post #31 of 182 Old 03-13-2018, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Self-Righteous View Post
Has anyone heard anything from these folk recently? They've had (by all accounts) a successful fund raising campaign and shipments due around this time.
No posts on their blog and all comments removed.
On 3/1 he sent a couple of pictures and some comments about the production models being improved, then finished with "Our production partner has all of the latest tweaks and is busy manufacturing our order."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 182 Old 03-14-2018, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
On 3/1 he sent a couple of pictures and some comments about the production models being improved, then finished with "Our production partner has all of the latest tweaks and is busy manufacturing our order."
I'm not invested in this, so have no cause to be concerned, but have been interested since Mark Waldrep first reported on it. I expect everything will be OK and shipments will start soon, with hopefully a full review to follow soon after.
post #33 of 182 Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Yarra 3D Soundbar is delayed by a few months. They're now expected to ship in June at least for Indiegogo backers.
Self-Righteous likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 182 Old 10-07-2018, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here it is in October and the only thing in 3D sound are the crickets. Does anybody have any inside information?

Geoff
Displacement. V8 power corrupts absolutely. But it ROCKS absolutely, too.
post #35 of 182 Old 02-23-2019, 06:34 AM

I’m intrigued by the beam forming technology and am willing to give the company the benefit of the doubt. Anyone interested in selling their Kickstarter or Indiegogo Yarra 3Dx, please send me a PM. I could have it shipped to either Canada or the USA, depending on what’s required by the pledge.

The floodgates are about to burst! Why can't I just build my theater without finding other things that need work?
post #36 of 182 Old 07-05-2019, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
YARRA is now shipping. Should have some reviews soon.
post #37 of 182 Old 07-05-2019, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Intriguing device I look forward to some hands on reviews.
post #38 of 182 Old 07-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

I’m a backer on IGG hope to hear some feedbacks from lucky few that already received the soundbar. KS has a few feedbacks that are very positive, the only negative seems to be device doesn’t work that well for multiple listeners mode.
post #39 of 182 Old 07-07-2019, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I’m also a baker but on KS and not so lucky to have received my YARRA 3DX yet. There might be one more drawback.

Based on what’s written on Mark Waldrep’s blog
https://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6311

the YARRA 3DX works with stereo PCM, multichannel Dolby Digital and multichannel APT X HD. MCH PCM is not possible because of limited processing capacity of the system. So, in order to experience surround sound, one should take into account only multichannel Dolby Digital and multichannel APT X HD files.

I think that Mark Waldrep included his Smyth Research A8 as part of the demonstration rig for Yarra 3DX just to overcome the limited processing capacity of the system. If one wants to play non-binaural recordings, those have to be in the form of stereo PCM, multichannel Dolby Digital or multichannel APT X HD files. Otherwise, some sort of device like Smyth Research A8, maybe better the long awaited A16, is needed.

5[KEF (4xR500, 1xR600c)].1[SVS (SB-2000)].4[SVS (4xPrime Elevation)]; Denon AVR-X4500H; OPPO BDP 103D; Cambridge Audio CXUHD; LG 55SJ850V
Meze 99 Classics; FiiO X5 III
Yarra 3DX
post #40 of 182 Old 07-07-2019, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I'm very happy for all of you who will apparently now receive your soundbars. I was pretty intrigued by it when it was announce, and felt bad when it appeared the whole thing went belly up, as the developers seemed sincere, and the technology appeared sound.

Can't wait for a review.
post #41 of 182 Old 07-07-2019, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gactm View Post
I’m also a baker but on KS and not so lucky to have received my YARRA 3DX yet. There might be one more drawback.

Based on what’s written on Mark Waldrep’s blog
https://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6311

the YARRA 3DX works with stereo PCM, multichannel Dolby Digital and multichannel APT X HD. MCH PCM is not possible because of limited processing capacity of the system. So, in order to experience surround sound, one should take into account only multichannel Dolby Digital and multichannel APT X HD files.

