Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9 - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 133Likes

post #331 of 771 Old 07-06-2018, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post
Interesting observation euckersw. Have my Apple TV & Oppo 203 direct to HDMI 1&2 & all is perfect re: lip sync. However cable tv(Fios) connected via ARC is presenting issues. As an experiment I connected the cable box to HDMI 1 & it was perfect! So I contacted Sony support & it’s possible this could be fixed after a future firmware update. Overall however I’m very pleased w/the Z9F. Take Care.

Unfortunately I kind of doubt a firmware update will solve the problem. It seems to be something that plagues ARC (possibly due to processing before sending the audio over ARC to the audio device?). It makes me wish this soundbar had 3 inputs, so people in your situation could just route everything through the soundbar. Heck, my 6 year old 2.1 soundbar had 3 inputs - why are we going backwards even though more and more HDMI devices are being used?
jrh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 771 Old 07-06-2018, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys -

I'm about to get the ZF9 but have some connection questions, before i purchase it.

My sources are a Sony UHD 700 and a ATV 4K. TV is an LG C8 65". I'd like to run the UHD audio via HDMI audio out to the ZF9, while video HDMI to the TV. I'm not a fan of video switching. The ATV4k as you know only has one HDMI out, so I'd run that to the ZF9 and have it run to the TV via ARC.

In saying all that, is my connection wishes a reality? Or do i have to run everything to the Zf9?

I've read most of this thread but it got a bit confusing. Is there a list of all the proper settings? turn off audio compression etc etc?

Thanks in advance everyone, Fingers crossed.
post #333 of 771 Old 07-06-2018, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by euckersw View Post
Unfortunately I kind of doubt a firmware update will solve the problem. It seems to be something that plagues ARC (possibly due to processing before sending the audio over ARC to the audio device?). It makes me wish this soundbar had 3 inputs, so people in your situation could just route everything through the soundbar. Heck, my 6 year old 2.1 soundbar had 3 inputs - why are we going backwards even though more and more HDMI devices are being used?
Sony indicated a firmware update to the TV not the Z9F. Recent update in the UK proved successful for the A1E.
Agree two inputs very disappointing for this soundbar particularly given the price. Take Care.

Sony55A1E|Oppo 203|Sony Z9F Soundbar|ATV4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 771 Old 07-07-2018, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

For those of you utilizing the rear speakers I’m just interested in knowing the type of speaker stand you are using. Manufacturer & model # would really be helpful. Thanks!
jrh likes this.

post #335 of 771 Old 07-07-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
For those of you utilizing the rear speakers I’m just interested in knowing the type of speaker stand you are using. Manufacturer & model # would really be helpful. Thanks!

Here’s what I got:

SANUS Adjustable Height Speaker Stand... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HZHUCW?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

My only complaint is that they don’t quite go high enough for where I’m sitting.
jrh and jb442386 like this.
post #336 of 771 Old 07-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here’s what I got:

SANUS Adjustable Height Speaker Stand... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HZHUCW?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

My only complaint is that they don’t quite go high enough for where I’m sitting.
Perfect! Your response is greatly appreciated euckersw! Thanks Again!

post #337 of 771 Old 07-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Here’s what I got:

I got these for my rear speakers and they work great for both the Sony Z9F rear speakers and LG sk10y rear speakers. Plus I like the fact they extend more than the Sanus, up to 45 inches.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck.
jrh and jb442386 like this.
post #338 of 771 Old 07-08-2018, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post
I got these for my rear speakers and they work great for both the Sony Z9F rear speakers and LG sk10y rear speakers. Plus I like the fact they extend more than the Sanus, up to 45 inches.

Good luck.
Much Thanks Movie! Really appreciate the post!

post #339 of 771 Old 07-09-2018, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Recent firmware update brought Spotify connect to this SB, but I find its sound quality dissatisfying, comparing to other smart speakers I have, even, Amazon Echo, it sounds very flat. I tried different modes, Music, Cinema, etc, but left if in Standard. I have all the SB enchantments, like DRC, Off.

I don't have rear speakers yet. Only SB and Sub.

The sound from UHD disks are much better. I can't do any equaliser on Spotify as it plays on external source.

Anyone feeling the same?

Thanks.

4K JVC DLA-X7900BE (RS540); 7.1 Audio: Atmos, DTS-HD, True-HD, Screen: Black Widow Dulux DS1 (on the wall); TV: 4K LG 55'
post #340 of 771 Old 07-10-2018, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those owners who use this with Sony a1e I would be interested to know for those people who have their tv sitting on a cabinet rather than wall mounted whether the sound bar gets in the way much.

