Happy campers with their HW-MS650? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By markc72

post #1 of 15 Old 10-13-2017, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so i was thinking about the HW-KD850 but then I found out Atmos via Arc doesnt work and most of my viewing will be Netflix and regular tv.

Then I thought, do I really need atmos? Probably not.
Just want better sound than what my Sony XE-90 is producing. And also, I dont have an UHD player (yet), so I dont have access to atmos sources, and honestly I?m an absolute noob when it comes to all the dolby and dts codecs.

So plan was to get the Bose Soundtouch 300. Listened to it at the store, but u really need the sub and I?m not going to spend that much.

So I just read some reviews about the MS650 and all were pretty positive AND price is below 500 ? so that?s a plus!

So would this samsung bar be what I need? It has bluetooth, wireless streaming, ARC, 4k/HDR passthrough AND u dont need a sub if you?re not too picky .
One hdmi in is poor, but at least there?s arc right.

So, anyone that has one and would like to share how they like it?

Also, if Anyone has other recommendations, I want to hear it

Currently I?m using my Bose soundlink II mini via bluetooth with the TV and That is already a major improvement!

Thanks!

Last edited by Solohead; 10-13-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-14-2017, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solohead View Post
Ok so i was thinking about the HW-KD850 but then I found out Atmos via Arc doesnt work and most of my viewing will be Netflix and regular tv.

Then I thought, do I really need atmos? Probably not.
Just want better sound than what my Sony XE-90 is producing. And also, I dont have an UHD player (yet), so I dont have access to atmos sources, and honestly I?m an absolute noob when it comes to all the dolby and dts codecs.

So plan was to get the Bose Soundtouch 300. Listened to it at the store, but u really need the sub and I?m not going to spend that much.

So I just read some reviews about the MS650 and all were pretty positive AND price is below 500 ? so that?s a plus!

So would this samsung bar be what I need? It has bluetooth, wireless streaming, ARC, 4k/HDR passthrough AND u dont need a sub if you?re not too picky .
One hdmi in is poor, but at least there?s arc right.

So, anyone that has one and would like to share how they like it?

Also, if Anyone has other recommendations, I want to hear it

Currently I?m using my Bose soundlink II mini via bluetooth with the TV and That is already a major improvement!

Thanks!
I have both SoundBars and they are both amazing, for what you want the MS650 is amazing, it doesnt decode the newer codecs but if your not too picky it wont matter because the MS650 is amazing for both movies and music it really is impressive. The only thing about the MS650 is it does go down to 37 hz and the bass is good but not great, so if your a bass hound it might not completely scratch the itch so to speak they do have the separate sub(SW700) which I also have, which is a beast for bass but its also a little expensive. I also have the K850 it came with a subwoofer(sub sounds good gets a little boomy if you dont place it correctly) this soundbar is amazing for atmos if you have the capability of providing those signals to and for the K850, now for other sources its not as impressive and doesnt increase lower codecs like the MS650 does. If you have the means I would try to demo both SoundBars, If you like to be surprised by sound both have that dynamic punch, but the 850 really does deliver but only for Atmos soundtracks, the MS650 for everything else great for marathon watching and video gaming.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-16-2017, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cuellar View Post
I have both SoundBars and they are both amazing, for what you want the MS650 is amazing, it doesnt decode the newer codecs but if your not too picky it wont matter because the MS650 is amazing for both movies and music it really is impressive. The only thing about the MS650 is it does go down to 37 hz and the bass is good but not great, so if your a bass hound it might not completely scratch the itch so to speak they do have the separate sub(SW700) which I also have, which is a beast for bass but its also a little expensive. I also have the K850 it came with a subwoofer(sub sounds good gets a little boomy if you dont place it correctly) this soundbar is amazing for atmos if you have the capability of providing those signals to and for the K850, now for other sources its not as impressive and doesnt increase lower codecs like the MS650 does. If you have the means I would try to demo both SoundBars, If you like to be surprised by sound both have that dynamic punch, but the 850 really does deliver but only for Atmos soundtracks, the MS650 for everything else great for marathon watching and video gaming.
Another question,

I?ll be mounting my sony XE90 to a TV mount swivel. Mounting the Atmos K850 underneath is, is not really an option, but won?t be an issue with the MS650.

If I were to just put the Atmos bar on the tv stand, under the TV, and the swivel mount is completely extended, and is hanging above, or beyond the 850, will the Atmos topspeakers not hit the back of the TV, and thus loose the effect of it?

Here is the design of our livingroom that will hopefully be completed by the end of the month.

As you can see, you need to extend the swivel,, so people in the right sofa can have a good view of the TV. But if you leave the atmos bar on the shelf, won?t the audio be weird ?

