Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9 - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136Likes

post #781 of 803 Old 12-10-2019, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone can use Alexa directly with this soundbar?

Still no luck in HK and no idea how to enable it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 803 Old 12-10-2019, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs33 View Post
Maybe is that happening watching HDR content?

Happens to me sometimes just with HDR, try to disable ADVANCED AUTO VOLUME, too.

it was happening on all content.Since I changed the 5ghz wifi channel on my router, I did not had a single problem....
post #783 of 803 Old 12-10-2019, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am using HDMI ARC for connection to the soundbar wanting to connect either a Senhouser RS 175 headset via optical going out of soundbar into headphone base unit input or if necessary use a Bluetooth headphone. My question is, can you even connect optical out as all I see is optical input on the soundbar for going from TV to soundbar? Also, if the only way is via Bluetooth, do I need new headphones like Bose QC 35 to adjust volume or can I pair it with my Apple Airpods 2 and be able to adjust their sound level? It does have Siri on the Airpods so I can say "turn up, down, etc." but was thinking that may only work with the iPhone and not adjust sound output connected to the Bluetooth on soundbar.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 803 Old 12-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone have this sound bar connected to a 75Z9D? I'm assuming this should work with ARC HDMI since the Z9D doesn't have eARC.
post #785 of 803 Old 12-13-2019, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vahighland View Post
Anyone have this sound bar connected to a 75Z9D? I'm assuming this should work with ARC HDMI since the Z9D doesn't have eARC.
Not exactly sure what you mean because it should work via HDMI ARC on most TVs, regardless of eARC support. Are you sure the model you reference does not have a firmware update supporting eARC? The port may be too old to support it, but you need to check the firmware. I know on my LG they had a firmware update that supported eARC now and with the updated firmware on the Z9F soundbar for eARC they work great.
post #786 of 803 Old 12-13-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post
Not exactly sure what you mean because it should work via HDMI ARC on most TVs, regardless of eARC support. Are you sure the model you reference does not have a firmware update supporting eARC? The port may be too old to support it, but you need to check the firmware. I know on my LG they had a firmware update that supported eARC now and with the updated firmware on the Z9F soundbar for eARC they work great.
I figured it would technically work with my TV, I guess I’m just asking if anyone has used this sound bar with the 75Z9D - any issues like lip sync or dropouts, etc. The 75Z9D does not support eARC.
post #787 of 803 Old 12-18-2019, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentifrice View Post
I have this sound bar since June with rear speakers. It’s been working flawlessly until few weeks ago.

Sometimes the sound just drops for a fraction of a second. Very difficult to explain what exactly is the problem but it glitches for a very very brief moment like the sound lower. Sometime I also have noise.

Can happen several times in a minute or not at all for hours.

I didn’t changed any settings of the soundbar. The problem occurs with all my devices.

It seems to happen more often during evening. Right now the problem occurs a lot. This afternoon, no problem at all.

I live in a place where there are a lot of neighbors around me and I starting to think I get interference from one of them.

But sometimes, rebooting the soundbar solves it for a while so IDK....

Sometimes I change RF to OFF in settings to solve the problem. The next day I have to turn it on again. Some days later, I need to turn it off again to solve the problem...

Any idea ?

Edit : After doing some tests, as soon as I turn off the rears, no more drops and noise so far...

Edit 2 : I starting to think it may be related to my wifi. Wife is using her computer just beside me and there was more dropouts while she was browsing. Now she left the room and it’s way better....

Edit 3 : I changed wifi channels, I’ll test more.
i had a problem with my rears as well (after working perfectly). i just did a reset and all is perfect again

LG OLED65C9P / LG OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
post #788 of 803 Old 12-19-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Just setup my Z9F with the rear speakers.
For those who use AppleTV (YoutubeTV app, Netflix) and Xbox One, any recommended settings that I should have set on the soundbar?

Currently have:
Vertical S Off
Standard Soundmode

Under Audio Settings:
DSEE HX - On
Audio DRC - Auto
Sound Mode ON (not using the dolby speaker virtualizer)
Autovolume - On.

Am I missing anything? Thanks.
Any input from owners? Thanks....

