Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9 - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136Likes

post #481 of 813 Old 11-03-2018, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Z9F settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGRINNY View Post
Hi
I have the same x800 and Apple 4K TV both going into soundbar set up with Sony XD9305, soundbar in front of TV
What are your settings? Did you adjust any audio settings in the TV itself ?
My soundbar displays the same as your pic too

Many thanks
The sound adjustments from the TV were “standard” at/sound/advanced settings/input related/ Dolby dynamic range.. And “Cinema” as the sound mode. The only adjustments of the soundbar is volume and distance of the speakers. I tweaked levels of SW to suit me. I️ have a copy of Saving Private Ryan, Ultra HD and just watched the first 30 minutes ..The soundbar is impressive.

I️ did update the firmware of the Z9F and X800 this week. Cannot tell any difference in performance.

Rkirt
PaulGRINNY likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 813 Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert.J.Farnsworth View Post
I’ve set distances instead of DB seems to give the best balance. I think increasing DB will sound off, unless for the SW maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok cool , I have already set distances

Many thanks
post #483 of 813 Old 11-03-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersaucy View Post
I have a question regarding the optional Z9R wireless rear speakers. What is the optimal placement for these speakers? I couldn't find anything in the manual or on Sony's website, but seeing as they are labeled as wireless rear speakers, should they be set up as rear surrounds and not surrounds?

I ask because with the addition of the rear speakers kit they would seem to turn the whole system into a 5.1 with the sound bar and sub, but from what I can tell, in 5.1, the two additional speakers are surrounds (approximately 110-120 degrees from front front facing direction) and not rear surrounds (135-150 degrees). Sony calls them rears.

I would think Sony would have engineered these to emulate 7.1.2 with the placement of these speakers one way or the other. Any thoughts as to which is correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
Wow, I was just about to post a similar question. I would like to get these rears but for me it is not ideal to place behind seating position but rather on the sides of my sofa as surround speakers. I am curious if it makes a difference and if I'm losing anything by not placing them behind my sofa?
Quote:
Hey there, curious as to how you placed the rears. My sofa is against the wall so I cannot place behind my sofa so I'm sorta using them as surrounds. Either way they do give this system a much more immersive experience. I did notice the rear speakers would occasionally cut out for a second. I read somewhere about turning off the RF Channel setting which did not help me. I also read about turning off 2.4 ghz channel on my router. I think this may have have done the trick but I still need to listen to it some more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by euckersw View Post
I’m in the same situation. My sofa is up against the wall, so I have the rears on either side of the couch about 1 foot above ear level and pointed towards the center of the room (not directly at my ear). I’d like to get them up another foot or so, but this is the highest the stands will go. I might look into mounting them to the wall down the road. Regarding the rears cutting out, did you try manually linking them? Like I said, that seemed to clear up the wireless linking problem I was having with the sub.
Hi guys
I have the same set up with my sofa being against the wall, at present the rears are sitting on the back of sofa at either end just below ear level.
Any advice on where the rears should go level with your head or behind the sofa and how high they should be. I have the option to pull the sofa a little away from the wall

No cutting out problems btw
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 813 Old 11-03-2018, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Does anyone know if there is a Remote shortcut to switch from sound modes to Dolby virtualizer?

post #485 of 813 Old 11-03-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Hi guys
I have the same set up with my sofa being against the wall, at present the rears are sitting on the back of sofa at either end just below ear level.
Any advice on where the rears should go level with your head or behind the sofa and how high they should be. I have the option to pull the sofa a little away from the wall

No cutting out problems btw
Cheers
i have mine on 48 inch speaker stands (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which puts them above ear level. i placed them on the left and right side of my sofa facing my sitting position.
yanksno1 likes this.

LG OLED65C9P / LG OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
post #486 of 813 Old 11-04-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
i have mine on 48 inch speaker stands (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which puts them above ear level. i placed them on the left and right side of my sofa facing my sitting position.
Did it improve the sound ?
post #487 of 813 Old 11-04-2018, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did it improve the sound ?
yes.

