Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 105Likes

post #421 of 572 Old 07-20-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirekti View Post
It might be there is a fq range in which the calibration chooses the "perfect" point and phase for blending the sub with the soundbar. I hope that's the only thing Senn's calibration does for the subwoofer.

My current plan is to add three subs, and rung MSO Sub optimizer on them. Once miniDSP is configured for those three subs, I'd connect them to the bar and do Senn's calibration. ...the time will tell.

Please report your impressions after you get the subs up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 572 Old 07-21-2019, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just bought myself the SVS sb 3000 subwoofer for my Ambeo, i think it will arrive tuesday. Excited what kind of a difference it will give.
post #423 of 572 Old 07-21-2019, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Anyone know how to boost the center channel and lower the rest?

I have tried messing with DRC and dialog normalization and none really does much.

What I am trying accomplish is boost the center to hear the dialogue better while lowering the effects. This is mainly for night time listening.

I don't find the Sennheiser "nighttime" feature to very useful.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 572 Old 07-21-2019, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
A key wife question - does this integrate into spotify? Currently have a playbar which shows up in spotify connect and also for google hub, so would hope/expect that this should as well with the cast support?

Couple of questions on room (aware of the generic challenges, question is how/does the callibration handles them)

1. seen a few pages back questions on vaulted ceiling (triangle) but has anyone tried this setup with it?

2. No rear wall - likely to be an issue? It's open plan so has a 10m run to the back, but the back then has a large opening
Similarly, the left side has the same opening after 3.6m

Overall room is large which seems better from the consensus.

Anyone use Home Assistant - any joy in linking it up to HA? I have my LG oled and sonos configured.
post #425 of 572 Old 07-21-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanq View Post
1. seen a few pages back questions on vaulted ceiling (triangle) but has anyone tried this setup with it?

2. No rear wall - likely to be an issue? It's open plan so has a 10m run to the back, but the back then has a large opening
1. Not sure how it could work with vaulted ceiling, there's nothing to bounce the sound back to your spot. At least not in a way the flat ceiling would do.
2. Same as the ceiling, plus extra hole you have after 3.6m

I don't think this soundbar is for you. At least not if you wanted to get that 3D sound.
It might work as a "regular" soundbar pretty well.
post #426 of 572 Old 07-21-2019, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanq View Post
A key wife question - does this integrate into spotify? Currently have a playbar which shows up in spotify connect and also for google hub, so would hope/expect that this should as well with the cast support?

Couple of questions on room (aware of the generic challenges, question is how/does the callibration handles them)

Overall room is large which seems better from the consensus.

Anyone use Home Assistant - any joy in linking it up to HA? I have my LG oled and sonos configured.
I have told Google to play *enter music* on Ambeo... and it automatically played what I asked for over the Ambeo soundbar. As long as you have spotify as your preferred music source on your Google Home app it will play from there just like any other "cast" device.
post #427 of 572 Old 07-22-2019, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I finally decided to add a sub to my Ambeo. As much as the bass is impressive for an all-in-one solution, I was really missing that low down, hit you in the chest, bass.

I decided to call SVS, PSA, HSU, and Rhythmik today, in hopes of getting some insight directly from the manufacturers.

A little background, I am using the Ambeo in a NYC bedroom, so space is somewhat of an issue. The room is 14.5' L x 13.5' W x 8' H with hardwood floor. As the Ambeo is sitting on top of my dresser, I do not want a sub that is going to protrude too far out into the room, which left me with a roughly 20" depth limitation.

After reaching out to all four manufacturers, the suggestion across the board was to go with a sealed sub. SVS recommended the SB-2000, PSA recommended the S1510 or S1510DF, HSU recommended the ULS-15 MK2, and Rhythmik recommended the L22.

Needless to say, I can't make up my mind whatsoever and was hoping someone who has experience with some/all of these subs could help me make up my mind.

Thanks in advance!
post #428 of 572 Old 07-23-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Engadget's review is up.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/23/...undbar-review/

To me, the most valuable part of the review is the reviewer seems to have had a vaulted ceiling, and still was very happy with the results after calibration.
mirekti, New24K and Karthus like this.
post #429 of 572 Old 07-23-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Could someone confirm if it is possible to turn off both displays or they at least go off after few seconds after one stops interacting with it?
post #430 of 572 Old 07-23-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium305 View Post
I finally decided to add a sub to my Ambeo. As much as the bass is impressive for an all-in-one solution, I was really missing that low down, hit you in the chest, bass.