I have mine sitting on a lowish cabinet so the bottom of the tv is well below eye level, eye level probably upper half of the screen.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
post #341 of 771 Old 07-10-2018, 12:52 PM
jrh

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

Good luck.
Thanks, Jeff! I got the Perlesmith stands in today, and they're a great match for the Z9F rears. I have the speakers hanging from the keyhole inserts, which puts the bottom of the speakers about 42" high.

I've had this system a couple of weeks now. I decided to keep it due to the convenience of the separated wireless rears (the wall behind my viewing/listening position is split). I wish the rears were more powerful, but the system did sound very good on an "Interstellar" BD (not ATMOS). Of course, the sound isn't as full as on the Paradigm 5.1 system I mentioned a couple of pages back, but I have to say that I can understand dialogue better with these.
post #342 of 771 Old 07-10-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh View Post
I've had this system a couple of weeks now. I decided to keep it due to the convenience of the separated wireless rears (the wall behind my viewing/listening position is split). I wish the rears were more powerful, but the system did sound very good on an "Interstellar" BD (not ATMOS). Of course, the sound isn't as full as on the Paradigm 5.1 system I mentioned a couple of pages back, but I have to say that I can understand dialogue better with these.

I concur - I’ve been very impressed with the ability of the soundbar to present clear dialogue!
post #343 of 771 Old 07-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Well after owning the Z9F for about a month now I added the rears this afternoon & all I can say is “WOW “. Really brings the entire system into focus. Thanks to all who responded to the speaker stand question. The Sanus units filled the bill perfectly!
euckersw likes this.

post #344 of 771 Old 07-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzed View Post
For those owners who use this with Sony a1e I would be interested to know for those people who have their tv sitting on a cabinet rather than wall mounted whether the sound bar gets in the way much.

I have mine sitting on a lowish cabinet so the bottom of the tv is well below eye level, eye level probably upper half of the screen.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Own the A1 enzed not sure I can add here other to suggest perhaps a new cabinet. My Z9F rests on a shelf beneath the tv & all is well. Good Luck!
enzed likes this.

post #345 of 771 Old 07-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Guys, if anyone from UK here, where did you buy your rear speakers SA-Z9R? Amazon.co.uk doesn't have availability, other online sources too. After watching Dolby Atmos movies for a week, I must say, rear speakers are the must.

4K JVC DLA-X7900BE (RS540); 7.1 Audio: Atmos, DTS-HD, True-HD, Screen: Black Widow Dulux DS1 (on the wall); TV: 4K LG 55'
post #346 of 771 Old 07-12-2018, 07:27 AM
jrh

Does anyone know of a Sony device whose remote codes can be used for this speaker system in a universal remote control?
post #347 of 771 Old 07-12-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh View Post
Does anyone know of a Sony device whose remote codes can be used for this speaker system in a universal remote control?

The remote for my old Sony HT-CT660 seems to work, so give that a try.
jrh likes this.
post #348 of 771 Old 07-12-2018, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quick question: I have the Z9F connected to a 2018 Vizio P series via HDMI 1 ARC. My question is when i view the info on my tv the audio always says "stereo" no matter what kind of audio i'm playing. I guess i should check the display of the soundbar to see what the audio signal is that it's receiving, but i just wasn't sure if seeing "stereo" on my TV info was normal or not? I know that when a source is directly connected to the TV, it will change to whatever the audio track is (Dolby, Atmos, DTS, etc), but maybe since it isn't doing the audio processing it just says "stereo"? Anybody have any ideas?
post #349 of 771 Old 07-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael46and2 View Post
Quick question: I have the Z9F connected to a 2018 Vizio P series via HDMI 1 ARC. My question is when i view the info on my tv the audio always says "stereo" no matter what kind of audio i'm playing. I guess i should check the display of the soundbar to see what the audio signal is that it's receiving, but i just wasn't sure if seeing "stereo" on my TV info was normal or not? I know that when a source is directly connected to the TV, it will change to whatever the audio track is (Dolby, Atmos, DTS, etc), but maybe since it isn't doing the audio processing it just says "stereo"? Anybody have any ideas?
I also have the soundbar connected to a 2018 Vizio P series (75"). If not viewing an internal app on the TV that supports something like Dolby, them yes, I believe the sound will show as stereo on the TV when pressing the Info button. The Display button on the soundbar will show the actual sound being output (this will show onscreen for directly connected devices on HDMI 1 or HDMI 2, or on the soundbar display itself for ARC returned audio when using the TV input).

