Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9 - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

post #511 of 743 Old 11-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9

Duplicate deleted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 743 Old 11-17-2018, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert.J.Farnsworth View Post
Same set up and distance, this soundbar is the best I’ve heard, i tried up firing speakers (lg Sk10y) and it sounded fake, can’t go wrong with this one if you get a good deal go for it but get the surround speakers too. The best thing about it is that you can set the distance in settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply, but as I was saying, I cannot use rears as I have no way to plug them in. The question is whether it's a really good choice anyway.
post #513 of 743 Old 11-17-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatkinson View Post
Thanks for the reply, but as I was saying, I cannot use rears as I have no way to plug them in. The question is whether it's a really good choice anyway.

My bad, yes it’s a fantastic soundbar. If you’re not using rear you can play around with Sony vertical sound engine and Dolby virtual speakers and see what gives you the best effect, it’s nice to have the choice. Though Dolby virtualization won’t work with DTSX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 743 Old 11-18-2018, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookklyn View Post
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-zf9

From official site:

"Hear sound from all directions with max 7.1.2 surround sound
Vertical Surround Engine, our latest surround technology lets you enjoy the thrill of the latest cinema audio formats like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X in a single slim unit. No matter what type of room you’re in, its three front speakers reproduce “vertical”, creating virtual surround sound that seems to come from all around you. "

"Everything upscaled close to 7.1.2ch
Now you can enjoy everything you watch in maximum 7.1.2ch sound. "

"Support HDR 10, Dolby Vison, Hybrid-Log Gamma"

And the official First Look Video:

So what is the final verdict on Sony ZF9 ? Is it a decent sound bar to buy if you need Atmos effect on PS4 games and Netflix content (on non Atmos content as well) ?
post #515 of 743 Old 11-21-2018, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After living with this soundbar for a while, I can say it sounds very good; depending on the source material, it can sound excellent. Getting to the proper sound settings for each source, however, has been a pain. I think I've figured it out. Wondering whether you guys agree.

If the source is Atmos/DTS:X, turn on Sound Mode (or is it Effect? I'm away from my gear right now), turn on VSE.

If the source is garden variety DD/DD+ 5.1, turn off Sound Mode, turn on Dolby Virtualization.

If the source is PCM 2.1, clap hands, whistle and hop on one leg -- I mean, try all the modes till something sounds good to you.

I find it very frustrating (and if my return window was still open, it might be a dealbreaker) to have to drill down 15 clicks or more (esp on Roku TV connected via ARC) to get to the sound settings to make a simple change. One more freaking button on the remote would have been so hard to do?

Anyway, on a scale of 1-10: Sound 8 (at times), Ergonomics 1.
post #516 of 743 Old 11-22-2018, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
So what exactly is the correct setting for DRC and Advanced Auto Volume? What is supposed to sound the best? My inputs are a PS4 and an Apple TV 4K.

DRC is on Auto by default.
Auto Volume is off.

I’m not really sure what these do as it’s hard to find detailed information on these settings.
post #517 of 743 Old 11-23-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd666 View Post
So what exactly is the correct setting for DRC and Advanced Auto Volume? What is supposed to sound the best? My inputs are a PS4 and an Apple TV 4K.

Auto Volume is off.

I’m not really sure what these do as it’s hard to find detailed information on these settings.

The correct setting would be to turn off all sound processing, but it would defeat the purpose of this sound bar since it relies on sound processing to virtualize surround.
Personally I have DRC set to off since i find it to compresse the sound too much but I turn auto volume on. Sony says their advance auto volume is applied on the center channel only and I find it to enhance dialogue and work pretty seamlessly. I have sound modes on, the bar and surround set to 6 and SW set to 3, turning down the bass made a huge difference on clarity, and it sounds a lot punchier. The SW volume will depend on where you have it placed, If you have wood floor, tiles, carpet etc and mostly the size of your room.
Play around with setttings but I would definitely turn DRC off.

post #518 of 743 Old 11-23-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Auto Volume is off.

