Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #301 of 392 Old 06-21-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG55 View Post
Hello,

I have read this Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar can be very fussy about the type and size of the room it is placed in. I am considering the soundbar in a 20X20 foot room with 12-14 foot vaulted ceilings.

Has anyone had experience with high ceilings? Are the height speakers able to reflect off a 14 foot ceiling?

PG55

Your ceiling height should be good, according to the guidelines in the manual. The optimal operating dimensions are from 1-5 meters, so anything under 16 feet or so is acceptable. What I’m hearing from users, (and my own experience) is the Ambeo seems to do better In larger spaces: it needs some room to “breath” and do its thing. You may be pleasantly surprised at how well it performs in your space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PG55 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 392 Old 06-21-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG55 View Post
Hello,

I have read this Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar can be very fussy about the type and size of the room it is placed in. I am considering the soundbar in a 20X20 foot room with 12-14 foot vaulted ceilings.

Has anyone had experience with high ceilings? Are the height speakers able to reflect off a 14 foot ceiling?

PG55

I think your room dimensions are fine, but the vaulted ceilings are an unknown and may be problematic. Any kind of reflective object oriented system "needs" a flat ceiling. My own living room has a central flat section that becomes curved towards the edges, and a soundbar like this would need very careful placement.

A vaulted ceiling will present even more of a challenge, as the reflections will produce rather more complex patterns and possible cancellation effects. Whether the Ambeo can compensate for this is an unknown, and will require experimentation. You might wind up with a diffuse vertical soundfield, because essentially you have more reflective surfaces, and more interactions between the reflections.
mirekti and PG55 like this.
post #303 of 392 Old 06-22-2019, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is the dialog from the center speaker nice and clear even during action scenes for those that have the bar so far? I have the LGsk10y and that is the only issue I have with it. When there is a lot of action the voices get real low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 392 Old 06-22-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitechicguy View Post
Is the dialog from the center speaker nice and clear even during action scenes for those that have the bar so far? I have the LGsk10y and that is the only issue I have with it. When there is a lot of action the voices get real low.

Definitely. This is one of the strengths of the system. Dialogue, spatial cues, background content, all of it has its own unique space, and the result is this wonderful canvas of sound. It’s really remarkable.

post #305 of 392 Old 06-22-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wanted to share some observations after playing the Dolby Atmos disc on my Ambeo:
-you have to increase the volume some to get maximum effect
-the surround and Atmos effects are spectacular! I honestly don’t think my dedicated room was any better. Close your eyes, and you’re fully immersed. This is all I hoped in this area and more!
-I was getting sound behind me, which I hadn’t been getting prior to running the Atmos disc and increasing the volume. I’m learning if you listen at a low level, you’re compromising the surround effects. This baby can do 360 surround!
-I would say the bass is equivalent to a decent 8” subwoofer, which is saying a lot, considering it only has 4” drivers. For most people, Bass is adequate. For myself, I may experiment with dedicated subs. For most music, and even most films, the bass will be sufficient, and again, hugely impressive for a box of this size. If you can’t or won’t mess with a sub, I think most people would be more than satisfied with the bass response.
- the sound quality really is first rate: can’t emphasis that enough. I don’t like coming across as a fanboy, but this soundbar really knocks it out of the park. It redefines what’s possible in a one box solution. I was thinking yesterday for what it’s able to do, the price is quite reasonable. For those who aren’t able to pony up the $2500, I’ve heard they’re developing smaller and less expensive options .

post #306 of 392 Old 06-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Quote:

Definitely. This is one of the strengths of the system. Dialogue, spatial cues, background content, all of it has its own unique space, and the result is this wonderful canvas of sound. It’️s really remarkable.

Thank you I appreciate that. I am wondering how it would work for my room. It’s not large but not real small either and I have the rears for the LG which those do really well. Will the rear sound perform depending on the room since there’s no speakers?
post #307 of 392 Old 06-23-2019, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you I appreciate that. I am wondering how it would work for my room. It’s not large but not real small either and I have the rears for the LG which those do really well. Will the rear sound perform depending on the room since there’s no speakers?