LG OLED65C9P / LG OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
post #488 of 813 Old 11-06-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately can’t get these in UK Amazon
post #489 of 813 Old 11-07-2018, 01:13 AM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Unfortunately can’t get these in UK Amazon
Amazon US will ship them to the UK. I buy stuff from Amazon.com all the time and delivery is fast.
post #490 of 813 Old 11-07-2018, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Will the built-in wire channel accommodate the power wire of the rear speakers?
post #491 of 813 Old 11-09-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboJosh View Post
Will the built-in wire channel accommodate the power wire of the rear speakers?
If you are referring to the wire management on stand then the answer is no, it does not accommodate the power cord of the rear speaker.

post #492 of 813 Old 11-10-2018, 07:47 PM

Liked: 10
Quick question, can the led display be turned off on this soundbar?
post #493 of 813 Old 11-10-2018, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameer111 View Post
Quick question, can the led display be turned off on this soundbar?
From manual:

1 Press DIMMER. (On remote)

The display mode appears in the front panel display.

2 Press the button repeatedly to select the desired display mode.

Mode
Explanation

“BRIGHT”
The front panel display
and BLUETOOTH
indicator light brightly.

“DARK”
The front panel display and BLUETOOTH
indicator light darkly.

“OFF”
The front panel display is turned off.

I tried this but my LED would only stay in "Dark" mode, not fully turn off in "off" mode.
Maybe will be fixed in future firmware updates.
post #494 of 813 Old 11-11-2018, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just curious... are you guys plugging your cable box directly into the sound bar?

Right now I have it arc to tv and and cablebox into tv and not hearing great volume or effects.

The two ports on the sound bar have my shield and Xbox currently.

Thanks
post #495 of 813 Old 11-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essg88 View Post
Just curious... are you guys plugging your cable box directly into the sound bar?

Right now I have it arc to tv and and cablebox into tv and not hearing great volume or effects.

The two ports on the sound bar have my shield and Xbox currently.

Thanks
I have my cable box and DVD player plugged into HDMI 1 & 2 in the soundbar. I have my Amazon Fire Stick plugged into my TV and of course my TV connected to Soundbar via Arc.
I personally don't use an Xbox or Shield.

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-11-2018 at 01:17 PM.
post #496 of 813 Old 11-11-2018, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have my cable box and DVD player plugged into HDMI 1 & 2 in the soundbar. I have my Amazon Fire Stick plugged into my TV and of course my TV connected to Soundbar via Arc.
I personally don't use an Xbox or Shield.
Interesting thanks! I'm wondering if I should move it directly into the soundbar then. I"m also seeing voice sync issues as well sometimes.

I'm assuming I'd have to redo my calibrations when moving the cablebox from the tv input to the soundbar inputs correct?

Thanks again
post #497 of 813 Old 11-11-2018, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I hope someone can help me. I have a PS4 pro. The soundbar is connected to my tv via arc hdmi. Is it necassary to connect my ps4 also directly to the soundbar? Or is hdmi arc to tv sufficient enough? Im afraid im missing something out
post #498 of 813 Old 11-11-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essg88 View Post
Interesting thanks! I'm wondering if I should move it directly into the soundbar then. I"m also seeing voice sync issues as well sometimes.

I'm assuming I'd have to redo my calibrations when moving the cablebox from the tv input to the soundbar inputs correct?

Thanks again
Yes, I would try plugging them directly into the soundbar. You then can decide if it sounds better. Good luck.
post #499 of 813 Old 11-11-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerci123 View Post
I hope someone can help me. I have a PS4 pro. The soundbar is connected to my tv via arc hdmi. Is it necassary to connect my ps4 also directly to the soundbar? Or is hdmi arc to tv sufficient enough? Im afraid im missing something out
I'm not sure of the capabilities of the PS4 pro via arc but I would try plugging into the soundbar and see if it changes anything.
post #500 of 813 Old 11-12-2018, 05:33 AM

Here is some info I got from a member ELLEBOB about ARC.

"ARC cannot carry Lossless Dolby True HD (ATMOS), Lossless DTS HD Master Audio (DTS:X), Lossless Multichannel PCM. If your sources have these formats you should go directly to the sound bar.

ARC can carry compressed DD 5.1, compressed DD+ (Atmos), compressed DTS, Lossless stereo PCM

For ARC to work it has to turn on CEC which often causes problems with switching inputs and turning on/off devices as each manufacturer implements the CEC commands differently and there is no standard for CEC set up by HDMI onto what happens when these commands are received.

CEC is called different things by various manufacturers so you have to look for these manufacturers names to turn it on or off.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consum...ronics_Control

You don't have to use ARC to use CEC. So if all your devices are connected to a sound bar (or receiver) the sound bar does not have to connect to the ARC input of the TV. It only needs the ARC input if you want sound from the TV or devices connected to the TV to go to the soundbar (or receiver)."
post #501 of 813 Old 11-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Here is some info I got from a member ELLEBOB about ARC.

