Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

post #61 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Wait, does the soundbar comes with a demo disc? Did not get any with ht5000

Sony A9F, LG B6 (retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes nothing big just about 5 min of surrond sound content
post #63 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly02 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
Quote:
Just ps4 pro watching a blueray as we speak, went after work and got the rear speakers listened to some atmos content on utube this thing rocks for what it is and the size of the speakers
That’s not actual Atmos content as an FYI. You only get Atmos from Atmos blu-rays
(players, Xbox, PS4) and games (Xbox only) and from the Dolby access app on LG TV’s and can be downloaded on Xbox and windows 10 PC’s.

I assure you, you’ll know when it’s Atmos. The real Atmos stuff off the app is pretty awesome.
Sony ps4 wont play atmos content on disc
Is this a question or a statement? The PS4 can pass Atmos off blu-rays. Games don’t support it though as they haven’t paid Dolby for the rights.

https://developer.dolby.com/blog/ena...n-playstation/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 AM

Sorry it was a ? And thanks for the answer, so if the playstion is set up right it will decode atmos just not 4k content right? Just upscaled close to 4k?
post #65 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koowall View Post
No i'm affraid, just 4k standard format instead of enhanced.
what does this mean exactly?

according to the sony website it states

Enjoy all your movies in 4K HDR quality
With the latest 4K HDR 18 Gbps pass through and HDCP 2.2, the HT-Z9F is made for the latest home cinema formats.
post #66 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 392
To be honest this thread has been a fragmented mess this week as people are throwing out problems that may or not be true across the masses. I have not seen any diagnostic troubleshooting or any calls to Sony support on the posts that say the SB will NOT pass Full Bandwidth (4K/60Hz at 4.4.4) as indicated by the specs of the unit.
People here that own the SB need to provide better information as to what there setup is and what they are trying to do, what have they done to correct the issue (ie call Sony). All of this in concise wording that doesn't ramble on from post to post. Just my thoughts until mine ships...
Gerry
euckersw and Chubtoad like this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #67 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
To be honest this thread has been a fragmented mess this week as people are throwing out problems that may or not be true across the masses. I have not seen any diagnostic troubleshooting or any calls to Sony support on the posts that say the SB will NOT pass Full Bandwidth (4K/60Hz at 4.4.4) as indicated by the specs of the unit.
People here that own the SB need to provide better information as to what there setup is and what they are trying to do, what have they done to correct the issue (ie call Sony). All of this in concise wording that doesn't ramble on from post to post. Just my thoughts until mine ships...
Gerry
To be honest this is somewhat how I feel right now. Until I get my own I'm just trying to find reviews/impressions. I hope that Mark is going to do a review of the unit as I enjoy reading his reviews/impressions.
post #68 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 12:17 PM

Good news is ya guys should be getting yours soon cant wait to hear your thoughts and reviews
post #69 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Received email from my vendor. It will ship in a month or so.

Long wait for me.
post #70 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 12:48 PM

I'd say wow!! i looked today at the local best buys in my area and over half had them for sale today.
post #71 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I'd say wow!! i looked today at the local best buys in my area and over half had them for sale today.
I just ordered the HT-Z9F from Best Buy with the rear wireless speakers, will use with Sony A1E OLED tv.
It may arrive Friday.....will let you know if it is worth the money.
post #72 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
I checked this morning and the best buy near me says they have a few in stock. However, I really have a hard time coughing up the sales tax compared to ordering on line .
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #73 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild12 View Post
Quote:
I just ordered the HT-Z9F from Best Buy with the rear wireless speakers, will use with Sony A1E OLED tv.
It may arrive Friday.....will let you know if it is worth the money.
Already have mine and love it!!! I paired it to my sony 930e 65in btw nice set you have there!!! That A1E has a sharp picture
wild12 likes this.
post #74 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I checked this morning and the best buy near me says they have a few in stock. However, I really have a hard time coughing up the sales tax compared to
ordering on line [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG].
Gerry
Thats Understandable, i live in illinois they hit me for $ they can lol
post #75 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry it was a ? And thanks for the answer, so if the playstion is set up right it will decode atmos just not 4k content right? Just upscaled close to 4k?
Yes, follow that link for Atmos. As far as upscaling, I assume it does the same as games, upscaled.
post #76 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, follow that link for Atmos. As far as upscaling, I assume it does the same as games, upscaled.
Thanks much appreciated!! I will be trying this out tonight. thanks again😎
post #77 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Gerry
Yeah, I think a couple of people got units with defective passthrough that they should return to the retailer. This happens all the time with soundbars.

