Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1327Likes

post #2341 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just got a Sony x700 4k bluray player, while my LGUBK90 is being repaired and I have it hooked up to HDMI 3 of sound bar then goes out to LG C8. I put the Matrix in and the audio kept playing without issue by the picture would go black several times during a 5 minute scene. I then hooked the player straight to tv hdmi1 and sent sound only to sound bar and it worked as expected. Something seems to be up with Nachamichi passing dolby vision to tv. Anyone run into this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Just thought I would weigh in on the firmware update topic. I have had the 9.2 system for almost 1 yr. now and it has been awesome. I have had the update for over a week now and this is what issues I am having. I have a Sony x800 uhd player, Xbox oneX, and direct tv 4k all going into the soundbar and then arc out to my Sony xbr65z9d. All of my issues seem to be with everything audio and video wise passing arc to the tv. I believe the issues are with the arc function on the soundbar since the update. Built in apps like Netflix on tv, uhd player, and Xbox will not pass Dolby audio all the time. I have had drop outs and crackling sounds on all sources. This is however fixed when pcm audio is switched on all the Netflix apps. This defeats the purpose of the update however. While playing uhd discs on the player I get both audio and video drop outs. It does pass hdr and Dolby Atmos but the sound sometimes gets distorted or begins to crackle. I can confirm however by switching to another hdmi source and then back does correct this but only for a few minutes until it happens again. With the direct tv I have no issues. 4k hdr passes and no issues at all with the Dolby audio passing. No drop outs what so ever. I also have no issues with the Xbox passing Dolby audio or hdr while playing games. I have not tried uhd discs yet in the Xbox. I have tried different hdmi cables, doing a hard and soft reset on both the tv and soundbar, and also resetting the cec control on the tv and soundbar. Nothing seems to get it working right since the update. I had none of these issues before the firmware update. I have emailed nakamichi with my issues and am waiting for a response.
post #2343 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been reading the last few pages since the update and many people have been saying 10 bit is not supported when connecting a device (Blu-ray, Android player like the Nvidia Shield, etc) directly to one of the HDMI ports on the bar.

How can that possibly be? How can Nakamichi sell the 2019 9.2 shockwafe for like 1500 dollars and it can only do 8 bit? If that is true I would never had purchased this, and one of the only reasons I did purchase this was when they announced dobly vision passthrough, and Atmos support. Seems like a huge lie and legal liability if it really is unable to do these things. False advertising? Am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2344 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone have some good rear speaker wall mount suggestions? Ideally something that has good rotation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2345 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdred View Post
I just got a Sony x700 4k bluray player, while my LGUBK90 is being repaired and I have it hooked up to HDMI 3 of sound bar then goes out to LG C8. I put the Matrix in and the audio kept playing without issue by the picture would go black several times during a 5 minute scene. I then hooked the player straight to tv hdmi1 and sent sound only to sound bar and it worked as expected. Something seems to be up with Nachamichi passing dolby vision to tv. Anyone run into this?
I have this same player (which I picked up after having an LG die on me); with an LG C7. No problems with Dolby Vision at all, also running HDMI 3.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #2346 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread

My Xbox one s passed all the tests with 10 bit color , not sure why it is told by naka that bar can support 8-bit.
It is connected directly to the bar.

post #2347 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post
My Xbox one s passed all the tests with 10 bit color , not sure why it is told by naka that bar can support 8-bit.
It is connected directly to the bar.

