post #211 of 238 Old 09-02-2019, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
EQ settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary001 View Post
I see you were’t joking. Fair enough, my bad. Btw are you still using that EQ config after recording measurements soon after you got the unit?

Thanks
Sure! But I am using the Equalizer APO instead of the built-in EQ. Its band are narrower and it's also better when updating the unit. And I am using the Yarra on my desk only with USB.

The attached config file is my actual EQ setting for APO ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ ), incl. the stereo field compensation for more natural sound. I have put in some variants for that, for some music I like the spatialization effect, for others I don't.
Attached Files
File Type: txt config.txt (883 Bytes, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 238 Old 09-02-2019, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanthebass View Post
Sure! But I am using the Equalizer APO instead of the built-in EQ. Its band are narrower and it's also better when updating the unit. And I am using the Yarra on my desk only with USB.

The attached config file is my actual EQ setting for APO ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ ), incl. the stereo field compensation for more natural sound. I have put in some variants for that, for some music I like the spatialization effect, for others I don't.
Thanks! I will probably stick to the Yarra’s EQ for now as I am mostly using it with consoles for gaming and movies. I haven’t used it with PC except to update the firmware as I found PCM quality to be terrible through HDMI and USB (although admittedly haven’t tested for a while) and I haven’t got round to getting an optical capable long enough to reach from my PC to where the Yarra is installed which is what would be required for me to get Dolby digital out of my sound card.
post #213 of 238 Old 09-02-2019, 03:42 AM

Really?!
I love the audio quality using USB, I am streaming a lot of music from Amazon and so far I am really, really satisfied.
But I am not really having an alternative for this. I don't have a multichannel soundcard and no optical out and my notebook doesn't even have an hdmi port, only a display port (DP).
Any recommendation for an external soundcard with multichannel support?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 238 Old 09-02-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Really?!
I love the audio quality using USB, I am streaming a lot of music from Amazon and so far I am really, really satisfied.
But I am not really having an alternative for this. I don't have a multichannel soundcard and no optical out and my notebook doesn't even have an hdmi port, only a display port (DP).
Any recommendation for an external soundcard with multichannel support?
I have tried USB from both a desktop and a Windows Surface 2017 and on each I get metallic distortion on stereo PCM like robotic filter auto-tune on ****ty pop songs. It seems to be worst when silence on an audio track is broken by a new sample or sequence, if that makes sense, it starts off terrible then gets better till a lull then repeats the process.

As for external sound card recommendations, I’m hesitant as I’m not sure they would do much for you given the limitations on output connections of your laptop. There are plenty of cards that offer Dolby Digital *decoding* over optical but they need the content to be encoded in DD5.1 in the first place and they all are limited to PCM over USB. Also they can only decode Dolby Digital as per the limitations of optical , not Dolby Digital Plus which is the container stream Windows audio uses for all Dolby content IIRC (even Atmos) and is limited to HDMI (not sure if it can be passed over USB, but for most devices I think not).

So, I am not sure whether you’d be able to transmit Dolby Digital 5.1 to an external sound card over USB and, if so, I’m not sure whether you could limit it to vanilla DD5.1 on the PC side or expect the soundcard to extract vanilla DD 5.1 from a higher format such as DD5.1 plus.
post #215 of 238 Old 09-03-2019, 01:56 AM

USB Audio Quality and Multiuser

Wow, robotic sounds and dropouts is something I never ever experienced using USB. I just connect the Yarra, change the default soundcard to "Speakers (Comhear MyBeam)" and play my music. Works flawless.

As I normally use the computer for music only, this is a useful minimalistic setup. And this is also the reason why I hesitate to spend money on extra hardware. If you look at the signal path USB is quite optimal, the digital signal is transferred 1:1 to the Yarra, no processing whatever.

---

Differnt topic: I like to start a new discussion on the multi listener topic:

When I received the Yarra 2 months ago my first reaction regarding the 2 or 3 listener mode was, that I don't like the sound. I was very careful on the KS comment page, as I was not sure about possible configuration errors.
Well, 2 months and some FW upgrades later I still don't like the way the sound changes when I switch to 2 listeners. The sound becomes a lot less powerful, thin and hollow. The soundstage collapses.

What are your experiences? Do you have any hints? Is this a problem of the near-field mode? Is it a problem that I am sitting too near to the Yarra (60-80cm)?
post #216 of 238 Old 09-03-2019, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
As I wrote in my previous post #177, I’m using my Yarra 3DX connected to a laptop via USB cable mainly for listening to binaural music. As HDMI connection is still buggy I’m avoiding it.

