Suggestion for best soundbar with a subwoofer pre-out? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-19-2017, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Suggestion for best soundbar with a subwoofer pre-out?

Thinking about downsizing from my AVR in my great room because I'm really not able to have the surrounds hooked up due to room configuration. I have a decent subwoofer so I'd prefer to get a nice sounding soundbar that I can connect the sub to.

TV is a 65x900e. Budget probably tops out at around 500, but I'm hoping that I'm not paying for a packaged subwoofer within that.

Whatcha got?

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-19-2017, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2771 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post
Thinking about downsizing from my AVR in my great room because I'm really not able to have the surrounds hooked up due to room configuration. I have a decent subwoofer so I'd prefer to get a nice sounding soundbar that I can connect the sub to.

TV is a 65x900e. Budget probably tops out at around 500, but I'm hoping that I'm not paying for a packaged subwoofer within that.

Whatcha got?

Instead of a soundbar, maybe a set of powered speakers instead w/ sub out?

Something like these:
https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/q-bt3/review

(I assume you wouldn't want them in red, however).
post #3 of 13 Old 11-19-2017, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Instead of a soundbar, maybe a set of powered speakers instead w/ sub out?

Something like these:
https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/q-bt3/review

(I assume you wouldn't want them in red, however).
Thanks, I hadn't considered something like that. Part of what I'm looking for from an alternative to my AVR set up, is some sort of "surround sound" and more importantly some sort of dialog enhancement option.

I feel like if I just get another set of speakers, I'm not getting that. Now, I'm completely willing to be schooled on why I'm wrong or looking at the wrong types of options. It's been a long time since I've been back in TV sound system market.

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-19-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2771 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post
Thanks, I hadn't considered something like that. Part of what I'm looking for from an alternative to my AVR set up, is some sort of "surround sound" and more importantly some sort of dialog enhancement option.

I feel like if I just get another set of speakers, I'm not getting that. Now, I'm completely willing to be schooled on why I'm wrong or looking at the wrong types of options. It's been a long time since I've been back in TV sound system market.
Well, a soundbar won't exactly give you a real surround sound experience either. In fact, most won't really even give you a stereo experience, since the speakers are so close together. Some are better than others, but if you want an actual surround sound setup (and not fake surround via a soundbar), you'd kind of need more than just a soundbar (or 2 speakers).

If you have decent speakers currently, I expect any soundbar will be a downgrade to you. The ones I listed may be a downgrade as well... not sure what you have been using.

If you want dialogue enhancement, you want a center speaker, not a soundbar.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 11-19-2017 at 11:33 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-19-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Since you have a sony TV a nice pair of Active monitors with a sub is a great way to go and will beat any sound bar for sound quality. Sony TVs have an analog output that will connect with any Active monitors/speakers with an analog input, so you have a lot more options with that TV. The nice thing about it is you will be able to control the volume with the TV remote or cable/sat remote if you have your TV codes in it.

Under $500 look at a pair of JBL LSR-308, Mackie MR824, M-audio BX8, Behringer Truth 2031. The 8" woofers in these will give better bass than most under $500 sound bars subwoofer and the mids and highs will be much better with the speakers than a sound bar.

if you can up the budget a little the JBL LSR-305 with the LSR310 sub is an awesome combo. Under $500 2.1 system, the Presonus Eris 5 monitors with the PreSonus sub. Most of the time with active speakers you are better with the sub designed for the speakers because the sub is optimized for that brands speakers.

BTW, I work in this industry and get to hear a LOT of sound bars and speakers. I also get a good discount on equipment and I mention that because I could easily get whatever I want. On my 3 TVs in my home I have either a 2.0 or 2.1 speakers system with them and I could have easily used a sound bar on any one of them. But, like I said none of the sound bars compare to a decent pair of speakers. Now if you want some simulated surround sound a sound bar has some advantages but trades off sound quality over the speakers. None of the stand alone sound bars do surround sound as well as systems with surround speakers.