Hmm. Not sure why some people are saying they are only able to get 8 bit. I think I'm going to wait on updating to the new frimware after any kinks are worked out and they release another firmware update. I love the bass and people have also been saying they noticed that bass is not as loud anymore. Nakamichi seems to have incredible customer support, so hopefully they are reading these forum posts, speaking with owners and getting right on to looking at any issues and correcting them. I do love the system, and just want to be able to connect my Nvidia shield directly to the bar so I can play true HD Atmos and DTS HD files with 10 bit HDR. If they can fix all that stuff, I will say this is still one of the best systems you can buy for the price.
post #2348 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mces97 View Post
Hmm. Not sure why some people are saying they are only able to get 8 bit. I think I'm going to wait on updating to the new frimware after any kinks are worked out and they release another firmware update. I love the bass and people have also been saying they noticed that bass is not as loud anymore. Nakamichi seems to have incredible customer support, so hopefully they are reading these forum posts, speaking with owners and getting right on to looking at any issues and correcting them. I do love the system, and just want to be able to connect my Nvidia shield directly to the bar so I can play true HD Atmos and DTS HD files with 10 bit HDR. If they can fix all that stuff, I will say this is still one of the best systems you can buy for the price.
OK I just replaced the 6 ft Monoprice certified cable on my Xbox One X with a 10 ft cable of the same type and now I can change the color depth to 10 bit with no issues. Game HDR10 is working as expected. Not sure why I got my earlier result using the 6 ft cable but there you go.

LG 55C6P OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console/Apple TV 4K
post #2349 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
OK I just replaced the 6 ft Monoprice certified cable on my Xbox One X with a 10 ft cable of the same type and now I can change the color depth to 10 bit with no issues. Game HDR10 is working as expected. Not sure why I got my earlier result using the 6 ft cable but there you go.
Alright cool. I just signed up for the update (I know, lazy). I'll decide if I want to update it after another week or so and more people chime in. My TV can't do Dolby vision, so that's not a big issue. But I have basically zero issues now with the default firmware the bar came with. Really want to test Atmos but if it is at the expense of getting blank screens, and less bass, I might wait some more until they fix everything.
post #2350 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New to the site. I am sure stated already but Xbox one X. I noticed when I get a black screen after runing HDMI from Xbox to Soundbar, if I turn off HDMI ULTRA HD DEEP COLOR ON THAT HDMI PORT all works great. I noted sometimes it loaded ok, then went to Netfix and screen went black. Turned off HDMI ULTRA, then video perfect. Just in case...I have a new LG 4K along with all the other video sources.
post #2351 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 02:18 PM

Liked: 0
Sorry yes on upgraded firmware ....
post #2352 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Someone a couple of pages back was talking about Freesync and Xbox One X with the Naka. Supposively the HDFury Vertex can passthrough Freesync and Auto Low-Latency in "automix" mode. Have had the Vertex for a few months now and Freesync never worked correctly for me when using it, but it could be because I have it set to "7.1 MAX" instead of automix.
post #2353 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
I have an integral 2 and I'm not able to get freesync, 1440p, and auto game mode to work properly. I'm not sure what settings are needed to get this working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris25999 View Post
Someone a couple of pages back was talking about Freesync and Xbox One X with the Naka. Supposively the HDFury Vertex can passthrough Freesync and Auto Low-Latency in "automix" mode. Have had the Vertex for a few months now and Freesync never worked correctly for me when using it, but it could be because I have it set to "7.1 MAX" instead of automix.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Viscious82; 01-04-2019 at 09:46 PM.
post #2354 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
That is odd but great to know. My experience with July firmware was not the cable though because I simply used the same cable and ran it to the Tv instead of the bar and Xbox one x gave me 10 and 12 bit options to select, when run directly to the bar I couldn’t select anything. I would be ecstatic if this new firmware fixes that problem.
post #2355 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 03:51 PM

Liked: 1
Got the new firmware and updated and ran into some issues.

