Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9 - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 133Likes

post #721 of 757 Old 07-21-2019, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Watched Spiderman: Homecoming on Vudu in Dolby Vision/Atmos. The voices sounded like they were coming out of a tin can at times while crystal clear other times. I second the "switch to Dolby Virtualizer" - voices sound normal again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 757 Old 07-27-2019, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
ARC Port Dead

I think the ARC port on my bar died. Recently, the bar would have problems whereby the bar would turn on but no sound came out. The fix was to turn the TV off and back on. Now, I've got a new, more serious problem. The bar does not pass video to the TV through the ARC port. I use premium certified high speed cables and have tried many to no avail. I tried another device on the TVs ARC port and it worked fine. The TV will also send audio to the soundbar. The soundbar just won't send video to the TV from HDMI 1 or 2. Are there any solutions or does the bar need replacement/warranty work? I can't reset the bar since i can't get an onscreen menu.

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, Tivo Bolt 4k, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800, Tivo Mini 4k and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #723 of 757 Old 07-27-2019, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
I think the ARC port on my bar died. Recently, the bar would have problems whereby the bar would turn on but no sound came out. The fix was to turn the TV off and back on. Now, I've got a new, more serious problem. The bar does not pass video to the TV through the ARC port. I use premium certified high speed cables and have tried many to no avail. I tried another device on the TVs ARC port and it worked fine. The TV will also send audio to the soundbar. The soundbar just won't send video to the TV from HDMI 1 or 2. Are there any solutions or does the bar need replacement/warranty work? I can't reset the bar since i can't get an onscreen menu.
Go to your HDMI input that your soundbar is in, and then press home on your soundbar remote to get the Home Menu.
If that does not work, on the bar itself Press and hold (power) and –(minus volume) on the main unit for more than 5 seconds.
The settings return to their initial status.
jtrippe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 757 Old 07-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtex67 View Post
Go to your HDMI input that your soundbar is in, and then press home on your soundbar remote to get the Home Menu.

If that does not work, on the bar itself Press and hold (power) and –(minus volume) on the main unit for more than 5 seconds.

The settings return to their initial status.

Thank you. I was able to get it to reset and all seems to be working fine now. However, since this seems to be a persistent problem I’m still gonna make a warranty claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, Tivo Bolt 4k, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800, Tivo Mini 4k and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #725 of 757 Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 32
is there a way to wire this soundbar? My audio dropouts are back, and i have reset the settings, tried all different combinations of settings, and it's even happening on my new A9G that was a warranty replacement for an A9F OLED. So it's most definitely the soundbar itself. :|
post #726 of 757 Old 08-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeezie View Post
is there a way to wire this soundbar? My audio dropouts are back, and i have reset the settings, tried all different combinations of settings, and it's even happening on my new A9G that was a warranty replacement for an A9F OLED. So it's most definitely the soundbar itself. :|
Via HDMI of course. Or are you talking about the subwoofer?
post #727 of 757 Old 08-08-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd666 View Post
Via HDMI of course. Or are you talking about the subwoofer?
Apologies, yes. The subwoofer. I don't know if the issue is just the sub, or the whole unit. I have now had multiple different HDMI cords and now two different TVs (Sony A9F and A9G). The software on the speaker is up to date. I don't know if it's the wireless feature of the sub (ALL the audio drops out, not just the bass) or the eARC port. It's just really frustrating.
post #728 of 757 Old 08-09-2019, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
eARC LG C9 to eARC Sony ZF9

When I first hooked up my Sony ZF9 soundbar to my LG C9, the soundbar would turn on and off with my TV remote.
However, after about a couple of weeks or so, the soundbar continued to turn on with my TV but it no longer turns off with the TV.
It consistently turns on, it consistently will not turn off.

I have checked, and both TV and soundbar are set to eARC.
I realize that eARC may not be as reliable in its current applications as it is billed to be, but i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that I could try to see if I could get it to work as it had when it was first hooked up.
post #729 of 757 Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgrenley View Post
When I first hooked up my Sony ZF9 soundbar to my LG C9, the soundbar would turn on and off with my TV remote.
However, after about a couple of weeks or so, the soundbar continued to turn on with my TV but it no longer turns off with the TV.