In my post #192, I described a comparison between listening to music through my KEF R500 speakers and Yarra 3DX. The sound was not the same but I couldn’t notice distortions with Yarra 3DX. I dare to say it was reasonable quality sound out of stereo PCM from my laptop via USB. Previously, when I used HDMI connection, for a stereo 24 bit/96 kHz PCM sample, the sound was somewhat distorted.

With respect to multiuser approach, after picking up the parcel I went to my office, unpacked the sound bar and I connected one USB port on my laptop to the USB port on the back of the YARRA 3DX by using the supplied USB cable. Together with some of my colleagues, we tested one, two and three listener modes, mainly for far-field setup. Pretty similar with your finding, switching to two or three listener modes altered the sound; it was less powerful and the immersive 3D surround effect was less noticed.

5[KEF (4xR500, 1xR600c)].1[SVS (SB-2000)].4[SVS (4xPrime Elevation)]; Marantz SR7013; OPPO BDP 103D; Cambridge Audio CXUHD; M9702; LG 55SJ850V
Meze 99 Classics; FiiO X5 III
Yarra 3DX
post #217 of 238 Old 09-08-2019, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yarra 3DX Soundbar

Hello All,

I have a couple of questions. For the moment, I am restricted to using the Yarra with my computer, until I move some things around and get access to my disc player source or TV. So far, I have found the binaural clips available online to be interesting. There definitely is a surround immersive effect. But as you know, there is not all that much out there to listen to. So I have two questions 1) Is there any way to get my newish Imac to play the dolby digital surround files that are apparently the only way to hear surround through the Yarra? 2) If the answer to #1 is yes, are there fiiles somewhere online I can download or stream through the Mac to listen to? At some point I'll move things around and be able to use my Oppo or TV as a source for audio, but this is going to take some arranging. In the meantime, I am curious how the Yarra works with surround material, not just binaural.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, including suggestions for an external sound card if that would help. The new Imacs don't have HDMI, so I would need something that works via my USB or earphone/optical port.
post #218 of 238 Old 09-08-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Kiritz View Post
I have a couple of questions......
Firstly, I think you (we) need to wait (I hope not so long) the promised firmware update as reported by @TornadoTJ in his post #188. It seems that Comhear is trying to solve the multi-channel PCM issue.

Have you got the chance to output from your Smyth Realiser to Yarra 3DX, as you wrote in your post #152?

5[KEF (4xR500, 1xR600c)].1[SVS (SB-2000)].4[SVS (4xPrime Elevation)]; Marantz SR7013; OPPO BDP 103D; Cambridge Audio CXUHD; M9702; LG 55SJ850V
Yarra 3DX
post #219 of 238 Old 09-08-2019, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yarra 3DX Soundbar

Yes, I will wait until the PCM functionality is in place. Regarding the Smyth Realiser, I have not done this yet. I think there might be a similar issue re dolby digital vs PCM. Once PCM is a possibility with the Yarra I'll have more options, I think.
post #220 of 238 Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
I'm surprised they are continuing these updates. I figured this was going to be a dead product once the Kickstarter stuff got shipped.

Still cutting in and out on YouTube, I did not test anything else.

I just got this from support in regards to the multi-channel PCM issue:
We have several reports of this issue and are working on a firmware update that will be released very soon. Please keep an eye on the support page http://www.yarra3dx.com/support/ for the announcement about the new firmware update. We anticipate it will be ready within 10 days.
10 days have come and gone...
post #221 of 238 Old 09-12-2019, 02:08 AM

Maybe it's a big one!
post #222 of 238 Old 09-12-2019, 06:14 PM

I’m not sure whether or not a configuration utility update was always in connection with a firmware update. There’s a new version for the Configuration utility: 1.1.4.0. Will there be a firmware upgrade coming pretty soon?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Configuration utility version 1.1.4.0.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2614484  

Yarra 3DX
post #223 of 238 Old 09-13-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, there was supposed to be an update days ago.
post #224 of 238 Old 09-17-2019, 07:34 PM

Comhear has posted an announcement about the new firmware update at kickstarter site. The firmware version is 1.2.23.374. As I am not at home I cannot write more about the changes in the new firmware. I look forward to reading about positive findings related to this new firmware version.

