Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9 - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

post #691 of 734 Old 06-27-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
@Dentifrice , Audio DRC is the Digital Range Compression, I think. It keeps the sound levels from having large disparities so that say whispers and then explosions aren't as vastly different.

If you haven't already, you may want to look at the manual as it does cover a lot of things. You just may not prefer all of their recommendations.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...ht-z9f#manuals

thanks. I disabled it. Now I think I'm gonna stay with dolby speaker virtualizer. When in Sound mode with Vertical S, depending of the movie, there is sometimes tin can sound for some characters talking or some ambiant sound. I find it too distractive.

I wonder what people here do most. I'll need to read some comments back in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 734 Old 06-27-2019, 10:10 AM

another question. On my Sony X950G tv, in Digital out settings, I can set Auto1, Auto2 and PCM. I'm trying to understand what they do. I read the manual (no real explanation), read some forums, etc.. Can't get a concret answer.

My goal is to be sure the audio is sent over eARC (which I enabled) without modification. I'm talking about the devices connected to my tv directly, no in the soundbar.
post #693 of 734 Old 06-27-2019, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentifrice View Post
another question. On my Sony X950G tv, in Digital out settings, I can set Auto1, Auto2 and PCM. I'm trying to understand what they do. I read the manual (no real explanation), read some forums, etc.. Can't get a concret answer.

My goal is to be sure the audio is sent over eARC (which I enabled) without modification. I'm talking about the devices connected to my tv directly, no in the soundbar.

I would suggest checking in the 950G thread on that one.
Dentifrice likes this.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 734 Old 06-27-2019, 02:25 PM

The most awesome thing so far si games with xbox one x. I don't even have the rear speakers yet and damn it's great. I'm playing NHL 19 and I hear the crowd like I'm here.
post #695 of 734 Old 06-27-2019, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

On this page in the Sony forums a poster - Dead-Sync - gives a very good explanation and suggestion for those settings. Expand the posts written by that person. You should find it helpful.

https://us.community.sony.com/s/ques...language=en_US
post #696 of 734 Old 06-27-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasbike View Post
On this page in the Sony forums a poster - Dead-Sync - gives a very good explanation and suggestion for those settings. Expand the posts written by that person. You should find it helpful.

https://us.community.sony.com/s/ques...language=en_US

Wow thanks ! Now I understand
post #697 of 734 Old 06-27-2019, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone by any means know how to activate the Alexa support?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #698 of 734 Old 06-29-2019, 08:28 AM

I did some tests and I’m not so sure about the Virtual S.

Does anyone like this ? The effect is good but the sound quality isn’t very good IMO. Sounds a little like tin can. « Sound mode on » without Virtual S. is good but when enabled...not so sure.

I like the Dolby speaker virtualization way better but I don’t find a lot of documentation about all this.

What are the Pros and Cons of both ? I’m currently running only on the soundbar. The rear speakers will arrive next week.

When do we use all this ? Does having rear speakers change anything in the setting ?

How does choosing Dolby virtualizer affect DTX or DTX:X content ?

Last edited by Dentifrice; 06-29-2019 at 09:19 AM.
post #699 of 734 Old 06-30-2019, 04:46 AM

Liked: 0
VUDU on AppleTV Not Showing Atmos

I have an AppleTV connected to my HT-ZF9. Movies on iTunes show Atmos when I press display. The same movie on Vudu shows LPCM 5.1 48Hz+Vertical Surround Engine NeuralX. Same exact equipment, only the Vudu app vs. iTunes on AppleTV is the difference. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
post #700 of 734 Old 06-30-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnow13 View Post
I have an AppleTV connected to my HT-ZF9. Movies on iTunes show Atmos when I press display. The same movie on Vudu shows LPCM 5.1 48Hz+Vertical Surround Engine NeuralX. Same exact equipment, only the Vudu app vs. iTunes on AppleTV is the difference. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I think the only apps supporting atmos are itunes and netflix on apple tv
post #701 of 734 Old 07-01-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
I think the only apps supporting atmos are itunes and netflix on apple tv

You might be right, but CNET shows that AppleTV supports Atmos on VUDU in this article from February:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-s...du-and-amazon/

Does anyone else get Atmos from the VUDU app on AppleTV on the Sony?
post #702 of 734 Old 07-01-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
You might be right, but CNET shows that AppleTV supports Atmos on VUDU in this article from February:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-s...du-and-amazon/

Does anyone else get Atmos from the VUDU app on AppleTV on the Sony?
VUDU works fine with ATMOS on the ATV4K.....
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #703 of 734 Old 07-02-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
VUDU works fine with ATMOS on the ATV4K.....
Gerry

How do you know? When you press "Display" on the soundbar remote, does it show Atmos like it does for iTunes or Netflix?

