Official Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 and 7.2 dts:x dual subwoofers soundbars thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1277Likes

post #2881 of 5076 Old 01-31-2019, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
Well not december, jan 15th or mid january, its still January! Could be worse. I hope 7.2 is soon to follow. Hoping its a matter of writing little code and is really more like commenting out anything referring to the extra two speakers from the 9.2, and a little rerouting of sounds and volumes and EQs to have 7.2 optimization. AKA hoping its as easy as that... guessing for some reasom probably.not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed! I was happy to see the 9.3 update only because now it means they move onto 7.2, which is what I have. Can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
atfree likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 5076 Old 01-31-2019, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadavar View Post
I also have the harmony hub and remote and highly recommend with the naka if you have a few devices connected to it.
The things you lose are voice control to things like Android tv or fire TV.
Another thing I think could be better is to add buttons unrelated to activities or to have activities that can run along with something else, then it could work with an air conditioning as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’m still tweaking, and will work on it more post latest firmware, but have had luck running an Alexa Dot and using some voice commands in combination with harmony one + hub.

I say “Alexa, play music” the hub turns on the bar, selects appropriate input (dot connects via aux), and pulls up my Amazon Music and then can adjust volume and music via the dot.

I assume I can work inputs and tv once I sit down to figure it out.

Any other harmony/naka bar tips would be appreciated.
post #2883 of 5076 Old 01-31-2019, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
Thank you guys so much!! Will grab the harmony elite!! Appreciate it!
Also, if you don't want to spend a ton, you don't need the elite necessarily.

The lower end/cheaper models like the 650 or 655 work just as well if you don't need the hub.
Thank you, looking at the 655 however getting confused with this being an "ir" remote? Does that mean I will have issues using it to control the b7a because the soundbar sits in front of the TV ans the remote will not direct line of site to it? Seems from reading about it and reviews it will do everything that I will need it to but a bit worried that I will have to stand up and get "above" the sound bar to turn the TV on/off. Thanks for all the help guys!

One more question, I noticed when I plugged fire 4k stick into the bar directly it would not display Dolby vision only hdr.... Is the update solving this issue where the bar will read Dolby vision and transfer to the TV as well?

Last edited by Robertczek; 01-31-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2884 of 5076 Old 01-31-2019, 02:18 PM
mnb

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertczek View Post
Thank you, looking at the 655 however getting confused with this being an "ir" remote? Does that mean I will have issues using it to control the b7a because the soundbar sits in front of the TV ans the remote will not direct line of site to it? Seems from reading about it and reviews it will do everything that I will need it to but a bit worried that I will have to stand up and get "above" the sound bar to turn the TV on/off. Thanks for all the help guys!

One more question, I noticed when I plugged fire 4k stick into the bar directly it would not display Dolby vision only hdr.... Is the update solving this issue where the bar will read Dolby vision and transfer to the TV as well?
It is a standard IR remote like most remotes. You do have to point in the direction of the device you are tryin to control and it generally will need line of site. That being said, I suppose for your TV it would depend on how blocked the its IR receiver really is. It may look blocked but may be able to receive signals from the remote just fine. The IR signals tend to bounce off of walls and objects so you never know.

Not sure that it would be any different even if you bought the Elite version. For your tv (since it is not in a cabinet, getting signals from the hub) would also have to be controlled with IR from the Elite. Although if it didn't work and you had the elite, you could use a ir extender from the hub to put the signal to the tv directly.
post #2885 of 5076 Old 01-31-2019, 04:58 PM

I upgraded to the 3.1 firmware and my Xbox one x which is directly connected to the soundbar outputs no sound when Dolby Atmos is selected. If I change it to output Dolby or DTS the sound works. Anyone have any ideas?
post #2886 of 5076 Old 01-31-2019, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAgave View Post
Yes to use the app on the TV you need to use ARC.