Still waiting for someone, anyone to comment on the effectiveness of the virtual height effects

How are they in Dolby mode? Neural:X?
euckersw likes this.

LG B7 65", PS4 Pro, Switch, Roku Premiere+, Samsung K8500, Sennheiser RS185
Denon X4400H, RSL CG23+CG3, Onkyo SKH-410, Emotiva BasX8 (5.1.4)
post #78 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Thanks much appreciated!! I will be trying this out tonight. thanks again😎

Hello, I see that a few people intend to buy or have already purchased soundbar zf9. I have a request for you, can any of you write a short review? how does the soundbar work in music and movies and do you feel the sound of Dolby Atmos, and most importantly how it works with f9 in relation to ht-st 5000. In addition, I would like to know if buying these additional speakers is necessary to experience Dolby Atmos?
post #79 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 241
This is an expensive soundbar for what is offered. I'm interested but I'm going to wait on reviews before I jump.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #80 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
This is an expensive soundbar for what is offered. I'm interested but I'm going to wait on reviews before I jump.
I don't know, I think it seems like a strong value competitor to the popular Sonos and Bose setups, which cost $1700 for 5.1

LG B7 65", PS4 Pro, Switch, Roku Premiere+, Samsung K8500, Sennheiser RS185
Denon X4400H, RSL CG23+CG3, Onkyo SKH-410, Emotiva BasX8 (5.1.4)
post #81 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 06:49 PM

Not disappointed in my purchase at all its exactly what i was waiting for!! Now its time to clean this living room up and get all these speakers off my wall and sell all the copper speaker wire lol😂 wait a couple days reviews of this sb will be coming in, not sure how sony can make those lil speakers dance around my living room like it does, if its all just to fool my ears they do a great job of fooling me!!! So bottom line is with movies anyways the lil speakers might fool my ears but sony didnt cause from what i hear from my ears this sb its doing exactly what sony said it was going to do!! No worries nor regret here cause i feel i made a great purchase.
wild12 likes this.
post #82 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks guys for pointing out that Best Buy has this in stock today. I just got back from picking one up with the surrounds. I've been waiting a few months for this bar to release.

Keep in mind this is my first soundbar. I'm coming from a 5.1 setup with Denon AVR, BIC subwoofer, and Polk Signature Series speakers. Decided I want to minimize my setup and this bar is my first attempt.

I just got everything hooked up but haven't had a chance to play with the settings or audition any movies just yet. Initial impressions are the surrounds are physically tiny compared to the Polk S15s I was using. Both Sony speakers including the box are the same size as one of my Polk S15s lol. Those are technically bookshelf speakers though and not the S10s I should have been using.

The Sony sub did surprise me physically though. It has a decent weight to it and is overall very sturdy. It's about the size of a mid PC tower. The back even looks like one.

I was impressed with the sound bar grill, I like the magnetic clip on style.

Anyone know if there are test tones available on this bar? I would love to be able to dial everything in.

I'll try to play a few movies later tonight and let everyone know how I like it.

My current setup includes a Vizio M75-E1 with ARC to the soundbar and a Roku Premier connected to HDMI 1 on the soundbar. App wise I have access to Vudu and Netflix via either the Roku or built in TV apps.

Unfortunately, the only 4k Vudu movie I currently own is Despicable Me 3.

Let me know if there is anything you guys would like me to test.

Last edited by jmoakk; 04-18-2018 at 09:43 PM.
post #83 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Don't forget the Sony packs it's 3.1 and quasi-Atmos features into 39 inches...most other higher end soundbars are a lot longer, if space considerations are a factor.

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #84 of 734 Old 04-18-2018, 10:57 PM

Well it turns out all I had to do was press the HOME button on the remote to get to all the good stuff. I completely skipped the entire setup and jumped to watching my Roku.

I found the speaker levels which appears to be separate from the level control on the remote for the surrounds and subwoofer. I decided to set the separate level controls on the remote to the mid point at 6 for both the surrounds and sub and then jumped into the menu for speaker levels. I left the LCR at 0db and cranked the volume until I reached 75db on my meter. I then began adjusting the sub and surrounds. The sub ended up matching the LCR at 0db but I had to up the surrounds to +5db.