Thanks.
post #704 of 734 Old 07-02-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do you know? When you press "Display" on the soundbar remote, does it show Atmos like it does for iTunes or Netflix?

Thanks.
Yes... On soundbar display...

post #705 of 734 Old 07-02-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Yes... On soundbar display...

Hmm. I tried it with both Crimes of Grindenwald and Mad Max Fury Road. Both give me Atmos on iTunes, no problem. With Vudu, neither display Atmos. The description for both of these movies in Vudu says they have Atmos. Same exact equipment, only the app on AppleTV is different. Anyone have any thoughts?
post #706 of 734 Old 07-02-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm. I tried it with both Crimes of Grindenwald and Mad Max Fury Road. Both give me Atmos on iTunes, no problem. With Vudu, neither display Atmos. The description for both of these movies in Vudu says they have Atmos. Same exact equipment, only the app on AppleTV is different. Anyone have any thoughts?
Do you "own" the UHD copy in VUDU? You will not get ATMOS if you own the HDX version..
Gerry

post #707 of 734 Old 07-02-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Do you "own" the UHD copy in VUDU? You will not get ATMOS if you own the HDX version..
Gerry

Good thought, but when I check the Vudu website for MyVudu, it says that I own the UHD versions of both of these movies.
post #708 of 734 Old 07-02-2019, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I dont know what i did, but my tv does not recognize my rear speakers. It will when i play my external hdd but on TV it isnt working.
The sound plays on the soundbar, but only the soundbar, not the rears or subwoofer.

When i use the soundbar remote, it will not recognize any sound buttons. Says "not use". All my wireless connections are connected.

Ive got my HDMI plugged into HDMI 3 Arc. Its not recognizing on my audio settings. It shows HDMI 1 & 2 only

I did a tv update last week on my bravia x950 could this have screwed it up?
post #709 of 734 Old 07-03-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitie View Post
I dont know what i did, but my tv does not recognize my rear speakers. It will when i play my external hdd but on TV it isnt working.
The sound plays on the soundbar, but only the soundbar, not the rears or subwoofer.

When i use the soundbar remote, it will not recognize any sound buttons. Says "not use". All my wireless connections are connected.

Ive got my HDMI plugged into HDMI 3 Arc. Its not recognizing on my audio settings. It shows HDMI 1 & 2 only

I did a tv update last week on my bravia x950 could this have screwed it up?

"Not in Use" generally indicates that you turned off the sound processing in the advanced selections and selected the Dolby processing or that only a 2.1 signal is being received by the soundbar so there is nothing to process (most likely the case since no sound to rear or subs). It is possible that the TV is now set to "Stereo" in some fashion. I assume the outside source is connected directly to the soundbar so it doesn't have that issue.

You may need to do a reset on the TV and/or the soundbar after you check your settings, especially after an update on either.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #710 of 734 Old 07-03-2019, 03:18 PM

What would be the best way to configure db levels of each devices ? I want to be sure everything is optimize.

Do you need a sound meter or a cellphone with an app can do that ? Any tutorials ?
post #711 of 734 Old 07-06-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
LG C9 eARC to Sony z9F eARC lip sync issue?

I set up my Sony z9F soundbar and downloaded the firmware update and turned on the eARC in its settings, and connected it to my C9 via eARC and set the C9 HDMI to eARC. Functionality of the remote is fine. I noted some lip sync delay in Charter Spectrum TV and Netflix. I changed the HDMI setting from auto to pass through and it seemed better. I will have to check further with more TV sources (set top box and internal apps, as I don’t have other external sources right now) whether it is gone or just better.

I am confused. If C9 has eARC and Sony z9F has eARC, and both eARC’s are set on, wasn’t an eARC to eARC connection supposed to solve issues such as audio delay/lip sync problems as a mandatory part of the format?

Also, naively, should the HDMI setting on the C9 be on auto or pass through? Or is there not a good answer for that one.
post #712 of 734 Old 07-10-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon F View Post
No. Vert S. applies a separate Virtualization to the mix that pushes the soundscape vertically to mimic or re-create the channels normally ceiling mounted.

