Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9 - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136Likes

post #391 of 816 Old 07-29-2018, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 103
When i power off my soundbar it's taking a long time to turn off, I would say about 20 to 25 seconds. This started to happen recently. Before, it would power off almost instantly. I have reset it twice, once through the menu and once through the hard buttons on the bar itself, but still taking long to power off. Powering on the soundbar is fine. Has anyone here experiencing long delays when turning off the soundbar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 816 Old 07-29-2018, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisbailey View Post
Atmos will be coming from LG OLED Netflix, 4K Apple TV when ios12 is released, and Xbox one.

LG OLDEDS do pass atmos through the DD+ through the ARC.

This sounds promising then.

Next question, does it handle regular 5.1 as you would expect it to, Front Left, Right, Centre to the front, rear left and right to the rears? The LGSK10Y does a weird effect so its a non starter at this point
My 2018 Sony (from the XF8500 series) also supports Netflix in 4K/Atmos from the inbuilt app, and I push this sound out via ARC to my ZF9.
post #393 of 816 Old 07-30-2018, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisbailey View Post
LG OLDEDS do pass atmos through the DD+ through the ARC.
My understanding is 2017 and later LG OLEDs support pass through Atmos. 2016 and earlier do not.
Oil of OLED likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 816 Old 08-03-2018, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Spontaneous Restarts

I have enjoyed my HT-Z9F since April. In the last week, I have been plagued by frequent episodes when the audio ceases, a loud buzzing sound emanates from the soundbar, and the soundbar then spontaneously restarts. It would then play normally for variable periods and do it again.

I have only noticed this when an Apple TV 4k or Philips 4K blu-ray player are playing—they are connected to the soundbar’s HDMI inputs. I also noticed that after each restart, the HDMI input settings on the soundbar revert from “enhanced” to “standard”. But I’ve also seen a restart with the soundbar set to “standard” also.

I had not made any changes before all this began. The HDMI cables are Monoprice certified.

I have power cycled everything and reset both the TV and soundbar to factory defaults, but the problem continues.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Charlie

LG OLED77G7P, Yamaha RX-A3070, OPPO UDP-203, Toshiba HD-A3, Apple TV 4K
Sony XBR-55A1E, Pioneer Elite FS-EB70, Sony UBP-X800, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra
Sony XBR-43X800D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP-7501, Apple TV 4K, Xbox One S
Samsung UN75F8000, Marantz SR 7008, Sony BDP-S580, Toshiba HD-XA1, Apple TV 4K
post #395 of 816 Old 08-06-2018, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Have there been any announcements in regards to this unit getting E-ARC in a future update?
LondonBenji likes this.
post #396 of 816 Old 08-06-2018, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by barong View Post
Have there been any announcements in regards to this unit getting E-ARC in a future update?
I believe you have some wrong information. The eARC spec is referring to hardware and how it's processed with the enhanced throughput vs ARC in all current devices now. Therefore, there will be nothing to add to this soundbar and thus require a totally different model when released by Sony. Keep in mind BOTH the soundbar and OLED/LCD display must have eARC to work. Sony's new Master TVs announced recently will be the first TVs to feature eARC, but you still need an eARC compatible soundbar which does not exist yet.

Also, Sony has said they will make an announcement in late August/Sept about an updated soundbar for the 5000. All that is known is it will have rear surround speakers that many wanted for the 5000 but have not said if it will for certain be a fully new soundbar kit that replaces the 5000 or an add-on package. More details from Sony are expected around that time.
post #397 of 816 Old 08-07-2018, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post
I believe you have some wrong information. The eARC spec is referring to hardware and how it's processed with the enhanced throughput vs ARC in all current devices now. Therefore, there will be nothing to add to this soundbar and thus require a totally different model when released by Sony. Keep in mind BOTH the soundbar and OLED/LCD display must have eARC to work. Sony's new Master TVs announced recently will be the first TVs to feature eARC, but you still need an eARC compatible soundbar which does not exist yet.

Also, Sony has said they will make an announcement in late August/Sept about an updated soundbar for the 5000. All that is known is it will have rear surround speakers that many wanted for the 5000 but have not said if it will for certain be a fully new soundbar kit that replaces the 5000 or an add-on package. More details from Sony are expected around that time.
Thanks - I know how e-arc works... There are certain devices from last year that have the capability to be updated to support e-arc:
https://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/an...-compatibility
All depends on the HDMI hardware in them. I was hoping this model may get updated so I could get one now instead of waiting for the new models.