You wont get ATMOS via ARC since they arent supporting DD+ so if you want ATMOS you'll need to use an external player that supports it and use one of the HDMI inputs of the sound bar.
Which streaming device does everyone here recommend? I require a Netflix implementation that allows to me enjoy DV and atmos content, but support for other services with HDR/DV and atmos is optional though I would prefer a device with the broadest support.
post #2887 of 5076 Old 01-31-2019, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony.B View Post
I upgraded to the 3.1 firmware and my Xbox one x which is directly connected to the soundbar outputs no sound when Dolby Atmos is selected. If I change it to output Dolby or DTS the sound works. Anyone have any ideas?
Try switching inputs (to an unused one is fine, the only thing I have connected is the X) then back. This works for me every time. I didn't have this issue on 3.0 so I'm probably going back to it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #2888 of 5076 Old 01-31-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Gaillard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony.B View Post
Try switching inputs (to an unused one is fine, the only thing I have connected is the X) then back. This works for me every time. I didn't have this issue on 3.0 so I'm probably going back to it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion however I just tried it and that doesn’t fix mine. When I switch back to the Xbox the soundbar displays PCM-MC and has no sound at all.
post #2889 of 5076 Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
Well not december, jan 15th or mid january, its still January! Could be worse. I hope 7.2 is soon to follow. Hoping its a matter of writing little code and is really more like commenting out anything referring to the extra two speakers from the 9.2, and a little rerouting of sounds and volumes and EQs to have 7.2 optimization. AKA hoping its as easy as that... guessing for some reasom probably.not.

Coding should be easy but Dolby certification will take a while.
post #2890 of 5076 Old 01-31-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
How are people getting version 3.1.?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Love mine. Bass is back to before and the surrounds are much louder. Kudos to Nakamichi for listening to user feedback.
post #2891 of 5076 Old 01-31-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysocky View Post
I just upgraded to 3.1 from 1.0c and now, regarding the pure direct button on the remote, I don’t know what to use for pcm content, should I put it on native, Dolby surround, or Dolby upmix? It used to be I would leave it on neural x all the time but now it has changed and nothing I use sounds as good as it did before I updated.

I have yet to try any Atmos content, but when I do would it be the same setting as above?
Use Dolby Surround. Dolby seems to be far superior playing back PCM vs DTS Neural X. I will say PCM sounds as good as DD+ on my system.
post #2892 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Amazon's reviews for Nakamichi get a D ranking from fakespot.com, totally fake reviews. Sony's top end soundbar also has an F rating. Hard to tell what atmos soundbar to get because of this.

IN PROGRESS - Outdoor Theater:
Epson G7500U, Carl's Place CIH 21ft wide x 9ft screen

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"
post #2893 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabobi View Post
Which streaming device does everyone here recommend? I require a Netflix implementation that allows to me enjoy DV and atmos content, but support for other services with HDR/DV and atmos is optional though I would prefer a device with the broadest support.
If you need ATMOS with Netflix then your choices are limited. According to their website, these are the only devices that can stream Netflix with Atmos and 2 of them are TVs which wont work:

Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)
LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)
Pixela 4K Smart Tuner
Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models)
Windows 10 computer or tablet (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X

Im definitely disappointed they decided to not support Atmos over ARC. Knowing the bar was getting ATMOS was a big selling point for me but i guess i shouldnt have assumed they would support it via DD+. i will say the bar does a great job with the 5.1 sound i get from netflix instead. As someone else posted earlier in the thread, watch Daredevil season 1 episode 5 from 13:40 for 3 minutes or so. The way the sound spins around the room from speaker to speaker when the guy is singing is really cool.
Kabobi likes this.
post #2894 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Quote:
If you need ATMOS with Netflix then your choices are limited. According to their website, these are the only devices that can stream Netflix with Atmos and 2 of them are TVs which wont work:

Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)
LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)
Pixela 4K Smart Tuner
Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models)
Windows 10 computer or tablet (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X

Im definitely disappointed they decided to not support Atmos over ARC. Knowing the bar was getting ATMOS was a big selling point for me but i guess i shouldnt have assumed they would support it via DD+. i will say the bar does a great job with the 5.1 sound i get from netflix instead. As someone else posted earlier in the thread, watch Daredevil season 1 episode 5 from 13:40 for 3 minutes or so. The way the sound spins around the room from speaker to speaker when the guy is singing is really cool.
So I have a fire stick 4k which I understand does not support atmos on Netflix but does support dolby vision on Netflix.... However when I plug the stick into the 7.2 it only reads hdr... Will the update recognize Dolby vision?

And if I can't play atmos through the Netflix app on fire stick, which setting on the soundbar will sound the best? Dolby surround from what I'm reading?? Can I just leave "Dolby surround" on for all sources like I currently leave nueral x on right now prior to the new firmware?
post #2895 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post
So they seriously can't just get Adobe certification for the whole line? They have to go model by model? Couldn't they have gotten certification for all models simultaneously or do they have to prove the firmware works first?

post #2896 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post
Amazon's reviews for Nakamichi get a D ranking from fakespot.com, totally fake reviews. Sony's top end soundbar also has an F rating. Hard to tell what atmos soundbar to get because of this.
While I don't put a lot of faith in fakespot.com, I would suggest perusing the 97 pages of comments on this forum. The vast majority of us posting are actual owners. I would also advise you to look at all reviews on Amazon for the various Naka models, and then sort by "Verified Purchase" which indicates the reviewer actually bought the system.

