Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9 - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

post #541 of 743 Old 12-17-2018, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm now having some audio/video sync issues. This soundbar, while sounding pretty good, has been a big headache.

It seems like the video is ahead of the audio, and the option for fixing AV sync on this unit only includes a positive ms offset of 25 to 300 ms, in increments of 25. I need some negative offset to help here. This happens on the apps (netflix, plex) but not on my cable box (which i rarely watch anyway).

I reset back to factory settings on the soundbar but it didn't change the sync issue. I currently have my cable box and xbox one x connected via HDMI to the soundbar.

I'm really let down that this soundbar, at $800, seems to work so poorly with my Sony A9F TV. They are both Sony products!! Many built-in apps have trouble passing through lossless audio to the receiver as well, so i'm not even able to get Atmos unless a few very specific requirements are met.

I'm heavily leaning towards returning it and just hooking up my old Samsung soundbar via the optical cable.

Last edited by mbeezie; 12-17-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 743 Old 12-17-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo23019 View Post
OK something up with these. Have random audio drop out when have devices plugged into soundbar HDMI port. Everything is fine when plug them into the TV and just use ARC for audio to soundbar. I returned and got new soundbar and same thing. Movies are 4k Remux with dolby atmos, DTYX-X...ect seem they cant handle the bandwidth also my HDMI cable audio quest chocolate and does same with other cables and yes enhanced is enabled for HDMI. Using kodi and have pass through enabled so whether i have HDMI plugged into soundbar opr TV its s till playing atmos...ect. not bid deal just weird it doing this. What also weird sometime watch whole movie without it happening then next dame does the same thing.
Did you ever fix this? I'm also having constant audio drop outs. Not just the sub (even with the sub powered down, and just the soundbar going, I still get them).

My setup:

Cable box into Z9F (HDMI 1)
Xbox One X into Z9F (HDMI 2)
Z9F HDMI out into Sony A9F TV (HDMI3 eARC)
Wired LAN cable into Z9F

These speakers sound great, but i'm having several issues, and I am getting the feeling that they wouldn't exist if not for the 'wireless' nature of this system. I've toggled RF ON and Off, and it doesn't help. Audio drop outs are occurring approximately 1-2 times per minute.

I've tried resetting to factory defaults twice, but it's still happening :\
post #543 of 743 Old 12-17-2018, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezie View Post
I'm now having some audio/video sync issues. This soundbar, while sounding pretty good, has been a big headache.

It seems like the video is ahead of the audio, and the option for fixing AV sync on this unit only includes a positive ms offset of 25 to 300 ms, in increments of 25. I need some negative offset to help here. This happens on the apps (netflix, plex) but not on my cable box (which i rarely watch anyway).

I reset back to factory settings on the soundbar but it didn't change the sync issue. I currently have my cable box and xbox one x connected via HDMI to the soundbar.

I'm really let down that this soundbar, at $800, seems to work so poorly with my Sony A9F TV. They are both Sony products!! Many built-in apps have trouble passing through lossless audio to the receiver as well, so i'm not even able to get Atmos unless a few very specific requirements are met.

I'm heavily leaning towards returning it and just hooking up my old Samsung soundbar via the optical cable.
Also experiencing AV sync issues that I haven't been able to resolve. I'm using it with an LG C8. The TV's Netflix app fine, Plex is a little off depending on the source, and YouTube is a complete mess. I can only watch YouTube via the TV's internal speakers because the sync is so bad.

Same issue: need negative values on the sync adjustment. The sync settings on the TV and sound bar only offer positive values.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 743 Old 12-17-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XopherTaylor View Post
Also experiencing AV sync issues that I haven't been able to resolve. I'm using it with an LG C8. The TV's Netflix app fine, Plex is a little off depending on the source, and YouTube is a complete mess. I can only watch YouTube via the TV's internal speakers because the sync is so bad.

Same issue: need negative values on the sync adjustment. The sync settings on the TV and sound bar only offer positive values.