The correct setting would be to turn off all sound processing, but it would defeat the purpose of this sound bar since it relies on sound processing to virtualize surround.
Personally I have DRC set to off since i find it to compresse the sound too much but I turn auto volume on. Sony says their advance auto volume is applied on the center channel only and I find it to enhance dialogue and work pretty seamlessly. I have sound modes on, the bar and surround set to 6 and SW set to 3, turning down the bass made a huge difference on clarity, and it sounds a lot punchier. The SW volume will depend on where you have it placed, If you have wood floor, tiles, carpet etc and mostly the size of your room.
Play around with setttings but I would definitely turn DRC off.

Thanks for the reply! What do you mean you have the bar at 6 and sub at 3? I’m assuming you’re talking the volume? Or maybe the dab settings under the sound bar settings?
post #519 of 743 Old 11-23-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! What do you mean you have the bar at 6 and sub at 3? I’m assuming you’re talking the volume? Or maybe the dab settings under the sound bar settings?

Yes it’s the volume, goes to 12, default volume is 6, so I turn down the sub to 3 but that’s because my room acoustics are very boomy, you might want to leave it at 6 depending on your room.

post #520 of 743 Old 11-23-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yes it’s the volume, goes to 12, default volume is 6, so I turn down the sub to 3 but that’s because my room acoustics are very boomy, you might want to leave it at 6 depending on your room.

Ok I know the sub has its own volume control but doesn’t putting up or down the “main” volume increase/decrease the sub too?

And what about the dB Levels within the soujdbars manual speaker adjustment? Have you touched that?
post #521 of 743 Old 11-24-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Ok I know the sub has its own volume control but doesn’t putting up or down the “main” volume increase/decrease the sub too?

And what about the dB Levels within the soujdbars manual speaker adjustment? Have you touched that?

Since reading your message I’ve tested both and ended up lowering sub at -2db and keeping volume at 6 on the remote. It is probably the same thing except doing it in the menu still gives you the ability to use sub volume on the remote while keeping it locked at -2db

post #522 of 743 Old 11-29-2018, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9

Can I get some advice?

I have the Sony X930E TV and I also have the Sony Z9F soundbar

Currently my soundbar is connected to the X930E through HDMI 3/ARC

Then on the sound bar I have connected my Apple TV 4K to HDMI 1 and Egreat A11 to HDMI 2

I have used the same High speed hdmi cables for the whole setup.
This cable.

I am having issues with Apple TV 4K where the display doesn’t come and only comes when my soundbar is off.

My Egreat A11 display setting also changes to a lower speed connection like 4:2:2 compared to 4:4:4. My Apple TV 4K also has this problem once’s my soundbar is off.

So this means I need to replace the HDMI cable connected from the TV (HDMI 3) to the sound bar right?

Not just the cables for the Apple TV4K and Egreat A11 right?

I am thinking of buying the Belkin HDMI 4K cables as they have been recommended by a friend.

What do you think?

Change the Cable from TV to Sound Bar or just the 2 cables connected to the sound bar? Or all 3?

post #523 of 743 Old 12-02-2018, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Helll all,
Is this soundbar worth over samsung ms-650 and xf9000, for mainly music and PlayStation gaming?
post #524 of 743 Old 12-02-2018, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 31
New owner chiming in. Got this plus rear speakers got great deal was on sale at bestbuy $200 off. Also they have deal $200 off if you bundle with new TV i got a9f few weeks and they made it so got another $200 off plus had $100 in BB reward. My room is perfect for these they sound great.
post #525 of 743 Old 12-04-2018, 08:04 PM

Can I get some help with reducing the huge difference in volume with sound effects and explosions?

Having Audio DRC set to on doesn’t seem to help.
post #526 of 743 Old 12-05-2018, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 31
OK something up with these. Have random audio drop out when have devices plugged into soundbar HDMI port. Everything is fine when plug them into the TV and just use ARC for audio to soundbar. I returned and got new soundbar and same thing. Movies are 4k Remux with dolby atmos, DTYX-X...ect seem they cant handle the bandwidth also my HDMI cable audio quest chocolate and does same with other cables and yes enhanced is enabled for HDMI. Using kodi and have pass through enabled so whether i have HDMI plugged into soundbar opr TV its s till playing atmos...ect. not bid deal just weird it doing this. What also weird sometime watch whole movie without it happening then next dame does the same thing.
post #527 of 743 Old 12-05-2018, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello folks,

I'm updating my living room to 4K and I have some questions:

Anybody with a LG OLED 65C8 who has this soundbar? Is Atmos working with ARC?