I decided to call SVS, PSA, HSU, and Rhythmik today, in hopes of getting some insight directly from the manufacturers.

A little background, I am using the Ambeo in a NYC bedroom, so space is somewhat of an issue. The room is 14.5' L x 13.5' W x 8' H with hardwood floor. As the Ambeo is sitting on top of my dresser, I do not want a sub that is going to protrude too far out into the room, which left me with a roughly 20" depth limitation.

After reaching out to all four manufacturers, the suggestion across the board was to go with a sealed sub. SVS recommended the SB-2000, PSA recommended the S1510 or S1510DF, HSU recommended the ULS-15 MK2, and Rhythmik recommended the L22.

Needless to say, I can't make up my mind whatsoever and was hoping someone who has experience with some/all of these subs could help me make up my mind.

Thanks in advance!

I can wholeheartedly recommend PSA: great products, and equally important, (at least to me) outstanding customer service. Also, if you ever need to upgrade, you can turn used gear for credit toward new (important when you’re dealing with subs which can be tough to sell). These are very high performance and high value.
My second choice would be Rythmik, also great products and customer service, though I found the PSA subs to be more durable.
HSU offers great bang for the buck, but I’ve never actually owned any of their products, so can’t comment further.
SVS would be 4th, due to reliability concerns. Also, I believe much of what you’re paying for is in their extensive marketing budget, unlike the other vendors you referenced. Best of luck whatever you decide, and please post impressions when you get it all dialed in.

post #431 of 572 Old 07-23-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirekti View Post
Could someone confirm if it is possible to turn off both displays or they at least go off after few seconds after one stops interacting with it?
The ambeo logo/light can be dimmed down to completely off via the app settings. The OLED can be dimmed down, but in my experience it is still too bright. I contacted sennheiser to suggest an auto-off feature for the OLED display.

In the meantime, a workaround is to go into the app settings and find the input options. If you click the little pencil/edit icon, you can rename each input.. or, in this case, rename it to just a space with no text. This will result in a blank OLED display. Of course this will make determining the current input a bit more difficult, but it’s an acceptable work around for me.. at least for now.
mirekti likes this.
post #432 of 572 Old 07-24-2019, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 144
My list is down to the following:
1. Senn Ambeo Bar [£2,200]
2. Bowers and Wilkins formation bar and sub. Using AirPlay from my AppleTV for all content. [£1,800 for both bar/sub].
3. Naim Muso2. [£1,300]
4. Sony HT-ST5000. Cnet stated it is better for music vs Ambeo bar and has more punch. [£1,200].
post #433 of 572 Old 07-24-2019, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Cnet stated Ambeo Bar is harsh sounding with music even with different audio modes. Is this correct.

I sold my Bose soundbar as hated the harsh sound
post #434 of 572 Old 07-24-2019, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
Cnet stated Ambeo Bar is harsh sounding with music even with different audio modes. Is this correct.

I saw this also and as an owner of the Ambeo, was very shocked. To my ears it’s the exact opposite: detailed without any harshness whatsoever, with lots of layering and tremendous imaging. Hopefully there’s a way for you to demo it and hear for yourself. If not, take that review as an outlier because no one else who’s heard it is calling it harsh that I’ve seen or read.

post #435 of 572 Old 07-24-2019, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I saw this also and as an owner of the Ambeo, was very shocked. To my ears it’s the exact opposite: detailed without any harshness whatsoever, with lots of layering and tremendous imaging. Hopefully there’s a way for you to demo it and hear for yourself. If not, take that review as an outlier because no one else who’s heard it is calling it harsh that I’ve seen or read.

Not possible to listen to it as not available on demo anywhere.
post #436 of 572 Old 07-24-2019, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I just connected the svs sb 3000 sub to my ambeo and the result is phenomenal.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BLA-L29 met Tapatalk
post #437 of 572 Old 07-24-2019, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

A few other review sites said that the Ambeo was great with music.

I don't know how it could be bad if you at least turn off the Ambeo setting.

I highly advise against the Sony HT-ST5000. *vomit* Had it for a week. Dialogue on it is horrendous and the sound is very flat/2D. The Atmos speakers did little to nothing. The center channel/dialogue comes out of a Single 2" woofer hence why the dialogue is awful. Required raising and lowering of the volume every minute. This is why I can't trust reviews from WhatHifi/SoundGuys etc. anymore who gave it 5/5 stars.