It’s going back to Best Buy. Just too many issues to justify keeping it.
post #545 of 743 Old 12-18-2018, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Any way to force 2.1 content to 5.1 on soundbar? Watching Hulu tv and would love shows to be forced into 5.1.
post #546 of 743 Old 12-18-2018, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashek19 View Post
Any way to force 2.1 content to 5.1 on soundbar? Watching Hulu tv and would love shows to be forced into 5.1.
The Vertical Surround feature should upmix even 2 channel into surround.
post #547 of 743 Old 12-23-2018, 08:39 PM

Sound dropouts EXACTLY at 5 minute intervals

I have been having audio-only dropouts that occur via both HDMI and optical inputs that occur exactly at 5min intervals for the past 30 days. Has anyone else had this problem, or can just suggest things to try?

This occurs regardless of the source (Roku streaming stick, DirecTv box, ARC, optical, direct HDMI 1 or 2) and has occurred with multiple firmware versions including the latest 1.818.

Last edited by skizye; 12-23-2018 at 09:20 PM.
post #548 of 743 Old 12-23-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizye View Post
I have been having audio-only dropouts that occur via both HDMI and optical inputs that occur exactly at 5min intervals. Has anyone else had this problem, or can just suggest things to try?
I was having the exact same issue this evening watching Netflix. I unplugged the sound bar for a bit while I was doing other things. I watched Plex the rest of the evening so unsure if it was limited to Netflix. I'll report back if it happens again.

post #549 of 743 Old 12-26-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizye View Post
I have been having audio-only dropouts that occur via both HDMI and optical inputs that occur exactly at 5min intervals for the past 30 days. Has anyone else had this problem, or can just suggest things to try?

This occurs regardless of the source (Roku streaming stick, DirecTv box, ARC, optical, direct HDMI 1 or 2) and has occurred with multiple firmware versions including the latest 1.818.
This would happen to me randomly for hours at a time, then it would stop, then reappear. I gave up trying to figure out how to make it work. Sounded great when it did work right, but i found it really unreliable and returned it.
post #550 of 743 Old 12-28-2018, 03:56 PM

I just got myself the rear speakers. Should I leave the Vertical Surround on or turn it off?
post #551 of 743 Old 12-29-2018, 08:51 AM
jrh

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd666 View Post
I just got myself the rear speakers. Should I leave the Vertical Surround on or turn it off?
I've decided to leave Vertical Surround on. I think I also generally prefer to use Auto Sound. I watch a lot of old movies on TCM, and Auto Sound seems to do a better job on dialogue clearness than if I use Cinema.

[BTW, admins: if this reply works, the only way I found that would let me post a reply was to click on Quote. I couldn't just type in the Quick Reply box and click Submit Reply, as I kept getting Expired Token messages. I tried that 7 times, even reloading the page in between every time per Expired Token page instructions. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.]
post #552 of 743 Old 01-02-2019, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello all. I’m seriously thinking of picking up the HT-Z9F with the wireless surrounds as well. I currently have an old Sony theater in a box (sony DAV-HDX589W) which I’ve had forever and works fine. I’ve read all the reviews for the sound bar and the majority of them are quite favorable and this seems like it would be a nice step up for me. I have a pretty basic set up at home and was just wondering if I am going to encounter any issues before hand. I’m planning on plugging my Xfinity X1 box into HDMI 1, my Apple TV (not 4K but the model just before that) into HDMI 2 and then take the HDMI out from the sound bar into my Vizio TV which has arc. I won’t be using any of the streaming apps on the TV itself. Only the ones on the Xfinity X1 box and the Apple TV. Does anyone see any potential problems or snags I might encounter with this particular set up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #553 of 743 Old 01-03-2019, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post
Hello all. I’m seriously thinking of picking up the HT-Z9F with the wireless surrounds as well. I currently have an old Sony theater in a box (sony DAV-HDX589W) which I’ve had forever and works fine. I’ve read all the reviews for the sound bar and the majority of them are quite favorable and this seems like it would be a nice step up for me. I have a pretty basic set up at home and was just wondering if I am going to encounter any issues before hand. I’m planning on plugging my Xfinity X1 box into HDMI 1, my Apple TV (not 4K but the model just before that) into HDMI 2 and then take the HDMI out from the sound bar into my Vizio TV which has arc. I won’t be using any of the streaming apps on the TV itself. Only the ones on the Xfinity X1 box and the Apple TV. Does anyone see any potential problems or snags I might encounter with this particular set up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Looks simple and should work well. Since you are only using 2 inputs and not using the TV apps there is no real need for ARC in your case (just pointing that out, however you should probably hook it to the ARC input).
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #554 of 743 Old 01-03-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Looks simple and should work well. Since you are only using 2 inputs and not using the TV apps there is no real need for ARC in your case (just pointing that out, however you should probably hook it to the ARC input).
Gerry
Does it need to be hooked up to the arc input on the tv in order to see the soundbar menu and settings or will that appear on any hdmi input?

