Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1385Likes

post #2071 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMT View Post
Not defective as it works with satellite/Directv perfectly. I have one computer with a GTX 960, and one with a GTX 1080. Both computers have issues occasionally with the signal through the soundbar ARC. Works fine most of the time, but 50% of the time I either have to reset the tv, soundbar, or both.
Awww man, was hoping you would say you were team red so I could blame your issues on crappy AMD driver support

When the issue does come up, is there anything particular that triggers it? IE, does it happen after making a movie full screen, entering or exiting a game, using a program that uses exclusive full screen instead of borderless window (like how vlc does when playing back hdr)?

Since getting the Nakamichi, I've only used my pc to watch 4k blu Ray's, and some non HDR games. I use Media Player classic for the 4k BD and run native 4k on the games (so far just rome total war 2 and Civ 5) so that there is no resolution switching between the game and desktop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got the email with the firmware download!
post #2073 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryunibrow View Post

Great! Let us know the feedback. Anyone else got the firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread

Quote:

excited to hear your feedback, enjoy the upgrade

post #2075 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Can't wait for a review, particularly regarding height effects.
Micarina likes this.
post #2076 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Please let us know your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #2077 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
I really think people here should cut Nakamichi some slack. Obviously they're having some technical or other logistical issue which has delayed the upgrade. The point is, that Nakamichi has been extremely generous and more than fair with its customers, with exemplary customer service. The upgrade is a pure gift to all of the early purchasers, and it will come soon based on everything I've observed about this company.

My girlfriend is a great but slow cook, but when the anticipated dish finally arrives, it's great.
I imagine us long timers mostly looking at this with amusement but it is getting a bit tired when it's every other post and folks are nagging their support.

Oh... and I just checked my junk mail and I have an email from Nak
Micarina likes this.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #2078 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
just received the email with the new Atmos firmware for the 9.2. time to make myself free to upgrade my soundbar.
ari821 likes this.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #2079 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone having these issues?: Soundbar powers itself on and awakes after TV and all devices are off:

I have the Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2Ch. The sound bar is connected to my Samsung 75" Class Q6FN QLED Smart 4K UHD TV Model # QN75Q6FNAFXZA.

I am utilizing the ARC HDMI port on both devices. Nakamichi HDMI 1 ARC and Samsung HDMI 4 ARC . Below are the issues I am experiencing.

Issue : When turning the TV and Sound bar off after about 10 seconds the sound bar is turned back on (awakes) on its own.

Things I've tried to resolve the issue

Updated soundbar to Firmware 2.1

Switching HMDI cable out to 4 different type.

Verified recommended settings on Samsung TV are set to HDMI CEC on and set to Bitstream with Dobly digital

Factory reset both TV and Soundbar.

I am still having the same issue. I took the troubleshooting several steps further. I disconnected and powered off all devices but the TV and sound bar.

I followed all your steps provided by Nakamichi support and the issue still occurs. I factory reset the Samsung TV as well to rule out any APPs on the TV which none are logged into.

When I use the Samsung TV remote as you recommended by support to turn the TV only off. After about 17 seconds the sound bar wakes itself up from standby to ARC. Frustrated with all the time I spent troubleshooting and Nakamichi support pointing fingers at other devices. I purchased Vizio SB36512-F6 36" 5.1.2 Home Theater Sound System and Wireless Subwoofer with Dolby Atmos from Costco. I connected the Vizio exactly the same as the Nakamichi with single Blue Rigger HDMI cable on the sound bars ARC port to the ARC port on my Samsung Q6 LED TV. I do not have any issues with the Vizio at all. Whether it be software bug or hardware I am not sure. The soundbar is getting some type signal from the Samsung TV and rather than ignore it wakes the soundbar up.

Anyone having these issues? I spent an hour with Lead Engineer from Nakamichi only to put a workaround in place which turns CEC off and eliminates use of ARC port on my TV.
I am sure anyone else with a newer TV and this soundbar will run into this issue.
post #2080 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
just received the email with the new Atmos firmware for the 9.2. time to make myself free to upgrade my soundbar.
Please share your thoughts when you have a moment. Looking forward to hearing the feedback. Any chance that said file could be shared? Jk

post #2081 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Can someone with the firmware link post it here so everyone can download it? I signed up for early access and so far nothing (I checked my junk folder too).