I ended up getting the Sonos Beam, two Ones and the sub. Sounds so much better in every way - fuller, more natural sound that fills the room with the rears and always clear dialogue. Even without DTS, it still sounds better playing Blu rays encoded in that.
hingerson, mirekti and Soundizer17 like this.
post #438 of 572 Old 07-24-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtagh View Post
Engadget's review is up.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/23/...undbar-review/

To me, the most valuable part of the review is the reviewer seems to have had a vaulted ceiling, and still was very happy with the results after calibration.
It looks like the soundbar is against the wall on the right. Is that the case? Very similar to the setup I have.
post #439 of 572 Old 07-24-2019, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGood View Post
A few other review sites said that the Ambeo was great with music.

I don't know how it could be bad if you at least turn off the Ambeo setting.

I highly advise against the Sony HT-ST5000. *vomit* Had it for a week. Dialogue on it is horrendous and the sound is very flat/2D. The Atmos speakers did little to nothing. The center channel/dialogue comes out of a Single 2" woofer hence why the dialogue is awful. Required raising and lowering of the volume every minute. This is why I can't trust reviews from WhatHifi/SoundGuys etc. anymore who gave it 5/5 stars.

I ended up getting the Sonos Beam, two Ones and the sub. Sounds so much better in every way - fuller, more natural sound that fills the room with the rears and always clear dialogue. Even without DTS, it still sounds better playing Blu rays encoded in that.
Thank you. Are you getting the Ambeo Bar?

Driver size is significantly larger on Ambeo Bar, but then one could get 2 speakers with much larger drivers: Elac UniFi / KEF LS50 / Klipsch, etc, etc.
post #440 of 572 Old 07-25-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. Are you getting the Ambeo Bar?

Driver size is significantly larger on Ambeo Bar, but then one could get 2 speakers with much larger drivers: Elac UniFi / KEF LS50 / Klipsch, etc, etc.

Yes, I thought about separate speakers, but in order to get surround, you’d need a receiver and additional speakers. I like the surround the Ambeo offers, the one box solution and the auto cal, and after having lived with it awhile, it’s a keeper.

Soundizer17 likes this.
post #441 of 572 Old 07-26-2019, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Yes, I thought about separate speakers, but in order to get surround, you’d need a receiver and additional speakers. I like the surround the Ambeo offers, the one box solution and the auto cal, and after having lived with it awhile, it’s a keeper.

Yes as it is £200 more than KEF LS50 Wireless, further consideration if music listening is also important.
post #442 of 572 Old 07-26-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes as it is £200 more than KEF LS50 Wireless, further consideration if music listening is also important.

Yes, excellent point

post #443 of 572 Old 07-29-2019, 01:35 AM

Liked: 3
post #444 of 572 Old 07-29-2019, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I wonder if a truly immersive sound bar system with wireless surrounds is truly possible.

Given the astonishing review that home theater review just gave to a wireless b&w wireless speaker (2 channel) maybe the answer is to wait for a manufacturer to do the same with a 5.1.4 one, which is inevitable...
post #445 of 572 Old 07-29-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbr View Post
I wonder if a truly immersive sound bar system with wireless surrounds is truly possible.

Given the astonishing review that home theater review just gave to a wireless b&w wireless speaker (2 channel) maybe the answer is to wait for a manufacturer to do the same with a 5.1.4 one, which is inevitable...

It's what samsung has been doing for a couple years now, and I think klipsch is going to be offering something like that as well.
post #446 of 572 Old 07-29-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcAlbert View Post

Thanks for posting. Another rave!

Soundizer17 likes this.
post #447 of 572 Old 08-01-2019, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Richer Sounds Limited in UK is expected to have 1 soon. They were just contacted by Sennheiser to supply a demo unit.
post #448 of 572 Old 08-02-2019, 06:29 AM

Liked: 3
Another review, Gizmodo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo...1836736895/amp

This one frustrated by ARC issues.
TheBloop likes this.
post #449 of 572 Old 08-03-2019, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcAlbert View Post
Another review, Gizmodo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo...1836736895/amp

This one frustrated by ARC issues.
One thing unclear - if your TV does support eARC will there still be lip sync issues?

Last edited by Soundizer17; 08-03-2019 at 04:54 AM.
post #450 of 572 Old 08-03-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One thing unclear - if your TV does support eARC will there still be lip sync issues?

I think the jury’s still out on this question, particularly given the fact that’s it’s only recently been introduced. A work around is to use the Ambeo as a sort of preamp, plugging all your sources directly into into it and one connection from the Ambeo to the TV. This approach appears to bypass the potential issues with lip syncing and has worked well for me. YMMV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page