Edit: I also checked my Roku connected to one of the other TV HDMI inputs, and playing Dolby 5.1, it shows the Dolby Audio icon on the TV info, and also shows Dolby Audio DD+ on the soundbar display using the TV input of the soundbar (ARC).

Last edited by keysersaucy; 07-12-2018 at 05:05 PM.
post #350 of 771 Old 07-12-2018, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersaucy View Post
Quote:
I also have the soundbar connected to a 2018 Vizio P series (75"). If not viewing an internal app on the TV that supports something like Dolby, them yes, I believe the sound will show as stereo on the TV when pressing the Info button. The Display button on the soundbar will show the actual sound being output (this will show onscreen for directly connected devices on HDMI 1 or HDMI 2, or on the soundbar display itself for ARC returned audio when using the TV input).

Edit: I also checked my Roku connected to one of the other TV HDMI inputs, and playing Dolby 5.1, it shows the Dolby Audio icon on the TV info, and also shows Dolby Audio DD+ on the soundbar display using the TV input of the soundbar (ARC).
Perfect! Thank you so much for your reply. That’s exactly what I was looking for!
post #351 of 771 Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Quote:

Are either of you using the passthrough inputs on the soundbar for high bandwidth HDR video devices like Apple TV 4K, 4K gaming consoles, or UHD BD players? Trying to find others with the HDMI ARC port 1 issues that I'm having with the Vizio 2018 P series.
post #352 of 771 Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by souks83 View Post
Are either of you using the passthrough inputs on the soundbar for high bandwidth HDR video devices like Apple TV 4K, 4K gaming consoles, or UHD BD players? Trying to find others with the HDMI ARC port 1 issues that I'm having with the Vizio 2018 P series.
Yes, I am using both of the HDMI ports on on the soundbar for passthrough. I have my Xbox One X on HDMI 1 and the LG UBK90 UHD BD player on HDMI 2 and haven't had any issues (so far). I should probably hook up the Xbox One X to HDMI 2 through 4 on the TV as well though to verify those are working with 4k 60Hz HDR content, as I know some of these Vizio sets have had reported HDMI problems.
post #353 of 771 Old 07-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I am using both of the HDMI ports on on the soundbar for passthrough. I have my Xbox One X on HDMI 1 and the LG UBK90 UHD BD player on HDMI 2 and haven't had any issues (so far). I should probably hook up the Xbox One X to HDMI 2 through 4 on the TV as well though to verify those are working with 4k 60Hz HDR content, as I know some of these Vizio sets have had reported HDMI problems.
Oppo 203>HDMI port 1 & A4KTV >HDMI port 2 & both working perfectly passing DV & Dolby Atmos. Good Luck!

post #354 of 771 Old 07-13-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
One thing I failed to mention in my review above was my experience with lip sync issues, or rather, to my delight, the lack of lip sync issues! I’m very sensitive to it, but since I have everything (TiVo and Apple TV) plugged directly into the soundbar, the audio has been in complete sync with the video. Even using the LG TV apps via ARC looked good (although I hardly ever use those). I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but for anybody having lip sync issues, you really should try directly connecting your devices to the soundbar, not your TV.
Quote:
Interesting observation euckersw. Have my Apple TV & Oppo 203 direct to HDMI 1&2 & all is perfect re: lip sync. However cable tv(Fios) connected via ARC is presenting issues. As an experiment I connected the cable box to HDMI 1 & it was perfect! So I contacted Sony support & it’s possible this could be fixed after a future firmware update. Overall however I’m very pleased w/the Z9F. Take Care.
After using the soundbar for a little over 2 weeks now, I wanted to follow up and see if anyone has had any issues with lip sync in regards to Dolby Vision output from external devices connected to HDMI 1 or 2. I have noticed that from my LG UBK90 4k BD player, I have a very slight, fraction of a second delay of the image from the sound (sound is just ahead, and it is very slight/fraction of a second, but noticeable to me). This only happens when playing Dolby Vision discs, and not when playing HDR10. I am using HDMI output (ARC) to my TV, obviously. This seems to be soundbar related, as if I connect the BD player directly to the TV, there is no lip sync issue. I also have no issues with internal apps playing Dolby Vision on the TV. I was hoping to see if there was a delay setting in the soundbar, but didn't find anything -- maybe I am not looking in the right place in Settings? The TV has a setting, but that has no affect, as it seems to be only for sound coming through the TV. The BD player also does not seem to have a delay setting.

I also tried connecting the secondary Audio-only HDMI port from the BD player to the soundbar with the primary HDMI going to the TV, but couldn't get the audio working on the soundbar unless I unplugged the HDMI out (ARC) cable, which I obviously don't want to do (I was able to get sound from the Audio-only HDMI port on one of the TV HDMI inputs just to test, so I know the player was outputting just the audio).