I've had the 7.1 Pro DTS:X for over a year now. Best sound bar I've ever heard. From my standpoint, the 4 HDMI inputs (all supporting 4K UHD pass-through, High Dynamic Range (HDR), HDCP 2.2, and soon to support Dolby Vision passthrough and Dolby Atmos) are the crucial difference between this and other soundbars. Most Vizio, Sony, LG, Samsung, etc soundbars have one HDMI, maybe 2, so if you have multiple input devices you're forced to use optical for at least one of them.

I've been more than pleased, looking forward to getting the update to DV and Atmos later this Spring. I've also been fairly amazed with Naka's customer service. They generally respond to emails within hours with specific feedback based on my set-up.

But I'm just one person.....
CoreyM and Nujacc like this.

Vizio M50-E1 (2017)
LG UBK90 UHD Blu-Ray Player
Nakamichi 7.1 Pro DTS:X Soundbar
Directv Genie
post #2897 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As someone else posted earlier in the thread, watch Daredevil season 1 episode 5 from 13:40 for 3 minutes or so. The way the sound spins around the room from speaker to speaker when the guy is singing is really cool.[/QUOTE]

Try Ready Player One from 11:27 to 17:00 the race is so cool.
And Hacksaw Ridge from 1:11:01 to 1:24:00 for a battle scene that puts you right in the middle of it.
post #2898 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I am a proud owner of a 9.2. The naka soundbars been around for over 14 months, if the reviews are fake, the recent reviews should be all low ratings but they are mostly 4s and 5s. Even the critical reviewers are mostly commenting on how good it sounds.
atfree likes this.
post #2899 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by atfree View Post
From my standpoint, the 4 HDMI inputs (all supporting 4K UHD pass-through, High Dynamic Range (HDR), HDCP 2.2, and soon to support Dolby Vision passthrough and Dolby Atmos) are the crucial difference between this and other soundbars. Most Vizio, Sony, LG, Samsung, etc soundbars have one HDMI, maybe 2, so if you have multiple input devices you're forced to use optical for at least one of them.
This is the biggie. And it's huge. If you're buying a soundbar, you're making compromises for simplicity's sake. With this bar, you can handle all your source switching for the average living room. Also it supports optical and digital coax, plus mini-stereo jacks, blue-tooth, and who knows what USB can do besides firmware?

I have a dedicated home theater that a soundbar won't compete with but this thing blows away the first DD 5.1 setup I had 20 years ago.

Also the support they provide is unrivaled and they clearly listen to customer feedback when tweaking features, I don't always agree with the decisions (to revert to the old loudness curve, for one); but I have to give a huge thumbs up to any company that does this, and I was clearly in the minority on that opinion.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #2900 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I am planning to buy an oled TV, and I was wondering what’s people experience with their oled tv and the naka 9.2 bar. I am looking into the LG C8/E8 and the Sony A9F. I just want to know if anyone is having any issues with these models and the naka bar. Thanks in advance.

post #2901 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
This is the biggie. And it's huge. If you're buying a soundbar, you're making compromises for simplicity's sake. With this bar, you can handle all your source switching for the average living room. Also it supports optical and digital coax, plus mini-stereo jacks, blue-tooth, and who knows what USB can do besides firmware?

I have a dedicated home theater that a soundbar won't compete with but this thing blows away the first DD 5.1 setup I had 20 years ago.

Also the support they provide is unrivaled and they clearly listen to customer feedback when tweaking features, I don't always agree with the decisions (to revert to the old loudness curve, for one); but I have to give a huge thumbs up to any company that does this, and I was clearly in the minority on that opinion.
I agree completely buddy and I appreciate your candor. Great company, great product and great forum
post #2902 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
If you have to have Dolby Vision and Atmos, I think the only option is Apple TV. But I would otherwise recommend the Shield.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #2903 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I found another problem that is pretty big.  I have an LG UBK90 4k bluray player.  When playing movies in Atmos the sound just stops.  The only way to get sound back is to cycle to a different input on Nakamichi or stop and start the movie and not even stopping and starting the movie works all the time. I watched Logan 4k with Atmos and audio has stopped 15x which is pretty terrible.