I have an older 1080p TV and an Apple TV 4k and everything was working fine with the older firmware with apple TV connected directly to sound bar. With the new firmware I have 3 issues :
  • Apple TV 4k directly connected to soundbar and I get no picture(blank screen) and if I play something on apple tv, I can get sound but still no picture.
  • CEC that used to work fine before doesn't work any more. turning ON the apple TV used to trigger the TV and soundbar ON but not any more.
  • Connecting apple TV directly to TV gets me picture but no audio through the HDMI cable. To get audio, I have to connect the OPT cable.
Any one getting this issue with apple TV? Wonder why I can't get picture when directly connected to soundbar?
post #2356 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
Quote:
I have this same player (which I picked up after having an LG die on me); with an LG C7. No problems with Dolby Vision at all, also running HDMI 3.
Hmmm. That's interesting cause it's on everything 4k disc I try. Are you on the latest Sony firmware? I have do e full power down and unplug also issue still happenings. Maybe I ll try a factory reset on the 9.2.
post #2357 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Hmmm. That's interesting cause it's on everything 4k disc I try. Are you on the latest Sony firmware? I have do e full power down and unplug also issue still happenings. Maybe I ll try a factory reset on the 9.2.
I do have the latest Sony firmware. I did a reset after installing the Nak firmware. DV was the first thing I tried.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #2358 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I do have the latest Sony firmware. I did a reset after installing the Nak firmware. DV was the first thing I tried.
I did a factory reset after in stalled the new Nachmichi firmware but that was before I put in the x700. Here is a link to the issue I am seeing. The logo in the upper right is dolby vision.
https://youtu.be/Ok1YWM_V0dQ
post #2359 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After reading all these issues, think I'll wait on the Nakamichi
post #2360 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did a factory reset after in stalled the new Nachmichi firmware but that was before I put in the x700. Here is a link to the issue I am seeing. The logo in the upper right is dolby vision.
https://youtu.be/Ok1YWM_V0dQ
So interestingly enough I disconnected all hdmi cables. Did a factory reset on sound bar, and then powered all devices down again. Powered on sound bar and tv. Connect hdmi tv arc to arc. Powered on other source devices and hooked up hdmi cables. I have been watching Venom 4k bluray disk for 15 minutes now with no issues. I'll try Dead Pool2 again later. Appears this did resolve the issue on the Sont X700 player.
CoreyM likes this.
post #2361 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Xbox 1X/S 10 bit mode setting.

Quote:
The Xbox auto switches to 10bit upon HDR and 10 bit content supposedly. One reddit forum says to select 8 bit and check the 4:2:2 option on the Xbox 1x/s setting. I cant post a link since my level is too low, but google " Correct Color Depth System Setting for 4K is 8-bit. : Xbox_One_X" .
post #2362 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Question Forgive Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
So, first is a quick question, is there a sub volume menu for each sub on the 7.2 Elite: DTS:X or is it "Bass".

Secondly, I'm not hearing anything coming out of the two rears even though I have the feed as Dolby digital and Neural X is on... most of the time. Live TV via antenna pushing 5.1 though the TV generally doesn't have this issue.

But third, and what I am figuring out is which way the subs should be facing... Let's say for instance I follow this diagram from Nakamichi as I've have attached below. They are on both sides of the couch, half the length to the tv and bar. Should I be facing the woofers with the clean side facing the room (aka, good looking, power goes into walls, and I sneak the RCA's underneath back under the subwoofer to the rear speakers. OR, at the "clean" sides supposed to face front, exposing the wires and woofer to the room for all to see (not as pretty, but i want what will should sound best...)

Finally, I thought I saw a post with a link that might get me the new firmware faster. Can someone post that link, or is it just the product registration page?

Finally, my room is small but the right firing front speakers go into a hall and kitchen oblivion... yet it doesn't seem that way, and it has the proper clearance as "suggested" but the image below. Is that going to be pretty ok? And what crossover setting seems to be the most popular here?

Thanks a bunch!
I apparently posted this at the worst possible time since the magic firmware was released at the exact same time.... but now that you have had time to digest, can anyone take a moment to answer my questions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2018-12-31 063510.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	2505950  
post #2363 of 5311 Old 01-04-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiecap View Post
The Xbox auto switches to 10bit upon HDR and 10 bit content supposedly. One reddit forum says to select 8 bit and check the 4:2:2 option on the Xbox 1x/s setting. I cant post a link since my level is too low, but google " Correct Color Depth System Setting for 4K is 8-bit. : Xbox_One_X" .
I actually wouldn't be using an Xbox One but an Nvidia Shield. Has anyone updated to to new firmware and use the Shield? Would love to know if 4k 10 bit is the available option.
post #2364 of 5311 Old 01-05-2019, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Just to add on to my HDR setup experience.