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #789 of 803 Old 12-21-2019, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Any input from owners? Thanks....
Audio DRC should be OFF, it's a COMPRESSION format.
I was using Vertical Engine until i bought rears; now i have dolby speaker virtualizer, 'cause on sky Q and all the movies i watch/ download with Zidoo, dolby uses perfectly my rears.

As i stated before, the only problem is there's no button to change Sound Mode to listen to differences quickly.

Watching the Witcher now, with Dolby atmos (redirected on DD+ on my Pana EZ950) it's amazing.
bodean likes this.
post #790 of 803 Old 12-21-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs33 View Post
Audio DRC should be OFF, it's a COMPRESSION format.
I was using Vertical Engine until i bought rears; now i have dolby speaker virtualizer, 'cause on sky Q and all the movies i watch/ download with Zidoo, dolby uses perfectly my rears.

As i stated before, the only problem is there's no button to change Sound Mode to listen to differences quickly.

Watching the Witcher now, with Dolby atmos (redirected on DD+ on my Pana EZ950) it's amazing.
Thanks for the input! Ill turn the DRC off. I thought I read that dolby speaker virtualizer doesn't sound good with normal TV viewing and Xbox One gaming, that's why I was using Sound Mode On. Ill try dolby again and see if the sound is ok with both watching/gaming.

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
post #791 of 803 Old 12-21-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the input! Ill turn the DRC off. I thought I read that dolby speaker virtualizer doesn't sound good with normal TV viewing and Xbox One gaming, that's why I was using Sound Mode On. Ill try dolby again and see if the sound is ok with both watching/gaming.
Ah sorry not having any console could be not of any help, maybe in this way you are right, just like if you open the youtube app and you do the atmos test, with dolby virtualizer speakers are strangely off, with vertical engine are one and sounds great cause its lpcm.
Maybe on xbox audio options you have to pick between raw/lpcm/ dolby systems or something like this?
post #792 of 803 Old 12-22-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Just purchased the Sony HT-Z9F Sound Bar to compliment my Sony 55" 4K OLED A8G TV (Master Bedroom). I'm still tweaking the settings to obtain optimal results. My current set up / configuration is as follows:

**Sony 55" 4K OLED A8G (HDMI 3 / ARC) connected to Sony HT-Z9F Sound Bar (HDMI OUT) using High Speed HDMI Cable, [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YCbCr 4:4:4 (supports HDR / HDR+10 / Dolby Vision)

*DirecTV 4K Genie Mini connected to Sony HT-Z9F Sound Bar (HDMI 1)
*Apple TV HD connected to Sony HT-Z9F Soundbar (HDMI 2) - **will soon be replacing with Apple TV 4K**

I want the Sony 55" 4K OLED A8G to handle all the video processing, just as if the devices (DirecTV 4K Genie Mini / Apple TV HD) were connected directly to the TV (Sony 55" 4K OLED A8G). With the DirecTV Genie Mini and Apple TV HD connected to the back of the Sony HT-Z9F Sound Bar, is the Sony 55" 4K OLED A8G still doing all the video processing? I DO NOT want the Sony HT-Z9F processing any of the video / alter the PQ. I want the video signal passing through the Sony HT-Z9F untouched.

I want to make sure the PQ is the same as if I had the devices connected directly to the TV (as I did before purchasing the Sony HT-Z9F Sound Bar)

Thanks for the help, and appreciate the replies.
post #793 of 803 Old 12-29-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In need of help.
Ive got the sony soundbar and philips pus8303 tv. Hdmi connected from tv box to soundbar, and soundbar to tv.
The tv box works perfect, but when i try to play a movie on netflix (app installed on tv) theres no sound, only picture.
When i plug out hdmi from tv, and plug it back in, i get sound for 10-15 seconds, then it goes back to tv speakers.
Tried plugging in the optical cable from tv to soundbar, and got sound on netflix, but only after i changed from 5.1 to standard on netflix.
Could anybody help me to get the sound working with usibg hdmi?
post #794 of 803 Old 12-30-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I need help. When I turn off my HT-Z9F soundbar, dolby Atmos is enabled, but when I turn on my soundbar, I only have dolby vision. No dolby Atmos. (I'm using a LG C9 TV)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0421_1577737154540.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	4.92 MB
ID:	2661286   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0422_1577737164217.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	5.68 MB
ID:	2661288  
post #795 of 803 Old 12-31-2019, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I solved the problem I had. The guy who fixed up my TV and Soundbar DID NOT go to the LG C9 TV settings and put the ARC output on Auto. He set it to PCM. That stupid idiot. -_-
post #796 of 803 Old 01-06-2020, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bluetooth latency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgibby View Post
It can output to headphones via Bluetooth. I have not found a setting on the bar for virtual headphone surround.