I think that Mark Waldrep included his Smyth Research A8 as part of the demonstration rig for Yarra 3DX just to overcome the limited processing capacity of the system. If one wants to play non-binaural recordings, those have to be in the form of stereo PCM, multichannel Dolby Digital or multichannel APT X HD files. Otherwise, some sort of device like Smyth Research A8, maybe better the long awaited A16, is needed.
What is MCH PCM? If I’m watching UHD lossless audio movie and my TV downstream to DD 5.1 Yarra can accept this sound right?
post #42 of 182 Old 07-07-2019, 04:19 PM

MCH PCM – multichannel pulse-code modulation, in other words uncompressed digital audio signal

Yarra can accept DD 5.1 signal provided your TV’s HDMI ARC and Yarra’s HDMI OUT (ARC) connectors are linked through an HDMI cable.
More information in Yarra3DXManual.
http://www.yarra3dx.com/support/

5[KEF (4xR500, 1xR600c)].1[SVS (SB-2000)].4[SVS (4xPrime Elevation)]; Denon AVR-X4500H; OPPO BDP 103D; Cambridge Audio CXUHD; LG 55SJ850V
Yarra 3DX
post #43 of 182 Old 07-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

In what situation one would use MCH PCM connection instead of downsample DD5.1? Maybe someone might connect UHD Blu-ray player HDMI output to Yarra HDMI Input?
post #44 of 182 Old 07-07-2019, 07:41 PM

Yes, you are right. Such situation might arrive when one wants to listen to multichannel music from DVD Audios, SACDs or Bluray Audios.

Yarra 3DX
post #45 of 182 Old 07-08-2019, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Still waiting for mine...
post #46 of 182 Old 07-08-2019, 09:58 AM

I am also waiting. I am in the US.

Shipping to US is by container ship and then Fedex.

Customers in other countries will/did receive theirs through Hong Kong Post.

US customers will be the last to receive the YARRA 3DX as ship to not reach port in Los Angeles until July 22.
post #47 of 182 Old 07-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax1d View Post
I am also waiting. I am in the US.

Shipping to US is by container ship and then Fedex.

Customers in other countries will/did receive theirs through Hong Kong Post.

US customers will be the last to receive the YARRA 3DX as ship to not reach port in Los Angeles until July 22.
Did you at least get Fedex tracking? I'm in california still no tracking info I guess they will come after 22nd.
post #48 of 182 Old 07-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Actually, I do have the Fedex tracking information for the YARRA 3DX. It is listed as PENDING as Fedex has not yet received the package.

From a post I made on Kickstarter about 2 weeks ago:

I did not get any email from Fedex regarding shipping like some others did, so I logged into my existing but somewhat dormant Fedex account and updated settings to get shipping info sent to me.
2 days later, still having received no info from Fedex, I logged in again and selected TRACKING and then ADVANCED SHIPPING TRACKING.
This resulted in my being able to see that Fedex had received LABEL CREATED info from Comhear on 6/12/2019

So I now the tracking number information.

Full From Address on LABEL is:
Comhear
DI-Comhear
SUITE A, 1651 CALIFORNIA ST
Redlands, CA US 92374
650 561-4800
post #49 of 182 Old 07-09-2019, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
In what situation one would use MCH PCM connection instead of downsample DD5.1? Maybe someone might connect UHD Blu-ray player HDMI output to Yarra HDMI Input?
Dolby Digital is lossy and limited to 5.1 channel config. PCM is uncompressed and therefore lossless and can also support higher than 5.1 channel configuration.

As previously mentioned by user gactm above, Mark Waldrep said only stereo was supported by the Yarra when it comes to PCM. However, this year, when Comhear resumed communications and fulfillment of their obligations, the final spec sheet sent out in backer updates listed “Multichannel PCM” in supported formats. Early reports from Yarra recipients are unclear as to whether multichannel PCM is working or not.

Re Multichannel PCM usage scenarios:

Most PC video games output surround natively from source in multichannel PCM rather than Dolby or DTS formats. Output connection from PC for Mutlichannel PCM would be USB or, if combined with the video signal, then DisplayPort, HDMI etc.

Also, as already mentioned Bluray and DVDs. Assuming that the Yarra does support 5.1 and 7.1 PCM (very much doubt it would support more channels than that), then if you had a DVD or Bluray using a format unsupported by the Yarra, a DTS format for example, then if your AV receiver or source device is able to natively decode that format in question, it could then output that to the Yarra and you would get the surround effect up to and including the limit of Yarra’s multichannel capabilities (presumably 7.1).