Passthrough Dolby Vision is working? I'm considering this combo:

Panasonic 820 & ATV 4K -> this soundbar with suround speakers -> LG OLED 65C8

Is it possible to set speaker distance and levels manually, also for the suround speakers?

Any stability issues? Dropped connection with sub or surounds?

Our living room is quite big with high ceiling, but seating distance from TV/SB is only 3.5m, and surounds will be placed close behind the sofa.
The WAF is also very important, therefore a soundbar with some nice and small suround speakers on stands is the only option
post #528 of 743 Old 12-11-2018, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a Sony HT-ZF9 soundbar connected to an LG C8 using ARC. I'm experiencing some sound sync issues in some instances but not all.

Using the LG C8 native Netflix app, audio is synced correctly. Playing non-4K content in Plex seems to be OK. Playing 4K content in Plex there's a slight sync issue (just enough to drive me crazy if I'm watching for it). There's always a pretty significant (and much more noticeable) delay using the native YouTube app regardless of the content (delay is present in 4K and non-4K content).

After some attempts to troubleshoot, I know this:
- The AV Sync options on the soundbar and the C8 don't help because they delay the audio. I need it slightly faster, not slower;
- Switching to internal speakers more or less fixes the YouTube issue.
- Using optical audio instead of HDMI doesn't help.

Any thoughts or suggestions for correcting the sync issue?
post #529 of 743 Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just installed a new HT-Z9F between my Xbox One X and Samsung TV. Everything works great, however I noticed when I start my Xbox, moments after the Xbox starts the soundbar says "Please Wait" and then shows the home screen. It even does this if I disable the Standby Linked to TV option. Does anybody else experience this behavior?

I want it to never show soundbar home screen, and instead I want it to default to my Xbox every time which is on HDMI1, or just leave it at the input it was on previously. Is there anyway to do this? It is strange that it would give me this behavior just by turning the Xbox off and then back on. I hope there is a way to do this because it somewhat defeats the purpose of having ARC in the fact I now have to have the Sony controller out just to click the OK button when starting the Xbox.
post #530 of 743 Old 12-12-2018, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Volume Up/Down Rmeote Code

Trying to use my Tivo Bolt remote to control the VOL Up/DOWN on the Sony HT-Z9F sound bar. I was able to program the AppleTV remote, but none of the codes that I have found for Sony Sound bars seem to work with the Tivo remote. Anyone else come across the remote codes for this sound bar?

Kent A. Orso
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pana. DMB-BD35, HD-DVR - HR21-700, Pioneer SC-25 Mac Mini 2009, Drobo Storage Unit - 6TB, Rotel Line Conditioner, Klipsch Speakers
post #531 of 743 Old 12-12-2018, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just purchased this soundbar and i'm curious about some issues i'm having.

1) Does it introduce any video processing? When i run my xbox one x through this soundbar, i have a noticeable increase in input lag and it seems like the game is runny less smoothly/more choppy. Is this normal? I have it hooked up to a Sony A9F TV via eARC.

2) when initially starting the TV + speaker system, i have a "no input" screen for a few seconds, then a green flicker, and then the cable TV turns on. This whole process takes about 5 seconds from hitting the button. With no soundbar connected, it is immediate.

3) Was this speaker supposed to come with an Atmos demo disc? I thought I read that somewhere, but i don't see it in the box

4) When changing volume with my Sony A9F remote, it now shows two volumes. One on the TV screen and one on the soundbar. These volumes are different levels. Is that normal? Also changing the volume is 'slower' than before the soundbar was attached.
post #532 of 743 Old 12-12-2018, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezie View Post
Just purchased this soundbar and i'm curious about some issues i'm having.

