Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 122Likes

post #1 of 677 Old 01-09-2018, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sony 3.1ch Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Sound bar HT-ZF9

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-zf9

From official site:

"Hear sound from all directions with max 7.1.2 surround sound
Vertical Surround Engine, our latest surround technology lets you enjoy the thrill of the latest cinema audio formats like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X in a single slim unit. No matter what type of room you’re in, its three front speakers reproduce “vertical”, creating virtual surround sound that seems to come from all around you. "

"Everything upscaled close to 7.1.2ch
Now you can enjoy everything you watch in maximum 7.1.2ch sound. "

"Support HDR 10, Dolby Vison, Hybrid-Log Gamma"

And the official First Look Video:

UnnDunn and Scarriere like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 677 Old 03-01-2018, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Soundbar with Dolby Atmos

Hello, I wanted to ask about this soundbar because I have to buy a soundbar from Dolby Atmos for a long time, but I can not decide. First, I had to buy the Sony HT-ST500, but then I read that this Dolby Atmos does not work perfectly. Now they will be released on the market Sony Zf9, Samsung N950 and lg sk10y. What do you think will be the best? It is said that the Sony HT-ST500 still has the best quality if it has a small room size. Do you have any suggestions?
post #3 of 677 Old 03-01-2018, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szymon Mackiewicz View Post
Hello, I wanted to ask about this soundbar because I have to buy a soundbar from Dolby Atmos for a long time, but I can not decide. First, I had to buy the Sony HT-ST500, but then I read that this Dolby Atmos does not work perfectly. Now they will be released on the market Sony Zf9, Samsung N950 and lg sk10y. What do you think will be the best? It is said that the Sony HT-ST500 still has the best quality if it has a small room size. Do you have any suggestions?
If the N950 isn't riddled with the problems of the K series, it will definitely be the best bar of the bunch. K950 + Xbox One combo blew me away, but I had too many problems getting my system to work consistently.

Z9F is meant to be a midrange bar with no upfiring speakers. If ST5000 owners aren't satisfied with their Atmos I tend to doubt the Z9F will be better.

SK10Y is a wait-and-see situation. Hopefully the Meridian tech makes it the best upfiring bar of the bunch.

It's worth it to mention that of all of the options out there, the Nakamichi DTS:X systems seem to have the most satisfied owners. I am going to give the $650 kit a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 677 Old 03-03-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil of OLED View Post
If the N950 isn't riddled with the problems of the K series, it will definitely be the best bar of the bunch. K950 + Xbox One combo blew me away, but I had too many problems getting my system to work consistently.

Z9F is meant to be a midrange bar with no upfiring speakers. If ST5000 owners aren't satisfied with their Atmos I tend to doubt the Z9F will be better.

SK10Y is a wait-and-see situation. Hopefully the Meridian tech makes it the best upfiring bar of the bunch.

It's worth it to mention that of all of the options out there, the Nakamichi DTS:X systems seem to have the most satisfied owners. I am going to give the $650 kit a shot.
Otherwise I will ask you whether you recommend this soundbar Sony zf9 or HT-ST5000 or wait for either lg sk10y or Samsung N950? because this Nakamichi falls out because of the lack of Dolby Atmos staff.
post #5 of 677 Old 03-03-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Otherwise I will ask you whether you recommend this soundbar Sony zf9 or HT-ST5000 or wait for either lg sk10y or Samsung N950? because this Nakamichi falls out because of the lack of Dolby Atmos staff.
ST5000 is the best bar available now even if the Atmos isn't that good. The K950 has amazing Atmos but it has lots of problems. The N950 might work well or it might have lots of problems — impossible to say. Right now I would recommend the ST5000.
TheSonyExperience likes this.
post #6 of 677 Old 03-04-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I have had the k950 for over a year after a Sony 790, 5051 5.1 Vizio , Sony htrt5, Sony htnt5 ,deftech w studio. My Samsung has been the least problematic best sounding of them all minus a few features. Second best was the Sony hunt 5 but riddled with issues and bad customer support aftedpr three I gave up on it. I would recommend the Samsung k950 or wait for the release of the n950. One of the key things to Romberg using these new sound bars premium certified HDMI cables are essential. You can find them very reasonable and useful in eliminating a lot of preconceived issues a lot of people have with today’s technology.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic ubp9000
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #7 of 677 Old 03-05-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
ST5000 is the best bar available now even if the Atmos isn't that good. The K950 has amazing Atmos but it has lots of problems. The N950 might work well or it might have lots of problems — impossible to say. Right now I would recommend the ST5000.
You know, with the fact that I am looking for a Dolby Atmos soundbar, this is for me a priority. If I have to pay this money then I want to have a good Dolby Atmos.
post #8 of 677 Old 03-05-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
You know, with the fact that I am looking for a Dolby Atmos soundbar, this is for me a priority. If I have to pay this money then I want to have a good Dolby Atmos.
I am struggling with whether to keep the Sony for this reason. If you want great Atmos, I would try the Samsung using the Xbox Dolby Access app and see if that works well for you.