Since I haven’t heard your LG’s, a direct comparison is not possible, but I can compare them to my dedicated setup with real (not virtual) speakers, and the Ambeo compares very favorably. You do need reasonably high volume levels to achieve this, however, since the surround sound depends on reflections.
As long as your room is within the Ambeo guidelines (1-5 meters from sides of soundbar to side wall and top of soundbar to ceiling, from just over 3 feet to as much as 16 feet), you should have good results. Also, it’s important to run the included calibration to optimize your particular room to the Ambeo. Only takes a couple of minutes as is very simple.
More on dialogue clarity: the Ambeo includes a Dolby Dialogue Normalizer if the default setting is not to your liking. There is also an equalizer. I haven’t experimented with either of these, since I found the default settings (with 3D Ambeo and boost) to be so satisfying. I’d be very surprised if you couldn’t get dialogue clarity with this kit to your liking, and if your experience is anything like mine, you’ll be blown away by the performance this device is capable of. Good luck, and happy to help with any other questions/concerns.

post #308 of 392 Old 06-23-2019, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Since I haven’t heard your LG’s, a direct comparison is not possible, but I can compare them to my dedicated setup with real (not virtual) speakers, and the Ambeo compares very favorably. You do need reasonably high volume levels to achieve this, however, since the surround sound depends on reflections.
As long as your room is within the Ambeo guidelines (1-5 meters from sides of soundbar to side wall and top of soundbar to ceiling, from just over 3 feet to as much as 16 feet), you should have good results. Also, it’s important to run the included calibration to optimize your particular room to the Ambeo. Only takes a couple of minutes as is very simple.
More on dialogue clarity: the Ambeo includes a Dolby Dialogue Normalizer if the default setting is not to your liking. There is also an equalizer. I haven’t experimented with either of these, since I found the default settings (with 3D Ambeo and boost) to be so satisfying. I’d be very surprised if you couldn’t get dialogue clarity with this kit to your liking, and if your experience is anything like mine, you’ll be blown away by the performance this device is capable of. Good luck, and happy to help with any other questions/concerns.

I took the movie mode put the ambeo to boost like I suggested to everyone and put up the brilliance and clarity just a tad. And in my opinion it blows away the default settings.
post #309 of 392 Old 06-23-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelmi Salgado View Post
I took the movie mode put the ambeo to boost like I suggested to everyone and put up the brilliance and clarity just a tad. And in my opinion it blows away the default settings.

I will try that, many thanks for the tip!

post #310 of 392 Old 06-23-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloop View Post
Gosh. Been avoiding this thread, sorry guys. I'd hate to admit this, but I'll have to agree with Azurik on this one. I'm not getting "wowed" when I hear the Ambeo.

The effects are faint. I borrowed a Dolby demo disc with Atmos sample effects. The disc consists of various effects from movies and music. Clarity is fine. The effects, though, are faint. Even when the pink noise generated test tones of 5.1.4 as that specified by Sennheiser were played, the backwall sounds are weak.

As you may know, I used this unit for bedroom viewing. This means that the bed header is very close to the wall. However, surround sound or even regular stereo is best heard when a chair is at least 3-feet from the wall. So I had it recalculated with the mike in the center and I'd sit at that spot to simulate normal surround seating, leaving air from behind. The surround, mostly the back, is still faint.

In the same room of several years ago when I'd play old Dolby movies, I had dedicated ceiling speakers and it was great. The loudspeakers still exist although I've long ago removed the equipment. I suppose I'm spoiled. But this bothers me because that was old technology and I was happy, then.

I played my favorite "Indiana Jones - Temple Of Doom" the beginning scene "Anything Goes". I remember having involvement with tap dancing of the dancing girls from all around. Not as much shoe to floor tapping sounds from all around, now. Sure, it's only a soundbar, no physical loudspeakers from top. But now it's Atmos. And I played the Dolby demo disc again to the same result.

As Stewrt mentioned, the app has difficulty in pairing with it.

In the beginning, it logged and paired. In fact, as I had ambient music playing softly on my Sony music server at my living room, it paired with that one! I discovered this as I was setting it up; I felt a slight vibration in the soundbar. A good thing, I thought. At least it sees WiFi before even telling it to. And it did. Later, it got screwed up, though. My iPad also lost WiFi. On my NightHawk modem/router, I noticed an unusual occurrence. The username and password changed.

The router settings were restored. I must point out that it's been raining and very humid in the east, these days. Humidity effects WiFi reception some.