If on the other hand, the Yarra doesn’t support multichannel PCM and only supports stereo PCM then you would be stuck having to set your source device or receiver to 2 channel PCM for that content and the Yarra would have nothing more than that to work with and output - which would be pretty disappointing.

Another example would be content encoded in Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby True HD (neither are natively supported by Yarra). Both these formats are less lossy than standard Dolby Digital and support two extra channels (7.1 instead of 5.1). Now most such higher Dolby Formats include encoding for bog standard Dolby Digital anyway so you could probably just run that straight through the Yarra. But then you would only be giving it 5.1 channels of lossy audio to work with. On the other hand, if your AV receiver can decode the audio format into 7.1 pcm first and then send it to the Yarra, you would get those extra 2 channels back and the Yarra would have a 7.1 stream to work with and output that isn’t lossy.
post #50 of 182 Old 07-09-2019, 03:30 AM

I’m not sure whether or not it is possible to route multichannel digital audio signals from an AV receiver to Yarra 3DX. An AV receiver is supposed to be the last device prior to send decoded AV signals to TVs and speakers. I know that Oppo and Cambridge Audio bluray players can bitstream 5.1 and 7.1 PCM signals.
post #51 of 182 Old 07-09-2019, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I’m not sure whether or not it is possible to route multichannel digital audio signals from an AV receiver to Yarra 3DX. An AV receiver is supposed to be the last device prior to send decoded AV signals to TVs and speakers. I know that Oppo and Cambridge Audio bluray players can bitstream 5.1 and 7.1 PCM signals.
Very true, my bad, well caught.
I meant ‘Bluray Player’ (some Xbox and PS consoles would be suitable too) but had “AV receiver” stuck in my head for some reason.
I have heard of AV receivers with multiple HDMI outs to support connection to other amps and displays but whether or not that would work in this instance, I don’t know, your guess would probably be better than mine!
post #52 of 182 Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 AM

I received my Yarra 3DX after 13 days from the email sent by Comhear on June 28. At the end of this post I’ve attached some photos of my Yarra 3DX.

I think I need a bit more time in order to have an opinion on listening to music through this new device.

I cannot figure out yet whether or not multichannel PCM is played by Yarra. An AIX Records® demo DVD is in the box of Yarra. I’ve noticed that the demo files included are AC3, 48kHz, 16 bits and 6 channels. This finding strengthens for me the idea that playback of multichannel uncompressed digital audio files is not possible on Yarra 3DX.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	2589742   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	2589744   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	2589746   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	642.1 KB
ID:	2589748   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	605.0 KB
ID:	2589750  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	489.1 KB
ID:	2589752  
post #53 of 182 Old 07-11-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I received my Yarra 3DX after 13 days from the email sent by Comhear on June 28. At the end of this post I’ve attached some photos of my Yarra 3DX.

I think I need a bit more time in order to have an opinion on listening to music through this new device.

I cannot figure out yet whether or not multichannel PCM is played by Yarra. An AIX Records® demo DVD is in the box of Yarra. I’ve noticed that the demo files included are AC3, 48kHz, 16 bits and 6 channels. This finding strengthens for me the idea that playback of multichannel uncompressed digital audio files is not possible on Yarra 3DX.
From Mark Waldrep:

[Mark] The YARRA 3DX works with stereo PCM, multichannel Dolby Digital and multichannel APT X HD.
[somebody] And why to lossy Dolby Digital and not to lossless PCM, your and our favourite format?
[Mark] The system does a lot of processing and MCH PCM is not possible.

Also, I had a recent question answered by Mark:
[Me] Can you confirm that the Yarra 3DX will work with bitstream (Dolby) via Toslink? I’m using an Xbox One X as a source and it has only 2 options for the optical out (uncompressed stereo or bitstream (Dolby or DTS). Is bitstream (Dolby) the same as “AC3”?
[Mark] Yes, the original design planned for Dolby Digital (there is an internal decoder) and then binauralization prior to the beam forming speaker output. TOSlink is the connection.