Sound bars do have their place in the audio world. While not as good as a decent speaker system they are still a huge improvement over the TVs built in speakers. They also meet many people's aesthetics but if the spouse acceptance factor is open to a pair of speakers on a shelf or nice speakers stands it is a better way to go for sound quality.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-20-2017, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 609
The Yamaha YAS-107 / ATS-1070 has a sub pre-out and has Voice Enhancement. Also has DTS Virtual X which simulates height.
I think Costco had it for $159 and Best Buy has it for $179.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 13 Old 12-30-2018, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
The Yamaha YAS-107 / ATS-1070 has a sub pre-out and has Voice Enhancement. Also has DTS Virtual X which simulates height.
I think Costco had it for $159 and Best Buy has it for $179.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at this option, but this sound bar has 2 "subwoofers" (in quotes because, c'mon). Which makes me wonder what happens if you use the sub-out feature? Does it bypass these? There can't be a whole lot of speaker left in there after that. It would be nice to find a soundbar tailor made for this application; i.e. someone that already has a sub and the soundbar serves more like a center channel with a couple of lateral projection channels. Anything like that exist? I have yet to find it.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-30-2018, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 93
How about these instead...

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/kef-lsx

65" Sony A9F
Arcam SR250
Bowers & Wilkins 702s
REL T7i
post #9 of 13 Old 12-30-2018, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
How about these instead...

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/kef-lsx
cool, but prefer the combo of laterals and center that a soundbar offers.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-14-2019, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,
I want to resurrect this thread. I have an SVS Subwoofer that I use with my 2 channel system, and am looking for a soundbar to match it. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks
post #11 of 13 Old 03-02-2020, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post
Hi,
I want to resurrect this thread. I have an SVS Subwoofer that I use with my 2 channel system, and am looking for a soundbar to match it. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks

Even I'm on same boat.. Did you find anything?

Current System: LG 65OLEDC7P / Samsung 55HU8550
Speakers: Emotiva T1,C1 And E1 Subwoofer:SVS SB13 Ultra
Receiver: Integra DRX-4 Amplifier: ATI 1505

Started with Bose 3-2-1 and slowly upgrading...
post #12 of 13 Old 03-05-2020, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nen_Chill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post
Hi,

thanks
Even I'm on same boat.. Did you find anything?

I'm about to return the Polk Magnifi Max, which was intended to replace our old Yamaha ATS-1060. It sounds ok, but the bass isn't very impressive and the thing goes into power save mode whenever we fast forward or rewind, causing us to miss a few seconds of sound each time.

I've found only a couple options (Yamaha, Denon) with sub out jacks at a reasonable price point. Most manufacturers seem set on forcing you to buy their bar + sub package.

Anyway, I'm thinking of trying the current version of Yamaha's YAS-109, which is basically the three generations newer version of our ATS-1060. There's no ATS (Costco) version out yet.

I also came across some Denon soundbars on Amazon that seem to have sub out jacks. I actually came here today to research those two. The DHT-S216 is in the price range I want to stay in, but there's also the DHT-S716 for about 3x the price.

Good luck on your search.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-09-2020, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T.Nest View Post
I'm about to return the Polk Magnifi Max, which was intended to replace our old Yamaha ATS-1060. It sounds ok, but the bass isn't very impressive and the thing goes into power save mode whenever we fast forward or rewind, causing us to miss a few seconds of sound each time.

I've found only a couple options (Yamaha, Denon) with sub out jacks at a reasonable price point. Most manufacturers seem set on forcing you to buy their bar + sub package.

Anyway, I'm thinking of trying the current version of Yamaha's YAS-109, which is basically the three generations newer version of our ATS-1060. There's no ATS (Costco) version out yet.

I also came across some Denon soundbars on Amazon that seem to have sub out jacks. I actually came here today to research those two. The DHT-S216 is in the price range I want to stay in, but there's also the DHT-S716 for about 3x the price.

Good luck on your search.
Thanks for the Info... I will check Denon... Yamaha is back up

Current System: LG 65OLEDC7P / Samsung 55HU8550
Speakers: Emotiva T1,C1 And E1 Subwoofer:SVS SB13 Ultra
Receiver: Integra DRX-4 Amplifier: ATI 1505

Started with Bose 3-2-1 and slowly upgrading...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page