Thanks for the response anyway.
LondonBenji likes this.

Last edited by barong; 08-07-2018 at 07:33 PM.
post #398 of 816 Old 08-07-2018, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by barong View Post
Thanks - I know how e-arc works... There are certain devices from last year that have the capability to be updated to support e-arc:
https://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/an...-compatibility
All depends on the HDMI hardware in them. I was hoping this model may get updated so I could get one now instead of waiting for the new models.

Thanks for the response anyway.
Not sure exactly what you mean because the specs on the ZF9 state they are HDMI 2.0a inputs. You must have HDMI 2.1 inputs for it to work with eARC. The link you posted even states "certain" newer Denon receivers do in fact have the HDMI 2.1 inputs, thus it would support eARC. Like I said above, no current hardware will support it without HDMI 2.1 inputs and the new Sony TVs and soundbars/upgrade packages will be required given the legacy HDMI 2.0a inputs on them now. I was only referring to Sony products per the thread title, other companies may have HDMI 2.1 inputs on their newer hardware however.

I am quite happy with my ZF9 and in fact returned the LG 10SKY soundbar (with the updated firmware for the center channel). By the time Sony releases any replacement for the 5000 and done a couple of firmware updates on it I will have had good use out of this one and can update if I want. Also, depending on price/performance I think it will be hard to beat the LG OLED models out now.

Best of luck in your shopping
post #399 of 816 Old 08-16-2018, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if so what settings you have to maybe eliminate it.

Does anyone else notice that voices and spoken dialogue can get overpowered by music or sound in movies or games? There are times when Ill play a game and if it didnt have the subtitles, the music just completely overpowered to the point where the dialogue is almost inaudible. I've also listened to concerts or music videos on youtube where the same problem occurs, almost like the music overpowers the vocals.

Over time this has disappointed me with this soundbar. Everything else sounds fantastic, but when it overpowers voices, Im sorely disappointed.
post #400 of 816 Old 08-17-2018, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Tried ro ramp up "voice" ?
I always have it on 2.
TheSonyExperience likes this.
post #401 of 816 Old 08-19-2018, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So is there any consensus as to where the wireless satellite speakers should be placed? Are they rear speakers and therefore should be inline and pointed at the listener, or are they rear speakers and should be behind the listener (and potentially not pointed directly at the listener, but towards the center of the room)? I would love to hear others’ opinions. Thanks.
post #402 of 816 Old 08-19-2018, 10:16 AM

I will get mine this week and have to place them almost in line with seating position due to my room Setup.
Hope it will work.
Sony on the other hand advices to place them behind the listener directed to the seating position. You can see this on a picture of the product page.
jrh, euckersw and jb442386 like this.
post #403 of 816 Old 08-19-2018, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danic99 View Post
I will get mine this week and have to place them almost in line with seating position due to my room Setup.
Hope it will work.
Sony on the other hand advices to place them behind the listener directed to the seating position. You can see this on a picture of the product page.

Ah ha! Thank you for that!
post #404 of 816 Old 08-20-2018, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sound but no video!

Hi,

I am from the UK and also get similar issues to those posted by others on here... I have Sky Q -> HDMI switch -> ZF9 which is connected to an XF9005 using output HDMI 3 (ARC). If I set the HDMI switch to HDCP 2.2, I either get a black screen with audio, or a jumping image with audio.

I can force the output of the switch to be HDCP 1.4 which seems to work however I can't see that being a long term solution when I add a 4K blu ray player over the next week!

If I bypass the ZF9 altogether then it works flawlessly so it's not the switch or Sky Q.

It feels like a HDCP pass through issue? Am not an expert in this though. I have tried all sorts of 18Gbps rated cables, so I don't think it is that, plus with others experiencing the same thing am thinking it's a possibly FW update needed.

Any help appreciated.
post #405 of 816 Old 08-20-2018, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentin_rayner View Post
Hi,

I am from the UK and also get similar issues to those posted by others on here... I have Sky Q -> HDMI switch -> ZF9 which is connected to an XF9005 using output HDMI 3 (ARC). If I set the HDMI switch to HDCP 2.2, I either get a black screen with audio, or a jumping image with audio.

I can force the output of the switch to be HDCP 1.4 which seems to work however I can't see that being a long term solution when I add a 4K blu ray player over the next week!

If I bypass the ZF9 altogether then it works flawlessly so it's not the switch or Sky Q.

It feels like a HDCP pass through issue? Am not an expert in this though. I have tried all sorts of 18Gbps rated cables, so I don't think it is that, plus with others experiencing the same thing am thinking it's a possibly FW update needed.

