Soundbar for TCL 55P607? <$200? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-25-2017, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Soundbar for TCL 55P607? <$200?

I just purchased a TCL 55P607 for my living room and it will be hung above a mantle and replace my 42" Plasma as shown below. The TCL doesnt have great speakers on it so its Soundbar time.

I need something that will on the mantle and for $100-$200. If something can be expanded upon with other speakers down the road, that would be great too. I have Google Home I would also want to connect.

On a side note do any connect to TV with Bluetooth or do all need to connect with Optical?

Samsung M360 - $100 after promo

Polk Omni SB1 - $200

VIZIO SB2821‑D6 - $98 in store
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170225_173341.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	925.0 KB
ID:	2304620  

Last edited by ffactoryxx; 10-25-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-27-2017, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
The VIZIO 38 inch 5.1 Sound Bar System seems to get good reviews. Very close to your price..
post #3 of 6 Old 11-21-2017, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@ffactoryxx : Since it's about a month later, you probably picked one already but here's my setup. I have the TCL 55" Roku 55P607 TV. It has Optical and HDMI (ARC), plus two normal HDMI inputs and other inputs/outputs.

I got a Yamaha YAS-107 which has multiple inputs, including optical, Bluetooth, 3mm stereo jack, HDMI in and HDMI out (ARC) ports. Got it from Amazon for $199. I just saw a Crutchfield ad a few days prior to Thanksgiving in the US where they have it for $179.

I LOVE IT! LOL.

The TCL TV has HDMI CEC so when both HDMI ARC jacks are connected with an HDMI 2.0 cable, the soundbar turns on and off with the TV but not the reverse. Turning off the soundbar doesn't turn off the TV. With CEC enabled, the TV Roku remote volume controls the soundbar volume showing the level on the screen. Using the soundbar remote also shows the sound level on the TV. Plugging the earbuds into the Roku remote cuts off the soundbar, as it should.

You can turn off the TCL's speakers, and get it set up for HDMI ARC and CEC control. Check the TCL and YAS-107 manuals for how to turn that the CEC/HDMI control function. They both have to have their control options turned on. Granted I'm using this setup in my bedroom but the sound is phenomenal. I think it has decent bass even without a subwoofer. You can increase or decrease the bass level plus it has a Bass Enhance feature for it's builtin subwoofers. I like being able to cut down the bass to a minimum at night, or pump it up during the day.

I just did the firmware update on mine to get DTS:X. I can attach a USB 3.0 flash drive to the TV with a video file that has DTS:X and the DD/DTS led turns red showing it's decoding DTS:X with the 3D Surround button pressed. Green means regular Dolby. No Dolby Atmos though. Plus it's Dolby Digital, not DD+.

I'm extremely happy with the combination of the TCL TV and the Yamaha soundbar.

Please let up know what you went with and how you like it.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-20-2017, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTwitGuy View Post
@ffactoryxx : Since it's about a month later, you probably picked one already but here's my setup. I have the TCL 55" Roku 55P607 TV. It has Optical and HDMI (ARC), plus two normal HDMI inputs and other inputs/outputs.

I got a Yamaha YAS-107 which has multiple inputs, including optical, Bluetooth, 3mm stereo jack, HDMI in and HDMI out (ARC) ports. Got it from Amazon for $199. I just saw a Crutchfield ad a few days prior to Thanksgiving in the US where they have it for $179.

I LOVE IT! LOL.

The TCL TV has HDMI CEC so when both HDMI ARC jacks are connected with an HDMI 2.0 cable, the soundbar turns on and off with the TV but not the reverse. Turning off the soundbar doesn't turn off the TV. With CEC enabled, the TV Roku remote volume controls the soundbar volume showing the level on the screen. Using the soundbar remote also shows the sound level on the TV. Plugging the earbuds into the Roku remote cuts off the soundbar, as it should.