Yarra 3DX
post #225 of 238 Old 09-17-2019, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Comhear working on Yarra crashing with DD input (on optical)

Just got this response from Comhear support regarding the Yarra crashing randomly when fed a Dolby Digital source on optical:

The engineering team is in process of reproducing this malfunction as it is necessary to understand where and why the Dolby Digital crash occurs after an unspecified amount of time.
There is a workaround for this issue to avoid crashes: Change the output of the audio source from ‘Dolby Digital’ to ‘Stereo/PCM/2.0’
Changing the source to Stereo will still produce immersive 3D sound with our patented Binaural algorithm.
A firmware update will be provided as soon as the Dolby Digital data stream error is identified.
We appreciate your understanding and patience with this matter.
post #226 of 238 Old 09-20-2019, 01:46 AM

2 listeners not as bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gactm View Post
With respect to multiuser approach, after picking up the parcel I went to my office, unpacked the sound bar and I connected one USB port on my laptop to the USB port on the back of the YARRA 3DX by using the supplied USB cable. Together with some of my colleagues, we tested one, two and three listener modes, mainly for far-field setup. Pretty similar with your finding, switching to two or three listener modes altered the sound; it was less powerful and the immersive 3D surround effect was less noticed.
In the meantime I did some more experiments with the multi-listener mode and I have to say there is a huge difference between the near-field and the far-field mode. As I wrote in near-field mode the result is abysmal, the frequency response is weird and the sound stage collapses.
But in my setup in the living room it actually works pretty well! Here I use far-field. The room is rectangular with the TV in the center of one of the narrow sides, the sofa is located around 10ft away, with no wall behind it (so no early reflections). The money seat is of course straight in front of the TV, here I set the first listening spot.
On activating the second listener, the sound in center only changes a little bit. The seconds listener gets a sound image that is not as good as in the center, but still very good. At least as good as with any other sound bar.

So in my opinion multi-listener is usable, but only in far-field. Maybe this is also the main use-case, because for typical near-field (in front of computer) you don't really need it.

But there is one more thing! The sound beam positioning needs to be improved especially for far-field. Currently it only works in steps of around 20 degrees (when shifting the hear in the app I get 9 sound changes for the 180 degrees indicated). 20 degrees at a distance of 10ft are around 3-4ft. Too much! 3-4 ft is more than the width of a listening position (or sofa seat).
post #227 of 238 Old 09-27-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Wow, robotic sounds and dropouts is something I never ever experienced using USB. I just connect the Yarra, change the default soundcard to "Speakers (Comhear MyBeam)" and play my music. Works flawless.

As I normally use the computer for music only, this is a useful minimalistic setup. And this is also the reason why I hesitate to spend money on extra hardware. If you look at the signal path USB is quite optimal, the digital signal is transferred 1:1 to the Yarra, no processing whatever.
Yes but then the Yarra’s DSP still needs to be applied in any case. Have you not tried the Yarra with a Dolby source (TV ARC / optical out or a DVD / Blu-ray player / Games console) out of curiosity, just to compare how the Yarra processes Dolby vs PCM and how it sounds?

In any case, I have ‘t Tried the latest firmware yet and probably won’t for a while as the Yarra is packed away but should multichannel PCM support never arrive or never be adequately implemented then this is a just released usb external sound card that would give you both multichannel capability and Dolby digital encoding for output to the Yarra via optical.

https://uk.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-x3
post #228 of 238 Old 09-27-2019, 06:33 AM

Thanks!

Well, the SoundBlaster X3 looks promising, thanks for the info.

I actually have 2 Yarra 3DX. The one I use most is the one connected to the PC and I really love it. Just now I am listening to the album "Riding with the King" by Eric Clapton and BB King and it's just wow! Like being in the room with the guys, Eric a bit to the the left of the soundbar, BB to the right, the piano playing 90° to my right.

My other one is connected to my TV. I am using the optical connection for sound and the HDMI ARC for CEC. So far it works fine.
With my DVD player the center channel wa a bit weak, but this should be ok with the latest upgrade. But I have not tested it so far.
The Dolby LED is on most of the time, for most TV programs and also for streaming content from Amazon Prime Video.
The sound is full (with the EQ applied) , the soundstage is wide. I did not experience any problems using this setup either.