I realize that eARC may not be as reliable in its current applications as it is billed to be, but i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that I could try to see if I could get it to work as it had when it was first hooked up.
I’ve had the same problem as well. Try resetting the connection for the soundbar from your TVs Device Connector settings.
post #730 of 757 Old 08-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I had this issue, then I lost sound from the soundbar. I did a reset of the soundbar and the problem continued. I then toggled the cec control on my Samsung Q8 and bingo everything works again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #731 of 757 Old 08-13-2019, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
Thank you. I was able to get it to reset and all seems to be working fine now. However, since this seems to be a persistent problem I’m still gonna make a warranty claim.

Made my warranty claim. They couldn't replicate the issue but replaced the circuit board any way. One day of having it back and all is good so far. Finger's crossed!
iMac1310 likes this.

post #732 of 757 Old 08-13-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoGeek View Post
I had this issue, then I lost sound from the soundbar. I did a reset of the soundbar and the problem continued. I then toggled the cec control on my Samsung Q8 and bingo everything works again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Anyone know where to go on my LG C9 to toggle the CEC off and on?
post #733 of 757 Old 08-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Hi guys,
I just relocated, and my current apartment(unlike the last one), has very thin walls. Does anyone know how to decouple the ht-z9f's sub? I have had neighbors complain in the past, and I would like to hear the atmos and dts-x on my 4k blu-rays.. I was looking for a sub isolation. -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza This one is pretty popular, but is it compatible? Any help would be great. This thing vibrates like crazy even on sub volume 2. Thanks in advance. Also, does anyone have any pointers for sound proofing in an apartment? I would like to watch my tv comfortably, and I was looking at getting the surrounds.
post #734 of 757 Old 08-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Anyone know where to go on my LG C9 to toggle the CEC off and on?
OK, so i went and found the LG Simplink, and toggled it off and on. It did not change anything...the soundbaar will turn on with the TV but not turn off with the TV.

I chatted with LG support, and they suggested doing a hard reset on the TV (unplug, then hold down power button for like 20 seconds, then plug back in).
They said if that did not work, to try a factory reset, but I would lose all my settings, wifi settings, etc...which i would rather not do unless there is a significant chance it would work.
If that does not work, they suggested i wait for the next firmware update.
post #735 of 757 Old 08-30-2019, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, I've been doing some pretty thorough testing between 2 displays with this soundbar and I wanted to know if anyone had similar experiences. I have an Xbox One X, a PC with a 1070ti, a UBP X700 and a PS4 base model and two displays, a Q60 and an LG C9. The properties of the issue are the same between the two displays, but it goes something like this:

PS4 Plugged Into Soundbar:
- Linear PCM output settings plugged directly into the soundbar has no audio delay.
- Dolby Digital output settings plugged directly into the soundbar has 300ms delay.
- DTS output settings plugged directly into the soundbar has 300ms delay.

PS4 Plugged Into C9:
- Linear PCM output settings output 2 channel with no audio delay.
- Dolby Digital Output Settings has 300ms audio delay.
- DTS Output Settings plugged into C9 has 300ms audio delay.

PS4 Plugged Into Q60:
- Matches C9
- Matches C9
- Matches C9

Xbox One X Plugged Into Soundbar:
- No audio delay with Linear PCM.
- No audio delay with Atmos decoding.
- Mixed results with 5.1 and 7.1 settings depending on the app, but no audio delay.

Xbox One X plugged into C9:
- EARC connection sending Atmos has 300ms of audio delay.
- 5.1 output settings do not work, 7.1 does virtual surround out of the front 3 channels.
- DTS Bitstream has no audio delay but the soundbar is improperly decoding and doing virtual surround out of the front 3 channels.
- Stereo output works fine with no audio delay.

PC plugged into Soundbar:
- Stereo works fine, no delay.
- 5.1 and 7.1 settings are disabled/broken.
- The only drivers that work are the PC Atmos drivers, no delay.