You can turn off the TCL's speakers, and get it set up for HDMI ARC and CEC control. Check the TCL and YAS-107 manuals for how to turn that the CEC/HDMI control function. They both have to have their control options turned on. Granted I'm using this setup in my bedroom but the sound is phenomenal. I think it has decent bass even without a subwoofer. You can increase or decrease the bass level plus it has a Bass Enhance feature for it's builtin subwoofers. I like being able to cut down the bass to a minimum at night, or pump it up during the day.

I just did the firmware update on mine to get DTS:X. I can attach a USB 3.0 flash drive to the TV with a video file that has DTS:X and the DD/DTS led turns red showing it's decoding DTS:X with the 3D Surround button pressed. Green means regular Dolby. No Dolby Atmos though. Plus it's Dolby Digital, not DD+.

I'm extremely happy with the combination of the TCL TV and the Yamaha soundbar.

Please let up know what you went with and how you like it.

Mark
Hi Mark, thanks for your write up. I too just bought the TCL P605 from Bestbuy, and I also got the Yamaha ATS 1070, which I think is the same as the YAS 107... also got a Polk PSW 108 sub. Unfortunately I am having some issues with the setup. I can get the TV and soundbar to communicate with each other, but thy won't see the set top box.

Also the sub just hums when its connected to the soundbar. Sorry to spout off but if you have any advice I'd love to hear it!

Thanks,
J
post #5 of 6 Old 12-20-2017, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcono View Post
Hi Mark, thanks for your write up. I too just bought the TCL P605 from Bestbuy, and I also got the Yamaha ATS 1070, which I think is the same as the YAS 107... also got a Polk PSW 108 sub. Unfortunately I am having some issues with the setup. I can get the TV and soundbar to communicate with each other, but thy won't see the set top box.

Also the sub just hums when its connected to the soundbar. Sorry to spout off but if you have any advice I'd love to hear it!

Thanks,
J
I have no idea why they have two different model names but they sure seem identical to me. Sometimes when Costco sells some tech, it sometimes has a different model number.

I don't use mine with a subwoofer. There might be a compatibility problem between the Yamaha and the Polk sub but it's not likely. I would look at the suggestions here. Since I can't post the URL you'll need to Google this article on Lifewire: "Diagnose and Eliminate Subwoofer Hum and/or Buzz". Looks like he has some good suggestions.

For your issue with the set top box, here's my guess for the correct cabling. An HDMI cable from set top box to the soundbar's HDMI IN. An HDMI cable from the soundbar's HDMI (ARC) Out to the HDMI (ARC) port on the TV. If I understand this correctly that would allow the set top box to pass audio and video to the soundbar. The soundbar then passes the audio and video to the TV which will use the HDMI Audio Return Channel to return the audio back to the soundbar. I think. I'm just not sure about ARC supporting high bandwidth surround sound.

Just in case I also have an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar. SOMETHING should work. LOL. I'll probably need that for the old XBOX One which has to use one of the remaining two non-ARC HDMI ports on the TV. I just don't know if the TV would also use the HDMI ARC port for audio from the XBOX or if I'd need to send the audio to the soundbar using optical. I certainly like having all those connection options. I just haven't had the time to fully test things out.

Definitely please post here whatever resolution you come up with for the sub hum and getting your set top box working so you have audio to the soundbar and video for the TV to display. I still have a ton of reading and digging to do to get into 21st century AV. This is my first flat screen TV. I've been using Windows Media Center and the Silicon Dust HDHomeRun network tuners to watch TV on my 25" PC monitor. Using the old XBOX as a media extender, I can now view it on an actually TV. How cool is that? LOL.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Good luck,
Mark
post #6 of 6 Old 12-21-2017, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I bought a Polk Signature and have problems with syncing.Any suggestions?

USN Ret.
TCL55P607
Westy,WD48FB100
Polk Signa
4 Vizios,2 RCA,2 Sony, 2 Toshiba,1Panasonic,2 Samsung-Gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page