I know these things happen and this may be an individual problem, but this never happened before and I thought worth mentioning. Plus, when I moved the working router closer in the same room as the Ambeo, it didn't matter whether it was WiFi or Ethernet hard wired. Now doesn't see WiFi or internet at all although all other devices (the television, Blu-ray player, iPad) do.

I'll have to do a thorough troubleshoot. My Oppo UDP-203 is new technology. I'll switch to my second Oppo, their highest level machine UDP-205, later. I'd hate to give up. Maybe (I hope) I'm doing something wrong. Initially, it paired with the app and received its update. I think it's important that I have this paired again for better settings with its app, first.
Bloop,

I followed directions from Delirium on the next page and it fixed the app.:
Go into the Bluetooth options on your phone and click the information bubble next to the ambeo and select forget this device. Then open the smart control app and there should be an option to disconnect the ambeo from the app. From the smart control app, you now want to re-add the ambeo as a new device.

Is anyone else having trouble with the sub out? My sub could be the issue, but but wanted to check because I'm not sure of the next troubleshooting step.

Stewrt
post #311 of 392 Old 06-23-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewrt View Post
Bloop,

I followed directions from Delirium on the next page and it fixed the app.:

Go into the Bluetooth options on your phone and click the information bubble next to the ambeo and select forget this device. Then open the smart control app and there should be an option to disconnect the ambeo from the app. From the smart control app, you now want to re-add the ambeo as a new device.

Is anyone else having trouble with the sub out? My sub could be the issue, but but wanted to check because I'm not sure of the next troubleshooting step.

Stewrt

Please post when you find a solution.

post #312 of 392 Old 06-23-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the information I really appreciate it. I definitely would run the calibration. Ill have to see. I have only had the LG for a little over a year but am really thinking of selling it and getting this one.
post #313 of 392 Old 06-23-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the information I really appreciate it. I definitely would run the calibration. Ill have to see. I have only had the LG for a little over a year but am really thinking of selling it and getting this one.

If you decide to go with the Ambeo, please let us know how it goes

post #314 of 392 Old 06-24-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know how this would compare to something like a monitor audio apex 5.1 for quality sound?
post #315 of 392 Old 06-24-2019, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Does anyone know if this is already compatible with Logitech Harmony remote Hub? I use that remote with my current Onkyo receiver setup for switching between "activities". Just wondering since this is Sennheiser's first entry into home audio speakers.
post #316 of 392 Old 06-24-2019, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ambeo codes on Harmony

I don't know yet because my unit is still on order, but I am expecting to have to program the IR codes myself. And then at some point we will get the IP codes. But with this being a first IR device from a boutique company, I do not have faith Logitech will have the codes in their system. But two high points. As more of us keep submitting identical code sets, they will be included. And until then, we have mutual support. Keep in touch if you get the Sennheiser.
post #317 of 392 Old 06-25-2019, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinman082 View Post
Does anyone know if this is already compatible with Logitech Harmony remote Hub? I use that remote with my current Onkyo receiver setup for switching between "activities". Just wondering since this is Sennheiser's first entry into home audio speakers.
If you hook up your Harmony remote to your computer and click on "Add Device" then enter Sennheiser>Ambeo Soundbar there's currently no such option available. You'll have to train the Harmony remote. Unless Harmony adds the Ambeo Soundbar to it's list of devices in short order that's your best option.

I've emailed Harmony support and asked them when they plan on adding it to their list of devices. If more people request the addition of this device perhaps it will speed up its inclusion.
Here's Harmony's email for support: https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/contact-us
post #318 of 392 Old 06-27-2019, 03:44 PM

For those who have their soundbar already, have you been able to control it using the Google Home app? Of using the Google Home/Google assistant for audio control, etc.
post #319 of 392 Old 06-27-2019, 03:44 PM

Digital Trends released their written and video review of the Ambeo today.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/sound-...undbar-review/
post #320 of 392 Old 06-27-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Sounds really good but I do run everything through ARC. Has it really been a big problem for anyone so far?
post #321 of 392 Old 06-27-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds really good but I do run everything through ARC. Has it really been a big problem for anyone so far?

I use the Ambeo as a preamp, and run one cable to the TV, and this has worked well for me. No noticeable latency or issues, once properly configured.

post #322 of 392 Old 06-27-2019, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
ARC is convenient, but don't expect it to run every format.