PC Plugged Into LG C9:
- Stereo works fine, no delay.
- 5.1 and 7.1 settings can be opened, but inconsistently output rear channels.
- Atmos works, but with the same 300ms delay. Netflix app inconsistently outputs 5.1 whether you're using a browser or the desktop app.

UBPx700 Plugged Into Soundbar:
- Dolby Atmos is stripped properly when sent into the soundbar, no delay.

UBPx700 Plugged Into TV:
- Not tested yet.

Detecting a pattern here? No matter what I plug into the display, whether it's the Q60 or the C9, I can't get 5.1 or Atmos passed down to the soundbar over ARC or eARC without delay. Does anyone have Dolby Digital or Atmos eARC or ARC functionality flowing from TV to soundbar set up without delay? I've cable swapped and that hasn't worked either.

Let me know if I missed anything in my testing and I can try it out. Thanks!
post #736 of 757 Old 08-30-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgibby View Post
It can output to headphones via Bluetooth. I have not found a setting on the bar for virtual headphone surround.

The sound through my Sony 1000XM3s is very good. But be aware that the BT TX mode is quite flaky. For a while I had to drill deep into the settings to connect the headphones every damn time. Then for a while they would connect if the phones were on already when the bar powered up. Then for a while they connected every time regardless of which ones were powered on first.

After the most recent soundbar update, they wouldn't connect at all. Had to delete and repair, and now I'm back to having to have the phones powered on before the soundbar.

Just another stupid UI move, like having to drill way down in the settings to get to the sound modes.

Just FYI. Phones and BT TX work, but it can be a pain to use.
Glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem.

Previously my 1000XM3's used to connect automatically when I powered them on. This was when I first purchased the soundbar. Now after a few updates, I have to drill down in the Bluetooth menu just to connect my headphones. Or I have to turn off the soundbar and then turn the soundbar back on while my bluetooth headphones are on in order for it to connect automatically. Super lame.

I hope they fix this with a future update and revert it back to how it was originally.

PSN: ee_too
XBL: ee2oo
Steam: ee_too
post #737 of 757 Old 09-02-2019, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just ordered a X950G with HT-Z9F bundle. Does the HDMI cable included with the HT-Z9F support eARC? If not, what kind of cable do I need for eARC?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #738 of 757 Old 09-03-2019, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomase View Post
I just ordered a X950G with HT-Z9F bundle. Does the HDMI cable included with the HT-Z9F support eARC? If not, what kind of cable do I need for eARC?

Bundled one will work.
post #739 of 757 Old 09-10-2019, 07:21 AM

Can anybody help? According to the manual this sb doesnt support atmos truehd through arc., which is what I am using. But when I play a 4k uhd disc and press display button on the USB it show dolby atmos truehd. But it doesnt sound like atmos. Am I getting atmos or not? Please help.
post #740 of 757 Old 09-10-2019, 07:48 AM

Still fiddling with my X950G and HT-Z9F. Only major issue now is that there is noticable audio delay for Android TV games running on the X950G OS. It is very noticeable when switching back and forth between TV and soundbar speakers (about 0.5 sec delay with the HT-Z9F). Game consoles connected directly to soundbar or a separate TV HDMI input have no audio delay. I've tried both HDMI eARC and optical with the same results.

post #741 of 757 Old 09-10-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomase View Post
Still fiddling with my X950G and HT-Z9F. Only major issue now is that there is noticable audio delay for Android TV games running on the X950G OS. It is very noticeable when switching back and forth between TV and soundbar speakers (about 0.5 sec delay with the HT-Z9F). Game consoles connected directly to soundbar or a separate TV HDMI input have no audio delay. I've tried both HDMI eARC and optical with the same results.

The fact that a game console connected to a separate HDMI has no audio lag AND that disabling all processing features on the HT-Z9F had no effect leads me to believe that it's the TV's fault.