Btw, I really can’t use any of the apps on the tv anyway because there is a noticeable audio sync issue that’s been driving me crazy since I bought the tv.

Last edited by itsjustmeee; 01-03-2019 at 09:12 AM.
post #555 of 743 Old 01-03-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post
Does it need to be hooked up to the arc input on the tv in order to see the soundbar menu and settings or will that appear on any hdmi input?

Btw, I really can’t use any of the apps on the tv anyway because there is a noticeable audio sync issue that’s been driving me crazy since I bought the tv.
No, when you hit the HOME button on the remote the menu will go out over HDMI to whatever input you are using on the TV. It does not have to be ARC as that is used for (audio return channel).
Gerry

ps: I know you have the regular ATV (non 4K) and assume your cable box is not 4K either. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that if your TV is a 4K TV and for instance you decided to upgrade to the ATV4K so you could watch 4K then you would have to use a "full bandwidth" HDMI input on your TV. Just a thought for down the road...

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K

Last edited by ggw2000; 01-03-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Info
post #556 of 743 Old 01-03-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Have to say I'm pretty impressed by the little Z9F. I used to have the HT-ST5000 and I find the overall presentation of the Z9F to be pretty close. The Atmos effect is actually a lot more noticeable in my room with the Z9F than the ST5000. Watched Blade Runner 2049 in DV+Atmos last night and it sounded much larger than you'd think. I've had it for a few months and haven't had any real issues with it, save for the occasional ARC/no sound hiccup which is fixed by a power cycle. Initially I did have lip-sync issues when I changed from an older Sony TV (X850B) to a newer set (Z9D), but a soft reset on the TV took care of it.
jb442386 likes this.

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500|Sonos Connect|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|Sony HT-Z9F|ATV 4K|Panasonic UB900
post #557 of 743 Old 01-04-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Have to say I'm pretty impressed by the little Z9F. I used to have the HT-ST5000 and I find the overall presentation of the Z9F to be pretty close. The Atmos effect is actually a lot more noticeable in my room with the Z9F than the ST5000. Watched Blade Runner 2049 in DV+Atmos last night and it sounded much larger than you'd think. I've had it for a few months and haven't had any real issues with it, save for the occasional ARC/no sound hiccup which is fixed by a power cycle. Initially I did have lip-sync issues when I changed from an older Sony TV (X850B) to a newer set (Z9D), but a soft reset on the TV took care of it.
Are you using the hdmi audio out of your tv when you were hearing the sync issues? My Visio tv has a noticeable (and unfixable) problem with that. My sound can not go through the tv and then to any amp/receiver. It’s really annoying and one of the reasons why I want to upgrade.
post #558 of 743 Old 01-04-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
What's your impression on the rear speakers? Are they worth adding? Is there a noticeable difference with them?

post #559 of 743 Old 01-04-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XopherTaylor View Post
Quote:
What's your impression on the rear speakers? Are they worth adding? Is there a noticeable difference with them?

Yeah they’re definitely worth it. They really help fill up the room. I’ve noticed the biggest improvement in video games.
XopherTaylor likes this.
post #560 of 743 Old 01-05-2019, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Yeah they’re definitely worth it. They really help fill up the room. I’ve noticed the biggest improvement in video games.
Is anyone having video dropouts on the ht-z9f with the apple tv 4k when you power on the tv? I have a Sony z9d tv set and the sound bar is connected via ARC. When I connect the Apple TV directly to one of the hdmis on the z9d, I don't have any issues. However, when its connected via ARC on the ht-z9f sound bar(hdmi passthrough), the sound bar switches between tv and external speakers until it can find a decent connection when the tv is first turned on. Is anyone having these problems? This is really frustrating. I notice it also happens with Fire tv stick 4k, which is also connected the sound bar's hdmi input.
post #561 of 743 Old 01-05-2019, 12:54 PM

