanced audio with the 9.2 and that the 7.2 was best for my specific case
post #207 of 5300 Old 12-13-2017, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Just came across this. They're holding a high end soundbar blind comparison event open to public during CES 2018. Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 versus Creative sonic carrier, Sony HT-ST5000, Samsung hw-k950, etc. Pretty interesting I must say, the people going there should be in for a treat. Wonder who would you guys root for?

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ces-201...ts-39393600319
tppytel and Tony R. Green like this.
post #208 of 5300 Old 12-14-2017, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just got the Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 a couple of days ago. Have to say I'm thoroughly pleased. It replaced an 10+ year old Yamaha receiver with Bose Acoustimass speakers. I will warn you as CoreyM said, the subs are pretty large. My wife first wanted to return it to Best Buy, but I think I have her on board now. We have a traditional living room set up with couch against the wall (room is approx. 25'x15'). We set the subs behind the end tables and she's ok with it. I wanted to get speaker stands to separate the rear speakers, but she's not excited about that idea, so gonna let it ride for now. She thinks the system is more for a home theater set up as opposed to a living room, but works for me .

I'm really impressed with the sound watching movies. The dual subs really give you nice balance if you're sitting between them. The Force Awakens Blu-ray was thumping the room while the soundbar produces very clear spoken words. I also turned on some old school rap to see how music sounds, and it was good. No one was home so I turned it to max, and it was really clean. The balance was not perfect, but tweaking the settings with the remote helped. And honestly, I wish it was a little louder. As a few others mentioned, the remote seems to lag slightly on volume. I connected to my LG TV's ARC HDMI port, and so now I can control the volume with the TV or DirecTV remotes, and the volume lag is not as bad. I watched a little of Mumford and Sons in concert on DirecTV last night, and thought it sounded better with the surround sound off, which is an option on the remote. Overall, I'm giving it an 8.5 out of 10.
post #209 of 5300 Old 12-14-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I have my speakers sitting on the subs. It is not ideal but this system was definitely perfect for a living room/family room situation where you can't do a traditional set up. I've got one sub in a corner next two two chairs and another off to the side of the other chair near my breakfast bar (where my old sub used to live).

I finally watched a 5.1 surround movie the other night on it and it definitely was exactly what's been missing from movies in this room. I do feel like with non surround content the front speakers are a little more tuned for dialogue than a more traditional soundbar but so far this is a huge upgrade worthy of the upgraded tv that went in the room as well.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #210 of 5300 Old 12-18-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quick question:
So I know this system will decode DTS signals from regular bluerays and UHD blurays, but what will it do with the Dolby 5.1 signals that come from cable boxes and netflix/amazon streaming content?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page