If you're expecting Atmos or Dolby-X to work under ARC, it won't. My television is ARC and it didn't work. When my BD player would play Dolby Atmos content, although the Ambeo is compatible, Atmos wouldn't work because HDMI connection was passing through the TV.

To solve this, being that my BD player is equipped with multiple HDMI outputs, one normal HDMI would be plugged into the TV for the images and a separate audio only HDMI would be plugged into the Ambeo.

If you rely on just the one eARC and your TV is ARC, it'll work, however you just won't get the better quality if your movie has it.

To see what's happening, keep your Bluetooth device on with the Smart Control app. Verification of the working codec can be seen in the app's home page while the actual movie is playing.

Now, let's say we'd do things the opposite way: to connect the disc players into the Ambeo via HDMI, and then from the Ambeo to the television via ARC or eARC, you'd get sound but no picture. Well, I suppose it's best like I done above with the dedicated HDMI for audio only, something not all disc players have.

Last edited by TheBloop; 06-27-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #323 of 392 Old 06-27-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use the Ambeo as a preamp, and run one cable to the TV, and this has worked well for me. No noticeable latency or issues, once properly configured.

Let me disclose one caveat: I’m currently running a Tivo box as my tv source, using input 1 on the Ambeo for this purpose. It’s necessary to go into the tv’s settings (Pioneer Kuro, in my case), and make the Ambeo the source for sound, disabling the tv’s own audio. When I turn the tv on, the Ambeo also turns on (as it should), but once it warms up, the Ambeo turns itself to HDMI TV, and I need to manually switch it input 1. Haven’t yet found a solution for this. Any owners encounter this and can provide a solution?

post #324 of 392 Old 06-27-2019, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm planning on running an LG C9 from its eARC HDMI out, to the Ambeo's eARC input....and will for the time being stream from the TV apps (Netflix - Amazon - Hulu) for my content. In this scenario, based on what you guys are saying, I'd likely have the syncing issues that Digital Trends notes in the review?
post #325 of 392 Old 06-27-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Ruiz View Post
I'm planning on running an LG C9 from its eARC HDMI out, to the Ambeo's eARC input....and will for the time being stream from the TV apps (Netflix - Amazon - Hulu) for my content. In this scenario, based on what you guys are saying, I'd likely have the syncing issues that Digital Trends notes in the review?

eARC is supposed to solve syncing issues, but given ARC’s track record, there’s reason to be skeptical.

post #326 of 392 Old 06-27-2019, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

A fine review. I've just become a Digital Trends fan.

They said it just like it is. A great soundbar with app hiccups.
post #327 of 392 Old 06-27-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I have had lip sync issues with everything I get on it. I have everything connected to the soundbar and one HDMI from the soundbar to the TV, any advice on how to fix this???
It is just like the guy said its SO close to being correct that I stare at lips a lot seeing if its right.

Last edited by Guelmi Salgado; 06-27-2019 at 07:48 PM.
post #328 of 392 Old 06-28-2019, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
For those who have their soundbar already, have you been able to control it using the Google Home app? Of using the Google Home/Google assistant for audio control, etc.
Yes, it works wonderfully.
post #329 of 392 Old 06-28-2019, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
FWIW, Cnet's review is up. I can't post links yet. Ty Pendlebury calls it the best Atmos soundbar he's heard. I would take it with a grain of salt, since his comparisons don't include the Q90 or the Nakamichis.
post #330 of 392 Old 06-28-2019, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelmi Salgado View Post
I have had lip sync issues with everything I get on it. I have everything connected to the soundbar and one HDMI from the soundbar to the TV, any advice on how to fix this???
It is just like the guy said its SO close to being correct that I stare at lips a lot seeing if its right.
I watched the same review and I understood the guy to say that after having tried 3 different tv's with ARC connected to the Ambeo's eARC output he experienced lip synch issues
but that he also had his source devices connected to the tv's not the soundbar. He recommended, if possible, the source devices be connected to the soundbar which would eliminate the lip sync issue.

You're saying that you have your source devices connected to the soundbar and the Ambeo's eARC connected to your tv's HDMI ARC HDMI port and you're still getting lip sync issues?
If I've understood you correctly then check your tv's sound preference and see if you have A/V sync preference set to "on". If so try it set to "off".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page