I’m having “The Apple TV is having trouble maintaining a stable HDMI connection” issues. Mostly happens soon after I turn on the TV or when switching from another HDMI input. I have both my hdmis directly on the soundbar though. Im considering switching to one of the inputs of the TV
and living with the supposed drop in sound quality.
post #562 of 743 Old 01-07-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone else think the voices for some content is greatly overpowered by everything else or that the vocals in general are not as loud as the other sounds? I honestly feel like vocals/voices get drown out and just arent clear/loud enough even when voice is set to 2. Would there be anything I could be missing with this bar?
post #563 of 743 Old 01-09-2019, 12:36 PM
jrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne123 View Post
Does anyone else think the voices for some content is greatly overpowered by everything else or that the vocals in general are not as loud as the other sounds? I honestly feel like vocals/voices get drown out and just arent clear/loud enough even when voice is set to 2. Would there be anything I could be missing with this bar?
Check the distances in setup to see that they're correct. I've found that the dialogue sounds much clearer than it did with my much pricier 5.1 system (can't use it in this house). I also tend to use Auto Sound, as it seems to use the best mode for the source. YMMV.
post #564 of 743 Old 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh View Post
Check the distances in setup to see that they're correct. I've found that the dialogue sounds much clearer than it did with my much pricier 5.1 system (can't use it in this house). I also tend to use Auto Sound, as it seems to use the best mode for the source. YMMV.
I do have it set to the exact distance. Should I change it to project further out maybe, like put in that Im sitting farther away than I actually am?
post #565 of 743 Old 01-11-2019, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Subscribed
post #566 of 743 Old 01-11-2019, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Interesting to read this. I have the Z9f still in the box and saw the ST5000 on massdrop for just a little more than I paid for the Z9f. Ive been going back and forth on which to get.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #567 of 743 Old 01-11-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post
Interesting to read this. I have the Z9f still in the box and saw the ST5000 on massdrop for just a little more than I paid for the Z9f. Ive been going back and forth on which to get.
To be honest I haven't heard the ST-5000. I do own the Z9f and they do sound great. The one advantage I would think about is having the option to add rear speakers. I use the rear speakers and they do add another dimension to the sound. Again though, I am unfamiliar with the ST-5000 sound stage.

Either way, you will end up with an awesome product.
Good Luck.
post #568 of 743 Old 01-11-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne123 View Post
I have zero problems with voices being clear on this bar.

What are you using as the audio source? Mind posting a screenshot of your settings?
post #569 of 743 Old 01-11-2019, 04:31 PM

This isn't a question so much as a vent. But if anyone has a solution ...

After spending in the neighborhood of $1,500 for the Z9F and Rears plus a Sony UPB-X800 Blu-ray player I have discovered I cannot play either the SACD or DVD-Audio discs for which I specifically bought the X800.

Turns out (page 76 of the Z9F manual): The HDMI IN 1 and 2 jacks do not support audio format that contains copy protections, such as Super Audio CD or DVD-Audio. (Discovered this, of course, after a couple of hours of fiddling with the settings of both.)

Well, that's frickin' great. One Sony product is incompatible with another? What the hell?

So, I think, maybe I can work around this if I use a digital connection. Nope. Blu-ray player has only coaxial digital OUT, and the SB has only optical IN.

This is insane.
post #570 of 743 Old 01-17-2019, 07:36 AM
jrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgibby View Post
This isn't a question so much as a vent. But if anyone has a solution ...

After spending in the neighborhood of $1,500 for the Z9F and Rears plus a Sony UPB-X800 Blu-ray player I have discovered I cannot play either the SACD or DVD-Audio discs for which I specifically bought the X800.

Turns out (page 76 of the Z9F manual): The HDMI IN 1 and 2 jacks do not support audio format that contains copy protections, such as Super Audio CD or DVD-Audio. (Discovered this, of course, after a couple of hours of fiddling with the settings of both.)

Well, that's frickin' great. One Sony product is incompatible with another? What the hell?

So, I think, maybe I can work around this if I use a digital connection. Nope. Blu-ray player has only coaxial digital OUT, and the SB has only optical IN.

This is insane.
There's probably a coaxial-optical audio converter available that can solve your problem. Check Amazon, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page