Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9 - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

post #841 of 863 Old 05-24-2020, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidmille View Post
At 40€ of difference according to you is it more interesting to buy the older ZF9 or the newer 700?
Havent seen any reviews on the new 700 soundbar but looks very similar to the ht-z9f..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 863 Old 05-24-2020, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What makes me hesitate is that I'm interested in Sony oled TVs that promote the acoustic surface. Reading the reviews I have difficulty to know if a sony bar gives a plus to this system. Both are atmos...
post #843 of 863 Old 06-14-2020, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidmille View Post
What makes me hesitate is that I'm interested in Sony oled TVs that promote the acoustic surface. Reading the reviews I have difficulty to know if a sony bar gives a plus to this system. Both are atmos...
I have both and the soundbar is a night and day difference. While acoustic surface audio is good for a tv speaker, it can't match a full dedicated speaker by a long shot. The vertical surround is immersive on the Z9F. When you turn the speaker off, the tv's speaker sounds hollow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 863 Old 06-19-2020, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you connect your devices (ps4, cable box, etc.) to TV or soundbar? I have a Sony XBR65X900F connected to Sony HT-Z9F through HDMI ARC, but all other devices are connected to TV. The TV and soundbar are wall mounted. I alaready have the wires going behind the wall and didn't really want to take them out to have them hanging around soundbar.
post #845 of 863 Old 06-29-2020, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So I have a 2017 C7 Curved OLED that just has arc. I am in a situation where I think I can only setup this sounbar via the optical sound cable. Doing this do I lost Atmos support? Will it still upconvert the sound coming from optical to Atmos? So I lose nothing at all doing it this way? Has anyone tested it via optical and have an opinion on how it sounds?

I am also debating on waiting to try the new TCL atmos soundbar Ray Danz. Think its worth waiting for?

Thanks.
post #846 of 863 Old 06-30-2020, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumate View Post
So I have a 2017 C7 Curved OLED that just has arc. I am in a situation where I think I can only setup this sounbar via the optical sound cable. Doing this do I lost Atmos support? Will it still upconvert the sound coming from optical to Atmos? So I lose nothing at all doing it this way? Has anyone tested it via optical and have an opinion on how it sounds?

I am also debating on waiting to try the new TCL atmos soundbar Ray Danz. Think its worth waiting for?

Thanks.
Hi,

I am looking for a 3.1 system (do not have the right room shape for rears), I am struggling to find the differences between this and the new 700 model. Does anyone know why this one might be worth the extra $200 bucks? thx
post #847 of 863 Old 06-30-2020, 12:13 PM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonoaks View Post
Hi,

I am looking for a 3.1 system (do not have the right room shape for rears), I am struggling to find the differences between this and the new 700 model. Does anyone know why this one might be worth the extra $200 bucks? thx
Seroiusly struggling? I don't mean to bust balls but Google?
simonoaks likes this.

Living Room: Xfinity XG1v4-A cable box + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-ST5000 Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar > Sony XBR-65X900F Television
Office: Oppo UDP-203 + Apple TV 4K > Sony HT-Z9F Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar (with rears) > Sony XBR-55A1E Television
post #848 of 863 Old 06-30-2020, 03:49 PM

ZF9 Vs G900

Only thing I found was the ZF9 has another HDMI port and allows for wireless rear speakers. If you don't want rear speakers...it just seems like 300$ less. I will say before you buy this maybe wait to see about the TCL Ray Danz but doesnt have DTS support but might sound much better in atmos (no one knows yet).
simonoaks likes this.
post #849 of 863 Old 06-30-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
ZF9 Vs G900

Only thing I found was the ZF9 has another HDMI port and allows for wireless rear speakers. If you don't want rear speakers...it just seems like 300$ less. I will say before you buy this maybe wait to see about the TCL Ray Danz but doesnt have DTS support but might sound much better in atmos (no one knows yet).
Ok, thanks! That is all I could find too. I only use streaming services, so DTS no big deal. Do not need extra HDMI port as I only have a TV box , which goes into TV , so will just have the ARC connected. I have a TCL TV , so that soundbar could be interesting, I will investigate it.