Because if I were to get the 650 and the sub, it?ll cost more than the 850 that comes with the sub included (and next week I get a free UHD blu-ray player with it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-16-2017, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Another question,

I?ll be mounting my sony XE90 to a TV mount swivel. Mounting the Atmos K850 underneath is, is not really an option, but won?t be an issue with the MS650.

If I were to just put the Atmos bar on the tv stand, under the TV, and the swivel mount is completely extended, and is hanging above, or beyond the 850, will the Atmos topspeakers not hit the back of the TV, and thus loose the effect of it?

Here is the design of our livingroom that will hopefully be completed by the end of the month.

As you can see, you need to extend the swivel,, so people in the right sofa can have a good view of the TV. But if you leave the atmos bar on the shelf, won?t the audio be weird ?

Because if I were to get the 650 and the sub, it?ll cost more than the 850 that comes with the sub included (and next week I get a free UHD blu-ray player with it).
The sound spread is more than 90 Degrees, with the MS650 so you dont have to angle it. The MS650 is probably the best bang for the buck of all the current Samsung line of SoundBars, it is a little bright in presentation. I listen to the K850 more so than the MS650, the upfiring speakers really brings more "soundstage" to the presentation. You mentioned you will have a UHD player soon, with Atmos you're mostly like not going to want to listen to anything else after that lol, trust me plus it upmixes all other dolby sources for you into an Atmos signal on the K850 and you get the sub with the system.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-27-2017, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cuellar View Post
The sound spread is more than 90 Degrees, with the MS650 so you dont have to angle it. The MS650 is probably the best bang for the buck of all the current Samsung line of SoundBars, it is a little bright in presentation. I listen to the K850 more so than the MS650, the upfiring speakers really brings more "soundstage" to the presentation. You mentioned you will have a UHD player soon, with Atmos you're mostly like not going to want to listen to anything else after that lol, trust me plus it upmixes all other dolby sources for you into an Atmos signal on the K850 and you get the sub with the system.
Got the MS650. Sounds like a winner to me!
post #6 of 15 Old 06-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I have recently bought MS650. I heard MS750 at one shop but could not hear MS650 but after reading the reviews, I decided to buy as almost all places it is mentioned that it is as good as MS750. However, not sure if the shop plays some high quality audio or what, I did not find that kind of sweetness and openness in sound of MS650. In fact I heard Yamaha ATS-1080 in another shop and it is hard for me to find any difference in Yamaha 1080 and MS650. While MS650 is more than double price of Yamaha one.

I am wondering if the sound will improve after burn-in or may be after 100-120+ Hours usage? As of now, I guess I used it for 50-55 hours but more than 60% times it was used to watch the TV shows or movies and not always songs.

The sound is not very open and details are not that deep.

Did anyone face the same initially then the sound improved dramatically after some time? Pls advise. Thanks.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-04-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I bought Samsung MS650 Sound+ Soundbar. After reading so many reviews and comments thinking that it is/was rated as No. 1 Soundbar in all reviews. I am now convinced that those reviews are surely paid reviews and comment too or they don't know anything about sound and just happy that MS650 is better than TV Speakers.

I am very very disappointed with that. No Bass or Sub-bass at all. Details is also not there. Very average soundbar but cannot do anything now I should have bought Yamahan YAS-108 which was half the price of MS650 and it was with subwoofer too. MS650 is crap and should not cost more than $70-80 or may be max $100 (all AUD). While it costed me $400
post #8 of 15 Old 07-08-2019, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyMood View Post
I bought Samsung MS650 Sound+ Soundbar. After reading so many reviews and comments thinking that it is/was rated as No. 1 Soundbar in all reviews. I am now convinced that those reviews are surely paid reviews and comment too or they don't know anything about sound and just happy that MS650 is better than TV Speakers.

I am very very disappointed with that. No Bass or Sub-bass at all. Details is also not there. Very average soundbar but cannot do anything now I should have bought Yamahan YAS-108 which was half the price of MS650 and it was with subwoofer too. MS650 is crap and should not cost more than $70-80 or may be max $100 (all AUD). While it costed me $400