Any help appreciated.
I assume that you have set the Z9F inputs to "enhanced" in the settings for the soundbar?
Gerry

Sony XBR 77A9G - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - 2019 Shield TV Pro - 2019 Roku Ultra
post #406 of 816 Old 08-20-2018, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danic99 View Post
Tried ro ramp up "voice" ?
I always have it on 2.
I have it on 2 all the time as well. Still have the issue mainly when there is more music in the background
post #407 of 816 Old 08-20-2018, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentin_rayner View Post
Hi,

Any help appreciated.
I assume that you have set the Z9F inputs to "enhanced" in the settings for the soundbar?
Gerry
Yeah both TV and soundbar are set to Enhanced. I can set the EDID to a lower setting on the HDMI switch but that doesn't seem to make a difference either. I will have to raise a call with Sony however it seems I am not alone reading some of the posts on here!!
post #408 of 816 Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Hello guys, i just bought the Sony HT-Z9F soundbar and the Sony Z9R Surround Speaker for my room, i would love to receive some advice from experts to get the most of it.
I need to purchase a new TV for the room, i have in mind the Sony OLED A8F and the LG OLED B7P (both same price in my country), im little confused how would i get the most of Atmos in my configuration, i wnt to palyback 4k+Atmos media files from a Plex Server (via Tv APP, nVidia Shield Pro or Apple TV 4k) and also hoping to be able to play them via USB external HD Playback, the concerns comes when i choose the device to playback the file from, because if i choose the TV to be the source (via APP or USB) they way it connects to the soundbar would be Optical, and i dont know if the ATMOS passthrough this connection to the soundbar system... im very confused on how can get the better from this, hopefully i get some advice, in my room i plan to use the nvidia shield, satellite tv and maybe the apple tv 4k, many thanks.
post #409 of 816 Old 08-22-2018, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
What would be a good TV to get atmos trough his HDMI ARC to the output atmos soundbar?
post #410 of 816 Old 08-23-2018, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo Ventura Rosenblut View Post
What would be a good TV to get atmos trough his HDMI ARC to the output atmos soundbar?
My Sony X940E passes ATMOS over ARC from my Sony X700 Blu Ray player.. However, be aware that a Apple TV 4K outputs ATMOS in a MAT format and most TVs will not pass it over ARC.
Gerry

Sony XBR 77A9G - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - 2019 Shield TV Pro - 2019 Roku Ultra
post #411 of 816 Old 08-23-2018, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
My Sony X940E passes ATMOS over ARC from my Sony X700 Blu Ray player.. However, be aware that a Apple TV 4K outputs ATMOS in a MAT format and most TVs will not pass it over ARC.
Gerry
Is the MAT format the same as DD+?

I bought an Apple TV 4K and I want to make sure Atmos will work with my X900E or I’ll return it for a Roku.
post #412 of 816 Old 08-23-2018, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac12 View Post
Is the MAT format the same as DD+?

I bought an Apple TV 4K and I want to make sure Atmos will work with my X900E or I’ll return it for a Roku.
No MAT is not the same as ATMOS riding on DD+. I have my ATV4K plugged directly into my NT-Z9F and ATMOS works great. As I noted above it will not work with the ATV4K plugged directly into the TV and then trying to use ARC.
Your Z9F should be plugged into the ARC input on your TV.. Use either HDMI inputs on the Z9F for your ATV4K.
Gerry
euckersw and jb442386 like this.

post #413 of 816 Old 08-23-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
No MAT is not the same as ATMOS riding on DD+. I have my ATV4K plugged directly into my NT-Z9F and ATMOS works great. As I noted above it will not work with the ATV4K plugged directly into the TV and then trying to use ARC.
Your Z9F should be plugged into the ARC input on your TV.. Use either HDMI inputs on the Z9F for your ATV4K.
Gerry
I understand what you’re saying and that is how I have things set up now BUT I’m having lip sync issues with my DirecTV plugged into HDMI 2 on the TV passing audio to the Z9F over ARC. The solution in this thread was to plug the DTV box into the Z9F instead and put the ATV4K into the TV. I’ve also got an x800 blu ray so this thing really needs an extra hdmi input.
post #414 of 816 Old 08-23-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand what you’re saying and that is how I have things set up now BUT I’m having lip sync issues with my DirecTV plugged into HDMI 2 on the TV passing audio to the Z9F over ARC. The solution in this thread was to plug the DTV box into the Z9F instead and put the ATV4K into the TV. I’ve also got an x800 blu ray so this thing really needs an extra hdmi input.
My Dish DVR is plugged into HDMI 4 on my X940E and I have no lip sync issues. I suggest that you put your directv box into the Z9F and plug your x800 into HDMI 2 on your TV. My X700 is plugged into HDMI 2 and I have zero problems with it hooked that way. I assume that HDMI 2 and 3 are full bandwidth ports on your TV?
Gerry