I can get 30% off SONOS ARC, but it is just extortionate to add their mediocre sub, at that price. And I figure this G700 with sub , will be better than ARC with no sub. Thx
post #850 of 863 Old 06-30-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
ZF9 Vs G900

Thanks for the heads up on the TCL! Watched a couple of YT videos on it, looks just right. Cannot find any release dates (except May 2020 - so not sure what the delay is), cannot find it on pre-order either.
post #851 of 863 Old 06-30-2020, 04:56 PM

The TCL has been released outside of the US just not here yet. As for DTS support I was referring to the TCL. The Sony has both. I did look a bit closer at the G700 and it seems the speaker side/shape is different and the subwoofer looks a bit better. From what I've seen the sounbar is better in terms of sound. Looks like it gives just a tad wider soundstage. I assume after two years they learned how to perfect it better. I just purchased two of them and pick them up tomorrow so I'll let ya know. Best buy has them 100$ off.
post #852 of 863 Old 07-01-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
The TCL has been released outside of the US just not here yet. As for DTS support I was referring to the TCL. The Sony has both. I did look a bit closer at the G700 and it seems the speaker side/shape is different and the subwoofer looks a bit better. From what I've seen the sounbar is better in terms of sound. Looks like it gives just a tad wider soundstage. I assume after two years they learned how to perfect it better. I just purchased two of them and pick them up tomorrow so I'll let ya know. Best buy has them 100$ off.
Cool, would be good to hear your thoughts. Kinda odd to not have wifi in 2020 though, for music streaming apps and important FW upgrades etc.

I have a TCL TV so would love to check out the 9 series soundbar . I emailed TCL USA to ask if they has a launch date, as I am not waiting around too long, and will just buy something else.
post #853 of 863 Old 07-02-2020, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Guys, I'm buying a 75 inch 900H. Will this pair well with it over eARC or should I go with something else? I'm totally new to the Soundbar game.
post #854 of 863 Old 07-02-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Guys, I'm buying a 75 inch 900H. Will this pair well with it over eARC or should I go with something else? I'm totally new to the Soundbar game.
TCL basically told e to FCK off lol.

I have just been looking at JBL....that has just clouded the waters - the 10in sub it comes with makes it a serious consideration.
post #855 of 863 Old 07-02-2020, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
TCL basically told e to FCK off lol.

I have just been looking at JBL....that has just clouded the waters - the 10in sub it comes with makes it a serious consideration.

I don't understand what you're saying. This Sony is not good?
post #856 of 863 Old 07-03-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
He wasnt responding to you it was just a conversation about something else. To answer your questions, the 900 TV eith Earc will work with 99% of any soundbars out there. E-Arc is just the newest input. It will also work with Regular Arc and if that doesnt work optional audio is almost standard on everything. Pick a soundbar in your price range that sounds good and it will work with the TV.
post #857 of 863 Old 07-03-2020, 07:36 AM

So I bought the HT-G700 soundbar and set it up last night and I have mixed reviews. I purchased two of them. In my very small room (full enclosure) I was actually kinda shocked how much sound goes around the room. It never feels above me but it does sound above the TV which is still a nice feature. The Subwooder IMO is kinda just garbage. It adds very little to the soundbar IMO. It just feels small and honestly knew it was there but wasn't adding anything to my movies that I felt punched me enough to enjoy it. If I blased my soundbar it got better but I like listening to it at lower levels because we have a 2 year old. But even blasting it just felt "cheap" You have to make sure PCM is the source from your TV to ensure you can upscale any sound to the "Vertical" sound, if its compressed it will just tell you it can't do it.

