Multiple issues with my new Yamaha soundbar... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alexious

post #1 of 9 Old 12-01-2017, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Unhappy Multiple issues with my new Yamaha soundbar...

Hello there,

I've finally gotten my Yamaha YAS 207 soundbar but there are more than a few technical issues with it, sadly.

First of all, the wireless subwoofer seems to be stuck in standby mode. Whenever I try the manual procedure to pair it with the soundbar, it fails, all the time. Not sure if that is because I have a nearby router, though I've tried shuffling the channels to no avail.
Secondly, the soundbar doesn't seem to be able to reproduce DTS or DD sources at all. I'm using HDMI from all sources and only the DPL LED ever lights up for some reason.

Online manuals don't seem to be very helpful. Did anyone go through these same pains with the Y207? Should I just replace the system?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-01-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexious View Post
Should I just replace the system?
I would because there are better sounding systems out there for about the same cost. The 107 and aftermarket sub would be one of them. But, nothing against the 207 and its operation. We haven't had any problems with it.

Not sure on sub. Try a reset of the sound bar and reconnect. How is everything connected? All devices into TV and ARC or optical to sound bar? Any devices go into the sound bar's HDMI input? What TV are you using? Not all TVs can send DD or DTS to the ARC or optical connection. What are the settings on the TV and devices? Some might not have their settings correct for DD/DTS and are only sending stereo.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-02-2017, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
I would because there are better sounding systems out there for about the same cost. The 107 and aftermarket sub would be one of them. But, nothing against the 207 and its operation. We haven't had any problems with it.

Not sure on sub. Try a reset of the sound bar and reconnect. How is everything connected? All devices into TV and ARC or optical to sound bar? Any devices go into the sound bar's HDMI input? What TV are you using? Not all TVs can send DD or DTS to the ARC or optical connection. What are the settings on the TV and devices? Some might not have their settings correct for DD/DTS and are only sending stereo.
I bought the 207 because I found it at a mere €199, which is a few euros more than the 107 for which I would have had to shell another €90-100 at a minimum for the subwoofer.

Anyway, I've got the LG OLED B7 and it can pass through both DD and DTS as per the review by Rtings (and Yamaha's manual).
For the subwoofer wireless pairing, it just won't happen no matter what. I've tried the standard manual procedure and I've also tried resetting the soundbar to no avail. The subwoofer's red standby light keeps blinking and no connection can be made. I'm thinking it might be a faulty unit at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
What are the devices connected to it? Are they set for bitstream (surround) or PCM (stereo)? What is the output set to on the TV, if using the TV apps?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-02-2017, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
What are the devices connected to it? Are they set for bitstream (surround) or PCM (stereo)? What is the output set to on the TV, if using the TV apps?
Ok, I was able to fix that by switching the ports. Now the DD/DTS activate properly.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why the soundbar recognizes my HDMI-connected PC as "TV", though, but it's not a big deal anyway. My main issue now will be to try and get the subwoofer working, though I guess I'll have to reach out to our nearest Yamaha customer care for that.
Dougsmoog likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-15-2018, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexious View Post
Ok, I was able to fix that by switching the ports. Now the DD/DTS activate properly.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why the soundbar recognizes my HDMI-connected PC as "TV", though, but it's not a big deal anyway. My main issue now will be to try and get the subwoofer working, though I guess I'll have to reach out to our nearest Yamaha customer care for that.
I too have had the same issue, did you get the sub working properly and paired?
post #7 of 9 Old 02-23-2018, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougsmoog View Post
I too have had the same issue, did you get the sub working properly and paired?
No. I've returned it and will now be purchasing a new 2018 model from another manufacturer. Yamaha had a truly terrible customer support.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-25-2018, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
did anyone figure this pairing issue out???
post #9 of 9 Old 05-11-2019, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had the pairing issue happen to me too. Called Yamaha, and apparently I was doing it wrong. I was trying to pair the subwoofer while the soundbar was ON. WRONG! You have to turn the sound bar OFF, then attempt to pair the subwoofer by pressing the "-" under "subwoofer" on the remote. Paired up right away. Really weird that it works that way, but glad I got the bass back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page