I also went into the HDMI settings and changed HDMI1 from standard to enhanced. This allowed my roku to auto adjust to 4k HDR 60hz. Before it wasn't passing properly.

I'm currently watching Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Vocals are clear, bass is noticeable but not over powering, and the surrounds are nice and active. Dolby Digital Plus + Vertical Surround Engine is impressive so far.

I'm not sure I have access to any atomos content at the moment but so far I'm happy.

Edit: I just watched the first five minutes of Mad Max and I'm very impressed with the amount of sound this bar can produce.
ggw2000, wild12, jb442386 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by jmoakk; 04-18-2018 at 11:12 PM.
post #85 of 734 Old 04-19-2018, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoakk View Post
Well it turns out all I had to do was press the HOME button on the remote to get to all the good stuff. I completely skipped the entire setup and jumped to watching my Roku.

I found the speaker levels which appears to be separate from the level control on the remote for the surrounds and subwoofer. I decided to set the separate level controls on the remote to the mid point at 6 for both the surrounds and sub and then jumped into the menu for speaker levels. I left the LCR at 0db and cranked the volume until I reached 75db on my meter. I then began adjusting the sub and surrounds. The sub ended up matching the LCR at 0db but I had to up the surrounds to +5db.

I also went into the HDMI settings and changed HDMI1 from standard to enhanced. This allowed my roku to auto adjust to 4k HDR 60hz. Before it wasn't passing properly.

I'm currently watching Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Vocals are clear, bass is noticeable but not over powering, and the surrounds are nice and active. Dolby Digital Plus + Vertical Surround Engine is impressive so far.

I'm not sure I have access to any atomos content at the moment but so far I'm happy.

Edit: I just watched the first five minutes of Mad Max and I'm very impressed with the amount of sound this bar can produce.
Last Jedi is Atmos on the 4K version.
post #86 of 734 Old 04-19-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Last Jedi is Atmos on the 4K version.
Thanks, I currently only own the HDX version. Maybe I'll upgrade it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #87 of 734 Old 04-19-2018, 12:31 PM

Liked: 3
I know it's kind of been mentioned already but just a heads up for those struggling or those yet to get theirs delivered.

You need to go into settings and changed the HDMI inputs to Enhanced to get full enhanced 4K support. Another tip is there is an IR extender built into the unit but is off by default. Again, you can enable this in the settings.

To get true Dolby Atmos using my Xbox One X I had to enable audio to be Bitstream in the xbox audio settings. I was also prompted to download an Atmos app from the Xbox Store.

I'm quite impressed with the power of the sound but not entirely convinced the vertical effect is as great as the couple of reviews I have read. It's certainly a nice wide sound field. I have decided to order a set of rears.
post #88 of 734 Old 04-19-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinblue View Post
I know it's kind of been mentioned already but just a heads up for those struggling or those yet to get theirs delivered.

You need to go into settings and changed the HDMI inputs to Enhanced to get full enhanced 4K support. Another tip is there is an IR extender built into the unit but is off by default. Again, you can enable this in the settings.

To get true Dolby Atmos using my Xbox One X I had to enable audio to be Bitstream in the xbox audio settings. I was also prompted to download an Atmos app from the Xbox Store.

I'm quite impressed with the power of the sound but not entirely convinced the vertical effect is as great as the couple of reviews I have read. It's certainly a nice wide sound field. I have decided to order a set of rears.
I have the surrounds and think I'd be a little disappointed without them. To me the surrounds are more important than Atmos.

wild12, Oil of OLED and tinblue like this.
post #89 of 734 Old 04-19-2018, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoakk View Post
I have the surrounds and think I'd be a little disappointed without them. To me the surrounds are more important than Atmos.

Is there a technical reason the zr5 rears don't work with this sound bar? It's a bummer.
post #90 of 734 Old 04-19-2018, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I just realized that the title of this thread is "ZF9", but the SB is actually "Z9F" haha. Glad to see some reviews rolling in. Trying to decide between this and the N950 to go with the LG C7. Anyone have any compelling arguments to not wait for the pricier N950?

LG OLED65C7 | LG SK10Y w/ SPK8-S | Sony UBP-X700 | Nintendo 64
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page