The sound through my Sony 1000XM3s is very good. But be aware that the BT TX mode is quite flaky. For a while I had to drill deep into the settings to connect the headphones every damn time. Then for a while they would connect if the phones were on already when the bar powered up. Then for a while they connected every time regardless of which ones were powered on first.

After the most recent soundbar update, they wouldn't connect at all. Had to delete and repair, and now I'm back to having to have the phones powered on before the soundbar.

Just another stupid UI move, like having to drill way down in the settings to get to the sound modes.

Just FYI. Phones and BT TX work, but it can be a pain to use.
Is there much latency (resulting in AV sync issues) using the WH-1000XM3 with the Z9F in Bluetooth Transmission mode? Are you using LDAC as well? (it can be enabled in settings, and the XM3 support LDAC as well.

Over the holidays, I upgraded my entertainment setup by picking up a 65" LG C9, this HT-Z9F soundbar, and Sony X700 UHD Bluray player (everything connected to the TV and then the soundbar via eARC). [An aside, I'm still debating whether I want to upgrade my 2017 Nvidia Shield to the 2019 Shield Pro model to have Dolby Vision support vs just using the built-in LG WebOS TV apps]. The last few days I have been trying to set it all up and figure out a way to listen to it wirelessly for nighttime viewing when i dont want to disrupt the rest of the house. My main concern is latency causing AV sync issues, which has left me debating between RF headphones like the Sony WH-L600 or a bluetooth solution. However, neither the TV or the HT-Z9F support AptX or AptX-LL bluetooth profiles/codecs. But then I found out that the Z9F supports LDAC and as does the WH-1000XM3.

Also, what's the consensus on sound modes or virtualization? Should I leave sound mode on "auto" (how well does it switch) or manually select modes or scrap that altogether and use the "Dolby Speaker Virtualizer" option instead? For now, I don't have the rear satellites, but may consider them down the line.

Thanks.
post #797 of 803 Old 01-11-2020, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My experience with the Sony HT-Z9F soundbar - first, I used to be really into AV equipment, Wasn't rich but tried to get best for my money, and spent a lot of time at the local higher end AV stores with my demo CDs. Mainly Denon and Nakamichi gear, with Def Tech front three speakers, sub, and def tech rear towers for surround. As life has moved on, the equipment went to my adult son as we moved, so now I'm looking for a good soundbar at a good price. I picked up a Sony HT-Z9F with $200 off at Best Buy when I purchased my Sony 65" 950G TV. I've been in analysis paralysis reading the forums here; every time I'd pick something, I'd read threads that would talk me out of it, Finally I said the hell with it and got the HT-Z9F.

After listening to it for a couple of weeks, I just returned it yesterday. There were a couple of minor issues: one, I had the cable box plugged into HDMI 1 on the soundbar to try to address some lip sync problems (issue #2 ) I got when I plugged the cable box into the TV itself. My preference is to plug everything into the TV and the TV into the soundbar. That still didn't fix the lip sync issue 100% (nor did the adjustments on the soundbar) but it also meant that whenever I would switch from another HDMI (such as the PS4 in HDMI 3) back to HDMI on the TV, to get back to the cable TV, instead of showing the channel it was on, it gave me the Sony soundbar homescreen, which meant I then had to access the soundbar control to select HDMI 1 and hit OK to get back to the cable TV.

But the main reason for the return was the sound. I'm temporarily in an apartment so the room is not huge, (not tiny either.) The sound was better than the TV speakers, no doubt. And I could tell a difference when I turned on Vertical Sound, the sound was a bit less "focused" on the bar. Bur it really wasn't three dimensional at all. Note, this is buying the extra rear speakers. It was just like sound coming out of better speakers than the TV speakers. I tried a lot of sources and movies, TV, etc. but I never got the feeling the sound was coming from anywhere but those three speakers in the bar. I certainly never got any illusion of sound being overhead.

