11Likes

post #151 of 171 Old 08-08-2019, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Kiritz View Post
..... I already own the Smyth Realiser A8 and have an A16 on order. The Smyth system is terrific, except for the fact that you have to wear a headset. So the idea of immersive surround without mutliple speakers or headset was appealing.....
I dare to ask you to test Yarra 3DX in conjunction with your Smyth Realiser A8 in order to see whether or not Yarra 3DX can replace the need of wearing headphones. That approach was used by Mark Waldrep (aka Dr AIX) as he wrote:

“I demoed the YARRA 3DX at the LA Audio Show using my Smyth A8 as the binauralizer. The sound bar took the analog binaural output from the Symth box and delivered left and right discrete audio signals (minimal crosstalk) to listeners. What's cool about the Smyth box is the ability to "solo" the individual virtual speakers.”

5[KEF (4xR500, 1xR600c)].1[SVS (SB-2000)].4[SVS (4xPrime Elevation)]; Denon AVR-X4500H; OPPO BDP 103D; Cambridge Audio CXUHD; LG 55SJ850V
Meze 99 Classics; FiiO X5 III
Yarra 3DX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 171 Old 08-08-2019, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hmnnn. That's an interesting idea! I will try to output from my Smyth Realiser to the Yarra as soon as I get a chance.
post #153 of 171 Old 08-08-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked: 626
I just got this from Comhear. Not sure why they think this is going to fix the multi-channel PCM issue, given the list of fixes they listed.

We just updated the firmware to 1.2.18.366 and it addresses the following issues.

Improved Dolby locking so that signal is not lost permanently.
Added support for disabling auto power-off.
Tightened Energy Star poweroff requirements to prevent false positives.
Auto power-off now disabled by default.

Try updating and see if that fixes your problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 171 Old 08-08-2019, 10:37 PM

They haven’t just updated the firmware. Actually, the new firmware 1.2.18.366 was available a few days ago. I can’t understand why they don’t post change log files through their support page. Nevertheless, it’s good they send email messages about those changes.

5[KEF (4xR500, 1xR600c)].1[SVS (SB-2000)].4[SVS (4xPrime Elevation)]; Denon AVR-X4500H; OPPO BDP 103D; Cambridge Audio CXUHD; LG 55SJ850V
Yarra 3DX
post #155 of 171 Old 08-09-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After almost a week.
Plus, I bet it doesn't fix the multi-channel PCM issue.
post #156 of 171 Old 08-09-2019, 12:02 PM

One baker at kickstarter site reported that it is possible to check the change log through Comhear Yarra 3DX Configuration (Windows 10 app). Just click on the version link.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Changelog.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	2601086  

Yarra 3DX
post #157 of 171 Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, two days ago (Sunday, 8/11) mine worked great on all Dolby material. Last night, after zero changes to anything in the chain, it kept cutting out. It was so bad that we had to disconnect it again to watch our show.
post #158 of 171 Old 08-13-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have futzed around with this since aug 2. I have yet to have a solid consistent experience with the device. I'm disappointed. Back into the box it goes for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #159 of 171 Old 08-14-2019, 07:58 PM

New firmware available, version 1.2.19.368. It’s about modifications to support recovery after a failed firmware download.

Configuration utility unchanged, version 1.0.25.0.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New.firmware.ver.1.2.19.368.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	2603066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Configuration utility version 1.0.25.0 unchanged.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	2603068  

Yarra 3DX
post #160 of 171 Old 08-15-2019, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Multiple Yarras With One iSlab

I recently received my 2 Yarras only to find out that the Yarra app is not compatible with my existing iPad Mini (Orig used for) since it needs iOS or higher.

Does anyone know if the more than one Yarra can be configured with a single Apple device?
Maybe using the PRESET 1, 2, 3?
Not interested in having 2 Apple devices as controllers.

On another subject, I appreciate the recommendations being made re configuration to optimize sound quality. Thanks.
post #161 of 171 Old 08-15-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can't set up the soundfields without a tablet or smart phone. Once that's done, you really don't need it anymore as a remote, but the last firmware update removed my settings so you may need it to set it up again. Find a cheap tablet somewhere, such as a refurb Amazon Fire, or use your phone?
post #162 of 171 Old 08-15-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
You can't set up the soundfields without a tablet or smart phone. Once that's done, you really don't need it anymore as a remote, but the last firmware update removed my settings so you may need it to set it up again. Find a cheap tablet somewhere, such as a refurb Amazon Fire, or use your phone?