Someone else has to have run into this...

post #742 of 757 Old 09-13-2019, 02:14 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post
I just can't decide what to do. I just moved and don't really won't to unpack my old receiver and 5.1 JBL system. I just got a 49" 4k Samsung, so I was looking at getting a soundbar to go with it and this (or maybe a slightly cheaper Sony) was the first to catch my attention.

I'm definitely not an audiophile. Having surround would be cool, but dialog is probably my biggest issue (my wife complains at night that I have it too loud and if I turn it down to the level she wants I can't hear what is said.)

In another thread, someone said if you mostly care about dialog you should go with a Bose or ZVox or maybe Sonos.

Another important point is supported formats. I've read too much and can't remember which, but it seems like one of those didn't support DTS at all, so you'd end up listening in stereo or no sound at all. I definitely don't want that.

This and the Bose ST300 are around the same price, but this comes with the sub (which I don't particularly want, and I already have the powered sub from the JBL set that I could use I guess.)

Quality is a concern too as I don't want to deal with making any returns.

One of the vendors for the Sony said they have a special price on it + SAZ9R surrounds, so I just sent them a message to see how much. But, if anyone has a good suggestions on this vs the others or something I haven't thought of please give them to me.

I always try and keep it simple and match brands of components when possible. I would just look into picking up one of the newer Samsung soundbars because you know it’ll be able to “talk” to the TV and you’ll avoid any vendor specific interoperability bugs. Just my 2 cents

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
post #743 of 757 Old 09-18-2019, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko prince View Post
Can anybody help? According to the manual this sb doesnt support atmos truehd through arc., which is what I am using. But when I play a 4k uhd disc and press display button on the USB it show dolby atmos truehd. But it doesnt sound like atmos. Am I getting atmos or not? Please help.
it supports it through a compatible eARC television such as the C9. are u pressing display on the soundbar or the UHD player? how is your UHD player connected, to the soundbar or the TV?

LG OLED65C9P / LG OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
post #744 of 757 Old 09-21-2019, 03:17 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 200
How do you guys set your levels on the sound bar? I’ve set the sub and rears to the max of 12 and the mains to 18 and use a different remote to control the overall mix and it sounds good to my ears. Wondering what others do.

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
post #745 of 757 Old 09-27-2019, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Has anyone tried Amazon Music HD on the HT-z9f? How can I tell if its playing HD? I'm playing through the Alexa mode on the HT-z9f from echo. Amazon Music App says HD, but it always says HD even if I downgrade the music streaming quality to standard in settings. Any help?
post #746 of 757 Old 10-08-2019, 06:29 AM

I don't own the ht-zf9 but I do have the xf9000. My Speaker settings are distance set to Zero. (Could need altered for rears on zf9). Level set to Zero. Audio settings are DSEE Off, Audio DRC Off
Sound Effect OFF and Advanced Auto Volume Off. Dialogue is crystal clear. Subwoofer is set to 3. Night mode off. And Voice off also. In The Tall Grass on Netflix is a good test. As it's in Atmos and voices change from speaker to speaker.
post #747 of 757 Old 10-08-2019, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
What's your guys opinions on the DSEE HX, Audio DRC and Sound Effect options? Right now I have DSEE and DRC set to off, and Sound Effect set to Dolby Speaker Virtualization. Not too sure what DSEE and DRC do but do you guys recommend tturning them on? Also, with Sound Effect set to Dolby Speaker Virtualization, I get the height channels vitualized and in just Atmos and nothing else, correct? Thanks!!
post #748 of 757 Old 10-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplasticbling View Post
What's your guys opinions on the DSEE HX, Audio DRC and Sound Effect options? Right now I have DSEE and DRC set to off, and Sound Effect set to Dolby Speaker Virtualization. Not too sure what DSEE and DRC do but do you guys recommend tturning them on? Also, with Sound Effect set to Dolby Speaker Virtualization, I get the height channels vitualized and in just Atmos and nothing else, correct? Thanks!!
I’m curious myself on this. All I know comes from the manual, so from the little I know is based on that.