Standard et al. are sound profiles that affect the mix differently In how they translate the coded audio from the source. They work independently. You can flip on Vert. S to add that extra layer freely with them.

I suggest going into advanced settings and switching sound mode from ‘on’ to ‘Dolby Virtualization’. This turns off -all- the virtual mixing stuff and provides the default source signal without any mucking around. I pretty much keep it on this setting myself and find it’s easily the most accurate audio out of the bar.

Just be mindful it shuts off access to vert S. and all the other audio profiles(like cinema, standard, etc). You have to switch it back in advanced settings to use those again, but I don’t think you’ll want to...

I just wanted to thank you for this info and highlight it, after purchasing a HT-ZF9 I was instantly regretting it, the sound was worse than my LG SK5 soundbar in stereo mode.

Setting sound mode to "Dolby Virtualization" undid the terrible audio mixing Sony selected out of the box, its so bizarre that unaltered audio output is named Dolby virtualization. Audio on my AppleTV and PS4 sounded so much better afterwords especially voices which were getting drowned out.

On a side note I noticed my LG B7 input manager/list can detect the AppleTV plugged into port 1 on the ZF9 but not the TV STB on port 2, must be a HDMI-CEC thing as the set top box does not support it. First time I've seen that actually work across LG and Samsung soundbars.
post #713 of 734 Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgrenley View Post
I set up my Sony z9F soundbar and downloaded the firmware update and turned on the eARC in its settings, and connected it to my C9 via eARC and set the C9 HDMI to eARC. Functionality of the remote is fine. I noted some lip sync delay in Charter Spectrum TV and Netflix. I changed the HDMI setting from auto to pass through and it seemed better. I will have to check further with more TV sources (set top box and internal apps, as I don’t have other external sources right now) whether it is gone or just better.

I am confused. If C9 has eARC and Sony z9F has eARC, and both eARC’s are set on, wasn’t an eARC to eARC connection supposed to solve issues such as audio delay/lip sync problems as a mandatory part of the format?

Also, naively, should the HDMI setting on the C9 be on auto or pass through? Or is there not a good answer for that one.

For eARC it should be set to pass-through.

eARC is supposed to fix these issues but either that's a false hope of HDMI org or it's buggy LG software, until more eARC TV's come onto the market there isn't much to compare against. LG is saying some audio improvements are coming in next firmware update according to those who have contacted LG.

See 9 series OLED eARC/ARC info thread & the known issues thread.
post #714 of 734 Old 07-14-2019, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I did some tests and I’m not so sure about the Virtual S.

Does anyone like this ? The effect is good but the sound quality isn’t very good IMO. Sounds a little like tin can. « Sound mode on » without Virtual S. is good but when enabled...not so sure.

I like the Dolby speaker virtualization way better but I don’t find a lot of documentation about all this.

What are the Pros and Cons of both ? I’m currently running only on the soundbar. The rear speakers will arrive next week.

When do we use all this ? Does having rear speakers change anything in the setting ?

How does choosing Dolby virtualizer affect DTX or DTX:X content ?
What I've learned so far (anyone correct me if I am wrong):

Sound mode on: this is Sony's post processing setting. This is the only sound setting on the SB that will work with Virtual S, even when playing ATMOS content. The Virtual S thingy is meant to simulate a vertical (frontal mainly) effect to get that pseudo-atmos feeling without having phyisical upfiring speakers or speakers mounted on the cealling.

Pros of sound mode:
- Access to Vertical S and all the other modes (cinema, music, standard, etc).
- Virtual surround that, even though it can be a bit limited sometimes (and dependable of your room shape), does an interesting and entertaining job

Cons of sound mode:
- All the proccessing Sony adds to the audio in their mix can sound a bit off sometimes. It's hard to explain, but I do have experienced from time to time the little can sound some others have mentioned. Plus, with this setting I feel like voices are more prompt to get lost in the mix when there's a lot going on (even when using the combo standard + voice up1).

Dolby speaker virtualizer: as others have said, this setting shutts off completely all the post processing and gives you the most accurate sound out of the bar, without any mocking around.

Pros:
- More balance mix, accurate sound and slightly louder and clear voices.