If you really care about Atmos maybe just go and get a nice 7 channel Denon receiver w/ room correction and use these for the front+atmos channels: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0148NPIM4?ref=emc_b_5_t. If you have room, 5.1.2 w/ a Denon 730H is going to beat all of these products for roughly the same price.
post #9 of 677 Old 03-05-2018, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
I have had the k950 for over a year after a Sony 790, 5051 5.1 Vizio , Sony htrt5, Sony htnt5 ,deftech w studio. My Samsung has been the least problematic best sounding of them all minus a few features. Second best was the Sony hunt 5 but riddled with issues and bad customer support aftedpr three I gave up on it. I would recommend the Samsung k950 or wait for the release of the n950. One of the key things to Romberg using these new sound bars premium certified HDMI cables are essential. You can find them very reasonable and useful in eliminating a lot of preconceived issues a lot of people have with today’s technology.
If Atmos is your thing then the 950 is without a doubt the best Soundbar with true 5.1.4 Atmos . Using any reL Atmos source did+ or tru hd thru its 2 HDMI inputs. Best sources in this case is any uhd DVD player and any streaming device roku upper end devices that support vudu did+ Atmos. The Xbox one does a lot of fake Atmos and has a lot of issues in other areas. The Nakamichi does not have Atmos does have dtsx but no upfiring speakers though it appears to be a very decent Soundbar. There is a huge difference using one with rear speakers an those without no matter how good or expensive they are.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic ubp9000
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #10 of 677 Old 03-06-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I am struggling with whether to keep the Sony for this reason. If you want great Atmos, I would try the Samsung using the Xbox Dolby Access app and see if that works well for you.

If you really care about Atmos maybe just go and get a nice 7 channel Denon receiver w/ room correction and use these for the front+atmos channels you have room, 5.1.2 w/ a Denon 730H is going to beat all of these products for roughly the same price.

you know what I'm excited about because I have a small room size of just 18 square meters. in general, I was interested in Sony HT-ST5000, but when I heard that new soudbars have to go out from Sony, LG and Samsung, I told myself that I would wait for their premiere and comparison. How can you write this to me how this Samsung k950 presents itself in a steknek to HT-ST5000? What is it about this ST5000 that has a weak Dolby Atmos?
post #11 of 677 Old 03-06-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No separate rear speakers with additional top firing atmos channels.
post #12 of 677 Old 03-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
No separate rear speakers with additional top firing atmos channels.

even how do I have the perfect room for Dolby Atmos? In the tests alone, good grades get? The Samsung n950 is devoid of this disadvantage? Is it known when is the premiere of this Samung? And what do you think about lg sk10y? Sj9 reportedly a very successful soundbar, maybe the successor will be better. And tell me what you think about Sony zf9? from what I read has these back speakers. I just do not understand why it will not be the flagship model from Sony only the whole time st5000 will be it? I have a question whether the defect you mentioned is very audible? when watching movies and playing? Would you wait to buy ht-st5000 and take a model of this year or will the ht-st5000 still be the best model? immediately, I say that set 7. 1 falls away due to the small size of the room
post #13 of 677 Old 03-07-2018, 09:53 AM

Only the Samsung has 4 upfiring speakers. The ST5000 only has 2, and they don't create very convincing height effects. I have had both — the ST5000 sounds significantly better for 95% of what you will watch or listen to. But it can't do Atmos like the Samsung.

At this point, I am excited about the Z9F again. If I could swap the ST5000's upfiring speakers for wireless rears and save a few hundred bucks, that sounds really good to me, and that's what the Z9F appears to do.
TheSonyExperience likes this.

LG B7 65", PS4 Pro, Switch, Roku Premiere+, Samsung K8500, Sennheiser RS185
Denon X4400H, RSL CG23+CG3, Onkyo SKH-410, Emotiva BasX8 (5.1.4)
post #14 of 677 Old 03-07-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Only the Samsung has 4 upfiring speakers. The ST5000 only has 2, and they don't create very convincing height effects. I have had both — the ST5000 sounds significantly better for 95% of what you will watch or listen to. But it can't do Atmos like the Samsung.