With the previous firmware I used 8-bit color space on my Xbox one x. Prior to the new firmware release, I decided to purchase the blue rigger cable that naka team recommended. So now when the bar is upgraded with the latest firmware and new cable, I do get 12-bit option on my xbox one x connecting directly to soundbar. it works fine with games and apps. I played gears of war 4 just to try it out for a while and Dolby vision content on Netflix, both works fine so far.

I did notice when changing the color space may run into black screen sometime, for xbox one x especially. You can try to do force shut down by press and hold the xbox power button for 10 secs while the xbox is on. Once it is off, just power it back on again. it will help to clear the cache in the system to improve hdmi detection with the overall setup. After I done that, I see no more black screen appear. pretty stable for now.

I think you guys can give it shot if you have xbox one x with the new firmware. I do believe the HDMI cable play a big part in this too.
ari821 likes this.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #2365 of 5311 Old 01-05-2019, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I actually wouldn't be using an Xbox One but an Nvidia Shield. Has anyone updated to to new firmware and use the Shield? Would love to know if 4k 10 bit is the available option.
Yes 4K 10bit has been available on this bar since it launched. I've been using it that way since I got it way before this firmware came out.
This fully supports 4K 10bit on the shield, use it everyday
ari821 likes this.
post #2366 of 5311 Old 01-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
I apparently posted this at the worst possible time since the magic firmware was released at the exact same time.... but now that you have had time to digest, can anyone take a moment to answer my questions?

The sub volume is controlled by the bass key in the remote.

The sub is downfiring and hence direction of the sub facing won’t change experience much. However , if possible you may try to place the subs near a wall.If not possible just place the sub which keeps your room aesthetic clean.

The rear speakers will not be alive for all contents. However, always keep the surround on option from the remote, this might improve your experience.Certain content don’t have the channels for surround so the neural x still tries to upmix and might not succeed.

After you receive the firmware upgrade for your model, you will find that even pcm content are exceptional when upmixed by Dolby .

post #2367 of 5311 Old 01-05-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Is the Atmos update out for the 7.2 yet?

I also have a few more questions, and bare with me, I'm a newbie and I'm still trying to learn all this stuff. I have a Sony 900E, Sony X800, and the 7.2 system.

I keep hearing you can't pass Atmos and DTS-X through ARC? But when I play movies with DTS-X, it displays it on the screen. So is it actually working? Is it just compressed and not fully playing the audio. I tried to using all HMDI ports and not ARC but could not get anything to work. And the instructions from Nakamichi says to use the ARC. Really confused. Can someone walk me through this?
post #2368 of 5311 Old 01-05-2019, 03:48 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post
The sub volume is controlled by the bass key in the remote.

The sub is downfiring and hence direction of the sub facing won’t change experience much. However , if possible you may try to place the subs near a wall.If not possible just place the sub which keeps your room aesthetic clean.

The rear speakers will not be alive for all contents. However, always keep the surround on option from the remote, this might improve your experience.Certain content don’t have the channels for surround so the neural x still tries to upmix and might not succeed.

After you receive the firmware upgrade for your model, you will find that even pcm content are exceptional when upmixed by Dolby .

And my repost was at the right time as it has become.... very quiet.

Thanks for the answers. So I could pass dolby or DTS all day but if it has a 2.0 mix say from certain channels vs others on the same streaming app, I should probably be glad it's trying to upmix to at least 5.1 with the soundbar?

One last question about the subs: I only even asked because of the giant vents on the back and I feel like I could be either ruining sound or losing sound, but someone knows more about that than me so I asked.

But, is their diagram really the best idea? If I did a diagonal sub scenario, the front left could go pretty much surrounded by two sides of wall, and the entertainment center (really sleek, really good looking, really cheap, aka a pain in my ass until I was done putting it together... = IKEA). I'd probably pull that one a little forward so it wouldn't be crazy surrounded for obvious reasons. The right front sub would be close to the right side of the couch diagonally from the front left sub, but next to and closer to the couch, which would give the right sub a surface to vibrate off of besides the floor, and make everything clean.