"ARC cannot carry Lossless Dolby True HD (ATMOS), Lossless DTS HD Master Audio (DTS:X), Lossless Multichannel PCM. If your sources have these formats you should go directly to the sound bar.

ARC can carry compressed DD 5.1, compressed DD+ (Atmos), compressed DTS, Lossless stereo PCM

For ARC to work it has to turn on CEC which often causes problems with switching inputs and turning on/off devices as each manufacturer implements the CEC commands differently and there is no standard for CEC set up by HDMI onto what happens when these commands are received.

CEC is called different things by various manufacturers so you have to look for these manufacturers names to turn it on or off.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consum...ronics_Control

You don't have to use ARC to use CEC. So if all your devices are connected to a sound bar (or receiver) the sound bar does not have to connect to the ARC input of the TV. It only needs the ARC input if you want sound from the TV or devices connected to the TV to go to the soundbar (or receiver)."
Note that it now supports eARC so as long as the TV supports eARC (rare at the moment) then it'll do uncompressed audio and Atmos from the TV even if your source device is plugged into the TV.
post #502 of 813 Old 11-12-2018, 10:23 AM

Thank you the information [email protected] I hooked my ps4 directly to the soundbar and soundbar via hdmi arc to the tv but now i dont have picture but only sound. Does anyone has a solution?
post #503 of 813 Old 11-12-2018, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Thank you the information [email protected] I hooked my ps4 directly to the soundbar and soundbar via hdmi arc to the tv but now i dont have picture but only sound. Does anyone has a solution?
Were you actually having any issues with the PS4 connected to the TV and the TV connected to the sound bar, all via HDMI?
post #504 of 813 Old 11-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
Quote:
Were you actually having any issues with the PS4 connected to the TV and the TV connected to the sound bar, all via HDMI?
No with soundbar connected to tv and ps4 to tv i dont have any issues
post #505 of 813 Old 11-13-2018, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
No with soundbar connected to tv and ps4 to tv i dont have any issues
Anyone know if the rears(z9rs) will drop in price on BF? Are they really worth it? I live in a small apartment and I'm afraid to disturb my neighbors.
post #506 of 813 Old 11-16-2018, 06:32 AM

I finally solved my picture problem with the ps4. It was the hdmi cable. I bought a ultra high speed hdmi cable and connected the cable directly to the sounbar and it works now.
post #507 of 813 Old 11-16-2018, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any news on Google Home/Google Assistant support for this system? So I can use it like a Google Home speaker?
post #508 of 813 Old 11-16-2018, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 136
4k Passthrough signal drops upon turning tv and sound bar on:

Quote:
I finally solved my picture problem with the ps4. It was the hdmi cable. I bought a ultra high speed hdmi cable and connected the cable directly to the sounbar and it works now.
Hi Guys,
I've had my z9f sound bar since last Spring. I used it with my previous set(x930e 65), and now using it with the z9d. I was having some intermittent signal drops with the Apple TV 4k, and after switching to the new set(z9d), I finally decided to replace the Amazon high speed 4k cables with the Monoprice certified cables. The Monoprice was recommended by some users in the z9d thread. However, I still get a long delay(about 30 seconds) of a signal when I first turn the z9d on. When I turn the z9d on, it first says "no signal", and then the z9f sound bar switches between tv and speakers at least twice. While it's switching the speakers signal, I get a drop in the video signal as well. This happens with my Apple TV 4k and Sony x700. Any thoughts? I don't get signal drops once the sound bar connects with the tv upon powering up the set. Thanks in advance.
post #509 of 813 Old 11-17-2018, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I see this soundbar is on sale at my local best buy. I can't use the rears as my room is open concept and there's no where to plug them in. I sit about 9 feet from my 55" oled. Is this still a good choice for me? The ST5000 looks good but is twice the price.
post #510 of 813 Old 11-17-2018, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatkinson View Post
I see this soundbar is on sale at my local best buy. I can't use the rears as my room is open concept and there's no where to plug them in. I sit about 9 feet from my 55" oled. Is this still a good choice for me? The ST5000 looks good but is twice the price.

Same set up and distance, this soundbar is the best I’ve heard, i tried up firing speakers (lg Sk10y) and it sounded fake, can’t go wrong with this one if you get a good deal go for it but get the surround speakers too. The best thing about it is that you can set the distance in settings

jrh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page