But...
...don't ask me, what audio format is used. My TV doesn't show it, I don't know where to look it up. I think it would be very helpful if that information would be displayed in the Yarra App!
post #229 of 238 Old 10-02-2019, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi folks. I’m new here. My Yarra has been updated to the latest FW 1.2.23.374 released 2 weeks ago. I have an Oppo UDP-203 connected via HDMI. The Yarra plays Dolby 5.1 audio from Bluray/dvd in Surround mode but does not reproduce 5.1 PCM from SACD multi-channel discs or Bluray/dvd DTS 5.1. The “best” it will do is to use the internal Surround algorithm to imitate 5.1. This results in an unacceptable reproduction of the original 5.1 mix. I have tested this thoroughly. Hoping the FW fix for PCM 5.1 is not too far away. Cheers.
post #230 of 238 Old 10-03-2019, 02:58 AM

Update 1.2.24.375

Hi all. Just updated the FW to 1.2.24.375. I repeated the same tests as with previous FW. Oppo audio output set to PCM. Dolby 5.1 works in Surround mode but SACD & DTS 5.1 music while clearly audible in Surround mode has an obviously strange mix so the PCM issue has not been resolved yet. ☹️
post #231 of 238 Old 10-03-2019, 05:09 AM

As I was not at home for a while, I couldn't update my Yarra 3DX. The lastly installed firmware version for me was 1.2.21.372. At present, the firmware version 1.2.24.375 is available. I’ve installed this new firmware version and I’m going to carry out some tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreLe View Post
....Oppo audio output set to PCM. Dolby 5.1 works in Surround mode but SACD & DTS 5.1 music while clearly audible........
I’m a bit confused. If you set Oppo audio output to PCM, then you couldn’t get Dolby 5.1. Most probably, your test with Dolby 5.1 was carried out by setting Oppo audio output to bitstream and for the following tests with SACD & DTS 5.1 music, you changed the output to PCM. Can you please comment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New.firmware.ver.1.2.24.375.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	2623016  

Yarra 3DX
post #232 of 238 Old 10-03-2019, 06:30 AM

Hi

The HDMI audio output setting is Bitstream in all scenarios:
1. definitely reproduces Dolby 5.1 audio from Bluray/dvd in Surround mode (The Yarra Dolby light comes on!)
2. does not reproduce 5.1 audio from SACD multichannel discs when the Oppo SACD output is set to PCM
3. does not reproduce 5.1 audio from Bluray/dvd DTS 5.1 discs

I hope this is clearer.
Cheers
post #233 of 238 Old 10-03-2019, 12:21 PM

From the few comments from users I have seen on various forums, it’s apparent that the supposed “multichannel PCM fix” in recent firmware updates has not fixed anything. . . at least as far as HDMI goes as that is the only connection I have seen mentioned in said comments. Has anyone tried multichannel PCM via USB from PC recently? Last time I tried it was a no-go but that was a couple of months ago. At present my Yarra is packed away due to refurbishment and PC is currently sent away for upgrade so won’t be able to test myself for a while.
post #234 of 238 Old 10-06-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary001 View Post
From the few comments from users I have seen on various forums, it’s apparent that the supposed “multichannel PCM fix” in recent firmware updates has not fixed anything. . . .
As far as I know, there's been no fix released.
post #235 of 238 Old 11-14-2019, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
New owner here. Couple questions that I’m hoping I can get answers to.

1) is there a way to check the firm ware version level from the iPhone/iPad app?
2) what does head position 1-9 do? I don’t hear anything different selecting any of them.
3) I’m using hdmi from my Apple TV 4K to hdmi on the yarra, then hdmi arc to the tv. What audio settings are people using to get the best results from the Apple TV?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #236 of 238 Old 11-14-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows556 View Post
New owner here. Couple questions that I’m hoping I can get

1)what does head position 1-9 do? I don’t hear anything different selecting any of them.
2)I’m using hdmi from my Apple TV 4K to hdmi on the yarra, then hdmi arc to the tv. What audio settings are people using to get the best results from the Apple TV?

Ok after reading the thread more looks like the iOS app doesn’t show firm ware

post #237 of 238 Old 11-17-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows556 View Post
New owner here. Couple questions that I’m hoping I can get answers to.

1) is there a way to check the firm ware version level from the iPhone/iPad app?
2) what does head position 1-9 do? I don’t hear anything different selecting any of them.
3) I’m using hdmi from my Apple TV 4K to hdmi on the yarra, then hdmi arc to the tv. What audio settings are people using to get the best results from the Apple TV?

1-9 refers to different HRTF models (I.e. different sized / proportioned dummy heads although there is currently no info as to the differences in measurements). They may also have some added features turned on/off depending on the HRTF model (based on campaign consultant Mark Waldrep’s description of the beta unit’s various various surround processing configuration modes).

When I first tried them couldnKt hear much difference between them but once I started trying various content there were some quite noticeable differences.
post #238 of 238 Old 12-05-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know how old the update was, but I did the latest one yesterday and this thing is still pretty worthless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page