I may just resort to watching a lot of the movies I purchased on disc from Vudu on the TV, since so many of the movies I own are available to stream in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, but I would lose the lossless Dolby Atmos to the soundbar, and would instead have to settle for DD+ Dolby Atmos over ARC (which may be fine, I don't think I can tell a difference). I would just be at the mercy of available internet bandwidth and compression, but I think movies through Vudu have looked great.

Anyone have any thoughts or solutions? Maybe a different type of external device to adjust delay?
post #355 of 771 Old 07-13-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I was hoping to see if there was a delay setting in the soundbar, but didn't find anything -- maybe I am not looking in the right place in Settings? The TV has a setting, but that has no affect, as it seems to be only for sound coming through the TV. The BD player also does not seem to have a delay setting.

That is frustrating. As far as soundbar sync, while playing content through the soundbar hit “Options” on your remote and one of the options that should pop up on the screen is “A/V Sync”. See if that helps.
Scarriere likes this.
post #356 of 771 Old 07-13-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
That is frustrating. As far as soundbar sync, while playing content through the soundbar hit “Options” on your remote and one of the options that should pop up on the screen is “A/V Sync”. See if that helps.
Thank you for pointing out that option! I went back to the manual and see it in there as well. I will try that out later, and hopefully it will let me adjust the delay in the direction I need.

Edit - I was able to add 50ms to audio delay and it matches up now.
jrh, euckersw and Scarriere like this.

Last edited by keysersaucy; 07-13-2018 at 07:16 PM.
post #357 of 771 Old 07-15-2018, 06:54 AM
jrh

I forgot to mention that I also like the built-in Chromecast: I'm a Google Music subscriber, so I just tell my Google Home Mini to play a song or genre to "Soundbar" and it wakes the Z9F up from Standby to do it; I don't even have to power it up first!
post #358 of 771 Old 07-15-2018, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Angry

I have had intermittent woes with this soundbar too, and just wondering if you guys could help determine if its just early pre-firmware update teething troubles or a borked soundbar which needs to be swapped.

Here's a breakdown of my setup (I'm UK based):
  • Sony KDL-43XF8505 TV
  • Sony HT-ZF9 Soundbar and rear wireless speakers
  • Apple TV 4K
  • Virgin Media TiVO V6 box
  • PS4 (non Pro)
  • Nintendo Switch

I'm using Amazon Basics HDMI cables throughout, but I've also tested with more expensive ones and it didn't make a blind bit of difference.

Connections:
  • AppleTV4K > TV HDMI 2
  • HT-ZF9 > TV HDMI 3 [ARC]
  • Virgin TiVO > HT-ZF9 HDMI 1
  • PS4 > HT-ZF9 HDMI 2

I'm having 2 separate issues....

1) Intermittent sound dropout on rear speakers/sub (sound quality may be changing on soundbar too - can't be sure?). Basically, when watching anything from a variety of inputs, eg. Live TV channels through Virgin TiVO box, Disney Life through Apple TV, or BBC iPlayer using TV's in built app, the rear sound/sub sound will cut in and out randomly, making it really frustrating to watch/listen to programs, especially the World Cup!

2) The issue mentioned previously regarding black screen. Sometimes whilst watching Netflix through Apple TV, I will get program sound, but no video. The screen is still 'active', as the timeline bar is visible at the bottom - Just no program image. To fix this, it's a 5 second power button press on the TV remote to reboot the tv.

Really getting frustrated now - Annoying, as when it works, it's a great setup... it's just that it's currently broken more than it's working!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
post #359 of 771 Old 07-16-2018, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just got this soundbar with rear speakers, have yet to connect everything. One question though, does the bluetooth support low latency aptX for aptX compatible bluetooth headphones? I can't find this in the specs anywhere. Also is it better to pair BT headphones with the soundbar or TV directly (X900F)?
post #360 of 771 Old 07-16-2018, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singha View Post
Just got this soundbar with rear speakers, have yet to connect everything. One question though, does the bluetooth support low latency aptX for aptX compatible bluetooth headphones? I can't find this in the specs anywhere. Also is it better to pair BT headphones with the soundbar or TV directly (X900F)?
Not sure about answer for the first question.

For the second question, I believe it is better to pair the headphones to the soundbar. I used to pair the headphones to the TV but by doing that sound used to come from the soundbar, too.

Now when you pair with the soundbar, sound will come from headphones when are on or from soundbar when headphones are off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page