I have been very happy after picking up nearly 2 years ago the MS750 but I also added on the subwoofer and rear surrounds....the sub just adds so much more to the whole system. Many reviews seem generally happy with the 650 but even happier if they added on the sub. Best of luck to you.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwahoo View Post
I have been very happy after picking up nearly 2 years ago the MS750 but I also added on the subwoofer and rear surrounds....the sub just adds so much more to the whole system. Many reviews seem generally happy with the 650 but even happier if they added on the sub. Best of luck to you.
I also heard MS750 at a store and liked it but now I realised that they intentionally play very high quality songs/sound that you will like even average speakers and buy them. As MS750 was pout of my budget, I researched and found in many reviews that MS650 is similar to MS750 in sound quality and may be here and there only. So I bought that. But I now I know that those reviews are paid reviews only. MS650 sounds like a hard paper box. No life in sound. And to add subwoofer to get better quality means I have to sell put another AU $400-500 so that is out of question. Very poor decision to buy something on the basis of paid reviews.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I also heard MS750 at a store and liked it but now I realised that they intentionally play very high quality songs/sound that you will like even average speakers and buy them. As MS750 was pout of my budget, I researched and found in many reviews that MS650 is similar to MS750 in sound quality and may be here and there only. So I bought that. But I now I know that those reviews are paid reviews only. MS650 sounds like a hard paper box. No life in sound. And to add subwoofer to get better quality means I have to sell put another AU $400-500 so that is out of question. Very poor decision to buy something on the basis of paid reviews.
Don't throw out assumption of paid reviews, because they are not. Normal every day folks really love the sound bar, not just review sites or youtuber's. The sound bar alone is good, but with the sub, it's pretty darn amazing! Didn't really care about the atmos Sound Bars, so could not compare and never did listen to the Yamaha. I did have an older Yamaha that was reviewed very well, that really sounded awful and got rid of it. You might have had a bad unit, because it is a great sound bar.
hsinnott likes this.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #11 of 15 Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc72 View Post
Don't throw out assumption of paid reviews, because they are not. Normal every day folks really love the sound bar, not just review sites or youtuber's. The sound bar alone is good, but with the sub, it's pretty darn amazing! Didn't really care about the atmos Sound Bars, so could not compare and never did listen to the Yamaha. I did have an older Yamaha that was reviewed very well, that really sounded awful and got rid of it. You might have had a bad unit, because it is a great sound bar.
They are most likely Paid reviews only. Because the sound of my MS650 is nowhere near the quality and signature they mentioned in their reviews. I use Mobile App to play music and use Bluetooth to connect with the sound bar. For 2-3 weeks, I continuously tried to install and uninstall various Music Player App on Android, lots of Equalizer setting and what not, but the sound is not good. In fact when I listen to the same song using my Earbuds or Yamaha Headphonem I cannot believe in the clarity and quality. From Sound Bar, the sound is muffed. No clarity. Forget about Subwoofer, without that also there is no bass or low level sound can be heard. My Earbud or Yamaha Headphone does not have any subwoofer, but I can still feel it somehow.

I am not worried about Dolby Atmos. I don't even know if it will make any difference when I play any song on my android music player. Not sure if there is any Music player which can give more natural sound. But I strongly feel that Soundbar itself is crap. I am not sure why I am keep trying setting and different apps to see if that improves the sound. I still have time to return it and I should do it in hurry.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-14-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I bought it from very reputed retailer. Don't think they will sell bad unit.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They are most likely Paid reviews only. Because the sound of my MS650 is nowhere near the quality and signature they mentioned in their reviews. I use Mobile App to play music and use Bluetooth to connect with the sound bar. For 2-3 weeks, I continuously tried to install and uninstall various Music Player App on Android, lots of Equalizer setting and what not, but the sound is not good. In fact when I listen to the same song using my Earbuds or Yamaha Headphonem I cannot believe in the clarity and quality. From Sound Bar, the sound is muffed. No clarity. Forget about Subwoofer, without that also there is no bass or low level sound can be heard. My Earbud or Yamaha Headphone does not have any subwoofer, but I can still feel it somehow.

I am not worried about Dolby Atmos. I don't even know if it will make any difference when I play any song on my android music player. Not sure if there is any Music player which can give more natural sound. But I strongly feel that Soundbar itself is crap. I am not sure why I am keep trying setting and different apps to see if that improves the sound. I still have time to return it and I should do it in hurry.
It's good playing for music, but the SB is more for movies and gaming. If you are only concerned about music, then get a sonos soundbar.

post #14 of 15 Old 07-14-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
It's good playing for music, but the SB is more for movies and gaming. If you are only concerned about music, then get a Sonos soundbar.
Sonos is very expensive. The cheapest one will also cost much more than $500. That is SOnos Beam. Not sure if you are talking about that only or something else. I also heard HEOS Speaker. They were good too. Not sure about Soundbar.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-15-2019, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sonos is very expensive. The cheapest one will also cost much more than $500. That is SOnos Beam. Not sure if you are talking about that only or something else. I also heard HEOS Speaker. They were good too. Not sure about Soundbar.
Sonos Beam, but it lacks bass without the very expensive Sub. You should just get a receiver with some nice speakers since it seams like a sound bar is not for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page