Cons:
- All Sony's options except for voice or night mode are disabled. This means you cannot use either Vertical S (not even while watching ATMOS content) or the other modes (cinema, music, standard, etc).
- I understand that Sony's virtual surround and vertical S are not perfect, but at least they added for me a nice effect (or flavour) to the sound. With the Dolby setting all this is gone and I feel like the SB's soundstage gets a bit more limited. It feels more a 3.1 sound system, which I guess it's good because that's what this SB is at heart, but it still feels like you are missing out on nice features (mainly vertical S).
- UPDATE: Yesterday I watched Stranger Things 3 with this setting (Dolby speaker virtualizer) and I can confirm that voices still get lost when there's a lot going on audio-wise. It does not happen as often as with Sony's setting, but it's still annoying nonetheless.

To sum it up: In my personal opinion, Dolby speaker virtualizer sounds better than Sony's setting for games, but for movies and TV shows I am not entirely convinced. I kind of get a bit dissapointed when selecting it over Sony's because I really like the vertical S and the extra virtual surround effects. If I am not using those, to be honest it kind of feels like defeating the purpose of the bar (the vertical S was a big selling point for me and possibly a reason for Sony to increase the SB price). On top of that, the issue with the voices is also a big concern for me. I have until the 20th to decide whether I want to keep the SB, so I will keep testing it in the upcoming days and make a decision, but right now I am slightly dissapointed.

Regarding the voice clarity issues: Have you guys run into similar problems or it's just me? Does the voice clarity situation improve in any way with the rear speakers?

Cheers!
post #715 of 734 Old 07-14-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan López View Post

Sound mode on: this is Sony's post processing setting. This is the only sound setting on the SB that will work with Virtual S, even when playing ATMOS content. The Virtual S thingy is meant to simulate a vertical (frontal mainly) effect to get that pseudo-atmos feeling without having phyisical upfiring speakers or speakers mounted on the cealling.

Pros of sound mode:
- Virtual surround that, even though it can be a bit limited sometimes (and dependable of your room shape), does an interesting and entertaining job

Cons of sound mode:
- All the proccessing Sony adds to the audio in their mix can sound a bit off sometimes. It's hard to explain, but I do have experienced from time to time the little can sound some others have mentioned. Plus, with this setting I feel like voices are more prompt to get lost in the mix when there's a lot going on (even when using the combo standard + voice up1).

Dolby speaker virtualizer: as others have said, this setting shutts off completely all the post processing and gives you the most accurate sound out of the bar, without any mocking around.

Pros:

Cons:
- All Sony's options except for voice or night mode are disabled. This means you cannot use either Vertical S (not even while watching ATMOS content) or the other modes (cinema, music, standard, etc).
- I understand that Sony's virtual surround and vertical S are not perfect, but at least they added for me a nice effect (or flavour) to the sound. With the Dolby setting all this is gone and I feel like the SB's soundstage gets a bit more limited. It feels more a 3.1 sound system, which I guess it's good because that's what this SB is at heart, but it still feels like you are missing out on nice features (mainly vertical S).
- UPDATE: Yesterday I watched Stranger Things 3 with this setting (Dolby speaker virtualizer) and I can confirm that voices still get lost when there's a lot going on audio-wise. It does not happen as often as with Sony's setting, but it's still annoying nonetheless.

To sum it up: In my personal opinion, Dolby speaker virtualizer sounds better than Sony's setting for games, but for movies and TV shows I am not entirely convinced. I kind of get a bit dissapointed when selecting it over Sony's because I really like the vertical S and the extra virtual surround effects. If I am not using those, to be honest it kind of feels like defeating the purpose of the bar (the vertical S was a big selling point for me and possibly a reason for Sony to increase the SB price). On top of that, the issue with the voices is also a big concern for me. I have until the 20th to decide whether I want to keep the SB, so I will keep testing it in the upcoming days and make a decision, but right now I am slightly dissapointed.

Regarding the voice clarity issues: Have you guys run into similar problems or it's just me? Does the voice clarity situation improve in any way with the rear speakers?

Cheers!
thanks !!!

In fact, since I bought the rear speakers, no more can sound. I don't know why but without the rear, I have the bad sound often, with my rear connected, always good. I didn't have any voice problems in movies but I had in games (xbox one with atmos). The problem happens only with Virtual S. but when it happens, I just enable the voice option.
Juan López likes this.
post #716 of 734 Old 07-15-2019, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan López View Post

Pros of sound mode:

Cons of sound mode:

Pros:

Cons:

Cheers!
I don’t disagree with anything you said. In fact I’ve had this soundbar for months, and I’m still fiddling with it all the time. Just when I decide I don’t like it, I like it again!