Last edited by meiche; 07-11-2019 at 03:05 PM.
post #54 of 182 Old 07-12-2019, 07:32 AM
Kri

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
What is MCH PCM? If I’m watching UHD lossless audio movie and my TV downstream to DD 5.1 Yarra can accept this sound right?
Lossless mch audio movies usually have a lossy mch audio track (DD 5.1) too, so your Yarra will be satisfied. The question is - are YOU satisfied with the ultra low audio solution while watching ultra high definition video? If yes, good for you, Yarra 3DX is meant for you.
By the way, when TV audio definition is concerned, I've got an unbelievable information - the Dolby Atmos (HD, more than 7.1 channels) will have up to 750 kbps! For comparison - ordinary definition, 2 ch CD has 1400 kbps!
post #55 of 182 Old 07-12-2019, 07:46 AM
Kri

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, you are right. Such situation might arrive when one wants to listen to multichannel music from DVD Audios, SACDs or Bluray Audios.
Sorry, wrong answer. Mch pcm as a lossless format is better than lossy Dd 5.1 in ALL situations.
post #56 of 182 Old 07-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Kri

Quote:
Originally Posted by meiche View Post
From Mark Waldrep:

[Mark] The YARRA 3DX works with stereo PCM, multichannel Dolby Digital and multichannel APT X HD.
[somebody] And why to lossy Dolby Digital and not to lossless PCM, your and our favourite format?
[Mark] The system does a lot of processing and MCH PCM is not possible.
Our audio guru mentioned that unpleasant input limitations not before all of us sent our money and not before that 'somebody' (and that was me) asked him directly. So, it was not an information, but a result of a police-like lnterrogation. Who is interested in more details, there is a very informative (at least for the Yarra's 'theory' phase) Yarra thread on the Head-Fi forum (just enter 'head fi yarra' into Google).

By the way, APT X HD isn't HD format at all. It is also a lossy format.
atabesc likes this.

Last edited by Kri; 07-12-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #57 of 182 Old 07-13-2019, 10:30 AM

I’ve tested Yarra 3DX for music playback to some extent.

Prior to receiving the parcel with Yarra 3DX, I downloaded yarra3dx_setup file from the support site. Thursday, July 11, after picking up the parcel I went to my office, unpacked it and I connected one USB port on my laptop to the USB port on the back of the YARRA 3DX by using the supplied USB cable. The sound bar was detected in Yarra 3DX Panel Control and I noticed that a new firmware was available for downloading. The installation went smoothly.

The Panel Control allows for various settings such as the number of listeners (1, 2 or 3), near or far field (based on the distance the listener is from the soundbar), EQ, etc. In addition, the settings can be changed by using the remote control or YARRA 3DX app.

The first files sent to Yarra 3DX were binaural recordings taken from the Internet such as Virtual Barber Shop and Sound of Silence (3D binaural audio) - Simon and Garfunkel Cover - Jarvis Brothers. The immersive 3D surround sound effect was good mainly with the near field option. The alternative (far field) was less convincing. Also, non-binaural stereo music files (flac) were played seamlessly. I asked some of my colleagues in the office to listen to Yarra and their opinions were pretty similar.

After a few days, I resumed the tests with Yarra 3DX at home. The first trial was with Yarra connected to my laptop as described above. I played binaural recordings, both videos (3D binaural audio) and only audio files. This time the immersive 3D surround sound effect was stunning both in near field and far filed options.

As binaural recordings are intended for listening with headphones, I made a compare and contrast test. The same files were played from my Fiio X5 III player by using Meze 99 Classics headphones. Both Yarra and Meze 99 Classics offer impressive 3D surround sound effects from binaural recordings. However, the 3D surround sound effect of the headphones was somewhat confined inside my head. On the other hand, Yarra produced a totally different 3D surround sound effect. The sensation was that the sounds were somewhere above and around my head.

When I also played other non-binaural files (stereo music recordings) I had the sensation that music was heard not in front of Yarra’s speakers but the sounds were somewhere near my ears.

My second option for listening to music with Yarra 3DX was to use my OPPO 103D as a source. I connected one of the HDMI out port of OPPO to the HDMI in port on Yarra by using an HDMI cable. Another HDMI cable went from the HDMI out port of Yarra to one HDMI in port on my TV.