I understand that an Apple (or Android) device is needed to configure the Yarra. I was planning to use my Mini but it will not run iOS 11. I have the latest gen Mini on order to use for configuration. There are few inexpensive devices that are iOS 11 capable unless you are willing to settle for a "beater".

If I configure the first Yarra can I then use the same Apple device to configure the second Yarra? I assume that the configuring device must somehow be linked to the Yarra...but did not know if a second link could be created. I am thinking that once once a device is paired with the Yarra then it needs to be unpaired to allow pairing with another device, e.g., 2nd Yarra.

Please understand that my only prior experience with using Apple or other device for this purpose is using my original Mini to run JRiver Media Center.
post #163 of 171 Old 08-15-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBimmer View Post
There are few inexpensive devices that are iOS 11 capable unless you are willing to settle for a "beater".
Amazon Fire 7" is only $49, and commonly goes on sale much cheaper than that, not even including refurb prices.They get so cheap sometimes that they could be considered disposable.

I'm not a fan, but the new iPad is (or was) only $249. And no, I'm not bashing Apple, I've had an iPhone since the 3G model.

Last edited by TornadoTJ; 08-15-2019 at 09:25 AM.
post #164 of 171 Old 08-15-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Amazon Fire 7" is only $49, and commonly goes on sale much cheaper than that, not even including refurb prices.They get so cheap sometimes that they could be considered disposable.

I'm not a fan, but the new iPad is (or was) only $249. And no, I'm not bashing Apple, I've had an iPhone since the 3G model.

How do you/we know if a particular Amazon Fire which runs its own OS will function with the Yarra Android app?

It took me a while to even find out which iOS the Apple device needed to be capable of.
post #165 of 171 Old 08-15-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do you/we know if a particular Amazon Fire which runs its own OS will function with the Yarra Android app?
Fire OS is Android.

Here's mine running it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3830.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	2603244  
post #166 of 171 Old 08-16-2019, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
It also is not currently possible to change the field from surround back to stereo without use of one of the apps. The near / far field buttons on the remote automatically engage surround whatever your previous setting was. If however you want to change from surrround to stereo, you need an app.
Also, the remote lacks a button for the ‘normal’ content mode.

Last edited by Sanctuary001; 08-16-2019 at 06:19 AM.
post #167 of 171 Old 08-16-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
I understand that an Apple (or Android) device is needed to configure the Yarra. I was planning to use my Mini but it will not run iOS 11. I have the latest gen Mini on order to use for configuration. There are few inexpensive devices that are iOS 11 capable unless you are willing to settle for a "beater".

If I configure the first Yarra can I then use the same Apple device to configure the second Yarra? I assume that the configuring device must somehow be linked to the Yarra...but did not know if a second link could be created. I am thinking that once once a device is paired with the Yarra then it needs to be unpaired to allow pairing with another device, e.g., 2nd Yarra.

Please understand that my only prior experience with using Apple or other device for this purpose is using my original Mini to run JRiver Media Center.
I would recommend Android over IOS if Yarra interface is the only use case . I have trouble getting some settings to stick with the app on IPAD. I don’t have nearly as many problems using my Android phone. Also as others have pointed out, Android would be much cheaper too.
post #168 of 171 Old 08-16-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:

TornadoTJ, appreciate the recommendation of Amazon Fire as an alternative to Apple device.

Are there any audio specifications for the Yarra soundbar and sub, e.g., Frequency Response, amplification power, size of drivers, etc.
Seems to be a considerable lack of useful information including what is in the User Guide.
post #169 of 171 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary001 View Post
It also is not currently possible to change the field from surround back to stereo without use of one of the apps. The near / far field buttons on the remote automatically engage surround whatever your previous setting was. If however you want to change from surrround to stereo, you need an app.
Also, the remote lacks a button for the ‘normal’ content mode.

Good to know that the remote defaults to surround when switching between near/far.

Is this also true if the button on the bottom left end cap is used?
post #170 of 171 Old Today, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Good to know that the remote defaults to surround when switching between near/far.

Is this also true if the button on the bottom left end cap is used?
Dunno, probably. Try it with one of the apps open and you should see it change in real-time if it does indeed change.
post #171 of 171 Old Today, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary001 View Post
Dunno, probably. Try it with one of the apps open and you should see it change in real-time if it does indeed change.

Yeah, good thought.

Noticed that need to revisit control panel settings when starting up since parameters such as STEREO/SURROUND revert back to SURROUND which must be default. Reset all and am trying PRESETS to see if that holds choices.

Started to tinker with EQ and found this article pretty good for describing Frequency Spectrum and impact of boosts at various frequencies...

<https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum/>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page