BUT would that totally throw off the EVENNESS I get with them both right there boom in the middle of the room?

I ask because I think I saw someone attempt this. But this thread is long. As is this post so...

Thank you to anyone who answers.

Finally, am i the only one here who does not use Tapatalk, but doesn't even know what it is? I am a computer programmer, and it disconcerts me that I assume it's for messaging?

If no one answers, I'll end up Googling it later, but if anyone wants to weigh in because SO MANY POSTS ON THIS PARTICULAR FROUM say sent from Tapatalk, I want to hear why from you guys (because you guys and girls rock... just being serious, this forum is the best forum ever, quirky at times usually for the better, all is mostly figured out in the end because threads don't usually die until there is nothing left to tear apart on the topic so it's awesome, but we already knew that).

Thanks!
PS. Did not proofread. Playoffs on.

Last edited by starrfighter; 01-05-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #2369 of 5311 Old 01-05-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
After talking to Nakamichi support they are looking into the ARC issues with the LG TVs. They also said that the soundbar HDMI ports only support 8-bit which I found surprising. Right now my Xbox One X, when plugged directly into an HDMI port on the soundbar, cannot display any HDR content via apps, 4K Blu-ray or games. It does play Atmos content fine. When the Xbox is hooked directly to the TV HDR works properly but of course I can only output auto via PCM. While having Atmos when plugged into the soundbar is great I'm not giving up HDR for it...

I replied back to Nakamichi with my additional findings and awaiting their response. This firmware is still a work in progress but they've had great support to date.
So my HDR issues are all my fault. I didn't bother checking the HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color setting on HDMI 2 on my 65C8 as it had been set to on. I forgot I reset the TV and didn't turn it back on when I put all my settings back in. All HDR content is now playing correctly on my Xbox One X with the new soundbar firmware. Clearly the HDMI ports can do more than 8-bit color. Now if Nakamichi can fix the ARC issue and set the default sub level higher the update will be good to go!
RickD_99 and ari821 like this.

65C8P l 65B6P l P55-C1 l Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 & Elite 7.2 l XB1 X l PS4 Pro l Switch

Last edited by bpmurr; 01-05-2019 at 05:23 PM.
post #2370 of 5311 Old 01-05-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
So my HDR issues are all my fault. I didn't bother checking the HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color setting on HDMI 2 on my 65C8 as it had been set to on. I forgot I reset the TV and didn't turn it back on when I put all my settings back in. All HDR content is now playing correctly on my Xbox One X with the new soundbar firmware. Clearly the HDMI ports can do more than 8-bit color. Now if Nakamichi can fix the ARC issue and set the default sub level higher the update will be good to go!
Yes, you absolutely need HDMI DEEP Color On the LG 65C8, which by the way may be the best value vs price TV I have purchased since.. 2000? I STILL haven't calibrated it yet, because it's calibration which can take your day away, and then another, and another... and a couple days later, yet another....... Out of box, as long as you turn off almost all of the general processing we all turn off, ISF Dark Mode is killer... it makes me wonder if I would to fry my eyeballs out with ISF Light room mode on instead... it looks pretty stellar. I WILL CALIBRATE, no one judge me, but wow, the LG 65C8 is.... I am scared to clean it. Or touch it. Or breathe on it. And I got the black friday best price scenario... Good choice. Right out of the box. Which never happens. I love this TV and with no effort. When I put in the effort, I'm guessing 5-10% more satisfaction max? I digress. With Xbox One X HDMI Deep Color. Whether direct to TV or soundbar.

I am not bothering calibrating the Naka 7.2 Elite because I'll wait for the firmware, again other than turning off one or two things, making sure Neural X is probably on... but it is also really good out of the box (and 2.1 FW update).

it has been a pleasure in upgrading my living room this season for the first time not have a back spasm, hip replacement, or making my eyes go so red deciding what REALLY looks better. This pair just... I wouldn't give it a total 5/5 because I haven't calibrated, waiting on firmware, etc, but just... I can't remember not having to spend days making things just right. They just... are. For the pricepoint. And some above pricepoints.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page