At this point, I am excited about the Z9F again. If I could swap the ST5000's upfiring speakers for wireless rears and save a few hundred bucks, that sounds really good to me, and that's what the Z9F appears to do.
Have you tried or investigated the Nakamichi sound bars

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic ubp9000
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #15 of 677 Old 03-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I keep hearing about all these (while mostly minor) issues with the Samsung and Sony soundbars. We're in the market for a new setup and while the Sonos tech comes off as almost ancient now at least you know what you're getting. I want to get a Sony soundbar, but for every positive thing I hear there's a negative person telling me to avoid it.
hingerson likes this.
post #16 of 677 Old 03-07-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:

are you recommending zf9 for movies and games? or wait for Samsung n950? do you know when it has a premiere? because for music I have different equipment, the movies I care most about.
post #17 of 677 Old 03-07-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Have you tried or investigated the Nakamichi sound bars

you know what not, because for me en sounbar is eliminated for lack of support For Dolby Atmos
post #18 of 677 Old 03-07-2018, 01:10 PM

I can't recommend the Z9F because I haven't tried it. Based on my experience with the ST5000, I think the Z9F will be a good product.

For what it is worth, the Neural X mode sounded better on the ST5000 compared to the Dolby option. Makes me care about Atmos a bit less. Also, Nakamichi owners report that its angled drivers do a great job with height in Neural X mode. The only reason I haven't tried the Nakamichi is that to demo one you need to have Best Buy order it which takes 7-10 days. I have been switching Soundbars faster than that, lol.

I returned the ST5000 — $1500+tax is just way too much to pay for an Atmos bar that can't do surround sound. I picked up the Bose soundbar from Costco for $999 (it comes with a compact version of the subwoofer, which should work alright for my smallish viewing room). The setup is a bit of a pain compared to other soundbars but so far I like the performance.
roadscum likes this.
post #19 of 677 Old 04-08-2018, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Surprised this topic is so dead. Amazon has a pre-order ship date of 4/15. Anybody going to take the plunge?
post #20 of 677 Old 04-08-2018, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I can't recommend the Z9F because I haven't tried it. Based on my experience with the ST5000, I think the Z9F will be a good product.

For what it is worth, the Neural X mode sounded better on the ST5000 compared to the Dolby option. Makes me care about Atmos a bit less. Also, Nakamichi owners report that its angled drivers do a great job with height in Neural X mode. The only reason I haven't tried the Nakamichi is that to demo one you need to have Best Buy order it which takes 7-10 days. I have been switching Soundbars faster than that, lol.

I returned the ST5000 — $1500+tax is just way too much to pay for an Atmos bar that can't do surround sound. I picked up the Bose soundbar from Costco for $999 (it comes with a compact version of the subwoofer, which should work alright for my smallish viewing room). The setup is a bit of a pain compared to other soundbars but so far I like the performance.
I recommend adding the VI300 rears to the Bose. Adds a lot to the experience. I've been enjoying the Bose I recently got. Though I must say the Z9F looks interesting. If Sony had a 3.1/5.1 option at the time I probably would have tried it.
post #21 of 677 Old 04-09-2018, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Subscribed.

Spoiler!
post #22 of 677 Old 04-09-2018, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I have been researching the Z9F for a couple weeks now and have read the manual on it. The x9000F was just released yesterday but at being a 2.1 SB it doesn't really thrill me. I've been 2.1 before and now have a 3.1 and feel the difference is significant with the center channel. Of course at 3 Cnotes more for the Z9F it's not trivial. I do wish that it had 3 HDMI inputs on it as it leaves me short one that would satisfy everything that I have hooked to my TV. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a pre-order as the release date is the 15th but still have some reservations.
Still a little foggy as to how they are pulling off the vertical height without any top speakers however? It seems that some people at CES were quite impressed with the unit but of course there have been no "real" world reviews yet that I can find.
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony Z9F 3.1 Soundbar - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #23 of 677 Old 04-09-2018, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I have been researching the Z9F for a couple weeks now and have read the manual on it. The x9000F was just released yesterday but at being a 2.1 SB it doesn't really thrill me. I've been 2.1 before and now have a 3.1 and feel the difference is significant with the center channel. Of course at 3 Cnotes more for the Z9F it's not trivial. I do wish that it had 3 HDMI inputs on it as it leaves me short one that would satisfy everything that I have hooked to my TV. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a pre-order as the release date is the 15th but still have some reservations.
Still a little foggy as to how they are pulling off the vertical height without any top speakers however? It seems that some people at CES were quite impressed with the unit but of course there have been no "real" world reviews yet that I can find.
Gerry
The only review/listening impression I could find was this one from CES:

https://www.stuff.tv/sony/ht-z9f/review

I suspect the Z9F will be great for movies, but there may be better options for music. The Z9F uses 3 full range drivers and their appears to be no porting to extend low range frequency response. The sub is also front ported, which implies they're using the sub to fill out the upper-bass/lower-midrange.
post #24 of 677 Old 04-09-2018, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
The only review/listening impression I could find was this one from CES:

https://www.stuff.tv/sony/ht-z9f/review

I suspect the Z9F will be great for movies, but there may be better options for music. The Z9F uses 3 full range drivers and their appears to be no porting to extend low range frequency response. The sub is also front ported, which implies they're using the sub to fill out the upper-bass/lower-midrange.
Yes, I had read that review previously and they don't seem to think it's too bad a unit. Personally I am not an audiophile but do like nice sound and effects. I would not be using it to listen to music. Just TV and movies from disc or streaming. I may wait awhile to see how it pans out or maybe not .
Gerry
euckersw likes this.

post #25 of 677 Old 04-10-2018, 09:53 PM

I will write immediately that I am from Poland and it is very surprising for me because in Poland this Soundbar is almost in all major stores, but in the Sony Center it is not there and it is not even known when it will be. Always in the US it was all faster and here the review is missing, and what's more on amazon this sounbar will be available only on April 23. can someone explain it to me? I am waiting for this equipment and I am waiting for a review from your forum. Do you know when the review will appear? do reviewers have any locks? as it is in the case of games. This question is addressed to and from the avs forum
post #26 of 677 Old 04-15-2018, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi, I've bought ma ZF9 yesterday and have some problems with it. I've connected HDMI out grom3 soundbar to ARC in tv(55xe9305). Then I've plugged my Ps4 Pro to Hdmi1 and UHD Player Ubp-700x to hdmi2. As for Ps4 sound and visuals are ok. Unfortunatelly I have no sound from UHD player. Hdmi cable is ok, same as of soundbar input. I've tried to connect UHD visuals directly to tv and audio with second hdmi cable to soundbar and it worked but i don't want to use such method cause Ps4 is working normaly. Please help
post #27 of 677 Old 04-15-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koowall View Post
Hi, I've bought ma ZF9 yesterday and have some problems with it. I've connected HDMI out grom3 soundbar to ARC in tv(55xe9305). Then I've plugged my Ps4 Pro to Hdmi1 and UHD Player Ubp-700x to hdmi2. As for Ps4 sound and visuals are ok. Unfortunatelly I have no sound from UHD player. Hdmi cable is ok, same as of soundbar input. I've tried to connect UHD visuals directly to tv and audio with second hdmi cable to soundbar and it worked but i don't want to use such method cause Ps4 is working normaly. Please help
Your post is a little hard to understand. You don't say whether of not your getting a picture on your TV with the X700? You said you have no sound. I assume first off that you are switching the soundbar to HDMI 2 for the X700? Secondly if you are getting a picture on the TV but no sound then you need to go into the "settings" on the X700 and make sure it is set to output sound through the video/audio hdmi connector and not the "audio only" hdmi connector of the X700.
Gerry

post #28 of 677 Old 04-17-2018, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 194
just ordered this from BB, should receive by Friday. I currently have the HT-X9000F which I will probably end up returning due to some intermittent signal issues with both Dolby Vision and HDR10.

LG OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F/SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
post #29 of 677 Old 04-17-2018, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
just ordered this from BB, should receive by Friday. I currently have the HT-X9000F which I will probably end up returning due to some intermittent signal issues with both Dolby Vision and HDR10.
I saw your post over in the 9000F thread on the problems. Guess you didn't get them fixed. I have a preorder in at Crutchfield for the Z9F at this point. Let us know your thoughts on the Z9F when you get it.
Gerry

post #30 of 677 Old 04-17-2018, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I saw your post over in the 9000F thread on the problems. Guess you didn't get them fixed. I have a preorder in at Crutchfield for the Z9F at this point. Let us know your thoughts on the Z9F when you get it.
Gerry
i did not. i have tried switching cables, etc. All my cables are certified premium at 18Gbps. I even have one that claims bandwidth up to 48 Gbps (Belkin Ultra High Speed). Funny thing is I had the HTST5000 as well at one point and had no signal issues using the same cables I'm using now.

Last edited by akadennis; 04-17-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page