Since I know someone will say its unethical/immoral to post a firmware link I figured I'd mention this: No one signed a non-disclosure agreement and anyone was able to sign up for the early access link. There is absolutely nothing wrong with posting the firmware here. If you're nervous about posting it, send me a PM and I'll post it myself.

Last edited by sgr215; 12-30-2018 at 04:11 PM.
post #2082 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'm plenty thankful for their generosity and dedication to us as consumers. I'm just saying they shouldn't dig into our psyche like that when there's work that still needs to be done. Don't hype people up with an unrealistic timeline, let the people who have supported their products relax and when it's finished then surprise everyone with a release.
dhanoopjose likes this.
post #2083 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 8
In the website says that it will now be available in mid January

post #2084 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris25999 View Post
I'm plenty thankful for their generosity and dedication to us as consumers. I'm just saying they shouldn't dig into our psyche like that when there's work that still needs to be done. Don't hype people up with an unrealistic timeline, let the people who have supported their products relax and when it's finished then surprise everyone with a release.

Truthfully, this seems like a variation of "what have you done for me lately?" I frankly don't know of many companies with the same dedication to customer satisfaction as the reborn Nakamichi. And I don't think there's that much digging into anyone's psyche that can be accomplished in a few weeks. This isn't the Manchurian Candidate, after all.

I hope you're happy with the upgrade, and I'm sure that your psyche is just fine.
Viscious82 likes this.

Last edited by taichi4; 12-30-2018 at 04:56 PM.
post #2085 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One thing I can say so far (which is a bummer to me) is that the people who wanted it louder at a lower "number" appear to have won.

I just popped on Last Jedi on netflix through my shield and am getting "Dolby Audio". I'm going to look for a 4k with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos to test next.
malinois1 likes this.

post #2086 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 05:02 PM

Looking forward to hear about how well it handles atmos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
One thing I can say so far (which is a bummer to me) is that the people who wanted it louder at a lower "number" appear to have won.

I just popped on Last Jedi on netflix through my shield and am getting "Dolby Audio". I'm going to look for a 4k with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos to test next.
post #2087 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgr215 View Post
Can someone with the firmware link post it here so everyone can download it? I signed up for early access and so far nothing (I checked my junk folder too).

Since I know someone will say its unethical/immoral to post a firmware link I figured I'd mention this: No one signed a non-disclosure agreement and anyone was able to sign up for the early access link. There is absolutely nothing wrong with posting the firmware here. If you're nervous about posting it, send me a PM and I'll post it myself.

It would be highly appreciated if someone can share the link for the firmware.

Viscious82 likes this.
post #2088 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterhuey View Post
anyone having a problem upgrading their firmware? i keep getting the error "NO FW", which i assume means it's not seeing the firmware on my flash drive. it's the same drive i used to upgrade my firmware last time. 16GB, FAT32, all HDMI cables disconnected, and the .BIN is the only file on the drive. it's a 4MB file, right?

I'll help you troubleshoot. Send me the firmware and/or link and I'll walk you through it
atfree and dhanoopjose like this.
post #2089 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I'll help you troubleshoot. Send me the firmware and/or link and I'll walk you through it
ah you jumped in before i deleted! i swapped drives and it worked. i don't think the link is shareable (not that i would feel right doing so, anyway). it's a very cryptic URL that i think might be keyed to my email. they told everyone how to get on the early access list!
post #2090 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Thanks for sharing, so do you mean it’s detecting DD+ now?

Do you feel any noticeable difference in sound quality other than the volume curve for DD+

I am eagerly waiting for the Dolby digital plus support and better Dolby upmixing for pcm (as suggested by naka during the promised update) as I view lot of streaming content and YouTube .Keeping my fingers crossed

dhanoopjose likes this.
post #2091 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I plan on watching a full movie later, but did test Atmos - I'm not sure what best reference I have handy is, so I watched the club shootout in John Wick and it sounded good. May need to play with my speaker settings to get the most out of it since I reset once I hit the firmware and I am still mostly just noticing the overall loudness.

I also popped in Atomic Blonde for a minute just to see the Dolby Digital flag - so that's great.

Anyways, I'll probably tweak a little then try a movie and report back later. But so far everything promised is there.
ari821 likes this.

post #2092 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post
Thanks for sharing, so do you mean it’s detecting DD+ now?