Now a stupid bug that I didn't see happening which is why I am going to take 1 of them back is when 1 of my soundbar turn on BOTH subwoofers activate....one in my Bedroom and one in my Den. So it is impossible to watch TV at the sametime. So if my son is playing video games and I am watching TV, the signal is being sent and confusing both Subwoofers. This is pretty bad. This might be common with wireless subwoofers and there might be an easy fix but because I wasn't to happy with the subwoofer anyways I am going to take 1 of them back and get the JBL 9.1 bar. I think that will fit my needs much better for our gaming room...and my bedroom I will just leave the G700.

What I would REALLY love to know is...does the ZF9 sound better then the G700...because the sub looks exactly the same and the bar looks really close also. I feel like they will sound the same, with the G700 being better just because they had 2 years to perfect it. But maybe there is something with the Zf9 that is better (it is 200$ more for some reason...and I guess Wifi/1 more HDMi input is their reason) but the speaker drives/size are all the same.
post #858 of 863 Old 07-03-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I was saying that the Sony 700 only has a 6in sub, but the JLB 3.1 has a 10in 300W sub. However, the 3.1 does not 'mimic' Atmos, but I am skeptical about any system doing that without rears, frankly. I would rather have a good front sound stage , and particularly a good center speaker for muffled dialog , as I really struggle with that on TV speakers.
post #859 of 863 Old 07-03-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
So I bought the HT-G700 soundbar and set it up last night and I have mixed reviews. I purchased two of them. In my very small room (full enclosure) I was actually kinda shocked how much sound goes around the room. It never feels above me but it does sound above the TV which is still a nice feature. The Subwooder IMO is kinda just garbage. It adds very little to the soundbar IMO. It just feels small and honestly knew it was there but wasn't adding anything to my movies that I felt punched me enough to enjoy it. If I blased my soundbar it got better but I like listening to it at lower levels because we have a 2 year old. But even blasting it just felt "cheap" You have to make sure PCM is the source from your TV to ensure you can upscale any sound to the "Vertical" sound, if its compressed it will just tell you it can't do it.

Now a stupid bug that I didn't see happening which is why I am going to take 1 of them back is when 1 of my soundbar turn on BOTH subwoofers activate....one in my Bedroom and one in my Den. So it is impossible to watch TV at the sametime. So if my son is playing video games and I am watching TV, the signal is being sent and confusing both Subwoofers. This is pretty bad. This might be common with wireless subwoofers and there might be an easy fix but because I wasn't to happy with the subwoofer anyways I am going to take 1 of them back and get the JBL 9.1 bar. I think that will fit my needs much better for our gaming room...and my bedroom I will just leave the G700.

What I would REALLY love to know is...does the ZF9 sound better then the G700...because the sub looks exactly the same and the bar looks really close also. I feel like they will sound the same, with the G700 being better just because they had 2 years to perfect it. But maybe there is something with the Zf9 that is better (it is 200$ more for some reason...and I guess Wifi/1 more HDMi input is their reason) but the speaker drives/size are all the same.
Thanks for the review , really helpful !!. My room is open on one side, so this would not be a good fit, especially with that crap sub, which I suspected would be bad. From my understanding, you are right , the ZF9 has the same speakers/ sub. It has the extra HDMI and WIFI , so it is a 'media hub' , I do not think anyone would pay the extra $200 now that the 700 is out, unless you REALLY want the WIFI. I am seriously considering the JBL 9.1 too.

My concern about rear speakers is that my couch is up against the rear wall , so there would the rear speakers would be almost in line with it, is that OK, or does there need to be a few feet gap between the back of sofa and rear wall? THX
post #860 of 863 Old 07-03-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the review , really helpful !!. My room is open on one side, so this would not be a good fit, especially with that crap sub, which I suspected would be bad. From my understanding, you are right , the ZF9 has the same speakers/ sub. It has the extra HDMI and WIFI , so it is a 'media hub' , I do not think anyone would pay the extra $200 now that the 700 is out, unless you REALLY want the WIFI. I am seriously considering the JBL 9.1 too.