1) Does it introduce any video processing? When i run my xbox one x through this soundbar, i have a noticeable increase in input lag and it seems like the game is runny less smoothly/more choppy. Is this normal? I have it hooked up to a Sony A9F TV via eARC.

2) when initially starting the TV + speaker system, i have a "no input" screen for a few seconds, then a green flicker, and then the cable TV turns on. This whole process takes about 5 seconds from hitting the button. With no soundbar connected, it is immediate.

3) Was this speaker supposed to come with an Atmos demo disc? I thought I read that somewhere, but i don't see it in the box

4) When changing volume with my Sony A9F remote, it now shows two volumes. One on the TV screen and one on the soundbar. These volumes are different levels. Is that normal? Also changing the volume is 'slower' than before the soundbar was attached.

*** Go into sound bar settings and set HDMI to enhanced if you haven't already. Same w TV.

1) I have the same issue with Sony A8F oled. I turned the TV to game mode and its fine now. Best description I can give is that the controls feel like they are fighting against you. Primarily in cinema mode playing a FPS....it's unplayable.When the Xbox is plugged into TV via HDMI it does not cause this, but then we lose streaming atmos. There was a new SW update 1.818 that got pushed like 10 min ago. So curious what it fixes or enhances. Was hoping for equalizer. Don't see any update info.

My only complaint w this soundbar is voices in alot of DTS Master and 2.0 channel videos is low. I was watching Batman Begins 4k and voices were all whispers yet explosions wake the neighbors. It's frustrating. I had a polk magnify max that was much better w voices that I returned for this.

3) Yes. I had disc in my box.

Also for anyone wondering...the vertical-s gives a great sound field...combined with the rear speakers u occasionally get a sense of over head but it's primarily vertical.

The rear speakers seem more for ambieance than an actual 5.1 imo. Sometimes unless there's explosions I wonder if they are on. Though in Batman Begins the gunshot in the alley scared the crap outta me as it felt like it zipped past my head. Granted they rears r not in a great place...leaning on the couch 2-3 ft from me. Still im not overly impressed by them, but does add some immersion.

Lastly, I've had this setup for over a week now and have not experienced any connection issues with the sub or rears. It's working flawlessly.

Sorry for the odd sentences, not at my pc. Trying to type in tablet browser that hates displaying avsforums lol.

Last edited by Vashek19; 12-12-2018 at 10:46 PM.
post #533 of 743 Old 12-13-2018, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinJ View Post
I just installed a new HT-Z9F between my Xbox One X and Samsung TV. Everything works great, however I noticed when I start my Xbox, moments after the Xbox starts the soundbar says "Please Wait" and then shows the home screen. It even does this if I disable the Standby Linked to TV option. Does anybody else experience this behavior?

I want it to never show soundbar home screen, and instead I want it to default to my Xbox every time which is on HDMI1, or just leave it at the input it was on previously. Is there anyway to do this? It is strange that it would give me this behavior just by turning the Xbox off and then back on. I hope there is a way to do this because it somewhat defeats the purpose of having ARC in the fact I now have to have the Sony controller out just to click the OK button when starting the Xbox.
I have noticed that if I disable "Control for HDMI" the problem goes away - the soundbar no longer goes to the Home screen shortly after the TV starts. However this also means the TV can no longer control the audio on the soundbar over HDMI (over ARC?). Fortunately for me I can get the Xbox to control the audio on the soundbar via IR. Not ideal but it solves this problem.

This makes me wonder if its actually the TV initiating the Home screen, and not the HT-Z9F. In other words, when the TV turns on, it sends some command over ARC to go to the audio source selector screen. For the record, I have a Samsung UN82NU8000. The TV menu does not have any ability to control how it operates over ARC.

It would be nice if somebody out there would confirm if they are using ARC and the soundbar does or does not go to Home when the TV starts.
post #534 of 743 Old 12-14-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinJ View Post

It would be nice if somebody out there would confirm if they are using ARC and the soundbar does or does not go to Home when the TV starts.
I am connected Xbox One to HT-Z9F via hdmi, and then Z9F to Sony A8F oled via ARC. Mine does not go to soundbar homescreen at all. I have to press "home" on the remote to launch it.