Do you feel any noticeable difference in sound quality other than the volume curve for DD+

I am eagerly waiting for the Dolby digital plus support and better Dolby upmixing for pcm (as suggested by naka during the promised update) as I view lot of streaming content and YouTube .Keeping my fingers crossed

I only got PCM before, so I guess the "Dolby Audio" is DD+. But yes, just in a few minutes Netflix sounded better than ever.

I do need to tweak a bit before I can definitively say what's better and why, and also try the new processing modes a bit more (and maybe tweak my speaker settings since I have them in dipole mode).
ari821 likes this.

post #2093 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I plan on watching a full movie later, but did test Atmos - I'm not sure what best reference I have handy is, so I watched the club shootout in John Wick and it sounded good. May need to play with my speaker settings to get the most out of it since I reset once I hit the firmware and I am still mostly just noticing the overall loudness.

I also popped in Atomic Blonde for a minute just to see the Dolby Digital flag - so that's great.

Anyways, I'll probably tweak a little then try a movie and report back later. But so far everything promised is there.
That sounds really promising. Have you checked if the bar supports dolby digital+ over arc. Have you tried how well it works with an Xbox one?

post #2094 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
i don't think the link is shareable (not that i would feel right doing so, anyway). it's a very cryptic URL that i think might be keyed to my email. they told everyone how to get on the early access list!

No problem but just to reiterate to anyone else on the fence about sharing the link, there is absolutely no way you can be legally obligated to keep the link secret. You never signed a non-disclosure agreement and you have no contractual obligation to keep that link private. I'm guessing the link looks something like this: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...abc16e4b042b96..............

If so, the link you have is likely the same link that will be posted to the support website in two weeks (assuming the unaware early access "beta testers" don't find any critical bugs).
dhanoopjose likes this.
post #2095 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
How are the SSE modes?
post #2096 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Quote:
I'll help you troubleshoot. Send me the firmware and/or link and I'll walk you through it [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
ah you jumped in before i deleted! i swapped drives and it worked. i don't think the link is shareable (not that i would feel right doing so, anyway). it's a very cryptic URL that i think might be keyed to my email. they told everyone how to get on the early access list!
That would be a valid argument if all you had to do was signup for the early access. But since I did not purchase through Amazon and complete a review I assume I was not eligible for the early access. So it wasn’t as simple as ‘they told everyone how to get the early access’.
post #2097 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
(assuming the unaware early access "beta testers" don't find any critical bugs).
yeah, this feels like a beta. it's pretty clunky starting playback of TrueHD (non-Atmos) streams, and i can't get audio through ARC at all with my LG TV. that's after 10 minutes of poking around.
post #2098 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knarf231 View Post
That would be a valid argument if all you had to do was signup for the early access. But since I did not purchase through Amazon and complete a review I assume I was not eligible for the early access. So it wasn’t as simple as ‘they told everyone how to get the early access’.

Then there's those of us who signed up for early access yet didn't get a link. Then there's other promised a release in October... and November. Just sayin'.

Quote:
yeah, this feels like a beta. it's pretty clunky starting playback of TrueHD (non-Atmos) streams, and i can't get audio through ARC at all with my LG TV. that's after 10 minutes of poking around.

It's seems to be typical slow rollout to gauge whether there are any unforeseen bugs. This way they don't get inundated with support emails. This really should have been an open beta though. Especially considering they missed the deadline three times now (among other things related to the rollout).

To those of you who think it's unfair to criticize a business (especially a good one). This is a business and not a personal friend. You want fairness in business, consider a 501(c)(3). Otherwise, criticism is a fundamental part of doing business and "What can you do for me today" is the ever-present mantra of the consumer. After all, we asked ourselves this very question when we abandoned our prior soundbar and bought a Nakamichi.
post #2099 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 40
We just watched a Dolby vision movie on Netflix and feel that the overall sound is better coming from a Dolby 5.1 track.... Is that just me or is there something I should change on the soundbar when watching vision? We have the 7.2. Thanks!
post #2100 of 5804 Old 12-30-2018, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
We just watched a Dolby vision movie on Netflix and feel that the overall sound is better coming from a Dolby 5.1 track.... Is that just me or is there something I should change on the soundbar when watching vision? We have the 7.2. Thanks!
Dolby Vision has nothing to do with audio, do you mean Dolby Atmos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page