DSEE basically takes low quality audio and up-converts to HQ. Not sure if it affects HQ audio in any way like an Atmos mix adversely. (I keep it on, hoping it doesn’t)

I think Advanced Audio Control sort of compresses the audio to prevent wild jump in volume. I think I notice it working when you switch inputs or make any adjustment as the audio dims briefly to prevent your ears from exploding when something loud is quickly switched. Default is on, and it hasn’t bothered me but expect to hear brief moments of lower volume with any changes or adjusts. (Skip chapters in a Blu Ray and you get a couple secs of lowered volume before it normalizes I think is a good example). I think this is how that works. So up to you to keep on or off...

Auto DRC just says it compresses audio to a Dolby or DTX format intended by whatever the producer intended. Off has no compression. I’ve toggled it here and there and couldn’t really tell difference. Feel like I need more input on this from others.

I use Dolby Virtualization as I find Sound Mode On(default) sounds really tinny and awkward. I haven’t tried off(which I think is just raw audio), but Dolby just sounds rich and voices pure. Just be mindful you lose all the ‘modes’ with Dolby, like Vertical Sync, Game mode, Movie, etc... those require ‘Sound Mode On’.

I’m gonna try “Off”on some games and films soon to see how it sounds to compare as I never have, but once I swapped to Dolby Virtualizaton from “on” I never went back. It’s way better on all my personal tests just between those two.
jtrippe likes this.

Last edited by Brandon F; 10-09-2019 at 02:12 PM.
post #749 of 757 Old 10-09-2019, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon F View Post
I’m curious myself on this. All I know comes from the manual, so from the little I know is based on that.

DSEE basically takes low quality audio and up-converts to HQ. Not sure if it affects HQ audio in any way like an Atmos mix adversely. (I keep it on, hoping it doesn’t)

I think Advanced Audio Control sort of compresses the audio to prevent wild jump in volume. I think I notice it working when you switch inputs or make any adjustment as the audio dims briefly to prevent your ears from exploding when something loud is quickly switched. Default is on, and it hasn’t bothered me but expect to hear brief moments of lower volume with any changes or adjusts. (Skip chapters in a Blu Ray and you get a couple secs of lowered volume before it normalizes I think is a good example). I think this is how that works. So up to you to keep on or off...

Auto DRC just says it compresses audio to a Dolby or DTX format intended by whatever the producer intended. Off has no compression. I’ve toggled it here and there and couldn’t really tell difference. Feel like I need more input on this from others.

I use Dolby Virtualization as I find Sound Mode On(default) sounds really tinny and awkward. I haven’t tried off(which I think is just raw audio), but Dolby just sounds rich and voices pure. Just be mindful you lose all the ‘modes’ with Dolby, like Vertical Sync, Game mode, Movie, etc... those require ‘Sound Mode On’.

I’m gonna try “Off”on some games and films soon to see how it sounds to compare as I never have, but once I swapped to Dolby Virtualizaton from “on” I never went back. It’s way better on all my personal tests just between those two.
Thanks for the info. Basically what I'm shooting for is raw audio in everything with no compression etc. and to have the height channels virtualized only when playing Atmos content. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this and Sony really doesn't provide any info on any of this stuff. I don't think any of us still have the answer to weather 'Dolby Virtualization' in sound mode virtualizes the height channels or not for Atmos content. Not sure weather I need sound mode set to on for this or not. I also remember reading somewhere that if you have sound mode on and you turn off vertical sound using the remote, vertical sound virtualization is not active. I can't tell if this is the case or not, because weather or not I have Vertical Sound turned on or off using the remote, it always says '+vertical sound engine' in the display box when I press display. This is for both Atmos and non Atmos content. The settings on this thing really don't make any sense at all and I don't expect Sony to step forward and explain any of this (mainly because I think they haven't a clue and they just threw all these nonsense settings in here as selling points) so I'm relying on y'all.
pskerry likes this.
post #750 of 757 Old 10-11-2019, 05:46 PM

I find that Sony’s sound modes can drown out the voices but not all the time. Mostly only with low quality sound sources such as Hulu, which I believe is only 2 channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page