Under this setup, I also played the above-mentioned binaural files. This time I hadn’t that stunning 3D surround sound effect. I can’t figure out an explanation. From time to time there was intermittent or no audio from soundbar. Was that due to handshake issues between OPPO player and Yarra?

I also played the included AIX Records® demo DVD. The demo section consists of fine recordings made by Dr AIX. Most of the files are AC3, 48kHz, 16 bits and 6 channels, which can be decoded by Yarra’s Dolby decoder. The eighths led (from left to right) lights blue when an AC3 file is detected. The surround sound effect was not so impressive as for the binaural files. I sent some multichannel uncompressed digital audio files from OPPO player to Yarra. They were played back, but I couldn’t figure out whether the sound was stereo or surround.

So, these are my findings on listening to music with Yarra 3DX so far. I’m aware that these results are subjective and others can have different experience. I’d be glad to read other opinions here.
Kri likes this.

Yarra 3DX
post #58 of 182 Old 07-13-2019, 02:46 PM
Kri

Thank you, Gactm, for your elaborate review. I am mostly interested in lossless multichanel, so can you please say a little more about that. For example, what kind of files were played and what output setting did you set on the Oppo - pcm or bitstream?
And one additional general question - do you have control of whether the binauralisation function is on or off?
post #59 of 182 Old 07-13-2019, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
I am mostly interested in lossless multichanel
Windows 10 shows the supported sound format for Yarra is Dolby Digital only. But I could confuse it with capabilities of my TV, the TV is connected after the Yarra in a HDMI chain and I don't know which capabilities Windows shows.
There are no test sounds from the virtual speakers if I set some surround configuration (e.g. 4.0, 5.1, 7.1) in the Windows sound control panel. I'm afraid there is no support for multichannel formats other than stereo.
post #60 of 182 Old 07-14-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Thank you, Gactm, for your elaborate review. I am mostly interested in lossless multichanel, so can you please say a little more about that. For example, what kind of files were played and what output setting did you set on the Oppo - pcm or bitstream?
And one additional general question - do you have control of whether the binauralisation function is on or off?

I’m also interested in playing back lossless multichannel music. For my tests with Yarra 3DX, I’ve downloaded some samples from 2l.no site (Morten Lindberg’s productions).
http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

There’re various formats of the same recording, which I think it’s important for a compare and contrast test. For example, one interesting sample I’ve downloaded:

Mozart: Violin concerto in D major – Allegro, Marianne Thorsen / TrondheimSolistene
a) original CD, 16BIT/44kHz
b) stereo, 24BIT/96kHz
c) 5.1 Surround, 24BIT/96kHz

In addition, I have played back some of Mark Waldrep’s productions (DVD-Audios).

I used bitstream for HDMI Audio output on my OPPO 103D player as it had been set up previously. a) sample was played back seamlessly. For b) sample the sound was somewhat distorted and more and more distorted for c).

When I played some of Mark Waldrep’s DVD-Audios, e.g., Mixtures I: A Classical Surround Sampler, group 3 Dolby 5.1 “Audience”, the eighths led (from left to right) lighted blue, which meant that the internal Dolby decoder was on. It was interesting that for group 1 MLP 5.1 “Audience” I got sound, no blue light was on. I cannot figure out what kind of digital audio processing might have occurred inside Yarra.

Also, when I played back an SACD (Morten Lindberg’s productions) there was no sound unless I switched the setting for SACD output from DSD to PCM.

I tried to playback a 5.1 DTS HD MA 24/192 recording from a blu-ray audio (also Morten Lindberg’s productions) with Yarra 3DX. The result was very distorted and metallic sound. To fix that issue I had to turn Yarra off and on again. I’m not quite sure that my Yarra 3DX “recovered” from that attempt.

To the best of my knowledge, I don’t think that one user might have control of whether the binauralisation function is on or off.

So, to conclude, I remember that Mark Waldrep (aka as Dr AIX) wrote on his blog that listeners looked over their shoulders to see if he had placed surround speakers in the corners. I hadn’t the sensation that surround speakers were behind me when I listened to multichannel music recordings with Yarra 3DX. I’m aware that it’s not quite proper to compare Yarra 3DX with a carefully designed 5.1 speaker setup.
Kri likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page