post #415 of 816 Old 08-23-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
My Dish DVR is plugged into HDMI 4 on my X940E and I have no lip sync issues. I suggest that you put your directv box into the Z9F and plug your x800 into HDMI 2 on your TV. My X700 is plugged into HDMI 2 and I have zero problems with it hooked that way. I assume that HDMI 2 and 3 are full bandwidth ports on your TV?
Gerry
Yes, HDMI 2 and 3 are the full bandwidth. I have the directv 4K receiver and there are actually 4K HDR programs and sporting events available so that’s why I put it on hdmi 2.

Why wouldn’t you put your x700 directly into the Z9F? I figured that would be best for audio quality from UHD blu ray discs.
post #416 of 816 Old 08-24-2018, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, HDMI 2 and 3 are the full bandwidth. I have the directv 4K receiver and there are actually 4K HDR programs and sporting events available so that’s why I put it on hdmi 2.

Why wouldn’t you put your x700 directly into the Z9F? I figured that would be best for audio quality from UHD blu ray discs.
I get Dolby Atmos from the X700 to the Z9F over ARC without problem. The reason that I don't have the X700 plugged into the Z9F is that when I do I am getting some problems with my ATV4K that is also plugged in. I've tried hooking it up twice that way but still get problems so it's easier to just do it this way since I get everything I need.

As for your Directv, you will get 4K through the Z9F...

Gerry

post #417 of 816 Old 08-24-2018, 07:54 AM

Not a good thing to do. All HD Audio formats including Dolby Atmos with a true HD Core wont work this way.
For this you would need eARC.

The only Atmos that works is DD+ Atmos. But thats not on UHD Bluray Discs.
post #418 of 816 Old 08-24-2018, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 200
If you haven't already, please complete the software update on your sound bar. This helps drastically reduce disconnections with the Z9R speakers from the Z9F.

Spoiler!
post #419 of 816 Old 08-25-2018, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hello all,

I recently moved to a new home, and in the process ended up selling my old non-atmos 7.1 aperion set up. Loved it for music, not so great imo for home theater purposes (plus my SO wants a smaller footprint in the new house).

I definitely plan on buying an atmos-capable soundbar set-up for the new place, and am considering either the ZF9 or perhaps the new offerings from Vizio (if they ever release anything!). Really, everything else is in contention as well, but the ZF9 and Vizio keeps bubbling up to the top.

Anyways, I wonder if anyone wanted to chime in as to whether the ZF9 might make more sense given the layout of my living room (where the soundbar/projector combo will be located). Fortunately (for atmos) the ceilings are standard height. However, there would be no wall to either side (left or right) of the soundbar for about 15 to 17 feet. In other words, there wouldnt be side walls for the sound to bounce off of for at least 15 feet.

Would this diminish the atmos effect if I ended up using a "true" Atmos bar? Such that the ZF9 might make the best sense?

Also- I would likely have minimal atmos offerings to play through the soundbar in the beginning. I stream basically everything (no bluray). While Vudu has atmos offerings via stream, I am considering buying an xbox one not only to play games (havent done so in like a decade!) but also since Netflix streams 4k/atmos offerings via xbox. But that would be about the extent of my atmos capabilities for a while.

As such, I also wonder if the ZF9 might make sense since it can "upscale" non atmos content for a virtual atmos effect?

Thanks all- still trying to wait a week or two to see what the heck the Vizio people are up to before making a decision.

Last edited by 33sun33; 08-25-2018 at 05:48 AM.
post #420 of 816 Old 08-26-2018, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sorry- just an update. I went to Best Buy to demo both the Z9F and the SK10Y, and I was completely blown away by the performance of the Z9F. I have no idea how they "virtually" made it feel as though sounds were completely surrounding me (from the sides, rear, on top a bit). I honestly was expecting much less

The Sk10Y, in contrast, wasnt very impressive in person, with all of the sound hitting me from the front (though it was very loud). But I must think that was due to the poor setup of the bar in BB, and Im still intrigued by the idea of a "true" atmos bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page