Again the sound was good for what it was, but honestly I didn't hear a ton different from the old Sony HT-CT500 soundbar I have from maybe 8 years ago. For comparison: while it doesn't have ATMOS the Bose soundbars I listened to had a more "spatial" sound than this one.

Perhaps you just really need the rear speakers for the "illusion" features of the Z9F to work, but for me I'm back to looking/listening again.

FWIW
post #798 of 803 Old 01-21-2020, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Noticed lately I'm having issues with my Harmony 650 and changing inputs on this soundbar.
My Watch Tv is HDMI 2 on Sony 900F tv, and TV setting on the soundbar.
My Play Xbox is HDMI 3/Arc on the Sony 900F, and HDMI 1 setting on soundbar.

I noticed a lot if I am watching TV, and I run the watch TV activity, the soundbar goes to HDMI 1, then back to TV. I am always having to use the "Help" button on the Harmony remote to fix this issue.
Has anyone else noticed issues with switching inputs on the soundbar? Not sure what else to do, to troubleshoot.
Xbox One is plugged into the HDMI 1 on the Soundbar. Nothing else is plugged into it (HDMI out of course to my ARC on my Sony TV).

Thanks

post #799 of 803 Old 01-21-2020, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Noticed lately I'm having issues with my Harmony 650 and changing inputs on this soundbar.
My Watch Tv is HDMI 2 on Sony 900F tv, and TV setting on the soundbar.
My Play Xbox is HDMI 3/Arc on the Sony 900F, and HDMI 1 setting on soundbar.

I noticed a lot if I am watching TV, and I run the watch TV activity, the soundbar goes to HDMI 1, then back to TV. I am always having to use the "Help" button on the Harmony remote to fix this issue.
Has anyone else noticed issues with switching inputs on the soundbar? Not sure what else to do, to troubleshoot.
Xbox One is plugged into the HDMI 1 on the Soundbar. Nothing else is plugged into it (HDMI out of course to my ARC on my Sony TV).

Thanks
I've got the same TV and soundbar setup as you and was having similar issues using the Harmony Smart Remote with hub. I read somewhere (maybe here) that removing the bar from what Harmony controls and letting the 900F do it through CEC woould help. I'm over a week in to doing that and everything is working perfectly ... knock on wood. My Harmony now controls everything but the bar and the 900F controls the bar.

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800 and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #800 of 803 Old 01-21-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
I've got the same TV and soundbar setup as you and was having similar issues using the Harmony Smart Remote with hub. I read somewhere (maybe here) that removing the bar from what Harmony controls and letting the 900F do it through CEC woould help. I'm over a week in to doing that and everything is working perfectly ... knock on wood. My Harmony now controls everything but the bar and the 900F controls the bar.
How do I set it up this way that you describe? How would the sony 900F know to switch to TV and HDMI 1?

post #801 of 803 Old 01-21-2020, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
How do I set it up this way that you describe? How would the sony 900F know to switch to TV and HDMI 1?

You would do it through the CEC controls in the TV settings. Also make sure CEC is on in the sound bar. If your other connected devices also have CEC, when you turn them on with the TV, everything should go to the correct input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800 and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #802 of 803 Old 01-22-2020, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Set up help

Pardon me for my A/V ignorance here. I just received the HT-Z9f and SAZ9 rear speakers. I can hear the rears when the sound bar is in Bluetooth mode and I am listening to music through my phone, but I don't hear the rears when watching TV through the DISH box or Netflix and the sound bar is in TV mode. Am I missing something in the set-up or settings here?

Current set up - DISH box to TV via HDMI and Sony HTZ9f sound bar to the TV via HDMI through the eArc ports.

HDMI Cables - Amazon Basics high speed CL3 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Thanks,

Last edited by Mike274; 01-22-2020 at 02:24 AM.
post #803 of 803 Old 01-24-2020, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I have the Z9F with the rears. Very happy overall.
However, I just recently bought a 2019 Nvidia Shile TV Pro, hooked it up to HDMI 1 on the soundbar, then out of the soundbar into HDMI 3 on my Sony XBR65X930E.
I am a bit confused by how to setup the system so that I can turn the TV, Soundbar and Shield on with the Shield remote.
What would my internal HDMI/CEC/IR setting be in each device to accomplish smooth operation at startup and shutdown?

Thanks for your help! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page