I did not experience this issue with FW30V3 but am seeing it with FW31. LG player is hooked up to HDMI3 on Nakamichi and then goes out to HDMI2 on LG tv.  I do not loose video at all. I really appreciate what Nakamichi is doing but some of these really basic things should work.

Last edited by jbdred; 02-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #2904 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahjer View Post

Try Ready Player One from 11:27 to 17:00 the race is so cool.
And Hacksaw Ridge from 1:11:01 to 1:24:00 for a battle scene that puts you right in the middle of it.
Thanks for the tip. What sources did you use for those? Dont see them on Neftflix.

Also check out the Dolby Atmos Trailer Amaze. You can download it on dolby's website and play it with Plex. It sounds incredible on this sound bar.
post #2905 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicoled View Post

Pretty sure they have the Dolby certification. It’s just ‘retro-fitting’ the software to 7.2.

post #2906 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praag View Post
Pretty sure they have the Dolby certification. It’s just ‘retro-fitting’ the software to 7.2.

I agree. I just hope that they have a few people working in tandem on the 7.2 while the 9.2 gets all the attention because mostly to continue their work pretty much off the same newest 9.2 firmware instead of the first one 9.2 beta and then 7.2 going their own way, or worse, a team witing the 7.2 firmware from scratch (doubtful, but the same feature calls can be all there with code being written differently by others for better or worse. Its a no brainer not to do this but ive seen it far too often...)

If the 7.2 code keeps going along side each new 9.2 firmware I guess retroactive coding should be second nature by now and the easiest part.

Only changes for the sound model with two less speakers and driver wattage differences should be the only thing that make 7.2 a couple of quick firmwares at the beginning after 9.2 is truly finalized which I think not yet but soon. Maybe one more even though the 9.2 firmware is up... maybe one last one, maybe working on the known issues while finishing 7.2 would be smart. Two birds one stone.

If 7.2 were given the original 9.2 firmware have been working off of that and not moving along as 9.2 changes have been made or if they havent started 7.2, thats a mess.

But I think they are doing a decent job though. Just crossing my best practices fingers.

Praag likes this.

post #2907 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. What sources did you use for those? Dont see them on Neftflix.

Also check out the Dolby Atmos Trailer Amaze. You can download it on dolby's website and play it with Plex. It sounds incredible on this sound bar.

Streaming from my VUDU account.
post #2908 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 05:06 PM

After loading the new 3.1 firmware, I decided to play around with the settings and tweak my sound settings and would recommend your try this if you have the 9.2 Sound Bar. It has provided me with more overhead sound stage from the sound bar and better noticeable front sound separation coming from the sound bar. I use to run the SS setting at 8 and the SB setting at 10. While this did provide extra load audio for those channels, with the new firmware it drowned out audio coming from the sound bar itself. So now my SS setting is 2 and the SB setting is also 2. Audio from the center channel and front surround for me just popped and I heard things I was missing before. Your mileage may vary.

Below are all my settings:

DSP = OFF
VOL= 40
SSE = 2
B = 7
CR = 6
TR = 8
SS = 2
SB = 2
R= 0
L = 0
STEREO = OFF
CROSS = 180
DRC = OFF
CEC = OFF
DIA = +3
EC0 = OFF
ROOM SIZE = MED

FW = 31

Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2
Sony XBE65900E
Nvidia Sheild TV
Hauppauge WinTV dual USB Tuner
Nintendo Switch
Nintendo WiiU

All my video content is streamed through the Shield TV

I do not own a DVD player.

Some of my go to videos for testing Dolby are:
All Dolby Test Videos

Ready Player One
Hacksaw Ridge
Fantastic Beasts and where to find them
Mad Max Fury Road
The Avengers
Incredible 2
The Polar Express
atfree and malinois1 like this.
post #2909 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I had left a 5 star review in amazon. I did purchase the 9.2 and genuinely believe it was good even prior to the update. Now everyone has their own expectations and considering the value I get out of this bar for the price paid , I believe it’s a great purchase.

In addition the support I get for the product is phenomenal

post #2910 of 5076 Old 02-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamikriss1427 View Post
I am planning to buy an oled TV, and I was wondering what’s people experience with their oled tv and the naka 9.2 bar. I am looking into the LG C8/E8 and the Sony A9F. I just want to know if anyone is having any issues with these models and the naka bar. Thanks in advance.

Naka dont support DD+/ Atmos over Arc , so my Lg c8 just output Dolby Digital for tv apps.

Apart from this there’s nothing major that I have noticed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
button* , nakamichi shockwafe , nakamichi soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page