One thing I did notice the other day, is that virtual S apparently comes on automatically when playing an Atmos soundtrack. I left the display on and turned VS on and off manually and nothing changed in the display. At least I think that’s what happened. With the soundbar it’s very hard to tell what’s going on.

I’m running ATV4K into Sony SB into TCL 6 Series Roku TV.
jtrippe and Juan López like this.
post #717 of 734 Old 07-16-2019, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbD7000 View Post
For eARC it should be set to pass-through.

eARC is supposed to fix these issues but either that's a false hope of HDMI org or it's buggy LG software, until more eARC TV's come onto the market there isn't much to compare against. LG is saying some audio improvements are coming in next firmware update according to those who have contacted LG.

See 9 series OLED eARC/ARC info thread & the known issues thread.
I also have started to note times when the LG C9 remote will power off the TV but the soundbar stays on and will not power down. Again, this is connected LG eARC to Sony zf9 eARC, and for quite a while there were no issues with the TV remote controlling the soundbar power, volume, and muting. Now the shutoff is intermittent. Again, I thought the eARC connection would prevent these compatibility issues. Anyone else have this problem?
post #718 of 734 Old 07-16-2019, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I had lots of audio dropouts with my Z9F and A9F OLED. I could not figure it out, and just lived with it. Unfortunately (fortunately?) my A9F oled developed a row of dead pixels across the screen and was warranty-replaced with a brand new A9G. With the A9G, i had worse drop outs at first. Whereas with the A9F, the sound would drop, and then come back pretty quickly with the A9G it just remained off. I factory reset the soundbar and upgraded the HDMI cable from 18 gps to 48 gbps, and i have had a rock solid connection from the soundbar since (4+ days). I also shut off the soundbar's wifi and bluetooth, trying to limit potential sources of interference.
post #719 of 734 Old 07-16-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For folks using this SB with a turntable, I'd be interested in your assessment. I know it won't sound like L/R speakers, so separation won't be great, but streaming music using music mode has been acceptable.

I just ordered a new turntable after moving into a bigger place and getting my LPs out of storage. Excited to be able to play them again after 10 years! The TT has a built-in preamp, so I'll use an RCA Y-cable into the soundbar. Thx!
post #720 of 734 Old 07-16-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
thanks !!!

In fact, since I bought the rear speakers, no more can sound. I don't know why but without the rear, I have the bad sound often, with my rear connected, always good. I didn't have any voice problems in movies but I had in games (xbox one with atmos). The problem happens only with Virtual S. but when it happens, I just enable the voice option.

Cool! Thanks for your thoughts on the rear speakers and the voice problems. I reckon I will keep the soundbar and give the rear speakers a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgibby View Post
I don’t disagree with anything you said. In fact I’ve had this soundbar for months, and I’m still fiddling with it all the time. Just when I decide I don’t like it, I like it again!

One thing I did notice the other day, is that virtual S apparently comes on automatically when playing an Atmos soundtrack. I left the display on and turned VS on and off manually and nothing changed in the display. At least I think that’s what happened. With the soundbar it’s very hard to tell what’s going on.

I’m running ATV4K into Sony SB into TCL 6 Series Roku TV.
With this line you described exactly my feelings: "I’m still fiddling with it all the time. Just when I decide I don’t like it, I like it again!"

Yeah, Atmos content will automatically trigger the virtual S feature even if you have it switched off, unless (I reckon) you are running the soundbar on the Dolby Speaker Virtualizer mode.

So far the setup that kind of works fine for me is:
- Sony Cinema mode + Vertical S ON (most of the times) for movies or TV Shows.
- Dolby Speaker Virtualizer mode for gaming on the PS4.
In both cases, I set the subwoofer at 3-4 out of 12, depending on the content. I find that it's better like this because otherwise at higher numbers the sub is too present, taking the spotlight.

I played some PS4 games as well on Sony's sound mode, but there's a noticeable drop in the sound quality even if I switch off the vertical S. I cannot quite understand how comes Sony's sound mode does not seem to be enhanced for PS4 gaming, if both products are made by Sony. Weirdly enough, when I watch Netflix on the PS4 with Sony's sound mode, everything sounds fine!

Just for reference, my PS4 audio is set to LPCM, which is supposed to be uncompressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page