My concern about rear speakers is that my couch is up against the rear wall , so there would the rear speakers would be almost in line with it, is that OK, or does there need to be a few feet gap between the back of sofa and rear wall? THX
Honestly with your couch against the back wall I would just set these up on the side of your couch. I dont know if you have a wall on the left or right side of your couch. Because these are truly wireless either mounting them to the walls to the side of your couch or putting them on speaker stands next to your couch. Point them at your couch and ensure the up firing is in range and angled to ensure it bounces toward your sitting position. While this will not be "true" rear speakers it will be coming from behind and the side and will definitely be a different sound profile compared to your front soundbar. With the side shot and the extra up firing you will still feel that bubble atmosphere from the soundbar. That is what I would do. But while the Sony might not work, it comes down to..do you wanna spend the extra 500$ for the new JBL. I am going to for one of my rooms, not for the other.
post #861 of 863 Old 07-03-2020, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the info. My room is like this: when looking at screen , there are french doors directly behind and couch curves all the way around the right wall. The left side is open ( see picks). Where the sofa curves in that corner, there is a large enough gap for a speaker stand ( and there are power outlets) . Could I put one speaker stand to the left ( as looking at TV) and one in that gap in the corner behind couch? If so, should they point inwards or towards the screen? Does it come with the usb charging leads? Thx!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200703_154900_1593806597948.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	2752492   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200703_154911_1593806616411.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	2752494  
post #862 of 863 Old 07-03-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. My room is like this: when looking at screen , there are french doors directly behind and couch curves all the way around the right wall. The left side is open ( see picks). Where the sofa curves in that corner, there is a large enough gap for a speaker stand ( and there are power outlets) . Could I put one speaker stand to the left ( as looking at TV) and one in that gap in the corner behind couch? If so, should they point inwards or towards the screen? Does it come with the usb charging leads? Thx!
Since you seem to not be using the doors behind you this is what I would do. You can accomplish in two ways. 2 Speaker stands would work with this solution pretty well. Put one in the corner where the couch curves (pull it out, place, and push it in). Make sure it's angled toward the two main viewing spots (the other seats to the side will get some rear speaker action but not the best Atmos performance but still will sound good to whoever sits third wheel). The other one needs to be pointed at your other main viewing seat and angled so that the atmos fires up and directly down to the end seat cushion. Downside to it being so close is that you will have to turn the speakers down so they don't overpower the rest of the sounds. So even if your setup tells you one thing, you will probably still need to turn them down to where the sound is subtle compared to the main bar (to give that distance sound effect).

The other way I would tackle this if didnt want to buy speaker stands is just put a corner shelf right above the curver in the couch. Downside is gotta make sure its not to large so the person who might wanna sit there could hit their head. And instead of the small chest off to the side of the couch, put a taller end table there so can put the speaker on it whenever you aren't charging them. That is how I would place the JBL 9.1 system. Keep in mind that if you wish to discuss further I say we move this traffic to the 9.1 discussion thread as I dont wanna derail this one anymore Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture solution.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	2752556  
simonoaks likes this.
post #863 of 863 Old 07-11-2020, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
So for some strange reason my bluray player which was plugged into hdmi1 on the soundbar stopped producing sound out of nowhere. Now when I turn the soundbar off I get sound but when it’s on... nothing. And it acts like I should be hearing sound as in when I mess with the volume it goes up, I can mute it and everything but no sound. Now my Apple TV is plugged into hdmi 2 and I get sound from that. I tried switching them so the player was on hdmi 2 and the Apple was on hdmi 1 and the Apple TV still had sound but not the bluray player. Tried switching out the hdmi cable hooked to the blu ray player and nothing, even tried hooking up another blu ray player and it had no sound either. What the hell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page