Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9 - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136Likes

post #811 of 816 Old 03-20-2020, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sources Connected to Sony HT-Z9F Soundbar or Sony XBR-65Z9F TV First with eARC?

All, As a new owner of both a Sony HT-Z9F soundbar and a Sony XBR-65Z9F TV, I'm trying to understand if there are any advantages or disadvantages to connecting my various sources (a 4K UBP-X1100ES blu-ray player, a region free DVD player with HDMI, a cable box with HDMI, and finally a VCR with composite) to my TV or soundbar first (I already understand there aren't enough inputs on my soundbar for all these devices to simultaneously connect) if I'm using the eARC connection between the TV and soundbar. My thought is that if you don't have eARC on both the TV and soundbar then you would want to connect at least the 4K sources to the soundbar first so the soundbar could access / decode higher audio formats and then just pass the video to the TV, however with both the TV and soundbar supporting eARC is this still an issue? After reading the setup guides, manuals, and FAQs it looks like all audio formats will be supported by the soundbar fed via eARC from the TV with the possible exception of DSD... in this case, I can't see any disadvantages to just connecting all sources to the TV and using eARC to pass audio to the soundbar. Thank you for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 816 Old 03-21-2020, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uraprat View Post
All, As a new owner of both a Sony HT-Z9F soundbar and a Sony XBR-65Z9F TV, I'm trying to understand if there are any advantages or disadvantages to connecting my various sources (a 4K UBP-X1100ES blu-ray player, a region free DVD player with HDMI, a cable box with HDMI, and finally a VCR with composite) to my TV or soundbar first (I already understand there aren't enough inputs on my soundbar for all these devices to simultaneously connect) if I'm using the eARC connection between the TV and soundbar. My thought is that if you don't have eARC on both the TV and soundbar then you would want to connect at least the 4K sources to the soundbar first so the soundbar could access / decode higher audio formats and then just pass the video to the TV, however with both the TV and soundbar supporting eARC is this still an issue? After reading the setup guides, manuals, and FAQs it looks like all audio formats will be supported by the soundbar fed via eARC from the TV with the possible exception of DSD... in this case, I can't see any disadvantages to just connecting all sources to the TV and using eARC to pass audio to the soundbar. Thank you for your help!
FWIW, I had my ATV4K and my Xbox One both connected to my soundbar. Lately when watching ATV, the screen flickers a lot. Related to soundbar because when I plug the ATV into my X900F, I don't have that issue. For your question, I see no issue with using TV inputs for what you are trying to accomplish. Others feel free to chime in.

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #813 of 816 Old 03-21-2020, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
FWIW, I had my ATV4K and my Xbox One both connected to my soundbar. Lately when watching ATV, the screen flickers a lot. Related to soundbar because when I plug the ATV into my X900F, I don't have that issue. For your question, I see no issue with using TV inputs for what you are trying to accomplish. Others feel free to chime in.
bodean, Thank you very much for your help! I will attempt this tonight and try to determine that I'm passing both video and all sound formats as intended to the soundbar over eARC. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 816 Old Yesterday, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Oh I'm fine with the Dolby mode. I have real atmos in another room. It would be cool if they could do it without the odd sounding effects, but I didn't really buy it for that reason.
When I use dolby virtualizer nothing comes out of my rears when watching anything but a movie, when I play a Atmos movie dolby Atmos is enables with Sony sound mode on so dont see need to use virtualizeR?
post #815 of 816 Old Yesterday, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2559 Post(s)
Liked: 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Rivera View Post
When I use dolby virtualizer nothing comes out of my rears when watching anything but a movie, when I play a Atmos movie dolby Atmos is enables with Sony sound mode on so dont see need to use virtualizeR?
The problem is with the Sony virtualizer, the sound quality is worse imo. The Dolby mode is more accurate to the source. I'm guessing in order to get stereo expansion into the surrounds, you need the Sony modes activated. I personally don't have rears so I'm not too worried about that, but if I have to choose lower quality sound in order to get that speaker expansion, I wouldn't do that myself. The Dolby mode sounds much nicer and more natural.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #816 of 816 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello!

I'm having trouble setting up the db levels. I sit 1.5m away from the rears and 2.3m away from soundbar+sw. What db settings are recommended for each? Especially the subwoofer is confusing, should it be -db or +db. I really need help! Would like to get the same if not similar wow factor as in cinema, with a little rumbling yet not overpowered bass. Thank you kindly all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page