EDIT. On the Sony A8F it lists the Z9F as a "Player" at the top of the inputs in a separate list w my amazon firestick. If I select it as a "player" instead of switching it to HDMI 3/ARC input the home screen shows up.

Maybe check that yours isnt doing the same? If so just switch it to the actual hdmi input in the list. Im sure not every tv us alike. I noticed Sony said in software update that they added more compatibility with various TVs. Maybe just gotta wait?

Last edited by Vashek19; 12-14-2018 at 12:56 AM.
post #535 of 743 Old 12-14-2018, 01:04 AM

Watching Fellowship of the Ring which is DTS Master it sounds fantastic. Voices are clear, maybe Batman Begins 4k w DTS Master was just recorded quiet?

Im new to the whole audio thing.
post #536 of 743 Old 12-14-2018, 01:07 AM

Watching Fellowship of the Ring which is DTS Master it sounds fantastic. Voices are clear, maybe Batman Begins 4k w DTS Master was just recorded quiet?

Im new to the audio thing. I did turn auto volume on in settings though. Ill have to test.
post #537 of 743 Old 12-14-2018, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Firmware Update

For those of you who manually update the Soundbar, there is a Firmware update v1.818

Benefits and improvements from the latest update:
Fixes an issue where a sound is heard when exiting some PlayStation®4 games
post #538 of 743 Old 12-14-2018, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Here is my experience with the Sony HT-Z9F soundbar...

I use the soundbar only for satellite TV viewing. I have a home theater surround sound system for serious viewing such as HBO, Netflix via Apple TV and Blu-ray disc movies. The HDMI output on my satellite receiver, Apple TV and Blu-ray player goes to my McIntosh A/V Control Center. The Mac’s HDMI out port goes to the TV. The TV’s HDMI ARC goes to the soundbar’s HDMI ARC.

The first HT-Z9F I bought could not recognize HDMI so I got no audio at all. After spending 2 hours on the phone with Sony Support tech and after trying various troubleshooting steps, we determined the unit was defective and needed to be returned.

The second soundbar immediately worked perfectly. It has good sound quality for a soundbar and is much better than my Yamaha soundbar. It worked great for a few days but unfortunately last night when I turned on the TV the soundbar would not play any audio. The soundbar was getting power and the Home menu worked so I knew the HDMI ARC was at least partially functioning but I could not get any audio sound. I tried numerous troubleshooting reset steps such as unplugging the HDMI and the power to no avail. I plugged in an optical audio cable from the TV to the soundbar and I get normal audio. I left the HDMI ARC cable plugged in so I get all that functionality, such as, auto turn on/off with the TV, etc., but the only way to get sound is from the optical audio cable. The sound quality is the same and at least now I do not have any audio voice sync issues.

All the audio/video reps I have spoken with about this say HDMI ARC is a very problematic system and most units using it have at least occasional handshake problems with it. Many soundbars do not offer an HDMI option because of all the associated problems with it.

I suggest for those who are having problems with the HDMI ARC on this soundbar to use an optical audio cable in addition to the HDMI ARC.

Last edited by Spleen; 12-14-2018 at 07:19 AM.
post #539 of 743 Old 12-14-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
For those of you who manually update the Soundbar, there is a Firmware update v1.818

Benefits and improvements from the latest update:

Fixes an issue where a sound is heard when exiting some PlayStation4 games

Seems lackluster
But hey, glad they are continuing with FW updates....

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN

Last edited by bodean; 12-14-2018 at 03:49 PM.
post #540 of 743 Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 AM
jrh

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by korso623 View Post
Trying to use my Tivo Bolt remote to control the VOL Up/DOWN on the Sony HT-Z9F sound bar. I was able to program the AppleTV remote, but none of the codes that I have found for Sony Sound bars seem to work with the Tivo remote. Anyone else come across the remote codes for this sound bar?
You might try codes for Sony DVD players. As for myself, I have a universal remote and "taught" the soundbar's remote buttons to it. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page